NATION

PASSWORD

The State of the Democratic Party Post-2016

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 76569
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:01 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Bakery Hill wrote:There's different strains of feminism I suppose.


I think Sanders is being completely sincere when he tells people he's a feminist. It's not something he just said because it sounded good. It's a concept he honestly likes.

But that doesn't mean he has any great insight into women's issues. I'm pretty sure he doesn't. Liking an idea is not the same as being deeply informed on the subject.

Probably could be said to have a passion for and knowledge of the intersectionality of wealth inequality and women's rights. I'm not the organizers and don't have any insight into their thought process, but even just that subject alone seems like it could be a good reason to have him as a speaker, not to mention that he's very prominent right now and gives a lot of exposure to any event he goes to.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

User avatar
USS Monitor
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 31078
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:11 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
I think Sanders is being completely sincere when he tells people he's a feminist. It's not something he just said because it sounded good. It's a concept he honestly likes.

But that doesn't mean he has any great insight into women's issues. I'm pretty sure he doesn't. Liking an idea is not the same as being deeply informed on the subject.

Probably could be said to have a passion for and knowledge of the intersectionality of wealth inequality and women's rights. I'm not the organizers and don't have any insight into their thought process, but even just that subject alone seems like it could be a good reason to have him as a speaker, not to mention that he's very prominent right now and gives a lot of exposure to any event he goes to.


I don't think he has any clue what he's talking about as far as intersectionality of wealth inequality and women's rights. He's obsessive about economic equality, but when he throws in stuff like women's rights or racial equality, it's an afterthought with no great insight attached. He likes social equality, just doesn't give it the same priority as economics or understand it in the same depth.

I'm pretty sure he got invited because he's a big name and it would draw attention.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
My president is defective. Can I exchange him for store credit?

User avatar
MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23693
Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:25 am

USS Monitor wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:The organizers asked him to?


Why, though?

....Because he's a popular politician on the front line of the battle for economic and social justice. I struggle to see what's confusing here.

User avatar
MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23693
Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:28 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Bakery Hill wrote:There's different strains of feminism I suppose.


I think Sanders is being completely sincere when he tells people he's a feminist. It's not something he just said because it sounded good. It's a concept he honestly likes.

But that doesn't mean he has any great insight into women's issues. I'm pretty sure he doesn't. Liking an idea is not the same as being deeply informed on the subject.

He's certainly got more insight into women's issues than anyone who opposes universal healthcare, or increasing support for childcare.

User avatar
Bakery Hill
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11973
Founded: Jul 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakery Hill » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:17 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Bakery Hill wrote:There's different strains of feminism I suppose.


I think Sanders is being completely sincere when he tells people he's a feminist. It's not something he just said because it sounded good. It's a concept he honestly likes.

But that doesn't mean he has any great insight into women's issues. I'm pretty sure he doesn't. Liking an idea is not the same as being deeply informed on the subject.

Yes, I'd probably agree. I don't call myself a feminist for basically those reasons.
Founder of the Committee for Proletarian Morality - Winner of Best Communist Award 2018 - Godfather of NSG Syndicalism

User avatar
Corrian
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 53463
Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:03 am

Even if he's bad at some of these things, I think merely working towards economic equality and policies in general will help ALL of those areas at once.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

User avatar
Hittanryan
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9068
Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:07 am

Corrian wrote:Even if he's bad at some of these things, I think merely working towards economic equality and policies in general will help ALL of those areas at once.

I think that would help far more than identity politics. When it comes to addressing racial and gender inequality, I think proponents of identity politics have swung and missed. They think there's a deliberate conspiracy against a particular race, gender, religion, and sexual orientation when really most of the problems stem from our government being dominated by wealthy special interests.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

User avatar
Corrian
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 53463
Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:11 am

Hittanryan wrote:
Corrian wrote:Even if he's bad at some of these things, I think merely working towards economic equality and policies in general will help ALL of those areas at once.

I think that would help far more than identity politics. When it comes to addressing racial and gender inequality, I think proponents of identity politics have swung and missed. They think there's a deliberate conspiracy against a particular race, gender, religion, and sexual orientation when really most of the problems stem from our government being dominated by wealthy special interests.

Eliminate all of those problems and watch as everything goes better for everyone.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

User avatar
G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 68917
Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:12 am

Hittanryan wrote:
Corrian wrote:Even if he's bad at some of these things, I think merely working towards economic equality and policies in general will help ALL of those areas at once.

I think that would help far more than identity politics. When it comes to addressing racial and gender inequality, I think proponents of identity politics have swung and missed. They think there's a deliberate conspiracy against a particular race, gender, religion, and sexual orientation when really most of the problems stem from our government being dominated by wealthy special interests.


The unfortunate problem is that he who denies said wealthy special interests also signs his own political suicide note.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

User avatar
Hittanryan
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9068
Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:25 am

Corrian wrote:
Hittanryan wrote:I think that would help far more than identity politics. When it comes to addressing racial and gender inequality, I think proponents of identity politics have swung and missed. They think there's a deliberate conspiracy against a particular race, gender, religion, and sexual orientation when really most of the problems stem from our government being dominated by wealthy special interests.

Eliminate all of those problems and watch as everything goes better for everyone.

And the goals of campaign finance reform, healthcare reform, etc. are much more concrete than whatever it is identity politics expects everyone to do.

Campaign finance reform: enact limits on campaign spending, give all candidates a set amount of free television ad space, shorten the endless campaign season if needs be by banning campaigning prior to a fixed date before Election Day.

Healthcare reform: admit that Americans have the worst healthcare in the developed world and address the high costs and lack of access, develop a plan for single-payer based on successful healthcare systems in other countries.

Identity politics: "Fight the patriarchy!" "How?" "I dunno, blame men for bad stuff and say it's a conspiracy."

One of these things is not like the others.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

User avatar
Uiiop
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10599
Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Uiiop » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:21 am

Hittanryan wrote:
Corrian wrote:Eliminate all of those problems and watch as everything goes better for everyone.

And the goals of campaign finance reform, healthcare reform, etc. are much more concrete than whatever it is identity politics expects everyone to do.

Campaign finance reform: enact limits on campaign spending, give all candidates a set amount of free television ad space, shorten the endless campaign season if needs be by banning campaigning prior to a fixed date before Election Day.

Healthcare reform: admit that Americans have the worst healthcare in the developed world and address the high costs and lack of access, develop a plan for single-payer based on successful healthcare systems in other countries.

Identity politics: "Fight the patriarchy!" "How?" "I dunno, blame men for bad stuff and say it's a conspiracy."

One of these things is not like the others.

That's because the last bit is a strawman that ca nbe equally applied to the other two.
People have suggested solutions in this area even if they're stupid or bitchy about it.
Just for example one of the problems of the Clinton campaign is a flawed implementation of the solutions from the same type of ID that apparently haven't thought of it.
Tbh this seems more of a reaction of tone rather than asking and/or listening to ID groups on what they want.
Last edited by Uiiop on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
#NSTransparency

User avatar
Eibenland
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 438
Founded: Sep 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Eibenland » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:47 am

Hittanryan wrote:
Corrian wrote:Even if he's bad at some of these things, I think merely working towards economic equality and policies in general will help ALL of those areas at once.

I think that would help far more than identity politics. When it comes to addressing racial and gender inequality, I think proponents of identity politics have swung and missed. They think there's a deliberate conspiracy against a particular race, gender, religion, and sexual orientation when really most of the problems stem from our government being dominated by wealthy special interests.

Most of the proponents of identity politics I've talked to believe both.
Puppet of Geilinor. Add 40,000 posts.

User avatar
USS Monitor
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 31078
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:10 am

Bakery Hill wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
I think Sanders is being completely sincere when he tells people he's a feminist. It's not something he just said because it sounded good. It's a concept he honestly likes.

But that doesn't mean he has any great insight into women's issues. I'm pretty sure he doesn't. Liking an idea is not the same as being deeply informed on the subject.

Yes, I'd probably agree. I don't call myself a feminist for basically those reasons.


I don't have a problem with him using the label because I do think he's sincere about it. He's a feminist, just not always a well-informed one.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
My president is defective. Can I exchange him for store credit?

User avatar
USS Monitor
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 31078
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:12 am

Corrian wrote:Even if he's bad at some of these things, I think merely working towards economic equality and policies in general will help ALL of those areas at once.


That seems to be what Sanders thinks too, which is why he is so much more interested in economic equality than any other issue.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
My president is defective. Can I exchange him for store credit?

User avatar
USS Monitor
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 31078
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:15 am

Hittanryan wrote:
Corrian wrote:Eliminate all of those problems and watch as everything goes better for everyone.

And the goals of campaign finance reform, healthcare reform, etc. are much more concrete than whatever it is identity politics expects everyone to do.

Campaign finance reform: enact limits on campaign spending, give all candidates a set amount of free television ad space, shorten the endless campaign season if needs be by banning campaigning prior to a fixed date before Election Day.


Banning campaigning before a fixed date would violate freedom of speech.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
My president is defective. Can I exchange him for store credit?

User avatar
Hittanryan
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9068
Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:34 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Hittanryan wrote:And the goals of campaign finance reform, healthcare reform, etc. are much more concrete than whatever it is identity politics expects everyone to do.

Campaign finance reform: enact limits on campaign spending, give all candidates a set amount of free television ad space, shorten the endless campaign season if needs be by banning campaigning prior to a fixed date before Election Day.


Banning campaigning before a fixed date would violate freedom of speech.

Sorry, correction, banning campaign advertising before a certain date.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

User avatar
USS Monitor
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 31078
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:16 pm

Hittanryan wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
Banning campaigning before a fixed date would violate freedom of speech.

Sorry, correction, banning campaign advertising before a certain date.


It's essentially the same thing and still a free speech violation.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
My president is defective. Can I exchange him for store credit?

User avatar
Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27594
Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Senkaku » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:20 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:No, but it was most certainly a war that stopped genocide.

And 10s of millions died....

And it was still a decently good outcome, given the other possibilities.
FUCK YOU. STAND WITH ME. NO MEATBALLS, NO LAMPS. WE ARE ALL LOSERS. COINCIDENCE IS SUBSIDENCE.
America supports THE PEDO NAZI CABAL. America supports GENOCIDE. My country is VERY ANNOYING TO ME.

User avatar
Hittanryan
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9068
Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:36 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Hittanryan wrote:Sorry, correction, banning campaign advertising before a certain date.


It's essentially the same thing and still a free speech violation.

You must admit that the absurd length of our campaign seasons drives up the costs of advertising for candidates. It’s one of the reasons there’s so much special interest money in our government.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

User avatar
Valrifell
Post Czar
 
Posts: 31636
Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Valrifell » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:57 pm

Hittanryan wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
It's essentially the same thing and still a free speech violation.

You must admit that the absurd length of our campaign seasons drives up the costs of advertising for candidates. It’s one of the reasons there’s so much special interest money in our government.


I'd suggest public funding for all campaigns, but fuck that just sounds super expensive when you realize we literally never stop campaigning.
T H E U N I O N O F F R A T E R N A L S O C I A L I S T L A B O R C O L L E C T I V E S
Perpetually haunted by the futures that never were and tortured by the futures that may yet be

User avatar
Collatis
Minister
 
Posts: 2701
Founded: Aug 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Collatis » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:08 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Hittanryan wrote:You must admit that the absurd length of our campaign seasons drives up the costs of advertising for candidates. It’s one of the reasons there’s so much special interest money in our government.


I'd suggest public funding for all campaigns, but fuck that just sounds super expensive when you realize we literally never stop campaigning.

I think a simple solution would be to limit public funding to X number of days before the election. So campaigns only receive public funding during the established campaign season.

Social Democrat | Humanist | Progressive | Internationalist | New Dealer

PRO: social democracy, internationalism, progressivism, democracy,
republicanism, human rights, democratic socialism, Keynesianism,
EU, NATO, two-state solution, Democratic Party, Bernie Sanders
CON: conservatism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, neoliberalism,
death penalty, Marxism-Leninism, laissez faire, reaction, fascism,
antisemitism, isolationism, Republican Party, Donald Trump


User avatar
Telconi
Post Czar
 
Posts: 34903
Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:32 pm

Collatis wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
I'd suggest public funding for all campaigns, but fuck that just sounds super expensive when you realize we literally never stop campaigning.

I think a simple solution would be to limit public funding to X number of days before the election. So campaigns only receive public funding during the established campaign season.


I'd rather see an "X number of dollars" limit.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

User avatar
Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27594
Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Senkaku » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:33 pm

Telconi wrote:
Collatis wrote:I think a simple solution would be to limit public funding to X number of days before the election. So campaigns only receive public funding during the established campaign season.


I'd rather see an "X number of dollars" limit.

Image
FUCK YOU. STAND WITH ME. NO MEATBALLS, NO LAMPS. WE ARE ALL LOSERS. COINCIDENCE IS SUBSIDENCE.
America supports THE PEDO NAZI CABAL. America supports GENOCIDE. My country is VERY ANNOYING TO ME.

User avatar
Telconi
Post Czar
 
Posts: 34903
Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:36 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Telconi wrote:
I'd rather see an "X number of dollars" limit.

Image


Because I'd like the candidate to be able to use those X dollars when and how he wished.

Perhaps burn them early on advertisements and publicity with the intent to draw donors early on, perhaps use them in a final October media blitz, I think limiting a candidate's campaign window is a bad idea. But allowing a candidate to just burn through public funds at will is probably a bad idea too.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

User avatar
Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27594
Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Senkaku » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:41 pm

Telconi wrote:
Senkaku wrote:
Image


Because I'd like the candidate to be able to use those X dollars when and how he wished.

Perhaps burn them early on advertisements and publicity with the intent to draw donors early on, perhaps use them in a final October media blitz, I think limiting a candidate's campaign window is a bad idea. But allowing a candidate to just burn through public funds at will is probably a bad idea too.

I mean, they could use them when and how they wished... within the window.
FUCK YOU. STAND WITH ME. NO MEATBALLS, NO LAMPS. WE ARE ALL LOSERS. COINCIDENCE IS SUBSIDENCE.
America supports THE PEDO NAZI CABAL. America supports GENOCIDE. My country is VERY ANNOYING TO ME.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: -Saiwania-, Bombadil, Borkmaster, Crumpetopia, Google [Bot], Isabel la Catolica, Myrensis, Serboslavonia, The Black Forrest, Yorsa II

Advertisement

Remove ads