NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Business Ethics and Social Responsibility

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Inspector Carmelita Fox
Secretary

Founded: Dec 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Business Ethics and Social Responsibility

Postby Inspector Carmelita Fox » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:25 pm

Good day WA nations of the General Assembly, I have put forward a draft proposal that may be useful. While I appreciate businesses as important to society, sometimes businesses may be too focused on the profit motive. This proposal will try to get businesses to follow guidelines to help its stakeholders and also reduce immoral behavior in companies. However I'm not sure if the proposal may be broad since it covers several things.
Business Ethics and Social Responsibility
Category: Social Justice | Effect: Significant | Proposed by Inspector Carmelita Fox

To the General Assembly:

Believes the right of businesses to pursue their own self-interest, their profit motive, and obligation to improve their performance for shareholders;

Concerned about the health of stakeholders of businesses including but not limited to consumers, employees, society, and the environment,

Worried about the unethical behavior that are committed by employees and employers for various reasons in businesses,

Confident that by having business leaders set a good example for themselves will improve their own public view and stakeholders involved,

Hereby,

Establishes an Economic Ethics Commission (EEC), which receives reports of violations of this resolution from WA member countries,

Orders that businesses create an ethics code to set a good example for themselves and urges business leaders to lead,

Ensures that businesses are responsible to the needs of their community and society through contribution to community service, philanthropy, or other activities,

Prohibits businesses from misrepresenting their products and services, lying or deceiving the public, the government, and private parties of public financial documents or other company information,

Mandates businesses to practice non-discrimination hiring and work practices based on gender, sex orientation, race, or age and to maintain and care for their own employees’ well being and health,

Ensures that businesses are adopting efforts to help protect the environment by setting standards for themselves and adopts business sustainability practices by maintain that its own present needs are met while preserving the natural resources it may use for the future.
Last edited by Inspector Carmelita Fox on Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:29 pm

"How exactly would the first 'ensures' clause work? Would it mean that all businesses would have to donate to charity a portion of their profits? Also, the 'mandates' clause is covered by CoCR."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:57 pm

Kenmoria wrote:"Also, the 'mandates' clause is covered by CoCR."

OOC: Actually it both duplicates and contradicts GA #35,The Charter of Civil Rights (CoCR), since CoCR specifically allows hiring discrimination for compelling reasons, using literally this wording as an example: "such as hiring only female staff to work with battered women who have sought refuge from their abusers".

EDIT: And the Prohibits clause seems to prohibit advertizing pretty much entirely.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:36 am

"I don't see the need to create the EEC, given you only task it with receiving reports. The compliance commission would deal with non-compliance anyway, as tasked in GA #390."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:46 am

Ooc: as somebody with a passing familiarity with US corporate law, this makes me cringe. I'm sure there are other GA regulars with a better grasp on corporate law, but right now I see some significant flaws that don't comport with why businesses are organized the way they are organized.

I'll weigh in later, and try to make my US biases as minimal as possible, since US methods =/= the Only Way.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:18 am

Mentoka wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Ooc: as somebody with a passing familiarity with US corporate law, this makes me cringe. I'm sure there are other GA regulars with a better grasp on corporate law, but right now I see some significant flaws that don't comport with why businesses are organized the way they are organized.

I'll weigh in later, and try to make my US biases as minimal as possible, since US methods =/= the Only Way.

In reality, most corporations are structured only to protect themselves against liability and prosecution. The prime example being British Petroleum. Sure the corporation was prosecuted, but a corporation as an entity does not make decisions on its own. Yet due to the way corporations are allowed to be structured, the actual decision makers remain all but immune. Perhaps this draft could be redesigned to take that into consideration?

OOC: not strictly true. Corporations can immunize themselves from all negligent or recklessness liability (In the US), but not necessarily the corporation itself. Because corporate personhood is an essential concept to business entity law and has been for centuries, you can still hold the entity liable and attach it's assets.

This isn't an unreasonable scheme. Business entities exist to promote business and defray the risk of enterprise. The more duties imposed on an entity, the greater the disincentive to do business. Some duties are necessary, certainly, or a corporation would just be a criminal cartel. But I argue that only those strictly necessary should be imposed internationally.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Return to General Assembly