NATION

PASSWORD

1900: Alternative Divergence [AH][OOC-OPEN]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:59 am

Afrique Occidentale wrote:Is it possible for me to create Mutapan empire or some sort of other native empires on the southern Africa region?

Well, parts of it are occupied. As long as you can explain the survival of the Kingdom of Mutapa and why it wasn't conquered by Europeans, sure.
I'm a Romanian, a vampire, an anime enthusiast and a roleplayer.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Terre Australes
Envoy

Founded: Jun 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Terre Australes » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:04 am

Reservation

Nation Name: The Austral republics / les Republiques des Australes / de Austraalrepublieken / Die Australrepublike / Australiska republikerna
Territory:

#AltDiv (do not delete this, it's for keeping track of the apps)
*Note: Reservations will last for 72 hours. The OP board reserves the right to be subjective in regards to accepting reservations.
Last edited by Terre Australes on Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Embassy Program
I don't use NS stats!

Terre Australes
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Terre Australes » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:15 am

Full Nation Name : The Austral Republics
Majority/Official Culture : Not an official culture. The Austral republics are swathes of lands in the "Great Southern land" (Australis = South). Some provinces are more English, some are French. It depends on where you are exactly. The nation is run as a confederacy where states have a lot of individual power, but also have a uniting chamber in the nation's capital: Fort George. The states all have different ethnicities and cultures, and there isn't an official language since there isn't a centralised government. Most people in the confederacy speak English, and most of the Anglo settlers from the British isles landed in Eastern Australia, with the French living in the South-West, and most Dutch settlers living in New Zealand. There are large German minorities everywhere, but Germans are most prevalent on the "frontier" (unsettled lands to the West and the North).
Territorial Core : (The territory on the map)
Territorial Claim : None at the moment, but if settlers move over into Japanese-controlled Australia, then the government could claim the lands there to be their own since there is a large Western presence.
Capital City : Fort George
Population :
The republic of New Georgia (New South Wales) 1,384,846
The republic of Victoria (Victoria) 1,241,070
The republic of Saint Christopher / la republique de Saint-Christophe (South Australia) 373,157
The republic of Mauritsia / de republiek van Mauritsië (New Zealand's northern island) 390,579
The republic of Nieuw Delft (New Zealand's southern island) 382,140
The republic of Willemsland (Tasmania) 2012,475
POPULATION TOTAL: 3,984,267

Government Type : Confederate republic
Government Ideology/Policies : Capitalism, unionism, expansionism (Manifest destiny-style)
Government Focus : The expansion of the Southern republics as trade capitals for European resource companies, the consolidation of a "Southern" identity aside from original identities such as French/English/Dutch/etc., The expansion of land through colonisation, mostly performed by Germans & Dutchmen
Head of State : First minister John R.G. Fairbairn
Head of Government : First minister John R.G. Fairbairn
Government Description : The nation is run by the national parliament in Fort George aside from the government that also resides in the country. The government is indirectly elected by the voting population: all sane men of 18 and older. The men choose a representative for their local constituency that represents them in their republic's parliament, and that parliament then chooses a representative to be sent to the national parliament in Fort George. This number can be between 5 and 30 representatives, based upon the population of the state. The regional parliament decides the rules for each republic, the national government merely inspects them, but it also has a right to veto each bill passed in any republic's parliament. The military is united in the fact that they serve one nation, the confederacy, but are divided in the fact that they are commanded locally, meaning that every republic can allocate its annual military spending how they want, and that the troops serving in that specific republic will be the victims of this change in finance. This means that there is loads of power with the republics, and little power with the national government.

Majority/State Religion : The republics are secular, as is written in the national constitution. The main religion is Protestantism, mostly kept by Protestant presbyterians, English anglicans, French huguenots and Dutch calvinists. Roman catholicism is the second-largest religion, and the largest religion if you split up the protestant religions. Animism makes up a very small part of the population, as it is practiced by the native aboriginals.
Religious Description : Christians believe Jesus Christ is the son and messenger of God, and that he died on the cross for their sins.

Economic Ideologies : Capitalism, social liberalism
Major Production : Agriculture, Steel, oil, ship- and weaponbuilding
Economic Description : A thriving capitalist system built upon small businesses and individual responsibility.

Development: Modern
Development Description : Because it attracted the expertise of the citizens of major western countries such as the UK, France and Holland, and it has totally utilized this to be as developed as can be.

Army Description : The Australy army is ridiculously weak, with much of the army's spending coming from the republics instead of a national government. Every republic has their own defending force, and the strongest defending force is the New Georgia Army, commanded by Major-General James Alexander Kenneth Mackay. The New Georgia Army helps settlers in central Australia by safeguarding supplies from the aboriginal people, defending settlements and forming scouting groups that help the people in navigating around the outback. The army is also responsible for the Australy border with Japan, and does its best to hold that position, although supplying it is highly difficult for them. The New Georgia Army, and the Australy army, don't have any partners that could help them, and are highly reliant on the military spending that they are given. Conditions for soldiers are relatively poor, and enlistment, especially in the French colony of Saint Christopher, is at an all-time low. The entire army numbers around 175,367 men, which is abnormally small. With Australy's liberal rights, most of the population is armed. Both to defend against wild beasts and to defend against robbers, both of which are very common in the outback. Invading the Austral Republics is therefore difficult, because the population is nearly better armed than the army ( Private vs. public spending (; )
Army Weakness : Horrible spending, bad enlistment numbers, no national autonomy over the army, no modern weapons, bad morale
Naval Description : The Australian shipyards haven't really been making ships. The two ships that the Victoria Ship Comp. have built are the R.A.S. Courage and the R.A.S. Guard. These are brown water gunboats, meaning that they can be used on rivers. They rarely get used as a high seas navy, and the responsibility of safeguarding Australian exports and imports is reliant on the powerful Swedish/Dutch navy.
Naval Weakness : Abhorrently small, bad spending, bad enlistment numbers, laughing stock.
Further Military Description : [[OPTIONAL]]

National Goals : The improvement of industry and the Australian economy, the strife to a national identity, the foundation of a stable and free Southern land.
National Issues : The autonomy of the republics must be lowered in order to create a sense of national identity, communication between the republics must be enhanced, political freedoms must be distributed to all the population to get to a free land, international businesses should feel welcome in the Austral republics, and trade ties to Europe should be increased. Ties to Japan must be increased to stop the Austral population's expansion into Japanese lands
National Figures of Interest : [[OPTIONAL]] No.
National Ambition/Aspirations : [[OPTIONAL]] Austral unity, a strong and stable state, economic strength

History : (I'm keeping this rather short, because I don't want to interfere with military lands of the scottish people's royaume angloterre):

When captain James Cook sailed past the coast of Eastern Australia, past what we know in our universe as New South Wales, he was highly impressed with the abundance of natural resources that he found. He reported back to his King (No names, because I'm not sure about what dynasty MLOSP is going to pick) that settling in Terre Australis was a very good idea. His king wasn't particularly happy about this, because he had rather high hopes about India. The Royaume had also gone through a lone and painful war that drained Britain's economy (Whatever equivalent of the seven year's war MLOSP wants to have). Cook therefore applied to the free, more experienced VOC, the Dutch East India company, which was a threat to British interests in the East indies. The king was highly upset with Cook's "betrayal", and changed his mind about settling in Australia. The Dutch weren't going to take this nation for themselves. The Swedish also got involved, as they were setting up an empire too. The Dutch properly chartered the land, and were the first to settle in Tasmania. Other settlers arrived in what is known as Victoria in both our timeline and theirs.The Dutch called Australia "New Holland", but their dreams collapsed when the great british ships carrying hundreds of settlers arrived. Scotsmen, Irishmen, Anglo's and the Welsh were united in their quest to set up efficient colonies in this new great land. At first, colonization was a mess, with British and Dutch colonies constantly fighting among eachother, and hundreds of small states. In the 1810s, however, this rapidly changed, as the Dutch felt less and less connected to their land: Napoleon had taken it, and the settlers in Australia knew, whether they were English, Dutch or Swedish, that there was a time of change, and that coexistence wasn't possible without compromise and support. The men still distrusted one another, but decided to form one nation, a Southern nation, to counter the ever greater Japanese threat, and to consolidate power. Thanks to the British, many "republics" kept power to themselves, and the national government was filled with bureaucrats and those who were unwanted in their own parliament. The late 19th century saw a rise in German and Irish immigrants, with both these groups stepping away from both the English and the Dutch to form their own spheres of influence in Central Australia, eagerly looking for land to settle.

The "Austral Republics" are called that because of Australia's original name: Terre Australis. Many people call the republics in South-East Australia "Australia", but the official name would be the Austral Republics, since that is how the founding fathers adressed the nation when writing the constitution that safeguarded the autonomy of the many republics.
RP Sample: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=444236&p=34123386#p34123386

Last edited by Terre Australes on Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Embassy Program
I don't use NS stats!

Grand Indochina
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Indochina » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:32 am

Tracian Empire When can I see my nation back on the map ?
"Heretics, heretics everywhere.”

Tejang
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Tejang » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:39 am

Sorry about that everyone that the app will be up by Sunday. This is just a reminder.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:57 am

Tejang wrote:Sorry about that everyone that the app will be up by Sunday. This is just a reminder.

In it's current form, I'm afraid that it will most likely be rejected.
Hello there! I am Tracian Empire! You can call me Tracian, Thrace, Thracian, Thracr, Thracc or whatever you want. Really.

Tejang
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Tejang » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:01 am

Tracian Empire wrote:
Tejang wrote:Sorry about that everyone that the app will be up by Sunday. This is just a reminder.

In it's current form, I'm afraid that it will most likely be rejected.

Why is that?

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:25 pm

Tejang wrote:
Tracian Empire wrote:In it's current form, I'm afraid that it will most likely be rejected.

Why is that?

If you can't realize the problems of your app yourself, I'm afraid that there isn't much I can do.

One of the members of the OP board could eventually give your app a proper, point by point review, but like I said, I doubt that it will be accepted.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:30 pm

Terre Australes wrote:
Reservation

Nation Name: The Austral republics / les Republiques des Australes / de Austraalrepublieken / Die Australrepublike / Australiska republikerna
Territory:
*Note: Reservations will last for 72 hours. The OP board reserves the right to be subjective in regards to accepting reservations.

Reservation is accepted

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:30 pm

Grand Indochina wrote:Tracian Empire When can I see my nation back on the map ?

When I'll manage to properly update it.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:47 pm

Danceria wrote:
Plzen wrote:If this is what it sounds like Norden is interested.

Scandinavian-speaking postcolonial Brazil is going to be interesting, if it happens. :p

Or Australia and Indonesia. I'm hoping to be an independent democracy, but I could go a Canada route and be a semi-independent "Dominion". Who knows what could happen?

Well, if you still want to go for something in that area, this is your last chance - you've already lost parts of Australia and Indonesia.

So it would be nice if you would take a decision :P

Aellex
Senator

Founded: Apr 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:05 pm

Reservation

Nation Name:Royaume de Brugie
Territory: Belgium and Netherland
Citoyen Français. Disillusioned Gaulliste. Catholique.

Tombé au champ d'honneur, add 11400 posts.

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

RIP Balk, you were too good a shitposter for this site.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:06 pm

Aellex wrote:
Reservation

Nation Name:Royaume de Brugie
Territory: Belgium and Netherland

Accepted

Aellex
Senator

Founded: Apr 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:14 pm

Writing the app, I had a way better idea, could I alter my reservation from a "Kingdom of Bruge" into an "United Kingdom of the Low-Countries" and add some colonies in the form of the Dutch East Indies that aren't claimed yet too?
Citoyen Français. Disillusioned Gaulliste. Catholique.

Tombé au champ d'honneur, add 11400 posts.

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

RIP Balk, you were too good a shitposter for this site.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:22 pm

Aellex wrote:Writing the app, I had a way better idea, could I alter my reservation from a "Kingdom of Bruge" into an "United Kingdom of the Low-Countries" and add some colonies in the form of the Dutch East Indies that aren't claimed yet too?

It sounds alright to me

NewLakotah
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby NewLakotah » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:47 pm

NewLakotah wrote:
NewLakotah wrote:

Full Nation Name : La Nation Française, Le 2eme Empire Français. The French Nation. The 2nd French Empire - Generally simply known as the French Empire (Empire Français)
Majority/Official Culture : French. Metropolitan Français in France and Guiana, Afrique Noire Française in Africa.
Territorial Core : France. Colonial control over Afrique L'Ouest and Afrique l'Est and Madagascar. Integrated colonial control over Guiana.
Territorial Claim : Normandie, Le Pays-Bas (Low Countries), Le Congo de Sud (South of the British owned Congo, no colonial control) and l'Afrique Centrale
Capital City : Paris, France
Population : Metropolitan France: 37,000,000 (Metro France minus Normandie) French Overseas Empire: 25,535,000 (includes Native populations along with white populations)
- 3 million blanc Africains 19 million noir Africain 3 million personnes de couleur (Coloured people - mixed black/white) 35,000 in Guiana.

Government Type : [[Monarchy, Republic, etc.]] Unitary Constitutional Monarchy
Government Ideology/Policies : [[OPTIONAL]] Imperialism, Catholicism, Expansionism, Colonialism
Government Focus : Creation of the Imperial empire throughout Africa, and throughout South America and the Caribbean. Increasing the control of the central authority of the government. Gaining resources and developing the French colonies, creating them in the image of France. Reclaiming all parts of France and its former glory, rebuilding the economy and industrializing the nation. Keeping France first and dominant on the Continent, unifying all of France and French-speaking peoples of Europe.
Head of State : Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte - By the Grace of God and Will of the Nation, Napoleon IV, Emperor of the French, Co-Prince of Andorra, Emperor of Africa -- Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte -Par la Grâce de Dieu et la volonté de la Nation - Napoleon IV, Empereur Des Francais, Co-Prince d'Andorre, Empereur d'Afrique
Head of GovernmentPrime Minister Jean-Luc Martin
Government Description : Head of state, Presidential powers, Government resides with the Emperor, legistative control and assembly rests with the Prime Minister. The Prime Minister is an elected position, ahead of the Corps Legaslatif, the Parliament, the lower house, the Corps Legislatif, as well as the Senat, the upper house. The Emperor is the official arbiter of all political processes, and has the right to bypass the legislature if he wishes, or to dismiss the Prime Minister or dissolve the government whenever he wises. However, after Constitutional Reforms throughout the 1880's and 90's, the Emperor's actual control has been limited, with more power residing with the Parliament. However, the Emperor still wields significant authority over all things concerning France, as well as its Colonies. Each colony is separately governed by a local assembly with the Governeur-General in charge of all political matters. He is strictly appointed by the Emperor himself and governs at the will of the Emperor for as long as the Emperor wishes.

Majority/State Religion : Catholicism
Religious Description : The Emperor is Defender of the Catholic Faith. The Catholic Faith is the One, True, Holy, Apostolic, Catholic Church. It is the dominant Faith across all of France and its colonies. However, there is a minority of Protestant followers and followers of other sects of Christianity. In Africa and Guiana, Catholicism and Christianity are by far the most dominant, with native tribal religions coming in second, mostly in the rural areas where French control is much less dominant. Muslim influences in some northern regions are minimal, but some tribes are fully committed to that faith, however, they are a minority religion.

Economic Ideologies : Recently, the French economy has seen a fair amount of liberalization of economics and polices, mostly enacted since the rise of Napoleon III. It is pushing through the Industrial Revolution and has seen more and more capitalistic principles. Liberalization of trade and removal of tariffs have greatly increased trade and industry in France. However, it would best be described as a Mixed-Market Economy, drawing from Capitalism and Mercantilism, with a tad bit of early Industrial Socialism been recently sprinkled in since the dawn of the new century in the face of workers unrest and demonstrations. Napoleon IV has been key in de-nationalizing some industries and encouraging investment and finances into Africa and Guiana. More tariffs were removed and taxation and duties reformed. Napoleon IV has removing many taxes on trade and investment on money and movement of money to make Paris the centre of finance on the Continent.
Major Production : Agriculture is still large, Textile, manufacturing and processing of raw resources form their colonies. Financial sectors, consumerism are key components. Banking and Finance have grown under the Napoleon IV strategy of making Paris the Continental Finance centre.
Economic Description : The French Economy is still highly based on rural economics and agriculture. The economic center is still Paris as the dominant center of the entire country. the Bordeaux region is a growing import/export sector. Over the past 100 years, France has worked hard to industralise alongside the rest of Europe, and progress can be certainly seen in the mining and factory heavy Alsace Region. Raw materials and processing is a very large sector connecting their colonies to the mainland. Trade between colonies and European nations has increased with liberalized economics. Since the 1850's and especially during the 1880's Paris and France became a massive continental finance center, something the government has been keen on increasing over the past several years. Railroads have been slow in crossing the nation, but the past 20 years has seen massive growth in the sector, helping grow their industrial and manufacturing output.

Development: [Modern, Semi-Industrialized, or Primitive] Modern
Development Description : Paris has always been a centre of Continental politics and trade. With its connections to Africa and its resources, it has seen massive amounts of industrialization since the 1830's and has only boomed more since the new century. However, it would best be described as a recently industrialized nation, with rural towns all connected to Paris remaining the norm.

Army Description : l'Armee Francais is the pride and joy of the French peoples and the Empire. Throughout its long history, it has enjoyed its successes and it builds of off the traditions of old, and especially from the Napoleonic Traditions from the Post-Revolution Army. The standing force remains at about 400,000 men and officers. Another 1,420,000 remain reservists. l'Armee Afrique is a separate, by technicality, force that combines regiments of regular Metropolitan careerists with locally raised Colonial forces to main the frontiers, ensure order as well as participate in conquest and wars on all continents.

The Army builds his tradition and strategical formations based off of the Grande Armee raised and commanded by Napoleon I. It remains the same system of professionalism, however, has adapted to 20th century concerns and affairs. The Army is structured into 4 separate regional command, Les Districts Militaire, Metropolitan France, Afrique de l'Ouest, Afrique de l'Est and l'Amerique de Sud. The Army is formed into 6 corps, the same standard of the Grande Armee. At the head is the Commander-in-Chief, the Emperor. The training for the soldiers is intense, drilling and mass infantry movements key to the training and strategic studies. Massed infantry assault and fire techniques are stressed more than individual marksmanship, and independency of command is applauded for her officers. The African Army has a standing army of only 85,000 soldiers, of which 21,000 are Metropolitan troops, while the rest are locally raised and trained, generally and in theory, to the same standard that the regular forces are trained too. This is not to make it seem that many of the troops in l'Armee Afrique are not white. Many are, but are considered French Africans, serving in units alongside Black African regiments. Many local French are usually officers in the Afrique military command, commanding over the black Africans.

For most of the military, mass infantry maneuver and artillery is considered key to winning, and as such is the most important aspect. The artillery corps is large and well equipped and trained, with the most modern of equipment possible. The French fighting spirit and individual victory over their opponent is also key, and their uniforms demonstrate that, their dark blue jackets and bright red pants there to demonstrate the dominance and pride of the French people and the individual soldier. Soldiers are expected to serve 4 years as active duty soldiers, and remain on reserve lists for 20 years, after which they are removed from service officially. The order of processes go:

Active Army (20–24)
Reserve of the Active Army (25–34)
Territorial Army (35–41)
Reserve of the Territorial Army (42–48)

This is generally in fear of their bigger and larger enemies to the East and the South, all of whom greatly outnumber the French. These large neighbors have also made sure that the French military staff have stressed training for their army, as well as planning for any and all threats of war. They have prepared extensive lines of fortified towns and cities from The Somme down to Verdun and all the to the French Alps, which are considered a natural defense in its own right.

The Army rewards its career soldiers well, many of whom are battleharded from wars on the Continent and wars in Africa. Most professional members of the military have seen action more than once in several different parts of the world, honing their tactics and strategies to bring them to the next battlefield. They were also very well equipped. Fielding some of the best and most modern light artillery pieces in the world, the French 75, and smaller numbers of other heavier howitzers. The Infantry are equipped with the Lebel M1886, the 8mm standard rifle, a solidly built and high capacity rifle that was the standard throughout the Army.

Army Weakness : The rigid tradition and structure hurts the French Army. Its dedication to the past and upholding the honour and traditions of previous generations of soldiers has hurt the French Army from modifying its tactics and uniforms. The stress on mass assault is still a deeply held belief among all of the higher military staff. Even that, with its rigid military system hurts the Staff Planning College, which boasts only 21 Staff Officers apart of the Army Planning Staff.
Naval Description : The French Navy, Marine Nationale or also known as "La Royale", is a well equipped and modern force with two major duties, protection of French national and trade rights and protection of French soil and colonies. This means that the French Navy holds Bases in French Guiana, Madagascar, Cote d'Ivoire and off the coast of Brittany and the south of France in the Mediterranean Sea. From its earliest beginnings, the French Navy has always played second fiddle next to the Infantry and the Ground Forces. However, that doesn't mean that the Navy doesn't get its fair share. It boasts a highly modern fleet, ranging from large Battleships, down to armoured cruisers. The growth of the Navy as been a pet project by the Emperor since he took power, massively modernizing its fleet so it could match any navy in the world at any place, controlling sea routes and trade from the Adriatic to the Caribbean and down to the Horn of Africa. As such, the Navy is organized into various Battle Groups, each based from one of their bases. Which are:

Cayenne, French Guiana - Caribbean, South Atlantic

Cherbourg, France - Channel, North Sea

Brest, France - North Atlantic Mid Atlantic

Toulon, France - Mediterranean, Aegean

Abidjan, Afrique d'Ouest - South Mid Atlantic Gulf of Guinea

Diego-Suarez, Madagascar - Indian Ocean down to Horn of Africa, Pacific

Maputo, Mozambique - Indian Ocean, Straits Gulf of Aden Pacific

Total number of vessels:
7 pre-dreadnaughts
28 Battleships
32 Cruisers
138 Destroyers
103 TBs
15 Submarines/submersibles
32 Misc. ships
Each Battle Group is shaped around their star pre-dreadnaughts and pocket battleships, supplemented with cruisers, destroyers and other armoured vessels. They work interdependently, but are trained and ready to work on their own against any threat they might face. Over the past several years, modernization efforts, particularly in lighter, faster destroyers have picked up, as well as developing the next biggest and largest of the newer pre-Dreadnaughts.
Naval Weakness : Its not the British Navy. That might seem obvious, but its also a mentality thing. They know they are second to the army. It is by far not the largest, even though it is certainly growing. It is also scattered around the world, protecting its all important trade sectors and colonies. It is well trained and equipped, but it is not the largest or most dominant naval force by any standard. It is not, as it were, the darling of France while the Army is. It is well formed with its battle groups, however, it lacks the ability to effectively dominate any region entirely with obtuse naval strength, instead relying on simply challenging the domestic navies and remaining out of major engagements.
Further Military Description : WIP

National Goals : Growing their reach in Africa, particularly, but also in other parts of the world. Growing French prestige in Europe, challenging its main rivals for control over the mainland. Dominant the world and Christianize and cultivate a dominant economy in Africa.
National Issues : Economics. The French government needs to dominate Continental economics and global trade from America and South America. France, for all its worth, feels threatened by growing power and strength all around it, and Europe is feeling dense and suffocating. Africa is all important, but is France throwing too much money into its colonies? British holdings in Normandie are a severe blow to French national pride, as such France is desperate to make itself dominate and assert herself into the big picture, as powers such as Rome and Germany dominate much of the Continental picture.
National Figures of Interest :

Historical Figures that are highly important to note:

Napoleon I. The founder of the Bonaparte Dynasty, and the most important revered figure in French modern history.

Louis XVI - same as Napoleon, but the exact opposite in every way. He is known as the Last King of France, and looked as a negative symbol. Any negative person in politics is compared to Louis.

Jeanne d'Arc - Hero of the Hundred Years War and French Catholic martyr. Made symbol of France by Napoleon I and French Empire Patron Saint by Napoleon IV.

Current figures of note today:

Government -
Prime Minister Jean-Juc Martin, Prime Minister

Adolphe Gustave Roy important political figure, Conservative minister. "Lion of Africa". Born in Mozambique, he represents Africa like no other, standing for Africa and more political integration. Also a key member of the economic Revolution in decentralizing economic authority from the government to the people and a major proponent of economic capitalism.

General Louis Jalbert - Commander of the French Armies, Chief of Staff of the French Army. Marshall of the Empire. A key figure and right hand military man to the Emperor. The Emperor effectively is the General-in-Chief of the Armies, while Jalbert is his key officer. However, Jalbert manages the day-to-day affairs and planning operations of the French military, coordinating with the French Navy

Louis Thibault - Economic adviser to the Emperor, Cabinet in Chief, Chief of Staff.

National Ambition/Aspirations : As everybody knows, Metropolitan French is the best culture and language. It is the language and culture of love, and it worships the One True God, through the One, True Church. France is the enlightened centre of the world. Paris is the shining beacon of Europe and of civilization, not even the Prussian militaristic dynasties cannot suffocate the light of Paris and France. Even Rome, the traditional and old capital of culture cannot match Paris. Thus, the Frenchification of Africa and the world must happen. Civilization must spread outwards. Africa, regardless of their colour, should become French. Europe is the most enlightened centre of the world, and as such must show the rest of the world up to our standard, Europeanizing them in any manner we must.

In more serious reporting, the French people are still a proud people an refuse to play second fiddle to any nation, no matter who or their closeness in their friendship, they will be equals or higher, that is all. however, they do recognize that they have to prove their place on the Continent against old powers such as the Roman Empires, Spain and the rising Prussian Power.

History : Rough draft history.
486: Frankish king, Clovis I defeats Syagrius to conquer all of Roman Gaul and defeat the last Roman rump state in Gaul
511: the Frankish kingdom falls into 4 separate Frankish kingdoms after the death of Clovis, one for each of his sons.
768: Frankish king, Charles I, effectively units the Frankish lands under one throne.
987: The Capetians under Hugh Capet take over France. They are a much more powerful dynasty and they and their cadet branches would rule France for the next several centuries.
1066: Norman lords lead by William the Conqueror attack and take over all of England. They remain under Norman control. French kings, since they effectively, but not in a real manner, in control over Normandie, declare themselves rightful rules of England. However, little is acted upon for some time.
1337: The Capetian dynasty, weakened over several years, has lost control of Normandie and much of Brittany to the English and Norman kings. The dynasty fails and the throne is left in air. Norman/English kings declare their rightful ownership and are pitted against Valois. Thus begins the Hundred Years War
1412: Jeanne d'Arc is born
1415: French armies are decisively defeated at the Battle of Agincourt
1429: Jeanne d'Arc saves France during the Siege of Orleans, she becomes a national hero and helps lead the armies of France to a series of victories, ensuring that France as a whole doesn’t fall to the Angloterre imposters.
1430: Jeanne d'Arc is captured by Anglais allies and is tried and burned at the stake by les Anglais. However, she is considered a martyr, and eventually does become a martyr, and she inspires the nation forward.
1453: Hundred Years War ends. The Valois establish their control over the French throne, and les Anglais are confined to the northern coasts. French forces were unable to totally pry the British off of the mainland.
1589: The first Bourbon king establishes his reign under King Henry IV. However, he is a Calvinist. This begins the first periods of the Religious Wars.
1592: Henry is initially deposed, but reclaims the throne, albeit a weakened one. He converts to Catholicism.
1610: Louis XIII takes over from his father. Raised by his Catholic mother, he renounces all attempts at allowing Protestantism into France and starts a series of purges against the Protestant leadership and lords, taking the Religious Wars to the next step. The Dutchy of Brittany allies itself with l’Angleterre instead of the French throne. This caused a second French Civil War between warring Catholic and Protestant leaning thrones, despite that Brittany is devoutly Catholic.
1638: Louis the Great succeeds his father and unites the Crown under himself. He ends the feudalism era in France by consolidated all power in his court in Versailles. The Dutchy of Brittany remains semi-independent, but loyal to the crown, since he is the French King as chosen by God. He announces Edict of Nantes, eliminating the rights of Huguenots in France. Most flee abroad, some to Africa, some to the Americas.
1645: First overseas colonies in Haiti and French Guyane (Guiana) are established. However, Haiti will fail as a colony, all Guyane will only barely hang on.
1678: France conquers most of the Low Countries.
1715: Louis the Great dies having reigned 72 years and is succeeded by his great-grandson Louis, Duke of Anjou. Angloterre claims Anjou, causing the short Franco-English War. It ends quickly and Louis assumes his role as King of France and Duke of Brittany.
1774: Louis XVI takes over from his father, the last King of France.
1789: In an effort to form a second voice of the people, the people form the National Assembly to draw up a Constitution for France. The commoners also form the National Guard, wearing, for the fist time, the tri-colour of France. They later adapt this to form the National Flag.
On July 14th, French citizens storm the Bastille, kickstarting the French Revolution.
On August 26th, they sign the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen. After, the Revolution turns against the Church and the clergy, angering the clergy and the more devout Catholic regions, particularly Brittany who turn from the Revolution. Other provinces do the same.
1792: The French National Guard and citizens along with members of the French army storm the Palace where the Royal Family lives. They kill almost all the Swiss Guards defending the King. The King flees but is a prisoner who losses all of his power. He awaits trial along with his entire family.
1793: After the death of the last Bourbon King, the First French Republic is officially formed. Almost immediately they are beset on by war from various powers and civil wars. They lack the power to hang on and defeat the enemy. The Reign of Terror also begins as Revolutionaries dominate France killing any and all perceived threats to the Republic.
1799: One man seizes power in France, creating a military dictatorship. He declares himself to be the Revolution and creates the First French Empire. This is Napoleon I, or Napoleon the Great
1800: He undoes the negative parts of the Revolution and calls himself Emperor of the French, to symbolize his ruling for the people. He begins a series of economic reforms that saves France and begins the early parts of rebuilding the French economy.
1803: Napoleon declares war on the Angloterre and Brittany. He captures all of Brittany in the First Campaign, lasting only 3 weeks. However, Napoleon doesn’t only look at France. He invests money into the flailing colony of Guyane.
1805: Napoleon leads the expedition into Africa. He conquers parts of Afrique l’Ouest in the first moves of the Colonial Campaigns.
1806: Napoleon conquers much of East Africa along the Mozambique coast. Later he pushes north, conquering most of Somalia.
1807: Napoleon returns to Europe to take the Low Countries in a swift campaign. He moves south as well, into Spain. Mot of Spain manages to fall under Napoleon's direct or indirect control.
1808: Napoleon returns to Africa one last time in the Madagascar Campaign. He conquers all of the Island kingdom, become becomes ill of some mysterious native disease.
1810: Switzerland is conquered by Napoleon.
1812: Napoleon attempts to conquer the last holdout of Normandie. Launching a massive French armada to defeat the Royal Navy. This ends in a catastrophic defeat that ends Napoleons string of victories.
1815: Napoleon succumbs to his illness, dying and leaving his young son as Emperor. However, he is but a child. Napoleon the II’s reign is short. He is quickly overthrown by Radical Republicans who start the 2nd French Republic.
1818: Loyalists to Napoleon begin the First French Civil War. This ends the dominance of France over Napoleon’s conquests, however, Brittany remains, fighting heavily in favour of the Bonapartists. The Civil War ends in favour of the Republicans however.
1848: Napoleon III, cousin to the deceased Napoleon II and nephew of Napoleon the Great becomes President and starts a coup that makes him President for life.
1852: Napoleon holds a referendum and ends the Republic. He announces himself the Emperor of the French. The plebiscite is won by him with 97% of the vote
1856: Napoleon takes control of the nation, heavily modernizing it and rebuilding the French economy. He lowers much of the tariffs and sets about making Paris to be the economic center of the Continent.
1858: Napoleon sends expeditions into the Kenyan-Tanzanian interior. He invests millions of Francs into the colonies. However, he focuses mostly on Metropolitan France.
1870: Radical Republicans sense an opportunity to overthrow the Emperor. They have a change announced to the Constitution, and a 2nd Plebiscite is held. Napoleon III wins the vote emphatically again. However, the Republicans are only pushed back into the shadows to wait once more.
1873: Napoleon III dies and leaves the throne to his son, Louis-Napoleon Le Napoleon IV. There is some issue with how the succession should take place and Radical Republicans use this opportunity to try and seize power.
1874: France breaks out into all-out civil war again, in the Second Civil War.
1875: The French Republican Army is defeated at Soissons, ending the resistance on the continent. The Republicans flee south to the African colonies.
1876: The Battle of Maputo defeats the last Revolutionary Army, ending the 2nd French Civil War
1878: Napoleon IV holds the 3rd Plebiscite to establish his control over the people and end all Republican efforts. He wins with 95% of the vote. However, he respects some of the dissenting voice and begins work on several Constitutional Reforms
1880: The first constutional reform passes, limiting power of the Emperor and restoring governmental powers to the Prime Minister and the Corps Legislatif.
1882: Napoleon, keen on Africa, sends an expedition into the interior and encourages thousands of French citizens to move to Africa. He invests into developing the African cities and infrastructure, allowing for the natural resources of Africa to support the mainland. He also continues in the effort started by his father to redevelop and reform the economy, lowering taxes on wealth movement and financial industries to continue to try and make Paris more of an economic centre of the Continent.
1890: Napoleon builds the first of the African Palaces in Abidjan and finishes his second Grand Palace in Maputo in 1893
1899: The finale African Palace is built on Madagascar. He puts forward new money for new colonial exploration of Africa and increases French land claims over Southern and Central Africa. He officially declares himself l’Empereur d’Afrique (Emperor of Africa) and adds that to his titles.

RP Sample:
2024: Age of Superpowers
Fallout South the Mason MKIII
Outbreak
Fallout: MK-I

Pretty much all set, though the history could be a bit more detailed.

Reposting this... since it seems to have been missed.
Last edited by NewLakotah on Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
"How smooth must be the language of the whites, when they can make right look like wrong, and wrong like right." ~~ Black Hawk, Sauk

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." ~~ Tecumseh

Free Leonard Peltier!!

The Traansval
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Traansval » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:40 pm

Aellex wrote:Writing the app, I had a way better idea, could I alter my reservation from a "Kingdom of Bruge" into an "United Kingdom of the Low-Countries" and add some colonies in the form of the Dutch East Indies that aren't claimed yet too?

I mean you do realize that Netherlands literally means Low Lands, so i'm not sure why you can't just use that. If you don't want to be associated with the irl Netherlands, you can use the term de Nederlanden which is the dutch term that refers to the low countries as a whole, or the French term for it "Pays-Bas".

Tejang
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Tejang » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:14 pm

Reservation

Nation Name: Kingdom of Tibet
Territory: Tibet

Terre Australes
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Terre Australes » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:07 am

The Traansval wrote:

I mean you do realize that Netherlands literally means Low Lands, so i'm not sure why you can't just use that. If you don't want to be associated with the irl Netherlands, you can use the term de Nederlanden which is the dutch term that refers to the low countries as a whole, or the French term for it "Pays-Bas".

Because "The kingdom of the low lands" is historically wrong. The low countries are the proper term in English. The ways to adress the nation would be:

The united kingdom of the Netherlands
Het verenigde koninkrijk der Nederlanden
le royaume-uni des pays-bas
das vereinigte königreich der Niederlanden.

Netherland means low country, so you can go on using that if you'd like.
Embassy Program
I don't use NS stats!

The Traansval
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Traansval » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:54 am

Terre Australes wrote:
The Traansval wrote:I mean you do realize that Netherlands literally means Low Lands, so i'm not sure why you can't just use that. If you don't want to be associated with the irl Netherlands, you can use the term de Nederlanden which is the dutch term that refers to the low countries as a whole, or the French term for it "Pays-Bas".

Because "The kingdom of the low lands" is historically wrong. The low countries are the proper term in English. The ways to adress the nation would be:

You've literally just restated my points, adding in a couple other terms.

Terre Australes
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Terre Australes » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:03 am

The Traansval wrote:
Terre Australes wrote:

You've literally just restated my points, adding in a couple other terms.

You said that it's literally translated to 'lowlands', that's not really true now is it?
Embassy Program
I don't use NS stats!

The Traansval
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Traansval » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:42 am

Terre Australes wrote:
The Traansval wrote:You've literally just restated my points, adding in a couple other terms.

You said that it's literally translated to 'lowlands', that's not really true now is it?

Netherlands

neth·er
ˈneT͟Hər/Submit
adjective
lower in position.
"the ballast is suspended from its nether end"
synonyms: lower, low, bottom, bottommost, under, basal; underground
"the nether regions"

land
land/Submit
noun
the part of the earth's surface that is not covered by water, as opposed to the sea or the air.
"the reptiles lay their eggs on land"
synonyms: terra firma, dry land; More
verb
3rd person present: lands
put (someone or something) on land from a boat.
"the lifeboat landed the survivors safely ashore"
come down through the air and alight on the ground.
"planes landing at the rate of two a minute"
synonyms: touch down, make a landing, come in to land, come down More
Last edited by The Traansval on Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:51 am

Alright, I'm going to have to ask you both to stop right here and right now. I appreciate your interest in helping new players, but I am sure that Aellex will research the name before creating his nation, and you two can be certain that the OP board will take care of it.

The Traansval
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Traansval » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:33 am

yote

Tracian Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Tracian Empire » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:44 am

The Traansval wrote:Confederation of the Shawnee, Miami, Sioux Nations, Cheyenne, Arapaho, Pawnee, Chickasaw, Comanche, etc.

Your nation seems to be a bit more modern than the Haudenosaunee, which is weird, but not impossible, I guess.

With the mention that you should expand your history later on, accepted.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse