NATION

PASSWORD

Are Bert and Ernie Gay?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
The Grims
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1843
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grims » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:27 am

The blAAtschApen wrote:O course they are gay. They spend a lot of time with a man's arm up in their butt.

They also like to stick bananas in various orifices.

User avatar
Knask
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1281
Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Knask » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:35 am

Thermodolia wrote:No they aren’t gay. It’s just a meme. They represent the friendship between Frank Oz and Jim Henson

You do know they had sex, right? Have you read his autobiography?

User avatar
Lux Bellorum
Secretary
 
Posts: 29
Founded: Sep 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lux Bellorum » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:05 am

Hey, even if you believe the nonprofit, that just means they're asexual instead of gay. Either way, the LGBT flag gets hoisted high.
Last edited by Lux Bellorum on Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Chestaan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6975
Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:49 am

The problem with saying that they are gay is that it comes from a place that assumes two men can't be great close friends without being gay. Now if Sesame Street were to bring in an openly gay couple that would be great, but assuming Bert and Ernie are gay comes from a dangerous place, one that assumes that males are, and must be, cold and distant to each other unless they have a sexual relationship.
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

User avatar
The New California Republic
Post Czar
 
Posts: 35507
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:58 am

Mark Saltzman said his writing about the room-mating couple was based on his relationship with film editor Arnold Glassman.

"I always felt that, without a huge agenda, when I was writing Bert and Ernie, they were [a couple]," he said.

Mr Saltzman joined the show in 1984, 15 years after the pair debuted on the show.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45566451
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
The Grims
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1843
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grims » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Chestaan wrote:The problem with saying that they are gay is that it comes from a place that assumes two men can't be great close friends without being gay. Now if Sesame Street were to bring in an openly gay couple that would be great, but assuming Bert and Ernie are gay comes from a dangerous place, one that assumes that males are, and must be, cold and distant to each other unless they have a sexual relationship.


Actually, it comes from the writer claiming he wrote the characters based on himself and his partner.

He is ADHD Ernie. His OCD partner is Bert. And they are both gay.

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63189
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:07 am

Eh, i honestly dont care that much if they are or not, doesnt bother me, they are just puppets in a kid show.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast ■■■ / Leftwing / Atheist / Re-arm Europe
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020



I like Miniature painting, Tanks, Horse Girl racing (apparently), Video games and most importantly Cheese.


User avatar
The Two Jerseys
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24053
Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Two Jerseys » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:27 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Mark Saltzman said his writing about the room-mating couple was based on his relationship with film editor Arnold Glassman.

"I always felt that, without a huge agenda, when I was writing Bert and Ernie, they were [a couple]," he said.

Mr Saltzman joined the show in 1984, 15 years after the pair debuted on the show.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45566451

Yeah, that would be like Raymond Benson coming along 50 years after Ian Fleming created James Bond and saying "I am the Author, and I say James Bond is bisexual!"...
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

User avatar
Page
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18960
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Page » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:57 am

They're fucking puppets on a simplistic children's show, they don't have to have a romantic relationship at all. Asking if Bert and Ernie are gay is like asking Dora the Explorer's immigration status or how much is Mr. Krabs' net income after taxes, it's a waste of time to try to make an official canon around characters that aren't meant to be all that deep or interesting.

That said, Sesame Street Workshop made themselves look bad by making a point to outright deny it, they really should have just ignored it. Because now they've gone out of their way to insist that no, they aren't gay, which makes it look like they are cowering before the Christian fundie lobby. Even if that's not the case, it's how it comes off.
Antifa Astartes | Ave Luigi | Trans Rights or I Bites | Abolish ICE | Certified 100% Hasbara-proof

In a world ruled by Epsteins and Eichmanns, anarchism is a moral imperative.

User avatar
Thermodolia
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 79496
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:59 am

Knask wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:No they aren’t gay. It’s just a meme. They represent the friendship between Frank Oz and Jim Henson

You do know they had sex, right? Have you read his autobiography?

Who? Frank and Jim? Ya they had sex with women.

The Grims wrote:
Chestaan wrote:The problem with saying that they are gay is that it comes from a place that assumes two men can't be great close friends without being gay. Now if Sesame Street were to bring in an openly gay couple that would be great, but assuming Bert and Ernie are gay comes from a dangerous place, one that assumes that males are, and must be, cold and distant to each other unless they have a sexual relationship.


Actually, it comes from the writer claiming he wrote the characters based on himself and his partner.

He is ADHD Ernie. His OCD partner is Bert. And they are both gay.

And the creators of Bert and Ernie said that they aren’t gay. You don’t get to claim something isn’t what it is after the fact
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

User avatar
Crockerland
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5456
Founded: Oct 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:02 am

Sure, one or both of them might be gay, they are not in a relationship if that's what you're asking, as the creators have specified.
Free Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Tibet.
Gay not Queer / Why Abortion is Genocide / End Gay Erasure
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
National Liberalism, Nuclear & Geothermal Power, GMOs, Vaccines, Biodiesel, LGBTIA equality, Universal Healthcare, Universal Basic Income, Constitutional Carry, Emotional Support Twinks, Right to Life


User avatar
Internationalist Bastard
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24520
Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Internationalist Bastard » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:04 am

Look man all I’m saying is two bachelors living in the city who live together, go out together, bath together, and sleep together sounds like they’re not just roommates
Call me Alex, I insist
I am a girl, damnit
Slut Pride. So like, real talk, I’m a porn actress. We’re not all bimbos. I do not give out my information or videos to avoid conflict with site policy. I’m happy to talk about the industry or my thoughts on the career but I will not be showing you any goodies. Sorry
“Whatever you are, be a good one” Abe Lincoln

User avatar
Uxupox
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13447
Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:05 am

who cares.
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

User avatar
Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar
 
Posts: 47853
Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:09 am

Internationalist Bastard wrote:Look man all I’m saying is two bachelors living in the city who live together, go out together, bath together, and sleep together sounds like they’re not just roommates


They're a pair of deep-cover nazbol spies waiting to be activated, and the staying together at all times is part of the structure of the cell to avoid succumbing to individualism.
Furthermore, I consider that feminism must be destroyed.

User avatar
The New California Republic
Post Czar
 
Posts: 35507
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:15 am

Dumb Ideologies wrote:
Internationalist Bastard wrote:Look man all I’m saying is two bachelors living in the city who live together, go out together, bath together, and sleep together sounds like they’re not just roommates


They're a pair of deep-cover nazbol spies waiting to be activated, and the staying together at all times is part of the structure of the cell to avoid succumbing to individualism.

They might even be Mormon missionaries, as they need to stay with each other at all times as well.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Hammer Britannia
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5496
Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Hammer Britannia » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:23 am

Bert and Ernie don't dress well enough
All shall tremble before me

User avatar
Big Jim P
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 55306
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:26 am

Irrelevant. They are sexless puppets.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

User avatar
Sicaris
Diplomat
 
Posts: 841
Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sicaris » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:30 am

They’re puppets ffs
This country doesn’t represent my political views.
Three Principles of the People is a good book.
8values
Political Compass
PolitiScales
I’m an American nationalist, ultra-capitalist, Kemalist, and First and Second Amendment extremist. Alexander Hamilton and Ronald Reagan are my gods and I will incessantly worship them.

No, basement dwellers of the world, communism does not work.

“If you are born poor, it’s not your mistake; but if you die poor, it’s your mistake.”

User avatar
The New California Republic
Post Czar
 
Posts: 35507
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:30 am

Big Jim P wrote:Irrelevant. They are sexless puppets.

Sexless? Sounds like marriage to me. The separate beds seems to fit as well...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar
 
Posts: 47853
Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:32 am

Sicaris wrote:They’re puppets ffs


aren't we all
Furthermore, I consider that feminism must be destroyed.

User avatar
Xmara
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5663
Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:37 am

I thought they were brothers when I was little.

Anyway, I’m going with what the characters’ creators say on this one. They’re just two best friends who are also roommates.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver


Sorry I haven't been active lately. I've been very busy IRL.




User avatar
Auze
Minister
 
Posts: 2076
Founded: Oct 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Auze » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:56 am

Ifreann wrote:
Sovaal wrote:

Yes. It matters for the same reason it matters that they have a character in a wheelchair, or a character with autism, or a character with a parent in prison, or a character with a family member who went to war, or a character with a family member who died. All those things happen in the lives of children who watch Sesame Street. So does homosexuality. But that's apparently so awful that the possibility of two characters being gay needs to be disavowed.

I don't think there are any examples of puppets being heterosexual. Anyway, as one of the creators said, "their puppets, they have no sexuality, they don't exist below the waist".
Hello, I'm a Latter-day Saint dude!
In case you're wondering, it's pronounced ['ɑ.ziː].
My political views are best described as "incoherent"

RIP LWDT & RWDT.
I disown most of my previous posts (with a few exceptions)

User avatar
The New California Republic
Post Czar
 
Posts: 35507
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:58 am

Auze wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Yes. It matters for the same reason it matters that they have a character in a wheelchair, or a character with autism, or a character with a parent in prison, or a character with a family member who went to war, or a character with a family member who died. All those things happen in the lives of children who watch Sesame Street. So does homosexuality. But that's apparently so awful that the possibility of two characters being gay needs to be disavowed.

I don't think there are any examples of puppets being heterosexual. Anyway, as one of the creators said, "their puppets, they have no sexuality, they don't exist below the waist".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avenue_Q
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Mardla
Minister
 
Posts: 2465
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Mardla » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:36 am

Staffer and Waldorf seemed a bit queer too, now that you mention it.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative ≠
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

User avatar
Hammer Britannia
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5496
Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Hammer Britannia » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:37 am

Mardla wrote:Staffer and Waldorf seemed a bit queer too, now that you mention it.

You mean Statler and Waldorf?
All shall tremble before me

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aaeris, Andoros, Ariddia, Cole Whyte-Gurney, Democratic Kingdom of South India, Eieryn, Elejamie, Franco-Danubian Imperium, Luziyca, Maraganta, Neder Islands, New Kisha, Ostroeuropa, Shrillland

Advertisement

Remove ads