NATION

PASSWORD

Supreme Court Could Cripple Public Unions

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
The Parkus Empire
Post Czar
 
Posts: 42997
Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Supreme Court Could Cripple Public Unions

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:32 am

The Supreme Court will hear arguments Monday in a case that could shrink government unions and their campaign war chests by as much as two thirds, with potentially devastating consequences for the Democratic Party in a competitive election cycle.

The case, Janus v. AFSCME, challenges the money that public unions representing teachers, firefighters, nurses and other government employees collect from non-members to cover their share of collective bargaining costs. Democratic candidates and causes rely on these unions for more than $100 million in contributions every election cycle, and for armies of workers dispatched to staff phone banks and canvass neighborhoods across the country.


https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2018 ... rms-423436

Thoughts on this? I am personally rooting for the plaintiff. It is perverse to force a non-member to pay union dues when such dues are often used to finance political parties or candidates. I understand that all workers in a public sector gain advantage from union bargaining, but here it is being applied to undermine democracy
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative ≠
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

User avatar
Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 59223
Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:39 am

I'll have to give it a more in depth read and offer a longer opinion later but from a quick glance I'd have to say I agree with the plaintiff here.
Last edited by Washington Resistance Army on Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
National Communist, anti-imperialist, political junkie, defense analysis fanatic, polytheist
LeftValues results
https://classunity.org/

User avatar
Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20487
Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:46 am

I'm big on unions, but I don't think you should have to pay into one you're not a member of.

User avatar
Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 59223
Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:15 am

Well after a bit more reading I fully expect the plaintiff to win this. There's already 4 votes solidly on the side of overruling the Abood decision and I believe that SCOTUS actually would have done this back in 2016 (based on Scalia siding with the majority in Harris v. Quinn) but Scalia died so it ended up being 4-4. With Gorsuch now on the court I expect this to be 5-4 with very strong dissents.

Ought to be interesting to see the political ramifications of this.
National Communist, anti-imperialist, political junkie, defense analysis fanatic, polytheist
LeftValues results
https://classunity.org/

User avatar
Sovaal
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13695
Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:11 am

Yah, I get it, Democrats don’t want this because it’s a big honey pot. But even that aside I don’t see why someone should pay fees for an organization they’re not a part of.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

User avatar
Apalacia
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 44
Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Apalacia » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:16 am

Hold on... Public unions force non members to pay dues???

Isn't that extortion?

No beuno.

User avatar
Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11147
Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:16 am

My take on it: compulsory union membership can be a thing, but only as long as prospective employees have a right of being informed about such policies, and union non-memberships can be grandfathered in.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

User avatar
Kramanica
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5369
Founded: Jan 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kramanica » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:06 am

Yeah, can't say I agree with non-members having to pay fees.
Running out of nation names faster than I can think of them
American National Syndicalist
"B-but gun control works in Australia..."

User avatar
Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 60919
Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:25 am

Fair enough on the plaintiff.

Petrolheadia wrote:My take on it: compulsory union membership can be a thing, but only as long as prospective employees have a right of being informed about such policies, and union non-memberships can be grandfathered in.


I'd prefer default membership and allowing them to resign.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

User avatar
Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11147
Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:27 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:Fair enough on the plaintiff.

Petrolheadia wrote:My take on it: compulsory union membership can be a thing, but only as long as prospective employees have a right of being informed about such policies, and union non-memberships can be grandfathered in.


I'd prefer default membership and allowing them to resign.

Whatever. Just inform the employees if they can be out of the union, and allow non-memberships to be grandfathered in.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 98840
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:34 am

I dont normally agree with anti union decisions but this one i do. If your not a part of the union why should you have to pay dues into it?

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 138142
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:35 am

San Lumen wrote:I dont normally agree with anti union decisions but this one i do. If your not a part of the union why should you have to pay dues into it?

Because you receive the pay and benefits that are negotiated by the union, whether you are a member or not.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

User avatar
MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23693
Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:40 am

You get the benefits, you pay the dues. This isn't about individual members, this is about providing a stronger front against management, and politics is part of that. Anyone who cares about workers will oppose this bullshit.

Alvecia wrote:I'm big on unions, but I don't think you should have to pay into one you're not a member of.

Then you're not big on unions.
Last edited by MERIZoC on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Benuty
Post Czar
 
Posts: 39228
Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:41 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
San Lumen wrote:I dont normally agree with anti union decisions but this one i do. If your not a part of the union why should you have to pay dues into it?

Because you receive the pay and benefits that are negotiated by the union, whether you are a member or not.

Right there is why I question why no one thought to have common sense. You do not give somebody incentives they want without having to work for it or not wanting it in the first place. Would it not make more sense to bait nonmembers in, and then like a venus fly trap close in on their victim?
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. My posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate. Participated in the former Roleplay Groups: Varsity Row, Thought Cafe, and the Pub. Supporter of a Free Tibet Christian Pacifist Christian Vegetarian

User avatar
Ors Might
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9837
Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Ors Might » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:43 am

You know, we have a word for forcing people to pay you money just so that they can safely make a living.

We call it extortion.
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

User avatar
Benuty
Post Czar
 
Posts: 39228
Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:44 am

MERIZoC wrote:You get the benefits, you pay the dues. This isn't about individual members, this is about providing a stronger front against management, and politics is part of that. Anyone who care's about workers will oppose this bullshit.

Alvecia wrote:I'm big on unions, but I don't think you should have to pay into one you're not a member of.

Then you're not big on unions.

Well perhaps next time something stupid is done it will be resolved like every else tries to do so they don't end up humiliated at the highest level.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. My posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate. Participated in the former Roleplay Groups: Varsity Row, Thought Cafe, and the Pub. Supporter of a Free Tibet Christian Pacifist Christian Vegetarian

User avatar
Ors Might
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9837
Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Ors Might » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:45 am

MERIZoC wrote:You get the benefits, you pay the dues. This isn't about individual members, this is about providing a stronger front against management, and politics is part of that. Anyone who cares about workers will oppose this bullshit.

Alvecia wrote:I'm big on unions, but I don't think you should have to pay into one you're not a member of.

Then you're not big on unions.

They can piss right off. No one’s forcing them to argue on my behalf and I don’t want to be forced to give up a portion of my pay so that they can give it to a political party I despise.
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

User avatar
Taihei Tengoku
Senator
 
Posts: 4851
Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:45 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
San Lumen wrote:I dont normally agree with anti union decisions but this one i do. If your not a part of the union why should you have to pay dues into it?

Because you receive the pay and benefits that are negotiated by the union, whether you are a member or not.

Net tax consumers are not barred from public roads. If unions provide public goods they should be prepared to deal with their goods being non-rivalrous and non-excludable.
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

User avatar
Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21608
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:45 am

In the UK, not only can unions not collect dues from non-members but also the share of the dues that's going for political purposes is clearly identified and union members individually have the right to opt out of that part.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

User avatar
MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23693
Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:46 am

Ors Might wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:You get the benefits, you pay the dues. This isn't about individual members, this is about providing a stronger front against management, and politics is part of that. Anyone who cares about workers will oppose this bullshit.


Then you're not big on unions.

They can piss right off. No one’s forcing them to argue on my behalf and I don’t want to be forced to give up a portion of my pay so that they can give it to a political party I despise.

Do you generally want more money/benefits?

User avatar
Taihei Tengoku
Senator
 
Posts: 4851
Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:48 am

MERIZoC wrote:
Ors Might wrote:They can piss right off. No one’s forcing them to argue on my behalf and I don’t want to be forced to give up a portion of my pay so that they can give it to a political party I despise.

Do you generally want more money/benefits?

tammany_hall.txt
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

User avatar
Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 76569
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:48 am

Ors Might wrote:You know, we have a word for forcing people to pay you money just so that they can safely make a living.

We call it extortion.

I thought we called it commerce.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

User avatar
Ors Might
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9837
Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Ors Might » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:48 am

MERIZoC wrote:
Ors Might wrote:They can piss right off. No one’s forcing them to argue on my behalf and I don’t want to be forced to give up a portion of my pay so that they can give it to a political party I despise.

Do you generally want more money/benefits?

I generally want more control over my money. If I can convince my boss to throw in a few benefits, great. But I refuse to pay membership fees just to be allowed to work.
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

User avatar
Ors Might
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9837
Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Ors Might » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:49 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Ors Might wrote:You know, we have a word for forcing people to pay you money just so that they can safely make a living.

We call it extortion.

I thought we called it commerce.

Unions are peak capitalism when?
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

User avatar
Benuty
Post Czar
 
Posts: 39228
Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:50 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Ors Might wrote:You know, we have a word for forcing people to pay you money just so that they can safely make a living.

We call it extortion.

I thought we called it commerce.

No that's only when you have a professionally trained army to back you up.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. My posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate. Participated in the former Roleplay Groups: Varsity Row, Thought Cafe, and the Pub. Supporter of a Free Tibet Christian Pacifist Christian Vegetarian

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Camtropia, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]

Advertisement

Remove ads