NATION

PASSWORD

Timiocato terrorist attacks, 2018 (IC)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Pacitalia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 06, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Timiocato terrorist attacks, 2018 (IC)

Postby Pacitalia » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:24 pm

PBCNews

Sunday 14th January 2018
News > National
Gendarmerie Repubblicana have cordoned off the area around 21. Novembre metro station in Timiocato / Photo credit: APR

BREAKING: Blasts reported at Timiocato metro station
Police calling the incident suspicious and "very serious", a "multiple casualty event"

Reporting for PBC News
Egidio Farnetto

TIMIOCATO — Afternoon explosions have been reported at one of Timiocato's busiest metro stations, resulting in "multiple fatalities" and an extensive police cordon, PBC News has learned.

At least three blasts occurred underground at the 21. Novembre station in the Timiocato borough of Aquilina shortly before 3.00pm.

Witnesses report hearing an initial blast, followed by two stronger explosions a few seconds later. Police have blocked off a one-kilometre radius around the station and have closed the adjacent Rondello 21. Novembre, a major roundabout which contains the historic landmark Arco del Triunfo.

Police have not released an official statement but a source within the Gendarmerie Repubblicana says multiple bodies have already been recovered and that emergency services are treating hundreds of wounded. The GR are also reporting a partial collapse of the structure underground, with at least two station entrances now impassable. The explosions were strong enough to bring down the façades of a couple of nearby buildings and shatter storefront windows.

Smoke continues to billow out of ventilation shafts and station entrances and is reportedly so thick it has completely obscured the sun. Witnesses say it looks like the middle of the night in the area.

There is no word yet on the cause of the blasts, according to investigators, though speculation has immediately pointed to terrorism or to far-right supporters of former archonal candidate Carmine Bello, who fled the country in September.

The station is the fifth busiest in the Timiocato metro system and is a major connecting station. It handles over 10 million passengers a day between its eight subway and two commuter rail lines and runs under one of the Pacitalian capital's busiest shopping districts.

Prime Minister Maurizio Conte has declared a preliminary state of emergency in Capitale and PBC News is awaiting a statement. A press conference has been scheduled for 5.00pm.

More to come...

Image •• Commenting is disabled on this story413,622 people liked thisFind related news
Copyright © 2018 Pacitalian Broadcasting Corporationhttp://www.pbc.pc/news/national/331994141/
Pacitalian Republic
Repubblica Pacitaliana

RP population (est. May 2021): 414,440,614
Capital and largest city: Timiocato
Founding date: 21st November 1503
Archonate (head of state): Abeo Bamidele
Prime Minister (head of government): Damián Moya
Land area: 4,600,674 sq km
Official languages: Pacitalian, English nationally; Marqueríana (Spanish) and Empordán (Catalan) regionally
Location: On the continent of Foringana, southeast of Atlantian Oceania
Telephone calling code: +2
Internet TLDs: .pc, .rp

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarzonia » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:52 pm

It was Day 18 of collaborating on a piece detailing the implications of the Presidential Succession Act of 2018 for Travis West. Otherwise, things were pretty slow at the news desk of The Woodstock Daily Mail. With the election cycle in Sarzonia wrapped up and new people in their elected positions, there wasn't much for West to really work on.

He was spending most of his time delving into the reasons why the lieutenant presidency was not made the de jure head of government and was waiting on replies to his various voice mails, emails and text messages seeking comment from various Senators, Delegates, and political scientists. He'd tracked down one quote, but it wasn't nearly juicy enough for him to proceed much further with it.

He'd begun to despair that he would get anything more juicy than that when he decided to turn the station to the Sarzonian News Network. There was a commercial break, so he got up and grabbed two slices of pizza and a soft drink from the breakroom. He placed them on his desk and sat down. Before he could pick up a slice of pizza, he saw a telltale graphic that SNN always used to denote breaking news.

"This just in," said SNN anchor Petra Fostagna, her eyes betraying urgency despite her outward attempt to remain calm, "there've been multiple explosions at the 21. Novembre station in the Aguilina borough of Timiocato. Multiple fatalities have been reported."

West sat straight up in his seat and began frantically writing notes. He knew Fostagna well. She was born just outside Timiocato and immigrated to Sarzonia when she was six. Many years of training caused her to lose most of her Pacitalian accent, but in a high-pressure situation like this, hints of her birthplace could be heard in her detailing the explosion and the PBC reports pointing to acts of terror or to supporters of former archonal candidate Carmine Bello.

He immediately picked up the phone on his desk and began to dial the Gray House press office to reach his contact there. He set his computer up so he could record the quotes from the hastily-announced press conference where President Grant Haffner would announce Sarzonian support in the wake of the attack.

"West!" Clyde Barclay shouted. "Get on that explosion story in Timiocato!" Barclay was a grizzled old news editor who'd seen major news stories in two national capitals over a nearly 50-year career in newspapers. He knew this was going to be a story that would earn the Sarzonian equivalent of a Pulitzer Prize.

"Already on it!" West yelled back. He didn't catch Barclay's slight nod of approval. He was too busy listening in as the Sarzonian assistant press secretary announced Haffner's entrance into the press room.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the press corps," Haffner began. "Today, 14 January 2018, an act of terror has occurred at the 21. Novembre metro station in Timiocato. The death toll and the number of causalities is still coming in. We have every reason to believe this despicable act is a terrorist attack. However, we are not in a position to determine who is responsible for this.

"I offer the full support of Sarzonian law enforcement to the Pacitalian government and I want to assure everyone that we will do everything in our power to help bring the perpetrators to justice. Make no mistake: We will help root out the cowards who did this."

West noticed the lack of saying "we will bring them to justice." Even with the prison reforms and the less strident sentencing guidelines, the spectre of "Sarzonian justice" still sent shudders down the more left wing countries among Sarzonia's friends.

"I don't have any time for questions right now," the Sarzonian president said. "I have phone calls to make."

So, too, did West.
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Pacitalia
Chargé d'Affaires

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Pacitalia » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:07 pm

Directorate of Customs, Border Protection and National Security
of the Pacitalian Republic

The Honourable Signore Luca Bonaccorsi, Agustinate

Press Conference Transcript (Unofficial version, translated from Pacitalian)
Sunday 14th January 2018, 17:00, AOTC+0300

Agustinate Bonaccorsi: "Good afternoon, everyone, and thank you for coming. As you will no doubt appreciate, time and energy are of the essence right now, so I will be making a short statement and then opening the floor up for five to ten minutes of questions."

Bonaccorsi: "At approximately five minutes after three this afternoon, three timed explosions occurred in the concourse of the 21. Novembre metro railway station in central Timiocato. Although a Sunday afternoon, potentially reducing the loss of life due to the absence of commuter traffic, the station was still, as is the norm, very busy. At this time, I can confirm that all three explosions were a result of the deliberate detonation of improvised explosive devices that appear to have been concealed within sports equipment bags that were abandoned within the station. We are currently reviewing footage from security cameras to determine who left the bags and begin our search for the perpetrators in earnest."

Bonaccorsi: "I can confirm from a preliminary review of that footage that the bags were left behind or on top of vending machines or pay telephone booths in the station so as to avoid suspicion from passersby. In that first pass on the footage, we have not seen any passersby notice the abandoned bags; however, we are appealing to anyone that was inside the station in the two hours before the explosions to please contact police immediately if you witnessed or overheard anything you feel or felt was suspicious. I will be providing contact information to submit tips to police at the end of the statement."

Bonaccorsi: "As we are still trying to determine the origins of the explosives and retrace the movements of the perpetrators, we cannot confirm or deny the motives of the attackers at this time. We will, however, unequivocally and clearly state we believe these attacks to be the work of terrorists and we are concerned about further attacks at this time. As a result, we are temporarily expanding the state of emergency declared in Capitale by the Prime Minister two hours ago, to cover the entire country for at least seventy-two hours and until further notice. We ask citizens to cooperate with law enforcement as they continue their investigation and search."

Bonaccorsi: "I must also confirm, with great sadness, that the attacks resulted in multiple casualties. At this time, emergency services have reported at least one hundred and seven fatalities to my Directorate, and we believe that the number will rise as time goes on. Even with excellent care waiting for them at local hospitals, many victims are in grave condition and the outlook for them is not positive. I ask Pacitalians to hold victims and survivors, and their family and friends, in their thoughts. I also want to assure Pacitalians we are working tirelessly to see this through and we will not rest until we have located the perpetrators and brought them to justice. This act was deliberately intended to harm, to disrupt, to provoke the country, and to strike fear into our hearts and we will not abide it."

Bonaccorsi: "As I mentioned, we have set up contact points for people to report tips if, again, they saw or heard anything they feel was suspicious. Whether or not you were at the station, if you know something, you will be helping the investigation a great deal by submitting any information you may have. A universal phone hotline has been set up at 0876 77 66 55, available on fixed-line or mobile, to submit tips. Alternatively, people may visit the reporting site at www.cr.pc/report, or email tipi-tips@cr.pc."

Bonaccorsi: "I will now open the floor to questions."

Apostis Kyriakodonis, PBC News: "Agustinate, do investigators have any idea or theory at this point of who is to blame for the attacks?"

Bonaccorsi: "We do not wish to speculate on the culprits. I know there are many theories out there and I know people are demanding answers for what happened. It's simply too early for us to do so. We are working hard, as I said, to find out who did this. Until we are sure, we will not be party to speculation."

Latavia Marona, SNN: "Do you have any sort of evidence that lead to the speculation about terrorism or to Bello's supporters?"

Bonaccorsi: "Not at this time. We will continue to investigate all of the possibilities, but at this point it's too soon to know."

Alessandra Cammiti, Network 2: "Could you describe for us the nature of the investigation, who is involved and what roles they have in responding to the attacks?"

Bonaccorsi: "The Pacitalian Central Intelligence Commission has begun scouring sources for information. The Constabulario Repubblicana will proceed with investigatory work on the ground while the Gendarmerie Repubblicana will perform national guard duties, managing the cordon around the station, providing security for local residents and to preserve the investigation site, as well as enforcing any directives we make over the next forty-eight to seventy-two hours. We also have the Pacitalian Defence Forces on standby should we require their assistance, and Border Protection Special Force is on high alert at Pacitalian ports of entry to prevent flight by the perpetrators. They will all cooperate with my Directorate, which has been placed in charge of managing the investigation and recovery efforts. Lastly, I have been in contact with my colleague Pere Blanxart, the Agustinate of Health, to coordinate medical services efforts."

Cristina Fanche, Mandragora Guardian: "Several foreign governments have already issued comment on the attacks, including pledging assistance to Pacitalia. What message do you have for them?"

Bonaccorsi: "Well, of course, we wish to thank them for their generosity. It is reassuring, I think, to all Pacitalians to know that our friends and allies in the world are willing to help us and we are grateful for their offers of assistance. We have been and will be in contact with our counterparts across the world to coordinate with them and keep them apprised of the situation, including relevant intelligence-sharing."

Bonaccorsi: "Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, that's all the time I have for now. We will keep you up to date as more information comes in. Thank you. Thank you."
Last edited by Pacitalia on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pacitalian Republic
Repubblica Pacitaliana

Official languages: Pacitalian, English nationally; Marqueríana (Spanish) and Empordán (Catalan) regionally

Zimbezia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zimbezia » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:06 pm

"It was with a heavy heart that I received the news of the ghastly events that transpired in Pacitalia today. While the identity and the motives of the perpetrators are unknown, one thing is clear: Nothing justifies mass murder. The criminals and their accomplices are cowards, scoundrels, and an affront to all decent human beings everywhere. The people of Zimbezia, regardless of ideology, religion, or tribal affiliation, unequivocally condemn terrorism in every form. I ask all Zimbezian citizens to generously donate blood to the survivors of this horrible attack and to donate whatever they can to the widows, widowers, and orphans who lost their loved ones. The government of Zimbezia stands ready to offer whatever support Pacitalia needs. Doctors, rescue workers, and other personnel are ready to be deployed at a moment's notice if necessary. Zimbezian law enforcement and intelligence offer their collaboration in investigating this crime so the barbarians responsible can be brought to justice. In solidarity with Pacitalia, all Zimbezian flags will be flown at half-mast until further notice."

Lt. Gen. (ret.) Kipchoge Ruto
State President
United Republic of Zimbezia
RP population: 40,691,531

Jamhuri ya Muungano wa Zimbezia

Pacitalia
Chargé d'Affaires

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Pacitalia » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:43 pm

PBCNews

Tuesday 16th January 2018
News > National
Damián Moya's swearing-in has been delayed to Monday due to this week's terrorist attack / Photo credit: APR

Death toll now stands at 137 in Sunday bombings
Numbers may still rise as several injured remain in hospital in grave condition; Moya swearing-in delayed to Monday

Reporting for PBC News
Albertina Semperesta

TIMIOCATO — Officials have upgraded the death toll from Sunday's terrorist attack in the Timiocato metro system to 137.

Pacitalian authorities also say 1,868 people were injured in the trio of explosions in Timiocato's busy 21. Novembre station — of the wounded, 91 people remain in grave condition, with "roughly 30" of them not expected to survive their injuries, according to Prime Minister Maurizio Conte.

"Our hearts continue to grieve with the families, friends and loved ones of those we've lost and we pray for good news for those holding onto every bit of hope," Mr Conte Chirped Tuesday afternoon, shortly before his Agustinate of Border Protection and National Security, Luca Bonaccorsi, held a press conference to update the media and public.

"We cannot begin to imagine the pain and hurt you are feeling," the outgoing prime minister said.

Mr Conte was supposed to be replaced by incoming prime minister Damián Moya's new coalition government on Monday at a transfer-of-power ceremony in Timiocato. But the extraordinary events of Sunday have resulted in the official handover's delay to next week.

"In the interest of ensuring public safety and government effectiveness in response to the tragedy on Sunday, Prime Minister Conte and I quickly and mutually agreed that a delay in the transition to my government was the right thing to do," Mr Moya's office said in a statement. "In the meantime, I have offered him and his government unconditional support and will work closely with him to ensure the investigation is successful and effective."

Authorities say after "exhaustive review" of security camera footage inside the station and corroboration with sources and public tips, they are close to confirming the origins and identities of the perpetrators in Sunday's bombings, which partially collapsed the underground structure of the train station and sent thick, acrid smoke into the air for hours.

Mr Bonaccorsi still refused to say whether the attackers were separatists or far-right extremists, and assured reporters the government would comment when it was "one-hundred-percent certain".

"We have said since Sunday we will not speculate needlessly on a serious matter of national security," he said. "Once we are certain where these people came from, how they acquired the explosive devices, and what their motives were and are, we will be able to say."

Experts say the attackers were either Margherian separatists angry that the region's pro-independence party, Margherian Freedom and Solidarity, appeared to have "sold out the cause" to participate in the incoming coalition government, or far-right supporters of former archonal candidate Carmine Bello, who spent months inciting his supporters to violent action before fleeing the country.

Hundreds of Mr Bello's supporters embarked on damaging riots in Nortopalazzo after his defeat in the first round of August's archonal election, killing 11 people, injuring hundreds, and causing millions of doura of property damage in the historic centre of Pacitalia's second city. The first arrests of the riot ringleaders, along with charges of murder, occurred last month.

Meanwhile, emergency crews reported that at least 110 people were successfully rescued from the station's rubble after being trapped for up to 12 hours under tons of collapsed concrete and earth. Officials, including Mr Bonaccorsi, appealed for blood donations from Pacitalians and said the attacks served as a reminder that the country needed more organ donors.

Outrage is growing over an obscure 1946 law that prohibits blood, organ and tissue donation from outside Pacitalia. Proponents of the law have long justified it for "safety reasons" and "inconsistent custody standards" in other countries. The ban has long been controversial, though not a central point of debate until now.

Mr Bonaccorsi mentioned the law in response to the Zimbezian government offering to collect and send blood donations to Pacitalia to help in the recovery.

Critics are calling for Archonate Vittoria Agradossa to rescind the law at least temporarily to allow blood supplies to come into the country to help injured victims.

Ms Agradossa spent the day visiting victims in hospital to offer support and help rally the spirits of the survivors' families. On Monday, her office said she was "inundated" with phone calls from foreign leaders asking how they could assist the investigation and help in the recovery. Her office also said she had no comment "at this time" on the foreign blood ban.

The train tracks in 21. Novembre station were not affected by the bombings, but the station will remain closed until further notice. Service was restored overnight Sunday after police swept the station for further explosives and came up empty-handed. Metro and commuter trains have been passing through the station without stopping, operating at normal service levels since Monday morning. Commuters have been advised to use Piazza Repubblicana, Centrale and Provenciana stations as alternatives. Authorities have not offered any timetable on when the station will reopen.

Image •• Commenting is disabled on this story292,672 people liked thisFind related news
Copyright © 2018 Pacitalian Broadcasting Corporationhttp://www.pbc.pc/news/national/331994557/
Last edited by Pacitalia on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pacitalian Republic
Repubblica Pacitaliana

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:16 pm

Linda Carswell's confirmation as Surgeon General faced a lot of roadblocks. It wasn't that she wasn't a premier surgeon. She had served as the chief surgeon at Woodstock General Hospital and Portland's Mercy Hospital for a total of 16 years. Plus, she was an assistant chief surgeon at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore prior to emigrating to the Sarzonian colony prior to its independence.

She'd led the way for her staff doctors to implement medical advances that greatly improved the lives of millions of Sarzonians and foreigners whom they treated.

Her problem wasn't as a surgeon or with her staff. It was in playing the politics that a Cabinet official would sometimes have to play. She made an intemperate offhand remark at a party to now-House Moderate Leader Karyn Willingham that really upset her. Someone with a bit more candor would never have made the remark about Willingham's pants suit outfit.

Finally, House Government Committee chairman Herb Blankenship (Liberal - New Isselmere) invoked chairman's privilege to force his committee to an up or down vote. He knew he had the votes to bring Carswell's nomination to the full House floor in spite of Willingham's efforts to block it.

"Karyn, I'm the chairman of the committee and I have the right to force this vote," Blankenship said. "I think we need a full vote in the House. Up, down, I don't care. The point is, we need a Surgeon General sooner rather than later."

"If she's going to make a disparaging comment about me looking like a lesbian at a drag king show, what else could she do? Think about it. She's going to have the authority to chart a course for the nation's medical policy. Do you want someone who could be unstable in that position?"

Finally, the vote came in at 9-7 in favour of Carswell. The floor debate was nearly as contentious with Willingham attempting to stall the vote before House Speaker Clancy King (Moderate - Benatar) finally told Wittingham, "this objection you have is not on the merits of Carswell as a would-be surgeon general. This is a personal vendetta. That does not belong here in this Chambre."

"On the contrary," Wittingham said, "it has everything to do with her ability to do her job. One intemperate remark at the wrong time could set back Sarzonian medical policy decades."

"Bullshit!" King snapped.

"Mister Speaker!"

"We're having a vote. Call for consent, any objections?"

"Objection," Wittingham said, raising her voice noticeably higher than she normally needed to.

"Very well. Let's call for voice vote. All those who vote in favour of Dr. Carswell, say 'aye'." Those assembled who supported Carswell said, "aye!"

"All those opposed, say 'nay,'" Those opposed said "nay."

"The ayes have it," King said.

"Wait a minute!" Wittingham said. "I want a roll call vote!"

"Second!" King rolled his eyes when he realised it was Judy Cornwall. The New Conservative from Bausch now forced King to call for a roll call vote, a process that would add an additional three hours to count votes and tabulate them. After that protracted wait, King finally was able to announce the vote count.

"By a count of 178 to 171, Dr. Linda Carswell is hereby confirmed as Surgeon General of the Incorporated States. Congratulations, Dr. Carswell."

Shortly after she finished her speech on the floor thanking those who voted in her favour and vowing to gain the confidence of those who voted against her, she approached the House press room for questions. Besides the run of the mill questions about her background and her plans as the country's new Surgeon General, there was a question from a grizzled veteran reporter of the Brunswick Bugle.

"What do you make of Pacitalia's law prohibiting blood donations from foreign countries?" Carswell froze for a brief moment before gathering her thoughts.

"It's not Sarzonia's position to comment on the laws of foreign countries as they pertain to protecting their citizens from potential health threats," she said. "With that said, we look forward to the possibility of working with the Pacitalian government to help treat the victims and their families. The tragedy at the 21. Novembre station is one that has ripple effects throughout the region."

Zimbezia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Zimbezia » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:29 pm

It would strike many as odd that an emergency Cabinet session would be called over a relatively trivial law, especially a relatively trivial foreign law, but Zimbezians were fiercely sensitive to perceived discrimination (even if the intent was not discriminatory); when news reached Zimbezia that blood supplies from outside Pacitalia were prohibited by the latter country, much of the public reacted with incredulity, shock, even outrage.

Candlelit vigils and solidarity marches for the victims quickly gave way to much larger crowds that were in no mood for solidarity. The protests were peaceful, but the mood was vindictive and ugly. Throngs of thousands of angry Zimbezians, most of them under the age of thirty, picketed Pacitalian businesses, held up traffic, and carried placards bearing such slogans as SHAME ON PACITALIA, DOWN WITH PACITALIAN WHITE SUPREMACY, and other, more...colorful messages. Tempers flared, but no arrests were made, although police did keep a close eye on things.

Polls showed that more than 95% of Zimbezians objected to Pacitalia's ban on blood donations from foreign countries; 73% attributed the ban to "racist motives."

Former State President George Ndereba said it was "a slap in the face to the Zimbezian people who wished only to help their fellow man." In a rare display of anger for the former head of state, Ndereba said, "We are a developed country with a developed infrastructure, a health care system that is the envy of many, and rigorous safety standards that are up to par with Pacitalia's. For them to treat us like an impoverished, disease-ridden basket case smacks of racist condescension."

Leader of the Opposition Abubakar Banyikwa was even more forthright in his condemnation of Pacitalia's "archaic, immoral, racialist" law. "Is it because we are black?" Mr.Banyikwa had rhetorically asked reporters. "More than 62% of our people are indigenous Africans. If we were a European nation, undoubtedly the Pacitalians would be flocking to receive our blood."

At any rate, hoping to quell the growing clamor in order to avoid a diplomatic incident, the Prime Minister advised the State President, Kipchoge Ruto, to call an emergency Cabinet meeting. After almost three hours of deliberating, pontificating, and sometimes shouting, the Prime Minister persuaded the other Ministers to reach a compromise: The Government of Zimbezia would release a statement guardedly criticizing the Pacitalian law, while affirming that the other offers of aid (first responders and the like) would still stand.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the press, no doubt you are as anxious as many of our fellow Zimbezians to hear how my government will respond to the," Prime Minister Ali Mohamed Karume began, before pausing. He wanted to choose his words carefully. "...the controversy regarding the Pacitalian law. Well, we have always believed in the right of all nations to self-determination, including the right to decide their own laws. But as questionable as this law may be, I do not wish to attribute it to malice, racial or otherwise. I understand that many people's feelings are hurt. But I ask my fellow countrymen to respect Pacitalia and Pacitalians. Continue to demonstrate if you wish. We are a free and democratic country. But do not let your anger over the law cloud your judgment. Human beings are suffering. They deserve our compassion. To the Pacitalian people and government, let me say that while I disagree with the law in question, I do not want it to be a hindrance to better relations between our countries. Our offer of support still stands. We hope that you will accept it."
Last edited by Zimbezia on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pacitalia
Chargé d'Affaires

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Pacitalia » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:56 pm

ARCHONATVS • IMPERIATOR • RES PVBLICA • PACITALIANA

Lt. Gen. (Ret'd.) Kipchoge Ruto, State President
The Right Honourable Dr. El-Hajj Ali Mohamed Karume, Prime Minister

Parliament House
Githunguri, Zimbezia

Friday 19th January 2018

Dear Sirs,

I wish to begin this letter by expressing, on behalf of all Pacitalians, gratitude for the manner in which you and the Zimbezian people have responded to the terrorist attacks which afflicted our capital last weekend. I know that I speak for the entire Republic when I say that your friendship to Pacitalia, both on this matter and in general, is greatly valued.

The purpose of this correspondence is to address the matter of Pacitalian law S1 F304 1946-06, Regulatory Directive on Foreign Sources of Biological Products and Medical Biomaterials. I acknowledge the existence of this law has not only presented an obstacle to an aspect of your aid efforts, but that the law itself is controversial and has generated widespread negative sentiment in Zimbezia.

The law was written based on the evidence presented by medical professionals in an era where medical standards between countries were not consistent. The panel believed there was a high risk of transmitting disease through blood, plasma and other biologics coming from outside Pacitalia. Parliament had a duty to accept the recommendations given at the time, as is still the case today. There is nothing to suggest the law, as interpreted and agreed upon by the politicians of the day, was based on racial prejudices, though I have been told that one of the members on the panel did hold favourable views of supremacism and eugenics, a revelation that is of great disappointment to me. Permit me to be unequivocally clear — if we have allowed the views of this individual to affect legislation in bad faith, we owe the world an apology.

This is not meant in any way as an explanation of the law, or a justification of it. Given the advances of modern medicine, I am sure we are in total agreement that many of the issues that may have concerned our countries' respective parliamentarians in the 1940s are no longer an issue. I personally do not agree this law should exist, nor do, I believe, the majority of Pacitalians, many of whom were not even aware it existed. While I have been called upon to rescind the law on at least a temporary basis to facilitate the provision of medical aid efforts from our allies and friends, I, unfortunately, do not have this authority.

Upon the seating of our new parliament, I will be advising the incoming Prime Minister and his government to table a bill to the effect of amending the law to remove the subject language or repealing it in its entirety. I expect him to be fully in favour of doing so.

Once again, please accept my deepest and most sincere gratitude for the generosity you and the people have Zimbezia have shown Pacitalia. It is my hope that the friendship between our two countries and peoples may continue to strengthen — and that you understand the kindness you have shown has not gone unnoticed.

Sincera in domina bene,

Her Excellency
Vittoria Agradossa
Archonate of the Pacitalian Republic
Pacitalian Republic
Repubblica Pacitaliana

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Postby Sarzonia » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:13 pm

The morning after a hectic first week on the job that included what seemed like a million press conferences and interview requests, not to mention countless meetings with members of Parliament, Linda Carswell decided to take a trip to the office on Saturday morning.

She knew most of the office workers would not be there. She figured most of the activity would be the custodial workers cleaning bathrooms and emptying trash from the few brave souls who dared venture to the office after a snowstorm dumped 20 centimetres of snow on the ground. Woodstock City Council adjourned without passing a continuing resolution to fund the city's Public Works Department with enough money to pre-treat the roads over the weekend, and the people who ventured out on the roads found them to be a dysfunctional mess.

A sharply-worded reprimand from President Grant Haffner to the Mayor and City Council Chairwoman led to an emergency session where they approved the needed funds to get the plows and salt trucks out in force, but without the normal practice of pre-treating the roads, they were much more dangerous than they usually were.

The city sent out an announcement asking that all non-essential travel be canceled so that the plows and salt trucks could do their work. They also implemented a snow emergency plan that would penalise people who didn't shovel their driveways or sidewalks within a 24-hour period unless they were determined to be unable to do so.

It was this backdrop that led Carswell, who fortunately drove a 2018 Peruzzi Paisano she'd just bought to celebrate her confirmation as Surgeon General to navigate the roads to her new office. She figured with a minimum of distraction, she could actually get some work done. She'd barely even seen the inside of her office since she started the job. Now, she was going to spend some quality time there, at least until the roads started becoming less treacherous.

She walked into the office and saw a single envelope sitting on her desk. She raised her eyebrow, picked up the envelope, then opened it. Inside was a letter addressed to her from Pacitalian archonate Vittoria Agradossa explaining Pacitalia's intent to repeal its law prohibiting blood donations from foreign countries. She sat back in her comfortable leather chair, which was a custom built Delaclav design, reading the letter carefully. She fired up her computer with her PIV card, then sent an email to the state health directorates asking them to prepare blood drives for donations to Pacitalians in need.

She also placed a phone call and left a voicemail message for Deputy Senior Vice President for Foreign Aid Norman Foxworth to ask him to coordinate relief efforts for victims of the terror attacks. Deputy Attorney General Dena Clayton-Barnes was the next contact for Carswell. To her surprise, Clayton-Barnes was in the office and answered her secretary's phone.

"Dena! it's Linda, the new surgeon general."

"Hi Dena! I'm surprised you're in the office today."

"I got stuck last night when the snow hit. I'm surprised you're here."

"I have a Peruzzi Paisano. It's great on the snow."

"I need to get one. What have you got?"

"I just left a message for Norm to ask him to help coordinate relief efforts. I wanted to get in touch with you to see what your thoughts are about Pacitalia possibly repealing its law prohibiting blood donations from foreign countries."

"On the record," Dena said as she watched a reporter turn her back to her and start asking questions of other staff in the building, "we don't comment on internal matters in other countries we're allied or on friendly terms with. Off the record," she said as she stepped out from behind her chair and walked to her office door to close it, "it's about fucking time."

Carswell nodded.

"What about you, Linda? This policy's definitely more up your alley to comment on."

"Long story short, I feel the same. Including about the part where we don't comment publicly on other countries and their policies," she said. No matter how draconian they seem. She knew Bryan Conway would likely offer a tepid endorsement of the plan to repeal the law. She knew Grant Haffner would likely not say much, if anything. Even though she was new to the job, she and Haffner had been friends for a long time.

The two also discussed Dena's directive from Conway to offer assistance to Pacitalian investigators of the terrorist attacks before agreeing to get together for lunch at Crusty Carl's on Monday. After a full day of work, Carswell smiled when she heard the radio report that road conditions were now safe to resume normal activity.

Zimbezia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Zimbezia » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:35 pm

Official Statement of the Government of the United Republic of Zimbezia

First of all, on behalf of the State President and the Cabinet, let me again offer my deepest and most heartfelt sympathies about what happened. I have authorized the Zimbezia Police Force and the Central Intelligence Organization to lend their full cooperation to the investigation, so that the perpetrators, their accomplices, and anyone else who may have participated, directly or indirectly, in the attack can be brought to justice.

The recent comments by former State President Ndereba and by the Leader of the Opposition do not reflect the opinion of the Government. Several members of Mr. Banyikwa's own party have reprimanded him for his tasteless remarks. As for Mr. Ndereba, he has personally called me to offer an apology on his behalf. I quote: "My comments were hasty, ill-informed, and ill-timed. I admit that I should have studied the background and history of the law before voicing my opinion, and at any rate, it was quite thoughtless of me to criticize another country in the midst of a crisis. For that, I apologize."

Thankfully, the protests have begun to taper off. No Pacitalian expatriates were harmed in any way, and Pacitalian places of business suffered only minor damage. The culprits have been arrested and will pay full restitution for the damages caused.

I thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to offer your explanation and to thank us for our support. I will take it upon myself to address the Nation and explain things to the people, so that cooler heads will prevail. Fortunately, the vast majority of Zimbezians have an unfavorable view of the protests, and once things have been explained, I am certain that even the most stubborn of the protesters will concede that they were wrong. At any rate, it is our pleasure to aid a fellow nation in its hour of need.

Dr. El-Hajj Ali Mohamed Karume MP
Prime Minister and Minister of Finance and Economic Planning

Pacitalia
Chargé d'Affaires

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Pacitalia » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:01 pm

...and as investigators continue to determine the origin of the explosives, it seems they’re no closer to finding out who was behind last week’s attacks – at least, that’s what we’re being told. Niles?”

“The PBC’s Apostis Kyriakodonis live outside the Prado for us. Apostis, thank you.”

“So are we safe or not? You said we would be safe.”

The man in the leather chair started, unaware there was anyone else in the room. He clicked the remote to turn off the television, a good fire crackling away in the fireplace, and turned around to look. He furrowed his brow, flecked with gray and white hair, but was otherwise expressionless.

“What are you worried about?” he asked.

“It’s been a week,” the younger man responded. “We still haven’t left the country. You said – and C–”

The man put up his hand and interjected. “Don’t do that. Don’t worry. I told you it would be fine... everything will work out. We’ve done our part.”

The younger man fidgeted, absentmindedly adjusting his worn corduroy belt and inspecting his fingernail beds. He wouldn’t meet the older man’s gaze, his eyes trained on the dusty wooden floor.

The older man strolled to the kitchen and lit the pilot on the stove. He grabbed some tea from the cupboard and a couple of mugs, filled the chipped white enamel kettle with water, and placed it on the stove. He pointed to the kitchen table.

“Sit down.”

The younger man reluctantly obliged, letting out a slow but audible sigh.

He looked up to see the older man staring at him intently — his expression neither warm nor cold, but, oddly, reassuring.

“I need you to trust me, primo.”

The younger man gently scoffed. “Trust you?! We’ve been stuck in this ski chalet in the middle of nowhere for the last week. We should have been halfway to Calania within 24 hours. He promised both of us he would personally take care of us. I don’t think you’ve talked to him since... or maybe you have. The point is all this waiting is making me think he’s going to let us take the fall.”

Again, the older man put his hand up looking for silence. “Primo...” he started, then paused, carefully weighing out what to say. “The reason we haven’t left Pacitalia yet is very simple. The state of emergency is still in place. The borders are pretty much sealed. It’s too risky to try to leave now. So we agreed—”

“We?”

“Yes... Don Carmine and I agreed we should wait until the investigation slows down before he helps us escape. I’m taking care of it, all right? Please stop worrying. They have no reason to suspect us. We covered our tracks very well. If they knew more, they’d be breathing down our necks already.”

The younger man was silent for a moment. He looked up at the older man again and grinned.

“What’s so funny?”

“You saw all the news about speculation it was separatists or Bello supporters behind the bombing,” the younger man chuckled. “I can’t wait for the authorities to find out it was both. They’re going to shit themselves.”

They shared a brief laugh, interrupted by the whistling of the kettle. Outside, the cold wind howled down the side of the mountains, blowing snow against the side of the chalet. Secure inside were the two men, comforted by the knowledge the police were still – figuratively and literally – thousands of miles away.
Last edited by Pacitalia on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pacitalian Republic
Repubblica Pacitaliana

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents