NATION

PASSWORD

Judge Kavanaugh's confirmation Hearing Now with Poll

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you support the confirmation of Justice Kavanaugh

Yes I support his confirmation allegations against him are likely false or insufficient evidence
45%
Yes I support his confirmation even though the allegations against him are likely true but they are just too old
0%
Yes I support his confirmation because of judicial philosophy regardless of the allegations being true or false
5%
No I am against his confirmation because the allegations are likely true
10%
No I am against his confirmation because of his judicial philosophy (pick this if both please)
39%

Total votes : 238

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:12 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Communist Xomaniax wrote:The Republicans launched ten individual investigations, one after the other, into Benghazi and attempted fifty-four times to repeal Obamacare. It's the new normal now.

Well if we follow the Garland example; Kav should be held up for up to 400 days while the truth is sorted out.

You're welcome to write ol' McConnell and suggest it.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Communist Xomaniax
Minister

Founded: May 02, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Communist Xomaniax » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:15 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Communist Xomaniax wrote:The Republicans launched ten individual investigations, one after the other, into Benghazi and attempted fifty-four times to repeal Obamacare. It's the new normal now.

Well if we follow the Garland example; Kav should be held up for up to 400 days while the truth is sorted out.

Are you suggesting holding Republicans to the standards they created? Unprecedented. Are you sure you're a Democrat?
Last edited by Communist Xomaniax on Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
MT: Democratic People's Republic of Phansi Uhlanga
FT: Ozun Freeholds Confederation

tren hard, eat clen, anavar give up
The strongest bond of human sympathy outside the family relation should be one uniting working people of all nations and tongues and kindreds.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:16 am

Telconi wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

You're welcome to write ol' McConnell and suggest it.

:D As if it there would even be a chance.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Jerzyland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jerzyland » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:50 am

Telconi wrote:
Jerzyland wrote:
Let's go with a bit more recent example. Al Franken, did he also received any benefit of the doubt? He was a comedian joking around. Kavan ugh should withdraw his nomination.

A nominee for justice on the SCOTUS must be beyond reproach. This man clearly is not.

This is absurd, nobody is beyone reproach.

What is absurd is the hypocrisy across the aisle.

*cough*
Al Franken
*cough*

A person in high office in the US should not be able to be compromised bc of some stupid shit in his past. It's disqualifying. But I know Republicans have a blind spot in this area. *place image of Trump here*
Dat ol' man Jerzy...

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:56 am

Jerzyland wrote:
Telconi wrote:
This is absurd, nobody is beyone reproach.

*cough*
Al Franken
*cough*

A person in high office in the US should not be able to be compromised bc of some stupid shit in his past. It's disqualifying. But I know Republicans have a blind spot in this area. *place image of Trump here*

I must have missed the part where the opposite party kicked Franken out.

As for that blind spot, such working implies there's something worth noticing that they are ignoring.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:58 am

Why are all of these accusations coming out right after Kavanaugh passed his Senate Hearing test, and didn't even become a meme? The latter was reserved for Cory "I am Spartacus" Booker. Yes, I'm aware that he didn't claim to be Spartacus, but he did claim that it was almost his "Spartacus Moment" and so now we go to the accusations.

Don't get me wrong, the Democrats are right to call out Republicans for being hypocritical, and giving Merrick Garland one type of treatment, and Brett Kavanaugh another type of treatment. And yet, the Democrats are also being hypocritical, for the exact same reason. It's back to your "my side yay, your side boo!" interpretation. This is a critical moment for the Democrats. If the Republicans can confirm Kavanaugh before November, that will solidify the Republican hold of the Senate, since they are currently slated to get 54 seats, and Kavanaugh being nominated will hurt the Democrats in the midterms. Why is this important?

Ruth Bader Ginsburg is 85, and with Trump as president, and the Republican Senate for the next two years, ufff. Additionally, even if Ginsburg lives, the Supreme Court Nomination card can once against be played by the Republicans in 2020 Presidential Election. And in 2020 the Republicans will reclaim Alabama, meaning that the Democrats will now have to win five Senate seats as well as holding Michigan, Minnesota, and New Hampshire. And if that fails to happen, and Trump wins reelection, you'd be looking at a 6-3 Republican Supreme Court.

So while I can emphasize with the Democrats not wanting that to happen, let's not pretend that this is about Brett Kavanaugh's Sexcapades, anymore than Merrick Garland's nomination was denied because he was somehow unfit for the Court. So, Obama, how's not endorsing Bernie Sanders working out for your legacy?
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:02 am

And surprise surprise, the alt-right has reacted to this situation in apparently the only way it knows how.

Mike Cernovich Doxes Kavanaugh Sexual Assault Victim, Twitter Does Nothing
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:03 am

Vassenor wrote:And surprise surprise, the alt-right has reacted to this situation in apparently the only way it knows how.

Cernovich, dictionary definition of douchecanoe.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:15 am

Shofercia wrote:Why are all of these accusations coming out right after Kavanaugh passed his Senate Hearing test, and didn't even become a meme? The latter was reserved for Cory "I am Spartacus" Booker. Yes, I'm aware that he didn't claim to be Spartacus, but he did claim that it was almost his "Spartacus Moment" and so now we go to the accusations.

Don't get me wrong, the Democrats are right to call out Republicans for being hypocritical, and giving Merrick Garland one type of treatment, and Brett Kavanaugh another type of treatment. And yet, the Democrats are also being hypocritical, for the exact same reason. It's back to your "my side yay, your side boo!" interpretation. This is a critical moment for the Democrats. If the Republicans can confirm Kavanaugh before November, that will solidify the Republican hold of the Senate, since they are currently slated to get 54 seats, and Kavanaugh being nominated will hurt the Democrats in the midterms. Why is this important?

Ruth Bader Ginsburg is 85, and with Trump as president, and the Republican Senate for the next two years, ufff. Additionally, even if Ginsburg lives, the Supreme Court Nomination card can once against be played by the Republicans in 2020 Presidential Election. And in 2020 the Republicans will reclaim Alabama, meaning that the Democrats will now have to win five Senate seats as well as holding Michigan, Minnesota, and New Hampshire. And if that fails to happen, and Trump wins reelection, you'd be looking at a 6-3 Republican Supreme Court.

This prediction requires so many assumptions, some of which aren't supported by a lot of hard evidence, that I don't even really think it's worth considering and you should stop that right now.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 10, 2016

Postby Jerzylvania » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:28 am

Vassenor wrote:And surprise surprise, the alt-right has reacted to this situation in apparently the only way it knows how.

So this would be fair in his view of fair use of the internet...

Mikhail Cernovich, eh?
WHAT! Another Russian fucking with our politics? ICE, please deport him or at least detain him indefinitely. This man is a threat to our national security! He's an enemy of the state.
Donald Trump has no clue as to what "insuring the domestic tranquility" means

The Baltimore Orioles are shocking the baseball world!

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:36 am

Oh boy, the letter was released, and form a judicial standpoint it'd be a nightmare to prosecute if it even can given the statue of limitations, as the therapy in question took place 3 decades after the alleged incident and was according to it the first talk of it.

Yeah I can see why Feinstein held onto this. It is certainly not a flattering letter for Kav, but chances are with time it would not even reach a hearing much less a trial.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:40 am

So, I'm hearing Flake wants the woman to speak before they move Kavanaugh's nomination forward. Given he's on the Judicial Committee (and whether he acts on his words), it throws a wrench into Trump's plans. Flake's Revenge?
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:46 am

Zurkerx wrote:So, I'm hearing Flake wants the woman to speak before they move Kavanaugh's nomination forward. Given he's on the Judicial Committee (and whether he acts on his words), it throws a wrench into Trump's plans. Flake's Revenge?

Nope. Probably won't pass the smell test and in the best case stink up the election. The way Feinstein handled it makes it look like a smear and the FBI have already said with present evidence they are not going to launch an investigation.

It would be different that if Miss Ford was scheduled for a hearing now, but since this has been effectively sat upon since July chances are that won't happen.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:56 am

Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:10 pm

Vassenor wrote:Also, you know that list of sixty-five women who all came forward to support him?

Yeah, it turns out most of them didn't know what they were signing, and now only two of them still stand by him.

Where's the source that they didn't know what they were signing?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:19 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Shofercia wrote:Why are all of these accusations coming out right after Kavanaugh passed his Senate Hearing test, and didn't even become a meme? The latter was reserved for Cory "I am Spartacus" Booker. Yes, I'm aware that he didn't claim to be Spartacus, but he did claim that it was almost his "Spartacus Moment" and so now we go to the accusations.

This prediction requires so many assumptions, some of which aren't supported by a lot of hard evidence, that I don't even really think it's worth considering and you should stop that right now.

Care to list the assumptions? First paragraph - Booker's questioning is widely mocked and memed, and Kavanaugh seems to have passed that test. Second paragraph - the hypocritical Kavanaugh/Garland treatment by both political parties is a fact. The first assumption I'm making, and it's actually more of a presumption, is that the Republicans will have 54 Senate seats.

9 Republican seats are up for reelection, and 24 Democratic seats. The only seat that Republicans might lose is Nevada's. However, they're leading 51-47. If they can take just four of the eleven Trumpy states, namely Montana, West Virginia, North Dakota, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Florida, Missouri, hey - that's 54.

Ginsburg's 85. That's a fact. The Republicans successfully played the Supreme Court card in 2016, and a repeat in 2020 isn't out of the question. That's a fact. Republicans reclaiming Alabama? An almost certainty. Where are the assumptions? There really are only two assumptions, and one, the 54 senate seats, is based on concrete evidence. The other, namely the 2020 Presidential Election, will also depend on who the Democrats nominate, which is the only X factor in that prediction.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Jerzyland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jerzyland » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:31 pm

Telconi wrote:
Jerzyland wrote:

*cough*
Al Franken
*cough*

As for that blind spot, such working implies there's something worth noticing that they are ignoring.

The opposite party didn't have to kick him out. The Dems did their due diligence when the matter arose. This is something the GOP should have learned a long way back.
Last edited by Jerzyland on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dat ol' man Jerzy...

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:39 pm

Zurkerx wrote:So, I'm hearing Flake wants the woman to speak before they move Kavanaugh's nomination forward. Given he's on the Judicial Committee (and whether he acts on his words), it throws a wrench into Trump's plans. Flake's Revenge?

I highly doubt it. SCOTUS is pro-business, as are most of Flake's campaign donors. If Flake holds up the process for what his donors deem an unreasonable time period, he might not get that consulting job after retirement, something that he probably realized.

San Carlos Islands
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby San Carlos Islands » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:41 pm

Very creative with the route of trying to deny a confirmation... Gonna Clarence Thomas Kavanaugh.
Foreign Affairs Director for the League of Conservative Nations

WA Ambassador: Trinity Ryan
WA Information: wa.mission.gov.sci

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:42 pm

San Carlos Islands wrote:Very creative with the route of trying to deny a confirmation... Gonna Clarence Thomas Kavanaugh.

Because giving a potential rapist with some questionable views on the rights of women the ability to make them law is a good thing?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:43 pm

Jerzyland wrote:
Telconi wrote:

The opposite party didn't have to kick him out. The Dems did their due diligence when the matter arose. This is something the GOP should have learned a long way back.

I don't think they particularly care what you think they should do.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

San Carlos Islands
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby San Carlos Islands » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:45 pm

Vassenor wrote:
San Carlos Islands wrote:Very creative with the route of trying to deny a confirmation... Gonna Clarence Thomas Kavanaugh.

Because giving a potential rapist with some questionable views on the rights of women the ability to make them law is a good thing?

Lol, do you realize how crazy you sound? Look at this guy's family, look at the classmates saying the claim is false. Like I said, this how they tried to take down Clarence Thomas. It's another false claim to take a politician down.
Foreign Affairs Director for the League of Conservative Nations

WA Ambassador: Trinity Ryan
WA Information: wa.mission.gov.sci

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:47 pm

San Carlos Islands wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Lol, do you realize how crazy you sound? Look at this guy's family, look at the classmates saying the claim is false. Like I said, this how they tried to take down Clarence Thomas. It's another false claim to take a politician down.

Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:52 pm

Vassenor wrote:
San Carlos Islands wrote:Lol, do you realize how crazy you sound? Look at this guy's family, look at the classmates saying the claim is false. Like I said, this how they tried to take down Clarence Thomas. It's another false claim to take a politician down.

Your article is no more believable the second time around. Nor are it's implications any more relevant.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

The Archregimancy
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:54 pm

Kash Island wrote:
Tarsonis wrote:
While that’s not untrue, we’re seeing some new lows here.

Ive NEVER heard of a supreme court nomination hearing being like this before, people being arressted etc etc

See the fight over Brandeis' nomination in 1916.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Bra ... reme_Court

More recently, when Nixon inexplicably nominated Harrold Carswell in 1970, the best that Senator Hruska could come up with to support Carswell was, rather hilariously:

Even if he is mediocre, there are a lot of mediocre judges and people and lawyers. They are entitled to a little representation, aren't they, and a little chance? We can't have all Brandeises and Cardozos and Frankfurters and stuff like that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._Harrol ... nomination

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General