NATION

PASSWORD

[RE REVISED] Universal Background Checks & Waiting Periods

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Marjory Stoneman Douglas
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Universal Background Checks & Waiting Periods

Postby Marjory Stoneman Douglas » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:02 pm

Recognizes: An individual has the right to own a firearm

Realizing: Many people who own firearms have criminal histories, violent behaviors, malicious intentions, and/or mental illnesses

Reaffirming: This DOES NOT take away an individual's right to own a firearm

Defines:

1. Universal Background Check: A search of an individual through the "Universal Background Check System" to search for any " Red flags" or "Yellow Flags" attached to their name/record

2. Universal Background Check System: A database run and maintained by the state/nation and regularly updated with information on every individual in said nation such as crimes convicted for/committed, abuse/violence cases, known attempt(s) of terrorism/malicious behavior(s), any mental illness(es), any time(s) the individual has been in prison/jail, and/or any time(s) the individual was admitted to a mental institution

3. Red Flag: A notification which appears on a "Universal Background Check" denoting the individual has been incarcerated for/committed for a felony relating to harm, death, or injury, has mental illness(es) which can lead to misuse of the firearm and/or harm to themselves or others, has been reported to have violent behavior to other individual(s) and/or animals, and/or has been know to support/participate in terrorist groups and/or terrorism

4. Yellow Flag: A notification which appears on a "Universal Background Check" denoting the individual has been incarcerated, and/or is a convicted felon not relating to harm, injury, or death.

5. Waiting Period: A time comprising of five (5) business days from when the individual attempts to purchase a firearm in which a "Universal Background Check" is performed

Hereby:

A. Creates a "Universal Background Check System" in all nations where one does not already exist

B. Requires a "Universal Background Check" to be performed on any individual wanting to purchase a firearm

C. Requires a "Waiting Period"

D. Prevents a firearm from being sold to any individual who has at least one (1) "Red Flag" attached to their name/record

E. Permits an individual with a "Yellow Flag" attached to their name/record to be sold a firearm. However, they must have another background check performed every four (4) months

a. If at any point, a person with one (1) or more "Yellow Flag(s)" receives a "Red Flag", they must have any/all firearms removed

b. An individual with one (1) or more "Yellow Flag(s)" can have their firearm(s) legally confiscated if a petition with at least 100 signatures (not including the creator of the petition) is brought forth to a judge who then must approve and validate the petition.

1. The signatures must be physical (i.e. not online or virtual)
Last edited by Marjory Stoneman Douglas on Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:22 pm

Marjory Stoneman Douglas wrote:Recognizes: An individual has the right to own a firearm

Not necessarily. GA#235 "Child Firearm Safety Act", §7, devolves the issue of whether or not to allow guns in the first place to member states.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Marjory Stoneman Douglas
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Marjory Stoneman Douglas » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:37 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
Marjory Stoneman Douglas wrote:Recognizes: An individual has the right to own a firearm

Not necessarily. GA#235 "Child Firearm Safety Act", §7, devolves the issue of whether or not to allow guns in the first place to member states.

It does not explicitly say that an individual does not have the right to own a firearm. Also, individual does not refer (solely) to children. Also, GA #235 states that a firearm should not be sold to a child. My proposal states that Universal Background Checks and Waiting Periods are mandatory. It does not contradict GA #235.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:39 pm

Tinhampton wrote:

No it doesn't. It explicitly affirms that it doesn't touch the matter.

Responsibility In Transferring Arms on the other hand...
Imperium Anglorum wrote:5. Assures member nations of the exclusive right to determine purely internal arms trading and firearm policy, excepting:
  1. those regulations recognized by the terms of this resolution or extant international law,
  2. future regulations which seek to prevent firearms from being sold to or used by individuals that pose a danger of performing imminent lawless action, or
  3. future resolutions which seek to relax regulations on purchasing firearms for recreational reasons only;

Now you could get past 5c by changing the first line to read; "Recognizes: An individual has the right to own a firearm for recreational purposes"; but 5b is the real challenge, the persons restricted under your regulations have to meet the standard of "imminent lawless action". This means that even a person with prior violent convictions would not make the cut, as they may no longer pose a danger.
Last edited by Aclion on Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Alpha Cassiopeiae
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Alpha Cassiopeiae » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:48 pm

OOC: Don't submit proposals to the WA before drafting. It's considered bad form and is the quickest way to garner opposition to a proposal...
Last edited by Alpha Cassiopeiae on Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Albinus Krantz
General Ambassador to the World: Marian Novak

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:40 am

"Underlining looks extremely bad aesthetically and does nothing to help the proposal. Also, bolting is generally frowned upon. Thirdly, the “Realising” and “Reaffirming” lines are in the continuos, rather than simple aspect, which should be changed to improve consistency."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:17 am

First off, why do you generalize gun owners having criminal histories, violent behaviors, malicious intentions, and/or mental illnesses?

Second, why is my nation’s gun policies a concern of any other nations?
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:05 am

Jarish Inyo wrote:First off, why do you generalize gun owners having criminal histories, violent behaviors, malicious intentions, and/or mental illnesses?

Second, why is my nation’s gun policies a concern of any other nations?

(OOC: Good questions, the answers to which show why this sort of legislation never works out.)
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Masurbia
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Masurbia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:09 am

Marjory Stoneman Douglas wrote:
b. An individual with one (1) or more "Yellow Flag(s)" can have their firearm(s) legally confiscated if a petition with at least 100 signatures (not including the creator of the petition) is brought forth to a judge who then must approve and validate the petition.

I'm very confused with this clause. You're telling me that if someone gets 100 signatures they can take a person's guns away? What actions determine the creation of a petition? How many Yellow Flags can an individual have? You're proposal also states that an individual with a Red Flag cannot have guns sold to them, but what about people with Red Flags who already own a gun? Nowhere in the proposal does it state what happens then.

2. Universal Background Check System: A database run and maintained by the state/nation and regularly updated with information on every individual in said nation such as crimes convicted for/committed, abuse/violence cases, known attempt(s) of terrorism/malicious behavior(s), any mental illness(es), any time(s) the individual has been in prison/jail, and/or any time(s) the individual was admitted to a mental institution

Here you assume every nation has such a system. Unless you're mandating that nations create a national database to hold all of this information, which would be a huge burden on nations starting from scratch.
I see, therefore I am not blind.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:14 am

Masurbia wrote:
Marjory Stoneman Douglas wrote:

I'm very confused with this clause. You're telling me that if someone gets 100 signatures they can take a person's guns away? What actions determine the creation of a petition? How many Yellow Flags can an individual have? You're proposal also states that an individual with a Red Flag cannot have guns sold to them, but what about people with Red Flags who already own a gun? Nowhere in the proposal does it state what happens then.

Here you assume every nation has such a system. Unless you're mandating that nations create a national database to hold all of this information, which would be a huge burden on nations starting from scratch.

It doesn't matter, it's all blatantly illegal.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:00 am

"Clause Eb1 would be very difficult for an AI nation to follow."
My pronouns are he/him.

Rafterland
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rafterland » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:33 am

Kenmoria wrote:"Clause Eb1 would be very difficult for an AI nation to follow."

"I think a universal trait of sentient robots all around is that they are very good at interfacing with printers, except the ones derived from the great Macrohard DOORS singularity obviously."
Bien à vous,
From the cabinet of Rafterian Office for Foreign Affairs Director André VANDEPUTTE.

Contact the ROFA through the Rafterian Partenariat office in New-Brussels.
Opening Days :
Department of Legislative Affairs : Mon - Fri
Public Relations : Tue - Sat
ROFA Main Detachment : Mon - Thu

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:44 am

Rafterland wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:"Clause Eb1 would be very difficult for an AI nation to follow."

"I think a universal trait of sentient robots all around is that they are very good at interfacing with printers, except the ones derived from the great Macrohard DOORS singularity obviously."

"Yes, but it makes no sense in a nation with the entire populace being AIs to exclude their preferred means of communication. Besides, if security can be guaranteed, there's little reason to exclude digital signatures in the first place."
My pronouns are he/him.

Rafterland
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rafterland » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:29 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Rafterland wrote:

"Yes, but it makes no sense in a nation with the entire populace being AIs to exclude their preferred means of communication. Besides, if security can be guaranteed, there's little reason to exclude digital signatures in the first place."

"Haha that's true, Kenny, and they'd just 3D print their guns anyway. Truly, it shows how obvious it is that this assembly is too diverse to legiferate on such a broad thing as armament. Let's let countries decide if and how they want to shoot stuff bon sang!"
Last edited by Rafterland on Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bien à vous,
From the cabinet of Rafterian Office for Foreign Affairs Director André VANDEPUTTE.

Contact the ROFA through the Rafterian Partenariat office in New-Brussels.
Opening Days :
Department of Legislative Affairs : Mon - Fri
Public Relations : Tue - Sat
ROFA Main Detachment : Mon - Thu

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:14 pm

"Clause C is very ambiguous. Requires a waiting check for what? I presume buying guns but it could easily refer to having a waiting period for the action required in clause B due to being below it. Besides, you know how some unsavoury delegations like to exploit things like this."
My pronouns are he/him.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:57 pm

Child Firearm Safety Act doesn’t create a blocker. It simply states that nothing in its resolution infringes – the affirmation is little more than a clarification.

EDIT: Okay, if I said that I affirm that nothing in my contract with you provides for the transfer of the title for your soles and soul to me, that means that nothing in my contract does that. That does not mean that nothing in any contract anywhere does that.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:55 am

"I must say that the 100 signatures signatures required to prevent someone from owning a gun is just a way for the unpopular people of society to have their rights restricted and seems rather tyrannical."
My pronouns are he/him.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:58 am

Kenmoria wrote:"I must say that the 100 signatures signatures required to prevent someone from owning a gun is just a way for the unpopular people of society to have their rights restricted and seems rather tyrannical."

"And definitely contradicts GA Resolution #399, clause 5."
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Ochea
Spokesperson

Founded: May 26, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ochea » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:36 am

Marjory Stoneman Douglas wrote:Reaffirming: This DOES NOT take away an individual's right to own a firearm

Marjory Stoneman Douglas wrote:a. If at any point, a person with one (1) or more "Yellow Flag(s)" receives a "Red Flag", they must have any/all firearms removed

(Emphasis mine)

This legislation can take away an individual's right to a firearm, yet you say that it cannot. I do not think it is a good idea to have such contradictory statements in your legislation.
Last edited by Ochea on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
——|★|—— World Assembly Delegate of Nesapo ——|★|——
International News: Pres. Storm continues trade embargo against Corumon | Corumon's economy continues to fail as the country tries to become communist
"People in power want to stay in power. People in control want to maintain control." - President Ryan Storm

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:34 pm

This is just ... ridiculous. 100 people to sign a petition? There are just so very many ways this could be horribly abused by a government.

"That speeding ticket is going to cost you 8 hours in jail, and loss of your guns"
"A jaywalker, huh? 12 hours in jail!"
"Your grass is longer than the maximum allowed. 3 days in jail!"

Sound silly? Those are incarcerations

"You want a gun?? That is an indicator for a latent violent personality disorder. We'll give you 72 hours in the mental hospital to get checked."

This whole thing is just so much simplistic twaddle that would no more effect on criminals doing criminal things than any other current law already does. I've heard it said that criminals tend to not obey laws. This is why "We have to Do Something!" rarely, if ever, does anything useful. Instead, the opposite it the general rule.

Reaffirming: This DOES NOT take away an individual's right to own a firearm

NoGo. This mess does exactly that.

"Oh, you still have the Right to own a firearms, but ... Oh No ... the background check says no you can't. And, whoopsy, you don't have 100 people willing to sign your little petition. Sorry, not sorry."

OOC: 100 signatures? I don't believe I even know 100 people locally.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:47 pm

Marjory Stoneman Douglas wrote:Reaffirming: This DOES NOT take away an individual's right to own a firearm

D. Prevents a firearm from being sold to any individual who has at least one (1) "Red Flag" attached to their name/record

a. If at any point, a person with one (1) or more "Yellow Flag(s)" receives a "Red Flag", they must have any/all firearms removed

Well, those don't contradict each other. :P
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:41 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:This is just ... ridiculous. 100 people to sign a petition? There are just so very many ways this could be horribly abused by a government.

OOC: Have you heard of a writ of debt? In the past, if you were sued for non-payment of some thing, and therefore owed money to someone, if you got 11 other compurgators, then you didn't need to pay.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:23 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:This is just ... ridiculous. 100 people to sign a petition? There are just so very many ways this could be horribly abused by a government.

OOC: Have you heard of a writ of debt? In the past, if you were sued for non-payment of some thing, and therefore owed money to someone, if you got 11 other compurgators, then you didn't need to pay.

OOC: So? Just because a bad idea has been done before does not make it any less of a bad idea when repeated. You totally missed my point, though, completely. Read my examples on how it could be abused. Also, big difference between 100 and 11. Everybody knows at least 11 people who will sign something. Very few know 100.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:25 am

Grays Harbor wrote:OOC: So? Just because a bad idea has been done before does not make it any less of a bad idea when repeated. You totally missed my point, though, completely. Read my examples on how it could be abused. Also, big difference between 100 and 11. Everybody knows at least 11 people who will sign something. Very few know 100.

Where did I say it was a good idea? There's a very legitimate reason why assumpsit actions become the predominant form of action for recovery of debts. It's just an interesting quirk in mediaeval English law.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Marjory Stoneman Douglas
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

[RE REVISED] Universal Background Checks & Waiting Periods

Postby Marjory Stoneman Douglas » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:26 am

Realizing: Many people who have violent criminal histories, violent behaviors, malicious intentions, and/or violent mental illness(es) have little to no difficulty when attempting to obtain firearms.

Defines:

1. Universal Background Check: A search of an individual through the "Universal Background Check System" to search for any "Red flags" attached to their name/record

3. Red Flag: A notification which appears on a "Universal Background Check" denoting the individual has been incarcerated for/committed for a felony relating to harm, death, or injury, has voilent mental illness(es) which can lead to misuse of the firearm and/or harm to themselves or others, has been reported to have violent behavior to other individual(s) and/or animals, and/or has been know to support/participate in violent terrorist groups and/or terrorism

4. Waiting Period: A time comprising of five (5) business days from when the individual attempts to purchase a firearm in which a "Universal Background Check" is performed

Hereby:

A. Creates a "Universal Background Check System" in all nations where one does not already exist

B. Requires a "Universal Background Check" to be performed on any individual wanting to purchase a firearm

C. Requires a "Waiting Period"

a. If at any point, an individual receives a “Red Flag”, who did not have one previously, they shall have their firearms legally taken from them
Last edited by Marjory Stoneman Douglas on Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly