Advertisement

by Chestaan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:22 am

by Fahran » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:30 am
Chestaan wrote:One of the issues I have with the believe her thing is that statistics with regard to "false rape claims" are often trotted out. I've seen numbers like only 1% or 2% of all rape claims are false.

by Galloism » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:55 am
Fahran wrote:Chestaan wrote:One of the issues I have with the believe her thing is that statistics with regard to "false rape claims" are often trotted out. I've seen numbers like only 1% or 2% of all rape claims are false.
The numbers are actually a bit higher than that and, anyhow, it's fallacious to apply general statistics to a specific case in the manner that some have attempted. Ninety percent of people might be heterosexual but that does not mean that in talking to a particular person you have not stumbled onto someone who is gay or bisexual. It's the same with an accused person. So, essentially, even if we grant the basic presumptions behind the argument, it's still a bad argument.

by Proctopeo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:05 pm
Galloism wrote:Fahran wrote:The numbers are actually a bit higher than that and, anyhow, it's fallacious to apply general statistics to a specific case in the manner that some have attempted. Ninety percent of people might be heterosexual but that does not mean that in talking to a particular person you have not stumbled onto someone who is gay or bisexual. It's the same with an accused person. So, essentially, even if we grant the basic presumptions behind the argument, it's still a bad argument.
I mean, in any crime, if I was sitting on a jury, and I felt there was a 2% chance the person didn't do the crime, you know what I would call that?

by Fahran » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:05 pm
Proctopeo wrote:Reasonable doubt?

by Chestaan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:09 pm
Galloism wrote:Fahran wrote:The numbers are actually a bit higher than that and, anyhow, it's fallacious to apply general statistics to a specific case in the manner that some have attempted. Ninety percent of people might be heterosexual but that does not mean that in talking to a particular person you have not stumbled onto someone who is gay or bisexual. It's the same with an accused person. So, essentially, even if we grant the basic presumptions behind the argument, it's still a bad argument.
I mean, in any crime, if I was sitting on a jury, and I felt there was a 2% chance the person didn't do the crime, you know what I would call that?

by Hirota » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:15 pm
It's part of the fundamental human experience that if there are two people involved, there will be three different versions of events. And it's the same when it comes to interactions of a sexual nature.Chestaan wrote:One of the issues I have with the believe her thing is that statistics with regard to "false rape claims" are often trotted out. I've seen numbers like only 1% or 2% of all rape claims are false.
But how do we know? Then I saw that the number came from the fact that that was the percentage of claims that were either withdrawn or proven to be untrue, which is obviously not the entire number. Many rape claims don't even make it to the authorities, and so, false or not, are not counted. It is also likely that some cases which were not withdrawn or proven to be untrue were false claims but were not proven to be so.
Basically, its the equivalent of someone saying that only x% of rape claims are true, because those were the ones that were proven to be true. Its equally as wrong and equally as baffling as how otherwise intelligent people run with this statistic.

by Galloism » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:40 pm

by Costa Fierro » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:36 pm
Chestaan wrote:But how do we know?

by Suhkkot » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:43 pm

by Galloism » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:49 pm
Suhkkot wrote:we have extensive psychological knowledge on how to tell apart a false report from a true one

by Suhkkot » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:54 pm

by Galloism » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:03 pm
Suhkkot wrote:Galloism wrote:We do? Please share.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... llegations
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10. ... 0701770286
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5775371/
Let me introduce myself, I'm an abnormal psychology student, I'm going for my PhD in the field. I certainly do not agree with all aspects of feminism, but the Brett Kavanaugh case has disgusted me to my core. I believe Dr. Ford was denied justice. I believe she is telling the truth.
The two categories of false allegation both contained more rape myths than the true allegations but no differences were found between the generated and withdrawn false allegations.
False allegations of rape were defined as deliberate fabrications of rape while the complainant was not raped. A case was added to the sample of false allegations if the complainant retracted the allegation and said that the allegation was, in fact, false and no rape whatsoever had occurred. Also, the alternative scenario had to be supported by corroborative and conclusive evidence. Thus, a retraction was the first and necessary step, the second step was a thorough investigation to proof that the allegation was false, and the third step was evidence of what truly happened which corroborated the retraction or confession of the complainant. For instance, a complainant said that she was raped in an alley.

by Suhkkot » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:06 pm
Galloism wrote:Suhkkot wrote:https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... llegations
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10. ... 0701770286
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5775371/
Let me introduce myself, I'm an abnormal psychology student, I'm going for my PhD in the field. I certainly do not agree with all aspects of feminism, but the Brett Kavanaugh case has disgusted me to my core. I believe Dr. Ford was denied justice. I believe she is telling the truth.
The first gives reasons for delayed reporting, etc, which is all true, but has no information on how to tell a false report from a true one.
The second study (at least reading the abstract), I'm not sure what it's studying. Do you have a full copy available to the public? This, in particular, is unclear:The two categories of false allegation both contained more rape myths than the true allegations but no differences were found between the generated and withdrawn false allegations.
The third one discusses motives of false rape allegations, which is interesting in of itself, but their selection method does not help us to suss out a false report from a true one.False allegations of rape were defined as deliberate fabrications of rape while the complainant was not raped. A case was added to the sample of false allegations if the complainant retracted the allegation and said that the allegation was, in fact, false and no rape whatsoever had occurred. Also, the alternative scenario had to be supported by corroborative and conclusive evidence. Thus, a retraction was the first and necessary step, the second step was a thorough investigation to proof that the allegation was false, and the third step was evidence of what truly happened which corroborated the retraction or confession of the complainant. For instance, a complainant said that she was raped in an alley.
Also, how do you square using psychology to determine what's true or false, given what we've learned about memory in recent years? A person can be very convincing, very positive, and wrong, because memory just doesn't work the way that anyone assumes.
I believe Ford was telling the truth as she remembered it too. That's my gut reaction. But I also know how memory works, and a LOT of time has passed. It's easy for the details to fade and even be replaced by details that aren't original information - like location, time, and who was involved.

by Galloism » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:09 pm
Suhkkot wrote:Galloism wrote:The first gives reasons for delayed reporting, etc, which is all true, but has no information on how to tell a false report from a true one.
The second study (at least reading the abstract), I'm not sure what it's studying. Do you have a full copy available to the public? This, in particular, is unclear:
The third one discusses motives of false rape allegations, which is interesting in of itself, but their selection method does not help us to suss out a false report from a true one.
Also, how do you square using psychology to determine what's true or false, given what we've learned about memory in recent years? A person can be very convincing, very positive, and wrong, because memory just doesn't work the way that anyone assumes.
I believe Ford was telling the truth as she remembered it too. That's my gut reaction. But I also know how memory works, and a LOT of time has passed. It's easy for the details to fade and even be replaced by details that aren't original information - like location, time, and who was involved.
Well, I do not have a degree, but consider that Ford either made complete affirmations of events or admitted that she did not recall an event. If I recall, false rape accusations are full of "I think"s.
Let me get back to you on the second study.
If I recall, false rape accusations are full of "I think"s

by Hirota » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:13 am
by Tahar Joblis » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:40 am
Chestaan wrote:One of the issues I have with the believe her thing is that statistics with regard to "false rape claims" are often trotted out. I've seen numbers like only 1% or 2% of all rape claims are false.
But how do we know? Then I saw that the number came from the fact that that was the percentage of claims that were either withdrawn or proven to be untrue, which is obviously not the entire number. Many rape claims don't even make it to the authorities, and so, false or not, are not counted. It is also likely that some cases which were not withdrawn or proven to be untrue were false claims but were not proven to be so.
Basically, its the equivalent of someone saying that only x% of rape claims are true, because those were the ones that were proven to be true. Its equally as wrong and equally as baffling as how otherwise intelligent people run with this statistic.

by Suhkkot » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:44 am
Hirota wrote:oh good, we are at the point where someone tries to use their dubious credentials in the field of glorified snake oil to try and justify "belief" that person x is somehow more legitimate than person y and baselessly assert that everyone who doesn't agree with their belief somehow supposedly hates women.
What a stupid position to take.
by Tahar Joblis » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:01 am
Hirota wrote:oh good, we are at the point where someone tries to use their dubious credentials in the field of glorified snake oil to try and justify "belief" that person x is somehow more legitimate than person y and baselessly assert that everyone who doesn't agree with their belief somehow supposedly hates women.
What a stupid position to take.

by Hirota » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:13 am
How hypocritical of you to accuse someone else of vitriol when your argument is that if you have concerns about false rape claims that you hate women. An idiotic position like that is entirely deserving of scorn.Suhkkot wrote:Hirota wrote:oh good, we are at the point where someone tries to use their dubious credentials in the field of glorified snake oil to try and justify "belief" that person x is somehow more legitimate than person y and baselessly assert that everyone who doesn't agree with their belief somehow supposedly hates women.
What a stupid position to take.
And what a vitriolic attitude.
Maybe it's my own bias, but I have little time for any of these soft sciences which usually utterly fail the scientific method.Tahar Joblis wrote:Abnormal psych isn't a field of glorified snake oil.

by Galloism » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:33 pm
Acceptability of female to male violence
Female to male violence was not only viewed light-heartedly, it was also seen as (virtually)
acceptable. On reflection, both genders agreed that this constituted a double standard, and
that it was not acceptable — really. But there was no censure, and a good deal of hilarity
generated by discussion of the topic in the female groups. In the male groups, acceptability
was implied through their beliefs that there was no need to retaliate to female violence in any
way. This acceptability appears to be associated with:
❙ the fact that female to male violence is not seen to cause any harm (although some felt that
continuous hitting/kicking etc might eventually affect self esteem)
‘Guys deserve it’. Both sexes supported this point of view, which was based on the idea that
‘guys stuff up’, ‘guys can be majorly stupid’, ‘guys don’t listen so you have to get their
attention’. Males appeared to agree with the perceived wisdom of society (and certainly of
females) that they are ‘not as good at relationships’ as the females. Indeed, the fact they
are ‘not listening’ reinforces some typical male attributes/stereotypes, and in this context
males were quite comfortable with the charge
Cluster 1: Supportive of female Attitudes to male to female violence average; to male violence stronger support for female to male violence. N=2069 41% of sample
Cluster 2: Negative to violence by both sexes; Attitudes to male to female violence, female to male violence negative (ie low support for any violence). N=1682 34% of sample
Cluster 3: More supportive of violence by both sexes. Attitudes to male to violence violence and female to male violence positive (Ie, relatively high support for violence.) N=1117 22% of sample

by Forsher » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:56 am
Fahran wrote:Conserative Morality wrote:But anything to decry them mean ol' liberals, even if it's blatantly contradictory to what they're actually saying or standing for.
An investigation was had. Unless some witnesses have been living under rocks for the past month, we're not likely to do much better than we did. Besides that the "believe all women" narrative is really problematic in how it portrays sexual assault and the process of justice.
Galloism wrote:Conserative Morality wrote:Yes, where the FBI didn't have the authority to interview Kavanaugh, Ford, or 7 of the 16 witnesses. Truly a fair and proper exercise of justice!
Honestly, this whole thing should have ended when Kavanaugh perjured himself in front of Congress. Full stop, right there, perjuring yourself to Congress means you shouldn't be a supreme court judge. Also, you should be charged with perjury.
But we couldn't stop there. Oh no. We had to go on. Then Ford went and perjured herself in front of Congress. Whereupon Kavanaugh went and perjured himself again in front of Congress.
Why there aren't charges flying around is pure politics.
Fahran wrote:Conserative Morality wrote:Yes, where the FBI didn't have the authority to interview Kavanaugh, Ford, or 7 of the 16 witnesses. Truly a fair and proper exercise of justice!
What would the FBI have gained in interviewing those people? Do you believe that eye witness testimonies, often on subjects unrelated to the original accusation, would have adequately corroborated accusations of wrong-doing?
Chestaan wrote:But how do we know? Then I saw that the number came from the fact that that was the percentage of claims that were either withdrawn or proven to be untrue, which is obviously not the entire number. Many rape claims don't even make it to the authorities, and so, false or not, are not counted. It is also likely that some cases which were not withdrawn or proven to be untrue were false claims but were not proven to be so.
Galloism wrote:Fahran wrote:The numbers are actually a bit higher than that and, anyhow, it's fallacious to apply general statistics to a specific case in the manner that some have attempted. Ninety percent of people might be heterosexual but that does not mean that in talking to a particular person you have not stumbled onto someone who is gay or bisexual. It's the same with an accused person. So, essentially, even if we grant the basic presumptions behind the argument, it's still a bad argument.
I mean, in any crime, if I was sitting on a jury, and I felt there was a 2% chance the person didn't do the crime, you know what I would call that?

by Fahran » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:16 am
Forsher wrote:As a veteran of the Kenneth Starr affair, I am sure Kavanaugh will be one of the first people to tell you that investigations with time limits on them aren't really investigations.
(Actually I think he probably wouldn't but you get the idea.)
Forsher wrote:A priori assertions of the meaning of interviews are obviously incapable of being evidence. Try again.
by Tahar Joblis » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:06 am
Hirota wrote:How hypocritical of you to accuse someone else of vitriol when your argument is that if you have concerns about false rape claims that you hate women. An idiotic position like that is entirely deserving of scorn.Suhkkot wrote:And what a vitriolic attitude.Maybe it's my own bias, but I have little time for any of these soft sciences which usually utterly fail the scientific method.Tahar Joblis wrote:Abnormal psych isn't a field of glorified snake oil.

by Des-Bal » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:20 pm
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos
Advertisement
Users browsing this forum: Andromeris, Atarashi Hanabi, Cawn, DutchFormosa, Grand Baslandia, Kasdados, Pale Dawn, Pethia Eirenes, S0LA FIDE, Slembana, The Huskar Social Union, Ushastan
Advertisement