NATION

PASSWORD

ISSUE IDEA: Save Jeeboosh

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Radical Islamic Buddhism
Secretary

Founded: Aug 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Radical Islamic Buddhism » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:07 pm

USS Monitor wrote:It's long...

It takes 5 seconds longer to read it than the average issue description.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:24 pm

Radical Islamic Buddhism wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:It's long...

Not the description, the descriotion's fine. The entire issue. As a general rule of thumb, the more an options an issue has, the shorter each option should be. I'll see if I can cut it down a bit, then TG you
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:27 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Radical Islamic Buddhism wrote:

Not the description, the descriotion's fine. The entire issue. As a general rule of thumb, the more an options an issue has, the shorter each option should be. I'll see if I can cut it down a bit, then TG you

I actually meant the description.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:32 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Not the description, the descriotion's fine. The entire issue. As a general rule of thumb, the more an options an issue has, the shorter each option should be. I'll see if I can cut it down a bit, then TG you

I actually meant the description.

Oh
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Radical Islamic Buddhism
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Radical Islamic Buddhism » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:14 pm

The options are actually fine. Remember, the way you see the paragraphs, it's with an additional line for the effect, so it may look more intimidating. Lmao idk.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:46 pm

Naeh, the description's long, but it's not too long. #1063's is actually longer, and #1037's is actually way longer.
Sometimes issue descriptions, especially as complicated as this one, just end up lengthy.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:32 am

Radical Islamic Buddhism wrote:[desc]An ancient city-state called Jeevoosh had been rumored to exist within the territory of @@NAME@@, but the evidence for Jeevoosh is sketchy at best. Recently, archaeologists discovered stone tablets in the border town of Red Hill. Written in a language that seems to be the ancestor of Lilliputian, the tablets are an epic poem with a plot similar to the famous Lilliputian epic, “The King of Books.” The government of Lilliput has proclaimed Jeevoosh to be Lilliput's ancient heritage and wants to reclaim their newly discovered homeland.

Okay, so this is where it's at then.

Criticising this from scratch my two main comments are:

1) Too many bits of new information introduced. We've got Jeevosh, Red Hill, Lilloputian. That's two made-up things too many for an issue description.
2) There's all this stuff that has happened, but there's no credible issue. The last sentence isn't a dilemma, it's a nation's response to the situation, and belongs in an option. Move it to an option, and it becomes clear - the situation is not demanding any response.

Let's reframe what you've written here. Take out the flourishes and you've got.

Shebooby was a place. A Shebooby Macguffin has been found in a town. Swooplepeeps say that Shebooby is Swooplepeepian. Swooplepeeps want the town.

It makes no sense, it's got no narrative coherence to it, and the dilemma feels forced.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Radical Islamic Buddhism
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Radical Islamic Buddhism » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:25 pm

I will let Australia deal with this one, sorry, I'm sorta busy nowadays so I'll check back in a while.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:18 pm

title]Can't Swallow that Tablet

[desc] The border town of Red Hill was rumoured to be an ancient city-state conquered and renamed by @@NAME@@ several centuries prior. However, there was no proof of this until last week's archiological discovery unearthed a major tablet

[validity]Co-Authored by Radical Islamic Buddhism, must allow private property

[option] “This land is mine, God gave this land to me,” crows @@RANDOMNAME@@, the ambassador from Lilliput, a country which borders Red Hill. He stops singing and proudly shouts, “W knew that you stole our city of Jeevoosh and renamed it! Now we have proof! Many words of the Modern Lilliputian derived from words on that tablet! What other proof do you need? Free Jeevoosh, @@LEADER@@, free Jeevoosh!”
[effect] Aggressive foreign countries have annexed 90% of @@NAME@@’s territory by claiming their ancestors lived there 3000 years ago.

[option] "These claims are totally baseless!" sneers @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Patriotism.” Red Hill is formally recognized as a part of our country, and Lilliput is violating our territorial integrity. Everyone knows the Lilliputians are from the mountains on the opposite end of @@REGION@@! Why are we even taking them seriously, @@LEADER@@?”
[effect] burning land deeds and claiming nobody ever owned the land has replaced eminent domain in @@NAME@@.

[option] Cheep Haggles, a so-called ‘compromise enthusiast,’ stumbles into your room, looking extremely exhausted. “Uhhh, ya know what…oh, I’m so tired…why don’t we just rename it Jeevoosh and make the town autonomous?” Cheep yawns loudly and continues, “That way, both countries are happy and the citizens get freedom to acknowledge the great history behind that part of @@NAME@@...” Cheep falls asleep on the floor.
[effect] liberty-lovers across @@NAME@@ have opened up an industry for creating fake ancient monuments.

[option] “Let’s just chill,” says @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Creative Solutions, while drawing lines all over your office. “According to the tablet, the flag of Jeevoosh was fully purple to show off the city's wealth. Incidentally, half the houses in Red Hill are purple! Let’s give the purple houses to Lilliput to show our respect for their heritage, and let’s keep the non-purple houses. What could possibly go wrong?!”
[effect] children are stopped at border checkpoints 200 times on their way to school.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:18 pm

title]Can't Swallow that Tablet

[desc] The border town of Red Hill was rumoured to be an ancient city-state conquered and renamed by @@NAME@@ several centuries prior. However, there was no proof of this until last week's archiological discovery unearthed a major tablet

[validity]Co-Authored by Radical Islamic Buddhism, must allow private property

[option] “This land is mine, God gave this land to me,” crows @@RANDOMNAME@@, the ambassador from Lilliput, a country which borders Red Hill. He stops singing and proudly shouts, “W knew that you stole our city of Jeevoosh and renamed it! Now we have proof! Many words of the Modern Lilliputian derived from words on that tablet! What other proof do you need? Free Jeevoosh, @@LEADER@@, free Jeevoosh!”
[effect] Aggressive foreign countries have annexed 90% of @@NAME@@’s territory by claiming their ancestors lived there 3000 years ago.

[option] "These claims are totally baseless!" sneers @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Patriotism.” Red Hill is formally recognized as a part of our country, and Lilliput is violating our territorial integrity. Everyone knows the Lilliputians are from the mountains on the opposite end of @@REGION@@! Why are we even taking them seriously, @@LEADER@@?”
[effect] burning land deeds and claiming nobody ever owned the land has replaced eminent domain in @@NAME@@.

[option] Cheep Haggles, a so-called ‘compromise enthusiast,’ stumbles into your room, looking extremely exhausted. “Uhhh, ya know what…oh, I’m so tired…why don’t we just rename it Jeevoosh and make the town autonomous?” Cheep yawns loudly and continues, “That way, both countries are happy and the citizens get freedom to acknowledge the great history behind that part of @@NAME@@...” Cheep falls asleep on the floor.
[effect] liberty-lovers across @@NAME@@ have opened up an industry for creating fake ancient monuments.

[option] “Let’s just chill,” says @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister of Creative Solutions, while drawing lines all over your office. “According to the tablet, the flag of Jeevoosh was fully purple to show off the city's wealth. Incidentally, half the houses in Red Hill are purple! Let’s give the purple houses to Lilliput to show our respect for their heritage, and let’s keep the non-purple houses. What could possibly go wrong?!”
[effect] children are stopped at border checkpoints 200 times on their way to school.

Krogon
Envoy

Founded: May 25, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:39 pm

Definitely in better shape now. Not much more to say than that.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:10 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:[desc] The border town of Red Hill was rumoured to be an ancient city-state conquered and renamed by @@NAME@@ several centuries prior. However, there was no proof of this until last week's archiological discovery unearthed a major tablet

And?

This still suffers from the problem that it's unclear what the dilemma is after reading the desc.

Aussie, I know you busted your butt on this and you found a new writing buddy and all of that is cool, but I am not sure if you can make this work.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:13 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Should we ditch this?

Yes.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:29 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:[desc] The border town of Red Hill was rumoured to be an ancient city-state conquered and renamed by @@NAME@@ several centuries prior. However, there was no proof of this until last week's archiological discovery unearthed a major tablet

And?

This still suffers from the problem that it's unclear what the dilemma is after reading the desc.

Aussie, I know you busted your butt on this and you found a new writing buddy and all of that is cool, but I am not sure if you can make this work.

I have to agree. There's no dilemma here.

The original description introduced too many new places without any way to connect the reader to them, and had no real dilemma. You still have no dilemma.

Not every idea is destined to be an issue.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:38 am

I'll see what RIB thinks

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?