NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Future Tech Free Use Index (Open)

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
Neornith
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

NationStates Future Tech Free Use Index (Open)

Postby Neornith » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:28 pm

Hello, fellow player, and welcome to the NationStates Future Tech Intelligent Species Free Use Index. The intent and purpose of this thread is to create a repository of the various intelligent alien species that inhabit the Galaxy. Users that post here are indicating they are willing to allow other players to use their species as they desire. This thread is for intelligent species only; intelligence is defined here as sentient, sapient, or otherwise sophont.

First and foremost, this thread is intended for original, player created intelligent species only and not for canonical species from existing works or publications. Examples include but are not limited to Orks, Zerg, Klingon, Nekos, Twi'leks, and Vulcans.

By posting your species you are agreeing to surrender the right to your species so that others may use them in whatever manner they desire.

Users who are submitting a species are to use the provided form below. Please provide clear and concise write-ups to lessen any confusion as well as provide a clear view into your species lifestyles and their culture. Longer is better in this instance. Again, please do not submit humans or species from other settings. They will not be accepted.

Please do not copy any species here, it is entirely unnecessary as these species are free for everyone to use. Please do not rip off someone else's existing species and post them here either, moderation will be notified of the plagiarism and the offending user will have all submissions of theirs removed and no new submissions accepted.

Please do not post OOC questions and discussion here, this thread is for submissions only. If you have questions please feel free to TG me and I will answer as fast as I can.
Last edited by Neornith on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Neornith
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Species Free Use Index

Postby Neornith » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:29 pm

Submissions are to adhere to NationStates’ rules of conduct. Submissions that do not adhere to standards of quality will not be accepted; users will be asked once to rewrite their submission. If the second submission is not up to expectations, it will be deleted.

General Information

Species:

Account Name:

IC Nation of Origin

Physical Information

Physical Characteristics: An in-depth description is strongly advised here; start from the top and work towards the bottom. Please include average height and average weight as well. Although I do honestly prefer players use words to paint their species, if a picture can be provided, it is acceptable.

Biology This is separate from physical description. Things such as their diet, any unique biological characteristics such as being able to regrow limbs, biological abnormalities, special organ systems, etc?

Common Augmentations: Does your species routinely augment themselves though organic or inorganic means, and if so, what forms are common?

Preferred Environment(s): What environment(s) does your species thrive in?

Cultural and Historical Information

History: A brief overview of the history of the species, including defining political entities and their planet(s) of origin (or “homeworld”).

Known Locations: How common is your species across the Galaxy and are there any quadrants they're more concentrated in?

Defining Cultural Characteristics: What makes your species culture unique and special from the multitude of other species in the Galaxy?

Ethnicities: Is there more than one ethnicity within the species and, if so, how do they interact? Are there any divisions amongst them?

Common Philosophies: Does your species have a prominent philosophy or are there multiple philosophies? A brief overview here is acceptable, links to factbooks regarding your philosophy/philosophies are also acceptable; this does include religion as well.

Attitude(s) and Disposition(s): Is the species aggressive or assertive? Does it value, on average, peace and pacifism over conflict? Do members of the species often get into conflict with differing species? This is different from “Common Philosophies” and may include certain prejudices, biases, or common attitudes and dispositions which may be otherwise disconnected from ethnic, political, and philosophical currents.

Code: Select all
[b][u]General Information[/u][/b]

[b]Species:[/b]

[b]Account Name:[/b]

[b]IC Nation of Origin: [/b]

[b][u]Physical Information:[/u][/b]

[b]Physical Characteristics:[/b]

[B]Biology:[/b]

[b]Common Augmentations:[/b]

[b]Preferred Environment(s):[/b]

[b][u]Cultural and Historical Information[/u][/b]

[b]History:[/b]

[b]Known Locations:[/b]

[b]Defining Cultural Characteristics:[/b]

[b]Ethnicities:[/b]

[b]Common Philosophies:[/b]

[b]Attitude(s) and Disposition(s):[/b].
Last edited by Neornith on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Neornith
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Frequently Asked Questions

Postby Neornith » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:31 pm

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the ‘Future Tech Free Species Index?
- The Future Tech Free Species Index is an Out of Character listing of player created species for free In-Character usage.

What does Free Use mean, and how does it apply here?
- Free Use means content in this thread is available for any and all players to use without seeking permission of the content creator beforehand.

Hey! That guy is using a species I posted here, but I never said he could! Why is he doing that?
- By adding a species to this list, you, the content creator, have hereby surrendered your rights to the species being used.

This guy is using my species in a way I didn’t want them too, what can I do?
-By posting your species here you are saying that people can use your species as they desire, if you think you might have a problem with that I suggest not posting your species here.

My race is an evolved version of humans, are they ok to post here?
- There is a fine line here, they have to be evolved to the point where they are no longer considered humans, that procreation between them and humans is unviable without scientific assistance.

My species resembles an existing published species, are they ok to still post?
- If your species is nothing more than a direct ripoff where the only thing that's been done is their culture has been retooled or their physical description has been tweaked then no. However it is hard to make an original without inadvertently making a race resemble an existing published species. This is fine so long as it resembles the existing species as loosely as possible

Are these species the only options I have?

- No, as always players are allowed to ask others if they can use their species through TG or create your own. What this thread does is let players know that there are options available besides humans or published species.

What sort of creatures can I post here

- The Free Use Index is intended only for intelligent species, as stated before this means only sapient or sentient creatures that are capable of complex thinking.

I don't feel like having my species posted here anymore, how do I have them removed?

- Simply send me a TG telling me you longer wish for them to be on the list and I'll have them removed, however there are still going to be people that are using said species.

I need help with developing my species!

- As always the FT Advice & Assistance Thread is available for questions from people and everyone there is happy to help with any questions you might need assistance with.
Last edited by Neornith on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Neornith
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Neornith » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:32 pm

ABC

As'i -contributed by Novus Outremer
Last edited by Neornith on Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Neornith
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Neornith » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:35 pm

JKL

Kocha contributed by The Kocha
Last edited by Neornith on Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neornith
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Neornith » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:35 pm

MNO

Narsitho - contributed by Neornith
Last edited by Neornith on Fri May 01, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Neornith
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Neornith » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:37 pm

STUV

Velutarian - contributed by Glorious Terran Empire
Last edited by Neornith on Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Neornith
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Neornith » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:38 pm

WXYZ

Xerion, contributed by Lycana
Last edited by Neornith on Mon May 11, 2015 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neornith
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Neornith » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:41 pm

This is sort of a quick credits post as I feel it necessary to give thanks to people that have helped me, I know most these people by their IRC nicknames from #NSLegion on Esper and some from #nationstates on Gamesurge

Again, I can't thank Kyrusia enough, he put up with and endless stream of questions from me and was crucial in helping me develop this. (Also thank you for the banner for the title)
Voc was essential to the start of the FAQ portion and I am indebted to him for his help there.
Grat's assistance was also very appreciated with asking questions and developing the first incarnation of this.
Maltropia for helping with cleaning up my grammar amongst other things
Sunset, Alakantar, and Voc again for helping my realize the first incarnation was a terrible idea and that the current incarnation is what it should have been all along.

Heliocalypse, Xiscapia, Vipra, Eluvator, Kost, and everyone else from Legion I may have forgotten and that offered support for this thank you all for helping out with this so much.
Last edited by Neornith on Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Neornith
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Neornith » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:42 pm

Sample Species Submission

General Information

Species: Narsitho

Account Name: Neornith

IC Nation of Origin: Swamlia

Physical Information:

Physical Characteristics: Narsitho have a large squat head with two bulbous eyes that sit on top, Their mouth is toothless and spreads across the width of their face. Their overall physique can be described as somewhat chubby and nearly every individual lacks any muscle definition in their torso due to their skin appearing thick and rubbery. Their fingers are long and slender with a small suction cup at the end of each digit and a small webbing connecting each finger. Their arms are also long and thin looking as well in stark contrast to their pudgy midsection. The legs are powerfully built for jumping long distances as well as swimming and their toes are also connected by a thin webbing. Coloration can vary due to habitat but the most common back colors are differing shades of green but there is known to be shades of brown amongst some races. Most races however retain the dirty white underbelly color. Average height is around 5ft (1.5m) and average weight is generally between 120 lbs to 140 lbs (54 kg to 63.5 kgs)

Biology: The Naristho are primarily insectivores but they are not above eating meat if necessary. Naristho have a long tongue that they use to grab food with and retract into their mouth. They have some limited regrowth ability, though this is limited to internal organs, skin, and muscle tissue and not bones. Their internal organs are similar to a humans in function and organization. The Naristho are capable of breathing air and water equally well. Naristho are also egg layers with typical hatches numbering no more than three in general. In what is equal to seven months of Galactic Standard Time, Naristho are confined to water until their ability to breath air is developed. They are also quick to physically develop, becoming adults in what is equal to thirteen years Galactic Standard Time and their average life expectancy generally not exceeding forty five equivalent Galactic Standard Years.

Common Augmentations: Augmentation is not generally practiced amongst the Naristho although lost limbs can be and are often regrown and grafted onto them.

Preferred Environment(s): Naristho are most comfortable in semi aquatic areas that have a decent supply of freshwater and are humid. Naristho tend to reside in tropical temperature zones.

History: Naristho were mostly a primitive tribal society until the more advanced Delundar colonized their territory and enslaved them. The following centuries saw the Naristho being used for primarily slave labor and menial tasks. The Naristho waited patiently though, for over a millennia they toiled at the feet of the Delundar. Once their overlords took to the stars the Naristho dutifully followed. And when the opportunity was right the Naristho struck against their masters, and those that were aboard starships rose up in rebellion. Freeing themselves from their oppressors those that could scattered amongst the stars. The Naristho have tried to settle down and return to their simple existence that their ancestors once knew. There has never been any major political entities of note for the Naristho.

Known Locations: Originating in the Delta Quadrant, after escaping the Naristho primarily fled towards Gamma Quadrant but there are known to be a few isolated populations in Beta Quadrant.

Defining Cultural Characteristics: Naristho are generally communal in nature with families living together until the males reach what is considered adulthood. Once they are of age, they are required by tradition to seek out a bride and once joined by ceremony they move into their bride's family's home. They also educate their own offspring, years of servitude and oppression had forced the Naristho to teach in secrecy and the tradition has carried on even though they are free. They also retain a strong oral tradition as this was how their history was passed from generation to generation

Ethnicities:
There are three primary races amongst the Naristho a dark green back, an olive green back, and a emerald green back, relations amongst the races are peaceful as their time in slavery had united them against a common foe.

Common Philosophies: Before being conquered the Naristho worshipped the earth and water, with water being the mother of their species and the earth being the father of their species. Water was generally considered to be warmer and more protective because the Naristho spend their what would be considered their infant to toddler stage confined to water. Earth is generally considered more strict of the environments as the elements as well as most predators originated from the earth. In ancient times water was seen as the protector as well from when large predators stalked the Naristho and they fled to the safety and comfort of water. Earth is also considered the provider as most of the food for the Naristho consume comes from the earth.

Attitude(s) and Disposition(s):. In general the Naristho are a reclusive and isolationist species that prefers to be left alone. This does not mean they are timid by any means, when the Naristho are threatened they can be fierce warriors to protect theirs and their family's freedom and lives.
Last edited by Neornith on Mon May 11, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lycana
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lycana » Mon May 11, 2015 9:42 pm

General Information

Species: Xerion

Account Name: Lycana

IC Nation of Origin: Xeverius Empire

Physical Information:

Physical Characteristics: The Xerion are a canid type species, they have long luscious white fur, their bottom legs are humanoid but their feet are similar canine’s paw. They have a long tail covered in thick, long fur. Similarly there body and arms are also human like, with their arms ending into hands that have three fingers and two thumbs with claws at the end of their fingers. Their head resembles that of a coyote with sharp pointed triangular ears on top of their head, primary eye colors are yellow, brown, and hazel. The Xerion on average are 5’0” ft tall (1.5m) and weigh 100lbs (45kg)

Biology: The only biology features of note for the Xerion are their exceptional smell and hearing which are to be expected from a species with canine origins. Pups are usually born two to three in a litter on average but four pup litters are not unheard of. Their only other noteworthy feature is their voracious appetite, Xerions are well known to be able to eat half their body weight in one sitting and then be able to again do it only a few hours later, despite their appetites they are capable of fasting for extended periods if necessary although their physical capabilities are severely hampered. The average life expectancy of the Xerion is roughly sixty Galactic Standard Years.

Common Augmentations: Due to their aggressive and warlike nature the Xerion readily accept mechanical augmentations to their body, while partial conversions that consist of the hands, legs, or both being converted are the most popular, full conversion Xerion cyborgs are common.

Preferred Environment(s): The Xerion are most at home in a boreal forest biome that is a temperate temperature, urban environments are also comfortable to the Xerion

History: The Xerion in their prehistoric days competed with two other evolving species, being faster and more viscious than the two larger and gentler species they competed against gave the Xerion the advantage and they eventually consumed the other two. The Xerion remained a fractured and multitude of states for centuries likely because of their bellicose nature that saw them at odds with each other constantly, nations seemed to rise up only to be swept away by another in the blink of an eye. The Xeverius Empire was the first nation to show anything resembling stability and it slowly grew and consumed the other nations on its homeworld through either negotiations or outright conquest until the entire world was under the control of the Xeverius Empire. During this enlightened time the Xerion spread to the stars and before long old habits resurfaced and again the Xerion became at odds with themselves with large numbers of the Xerion either claiming independence from the Empire or outright leaving the confines of the Xeverius Empire’s holdings and wandering amongst the stars

Known Locations: Originating in Beta the Xerion have spread into Delta and Alpha during their exodus.

Defining Cultural Characteristics: Despite their belligerence the Xerion are very family orientated, family units are led by the oldest male and female pair in the home, divorce between the two is considered scandalous in nature and is extremely rare as is infidelity.

Ethnicities: There are no known ethnicities in the Xerion species

Common Philosophies: The primary belief amongst the Xerion is the Spirit of the Chase. The main tenet behind the philosophy is that anything unarmed is allowed a reasonable chance to escape from their Xerion pursuers, being caught generally means being eaten by the gluttonous Xerion. There are several known offshoots of the Spirit of Chase but none are prominent enough to note here.

Attitude(s) and Disposition(s):. The Xerion are generally very aggressive in nature and are known to attack at the slightest provocation.

Glorious Terran Empire
Envoy

Founded: Jan 11, 2017
Iron Fist Socialists

Years Ago This Topic Was Trending... Now it's a Ghost Thread

Postby Glorious Terran Empire » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:50 pm

Kyrusia wrote:*Kyrusia dons his Modly-shaped hat.*

RP boards have relaxed gravedigging restrictions. For F&NI, especially for index/repository/survey threads like that, you're kosher. ;)

General Information

Species: Velutarian

Account Name: Glorious Terran Empire

IC Nation of Origin: Galactic Velutarian Empire

Physical Information: The Velutarians are a mostly-aquatic humanoid species with six-digit hands and feet that have a retractable webbing for both swimming and grasping, as well as both gills and lungs to store and process oxygen.
They stand, upright, at an average of 1.95 meters for females of the Noble subspecies, and 1.7 meters for females of the Plebeian subspecies. Weight is around 70 kgs for females of Noble and Plebeian averages are 65 kgs.
With an average of 1.82 meters height for males of the Noble subspecies, and 1.72 for males of the Plebeian subspecies. Weight average for Noble males averages at 75 kgs, with an average 68 kgs for Plebeians.
Their skin coloration varies almost as much as the minor differences between members of the two subspecies. This differentiation by subspecies has led to a caste system:
The "Noble" subspecies, the current minority and ruling ethnic group, is denoted most obviously by the hair-like prehensile appendages which are a triple-function, object/food manipulation, fat-storage and as a mating attraction. Another giveaway is the sharper intellect, problems solving, social-thinking and increased physical aspects when compared to all but the most physically fit Plebeian subspecies. In addition to this, the Noble subspecies are the only subspecies capable of golden eyes
The "Plebeian" Subspecies is denoted by fins at the side of the head, the lack of float sacks, and height disparity of nearly 25%

Physical Characteristics:
The height disparity between the sexes is due to the fact that the males have more pronounced float-sacs in their shoulders and neck regions that deflate on land, translating to a longer length when swimming, but shortening when on land. These float sacs have the primary purpose of depth control, guarding the Velutarian from sinking to dangerous pressures in their slumber underwater. These sacs reflexively deflate when exposed to open air, however, a majority of Velutarians have a threat-defense mechanism that causes the sacs to inflate with a yellow bio-luminescent fluid. This threat-defense mechanism is also used to display aggression to each other, much like a human's face turning red with blood circulation when enraged or frustrated.

Biology: Their skin tone varies most often between a light violet and a deep indigo, with the deepest indigo colors being a rarity, typically descended from those whom are adapted to the harshest conditions of the abyss regions on Velutaria Prime. Their eye colors only have two distinctions, blue eyes being the most common, and a golden bio-luminescent iris being the rarest of the variations for a Velutarian to have. The reproductive cycle is similar to that of many sexually-reproducing species, although the gestation period for offspring is unusually quick, at only 4-5 Months of the Terran Calendar. This means that where there is another populace, the Velutarians will quickly come to outnumber them. This is most true should the Velutarians not have a large and abrupt population decline, as they live to nearly 240, with almost 190 years of breeding capability, and that lifespan can only increase with the standard augments one could expect.

Common Augmentations: Life Extension is the most common, although the social stigma around low-profile augmentations are non-existent. It is only unacceptable to defile their form and shape to a noticeable degree, such and replacing their arms and legs for machines. These augments are offered for reasonable prices all around Velutarian space.

Preferred Environment(s): Aquatic conditions are most favored by Velutarians, although they only need a Nitrogen-Oxygen atmosphere to breathe. The problem on dry or hot planets becomes dangerous dehydration, which can be handled, or at least, made bearable with technology.

History: Prehistoric Velutarians are poorly documented, and the Galactic Empire silences most pre-FTL history, although xeno-anthropologists have recovered small pieces. Their medieval age, which started roughly 1000 B.C.E., took nearly 1500 years to finish, however, it was after the Noble Caste ruled half of the ocean, and built numerous Floating citadels, the Velutarians saw the stars, and looked at them through telescopes, and their sciences flourished as the Noble Caste soon dominated the entire planet. The records are vague, but they soon flourished to have FTL at the turn of the 10th century C.E. Since then, they have dominated their region of space, brutally enslaving, exterminating, or devouring weaker races.

Known Locations: Velutaria Prime and the surrounding 10000 lightyears, theorized presence in the galactic core.

Defining Cultural Characteristics: The Velutarians are extremely xenophobic, believing that the other races in the galaxy are their playthings alone, and are imperious and overbearing to non-Velutarians or Velutarians of a lower caste. Moreover, it is known that the Velutarians have a practice that many civilized races view as barbaric and abhorrent: Should the Velutarians conquer a race, many governments say that the children of a planet need to be sent swiftly to a neighboring nation with the resources to care for them, as the Velutarians are known to devour the young of races that they are capable of consuming. The consumption of a defeated ruler's children by the reigning Emperor/Empress is shown to the entire Empire before the execution of the former ruler, as a show of dominance dating back to the late medieval era of Velutaria Prime.

Ethnicities:
Noble Subspecies: 20%
Plebeian Subspecies: 80%
Non-Velutarians are, legally, not people, and are not considered part of the populace, though it is theorized that aliens in the Empire outnumber the Velutarians on a 7:1 ratio.

Common Philosophies: The Veluarians typically believe in Socially Darwinian principles relating to the survival of the fittest, when confronted with an idea that this is wrong, the typical response is that "cattle were made to be slaughtered, and slaves were born to work." Or something to similar effect.

Attitude(s) and Disposition(s): Velutarians are one of the most cruel races to come across, and are considered by the majority of their neighbors as 'the worst possible species to interact with.'
The Velutarians believe themselves superior to any other species they come across, and view all but a socially superior Velutarian as weak, ugly, or uncivilized.
Last edited by Glorious Terran Empire on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glorious Empire, because Galactic Empire and Grand Empire were both reserved.
"Uhh..." ~Former President Barack Obama
"Arf Arf!" ~Former Presidential Candidate Hillary R. Clinton
"Bing-Bing-Bong!" ~Former President Donald J. Trump
"You lying dog-faced pony soldier!" ~President Joseph R. Biden

Help me add to the game!

The Kocha
Civilian

Founded: Feb 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kocha » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:05 am

General Information

Species: Kocha

Account Name: The Kocha

IC Nation of Origin: The Confederacy of the Kocha

Physical Information:

Physical Characteristics: The Kocha are a crustacean-like species who's entire body is covered in thick armored plates made of chiton. They have 6 small, beady eyes and a mouth that opens up four ways. They have a humped back, a large lobster-like tail, and twin ventilation strips on either side of it's torso. They walk on 8 legs, and have two pairs of "arms": one pair for grasping, and the others are vestigial legs used mostly for communication

Biology: Kocha have a ganglionic nervous system that is mainly located in the hump, with smaller clusters of nerves spread throughout the body. Their blood has blue blood. Kocha are omnivores and opportunistic feeders who will eat whatever they find themselves upon. Their limbs can grow back quite easily, taking only 1 month in standard galactic time. All Kocha are connected to a queen via pheromones, and are strictly male except for the queen. The queen lays eggs every 2 months in standard galactic time, and the pupae spend another month maturing and adjusting to the queen's pheromones. They usually live short lives, only living to be 35 years in galactic standard time.

Common Augmentations: The Kocha will drastically adapt their bodies to the needs of the queen and their hive at any moment.

Preferred Environment(s): They prefer hot, humid, and dark environments, with plenty of water nearby.

History: The Kocha lived mainly in tribal-like hives across their planet, warring with themselves often. In the earth year 3450 BC, however, the queens met and decided to join together in a confederacy. Since then, they have been feared by many for their ruthless attacks and near countless hoards.

Known Locations: They originated from the Hurculius VV system, however they have since conquered most of the Sigma Quadrant

Defining Cultural Characteristics: The Kocha are extremely xenophobic, seeing other species in the galaxy as having different pheromones and thus being enemies. They have a rigid caste system, but will switch castes if there is a shortage of one particular caste.

Ethnicities:
Workers: 10%
Gatherers: 25%
Warriors: 50%
Breeders:10%
Queens:4.9%
Grand Matriarch: 0.1%

Common Philosophies: They hold true that what the queen says is truth and they must do as they are told by the queen.

Attitude(s) and Disposition(s): They are an extremely aggressive species who will not hesitate to kill and eat you and everyone you've ever known

Novus Outremer
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus Outremer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:05 pm

For clarification:
Singular: As'i (ASS-ee)
Plura: As'i (ass-EYE)
Adjective: As'i (aysh-IH)

General Information

Species: As'i

Account Name: Novus Outremer

IC Nation of Origin: Confederation of Planets of Outre-espace

Physical Information:

Physical Characteristics:
Average height: 1m-1.5m (3' 3 3/8" - 4' 11 1/16")
Average weight: 27kg-35kg (59.5lbs - 70.1lbs)
Appearance: As'i are covered head to toe in soft, stretchy, and squishy skin, ranging in colour from a light cyan to a bright red. Some populations of them (usually those located in tropical climates) even have transparent skin. They do not have a definite, clearly defined shape, but when relaxed (or dead) they tend to become an amorphous blob. Amongst themselves, they usually form into ball (containing vital organs) with at least two limbs that act as a mode of transport (other limbs will form if needed). When interacting with other sapient species, they tend to take on a shape similar to a poorly drawn silhouette of the other species. They have a cluster of cells that drift around on their skin and can divide into smaller pieces that functions as both eyes and ears. They do not have a mouth, but an opening will open at will (and at seemingly random places) to consume food. There is a strange glowing liquid that always orients itself to be at the topmost area of the body floating freely inside of it; the liquid ceases to glow upon death.

Biology:
As'i are physically weak creatures, relying on the extremely acidic liquid it can eject from it's body at incredibly high speeds for combat and hunting. They make up for their weakness with their extreme durability, being very resistant to radiation and only being able to be killed by puncturing it's "core" (called the "soul" by the As'i) which is a dark, grapefruit-sized organ that is functionally similar to a human's heart, lungs, brain, thymus, and bone marrow. Puncturing the core results in a thick, black fluid seeping out into the body; such a wound is still near impossible to repair without dividing the wounded As'i laterally across the "core", which is also how they reproduce, which would result in one dead and one living As'i. They communicate with each other using collection of nodes across their body that create different chemical reactions, resulting in various smells and sounds, and can also change the colour of its luminescent fluid to display emotion. They can mimic speech of other species using pops from their nodes and by simultaneously exhaling through and vibrating their skin, though these sounds are often very quiet. Their organs freely float about their body in a liquid that has a similar consistency to Jell-O.

Common Augmentations: Many As'i use a temporary hardening agent that makes their skin and the liquid beneath it more rigid. This allows them to be able to do things like hold weapons and use the tools of other species. As'i that do a lot of interaction with other species tend to have a network of small microphones and speakers embedded in their body so that their mimicked speech is louder and easier to hear.

Preferred Environment(s): They prefer a wet, humid environment, similar to their homeworld, which is mostly tropical swamp.

History: Not much is known about their pre-space history, due to writing never being invented until after a ship carrying a crew of a still unknown species crashed on the planet and advanced the technology of the As'i thousands of years into the future. Ancient "oral" tradition claimed that the tribes of As'i had existed on their homeworld, Symbolica, since shortly before the swamps formed (which scientists from other species estimate to have occurred about 7 million years ago). They never really went to war with other As'i tribes, leading to most weapons owned to this day still being used mainly to intimidate and hunt. Their government is, officially, a tribal confederation, but is more of a confederation of monarchies with a religious leader at the helm. Most As'i are either members of the Cult of Verchiel or the Cult of Chinatsu, two religious orders founded shortly after the unknown ship crashed on Symbolica.

Known Locations: They are found in small numbers throughout inhabited space, working as merchants and diplomats, or in slightly larger numbers living in various far-flung colonies. Most, however, live in the As'i Home Systems, a small cluster of 3 star systems whose location is a closely guarded secret (they have a heavily defended border extending several stars out from the home systems, half of the stars in the border are not/very lightly populated). The closest a non-As'i is allowed to travel are the systems on the border, which are where all diplomacy with the Home Systems is carried out.

Defining Cultural Characteristics: Two major taboos in As'i culture are reproduction and form. As'i live for a long time (avg. 300 years unaugumented) and it is taboo for someone who is not near the end of their life to talk about reproduction, since an As'i essentially commits suicide to reproduce. They are expected to live long and happy lives before reproducing. As for form, it's taboo for an As'i to take the form of another species with other As'i and none of that species present, likewise it is extremely frowned upon to show one's As'i form (the blob/ball with limbs) to an outsider (It would be of similar appropriateness as running around in a president's press conference naked, shouting random obscenities, while casually describing your sex life to your mother. There are just some things you don't do.).

Ethnicities: There are no clearly defined ethnicities, the colour of one's skin is seemingly completely random, though those born with clear skin are generally considered beautiful and often are celebrities in As'i culture.

Common Philosophies: As'i mainly follow the philosophies laid down by the Cults of Verchiel and Chinatsu, which are essentially the same, but the Cult of Verchiel praises co-operation with other species, while the Cult of Chinatsu praises success in the workplace. They both promote peace and goodwill to all sapient species.

Attitude(s) and Disposition(s): They are quite peaceful to everyone, the one exception being when a non-As'i ship tries crossing the system border, which will be eliminated by the Navies of Outre-espacer with extreme prejudice. They try to get along well with other species, especially rigid peoples, like humans, on account of how easily they could be killed by them.

Verwood Island Archipelago
Attaché

Founded: Oct 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Verwood Island Archipelago » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:12 am

Tag

Qhevak
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 22, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Qhevak » Sat May 29, 2021 8:03 am

General Information

Species: Thaela

Account Name: Qhevak

IC Nation of Origin: Have belonged to a wide range of nations since the start of space explansion.

Physical Information:

Physical Characteristics: Thaela have the characteristics of whatever animal is infected by the relevant individual. The Oktebe, a large mamalian primate resembling a four-armed, red haired orangutan, was the most common form as their civilization evolved, though other species were often intentionally infected for other purposes. Nowadays vat-grown bodies are the primary source of forms.

Biology: Thaela are a form of neuro-parasitic organism similiar to plasmodium slime mold, infectious through bodily fluids. Once an organism is infected, the parasite spreads to the brain over a matter of days, and over the next six months builds complex information processing networks throughout the host's nervous system, gradually destroying the original and replacing it with a newborn Thaela intelligence. Once "born", the new Thaela is intellectually similar to a young human child, though retaining portions of the host's original memories. A minimum brain mass on the order of 400 grams is required to support a fully intelligent Thaela intellect. Natural children of Thaela infectees will inevitably be infected in the womb and born with Thaela minds.

Common Augmentations: Given their lack of attachment to particular bodily forms, Thaela mostly took happily to transhumanist technology as soon as it became available. The majority of modern Thaela are mostly bionano entities capable of freely swapping artificially grown host bodies - original Thaela are a traditionalist minority.

Preferred Environment(s): Similar to host, but Thaela processing networks thrive better in low temperature environments.

History: Thaela evolved as a complex neuroparasite common in the temperate regions of it's world, which was prone to climactic shifts from frequent meteor impacts due to the lack of a Jovian Shield. More intelligent variants of the parasite proved more survivable, which gradually resulted in Thaela networks developing intelligence over time. As they evolved, Thaela cultures began "farming" useful animals for infection as they grew, infecting useful instances at birth. Large primate animals were the primary choice for infection due to their long lifespans and tool using ability - though many animals were infected, often for purposes of burden, which would lead to the development of caste systems that would only collapse as Thaela culture reached it's Information Age. A parallel, underwater Thaela culture would appear parallel to the landbound cousins around this time, resulting from the infection of a smart, large brained octopoid species. This underwater culture would stay relatively primitive due to lack of fire, and are still mostly tech-averse.

As they began to expand off their home planet, Thaela would quickly switch to using vat-grown bodies over natural ones - nowadays few Thaela look alike. The development of nanotechnology would soon result in most Thaela augmenting their forms into more independent bionano entities, having new immortal minds that could quickly switch between artificial bodies. Thaela would make first contact with a small diaspora Kitsune colony four-hundred years ago, and were rather confused to learn that slime mould organisms and variable bodily forms were not the norm for intelligence.

Known Locations: Mostly located in the outer Beta Quadrant, though have spread elsewhere.

Defining Cultural Characteristics: Thaela civilization tends to be obsessed with novelty and adding new forms to their experience. Most modern, nanotechnological Thaela will swap bodies like clothing, having whole collections of forms both vat-grown biological and mechanical.

Ethnicities: Too many to count.

Common Philosophies: Thaela cultures are usually very liberal and individualist, but vary widely.

Attitude(s) and Disposition(s):. Generally quite open and curious.
Last edited by Qhevak on Sat May 29, 2021 8:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Oortian Community of Qhevak
Distributed association of posthuman Oort cloud space habitats in deep Scutum Centaurus - basically all of these ideologies living together. A Power 5 civilization according to this index. Does not use NS stats. Wiki here.
Aerospace Engineering grad student, currently doing work on smallsat and sounding rocket projects.
Previously Gogol Transcendancy, Ibis Galaxy Alliance.
N&I RP in a shellnut

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information