NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:03 am

I know several issues exist in this vein, but I'm starting to wonder if I could do a new angle on the relationship between police and civilians. Can somebody please show me which issues already deal with that topic (or similar)? Thank you!
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:09 am

Seagull wrote:I wondered if there is any existing issue about land reclamation/artifical island? I might try to write issues soon :P
#342's last option. A followup has been drafted.

Chan Island wrote:I know several issues exist in this vein, but I'm starting to wonder if I could do a new angle on the relationship between police and civilians. Can somebody please show me which issues already deal with that topic (or similar)? Thank you!
Just search the spoiler thread for "police" (and maybe "cop"). I'm not going to list every issue in the game that involves police for you.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:40 pm

Is there an issue on cartels & price-fixing?
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:41 pm

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Is there an issue on cartels & price-fixing?
Doesn't sound familiar.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Doesn't sound familiar.

Great, thanks :)

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:51 pm

Are there issues on any of the following:
-A slave revolt (i.e. Slaves rising up against their @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ oppressors)
-A nation declaring war against and invading @@NAME@@
-currency Union (I've tried this before, and will probably need a co-author)
-Social Darwanism
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:52 pm

Maybe do them as seperate issues?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:56 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:-A slave revolt (i.e. Slaves rising up against their @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ oppressors)
#898 Two’s Company, Three’s a Crowd, Four’s an Uprising
It's not quite a full-scale uprising (more lots of small incidents that are starting to make slavers antsy), but the basic idea is there.

Australian rePublic wrote:-A nation declaring war against and invading @@NAME@@
#244 Foreign Invasion Force Takes on Small Farming Community
A larger-scale invasion isn't viable because nothing is allowed to remove the player's control of the nation.

Australian rePublic wrote:-Social Darwanism
Like I said on this last time:
Trotterdam wrote:
Shwe Tu Colony wrote:Hmm, do we have an issue for social darwinism & its corresponding policy yet?
Social Darwinism is a broad ideology, not one particular policy. We have various options that encourage actions that would be in line with it (usually small-government options that cut funding for helping people who can't help themselves, but occasionally taking a more active hand in suppressing undesirables), but no single option that says "let's embrace Social Darwinism in all things!" - nor do I think we need one.
And for that matter:
Trotterdam wrote:It's shameful how little Social "Darwinists" and other eugenicists actually understand about Darwinian evolution.

Of course, they're hardly the only ones having trouble on that front.

It seems both the people for and against Darwinism are completely bonkers and debating strawmen. (Or maybe strawwomen, I don't want to discriminate here.)

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:19 am

Is there an issue about banning employers from sending work-related text messages or emails to their employees outside their working hours?

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:29 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Is there an issue about banning employers from sending work-related text messages or emails to their employees outside their working hours?
Not that I can remember.

Anyway, I don't see why sending work-related messages to employees outside of working hours would be a problem. Now, expecting the employees to respond outside of working hours, that'd be more sticky.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:35 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Is there an issue about banning employers from sending work-related text messages or emails to their employees outside their working hours?
Not that I can remember.

Anyway, I don't see why sending work-related messages to employees outside of working hours would be a problem. Now, expecting the employees to respond outside of working hours, that'd be more sticky.

It's a problem. After all, it disturbs the employees, and kinda forces them to think about work during times when they should be resting. So far as I know, messaging employees outside working hours has been banned in France for that reason. Employees are also allowed to turn off their work phones outside their working hours.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:36 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:-A slave revolt (i.e. Slaves rising up against their @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ oppressors)
#898 Two’s Company, Three’s a Crowd, Four’s an Uprising
It's not quite a full-scale uprising (more lots of small incidents that are starting to make slavers antsy), but the basic idea is there.

Australian rePublic wrote:-A nation declaring war against and invading @@NAME@@
#244 Foreign Invasion Force Takes on Small Farming Community
A larger-scale invasion isn't viable because nothing is allowed to remove the player's control of the nation.

Australian rePublic wrote:-Social Darwanism
Like I said on this last time:
Trotterdam wrote:Social Darwinism is a broad ideology, not one particular policy. We have various options that encourage actions that would be in line with it (usually small-government options that cut funding for helping people who can't help themselves, but occasionally taking a more active hand in suppressing undesirables), but no single option that says "let's embrace Social Darwinism in all things!" - nor do I think we need one.
And for that matter:
Trotterdam wrote:It's shameful how little Social "Darwinists" and other eugenicists actually understand about Darwinian evolution.

Of course, they're hardly the only ones having trouble on that front.

It seems both the people for and against Darwinism are completely bonkers and debating strawmen. (Or maybe strawwomen, I don't want to discriminate here.)

Thanks

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:53 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:It's a problem. After all, it disturbs the employees, and kinda forces them to think about work during times when they should be resting. So far as I know, messaging employees outside working hours has been banned in France for that reason. Employees are also allowed to turn off their work phones outside their working hours.
An easy (and common) solution is to have separate personal and work email addresses, so even if someone sends you a work-related email outside of work hours, you don't have to actually check your email until the next workday.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:04 am

The text though could be a pain in the arse if you're not in a position to answer them (e.g. driving) and have to make unreasonable measures to answer it (e.g. pulling over) only to discover that it's not important. I wonder how this would work for those who are on-call, though

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:15 am

Australian rePublic wrote:The text though could be a pain in the arse if you're not in a position to answer them (e.g. driving) and have to make unreasonable measures to answer it (e.g. pulling over) only to discover that it's not important.
That seems like it would be at least as much of a problem as when your non-work-related "friends" text you to inform you about random stupid stuff like what they're eating today.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:29 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:The text though could be a pain in the arse if you're not in a position to answer them (e.g. driving) and have to make unreasonable measures to answer it (e.g. pulling over) only to discover that it's not important.
That seems like it would be at least as much of a problem as when your non-work-related "friends" text you to inform you about random stupid stuff like what they're eating today.

Of coarse, but you can't legislate against that. Also,
Text=/=Facebook
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:24 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Chan Island wrote:I know several issues exist in this vein, but I'm starting to wonder if I could do a new angle on the relationship between police and civilians. Can somebody please show me which issues already deal with that topic (or similar)? Thank you!
Just search the spoiler thread for "police" (and maybe "cop"). I'm not going to list every issue in the game that involves police for you.

Fair enough.
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:29 am

Did you know that Burberry incinerated millions of pounds worth of clothing and perfumes to prevent its brand from being "sold cheaply?"

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-44885983

I'm angry since I've heard that, and I can't believe how a company can just burn heaps of clothes to preserve the image of its brand "for snobs" while so many people need clothes. They have used vast resources to produce this stuff, and now they just burn it. I don't know if any other example could illustrate the magnitude of the craziness of our consumerist society. Worse yet, this action also has an environmental impact.

I am planning to write an issue on this. Any advice you can give me before I start a draft?

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
~Walt Whitman

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:18 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:Did you know that Burberry incinerated millions of pounds worth of clothing and perfumes to prevent its brand from being "sold cheaply?"

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-44885983

I'm angry since I've heard that, and I can't believe how a company can just burn heaps of clothes to preserve the image of its brand "for snobs" while so many people need clothes. They have used vast resources to produce this stuff, and now they just burn it. I don't know if any other example could illustrate the magnitude of the craziness of our consumerist society. Worse yet, this action also has an environmental impact.

I am planning to write an issue on this. Any advice you can give me before I start a draft?

A similar thing happened with food in the 1980s in Europe. Look up "Butter Mountains" and be shocked.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:13 am

Chan Island wrote:A similar thing happened with food in the 1980s in Europe. Look up "Butter Mountains" and be shocked.
There's been a draft about that one.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:20 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Chan Island wrote:A similar thing happened with food in the 1980s in Europe. Look up "Butter Mountains" and be shocked.
There's been a draft about that one.

Just last May, and I was very active on that thread. Time to get my memory checked. :oops:

That said, it's still relevant to F&F's question so my point stands.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:27 am

Chan Island wrote:That said, it's still relevant to F&F's question so my point stands.
Yes, yes. I would probably have posted the link even if you hadn't brought it up.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:38 am

I'll try to get back to work on the 'Vanilla' draft shortly: Unfortunately RL has been rather busy lately, and the GA submissions list not much less so....

The next idea that I plan on trying to draft about, after that, will be for capitalist nations in which cars are legal, there are no speed restrictions, and nuclear power is legal: 'Atomic Batteries to Power, Turbines to Speed!'
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:53 am

Good work on fielding all those questions, Trotterdam, your knowledge of the issue base is second to none.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:28 am

Bears Armed wrote:The next idea that I plan on trying to draft about, after that, will be for capitalist nations in which cars are legal, there are no speed restrictions, and nuclear power is legal: 'Atomic Batteries to Power, Turbines to Speed!'
I think you would have a hard time building a nuclear reactor small enough to fit in a car.

In any case, power is already not the main limiter on car speed anyway. Worry about strapping chemical-powered JATO rockets to cars before you start considering making them nuclear-powered.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?