NATION

PASSWORD

Fear not, Daughter of Zion (Private)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
The Continuing French Republic
Secretary

Founded: Nov 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Fear not, Daughter of Zion (Private)

Postby The Continuing French Republic » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:41 am

Tuileries Palace, Paris

Charles-Napoléon Murat Bonaparte flicked through the Prime Minister's letter. Huh he thought to himself My time has come, I suppose. It seems that his idea had paid off. He would get to marry a foreigner, and she would be different, and the marriage would please everyone of a liberal disposition. Just, not very many devout Catholics...Menassa is a nation like no other. The envy of Christendom for its location, the hub of Eastern Judaism, and apparently the home to the woman who would someday in the not-too-distant future become Empress-Consort of the French.

"Have you read it all?" the voice of his father was unmistakable, as Napoléon IV stormed in, eager to hear his son's verdict. "I think Montbel has done a great job. Suits you, suits me, suits conservatives."
"I suppose. How does it suit the conservatives father?"
"Because conservative Judaism is about as moral as it is possible to be. Sure, some of the more...radical Catholics will no doubt make a fuss about you marrying a Jew, but they'll get over it when they realise how nothing is different. So long as we get the Pope to conduct the wedding, and you bring up the children at least nominally Catholic, no one will care in a few years' time."
"Very well. So I am to marry a failed queen?"
"It was King Matthias' suggestion. She's noble enough, and I am assured has a sweet disposition at heart. Sort of. Anyway, you're the one wishing to take the legacy of Napoléon the Great even further. You should be happy."
"I am. I just want to meet the girl and be settled with this whole thing. That's all."
"Well then, just as well we've made the arrangements. The King of Menassa is coming, along with this 'seal' of friendship between our nations. You shall see her soon enough, and be married, and we will have a friend in the Near East. Everyone's happy."
"Indeed they are."

Hôtel de Lassay, Paris

The Prime Minister looked pleased with himself. His recent political manoeuvring had won him everything. Political research showed that his party was re-asserting itself amongst the people, and the support for the Imperial Family was creeping up into more secure territory. This new marriage would be his latest coup. Liberals and conservatives are notoriously incompatible, until you combine one's love of minorities with the other's love of religious morality. That tended to quieten things down, and the 'liberal conservative' mindset which everyone believed the Emperor's unmarried son held was only another tool in the political manipulation arsenal. Menassa would lose nothing by this marriage - a former queen, stripped of rank and honour, but with enough heritage in her blood and history of good conduct to provide a suitable Imperial bride. From what he had been promised, she was also attractive. Plenty enough to distract any 23-year-old Prince. It would gain France as a guarantor and as a friend. France would gain both a future Empress, and hopefully eventually, a future heir, not to mention the friendship of Menassa and, if Montbel was to get his way, free access to the Holy Land for French pilgrims. That would make the Catholics very happy.

He leant forward, and put his pen to paper, writing a special dispatch to the King of Menassa which would confirm the things he had been planning with various officials in both his own and the King's country for the past few months.

Secrétariat d'État, République Française

To His Majesty Matthias Janneaus, King of Menassa, High Priest &c.,

Noble King, it is my pleasure to confirm with you the details of our previous discussions. The Emperor and the Sovereign Prince have both given their assent, and I would like to formally invite you, and all those associated with our discussions to the Palais des Tuileries in Paris, where we may all meet in person, and formally pledge the future Imperials to each other. You will be afforded all courtesy and protection, both on you immediate arrival and throughout your stay, however long that may prove to be. We are willing to entertain you for as long as you wish to remain to discuss the matters surrounding this marriage and its implications for both our nations.

As well as myself, the Emperor and his son the Prince, the Emperor's wife Marie, mother to the Prince, as well as my Foreign Minister the Baron Périgord will also be present, though possibly not for all the discussions. We shall see where these events take us. I would be willing to summon any other individual of interest, should it be required and we reach an agreement of mutual benefice.

I look forward to receiving you in Paris very soon.

Yours, in the Name of the Emperor and the Constitutions of the Republic,

Guillaume de Montbel, Comte de Montbel
Premier Ministre du Secrétariat d'État,
République Française

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:01 pm

Temple; Hall of Hewn Stone

Matthias sat in his stone chair looking over a letter he had received from a Prime Minister in some distant land that he had promised the hand of the disgraced ex-queen to. Matthias was fully clad the vestments of the high priest which he wore everywhere without exception whenever he appeared in public.

With loyalist rebels in the south, hiding out in the flat desert and arid mountains conducting raids on innocent civilians and the Rabbinical party vying for stricter control of the capital he could hardly be bothered to care about a girl he had condemned to house arrest in the palace for the last four years.

Judas Hyrcanus, the chief general of Menassa's armies and principle of the Royal Guard sat beside the King. "You know," Judas began, his voice bellowing against the stone of the room. Even though there were only two people in the hall Judas's deep voice could be heard throughout the room as it echoed on the stone. "It seems like this is the least of our problems."

"I had a similar thought Judas," Matthias responded while still looking at the letter. "But, it could present an interesting escape for the nation to turn to."
"Or it could give the loyalists and Rabbinicists more power. Handing over the loyalist queen to gentiles, and mixing our blood with their blood?" Judas asked, his eyes widening as he scanned the letter.

As Judas finished Matthias looked up at the door to the hall, he heard footsteps. Quieting Judas with a finger he motioned towards the door as the footsteps grew louder and louder. "Shoes, not a kohen" Matthias said using the traditional word for priest. The only people who did not wear shoes in the Temple were priests everyone else was required to wear shoes, at least in this administrative portion of the Temple.

"MATHIAS!" A voice rang out as a shadow appeared in the doorway. It was the figure of Shammai II leader of the Rabbinical party and friend and confident of Matthias Janneaus. They're relationship, while tenuous at times, was one of mutual respect and admiration, or at least, it had been. "Is what I read true, once a monarch chosen by God in the hands of a gentile?!" Shammai yelled as he moved in closer to where Matthias was sitting his eyes burning, he was practically frothing at the mouth.

Mathias jumped up and looked around. "Will you not address me as melech? If I recall moraid b'malchus is something I could have you killed for according to your laws." Matthias wasn't serious. While it was true that disrespect of the sovereign was grounds for death, Shammai never viewed Matthias as the sovereign given that he was a priest who usurped the throne in a coup-de'tat to restore order which granted Shammai more power than he had under the previous monarchy with which he could reestablish the monarchy under the guide of Rabbinic instruction.

"You and I both know that is not what you are, and I am sure that there is no one around to hear us." Shammai responded waving the letter about as he spoke.
"Pleasure to see you too Rabboni" Judas said with a slight smile and a pejorative tone, still sitting behind Matthias.
"And you! Do you have no respect for a talmid chacham that you would sit as I entered?!" Shammai thundered referencing the code of conduct that was to rise when a scholar of great learning entered the room which could be found in the book of Leviticus.
"I'd rather sit on principle than stand on ceremony." Judas said not even looking up at Shammai. "The day you and your chachamim come and bind me is the day I'll stand for you. But until that happens, I'd rather sit." Judas flashed a quick week and Shammai repulsed in horror.

"Gentlemen! To the matter at hand please." Matthias began as he stepped down from his elevated dais he walked down the steps that aligned the 70 other seats to be at level with Shammai while Judas remained sitting.
"A gentile!?" Shammai gasped throwing the letter at Matthias's feet.
"I'm giving away our problem, once she's gone the loyalists will have nothing to rally around, they can go attempt to free her from these Frenchmen and we'll have nothing to worry about, truly genius." Matthias said, towering over Shammai he was a little over a foot and three quarters taller than him.
"You'd disgrace our people in this way, she's still a bas Yisroel!" Shammai thundered clearly not intimidated by Matthais's stature.
"Need I remind you Rabbi Shammai that she was the one who brought avodah zarah into our land by marrying herself to that goy from New Edom I am simply giving her what she wants to live among the goyim and to abandon her people. Besides, was it not the great Shlomo HaMelech who married Pharaoh's daughter?"
"You've no cause!" Shammai responded.

At that Matthias motioned towards the doorway and made his way to it waiting for Shammai to follow. "Come, let us speak of this in a place that is less guarded." And together they went out of the Hall and out of the Temple leaving Judas behind to investigate the letter further.

Tuileries Palace, Paris

Matthias stood tall as he waited to be greeted by the delegation that would receive him. He looked upon his location and moved around a bit causing the golden bells and pomegranates at the bottom of his robe to jingle as they would whenever he moved.
"With all that noise, you'll give us away your highness." Judas said chuckling. Judas was dressed in full battle regalia as he did whenever he went to a foreign country. Khopesh at his side, he had adopted the sword of the Egyptians his hair was slicked back and his beard was neat.

Behind these two men was ex-queen Chaiya, her eyes were sullen as she looked about the area. She dared not speak unless spoken to, she feared reprisal from her captors as had been their modus operndi for the past few years of her captivity in the palace. Her face had been adorned with jewels as was the custom but her clothes were a simple modest dress, she appeared more of a servant than she did of a queen.

Matthias looked back at her and raised a single eyebrow. "Do come up here darling, I'd posit that you're the important member of our troupe." He motioned forward and she moved listlessly while still looking at the ground. "There we go." Matthias said before adjusting his turban.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby The Continuing French Republic » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:01 am

Tuileries Palace, Paris

The Imperial Guard troop marched through the courtyard of Tuileries, fanning out into a ceremonial array. "Mother, must you?!" Prince Charles-Napoleon exclaimed as his mother frantically adjusted his clothes.
"You are about to meet a king, and your future wife, child. Forgive me if I want you to look your best."
"Forget about that." the authoritative voice of the Emperor laid down his declamatory opinion on the matter. "They're here now. The footmen are just showing them in."

Sure enough, King Matthias, Hyrcanus and the timid-looking ex-queen Chaiya strode in, accompanied by a group of footmen an guardsmen. The Emperor and Prince inclined their heads to the two of them, though no too much, being of Imperial stature, whilst the Empress hovered daintily behind. The Prime Minister and Foreign Minister, who were standing some ways to the side, gave a bow and smiled to the king. "Welcome, Majesty." said the Prime Minister, cordially.

The guards presented arms and saluted the dignitaries. "Greetings fellow Sovereign." the Emperor stepped forward and extended his hand to King Matthias. "Allow me to introduce my son, Sovereign Prince Charles-Napoleon." He indicated towards the young man, who stepped forward. "And this," he continued, indicating towards Chaiya "must be the young lady about whom we have spoken. How do you do?" Prince Charles took the initiative, stepping forward to kiss Chaiya's hand "My lady, I will please me greatly to come to know you better soon." Prince Charles spoke warmly and welcomingly, struck by her timidity. She was obviously uncomfortable around the King who deposed her, let alone the Imperial family which she was soon to join.

The Emperor turned to King Matthias. "Would you care to join us inside? We have a simple spread put on if you are hungry or thirsty? I have the cook's assurance that it is all Kosher." As the party began to walk towards the doors of the palace, the Prime Minister turned to Prince Charles "Perhaps His Highness would like to treat Lady Chaiya to a tour around the garden? I am sure it would facilitate important matters for you two to...work through. If his Majesty would not object?" Count Montbel gave King Matthias a serious look he leant towards the king to speak quietly "It would free us all up to discuss things of a more...important nature...if your Majesty would like to talk about pressing matters."

The Tuileries palace gardens, normally open to the public, had been closed especially for today on the orders of the Emperor, which the Prime Minister had hoped might be able to afford the new "couple" time to get to know each other, whilst he and Matthias could discuss the finer details of the alliance which the marriage would surely entail. "I think not yet." the stern voice of the Emperor intervened "Let the guests a moment to settle before sending them off. Let them eat and drink, then let the Prince spend time with the Lady Chaiya."
"At your will, Majesty."

"What a splendid idea nonetheless!" Charles exclaimed. He offered Chaiya his hand. "Once you have all refreshed yourselves and we have spoken a little...oh, would your Majesty mind?"

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:07 pm

Matthias shook the hands that were extended to him, and Judas did the same. Chaiya drew her hand back when the prince attempt to kiss it. "Pardon your majesty," she said in a quiet mouse-like way. "But it's tradition." She turned her blushing cheeks to look behind Matthias and Judas as if whatever was behind these two men would provide her with some comfort from the awkward situation.

Judas turned to Matthias and spoke in aramaic, "You think they have a bar-bris working in that kitchen to prepare our 'kosher' food?"
Matthias burst out in a fit of laughter that almost brought a tear to his eye, he likewise responded in aramaic. "They wouldn't know kosher if it was slaughtered in front of them."

"Wonder if they've any wine," Hyrcanus responded as the both headed inside ensuring that their hosts were indeed following them.
"Did you catch the Lady?" Matthais asked.
"Aye, my King, I'm suprised there was no reaction on your part."
"Diplomacy Hyrcanus, nothing a general would know about. But, Chaiya is hardly a lady in any stature."

"Can we really drink with them, you know the rules." Matthias said as the two of them arrived at the spread, they were still conversing in their native aramaic.
"You are the King are you not? Make new rules." At that Matthias roared into laughter again clapping Judas on the back before turning to the spread.

The two men gazed upon the spread interestingly, whether they thought was suitable for religious consumption or not, they were going for it. This was, after all, a foreign mission in a different land with different rules. For the sake of diplomacy, Matthias hardly wanted to be rude, and after all, he was the king and there wasn't much arguing with that.

Once they were done with the spread that was offered to them, they turned back to their hosts to see if there was any conversation to be made.
"Apologies your Highness's," Matthias began. "We needed to clear a few things in our native tongue, but now, let us get down to business."
"A prosperous unity we're after," Judas stated once the king has finished. "One that will be a benefit to both our peoples."
"And to be rid of an old enemy, while gaining a new friend."
Both Judas and Matthias nodded at each other and turned back to their hosts awaiting a response.

Chaiya was unsure about whether or not Matthias was okay with her and the prince walking alone, at least he hadn't called her queen in front of Matthias, that would have set him off. She certainly thought the prince she was meeting was charming, obviously she would not take his hand "Thank you, your majesty but I am content" she said raising her palm and smiling a bit through her small rosy cheeks. Chaiya walked with the prince allowing him to lead and give her the tour, she figured that she'd better make conversation. She was also unsure of the outcome of the potential Prince's rejection of her and that was something she did not want to find out.

"I am Chaiya by the way, your highness." Chaiya said as she walked with the prince. "I don't know if you caught my name before, but it's Chaiya." She smiled at him in anticipation of a response.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby The Continuing French Republic » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:01 am

Count Montbel was struck with surprise when the King and Judas began talking in Aramaic. Knowing that his Foreign Minister knew a number of languages, ancient and modern, he turned to Périgord, "Do you know what they're saying?" he whispered.
"Not exactly." he replied "I never studied Aramaic, but I do have ancient Greek and Old Hebrew. I think...can't be certain...maybe something about drinking? Nothing worth mentioning, sir. Harmless things."

Upon entering the drawing room of the Palace, the Menassans went at the food and drink with remarkable voracity. The Emperor, Prince and ministers joined them, sipping a little wine and eating a little, but the appetite of their guests saw most of the spread depleted before anyone could get at the mainstay of it. Not that they minded...it had been put on for their sakes anyway.

Prince Charles turned to Chaiya "I believe I caught it, it is a lovely name, Lady Chaiya." he smiled at her.
"Lords, I believe we shall begin the discussions now." the Prime Minister indicated for them all to sit at the King and Judas' words. The Prince nodded, and invited Chaiya towards the door "In that case, we shall take our leave, and go on our walk. We shall be back within two hours at the most."
"I should think we will need longer than that." Périgord muttered
"Well, whatever you please, my Lord." the Prince smiled and turned to Chaiya again "Shall we?"

When the Prince and Chaiya left, the Prime Minister, the Foreign Minister and the Emperor all sat together with the Menassans. "Just as well, we want a mutually beneficial arrangement." the Emperor smiled, "The marriage of my son and the lady will make for a perfect opportunity for us, at least, constitutionally speaking, and I believe it rids you of someone you never wanted in the first place."
"Of course," the Prime Minister continued "there is the issue that some in your nation believe this Chaiya to be the legitimate ruler of Menassa. I believe then, it would please you if we took steps to de-legitimise her here. I could introduce a Act of Parliament to officially confirm that we do not recognise Chaiya's status as a queen."
"We do not want the Prince to marry a commoner, though?" the Emperor asked inquisitively.
"No, but we can deal with that. We'll name her...Princess of Alsace, or something, which gives her perfectly good standing for marriage to an Imperial, and gives her a landed legitimacy here in France - completely disconnected from your nation." he nodded to King Matthias. "Would that please you?"

"Also," Périgord spoke again "if we are to officially de-legitimise Chaiya in France, so that we can establish her here, how would that affect our relationship in other terms? I assume that, under your laws, the fact that she is a daughter of Israel makes her legally bound to both Menassa and France, upon her marriage? If so, could we use this for mutual benefit? Our nations could greatly benefit from trade, which we have already in some small capacity. Perhaps, since the marriage would be a large public event, and probably in the next few months, exploit this to make formal economic ties between our nations, if not in public, then at least in legislation?"

Meanwhile, with Charles and Chaiya

"By the way, you may call me Charles. Officially it's Charles-Napoléon, but no one ever calls me that. At least, until I become Emperor one day, in which case I'll probably be sworn in as Napoléon V." Charles had been a little taken aback by the odd customs of these Easterners. He had forgotten that modesty for them often extended to a complete lack of skin contact, something which the French found incredibly unusual. Nevertheless, he had been warned. "So, I shall take you through the front of the Palace here, and into the gardens in front. They are rather lovely when closed, no one there, apart from the sound of the river and the fountains of course."

Charles led her over the domed gateway of the palace, which contained a small room above it with a view over the long gardens of Tuileries. He looked out of the window "What do you think then, my Lady Chaiya? Do you think you could see yourself looking at this view more often?" Down a flight of spiral steps was the gate out of the palace from which one could view its long façade. The gardens stretched out opposite it, with banks of trees and a large central fountain being the most prominent features. "Perhaps you'd care to come and sit by the fountain?" Charles asked "Or perhaps walk the promenade along the bank of the river? Perhaps the river is better," he continued after a pause "since I am sure that the King and our ministers can see us from the window up there. I don't like being spied on." he pointed to one of the rooms with a window overlooking the gardens. Of course, the people inside were lost in their conversations, but being naturally more cautious, Charles was suspicious of the intentions of its occupants.

Return to NationStates