NATION

PASSWORD

Young Bloods(IC, Reboot Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tomia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tomia » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:36 am

Yoshiro, Alexis and Angelica
Earlier, Los Angeles, July 8th

Sitting outside of the ice cream shop which Frost Bite had led them to, Yoshiro idly scooped a spoonful of ice cream into her mouth. Her thoughts were still lingering on the events in the Stars’ HQ, and she found her gaze wandering over to the titanic building across the street – the vibrant blue and yellow colours of the superhero team’s logo still clearly visible even from down at street level. The whole day still seemed surreal to her, the meeting about Red was fresh in her mind and yet she felt like she’d hardly had a chance to think about him since then. Yoshiro felt a stab of guilt, but quickly tried to push it aside. They would prove Red innocent, she was sure of it, but Roy was right – they would have to do it properly, and that would take time. If they did anything rash, then they would just wind up getting him into more trouble than he already was. Sighing to herself, Yoshiro wondered where he was at that instant – did he still realise that there were those on the outside rooting for him?

Looking up, Yoshiro offered Alexis a friendly smile. The pair of them had been mostly silent since Angelica had left them to their own devices. Where could they even start to unpack what they now knew?

“So, what do you think about all that?” Yoshiro began, deciding that they had better discuss it before Frost Bite got back. “It all seems crazy to me. I never really thought about Frost – I mean Angelica’s – parents before, but Captain Quake? I honestly don’t know how she’s put up with him for so long if this is how he’s been treating her mother.” The telepath looked over to her friend, trying to gauge her response. She hesitated slightly before continuing, wondering if it she was being stupid to bring up her next question. “Hey, I also meant to ask you about that autograph. I mean, it’s fine I guess, but don’t you think it was a little mean to do that in front of, you know?”

Upon being reminded of her little stunt at the Stars’ headquarters, Alexis could only respond to Yoshiro with a sheepish smile. “Oh, um, I guess it might have been a little mean, but I symbolically flipped them the bird afterwards, and I don’t think I was gonna get a second chance at getting one, especially after this meeting.” She said before shoving a few spoonfuls of chocolate ice cream into her mouth and enjoying the flavor for a few moments. “And you know, it isn’t even for me. I wasn’t lying when I said I have a buddy who’s a big fan of the Stars. Having a bargaining chip like this is going to be a big help in my plans, but I can’t tell you any more than that.” A mischievous smile appeared on her face as she pronounced the final words.

“And um, about Angie…” The tech wizard began, her speech becoming a lot less lively as she adopted a more reflexive expression. “Well, I wouldn’t know where to begin, really. I knew her before, but I didn’t really talk to her at school or anything and even when I tried to befriend her as Frost Bite, she didn’t tell me a lot about herself, so, I’m just as surprised as you are.” She explained, looking up at the building in front of them and frowning. “I’m just glad she came to us for this, though. Maybe we weren’t all that helpful, but I don’t want to think about what would have happened if she had come here alone.”

Yoshiro raised an eyebrow, wondering what exactly Alexis was up to. The younger girl already had a mischievous streak to her name, and there was a certain glimmer in her eye that told the telepath that this was part of some wider scheme of her’s. She thought she had some ideas of who Alexis’ ‘friend’ was, but Yoshiro decided now wasn’t the time to try and confirm her suspicions.

“Yeah, it looks like this has been weighing on her.” Looking up at the tech wizard, Yoshiro offered her a friendly smile. “You’re a really good friend for coming here with her. I feel like I sort of just happened to stumble into this, but she really trusts you.” Glancing at her effectively empty cup, a thought struck her. “I feel like I’ve hardly seen half the team actually being kids, you know? Angelica and Roy seem like this is their entire life - I can’t picture them just going to the movies to hang out.”

In response, the blonde girl chuckled. “Yeah, I know what you mean. They really fit the ‘brooding, dark hero’ archetype, even if only one of them deals with shadows and stuff.” She said, opting to ignore the comment about Yoshiro being somewhat an outsider in this situation; she disagreed, but it didn’t feel like something worth expressing at the moment. In any case, though, knowing that Angelica trusted her was nice, and she hoped to continue proving that she was a friend worth trusting.

“Although… you know, at least one of them has been doing stuff befitting their age since the team formed, what with cooking burgers on the beach, or starting to hang out a lot with Wendy.” Alexis stated, her words making it more than obvious which one of the two ‘brooding heroes’ she was referring to. An amusing thought crept into her mind and the tech wizard chuckled yet again before shooting Yoshiro a conspirative glance. “It would be really cute to see our little Angie here in that sort of situation, don’t you think? But don’t tell her I ever said that, because she’d probably try to kill me. Maybe literally.”

Just as the younger of the two girls had finished uttering those words, a third one arrived, returning to the ice cream shop after going off to do whatever it was that she had to do. “Hey, Icy Daisy! How’d everything go?”

“Good” Angelica said calmly, seemingly in a slightly better mood then before. “I got my mom out, she’s on her way home. I didn’t get a chance to see her though.” She said, looking a bit troubled at that thought. “I was wondering if you two would be willing to do one more thing with me...Maybe, just go visit her?” She asked, clearly sounding self conscious about her request.

Yoshiro offered Angelica a friendly smile, her cup of ice cream lying empty on the table in front of her. “Sure thing, if you think us being there will help.” Inwardly, she felt a surge of triumph as the formerly cold and reserved ice user seemed to open up to them. It was a nice change from earlier in the day, Yoshiro felt like they were actually doing some good for one of their friends. “If you’d rather, we can also just wait outside while you say hi to her.” She said. Next to her, Alexis nodded along as she stuffed her face full of chocolate ice cream in order not to delay the group.

“Sure - thatsh what friendsh are for!" The younger girl said eagerly.

Angelica let out a small laugh at Alexis’ behavior, clearly a bit amused. She then nodded and waited until Alexis was done eating before leading them down the street. They walked for about ten minutes, chatting amongst themselves while they walked. Angelica didn’t talk too much but that wasn’t uncommon anyway. She at least didn’t make the mood as tense as before. Soon they had reached a part of the neighborhood that was clearly not as affluent as that of Stars’.

They came upon a brown apartment building, walking inside, Angelica quickly glanced through the list of tenants, pressing the buzzer with the name Diana Simmons on it.

“Who is it?” A voice said from the intercom, it was a woman’s voice, and it sounded tired.

“Mom, its me, Angelica.” Frost-bite said back into the intercom.

“Angelica?” The voice said, much more energetic now. The buzzer clicked and the door to the lobby opened.

“Come on” Angelica said to her friends, leading them up the stairs. The building had clearly seen better days. The paint on the walls was chipped, and the rugs in the hallways seemed like they could use a good cleaning.

They reached apartment 307, and Angelica took a deep breath before knocking.

The door opened quickly after the knock, and suddenly a woman had pulled Angelica into a fierce huge. “Angel baby, it's so good to see you!” The woman said affectionately. Angelica’s mother had blonde hair like her daughter’s but hers was shorter and thinner. Diana was a pretty woman, who looked similar to Angelica, but her face seemed a bit unnaturally thin. Her skin was pale too, it was clear she had seen better days.

“Hi Mom,” Angelica said softly, taking off her mask and hugging her mother tightly. When she pulled away from the hug she gestured towards Alexis and Yoshi.

“These are my friends, Alexis and Yoshiro.”

Diana seemed to perk up at the mention of Angelica having friends, “Friends? That’s wonderful news sweetie.” She said with a smile, making Angelica blush slightly.

Her mother turned to the two guests, holding out her hand to shake, “It’s wonderful to meet both of you! So how do you know my Angel here?”

The first one to accept the gesture was Alexis, eagerly shaking Diana’s hand. “Nice to meet you too, ma’am! I can really see where Angelica got her looks from.” She said, making finger guns at the mother after her compliment. Then, she walked over to the daughter, casually throwing an arm around her neck as she began speaking. “Me and Tangy Angie here, we go way back ma’am. It all started out in the jungles of Vietnam. There she was, fresh out of ammunition and surrounded by the enemy, when suddenly…” The girl related her obviously fanciful story, pretending to herself that she had everyone in the room enraptured. However, a flick to the nose was enough to stop her before she had progressed very far.

“That’s enough, Alex.” Frostbite said in a deadpan.

“Ow… fine.” The blonde girl mumbled, before looking back at Diana. “Anyway, suffice to say, we’re thick as thieves, right Angelica?” She said with a grin on her face as she pulled her friend closer, enough for their heads to touch. A moment afterwards, she pointed at Yoshiro. “Oh, and Fishy Yoshi over there, she’s pretty cool too.”

Yoshiro offered Diana a wave, wearing an amused smile behind the other two girls and the boisterous Alexis. It was always interesting to see the contrast between the usually collected and reserved Angelica and Alexis’ more excessively outgoing personality. The two of them made a perfect pair. “Hi Ms. Simmons, we got to school with Angelica back in San Diego.”

Diana couldn’t help but laugh gently at Alexis’ humor. “Well, my daughter seems to have found two wonderful friends. It’s great to hear, considering how serious she tends to be.”

“Mom… there’s some things we need to talk about.” Angelica said in a serious tone. She took a bundle of bills out of her pocket and handed it to her mother. “This is from my father, I used the rest to get you out this afternoon.”

Diana frowned at that. “I don’t need his money. I don’t want it.”

“Mom, you do need his money.” Angelica said firmly. “You think I wanted to go and ask him for it? No, but I did it because it was the only way to get you out of jail. What happened? You’ve been clean for months now.”

“Angel I was, and still am. It’s just hard… Sometimes it feels like I’ll never really be past
It.” Diana looked on verge of tears at this point.

“It’s okay mom, I believe in you. And I’ll always be there when you need me.” Angelica said, pulling her mother into a gentle hug.

They hugged in silence for a few moments until they pulled apart and Diana agreed to take the money.

“I promise mom, one day I’m going to be a professional, and I’ll give the life you deserve.”

Diana smiled at that, “I know you will Angel, I have no doubt you’ll be great. But money isn’t the only thing that matters okay? You being here means more than any paycheck, so make sure you surround yourself with good people, that’s what’ll make you happy.” She said in the form of motherly wisdom.

Angelica blushed a little, looking embarrassed. “I will mom.” She said simply.

The four of them then hung out in Diana’s apartment for a little while, it wasn’t exactly a clean or spacious place, but Alexis had volunteered them to help clean. When the girls were done, Yoshi’s telekinetic abilities were particularly useful there, the apartment looked a lot better.

Diana was smiling brightly by the time Angelica and her friends left the apartment, and the three walked down the stairs and towards the helicopter that had brought them here.

When they got to the helicopter, Angelica took the driver’s seat and spoke to her friends. “Thanks.” Angelica said as they took off. “My mom really liked you guys. I wanted to bring you there because well… My mom worries about me not having friends.” She said, looking a little embarrassed.

Yoshiro smiled at Angelica, feeling a stab of sympathy for her. “Well, that’s not something that she’s going to have to worry about anymore. You’ve got us now, not to mention the rest of the team.” The girl offered the ice user a thumbs up to highlight her point, but paused as she remembered that she maybe hadn’t been the most considerate of friends herself. Glancing over to Alexis, Yoshiro called out over the sound of the rotor blades to get her attention.

“Hey, Alex. I’ve been meaning to talk to you about the meeting earlier.” Pausing, she tried to find the right words. “I’m sorry for being so high-strung, I just felt helpless. I thought that nobody else spared even a thought for Red and just wanted to throw him under the bus. It really means a lot to me that you helped me out despite all that, and I realise that I never thanked you for it.” Yoshiro offered the other girl an embarrassed smile. “You’re a really good friend Alexis. But I was wondering how you were doing too? I noticed that you seemed a bit, you know, withdrawn at the meeting and figured that something may be up.”

The blonde girl made her best attempt to smile reassuringly at Yoshiro upon hearing her apology, and then grinned at the compliment. However, when her muted behavior during the meeting was brought up, the grin quickly faded away. Alexis remained silent for several moments, carefully thinking through her next few words. “Ah, haha, yeah, I guess I was acting weird back there huh?” She said sheepishly, offering a bit of an awkward smile to the Asian girl. “Um, nothing bad’s up, really. It’s just that the whole thing with Red was making everyone tense and I thought it’d be better if I just kept my emotions under wraps. It’s… one of those weird things I can do, you know? Like not sleeping or always having a lot of energy. Just… one of the perks of being me, I guess.” She said with a weak chuckle, though her smile died down quickly.

“...I don’t like doing it much.”

Angelica frowned at Alexis’ comment, it seemed like something was bothering her. It was strange that she wasn’t sleeping, what could that mean?

“Is that some kind of ability you have Alexis? I didn’t know you were able to go without sleep. That would come in handy for me sometimes.”

“Oh, yeah. I guess I haven’t told you guys? Honestly it’s not something I go around telling everyone, because it’s kind of weird, but yeah, I’ve never really needed to sleep like everyone else, I just sorta have a lot of energy even when I exercise or whatever. Sometimes nights get pretty boring, but it’s time I can spend working on my projects.” The younger girl explained.

Concerned, Yoshiro tried to offer Alexis a friendly smile even while she worried about what exactly all this might mean for her. “I mean, not needing to sleep does sound pretty cool. I don’t really know what I’d do with all that time!” It had to be some kind of power, nothing else could explain it. But that explanation didn’t quite sit well with Yoshiro. Alexis’ thoughts had definitely felt muted during the meeting, not just restrained. It was as if the girl had entered into some kind of a trance, with her emotions just not being as vivid as usual. But how something like that tied into not needing any sleep was a mystery. Lightly punching the other girl in the shoulder, Yoshiro put the her concerns to one side. Smirking, she chided Alexis. “You’ve been holding out on us! What other secret powers do you have tucked away? Next thing you’re going to be shooting lasers out of your eyes or something.”

“Yeah, I don’t think that’s gonna happen.” Alexis replied, clearly amused at the thought and in a better mood than when she had first brought up her unusual talent. “Frankly if you think about it, it’s pretty different from most supers. Instead of a big, flashy superpower, I have, like, lots of little quirks that make me different from others. They’re pretty weird, too; I don’t think anyone else in our team here can’t sleep and stuff like that.” She commented.

Then, as if to change the subject and poke fun at one of her friends at the same time, the blonde girl swung her arm around Yoshiro’s neck, a mischievous smile now on her face. “Aaaaanyway! Speaking of things that were brought up back at the meeting, Yoshi-girl, do you happen to have any plans for when we manage to get Mr. Handsome Guy out of his cell?” She asked. It was pretty hard not to have noticed the way Yoshi acted around Red, after all, and in addition to that, Alexis figured that a little bit of stealthy optimism couldn’t hurt anyone.

“What, me?!” Yoshiro responded defensively, a rush of colour flooding to her cheeks as she suddenly found herself on the spot. “N-no, I mean yes. I mean, of course - don’t you guys? After everything that he’s been through we should probably have some kind of celebration once he’s out. That’s what friends do for each other, right?” Yoshiro’s flustered smile wavered as Alexis continued to look at her with a disbelieving expression. “I mean, sure he’s handsome, and cute. But I mean, we’re just friends. Besides, he’s way too cool for me anyway - it wouldn’t go anywhere. N-not that I’ve ever thought of it!”

The words did little to convince the other girls and Yoshiro squirmed under their gazes. With a groan, she gave in and sunk her head into her hands. “Urghhh, guys I need help.” She whined. Her voice was muffled by her palms as she sulked in the back of the helicopter. “I can’t get him out of my head, but I don’t think he’s ever even considered me like that. And I bet that he’s always gotten all the cool girls, you know? The ones that are always popular with the guys.” Glancing up from her moping, Yoshiro looked towards Angelica. “Hey Angie, you’re cool and aloof - how do you do it?”

Angelica was a bit taken back by Yoshi’s question. She wasn't used to being described as cool and aloof before. “I don’t know, it’s not like it’s something I’m actively doing. But I guess, when you fight criminals and killers regularly, small talk just doesn’t seem to matter too much.”

“See, that’s what I mean. You can just go out there and be a hero without breaking a sweat, like Red. He’s out there doing what’s right no matter what people say about him behind his back, out there putting his life on the line.” Yoshiro let out a sigh, glancing down out her own fists, still bearing some wounds from the harsh training on the island. “Meanwhile I can hardly hold my own even when you go easy on me. I’m just so useless at all this hero stuff that I don’t know why he’d ever be interested.”

Angelica reached out and put her hand on Yoshi’s shoulder, which was slightly awkward both because Angelica wasn’t too comfortable with human contact and the two were sitting together on the helicopter.

“It doesn’t come naturally, at least it didn’t for me. It takes time and effort, but you can get there. Besides, the gruff hero type is overrated, trust me.” Angelica said with a small smile.

“Yeah! Don’t sell yourself short, Yoshi. Like, sure, maybe you’re not really the brooding, cool dudette that you think you should be, but you’re trying really hard to make your way in this whole hero business, and that’s pretty nice too.” Alexis chimed in, eager to make her friend feel a little better after nearly causing her a mental breakdown by asking her about her crush. Of course, that didn’t mean that her mischievous side had gone to sleep (such was, after all, impossible); far from it, in fact, so, parallel to the train of thought that focused on helping her out, she had an amusing idea to get her flustered some more.

“Besides, his loss if he doesn’t think you’re good enough for him, you know? You’re a great girl, and you’re not bad looking at all either. If I were a boy, I’d be all over you.” She said with an amused grin on her face, winking at the girl just for effect.

Yoshiro blushed at Alexis’ comment, struggling to respond. “You guys think so?” She eventually managed meekly, knowing how pitiable it must have sounded to the others. Alexis’ compliment clearly put her on the back foot, and Yoshiro didn’t know if she should respond to the younger girl in kind. Would that make things weird? Biting her lip, Yoshiro decided that she may as well try and get all the help that she could. “What should I do then? I’m sending him all the signals that I can think of - I just don’t understand why boys are so blind, you know?” She hesitated, a sobering realisation striking her. “Maybe he’s just not interested in me.”

“Maybe your signals are less obvious than you think.” Angelica offered. “You are a telepath and an empath after all. Your affection is probably more obvious to you then him.”

“That said… I don’t think it’s the case that he’s not interested in you.” Alexis spoke up again. “I mean, let’s look at the facts, shall we? I’m pretty sure you two had a lot of chemistry going on--you know, before he went off by himself and got in trouble, I mean.” She stated. “Not to mention, if the issue really is that he’s blind to all the signals that you’re sending him, well, that has an easy solution, don’t you think? Just, you know, spell it out for him. He won’t be able to play dumb any more if you do that.” The blonde girl suggested. She knew it was easier said than done, but as things stood, it was probably Yoshiro’s best shot. As soon as Red was exonerated, anyways.

Yoshiro looked at Alexis in horror, her ears burning. “No way! I can’t ask him just go up and ask him out of nowhere. I don’t know, I just feel like it’s always been me chasing after him - like at the dance I had to go and ask him. I thought something would happen then, but nothing.” There was some truth to Alexis suggestion, and Yoshiro knew it. She’d be lying if she said that she hadn’t considered trying to ask Red herself, but every time she just couldn’t work up the nerve. What if he said no? Would they still be able to even be friends? Trying to justify her own fearful hesitation, Yoshiro shrugged. “Besides, aren’t guys meant to be the ones to ask us?”

“Pfft. Where do you think you live, girl? This isn’t a Jane Austen novel, it’s the 21st century. Sure if you want you can wait for a cute boy to pay attention to you and ask you out and all that jazz, but honestly, competition is the name of the game. If you’re after someone special, better ask him out before someone good enough for his standards beats you to the punch, or you’ll end up regretting it.” Alexis stated, and then continued in a lighter tone. “Of course, if you feel like you’ll need a little bit of moral support or some set-up before you can muster the guts to do that, we’re here for you. Angie here owes us a favor, and I’m a sucker for a good romance, so I’ll be happy to help!”

Angelica rolled her eyes at Alexis’ comment, but ultimately nodded. “I don't much about romance, but if I can help, sure why not?” She said, shrugging as she continued to fly the helicopter.

After a little while more of chatting and conversation, they had arrived back at Wonder Island. Angelica parked the borrowed helicopter in the hanger and hopped onto the ground gracefully. Yoshiro followed closely behind, stretching after being cramped inside the small cabin for so long. Turning towards the other two, she smiled sheepishly, rubbing the back of her head.

“Thanks for the trip guys, I actually had a good time - we should do it again later.” Yoshiro paused, mentally kicking herself as she remembered that Angelica probably wouldn’t want a repeat trip to be quite the same. “I’ve got to go meet someone Naja told me about, but I’ll see you later.” Turning to walk off, Yoshiro paused for a moment - hesitating before asking for one last thing. “Hey, umm, so I just wanted to say - do you guys mind not telling anyone about what we talked about? I don’t really want it to be common knowledge.”

“Fat luck, girl. You’re not exactly the subtlest around your crush.” Alexis teased as she climbed out of the helicopter last, jumping off and landing with a little maneuver, briefly striking a pose for no other reason than to amuse herself. “But sure thing! I ain’t gonna tell a soul about what happened here in this helicopter, they can find out by themselves.” She said with a bit of a mocking grin as she waved at the girl, making it clear that all of her teasing was in good spirit. Rolling her eyes, Yoshiro offered offered a final wave in return before walking back into the Tower.

After Yoshi had left, Angelica turned back to Alexis. “Hey, thanks again. I know today must have been a lot, but you made it a lot easier…. I guess what I’m trying to say is, thank you for being my friend Alex.”

The usually energetic and excitable girl, upon hearing these words coming from Angelica, simply offered the other girl a soft smile. “No probs. And thank you for opening up, Angie. You probably can’t tell but it makes me pretty happy, it means a lot to me that you trusted me enough to share your burdens with me. So yeah, thanks for… accepting me as your friend, I guess.” The blonde girl expressed before falling silent for a few moments, having run out of words to say.

“...Ah, what the heck.” She said suddenly, quickly closing in on Angelica and pulling her into a hug, something that must’ve been quite awkward for the older girl. “C’mere, you Californian Elsa!” Alexis spoke cheerfully, tightly embracing her friend.

Bentus
Senator

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:41 pm

Yoshiro
San Diego, July 9th

Yoshiro smiled at Alexis, picking up one of the pins and looking at the small device in her hands. The bold letters of the team’s name somehow once again confirming to Yoshiro that this was all really happening.

“These are awesome, Alex! Makes me feel a lot better knowing that we’ll all be looking out for each other out there.” Turning towards Wyatt as the rest of the team moved in to collect one of the gadgets for themselves, Yoshiro responded to his question.

“I won’t be poking around in your thoughts, just connecting everyone together. I’m used to the background noise anyway, but I should be able to regulate everything so that you guys only hear messages that are intentionally sent across the link.” Yoshiro paused for a moment before continuing. “Although really strong and unexpected emotions may get through, and I’ve never actually tried linking so many people together before. But I’m sure that I can do it, if it would help.” She turned to Roy on that last part, deferring the decision to him.

The bar was fairly unobtrusive, tucked down a flight of stairs that sat just next door to a small Thai restaurant. It was a little hole-in-the-wall that attracted a fairly reliable crowd, but on a weekday the bar was understandably sparse. It was far from the fanciest establishment in San Diego, but it had character and the owner had run the place for more than a decade, painstakingly growing the business as a labour of love. For those who lived in the area and knew where to look, it was a welcomed place to sit down and relax outside of the hustle and bustle of big-city life. The dim light was accompanied by a relatively slow-paced piano piece that played in the background. Groups socialised either at the tables that dotted the main room, or sat at the bar itself as they waited for their drinks. Kross had made a habit of visiting the place whenever he was in town. It was discrete enough and out of the way that it was useful for the occasional meeting. Not to mention that they also made a mean Old Fashioned. He sat by himself at the bar, idly sipping at his drink as he casually scanned the crowd. It wasn’t that expected to see anything out of place, but old habits die hard, and it never hurt to be cautious. He spotted a few solo drinkers, a group of men in business shirts clearly having clocked off work late were seated in a booth, while a couple of college kids were becoming increasingly inebriated on the far-side of the bar.

Kross.

Voice spoke directly into his head, and Kross lifted his glass in greeting as the woman sat down at the stool beside him. The bartender seemed to glance uneasily in their direction, the man probably reacting in confusion to suddenly having an order mentally delivered straight into his head.

“Beth, it’s good to see you. How have been holding up?”

Well enough. Solar’s funeral was nice, didn’t have time to stick around. The woman glanced towards the Pandora’s Lock operative as the bartender delivered her White Russian. And you? I thought you were meant to be in Europe. Make any new friends?

“How the hell are you able to make thoughts sound sarcastic? I’ve never quite been able to figure out that trick.” Smirking, Kross took another sip of his whiskey. “The Europeans are being as stubborn as ever, but that’s not my problem. Been keeping myself occupied by following the news from back home, actually. Apparently there’s a new group of heroes on the block that have been causing some waves.”

There was an audible scoff from Voice. One of Naja’s kids paid me a visit earlier. She has no idea what she’s doing.

“Let me guess, the telepath?” Kross laughed. “Oh come on, that couldn’t have come as a surprise. Where else was Naja going to send her? You’re the only telepath hero in the state.”

Sighing, Voice recalled her meeting with Yoshiro. It could have gone better, perhaps. But that girl had needed a wake-up call, all of those kids did. Voice took a long swig of her drink, knowing that she would probably need it for whatever came next. What are you doing in San Diego, Kross? You wouldn’t have asked me to meet you for a courtesy call.

Kross paused for a moment, swirling a mouthful of whiskey before swallowing it. “Alright, down to business then.” Reaching into the pocket of his coat, the Pandora’s Lock agent pulled out a small evidence bag and placed it clearly on the table in front of the telepath. Gesturing towards it, he indicated for Voice to take a closer look. “I wanted to get your opinion on this. SDPD picked it from the Young Bloods’ last encounter. Once someone figured out what it was, we got called in.”

Picking up the bag, Voice narrowed her eyes as she tried to make out its contents. It was a clay sculpture, broken up into a series of fragments. While some were large enough to still have distinguishing features, much of the scarab beetle had been reduced to dust. Looking at the runes that were still visible on the clay shell, Voice’s face adopted a more serious expression as she realised what she was dealing with.

Is this what I think it is?

“Would I have called you if it wasn’t?” Kross nodded towards the evidence bag. “What can you tell me about it?”

Voice looked over the sculpture carefully, probing carefully at it with her mind to see if she got any reaction at all.

It’s called Eris’ Scarab. A telepath – a really powerful, and a very old one – is said to have tried to imbue it with their essence, believing that it was a way of attaining immortality.

In a world of superpowers, aliens and magic, it was hardly the strangest story that Kross had encountered in his line of work. He’d already done his own digging on the Scarab’s backstory, and Voice’s assessment lined up with what he’d found. “Did it work?”

There was a mental laugh inside of Kross’ head, and Voice looked at the agent with an amused smile.

It’s a clay sculpture, how is something like that meant to contain the mind of a human being? No, of course it didn’t work. The telepath believed that they were channelling the power of the Goddess of Chaos and based the idea on hocus-pocus nonsense. But it is still a dangerous item in the wrong hands. Although something tells me that you already know that. Glancing down at the fragmented clay pieces in the bag, Voice continued. You did a real number on it, Kross.

“I wish I could take the compliment; this is all courtesy of the Young Bloods.” That caught Voice by surprise, and she raised an eyebrow as if to ask for details. “Marionette got her hands on it somehow and used it on the Mask. It took over his mind until Yoshiro could get in there and set things in order.” Voice’s expression had changed into a frown, and Kross’ own features had hardened with seriousness. “I need to know, Beth: did she actually do it? Could she? If there’s a chance that Marionette still has some control over one of the Young Bloods, then I have to take him in.” Kross didn’t want to do that, he knew that at the very least Naja would never forgive him, but his hands were tied in the matter.

Voice sat in silence for close to a minute, choosing her words carefully as she continued to observe the Scarab. Eventually she sighed.

It’s dead, Kross. There’s nothing here but clay and dust. I can’t even detect a hint of the Scarab’s essence remaining. Without an anchor in the totem, there’s no way that it could still be influencing the Mask. The mind can act like an immune system, and whatever remnants may have been left in his head wouldn’t be able to survive for long without the Scarab. Voice frowned slightly. Even if the Scarab had only held a shadow of a mind, it was now painfully vacant. It was as if Yoshiro had eviscerated whatever had been there before, utterly eradicating it.

Kross let out a sigh of relief, leaning back in his stool as he did so, a heavy weight finally being relieve fom his shoulders. “That’s good to hear. But how the hell was one of Naja’s kids able to do this?”

She’s strong, Kross. Stronger than I expected.

“Clearly.” Kross chuckled sarcastically. “But then again, we’re both not as young as we used to be. What did you do to scare her off, anyway?”

There was a slight hesitation. Basic training. Forced her to run the gauntlet.

Kross winced as he recalled the infamous mental training regime that all Pandora’s Lock agents were subjected to. It was really more of a mandatory torture program, forcing agents to endure a telepath rummaging through their mind so that they could better resist one in the future. It was a brutal experience, the realisation that even one’s mind is vulnerable in the crazy world in which they lived. Voice had helped out in crafting it, so it made sense that she’d use it. All the same, though. “You don’t think that’s a bit excessive? She’s not exactly going out into a war, you know.”
Voice shot Kross a glare. She may as well be, they all are. But that’s not it. I never finished or stopped the link: she pushed me out herself.

“Huh. Well, shit.” Impressed at this new information, Kross allowed himself a few seconds to process it. Naja seemed to have a certain knack with picking out talent. But why did he have the sneaking suspicion that the more he found out about these kids, the worse of a headache they were going to cause him? Lifting up a hand, Kross called over the bartender. He was going to need another round.

The sink was running as Yoshiro washed her face, trying not to let her nerves get the better of her as she went over the plan once more in her head. Her emotions oscillated between worry and excitement at the prospect of the coming mission. She was eager to get out there once again, to prove herself, but it was impossible to avoid the natural fear that accompanied putting oneself in danger.

Yoshiro looked at herself in the mirror, trying to recognise the girl that was staring back at her. Her costume was fairly form-fitting, but not any more than the style that had become popular among the superhero community. It was all a deep shade of vibrant purple, and the top portion was sleeveless, while gradually narrowing as it approached Yoshiro’s neck. Lined with Kevlar and carbon fibres, Naja had assured her that it was designed to take a pounding despite its outward appearance, and would offer Yoshiro a good degree of protection – but it all still seemed surreal to her. Looking up towards her face, Yoshiro saw herself nervously looking back. She generally liked to allow her hair to hang down, framing her features, but for the mission she had chosen to have it done up firmly in a bun rather than risk having any stray hair getting in her way. Picking up her mask, Yoshiro placed it firmly in place, the thin piece of material – the same colour as the rest of her outfit – framed her eyes.

She stood there for a few more seconds, cracking a smile before turning in front of the mirror to get a better look at herself. It made her feel almost giddy.

“Alright, let’s go be a hero.” She told herself, making her way confidently from her room towards the waiting jet. Even if she still had her doubts, Yoshiro couldn’t afford to allow them to hold her back. The rest of the team were depending on her as much as she was depending on them, and she refused to allow herself to let them down. No matter what.

As Yoshiro closed the door behind her, her room was left in silence. Her reflection lingered in the mirror for a few more moments, watching as she left. Slowly, a sly smile gradually spread across its features as it casually crossed its arms. The movement revealed a small tattoo on the back of its hand, the black ink depicting a simple scarab beetle.

She was going to have a riot of a time with this one.
Last edited by Bentus on Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
Forces active in a warzone.
At peace.
Member of The Galactic Economic and Security Organization

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

How Roleplays Die <= Good read for anyone interested in OPing

New Neros
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 14, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Neros » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:20 pm

Mustafa Gaul | Mayla Carter
Reunion, Part IV

The Rebel Alliances wrote:-Mayla Carter-

It was a bit obvious that the pair were followed to the outskirts of San Diego, Mar keeping close watch on where her comrade ran off to, but she was not aware that Walt Bismarck had managed to locate them all as well. Making a bench to sit on some fair distance away on a hill overlooking their battleground, Mar jumped with surprise as a robotic Walt made a quick 'hello', whipping around at him with a small knife clutched in her hand. "You scared the absolute shit out of me." Mar breathed, the robot throwing it's hands up defensively. "What the hell are you doing here, anyways?"

"You two stopped watching the street corner, and this looked far more interesting than the bullshit job you were doing before." The robot responded, glancing over the hill at Gaul's battle with his master. "Plus, it's always great to gather data on our own allies, that way we know their strengths and weaknesses. And I guess it isn't every day that we run into the one person who could train a martial arts powerhouse like Gaul." As he spoke, Mar muttered something about knowing how they were given a shitty assignment, but she joined him in watching the fight progress. "Oh my," He stated as Gaul landed his very real, and very powerful hits, but stood in astonishment as Mayla revealed an unrestricted state. "I've always wondered about inducing an upgrade like that with my nanomachines..." He whispered, Mar paying him no mind.

"It's odd to see him get his ass beat." Mar bluntly stated, Walt giving her a chuckle.

"His power revolves around getting his ass beat and then getting stronger."

"Yeah, but this is different," She said, "Usually, he's more skilled and can handle his business better, but his mentor is just too good." Mar tucked her chin in a bit, wondering what sort of things she herself could do if trained by Mayla. "I bet I'd be one bad bitch if she gave me lessons."

"Are you saying Nile isn't the best teacher?" Walt replied with a laugh, "Or Gaul, even?"

"Gaul couldn't teach a brick to hit the ground, and Nile is, er, you know how Nile is. He tries to teach but goes off on random rants or tangents and forgets the lesson." Still, the two carried on their conversation with eyes absolutely locked on the battle at hand, watching at how effortlessly Mayla was handling Gaul, even with some damage boost to his physical stats, she was simply untouchable. Throughout their brief exchange of blows following Mayla's unleashed state, Gaul remained silent, meditating on his teachers' words and accusations, but Gaul let out a mighty roar and threw a straight punch, which was effortlessly caught by Mayla, the air shattering apart behind her to no effect as well.

"Don't you think I know that?" He finally stated, yanking back his arm and resuming his combat stance, Mayla turning an ear up to him as he made his reply. "Don't you think I wanted to be a hero but knew that I couldn't be one? You know who I am, teacher, I refuse to settle, I do not compromise, there is no weakness in my heart, my convictions stand firm. A hero..." He said, trailing off a bit, "A hero is a being who will put everyone else before themselves. If I can't even put aside my stubbornness to serve the greater good, than what better am I than the celebrity heroes I despise so much? Nothing but a fake life with a constant lie to myself!" He screamed, ignoring whatever pain ran through his body as he charged once more at his sensei.

A determined glare took hold of Mayla as Gaul made his position known. He calls himself a villain only because he can't even imagine himself as a hero, if only he could turn such powerful willpower into a force for good and not his own self-fulfilling prophecy. Still, he was too far gone, and she needed to end this, now. "You have no idea how much this hurts me." She said softly, "It's like watching someone throw away a diamond just because it has a blemish. We've all made mistakes, Gaul, but I am sad to say that you are my mistake." With inhuman speed, she appeared before Gaul, her fist lodged in his chest deep, the sands behind Mayla blowing away as she stood still for a moment more. "And I'm going to make it right."

Gaul's body flew back with enough force to break walls, his chest fractured and damaged to hell and back with one strike alone. Mayla knew that she once she unleashed this amount of punishment, she couldn't turn back, or he would only grow stronger. She also couldn't let him have a chance to rest, and abruptly pursued her former student. Mayla caught up with Gaul before he even stopped flying backwards, and delivered a jaw-breaking uppercut that sent him high in the sky, blowing away the sand around them. She flew up to meet him once more, wiping a tear from her eye as she grit her teeth.

Mirage | AWOL
The Nightraven Dances

Charmera wrote:-Nightraven-

AWOL knew his eyes hadn't deceived him, but what happened pissed him off all the more. "She can teleport, too." He said matter-of-factly, feeling the quill stab into his metallic hand as Nightraven tried to get him to turn his weapon loose, but his death grip on the blade refused to let go, and now he couldn't with his hand basically pinned closed. "That is just gre-wargflfl" He was interrupted by the sudden assault with paper, which latched onto his frame and refused to move even a milimeter, causing him to take a step back. "Paper too! What a gifted little bitch." He thought, feeling his arms pin to his sides, at which, he decided it best to teleport away to save himself from complete mummification.

With AWOL effectively out of commission for a while, Mirage was quick to ambush the Nightraven as she poured papers out of her hands. He phased himself through the leaflets and attacked her head on, giving her a solid punch to the helmet, and stepping in closer to keep her off-balance as he threw his hands up in a fighting stance. He pressed on slowly and moved in a half-circle to her left, his eyes focused on her head and it's slight motions. The girl was no slouch, however, as Nile was quick to find her hand-to-hand responses more than enough to keep him guessing.

Phasing through a punch and mid-kick, Nile gave the vigilante a goofy grin as he grabbed her leg with it still phased through his torso. He yanked her toward himself rapidly, throwing his head against her helmet, but recoiled quickly and stumbled back. A red spot with a trickle of blood cut it's way down Nile's forehead, avoiding his eye as he severely underestimated the toughness of her headgear. "Now that I did that," He reported, putting his hands back up as Nightraven approached, "I hope you don't think I'm lame or stupid."
Last edited by New Neros on Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Looking for a good time? Horizon Academy is the place to be! | Do Forum Mods dream of sexual DEAT?
Reploid Productions wrote:I have had to read a lot of erotic RP telegrams in the past four months and it does all start to run together into one giant mass of penises, vaginas, breasts, tentacles, dildos, bodily fluids and so on.

New Finnish Republic
Minister

Founded: Mar 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Finnish Republic » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:49 pm

Red

Red nodded in agreement with Roy's proposal on splitting the team up. Given their current numbers, having separate teams working in cohesion on different goals was the best plan of action, even if it meant that once things hit the fan that there'd be less of them immediately available. I suppose that's what these trackers are for. Well, that and reminding everyone not to be like me, Red begrudgingly thought as he played with the devices in his hands. It was clear that while the team had more or less welcomed him back with open arms, neither were they happy with what he had done. It would be quite some time before he'd earn their trust back, and he didn't blame them for it in the least.

As the meeting concluded, he made his way over to Mars.

"I'll have a bag of goodies waiting for you when we meet up at the jet. Non-lethal, of course. Although one can certainly debate the logic of killing the undead, of course."

He gave a small smile to Mars, hoping his dry humor wouldn't be taken the wrong way. Given everything that had happened, however, Red couldn't help but scold himself for saying it as he made his way up to his room to gear up. I'm walking on thin ice still, I need to start acting like it, he thought to himself as he unlocked the wall space which held his equipment with a simple hand scan. Given the simplicity to his costume, if one could call it that, it took him only a few moments to change. Absent from his usual attire, however, was the sight of a pair of sidearms being carried in holsters. He had given up on using them after he left them behind at that cathedral, a sign to not only the rest of the Young Bloods but to himself that his past life of shooting first and asking questions later was over, even if it meant his job would be getting a lot harder.

To compensate for their absence, Red loaded up on more gadgets than he usually carried. In addition, he now wielded a weapon that he previously had scarcely used but still maintained the affectionate title of "Boomstick" to. It was a mechanical staff, capable of retracting and expanding with the press of a button. On one end of the staff was a small explosive charge, strong enough to put on the hurt to any large opponent who didn't go down with a simple swing. It also had the capability of dethatching into a pair of batons, electrical shocks similar to a taser available for use when needed. While the thought of others seeing the similarity between his weapon of choice and his former rivals made him a bit hesitant to use it, he reasoned that it had enough variety to hold off the potential comments.

After carefully loading up the flashbang devices he had promised to give to Mars in a small metal case, he headed out to where the rest of the team was assembled. He gave a few nods to the other members, but otherwise said nothing besides the operating instructions of the flashbang devices to Mars. All he needed to do was place them on either a window or across an opening and a barrage of flashbangs would be shot out. Their timers could be set to go off at certain distances, allowing proper deployment once the locations of the vampires was determined.

After a short ride in the jet, the various teams got out into the streets. The infiltration team, which included Red, quickly made their way to where the building was. Given infiltration and intelligence gathering was something he was more than accustomed to, he kept in front of the others, listening for the slightest of sounds and watching for the feintest of movement. It didn't take long for him to notice a pair of what appeared to be guards standing watch over a backdoor that no doubt led to the rest of the building. While he had confidence that he could deal with them himself, he knew that even if he was successful he'd draw the ire of the others for acting on his own. So with a bit of reluctance, he decided to report into the others.

Placing a finger to his headset, he called out to the other members about what he saw.

"Mask to A-Team, we've got a pair of guards watching the back entrance here. How are we wanting to approach this? Over."

Brianna

Brianna, for a better lack of terms, was sore as shit. While her powers were already in effect, slowly healing the damage that had been caused over the course of the day, it would be quite some time before she was ready to jump into action once more. Still, that hadn't stopped her from helping Nick and the rest of their team move things into their new base of operations. She was surprised at just how much equipment their small group could possess, but being on friendly terms with an arms dealer apparently had its benefits.

Alexis was quick to summon a meeting of their group, and what she had to say was surprsing to say the least, if not a bit exciting. While Brianna had fought off crime lords in the past, she had never even dreamed of doing something as grand as what Alexis had proposed. It was sure to be a gruely, bloody, and drawn out process, but Brianna was no stranger to such things. She had seen good men slaughter each other by the thousands before, and thus removing an entire city's worth of criminals was something she didn't even blink at.

Still, she had her concerns.

"I, for one, will join you in this endeavor. However, there are two matters I want settled before we attempt to do what you have set out. First, numbers."

She pointed at the four of them.

"While I am not afraid to charge against a horde of enemies even on my own, it would be foolish to think that we can mount any sort of serious offensive against these gangs even if each of us are talented in our own regards. We need more shields, if I may use my own terminology here, or else the enemy will simply surround us."

She paused, unsure of how to word her next words.

"Second, we have to be careful about how we go about this. While I have no issue with slaughtering these criminals by the dozens, I doubt we will be able to keep the fighting in battlefields devoid of innocents. War is a brutal thing, but if we are not careful in our actions and end up becoming seen as villains due to our negligence, we may very well have worse enemies than mere gangs to contend with. When we strike, we must have a clear target in each of our attacks or else our efforts will be for naught."
Known mostly as Finn, but also known as a few other things I can't put in a signature by those who know me.

American who got left too long in the sauna.

Proud to spread Spurdo Nationalism from sea to shining sea.

Zarkenis Ultima
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Zarkenis Ultima » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:04 am

Finland SSR wrote:---

Relaxation. Something that every human being (along with some animals and, as humanity had recently found out, aliens) needed every once in a while, even those who had made a habit of dressing up in black to patrol the streets and beat the snot out of criminals when the sun went down. After a long night of fighting vampires alongside his perceived enemies, stressing out over waking up in an unknown place, and baring his heart to a stranger, the vigilante known as Blackout was particularly in need of some relaxation. Thus, after a morning of intense exercise and an afternoon of reading for leisure, on the evening of the ninth of July the young man found himself in the house of an old friend, sitting in front of a laptop, a black-haired girl across the table from him.

However, rather than relaxing, Icarus was furiously clicking and pressing buttons on his laptop, a scowl on his face. After a few moments, he simply gave up and let go of the mouse, leaning back and sinking into his seat.

"Aaand I'm dead." The blond boy stated, clearly displeased with this fact. Across from the table, the girl didn't even look up.

"Again?" She said as she raised an eyebrow, clearly paying enough attention to him to hear what he said despite her apparent single-minded focus on the game. "You really are terrible at this, aren't you, mon ami?" The girl told him, causing his scowl to become more pronounced.

"Shut up, Tri. You know I barely play this game, so it's not like I get a lot of practice." He said in his defence, only to receive a shrug in response.

"Yes, I'm well aware. That's the reason you suck. It's an explanation, you know? Not a counterargument or an excuse." Astrid stated, hardly deterred by the boy's rude response. After all, she was quite used to his behavior by now.

Not that this made Icarus feel any less annoyed, but before he had another opportunity to express his discontent, the screen in front of him flashed, and the voice of the game's narrator informed him that his faction had won the game. Suprised, the boy blinked a couple of times. "How the hell did we win that?" He said softly.

"We didn't win the match. I won the match." The girl clarified, prompting Icarus to roll his eyes. "Your death made them feel pretty confident about their odds going up against a single opponent, though, so I have that to thank you for, even though I know it was hardly intentional." She said, finally looking up just as the boy across the table stood up and moved towards the door.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Don't start the next one yet, I'm going to grab another soda." He said.

Before he could make it to the door, however, something in his pocket began trembling, and a sound filled the air of the room, a sound that neither of them had heard in a very long time. After being at a loss for a moment, the boy slowly fished his phone out of his pocket, looking at the number and noticing that it wasn't one he had saved up, nor one he could recognize. He and Astrid looked at each other in confusion for several moments.

"That's... not monsieur Weaboo calling you, is it?" She asked, referring to another one of Icarus' scarce friends, watching the boy simply shake his head in response, a thin smile forming on her face afterward. "Well, someone else is calling you, then. Did Christmas come early this year, or is it a new telemarketing ploy?" She asked, clearly intent on teasing him.

"...You're such a handful. Just be quiet, will you?" Icarus told her, before picking up the call and putting the phone to his ear. "Hello?" He spoke, his voice clearly recognizable as Blackout's, despite his current tone being a lot softer than the vigilante's. No sooner than the caller had spoken, Icarus remembered all of the events of the previous night, the caller's voice reminding him of it even before he had processed her words. He quickly cleared his throat as he listened to the heroine's request, trying to make his voice sound harsher, as it usually did when he wasn't at ease and on duty. "Yes, of course. I'll be right over." He said, the call ending shortly afterwards.

"You put a lot of effort into sounding cool there. Who was it that called? A potential girlfriend, perhaps? You could certainly use one." Astrid spoke once the call was over, a clearly amused expression on her face.

"That's none of your business!" The boy said defensively, using the exact same words he had said to an old doctor the previous night. Hastily, he shoved all of his belongings that were present on Astrid's room into a backpack, slinging it over his shoulder once he was done and making way for the door. Before leavng, however, he paused, and turned back towards the girl after a moment. "You wouldn't happen to know where 'San Pharmaceuticals' is, would you?" He asked.

Adopting a thoughtful expression for a few moments, Astrid held out her hand, and as if he understood what she was trying to convey, Icarus handed her his phone. With a few quick taps and some rapid typing, the girl used Google Maps to find out the building Icarus was talking about, handing the phone back to him and showing him its exact location and various other place he could use as a reference.

"Good luck on your date!" She said, causing him to scoff. "Oh, and be careful out there." She added afterwards, her expression turning serious as she pointed at her cheek to better convey what she was talking about. "I don't want to be the only problem child in the neighborhood." She stated. In response, Icarus simply chuckled, lightly touching the bandage that now covered up the scar from his battle with Armorer.

"Don't worry, I'm not easy to get rid of."

Responding to an emergency call when you are out of costume isn't exactly a simple matter, more so if you aren't even in the same building as your working uniform. Still, Blackout was nothing if not committed, and he had given his word that he would help out Renata and that he would arrive uickly, so, in the span of just a few minutes, the vigilante was already out on the streets, attempting to find his way to the designated meeting spot. Of course, the fact that his house was fairly close to Astrid's helped out a lot, as did the fact that he hadn't even bothered to put away his costume last night, tired as he had been from the events that had transpired. A dangerous thing to do, if one considers that he didn't live alone, but in the end nothing bad had come from it.

Adjusting his sloppily put-on mask after nimbly scaling up the side of a building, the young man surveyed his surroundings and then began making his way to El Cajon Boulevard, running as quickly as his enhanced physical ability would take him and leaping from rooftop to rooftop in standard vigilante and/or parkour enthusiast fashion. The color of his clothes was good for stealth, even if the color of his hair wasn't, and under the cover of the night he was able to move through the city's skyline practically unseen. It didn't take him very long to reach the boulevard thanks to the fact that he could easily ignore traffic, and from there, it was only a matter of spotting one of the reference buildings Astrid had shown him and using it to ascertain San Pharmaceutical's location before moving there.

Dearly hoping that the girl wouldn't be annoyed that he hadn't arrived as quickly as he'd hoped, Icarus dropped down from a rooftop, landing next to Renata. "I'm here, Stella. Sorry if I took too long, your call took me by surprise." He said. The fact that she was still there waiting for him instead of having gone elsewhere and potentially tackling whatever trouble she had found on her own already made him feel better, but he still hoped she wouldn't mind the delay, especially after he had been the one to volunteer to help her out if she needed his help again.

Glancing around to acquaint himself better with his surroundings, the vigilante spotted a cluster of people nearby, all of them closely together. They appeared to be near something, though its stealth technology made it difficult to make out, and he quickly recognized some of them as members of the Young Bloods. "Great. I'm going to be working with them again?" He wondered, not entirely pleased.
Hello! I'm your friendly neighborhood roleplayer cat. If you need any help, send me a TG and I'll see what I can do!
P2TM Community Discussion Thread

Indo-pasif archipelago
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 12, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Indo-pasif archipelago » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:13 am

Amir Zairi
"Thanks Alexis. I'm sure this will help a lot." I took one of the pin and kept in my pouch for later. I also took the earpiece and pop it in my ears. "Alright. Meet you guys in fifteen minutes."

I ran towards the workshop and took my toolset. Putting up my jacket on, I pinned the YB logo on my right chest and drew four stones with runes and a small antenna attached to it. I poured the Blood drug into a plastic container and with my hands I smeared it on top of the runestones. I would give these to Wyatt and with luck it could tell us about the positions of them Vampires.

After my little preparations were ready, I put on my glasses and brought my gauntlets with me. I hadn't got the chance to use it on an actual on the street situation, but I spent quite some hours using it back in the training island and I felt confident enough to use it. They help me cutting some hours on casting runes although I would be limited on what runes I prepared for it. For the mission I readied a small explosion spell, a shield conjuration spell, and a simple telekinetic spell. The last one won't put me anywhere near Yoshi's level of control nor power, but if anyone needs to push a car or punched an undead away I would be able to help. Any other spells I might need could be casted on site with the strings and chalks.

I arrived just under fifteen minutes after we ended the briefing and sat myself on the seat closest to the jet plane door. The ride was quite a silent one, and it seemed everyone was busy to prepare themselves. I spent the time tinkering with my own tablet, not the one from Alexis since I need it to be able to send and receive arcane signals. I only had the rough outline of the building I got from online satellite maps, but as the team feed us more Intel I would update the map accordingly. It also covered a two blocks radius surrounding Sans Pharmaceutical, in case a sneaky camp or two got out of the building.

After the jet had landed, I went to Wyatt and gave him the runestones along with the instructions on where to put it. Three of them should be put on the first floor on any three different locations inside the building, and one should either be put on the rooftop or brought along with them. Once that was done, I walked around the building and drew a large sigil, with the pharmaceutical as the focal point. I hurried afterward to join the rest of the Crew C.

"Alright guys, I got everything set up. Now we just need to wait for the A Team." I idly checked my tablet. There shouldn't be anything yet, as Wyatt had just only entered the building and all of us had stayed inside the threshold. Curiously, the tab said someone, or rather, two people had breached the perimeter. It could be just a pair of jogger running past by, but I should give the team some heads up anyway. "Guys, this is Amir here. Just noticed two unknowns approaching the building. Could be just some citizens walking by, but be careful. Amir over."
I picked the Anarchist Hog

The Republic of Atria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 12, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Republic of Atria » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:26 am

Wyatt sat quietly as the other members of the team discussed their plans of action and he heard Amir mention that he'd give him the runes before he left for his mission. Everyone seemed to be focused ever so slightly on Red more than usual. It made sense given his recent escapades, but it also finally made him fully relax the thoughts they were annoyed with him. Hopefully he'd get the chance to prove himself on this mission. Just as he was about to bring up the issue of communication, Alexis stepped in bearing communication devices and... Pin in the shape of the letters YB, that apparently tracked their position. He did appreciate his privacy, and he wasn't sure how smart it was to be running around broadcasting who he was.

Still, the whole being able to find him if he somehow gets kidnapped or something part made sense and he put the pin in his pocket for safe keeping. He grabbed a communicator, clearly designed for human ears, so he took a moment to cover himself with his glamour and affixed the communicator to his ear. Unfortunately, he couldn't use his powers while it was up, so he'd have to rely on his team until there was a need for him. "These are really cool Alexis, thanks!" He spoke. Maybe the pin would be less conspicuous if and when they became more mainstream, if they were sold and were popular enough then wearing it wouldn't be that out of the ordinary. His team was supposed to be the first one to move out, so he rapidly tried to mentally prepare himself for doing something that was technically illegal as they started.

How many crimes were they up to? Trespassing, breaking and entering, and as soon as Red mentioned there were some guards that needed to be taken care of, assault and battery. If this went off the rails, it could screw a lot of things up. He silently prayed to anyone who would listen that the information Naja got was accurate.

How did they intend to take out the guards? Obviously knocking them out was the first and easiest choice, and he even spotted Red moving in, but Wyatt noticed his hesitation. He probably wasn't too keen on having a repeat of the last time he went off alone, nor wanting a scolding from Naja. "Don't start beating their faces in yet, we don't know if they're any cameras around. We get seen this close and this'll all be for nothing." He spoke over the communicator. "Here's my plan, Wendy, make sure there's no cameras first, and if there are, disable them or make them play a loop or something. Red, Casamir. Once Wendy's confirmed that we're clear, knock them out. Any objections?"

He didn't have much to offer the team without his powers, so he had to make due with his wits for awhile.

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Founded: May 17, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:51 am

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Icarus

Renata Martínez, the heroic Stella!

Oh thank goodness, Blackout said yes. For a few seconds, Renata was worried a little bit that he was about to turn down the offer, what with him suddenly clearing out his throat and all. But no, that was seemingly just to get his voice into its normal, as in Blackout's, timbre, and the vigilante informed her that he'll be right over.

"I'll be waiting!" Renata repeated her initial statement, and the call ended. With the phone back in its secure place, in one of the suit's few pockets, the heroine leaned on one of the walls in the alleyway and began to wait, her attention soon getting distracted by a few shadows flickering across the El Cajon Boulevard. She couldn't make out any faces, again, as they were moving too fast for her eyes to catch any, but a hypothesis soon popped up in her head. That's the Young Bloods moving forward, isn't it? Seemed like it - and, much to her surprise, the squad of about a few figures stopped next to 'San Pharmaceuticals', the same company she had just used to help Blackout with navigation. What a coincidence...

If that's where the Blood operation is hiding and that company name is just a show, then that would explain that this place looks a little... suspicious.

It's anecdotal and likely a little dumb piece of evidence, sure, but pharma companies in America were usually wealthy enough to be able to replace the sign above their headquarters, weren't they? It's not like Ecuador, where the pharmaceutical industry ended up nationalized after the Andean Condors unveiled a whole slew of shady and oligarchic activities among their nation's drug manufacturers. Everything was private here.

Renata snickered a little at the thought. "Evidence" like this is what leads heroes to blunders. However, with the Young Bloods targeting that building, it was very likely that it was the headquarters of the Blood drug operation.

The heroine didn't get to spend much more time thinking, as Blackout soon landed in front of her after dropping down from the same rooftop she had leapt down a few minutes ago, immediately starting to apologize for taking too long. What's there to apologize for? He's right on time!

"Don't worry about it, Blackout - I said I'll wait for you and I meant it," Stella gave a swift response and smiled, then turned towards the empty boulevard outside of the alleyway. Interesting - there have been no signs of breaking glass, fighting or anything resembling superpower usage yet, even though it had been a while since the Young Bloods arrived. It was all dead quiet, the loudest sound in the vicinity being the frequent flickering of nearby street lights. Maybe they were taking a more stealthy approach this time? Makes sense - even a large team like theirs would probably struggle against the large number of vampires likely present down there.

"I'm not a hundred percent sure on this, but I have reason to believe that building in front of us is where that Blood drug cartel operates from," Renata spoke, with her eyes focused on San Pharmaceuticals. She took her focus off the building soon, however, noticing that Blackout's gaze was fixated on something else - none other than the camouflaged jet and the group of people Renata believed to be the Young Bloods. He definitely can tell who they are, that should be obvious. And that did not bode good news. After all, she was lucky to not witness an outright brawl between Blackout and Roy yesterday - that luck is finite.

"As far as I can tell, the Young Bloods are taking a stealthier approach, so we have the window of opportunity to solve this mission before they can interfere. It might be risky, but... I'm sure you don't want to run into them again."
Last edited by Finland SSR on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have a severe case of addiction to writing. At least 3k words every day is my fix.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:00 pm

Sam Croft/Blizzard
July 9th
Wonder Island, San Diego

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:
[Alexis said] "If you're good at disguise I think you could help out more in the first group. I'm sure Wyatt's glamour will work well enough to make him look like he works there, but he could probably use the assistance of someone who actually knows how to play the part."

Sam nodded and started to say "Can do, and--", but stopped to follow Alexis with his eyes. He tried to avoid staring at her, but there was something unusual about her thermal signature. He blinked and forced himself to look at what she was presenting; no need to be rude to the people he was going to work with.

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:"Should help us talk to each other far more smoothly over large distances, plus it's hooked up to my computer in case we need to check audio logs or anything of the sort later. [...] Now these here are trackers of sorts, [...and...] It can also keep track of our vitals and whatnot, and you can flip it open and press a button to send an emergency call if you're in trouble, so we'll always know when one of us needs help."

The girl then looked at Sam for a moment. "I made a few extra ones of both, so you can have a pair if you want, Mr. Blizzard, though that's assuming you don't mind wearing the logo of a group of teens during the raid."

Sam examined one of the pins before looking up at her. "Not at all. These are good work. Perhaps there are other ways we can work together." He raised the pin in admiration; for a teenager, she was surprisingly capable.

Fifteen minutes isn't a lot of time to get ready for a disguise job, but if I hit all the lights, it might just do. Sam hopped back into his rental van, put the break-away disguise back on over his uniform, swapped his blue contacts for dark brown ones, and switched back to the thin latex mask that went with the disguise. Other than his voice (and Alexis' tracker, of course) he wasn't recognizable.

Hitting all the traffic lights was no problem for a super on a mission, and Sam returned Wonder Island with a bundle full of supplies from a couple of nearby stores: a few wigs, mirror shades, some makeup, a few sets of sweat clothes, and a big wad of cash from an advance on his credit card. He explained his plan to Wyatt: "Janitors make minimum wage. I'll bet if I offer them a few hundred to say they were mugged, we can get their uniforms without revealing who we are."

San Pharma Raid

New Finnish Republic wrote:Placing a finger to his headset, [Red] called out to the other members about what he saw. "Mask to A-Team, we've got a pair of guards watching the back entrance here. How are we wanting to approach this? Over."

The Republic of Atria wrote:[Wyatt] spoke over the communicator. "Here's my plan, Wendy, make sure there's no cameras first, and if there are, disable them or make them play a loop or something. Red, Casamir. Once Wendy's confirmed that we're clear, knock them out. Any objections?"

Sam keyed his mic. "Blizzard here. I could freeze them in place, but we'd still need a way of keeping them neutralized for the whole mission. If we can knock them out without messing up their uniforms, we're golden. Guards are easier to play than janitors, and they may have keys or IDs that unlock a lot of doors." After a moment, he realized what he was doing. "And we might get their radios, too."
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:50 pm

Wendy bit her lip as Roy told the others about the groups, especially since she was going in with the first group. There was a sound reason behind it, especially given both her tech based power and former career as a thief, but Wendy worried she would be little more than dead weight if they ran into trouble inside the building. This was especially going to be the case if the vampires had an advanced security system like she feared.

Before she could voice her concerns though Naja walked into the room with a new member, Alexis following right behind with a box full of gadgets. As Roy dismissed everyone, Wendy grabbed a tracker and comm link before heading back to the room. Uncertainty clouded her thoughts as she realized just how over her head she still was. In fact she didn’t even have a outfit anymore after her coat had been ruined by her blood the night before…

Wendy gasped when she saw what was sitting on her bed. Draped over it was a royal blue coat with light blue accents, with a matching pair of pants underneath. Trying the pants on, she found to be a perfect fit for her. Throwing the coat over the t-shirt she was wearing and zipping it up, wendy found it to be perfect. The garment hugged her body without feeling like it was showing anything off, feeling better than her old coat. The fabric was firm yet not too rigid as to prevent her from moving, likely that kevlar- carbon fiber armor Naja had been trying to get her to wear since they had formed. Even the hood offered some protection for her head rather than just being a way hide her identity. The coat even came complete with a facemask sewn onto it, the Eye of Providence emblazoned on it. Sitting next to where the new uniform had been was a handwritten note from Naja.

“A new look for a new beginning.” She read, a smile breaking out behind her mask. Wendy knew this outfit must have cost hundreds, if not thousands of dollars to make, and the fact her mentor had commissioned it for her was not lost on Wendy.

Making her way to the hanger she arrived before most of the others, seeing only Roy, Frostbite, and Mars there. “How do I look?” She asked with an rather uncharacteristic smile on her face as she threw the hood back off her head.

“Sweet costume Wendy!” Mars shouted.

“About time you stopped wearing hand me downs.” Frostbite deadpanned, though a slight smirk appeared on her face.

Roy though, stood speechless as he looked her over. “I see Edna is still as good as ever.” He finally said. “ You look great Wendy.”

“Thanks, Naja had it made for me.”

Slowly more and more of her teammates filed into the hanger and the team left. After a short flight into the city, the group landed, wendy’s team exiting the helicopter to begin the mission. As she approached the ramp, she turned towards Roy. Lowering her face mask she darted over to him, pulled his mask, and gave him a quick kiss on the lips. “Good luck.” She said, her cheeks more than a little rosie as her brain caught up to what she had just done. Leaving her boyfriend standing there, she made her way with Red and the others.
---
“That a great plan guys.” She told the others as they worked to take out the two guards in front of them. “But there’s one small problem. If these vampires are a competent as Park keeps saying they are, that buildings security system is going to take all my focus just to hide our presence. I’m not going to be able to talk to you once I hack that system, I won’t even be able to leave it until you can get my body into the control room. So whatever you’re planning on doing me a sixty count after you see me faint… And can someone please catch me before my face hits the ground.”

Taking a deep breath she focused on the camera watching the two guards before the world went black. Reawakening she saw the systems firewall before her, glowing with anger as it blocked her path. Knowing she only had seconds before red and the others began their assault, she took a deep breath as her eyes scanned the wall of code for a weakness. Finally she spotted a crack in it, a rift she could force open and slip through, closing it behind her before the system knew she was there. Quickly pulling up the camera feed she stuck it on a loop just as the others began their attack.

Tomia
Post Marshal

New York Times Democracy

Postby Tomia » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:16 pm

Roy
While Roy was waiting in the jet, listening to Squad A's discussion of their plan, he noted Amir's comment about the two figures approaching the building. Roy doubted it was coincidence. It was late in the day, and the building was lacking any real foot traffic in and out.

"I'm going to check it out." He told them team. Mars looked concerned and spoke up,

"Roy I don't think that's a good idea. You might blow our cover before we have a way inside."

"I don't care Mars, we need to check this out." Roy said, having a sinking suspicion about who exactly it was that was outside. He made his way out of the jet without another word, doing his best to look non nonchalant, though that was hard considering his outfit and the fact that he was exiting an invisible plane. He used the nearby shade to temporarily disappear from sight, jumping between shadows until eventually he closed in on the people Amir had been referring to.

Can't these two just stay out of our way? Nightshade asked himself as he saw Renata and Blackout standing nearby. Roy passed through his last shadow and landed in front of them.

"What are you two doing here?" He asked though it was mostly rhetorical. Obviously they had somehow discovered the location of the blood drug headquarters as the YB had, but that didn't mean Roy was any less annoyed by their presence. "I appreciate you two trying to help. But the Young Bloods have a plan, we've got this. We don't need your help this time around so you should leave, go help someone else in the city." Roy doubted they would listen, the two of them were more stubborn than Red and Frost Bite combined. Still, he at least needed to keep their attention for a bit, so they didn't run in and put his teammate in danger.

Absolon-7
Diplomat

Founded: May 11, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Absolon-7 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:14 pm

Casimir Herman/ Kabuto
It seemed that the operation was due to be commenced with the final few of his teammates adding their own bits to the plan. Although the addition that peaked his interest was Alexis' contribution to the cause with her custom gadgets for the team. They all seemed useful but the new communicators made him frown in annoyance. It would be so uncomfortable to wear with his helmet as it always pressed firmly at his ears and having something in them just wouldn't make his day. Nevertheless, its was a minor complain so he'd have to get over it.

"These look awesome, Alexis! Must have been hard making this many of them," said Casimir reaching over to get his own tracker and communicator. He placed them in his belt pockets so he could put them on on the ride to the vampire HQ.

The ride itself passed by like a breeze and the moment the plane landed Casimir had sent a signal to nearby insects to head over to the building the vampires were. He needed to get them there early as interpreting what they saw took a bit longer than simply commanding them to move or act. It wasn't a substantial amount of time but it wasn't instantaneous either although since he first got his powers he had gotten better at it. There was a substantial amount of cockroaches and flies although he would have preferred more offensive oriented insects such as wasps and horse flies but they would have to do the job.

"Aye aye, captain!" Asserted an overly enthusiastic Casimir. Squad A swiftly exited the plane and formed the vanguard of the operation. The first hurdle came when Red noticed two guards at the backdoor notifying the squad over the communicators. Wyatt chimed in next with a warning about security cameras and how it would be Wendy's job to deal with them. That freelance hero chimed in next with an additional idea for freezing them and taking their stuff.

"Got it. Gotta wait for Wendy then we pounce and pillage. Over." Agreed Casimir over the communicator. He got into position to sprint over to the guards as soon as the signal was sent. Images from the insects inside were already appearing in his head although it was mostly lights and dark. A minute or two more and he'd start receiving more detailed images. A lot of the local insects were also making their way inside the building, placing themselves strategically where they'd be useful. As the seconds ticked by Casimir focused in on his chosen target crouching into position. Once Wendy gave the signal that she hacked the cameras, Casimir ran at an inhuman speed at one the guards and swung his fist perpendicular at the guard's chin. With that single blow the guard was knocked to the ground unconscious and twitching.
Last edited by Absolon-7 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:13 am

Tomia wrote:Roy

Would you look at that?

Almost immediately after Renata made a comment about them not wanting to run into the Young Bloods in this mission... they run into the Young Bloods. Or, more specifically, the Young Bloods ran into them, in the form of an annoyed Roy suddenly emerging from the shadows in front of them. Oh, and it just had to be Roy, the worst option possible for solving this diplomatically...

The dark Young Blood swiftly began to speak, and his speech could be summed up in one simple statement - you two, turn around and leave. This is their mission and they need no help. Renata blinked a few times, initially unsure how to respond - should she treat this as a request or as a threat? - but her expression soon changed, to an angry frown, and she stepped forward.

"What?!" she exclaimed. "You can't just claim a drug cartel as only yours to destroy, R-Nightshade! This isn't a children's playground where you can claim which toy is yours! It's all of our problem!"

Of course, in her mind, being a dutiful citizen and a hero wasn't the only reason for her choice to interfere. She can't just let the Young Bloods hog all the fame again! Especially when she and Blackout have such a great chance to solve this Blood drug once and for all...
I have a severe case of addiction to writing. At least 3k words every day is my fix.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Zarkenis Ultima
Post Czar

Democratic Socialists

Postby Zarkenis Ultima » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:05 am

Tomia wrote:---

Noticing that Renata offered him an understanding response and a smile instead of being mad at him for his potential tardiness, Blackout replied to the gesture with a nod, happy to know he hadn't failed to meet any expectations so far. A small smile formed beneath the black cloth mask that covered the lower part of his face, though naturally this wasn't something the heroine could perceive.

Hearing out about the girl's findings, he too turned to look at the San Pharmaceuticals headquarters, seeing the multi-story building standing tall in the center of San Diego, its bright lights contrasting with the dark of the night in the background. To his untrained eyes, it seemed unassuming enough, but then, that could very well be because the vampires wanted to keep it that way, which would fit with what the heroine had told him.

Shortly after she shared her discovery with him, Stella made a comment about the Young Bloods, which caused him to frown beneath the mask. He reasoned that she must have seen him looking at all the figures standing around the cloaked jet, and upon hearing her words, he was inclined to agree with her that it would be best if they avoided meeting with the Young Bloods again. Not only did he prefer to avoid another confrontation with Nightshade and company, he also didn't want to potentially run across Casimir, especially if they were on opposing sides. Plus, she seemed to favor that option herself.

Before he could express his opinion, however, Icarus witnessed as Nightshade suddenly appeared in front of them, rudely asking what they were doing there and essentially shooing them, telling them to go elsewhere and do something else while he and the rest of his Young Bloods seized the glory of taking down the Blood cartel. Now, the vigilante wasn't nearly as interested in fame and recognition as Renata was, but that didn't mean he was inclined to comply with Roy's orders in the slightest, not when Blood continued to circulate in the city and he could do something to help stop it. Not to mention he didn't like either Nightshade or taking orders, which meant he was practically predisposed to refuse.

But, as it turned out, Renata beat him to the punch, angrily exclaiming that Roy couldn't just lay claim to the vampires, as if only he and his team were entitled to take them on. Naturally, despite being ignorant of the girl's ulterior motives, Blackout agreed wholeheartedly with that assertion, but more than that, he was surprised at how explosively the girl had reacted. Opting to try and be the diplomatic one this time, he placed a hand on the girl's shoulder as if to try to soothe her anger.

"Stella, calm down. I said I'd abide by your rules today, and I doubt they allow fighting with other heroes, so try to do the same." He told the pink-haired heroine, before looking at Roy, a noticeable scowl appearing on his face as he took a few steps forward to stand between him and Renata. "That said, she does have a point, Nightshade. You have no right to tell us to leave this place without doing anything, not when that... that garbage is still out there, ruining lives. I vowed to fight to protect the people of this city, and I'm gonna do it with or without your permission or anyone else's." He spoke, growing passionate towards the end of his statement, though he did his best to remain cool-headed enough not to mess something up.

After his brief speech, he turned to Renata, giving her a meaningful look and a nod, as if to let her know that he fully supported her.
Hello! I'm your friendly neighborhood roleplayer cat. If you need any help, send me a TG and I'll see what I can do!

Anxiety Cafe
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2007
Father Knows Best State

Postby Anxiety Cafe » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Wonder Island

Despite Nathan's mission-starved state, he found the meeting rather boring, daydreaming until he got assigned to Squad B. It seemed like a good enough team, and it gave Nathan another chance to take down a fire user, as long as Carter didn't try to hog the glory first. He felt a little guilty having to work with Alexis, Frost Bite, and Yoshiro after he had spied on them, but he certainly couldn't tell them, especially since he had been proven wrong.

Carter, however, seemed intent on subduing the fire user, but Nathan refused to be shown up by him again. Before he had a chance to explain that he could just take the energy from the fire if he got close enough, though, they were all herded onto the jet, grabbing pins and communicators, which, no offense to Yoshi, he trusted a little more in terms of reliability. After all, if Yoshi got knocked out, they would have no way to communicate between teams, and the whole mission could turn into a disaster.

Sitting next to his squad on the jet, Nathan finally got the opportunity to bring up his idea. "So, once we find this pyromancer, I figure I can just take the energy from his fires once I'm close enough. I could probably sneak around his back while you guys fight him off? If it fails, we can still use Carter's idea as an alternative. Also, I was thinking Frost Bite could cool down the area a bit, maybe make it harder for him to make fire?"

Zarkenis Ultima
Post Czar

Democratic Socialists

Postby Zarkenis Ultima » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:51 pm

July 9th
Wonder Island, San Diego

After putting her creations on display, Alexis eagerly accepted all of the compliments that her newly crafted gadgets had earned her from not just her teammates, but an unaffiliated professional hero as well. Then, upon hearing from Roy that they would have fifteen minutes to prepare, she quickly grabbed a pin and a communicator from the table, though she left the monitoring tablets alone, and ran out of the meeting room, practically flying down the stairs and then shooting out of the main tower towards the building under which her laboratory stood. One of the advantages of never growing physically tired was that you could simply run everywhere to save time, and Alexis made sure to exploit that whenever possible.

Upon reaching her underground lab, the blonde girl geared up in the span of just a couple minutes, by now having a pretty standard set of gadgets and gear she took on missions; it hadn't proven to be exceedingly effective during the Zoo mission, or during her sparring match with Nathan, but she had used her nocturnal work hours to make various improvements on her getup, and she was determined to make it work. Once fully outfitted, she ran out of the lab and towards the hangar; there was still a bit of time left, so she wasn't at risk of being late, but there wasn't anything left for her to do and she was too antsy to simply kick back and lounge around for a couple of minutes, and thus, she made her way to the jet.

Once inside, she sat next to her squad, idly running through a few potential new designs in her head while they waited for the jet to take them to where they needed to be. However, she also heard Nathan's proposal. "Oh, well, if you think you can absorb all of his fire, then I think it's a pretty good idea to have you sneak up on him. If that's all our mystery foe can do, then he should be easy pickings after that." The blonde girl said, before thinking a little on the second thing the boy suggested. "As for the other thing, well, maybe that could work, though I figure the main use we could give Frosty's ice is to make steam to hide ourselves from our enemy, you know? Set up a surprise attack or something."

Outside San Pharmaceuticals

The jet had landed, her teammates were on the move already, and Alexis felt ready to take on whatever challenge came across her, and a good part of it was thanks to her upgraded outfit. Rather than having a vest with a glowing blue machine in the center awkwardly tacked onto her tight-fitting black top, she had something that looked like an actual part of her costume, black and blue colored body armor covering her chest and abdomen, with the shimmering shield generator in the center (in addition to being an essential part of her ensemble, it was also terrible for stealth, so she was glad she hadn't been placed with the first team) and the symbol of a gear and a lightning bolt on the back. Her gauntlets, too, had received improvements, chief among them being what appeared to be small cannons right over the part that covered the wrists. Finally, she had made actual, honest-to-god rocket boots that were more stylish, more fitting and, above all, more powerful than her modified sneakers. With all of this, she felt more than prepared to deal a painful whacking to the vampires, the pyromancer and whoever else crossed the Young Bloods' path.

Which made it all the more bothersome to have to wait for Squad A to do their thing before she could enter the fray.

Standing outside the jet, she opted to distract herself by running over some data on her visor. As she had been the one to design the pins, it was a simple enough matter to link them to it in addition to the tablets, and so, she was easily able to pull up the relevant information on her heads-up display, seeing the layout of her surroundings and the locations of her teammates. Most of them were near her, surrounding the jet, but the dots belonging to Squad A were fast advancing upon the building, and a single dot, belonging to Roy, was heading elsewhere to check on potential intruders.

Her distraction was interrupted when she suddenly heard a girl's voice softly singing nearby. It was a beautiful melody, and Alexis quickly realized that it could only belong to one person. Walking around the jet, she was eventually met with a rather surprising sight. Standing in front of her was Kiris, dressed in casual clothes that allowed mobility, as per usual, though this time, something was different: seemingly fashioned out of some sort of red crystal, there were armor pieces covering various parts of her body, including her shoulders, her chest, her waist and her legs, without restricting her movement too much.

"I see you finally decided to wear something for protection! Mars will be relieved." The blonde girl said cheerfully, catching the Hadrian by surprise, as she tended to sing with her eyes closed when she was by herself and hadn't noticed Alexis approaching. Hearing the comment, Kiris felt her cheeks heating up, but she ignored the sliver of embarrassment she felt and smiled at the other girl.

"Yup! I noticed everyone was doin' so much to prepare that I thought I should try doin' the same for once. There's not much I can do to help with fancy tech or disguises and the like, but I can do this much at least." She said, earning a thumbs up from Alexis.

"Well, I think that's pretty cool, you were already a good fighter before so now you'll be even tougher! We should show the others, see what they think." The tech wizard suggested, earning a nod from the alien girl. Together, the two made their way back to where the other members of squads B and C were waiting.

Tomia
Post Marshal

New York Times Democracy

Postby Tomia » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:48 pm

Roy
Roy listened to Renata's rant about him not taking this issue seriously, clearly he had his work cut out for him if he wanted the two of them to leave. Then Blackout joined her, telling Roy that he didn't have the right to give him orders. This in particular made Night Shade mad. He was getting tired of vigilantes doing what ever they wanted because of their stubborn ideas of justice. Yes, Blackout' words were noble but he sought to achieve his goals with total disregard of consequences. Well Roy wasn't having it this time, not with his team on the line.

"I don't have a right Blackout? Fuck yes I have a right. Because I'm trained, I know what I'm doing because I've done it for years. I'm not some kid putting on a costume and playing hero. Think what you want about me, but I earned my fucking place in the world of heroes. You just want to jump in half cocked because you think you know better than everyone else, but you don't and you're about to put my team in danger so you and you're lovebird over there can spend your date night beating up drug dealers." Roy said gripping his staff.

"So leave now, or I'll drag you out of here myself. Not because I want to, or because I judge you for wanting help but because you're an overconfident rookie and I'm not letting you put my team in danger."

Mars
Mars was tinkering with his wrist computer when Alexis and Kiris approached. When he noticed Kiris' armor he was surprised. She was covered in red crystals that seemed plenty durable, Mars wondered how she had done it.

"Hey Kiris, that crystal armor is really cool... Did you make it yourself?" He asked, his scientific curiosity coming out in his voice.

He was also secretly glad she was going to be more protected in this fight. They had no idea what might await them in this building and that made Mars nervous. It seemed like they would have a real fight on their hands and he felt like it was important it went well. They were finally becoming cohesive, a team, maybe even... a family. But he knew that was a fragile balance. One bad loss, one misstep and things could start to unravel. But Mars pushed those thoughts from his mind. It was important for him to focus on positive thoughts. Being distracted would only put himself at risk, or even worse his teammates at risk.

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:29 pm

Almost immediately after Renata's outburst, Blackout stepped in, and in a slightly ironic move, it was him this time who had to hold her back, stating that since he's going to abide by the rules of heroes, she will have to, too, and that includes not getting into fights with other heroes. That... that makes sense. A lot of sense, actually. Renata slightly lowered her head and blushed a little from the embarrassment.

After all, isn't she supposed to be the more diplomatic one here? The person she is allied with in this operation is a vigilante, after all...

So Renata was left to watch as Blackout stepped in front of her, as if protecting her from danger, and spoke in favor of her arguments - nobody should just claim an entire drug ring for themselves, especially if they have vowed to protect their city from criminals. For what it's worth, Renata felt that it was quite weird that Blackout stepped in to "protect" someone on equal footing with him... but despite that, she recognized the comfort of having someone boldly support her side in an argument. And that's what friendship and camaraderie are all about, you know? Supporting the other side in need...

It was only solidified by the vigilante turning towards her and giving her a nod of support. Renata didn't say anything, at least not yet, but responded in kind, following the nod with a smile.

Despite two people stubbornly standing against him, Roy didn't seem to budge an inch - in fact, he grew even more aggressive, starting to resort to curses, insults and accusations against Blackout. Actually, even worse - calling him and Renata lovebirds. Lovebirds! They only met yesterday and yet Roy is already accusing them of that?! Okay, no, this won't do, she has to respond to him, and immediately.

"Okay, first of all, Nightshade, don't flaunt your experience where it's unnecessary! I have no less experience in being a superhero than anyone in your entire team, and neither is Blackout!" Renata exclaimed after walking forward and stopping to the right of the vigilante. Truth be told, she didn't actually have a clue how long Blackout or Roy were in the business... but what are you going to do right now, ask them? "And second of all, lovebirds? What the hell are you talking about?! We only met yesterday!"

If Renata wasn't aware that they were a street away from the main base of the vampires, she probably would have started shouting loud enough to be heard across the whole city block. She was getting oddly passionate and defensive, especially with that last part.

...and no idea why.

Maybe it would have been better to just let it go and let Roy have this conversation, then come back later. But no, words have been said and you can't take them back.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Charmera
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Charmera » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:53 pm

Finland SSR wrote:Renata Martínez, the heroic Stella!

Almost immediately after Renata's outburst, Blackout stepped in, and in a slightly ironic move, it was him this time who had to hold her back, stating that since he's going to abide by the rules of heroes, she will have to, too, and that includes not getting into fights with other heroes. That... that makes sense. A lot of sense, actually. Renata slightly lowered her head and blushed a little from the embarrassment.

After all, isn't she supposed to be the more diplomatic one here? The person she is allied with in this operation is a vigilante, after all...

So Renata was left to watch as Blackout stepped in front of her, as if protecting her from danger, and spoke in favor of her arguments - nobody should just claim an entire drug ring for themselves, especially if they have vowed to protect their city from criminals. For what it's worth, Renata felt that it was quite weird that Blackout stepped in to "protect" someone on equal footing with him... but despite that, she recognized the comfort of having someone boldly support her side in an argument. And that's what friendship and camaraderie are all about, you know? Supporting the other side in need...

It was only solidified by the vigilante turning towards her and giving her a nod of support. Renata didn't say anything, at least not yet, but responded in kind, following the nod with a smile.

Despite two people stubbornly standing against him, Roy didn't seem to budge an inch - in fact, he grew even more aggressive, starting to resort to curses, insults and accusations against Blackout. Actually, even worse - calling him and Renata lovebirds. Lovebirds! They only met yesterday and yet Roy is already accusing them of that?! Okay, no, this won't do, she has to respond to him, and immediately.

"Okay, first of all, Nightshade, don't flaunt your experience where it's unnecessary! I have no less experience in being a superhero than anyone in your entire team, and neither is Blackout!" Renata exclaimed after walking forward and stopping to the right of the vigilante. Truth be told, she didn't actually have a clue how long Blackout or Roy were in the business... but what are you going to do right now, ask them? "And second of all, lovebirds? What the hell are you talking about?! We only met yesterday!"

If Renata wasn't aware that they were a street away from the main base of the vampires, she probably would have started shouting loud enough to be heard across the whole city block. She was getting oddly passionate and defensive, especially with that last part.

...and no idea why.

Maybe it would have been better to just let it go and let Roy have this conversation, then come back later. But no, words have been said and you can't take them back.

It was at this point that the android who had been standing nearby decided to speak.

Normally Cass would be more conservative with her words, being one of the members of the team who spoke the least. But something prompted her to speak out of turn. It was unusual for her. But she stepped in front of the two parties, separating them.

She extended a hand in greeting to Renata and Icarus. She had not met either.

"Hello, I am Cassandra. I am a servant and combat robot." She explained.

"I have been listening to he conversation, and I appreciate your concerns. Justice is not the work of one team, but all of the superhero community working in concert." She explained in her awkward yet perhaps refreshingly normal monotone. "But we have a plan in this current matter. If you would like to be involved, we can negotiate roles for the both. Then if not, I would hope that you appreciate that acting rashly can cause injury and confusion. We would be in grief if something were to happen to either of you."
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:And here, we see a wild Shittonicus Charactericus, coloquially known as Charmera, in its natural habitat. It seems to be displaying behavior expected from one of its kind, producing numerous characters and juggling them with its front paws.

Imperial--japan's Witchy Friend.

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:51 am

Alexis Cain/Raven-San Diego

I listened as Brianna presented her concerns to me which were understandable. After all, there was a fine line between bravery and suicide. And my plan sounded like the latter I was sure. I did my best to place her at ease, but I was pretty sure that it would be Nick's planning which would turn this from a Banzai Charge to a feasible plan of action. "Of course. But, if we pull this off right then the gangs will not even know we exist. At least not until it's too late. Now, maybe I have seen too many action movies but what would happen if we struck at one gang under the guise of another?" Nick had actually put his cigarette out, showing how seriously he was taking this conversation. "They would retaliate against whomever they believed was behind it. In his case, whomever we made them believe was behind it." I nodded in agreement. "Exactly, and then we hit another gang and repeat the process, and pretty soon there is a full gang war." I then paused a moment. Giving everyone time to think it over.

"We do this right, the gangs will be killing each other. And while they exhaust themselves, we hit targets of importance crippling their operations and when they are weakened we bring them down around the heads. They won't know they are being manipulated until it is to late." Nick was quick to point out the very obvious but very important detail.

"Sure. But one mistake and this entire city comes crashing down on all of us. And I am not just talking about the gangs, corrupt cops...media outlets...politicians. Anyone whose wallet is filled with mob money." It was a extreme course of action. No denying it, but if we succeed? This city would be without major organized crime for who knows how long. Perhaps even the Young Bloods can keep it that way after we clean up the mess that is.

"No one has to make a decision now. And I do not want anyone to picture me as the leader of our group. Frankly, I would have been dead if it were not for help from all of you. Its just a suggestion that I think is worth our consideration is all. If we are not willing to go big and take the risks that others are not, then why are we even doing this at all? We may be all willing to risk our lives but doing this will risk others as well." Picking myself up, I made my way to the door.

"I am going for a walk. Clear my head. I should be gone for some hours. Hopefully when I get back we can all agree on what we are doing next." With that said I made my way out of the hideout and onto the streets above us where I was going someplace I never thought I would return to. Just to settle some unfinished business as I made my way back to my child hood home.

Mayla/Wonder Warrior-Outside of San Diego

Our battle had now taken to the air, and not to Gaul's advantage. I did not know if he could see, but even as I connected blow after blow, breaking and snapping bones in his body one after another. Painfully and ruthlessly my own eyes were welling with tears even as they still shone with a bright blue light. I ignored the presence of the spectators. To me, it was just the two of us. Locked in a titanic struggle as I unleashed a power that I have kept even from Gaul. I avoided strikes that could kill, but everything else was fair game.

Forming ki energy in the palms of my hands I blasted him with ki blasts at point blank range, shredding the t-shirt that he had been wearing and exposing his battered chest as I pressed the assault with no pause, knowing that it would only take a moment for his body to begin converting the damage into power. I was determined not to give him such a moment. Each blast creating the sound of a sonic boom.

Then, with speed and precision I spun around and planted a kick which sent him spiraling back into the direction of the ground below. Chasing after him I made sure that I focused all of my energy into precise points on his body, so that I could avoid any harm to the landscape around us. While ensuring maximum damage output and minimal fallout. Even now, I was forced to be impressed by Gaul's tenacity. As he fought back, his eyes closed through pain and so he countered blindly, I dodged almost without effort as with every missed blow caused a physical scarring of the land around us. I was just about to counter when he struck from an unexpected direction, and connected a shot right at center mass. The blow was enough to break the sound barrier, blow a crater beneath our feet and send a sand storm in every direction.

But when the dust settled, to anyone on the outside looking in. It would appear that nothing happened at all.

I still stood defiantly before Gaul it would seem that the blow had no affect at all on me.

That was far from the truth. In reality, one of the secrets of this new form, while my overall endurance is greatly heightened, I bear no sense of pain. Pain is a reaction from the brain to damage sustained by the body. In this state, I have learned to allow my mind to relinquish all physical limitations on the body. Pain included.

However this does not mean that the damage is not done. I simply will not feel it, not until I exit this state that is.

Of course, they did not know this however and it seemed as if the battle was over. As I tossed Gaul to the side and then charged another ki blast, this one having the power to wipe out several buildings. Sensing the danger their ally was in both of the spectators stepped in and intervened, placing themselves between me and Gaul.

"Step aside. Trust me, this attack will not kill Gaul, however I cannot promise the same for either of you." I warned as the brilliant blue energy continued to grow stronger in my hands.
Last edited by The Rebel Alliances on Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
My RP Nation is the Islamic Republic of Alamon

The Starlight wrote:Rebel Force: Noun - A strange power associated with street-level characters who are the weakest, yet most powerful of all.

New Finnish Republic
Minister

Founded: Mar 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Finnish Republic » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:31 am

Red

Red waited for the signal, and as soon as he got it he sprang forward along with Casimir. Red had to admit, the lad was fast, as he ended up reaching the guards first. Not one to let himself be outshone, Red dethatched his staff into its baton form, and with a small press of a button several thousand volts of electricity surged through the second guard's body. He was unable to even let out a cry of pain, as his muscles locked up in painful spasms. Red let go of the button, ceasing the electrical surge but wasted no time in finishing the guard off with a blow to the head from his other baton. The man crumbled onto the floor where he would no doubt lay there unconscious for quite some time.

Glancing over to Casimir, he gave him a curt nod of approval before getting onto his radio.

"Entryway is clear. Time to do your thing, Dragon Boy."

Things were going smoothly, but a sense of unease seemed to fill the back of Red's mind. For such an important base of operations, one would imagine tougher security than this. He shook his head, dispelling the thought, but made sure to stay vigilant as they proceeded.

Brianna

Brianna watched as Alexis exited, part of her being concerned as to where she was going. Brianna had not known this girl for long, but it was clear that wherever she went trouble seemed to follow. Looking over to Nick, he seemed to have similar thoughts.
"Brusi, you can keep an eye on her, correct?"
Nick nodded as he reached for yet another cigarette.

"I'll do what I can without invading her privacy."

His answer was enough to keep her content. Seeing as things were effectively wrapped up, she likewise left, although her destination was for her new "room". She used that word lightly, as it was more of a closet outfitted with lights, furniture, and some small trinkets Brianna liked to keep around. By no means was this an unpleasant arrangement for her, however, as she had learned many centuries ago that being ungrateful for even a warm bed to sleep in was a sin that no one should commit. Her only qualm was feeling as if she was trapped off from the rest of the world, but she figured that given Alexis's plans, she wouldn't be spending much time here in leisure anyways.

Seeing that they were going to have ample time to wait until Alexis returned, Brianna decided she'd pick up a new book to read. It was a pastime she had done for countless centuries now, and even with all of the modern devices people used for entertainment, nothing could ever replace her love for reading.

Going up to her book case, Brianna decided to read a favorite tale she had read over several times.

“La Chanson De Roland.”

Brianna read the title of the book out loud, the French words rolling smoothly off her tongue. The entire poem was written in French, both the modern and archaic form used back when it was written. She had become fluent in dozens of languages throughout her time serving as a Valkyrie, and reading stories in their archaic tongues was the best way for her to keep their words in her mind.

Hopping on to her bed, she was eager to begin reading about the tales of the heroic Roland fighting off the hordes of Saracens. However, as she went through it's pages, she slowly began to feel her eyes become heavier and heavier, until she was suddenly awoken with a start by the sound of someone knocking on her door.

Her hair laid around her in a mess, and she saw she had been asleep for quite some time. Placing the book on her nightstand, Brianna moved to answer the door. She assumed it was going to be Alexis returning back from her trip, but who she was greeted with was far from it.

“What do you want, Brusi?”
Known mostly as Finn, but also known as a few other things I can't put in a signature by those who know me.

American who got left too long in the sauna.

Proud to spread Spurdo Nationalism from sea to shining sea.

Auropa
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Auropa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:06 pm

Mike Mathews
Underground Near Sandiego
Earlier

It had felt like eons since Mike left the island and his team behind. Since then it had been a non-stop blur of tests, practice, discussions and the occasional update on the ever changing world. Suffice to say, it hadn’t been fun.

The news of Red’s incarceration and possible murders caused something to break inside of Mike. By the time they arrived back at Wonder Island he sent Naja a message and left without a word. It had been years since he felt something similar but it wasn’t an experience he’d forget, and as he made his way off the island, he only paused for a moment before making the call he knew he had to.
“Hey… No…N. Kross. I’ve got a problem. I think my power’s spiking, yeah. Okay I’ll be there”

Of course that lead Mike into the wonderful pre-prepared nightmare he was currently sitting in. While the team was out fighting some new drug fuelled super thugs, he was stuck in some specially designed lab trying to figure out what was happening to him. That said, it wasn’t like he was there against his will, he knew better than anyone how important keeping control was. Since he was young, he had been basing his power off precision and control, learning how to go about charging certain areas and items to get an edge wherever he could. In all fairness, it had worked well enough over the last few years but as it turns out, actual combat had a habit of not being as orderly as he’d hope.

After letting out a deep sigh, he flopped onto his back and stared at the ceiling as he waited for more time to pass. Thankfully, it didn’t take too long before someone came to see him.
“So?” Mike asked from his sprawled position.
“Its not as bad as we thought but not as good as we hoped.” The doctor replied while taking a seat. “The stress you’ve seen in your… work experience. Its not good. We’re not certain on the details yet but your ability to interact with matter seems to be acting more... erratic than it has in the past. The rough theory is that its adapting to the danger, increasing in strength but at the same time, loosing its focus.”
“Well, that sucks.” Mike eventually replied. Thinking about it, the news wasn’t really that much of a surprise, if anything, it explained how he survived his encounter with thunderstruck. “So how unstable is ‘unstable?’” he eventually asked as he straightened himself up.

For a moment the doctor paused, before pulling a small tablet from the depths of his coat and continuing “For now, it seems mostly under control, though this seems to change rapidly when you’re under mental duress. Your power spikes then settles in a position a little more unstable than before. But, all things considered, we’ve dealt with issues like this before.” He said as flicked open a series of diagrams and schematics detailing different types of equipment paired with electronics “Until your powers settle or we properly understand the situation, you should try to wear one of these regulators during your… outings. Think of it as a modified dampener, funnelling your abilities rather than just cancelling them out.”

“Great.” Mike muttered “Well, I guess I needed a wardrobe update anyways. So keep the thing on and play it safe for a while... Does this mean I’m good to go?” His anticipation openly leaking into his question. He knew his issue was important but what little info he had about his team made him desperate to get out, it seemed like they had spent the short time jumping from one crisis to the next. Fighting a new drug, dealing with new players, fighting supervillains and saving Red. Suffice to say, he needed to get back in.
After another pause, the doctor got up and made his way to the door “Just grab the gear on your way out and try to keep the fighting to a minimum.” He finally said with a hint of fatigue creeping into his voice.

‘Finally’ Mike thought to himself as he shot to his feet and made his way to the door. Sure the news about his powers was a bit disheartening but he had a lot more on his mind at the moment, and as grabbed his new gear from the exit, he figured that from how things went, the whole matter was probably under control.

Kross Mathews

“Just once, I’d like to go a whole shift without something blowing up in face. I don’t think that’s asking too much. And yet…” he said with a sweeping arm gesture to the unluckiest officer at Pandora’s Lock “You’ve given me about a dozen useless reports for a job I needed done a week ago”
“But sir, these people are top of their class, most operations wouldn’t be able to get half of them together. Surely They ca-“
“Look at this!” Kross stated as he pulled a file from the ever growing mess of a table “Agent Okleih. 12 years of service, exceptional loyalty, plenty of experience at handling magical artefacts and dealing with dangerous threats. And of course, you’ve recommended him for the task force. And of course, he’s got no relevant experience at working undercover or in civilian operations, he’s complete garbage on his own and looks like a terrible improvisor. You realise that the whole point of this investigation is to do it without causing a panic? For crying out loud I’m in the middle of a surgery and here you are giving me hand grenades.”
“I’ll try to get another roster together Sir.”
“I need it by this afternoon.”

And after a curt ‘Yes Sir’ Kross was left alone. For a few minutes he sat motionless, steadily making his way through an endless ocean of thoughts and concerns before finally, coming to an understandable conclusion and reaching for a cigarette. For now, the best he could do was split his mind between only 3 different disasters.

For one, his investigation was stalling for what must have been the millionth time. Every time they made progress and discovered something new, he was left with more questions, and had to explain how previous findings were wrong while re-adjusting a small army of personal, all with precious little proof to go off. The worse thing about It though, was how damn big it was getting. Something about an invisible, super-power making terrorist cabal with no clear objective had an uncanny ability to make people worried. Best case scenario, they catch the cell and only nearly all of humanity’s understanding of powers and what causes them is proved wrong. Worst case scenario. Well, that was something he didn’t want to think about.

The other issue was his perpetual problem of a nephew. The kid was a time bomb. And in several different ways to boot. Though while it took pulling a few strings, he managed to get some gear out of storage for him, if anything, it would at least stop the more recent issues from getting worse but he couldn’t help but feel like it was a delay at best. Course, he could leave the whole thing to his idiot brother but he figured that the guy was probably too busy signing autographs or posing in front of cameras to actually take care of his own kid.

The last and latest of problems was news from the intelligence sector, specifically internal affairs. Like always their briefings were speculation and classified even to others at PL but according to them, there had been whispers for the revival of Lionheart’s initiatives. Suffice to say, anyone wanting something like that was beyond dangerous. It had been decades since his time but everyone in the organisation knew about him. The founder. Quite possibly the most bloodthirsty man to have ever legally not existed. Still, as much of a problem it could be, it wasn’t his department. ‘Leave it to intelligience’ he figured. He had his hands full enough as it was. ‘Still, wouldn’t hurt to take a few precautions’.

Mike Mathews
Near San Diego Pharmaceuticals
Now

It had taken a bit of time and a lot of pleading to Naja but he had managed to find out what was going on as well as grab his own communicator. All things considered, after hearing that the team was on an op the right thing to do was wait at the tower and leave the mission to those already on it. And yet. Here he was, standing on a roof in his new gear a few buildings away from San Pharmaceuticals. Taking in one last breath he opened his communications to the team. He knew he owed them an explanation about where he’d been and had close to a thousand questions about what happened in his absence but decided now wasn’t the time “This is Mike, I’m in the area and ready to provide back up if we need it.”

The Republic of Atria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 12, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Republic of Atria » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:35 pm

Wyatt moved next to Wendy when she explained that there was a pretty good chance that she would lose consciousness while she hacked into the cameras. True to her word, she passed out and he caught her and gently laid her down just in time for Red to inform him that he needs to get over there with Sam. "On my way, someone grab Wendy while I change." He said as he ran over to the unconscious guard. There were about a thousand things he felt were wrong with this situation, but it was for the greater good.

Unfortunately the greater good involved him stripping an adult man of his clothing and dignity while Wyatt impersonated him. Hopefully they don't get radioed by someone who knew these two, or else they would be in a bit of trouble. Once he had managed to finish dressing himself in a suit that was just a bit too big for him he took another deep breath. "This information better be rock solid. I also hope these guys did something to deserve the potential brain damage." What was worse, hoping they did something bad and hurt someone, or them just being innocent bystanders just trying to earn a paycheck. Maybe he was overthinking things just a bit. He double checked his pockets to make sure he still had the runes Amir gave him. All he had to do was place them around the building without getting spotted by someone and get out.

The hard part was doing so when he knew nothing about the layout of the building. Even with the freelancer coming with him, he still had his reservations. "I hope you know where to go, because I don't. Make sure you guys hide the bodies. Or tie them up or something in case they wake up before we're done." He touched the button on his communicator to radio the rest of his team. "Team A is about to enter the building. If everything goes according to plan, we should be done in about 10 minutes."

And with that, he entered the building.

Bentus
Senator

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bentus » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:14 pm

Marionette
San Diego

Sitting shotgun in the prison transport, the guard watched as the endless stretches of Californian farmland streamed past on either side of the bus. Two hours into the drive, and he could already feel his eyelids beginning to droop slowly as the monotony gradually took its toll. It was his first long distance transport, and not being behind the wheel was killing him. There was absolutely nothing to do or even see, although the pay was pretty good all things considered.

Before the young man’s eyes could finally close completely, however, he received a harsh elbow in his side from the driver.

“Wake up kid, no sleeping on the job.” The older man’s eyes remained on the road, but he was wearing an amused expression at the younger guard’s boredom. His hair was greying, and there was the beginning of a bald patch to go with the beer belly that stuck ever so slightly out towards the steering wheel. “Especially when we’re shipping this lot upstate.”

Sighing, the guard rubbed his eyes as he sat back up in the passenger seat, shifting his shotgun so that it rested securely by his side. He was hardly into his twenties, and originally the whole prison gig was meant to be a hold-over until he made enough money to get into college but the pay had been better than he’d expected. It also gave him some pretty decent experience too for when he ended up applying to the police academy.

“Damn, can’t I just doze off for a bit? We’re pretty much on taxi driver duty here, come on.” Looking in the rear-view mirror, the guard eyed the chase car that followed a few lengths behind the bus – its lights flashing even if its sirens were off. “Plus, Johnson and O’Reilly have our backs if someone tries anything.”

The old man let out a dry laugh. “Kid, I’ve been doing this rodeo for longer than you’ve been able to talk and trust me when I say that this is the one route which you never let your guard down on. SuperMax isn’t a place that folks get sent to lightly – it’s a place that people get sent to so that they’re never seen again.”

The guard shifted uneasily at that comment, his gazing moving within the rear-view mirror to roam over the orange-suited figures that were arrayed in the back of the bus. All of them were wearing handcuffs that kept them secured to their seats, and he could see that the prisoners were occupying themselves with chatter among themselves. A blast and bullet-proof door kept the cabin of the transport safely segregated from the back, so he thankfully didn’t have to listen to their insults or threats. Not that he hadn’t learned to tune it out already. You couldn’t get far as a prison guard in San Diego if you didn’t pick up that trick quickly.

His eyes continued to roam over each of the prisoners, although they were inevitably drawn to the one solitary figure sitting by herself at the back. She was silent, having ignored the taunts and cat-calls from the rest of the prisoners for the entirety of the drive, her gaze fixed out the window as she seemed to be lost in her own thoughts. Dressed in the same orange jumpsuit as the others – albeit in one that seemed to be a size or two too big for her – her long blond hair hung down gently on either side of her features. There was a berth of a few seats around her, as if the other prisoners had deliberately given her some space although they seemed content to verbally taunt her from the safety of their seats. Looking over towards his younger companion, the driver followed the guard’s gaze until he found the target of his attention. He immediately scoffed.

“Got eyes for Marionette, huh? Enjoy it while it lasts, I give her two weeks – tops.” The old man frowned as he saw the guard glance over his shoulder warily towards the girl. “Don’t let her looks fool you, son. That bitch is apparently responsible for the riot yesterday. I know a bunch of the folks who didn’t make it out of that mess, she could get shanked in the bathroom for all I care. I ain’t going to lose no sleep on her behalf.”

The younger man shifted uneasily at the implications of that statement. He couldn’t help but feel a tang of sympathy for the young woman – hell, she was still pretty much a girl. Even if they didn’t really know her age, she didn’t look like she was old enough even to be out of high school. Her petite frame made her stand out harshly among the burly tattooed figures who occupied the rest of the bus. Was this really the mass murdering psychopath? It all seemed unbelievable to him. He pulled his eyes away for a moment, but his mind was still on the girl and what was going to become of her when they arrived at their destination. The guard sat uneasily, trying unsuccessfully to convince himself that it wasn’t his job or business. With a sigh, he pushed himself to his feet and grabbed one of the meal packets that they kept for the ride.

“I’ll be back in a minute.”

The driver rolled his eyes as the guard made his way towards the door separating the cabin from the rest of the bus. “Don’t say I didn’t warn you about the crazy, kid.”

Exiting into the passenger compartment, the guard was immediately assaulted by the din of conversation. Some of the prisoners were yelling at each other from across the rows, raising their voices to be heard over their fellows. Some hurled insults in his direction which he casually ignored as me made his way down the isle – feeling a sense of comfort with the weight of his pistol in its holster. One of the prisoners whistled in the direction that he was walking, offering a lewd comment towards the girl sitting at the back. Glowering in the man’s direction, the guard broke his silence.

“Can it, asshole.” The man, clearly taken aback by the guard’s hostility, raised his hands with an amused smirk, but otherwise stopped his cat-calling. Ignoring the prisoner, the guard continued to make his way towards the rear of the bus, until eventually he stood beside the girl’s seat. Her gaze remained fixed on the landscape outside the window, and she didn’t even seem to notice his presence. Clearing his throat to get her attention, the girl blinked before casually turning to look towards him. Her brow furrowed, as if she had only just noticed his presence and was irritated at being disturbed from whatever thoughts had been occupying her mind. However, after a moment she offered the guard a warm smile.

“Hi officer, is anything the matter?” Her eyes fluttered, catching the sentry off-guard. He found himself standing idly by for a few moments, a fact which clearly amused the supervillain as he tried to find his words.

“Oh – um, I was just wanting to make sure that everything is going fine back here?”

Marionette raised an eyebrow. “And here I was thinking that I was a prisoner.” She giggled. “I’m doing fine, it’s easy enough to tune out these brutes. But thank you for asking, it’s very sweet of you!” Glancing down, Marionette noticed the aluminium-packed meal in the guard’s hands.

“Oh my, am I being treated to seat-side service? To what do I owe such a pleasure?”

Acting hastily, the guard made to hand over his package, trying to hide a pleased smile from his features. To hell with it, a part of him was happy that he’d made the girl smile, despite the awful situation that she found herself in. Marionette or not, he couldn’t bring himself to connect the person before him to the reputation that preceded her. All he saw was a girl who was trying to look brave as her whole world shifted around her.

Greedily taking the pre-packaged meal, Marionette pulled back the foil covering to reveal a mediocre ration of beans and mashed potato. Despite the woefully inadequate quality of the food, she was starving and wasted no time in digging into the offered food. Wolfing down mouthfuls of the dish, she paused as she looked up at the guard again.

“Where are my manners, thank you so much. I’ve been absolutely famished.”

“Have you not been fed well?” The guard’s voice was tinged with concern. “You have certain rights, even as a prisoner.” Even as he said the words, the guard realised their futility. Realistically, what rights was she going to have when the guards decided to look the other way? Thinking for a moment, he made a decision. “Hey, look my name’s Jacob – Jacob Livingstone. If anyone treats you poorly or does anything to make you uncomfortable, feel free to reach out at some point and I’ll see what I can do.” Pulling out a notebook and pen, Jacob began to scribble down his number.

Marionette watched the scene unfold, both confused and amused at the guard’s sympathy for her. After he ripped the page from his book and held it out to her, she simply raised an eyebrow. “Jacob, you’re new to this aren’t you?” That caught Jacob off guard. Marionette laughed once again. “You’re so sweet that it’s cute. Though you certainly know how to give a girl your number.” Winking, she took the offered slip. As she did so, Marionette glanced once more out of the window as a road sign rushed past. Her smile widening, the villain made to tighten her seatbelt before looking once more to the guard.

“I like you Jacob, really I do.” The girl smiled sweetly at the young man. “But don’t worry, I’ll make sure to kill you last.”

Jacob’s eyes narrowed as he wondered if he’d misheard what she’d said. Gradually, a solid lump began to form in his stomach as he realised that he may have made a horrible mistake. He opened his mouth to ask for some kind of explanation, but Marionette’s attention was fixed out the front windshield as the bus entered an intersection. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw the garbage truck screaming in from the other side, but with a blink she missed the collision itself. The entire bus rocked with the blow as the truck careened into the cabin, demolishing it in an instant. If he was lucky, the driver didn’t even have time to register what was happening before he was turned into paste between his seat and the door.

Jacob and the other prisoners were not so lucky, as the entire bus rolled off the road. The prisoners, handcuffed to their seats, remained securely in place as their world suddenly turned upside down, but Jacob was flung like a ragdoll throughout the bus, desperately throwing out his hands to grab onto any purchase that he could. It was all that he could do to look outside and see a tree approaching before his whole world went black.

When the guard came to, his eyes slowly opened to a sharp pain rocking through his entire body. Groaning, Jacob felt that even the act of breathing was difficult. Immediately, he knew that he had at least broken a couple of ribs – and the ringing in his head meant that he’d probably suffered a concussion too. Gritting his teeth, he forced himself to look around at the scene of the crash. The bus had ended up on its side, the tree having demolished some of the middle row, leaving the prisoners as little more than bloody mush. Resisting the urge to vomit at the sight, Jacob glanced towards the cabin to see the front of the bus marred by small electrical fires, with a few sparks coming from the exposed electrical wiring of what was left of the cabin. It all seemed surreal to him, what had happened? Where had that truck come from?

The girl.

He felt his heart sink, using what energy he could, Jacob glanced at Marionette’s chair to see the seatbelt unbuckled and the girl nowhere to be seen. The sudden sound of a gunshot caused him to nearly jump as he whirled his head around to the source.

Marionette was casually standing over the motionless corpse of the prisoner who had catcalled her, smoke drifting up from a pistol in her hands as blood oozed from a hole in the man’s temple. He realised that most of the prisoners he could still identify had similar wounds, their eyes staring blankly as their arms hung limp. Jacob’s heart increased as he felt fear beginning to grip his chest.

“That’s the last of them, Marionette. We’ve got to go before reinforcements arrive to investigate the crash.” It was a voice that Jacob didn’t realise, but he recognised the costumed figure of Ignition with a growing sense of dread.

“Ignition's right, you may have got us out in San Diego, but I’m not willing to go back just to save your ass.” It was another voice belonging to a member of the Hellfire gang, and Jacob could feel himself beginning to panic. Weren’t they all locked up back in San Diego? Back in the prison which…which Marionette had just organised a riot in. The pieces clicked together with a sense of morbid satisfaction in the guard’s head, panic devolving into outright terror as a whimper escaped from his mouth. The sound caused the heads of the gathered villains to turn towards his broken form lying on the ground. Marionette’s face seemed to light up.

“Jacob! You’re alive!” Beaming, she began to make her way over towards the guard. Desperately, Jacob tried to crawl in the opposite direction, but the pain was too much. “I am so glad. I’ll be sure to hold onto your number and tell your family how sweet you were to me, ‘kay? And don’t worry, I made sure that you were the last one.” With that, she casually pointed the barrel of her pistol between his eyes and pulled the trigger, spraying Jacob’s brains out among the wreckage.

There was a moment of silence after the gunshot, eventually broken as Ignition cleared her throat.

“Well, now that we’re all done here, let’s get a move on.” Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out a small mobile, the old Nokia looking like it belonged from a decade ago. “The boss wanted a few words with you, too.”

Hesitating for a moment, Marionette rolled her eyes and reached out. Her mouth turning into a line of irritation, Marionette sighed as she took the phone – calling the single saved number on speed dial. An electronically distorted voice greeted her on the first ring.

“This wasn’t the plan.”

“I had to improvise, ok? I didn’t exactly want to go to prison either, it’s not like it all went exactly as I expected.” Marionette responded, already acting defensive. “Besides, it wasn’t anything that I couldn’t handle.”

The voice was stern, unswayed by her excuses. “You’re not being paid to improvise. You’re being paid to do what you’re told. Stick to the script, I don’t like surprises.” There was a brief pause. “And I especially don’t like childish distractions.”

That caused Marionette to bristle, a stab of embarrassment striking at her pride. “Leave him out of this. I got your friends out, didn’t I? It doesn’t matter what I do in my own downtime. Besides, I would have had him if his friends hadn’t gotten involved.”

“I don’t have time to cater to your delusional fantasies, nor do I have any interest in correcting them. But if they continue to interfere, then they will have to be removed – understood?”

Biting her lip and mentally restraining a retort, Marionette sighed once again. “Fine, sure. Won’t happen again, pinkie promise. Can I hang up now?” She could feel the irritation from the other side of the line as the call went dead. Pulling the phone away from her ear, Marionette stuck her tongue out at it derisively before handing the burner back to Ignition.

“Well, now that that’s done – tell me you brought me something else to wear. This orange is just ghastly.”

Yoshiro
San Pharmaceuticals, San Diego

The ride in the jet was fairly quiet, with the team going over the plan a few more times while ironing out the details. Yoshiro was mostly content to listen rather than contribute, knowing that she was still lacking in experience compared to everyone else. Everyone seemed to be working together much better, and she smiled as she could feel everyone moving together in lockstep. They were really beginning to function like a team now, moving as a unit and planning out their actions rather than acting blindly like at the zoo. Yoshiro shifted uneasily as she remembered the team’s first mission, knowing that this time the LA Stars won’t be swooping in to rescue them. But she felt a sense of determined anticipation rather than fearful apprehension. They were ready. After the training on the island and dealing with Red’s arrest, Yoshiro felt like they were ready for whatever the Vampire’s ended up throwing at them. Already it seemed like everything was going to plan over the radio, with Team A engaging the guards quickly and silently. Yoshiro smiled lightly when she heard Red’s voice in her ear. She’d been surprised when he’d left his guns at the Tower, but she’d been glad that he’d chosen to do so. It looked like he was really trying to turn over a new leaf, to open up a little bit to the team….to her.

Shaking her head to dispel the thought, Yoshiro glanced around at the rest of Team B. While she had been initially concerned about going up against the pyromancer, she was feeling increasingly confident. Angelica, Carter and Nathan all seemed to be able to counter his powers, and with all three of them working together she was certain that their foe wouldn’t stand a chance. Beyond that, she was glad to be on the same team as Alexis and Angelica, although she kept mentally reminding herself not to refer to the latter by her real name. After yesterday, Yoshiro felt like she could really count on them, and a part of her was burning to tell them about her encounter with Red in the morning – although she knew that it was better to wait until after the mission. Not to mention that a part of her still felt embarrassed bringing it up in front of everyone else.

“Hey Kiris, wow you look amazing!” Yoshiro offered as the alien and Alexis approached the rest of the squad. Her eyes widened as she saw the crystal armour that now adorned the horned girl. “You’ve been holding out on us, where’d you even get that from?”
Last edited by Bentus on Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- - Bentus
- -
1 2 3 >4< 5
Possible threat.
Forces active in a warzone.
At peace.
Member of The Galactic Economic and Security Organization

NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.
"Though I fly through the valley of Death, I shall fear no evil. For I am at the Karman line and climbing." - Bentusi SABRE motto

North America Inc wrote:13. If Finland SSR or Bentus anyone spams the Discord with shipping goals, I will personally tell your mother.

How Roleplays Die <= Good read for anyone interested in OPing

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:23 pm

“Okay,” Wendy said as she watched Casimir and Red took out the two guards. “Two down, god knows how many more to go. Now on to part two… lets see here…” She said as she unlocked the door and pulled up the building schematics. “Okay here’s that door… and here’s the buildings security control center. We going to need to get there first so… here’s hoping they catch my hints on where to go.”

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse