NATION

PASSWORD

Factbooks and character limits

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Ayanka
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Factbooks and character limits

Postby Ayanka » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:56 pm

I would like to know if there is any kind of character limit for factbooks. I've been writing a very, very long one for quite some time, and I'm worried that one day I might hit a character limit without knowing it exists.
Народная.Республика Аянка
The People's Republic of Ayanka
A bright red star at the edge of the world
[National Factbook]|[Flag]|[Map]

Trevion
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Trevion » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:59 pm

There IS a certain limit regarding the Factbook length. It just depends on how long this work of yours is. Not being a jerk, by the way, if the way I sound does make me have the look of one. Just wanting to help. :hug:

Ayanka
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayanka » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:06 am

Well, I already thought it was possible there was a character limit, but now I wanted to know where is that character limit set.

Ayanka
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayanka » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:58 pm

Bump? I'm still waiting for an answer. How many characters can factbooks have before hitting a character limit?

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:28 pm

You could always do what I just did and test it.

I make no promises of the accuracy of the test. I have no idea if Factbooks and Dispatches have different character lengths, or if Category makes a difference. I have no idea what formatting codes do to the total, as my text is entirely unformatted.

That said, I've posted a Dispatch → Meta → Reference called Length test: 14406 words, 97450 characters including spaces, 83274 excluding spaces. I can confirm that the Title is part of the character limit. I can't confirm that this number is exact, but it's accurate to a sentence or two. No idea which of the three numbers is controlling.
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ayanka
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayanka » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:50 am

Thanks for testing it. I also tested it trying to figure out some other things you mentioned that might be possible (formatting codes count and category makes no difference).
Apparently my factbook is at 23000 characters of hitting the character limit. I guess I'll have to divide it in two parts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You can lock the thread now.
Last edited by Ayanka on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Technical