NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] The Masked Marauders Strike Again?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Submit?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:53 am

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 2

Krogon
Envoy

Founded: May 25, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

[DRAFT] The Masked Marauders Strike Again?

Postby Krogon » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:33 pm

After a controversial animal rights protest in @@CAPITAL@@ by a group called the Masked Marauders lead to numerous injuries, many citizens of @@NAME@@ have called for the protesters to identify themselves, having protested from behind masks of animals. This has caused quite the uproar, and many have come to offer their opinion.
[Validity]
Protests are allowed

[Option 1]
"Fourteen lovely people got hurt that day," says @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE_1@@, cradling a baby that isn't hers. "Even if they didn't do it themselves, they need to be held responsible! Besides, how do we know if their protests were even real if they're too scared to come out and tell the public who they are? Anyone protesting while wearing a mask must be arrested and forcibly exposed!"
[Fallout]
the only masked thugs at protests are the police

[Option 2]
"Are you joking me, lady?" asks privacy advocate, @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, as @@HE@@ slams down @@HIS@@ fists on your desk. "Think of how much they would be marauded if their colleagues knew they were part of the Marauders! Your identity in a protest should be allowed to be kept secret if you want. It's the only way--!" Suddenly, a female fox masks falls out of @@HIS@@ pocket.
[Fallout]
daily morning traffic is caused by protesters in animal masks

[Option 3]
A figure with a wolf mask steps in your office and laughs. "It's not your business if I caused injuries at all. Just because I was in a protest which resulted in so many people to get hurt doesn't make me a murderer. Not only should you allow us to keep our identity a secret, but you need to let us do whatever we want when we protest. That includes vandalism, assault...whatever you can think of! How are we supposed to get our point across otherwise?" The figure silently snakes away.
[Fallout]
a criminal's favorite place is in a protest

[Issue] Led From Anonymity?
After a controversial protest in @@CAPITAL@@ lead to numerous injuries, many citizens of @@NAME@@ have called for the protesters to identify themselves, having protested from behind masks. This has caused quite the uproar, and many have come to offer their opinion.
[Validity]
Protests are allowed

[Option 1]
"They caused fourteen people to get injuries ranging from a sprained ankle to losing an eye!" says @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE_1@@, a mother in the popular parenting club Mothers United. "Even if they didn't do it themselves, they need to be held responsible! I can't have my kids seeing things like what happened in the news. Demand they come out and tell @@NAME@@ who they are. We can't let them get away with this!"
[Fallout]
Even the innocent are guilty in @@NAME@@

[Option 2]
"Are you joking me, lady?" asks privacy advocate @@RANDOMNAME_2@@ as @@HE@@ slams down @@HIS@@ fists on your desk. "How were they supposed to know that people would get hurt in the protest?! Your identity in a protest should be allowed to be kept secret if you want. It's the only way."
[Fallout]
there has been numerous sightings of protesters wearing paper bags over their heads

[Option 3]
Suddenly, a figure with a Woman Wowlfs mask steps in your office and laughs. "It's not your business if I caused injuries at all. Just because I was in a protest which resulted in so many people to get hurt doesn't make me a murderer. Not only should you allow us to keep our identity a secret, but you need to let us do whatever we want when we protest. That includes vandalism, assault, whatever you can think of!"
[Fallout]
murderers get out of facing a court sentence with the argument: "I was just protesting"
Last edited by Krogon on Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:53 am, edited 15 times in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Wouldn't the identity of the leaders already be known?

It's hard to be a leader that people look up to without anyone knowing who you are.

Of course, often protests grow organically as people attach themselves to the group, rather than everyone following a single leader.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:16 am

Trotterdam wrote:Wouldn't the identity of the leaders already be known?

It's hard to be a leader that people look up to without anyone knowing who you are.

As the RL 'Red' Chinese found out when they experimented with abolishing rank insignia in their armed forces...
:lol2:
(Yes, really.)
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Krogon
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:53 am

Trotterdam wrote:Wouldn't the identity of the leaders already be known?

Of course, often protests grow organically as people attach themselves to the group, rather than everyone following a single leader.

I meant it as the people who were making speeches at the front of the protest and leading chants and such. And if you have ever participated in a protest or a march, I'd like to ask if you know the organizer of that protest personally? :P

but I should probably make that clearer
Last edited by Krogon on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:19 am

Glad to inspire, though not sure what post you mean.

Agree with Trotterdam here - seems a bit of a stretch for people within a protest not to know who organised them to protest.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Krogon
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:44 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Glad to inspire, though not sure what post you mean.

Agree with Trotterdam here - seems a bit of a stretch for people within a protest not to know who organised them to protest.

This post mostly :P

https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=950582

And I agree it does seem a bit of a stretch. I was thinking I would have it as they organized it over social media, (where anonymity is very much possible) but that would mean requiring social media, which is unneeded validity.

Any ideas on how to avoid this problem? The only solution I can think of is the one above.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:51 pm

Krogon wrote:I was thinking I would have it as they organized it over social media, (where anonymity is very much possible)
Then it would at least be common knowledge which social media account organized it, even if people don't know which real-life person is behind that account. In that situation, you would be trying to pressure the social media service to reveal private information to your law enforcement, not pressuring the average protest-goers to rat out their leader (since they don't know any more than you do).

Krogon
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:54 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Krogon wrote:I was thinking I would have it as they organized it over social media, (where anonymity is very much possible)
Then it would at least be common knowledge which social media account organized it, even if people don't know which real-life person is behind that account. In that situation, you would be trying to pressure the social media service to reveal private information to your law enforcement, not pressuring the average protest-goers to rat out their leader (since they don't know any more than you do).

That is true, I might rewrite the issue to look like that, since we don't have an issue that covers that yet.

Thanks for the help!

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:19 am

Ah I see!

This was what I was thinking of when I threw in that idea:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preventin ... mblies_Act
http://dcist.com/2010/11/masked_protest ... counci.php

So not anonymous organisers, but rather protesting in general without wanting to identify yourself.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:23 am

"Who organised this?"
"Spartacus."
"And who is Spartacus?"
"I am Spartacus."
"No, I am Spartacus."
"I am Spartacus."
"No, I am Spartacus."
"I am Spartacus."
"No, I am Spartacus."
"I am Spartacus."
"No, I am Spartacus."
... :eyebrow:
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:32 am

Did someone call?

Krogon
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:57 pm

well i mean...it's kind of okay to stray a bit from the original idea?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:15 pm

Sure, of course, sorry to derail.

My read on the current take is that it looks to be about personal responsibility for protests organised through the internet. That is, indirect culpability.

#543 Flash, Aaaaaargh! asks a similar question, though in the context of pranks rather than protests. I think that difference is enough to allow the issues to coexist, but I'd be wary about overlapping options too much, given the similarities.

Krogon
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:51 pm

Jee, I don't know what it is about Flash, Arrrrrgh always overlapping with my drafts! :/
Perhaps unlike social media, the person leading the chants in the front is hiding their identity with something?

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:59 am

Krogon wrote:Jee, I don't know what it is about Flash, Arrrrrgh always overlapping with my drafts! :/
Perhaps unlike social media, the person leading the chants in the front is hiding their identity with something?

such as a 'Guy Fawkes' (or created-for-NS obvious equivalent) mask?

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:40 am

Bears Armed wrote:"Who organised this?"
"Spartacus."
"And who is Spartacus?"
"I am Spartacus."
"No, I am Spartacus."
"I am Spartacus."
"No, I am Spartacus."
"I am Spartacus."
"No, I am Spartacus."
"I am Spartacus."
"No, I am Spartacus."
... :eyebrow:

Came here looking for this.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Krogon
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:03 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Krogon wrote:Jee, I don't know what it is about Flash, Arrrrrgh always overlapping with my drafts! :/

such as a 'Guy Fawkes' (or created-for-NS obvious equivalent) mask?

implimented that by using Woman Wowlfs

still don't like the title all that much

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:10 pm

I feel it not necessary to specify that this was a "right-wing" protest, given that the options do not specify much relating to the actual reasons or politics behind the protest.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Krogon
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:57 pm

Candensia wrote:I feel it not necessary to specify that this was a "right-wing" protest, given that the options do not specify much relating to the actual reasons or politics behind the protest.

Good point.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:26 pm

Option 1 needs a better effect line.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Krogon
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:39 pm

USS Monitor wrote:Option 1 needs a better effect line.

I agree. Any ideas?
Last edited by Krogon on Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:20 am

Why does the identity of protestors matter?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:35 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Why does the identity of protestors matter?

To hold them responsible for any damage their protests do.

IRL, I've heard of this issue coming up with KKK rallies. There was a town that tried to ban wearing masks, so as to discourage the KKK and make it easier to keep them under control, and the KKK sued saying it violated their 1st amendment rights.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Krogon
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:52 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Why does the identity of protestors matter?

To hold them responsible for any damage their protests do.

IRL, I've heard of this issue coming up with KKK rallies. There was a town that tried to ban wearing masks, so as to discourage the KKK and make it easier to keep them under control, and the KKK sued saying it violated their 1st amendment rights.

exactly. any more feedback?
Last edited by Krogon on Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:05 pm

You still haven't changed to the draft to reflect one of CWA's first comments. Instead of focusing on the leaders of the movement, you should talk about that the people that were protesting had masks on and the police have no idea who to charge for their crimes, and have the options reflect that. /runonsentence.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?