NATION

PASSWORD

The Settlement (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Terintania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

The Settlement (IC)

Postby Terintania » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:31 pm

30 years ago, a cataclysm covered the world in clouds and ash. Still humanity struggles to survive the harsh storms and dangerous conditions. But things are getting easier for some people. A year ago, a settlement got a foothold. And now, this is where you live. Your home. I hope you make the best of it.

A cold, early morning wind blew through the small settlement. It’s residents would begin waking soon, if the crashing of the lightning striking the large metal towers hadn’t already woken them. Not that it was an unusual sound, as they woke up to it nearly every day. It was probably more unusual to wake up to silence.

As the settlement was coming to life for the day, the leaders were already waking up or getting to work on the daily routine of running a settlement like this.

Leroy had been awake most of the night, kept from sleep by bad dreams. So he buried himself in work, trying to figure out what would best help the settlement grow. Ultimately, it would be up to the town to decide what they worked on, but he and his fellow leader would first make a list of possible projects. Of course, the town could also suggest things at the town meeting if they wished.

He sat quietly in the kitchen of the house he shared with Serena, waiting for her to wake up, and for the settlement to wake, so they could get the meeting going.
Times are looking grim these days~

Vietmihn
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 15, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Vietmihn » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:24 pm

Joseph wakes up slowly, rolling on his bed. The crashing of the towers had awaken him, and he had woken up slowly, he hadn't had much sleep the last few nights, only a few hours of sleep here and there. He sat still in his bed, looking at some of his things.

He mutters something to himself and steps out of his bed, while it may not have been the coziest bed, it was still a place he liked to go after a long week or day.

He stood up and put on some new clothing, he hadn't changed in a while now. He felt the cool morning's breeze on himself as he stood up, ready for the rest of the day to come. He was ready for it.

He walked over to the small it of a log he uses as a stool, and the crude, but nice, table. He realizes that he forgot something behind in his bed. He is annoyed by that fact, but it happens, and he walked over, and dug around and grabbed his hat.

He went back to his table and waited for the day to begin and for him to begin his day-to-day activities in the settlement, ranging from hunting to finding to looking, he was a scavenger, working to give the settlement supplies and food.

He quickly peeks his head out the door to see if anyone is up and about, and he sees nobody, so he goes back to sitting at his table and discussing with himself and thinking about what to do and when.

He writes down a list of things he needs to do, and things he needs to get.

Helowi
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Helowi » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:31 pm

Anthony wakes up, feeling the morning breeze through a slight hole in his wall. He stumbles out of bed and gets his clothes on lazily. After several minutes of being awake, nearly falling asleep just standing up. He goes out and asks the people if they are a scavenger or a supplier and if they are willing to join Scavengers & Suppliers for the Better of the Settlement, due to the fact that he cannot go out supplying. He will do this until lunch time and then continue doing this until bedtime.
Last edited by Helowi on Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -3.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95
ISideWith 2020 Election Results
https://www.isidewith.com/profile/34439 ... esidential

ApplePieistan
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby ApplePieistan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:32 pm

Erin Kirsten

Erin awoken slightly before the bulk of the town. She had to; she had to do morning patrol, which ultimately meant walking around the settlement, making sure no one was murdering anyone. Morning patrols are usually pretty boring and fairly lonely, especially at a time like this when almost everyone else was at the town meeting. After getting dressed and doing her hair, Erin started her patrol of the streets, walking around and hoping to find crime to bust. After all, this would be the best time for any troublemakers to make a move, when everyone else is at the meeting.

Of course, Erin suspected the teenagers to be the ones to do such a thing. They probably wouldn’t be expected to be at the meeting, leaving them free to potentially commit crimes. In the hopes of catching them, Erin patrolled around the residential areas, as she believed they wouldn’t be bold enough to rob the storage warehouse, though they may rob houses. Scavengers and suppliers were known to occassionally keep things they find, making their property potential targets. Erin didn’t trust any of those teens, especially not that one pale kid, Falcon. Not only was he a teenager, but he looked startlingly like a vampire, making him doubly suspicious. While it would be illegal to shoot Falcon on sight, she kept an eye out for him, hoping to maybe to stop him from drinking someone’s blood.
Last edited by ApplePieistan on Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vietmihn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vietmihn » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:44 pm

Helowi wrote:Anthony wakes up, feeling the morning breeze through a slight hole in his wall. He stumbles out of bed and gets his clothes on lazily. After several minutes of being awake, nearly falling asleep just standing up. Anthony goes out to have some breakfast. Which includes a can of beans that may be expired, however he doesn't care. He goes out and asks the people if they are a scavenger or a supplier and if they are willing to join Scavengers & Suppliers for the Better of the Settlement, due to the fact that he cannot go out supplying. He will do this until lunch time.

Joseph hears a knock on his shabby house door, and thinks "Please don't bang too hard, I was going to fix that."

It is, however, alright, and he opens the door, seeing some random guy calling himself Anthony asking all about himself.

"Woah, woah, woah, slow down.. Yes, I am a scavenger, but what IS this organization about, I won't go joining random things until I know about them, Okay? Also, don't hit my door too hard, it's kind of, um... Shabby..."

He, taking a moment to take in everything he is saying, invites him in to discuss this idea.

Helowi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Helowi » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:51 pm

Vietmihn wrote:
Helowi wrote:Anthony wakes up, feeling the morning breeze through a slight hole in his wall. He stumbles out of bed and gets his clothes on lazily. After several minutes of being awake, nearly falling asleep just standing up. Anthony goes out to have some breakfast. Which includes a can of beans that may be expired, however he doesn't care. He goes out and asks the people if they are a scavenger or a supplier and if they are willing to join Scavengers & Suppliers for the Better of the Settlement, due to the fact that he cannot go out supplying. He will do this until lunch time.

Joseph hears a knock on his shabby house door, and thinks "Please don't bang too hard, I was going to fix that."

It is, however, alright, and he opens the door, seeing some random guy calling himself Anthony asking all about himself.

"Woah, woah, woah, slow down.. Yes, I am a scavenger, but what IS this organization about, I won't go joining random things until I know about them, Okay? Also, don't hit my door too hard, it's kind of, um... Shabby..."

He, taking a moment to take in everything he is saying, invites him in to discuss this idea.

"Oh, sorry about the door, as you know my name is Anthony Kerry, I am the founder of Scavengers and Suppliers for the Better of the Settlement. Now I understand that there are creatures outside the settlement that are way to powerful for one person to handle, that is the exact reason why I started this group. In this group, scavengers and suppliers will travel in a group, trying to protect each other while getting loot and getting more things done. Now I understand that people knocking on your door is pretty annoying, and again sorry for the loud bang on your door. You do not have to join right now however if you are showing interest I would like to know. Would you like to join?"
Last edited by Helowi on Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Frozen Forest
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Frozen Forest » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:12 pm

James Cartolli was asleep, writhing through yet another nightmare as the rest of the settlement began to wake up. They were a common occurrence and he expected them daily, the horrible specters that haunted him every night. His wife, his family, his friends. They were all dead and he was alone. A crack of lightning outside finally stirred him awake. He threw the covers off with a loud groan at the pain in his lower back before crawling towards his dresser.

He was fortunate to be running food distribution, it gave him the luxury of having more than a single pair of cloths. He threw on a white shirt and an ancient jacket. He glanced past the crack in his boarded up window to see that dawn had cracked. People would be having breakfast soon. Those who had no supplies stored would soon wander to the Soup Can to get the daily distribution of food.

The day before one of his scavengers had came across a survivor out in the wastes. It was a cat, whom was promptly killed and brought back to be cooked into a soup, which he would be serving this morning. Despite the stores name there's weren't many cans left. Most had been used or lost over time and the settlement had managed to make do through lucky finds and hunting/gathering.

James let out one last, pained groan before making his way to the front of the Soup Can, turning the 'Closed' sign around to display a faded 'Open'. One day he was going to need an assistant if he was going to get by, he was getting old and eventually he'd need to turn the soup can over to someone else. He should start looking for a successor...

His thoughts were interrupted as Old Lady Janis came through the door, setting off a loud ring-ding. "How are you miss White!" James flashed a wide smile before making his way to the kitchen area. The old lady smiled back "I'm well, just a bit hungry after all that gardening yesterday! I hear you have some meat, it's been awhile hasn't it? Can you spare a bowl?" Her politeness was never lost on him, he nodded and slowly poured the soup into the woman's stretched out metal tin. Two ladle scoops of the soup per person wasn't a lot, but it's all he could serve. Lunch was the biggest meal, followed by a small dinner that could get everyone through the night.

Janis gave a polite smile and took a seat at one of the eight booths within the shop. Most people took their meals with them, to eat as they worked or to share with their families. The little old lady that was Miss White enjoyed eating at the booths though, it reminded her of the 'good old days'. It made the store feel a little less empty as well, so he couldn't complain.

He glanced out the window, waiting on the rush of people that would arrive before long. His scavengers might come or they might get their meal afterwards. Scavengers and Suppliers were some of the only people who could both get a late ration and get a minor addition to that ration. If they wanted too they were allowed to eat their ration later, and he would end up giving each three ladle scoops to accommodate the extra work they had to do to obtain the supplies. Of course Settlement rules only forced him to give extra when they brought something back, he would end up giving it to them regardless.
Add 3,981 to my Post Count

Vietmihn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vietmihn » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:40 pm

Helowi wrote:
Vietmihn wrote:Joseph hears a knock on his shabby house door, and thinks "Please don't bang too hard, I was going to fix that."

"Oh, sorry about the door, as you know my name is Anthony Kerry, I am the founder of Scavengers and Suppliers for the Better of the Settlement. Now I understand that there are creatures outside the settlement that are way to powerful for one person to handle, that is the exact reason why I started this group. In this group, scavengers and suppliers will travel in a group, trying to protect each other while getting loot and getting more things done. Now I understand that people knocking on your door is pretty annoying, and again sorry for the loud bang on your door. You do not have to join right now however if you are showing interest I would like to know. Would you like to join?"

"No problem, and also, I know about the creatures, and this would be a good idea. I am willing to join this, count me in, for now."

He shakes hands with Mr. Kerry

"My name is Joseph Kelly, nice to meet you."

Helowi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Helowi » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:53 pm

Vietmihn wrote:
Helowi wrote:"Oh, sorry about the door, as you know my name is Anthony Kerry, I am the founder of Scavengers and Suppliers for the Better of the Settlement. Now I understand that there are creatures outside the settlement that are way to powerful for one person to handle, that is the exact reason why I started this group. In this group, scavengers and suppliers will travel in a group, trying to protect each other while getting loot and getting more things done. Now I understand that people knocking on your door is pretty annoying, and again sorry for the loud bang on your door. You do not have to join right now however if you are showing interest I would like to know. Would you like to join?"

"No problem, and also, I know about the creatures, and this would be a good idea. I am willing to join this, count me in, for now."

He shakes hands with Mr. Kerry

"My name is Joseph Kelly, nice to meet you."

"Pleasure to have you Mr. Kelly. I will try to keep you updated about the group. Thank you for your time." He closes the door gently.
Last edited by Helowi on Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Truth Incarnate
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Truth Incarnate » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:44 pm

The Doctor

Jen Burns had an annoying tendency to be far too proactive in their activities. After all, for a woman of her age, she wasn't supposed to be doing so much. She remembered that at her age, she would've been a retired little dependent living in some home that wasn't her own in the pre-collapse world. But that was the future she wanted to see return, so she supposed that it wouldn't be so bad if that were the case. But it was day-by-day that she operated, and now was the morning of yesterday's tomorrow. So she guessed that getting up was the next step towards the future.

Jen rose from her bed slowly, brushing a whitened lock of hair out of her eye. Another day spent living in the medical tent, and another day tending to the sick and wounded. There were so many recently, so many injured and so many who had come down with all manner of malaise. She stooped over a stretcher, tending to a still sleeping boy with a fractured arm. He'd been sleeping since yesterday morning. It wasn't like her to worry, but she just couldn't help it when someone so much like her younger self was like this. She couldn't stand to let anyone lose another future.

But that was besides the point.

Jen stepped out of the tent, rubbing her twisted glasses, and smoothing over the little nicks and cracks it had taken. By now, it probably did more to harm than heal her vision, but she just couldn't push herself to discard it. It felt nostalgic, important somehow. What a senile, sentimental woman she was. Most people here didn't have the curse of knowing what had come before, and it pained her to see them take this harsh world in their stride. Someday, it would all be back to what it had been, and she'd have been one of the cogs to have worked towards that beautiful global machine.

Jen pushed open the door to The Soup Can slowly, stepping in as she always did. The interior was musty as ever, all dry and stuffy. It wasn't as if she was an early riser, but today, it seemed as if she was one of the first arrivals. She waved a short greeting at Janis, one of the few people who could claim an age greater than hers, and stepped up to the counter. James was her age. Perhaps they could've known each-other before the collapse, or maybe, never have met at all. The near extinction of humanity had a tendency to draw the remaining dregs together.

"Hello, James. I see you're doing well. How 's your day been? Got anything for me?"

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:40 pm

(Ryder)
Ryder stirred from a deep sleep. Only when he was in the process of waking did he become aware of the thunder, and he flinched, startled out of his half asleep state by the sudden loud sound. He looked around in alarm, but quickly calmed down when he felt a fuzzy little paw on his hand. He looked down at the tiny kitten,"Good morning, Charm," He said, petting her between the ears. She gave a tiny purr in response.
"Mew," She said, looking up at him with her tiny little eyes.
"Hungry?" He asked, smiling softly at her, before moving to find the bag he kept her food in. "We're going to have to see if we can get more food for you today," He said to her, handing her the last of it. She quickly ate it up, before licking her lips and looking back at him.
"I really hope you're not supposed to be drinking milk. I don't have any. You seem able to eat that just fine, at least," He said, before scooping her up in his hands, and put her on his shoulder. "Shall we go get some breakfast? We can see if The Soup Can has milk or...advice on kittens."
"Mew," Charm agreed, settling down on his shoulder and closing her eyes, purring.

He headed outside, petting Charm as she snuggled closer to his neck, startled by the storm. "It's ok. It can't hurt you," He said softly to her, before heading in to The Soup Can. He walked toward the counter, and stood to the side as a woman who he was pretty sure was the doctor spoke with the owner of the store. He hadn't really gotten to know anyone yet, having kept to himself most of the week he was here. Mostly just because that was how he felt most comfortable adjusting. But now he felt more ready to meet people, even if he didn't actively seek out social interaction.
"Meeeew," Charm squeaked at James and Jen, her little voice barely even a voice at all.

Helowi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Helowi » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:20 am

After Anthony finally got someone to join, he checked a couple of more houses. Mainly just getting chased away by annoyed locals. After a couple of more moments of failure, he realized that he was hungry and hadn't eaten breakfast yet. He decided to head down to the soup can. Hoping to get some food and possibly recruiting more people. When he goes down there, he sees 2 people. A man with an adorable kitten, and an old woman who he thinks is the local doctor. He patiently waits in line and also tries to recruit other people in line and walking by.

ApplePieistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby ApplePieistan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:12 am

Helowi wrote:After Anthony finally got someone to join, he checked a couple of more houses. Mainly just getting chased away by annoyed locals. After a couple of more moments of failure, he realized that he was hungry and hadn't eaten breakfast yet. He decided to head down to the soup can. Hoping to get some food and possibly recruiting more people. When he goes down there, he sees 2 people. A man with an adorable kitten, and an old woman who he thinks is the local doctor. He patiently waits in line and also tries to recruit other people in line and walking by.

During her patrol of the residential areas, Erin couldn’t help but overhear annoyed people yelling at Anthony, who was apparently trying to recruit them for something. At first, Erin was apprehensive to stop him, because what crime was he committing? Annoying his neighbors is probably legal. At the same time, Erin knew she couldn’t let this continue, so she simply approached Anthony whilst trying to look stern and serious. Erin fully expected backtalk, though she hoped that if she acted aggressive enough, she could prevent it. Insults would help.

Once she got close to Anthony, Erin wasted no time in raising her voice at him, shouting “Hey, asshole! Stop trying to recruit people; no one likes you.”

Vietmihn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vietmihn » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:17 am

ApplePieistan wrote:
Helowi wrote:After Anthony finally got someone to join, he checked a couple of more houses. Mainly just getting chased away by annoyed locals. After a couple of more moments of failure, he realized that he was hungry and hadn't eaten breakfast yet. He decided to head down to the soup can. Hoping to get some food and possibly recruiting more people. When he goes down there, he sees 2 people. A man with an adorable kitten, and an old woman who he thinks is the local doctor. He patiently waits in line and also tries to recruit other people in line and walking by.

During her patrol of the residential areas, Erin couldn’t help but overhear annoyed people yelling at Anthony, who was apparently trying to recruit them for something. At first, Erin was apprehensive to stop him, because what crime was he committing? Annoying his neighbors is probably legal. At the same time, Erin knew she couldn’t let this continue, so she simply approached Anthony whilst trying to look stern and serious. Erin fully expected backtalk, though she hoped that if she acted aggressive enough, she could prevent it. Insults would help.

Once she got close to Anthony, Erin wasted no time in raising her voice at him, shouting “Hey, asshole! Stop trying to recruit people; no one likes you.”

Once Joseph is about to get to work, he hears a guard yelling a few minutes-ish away.

"Damn, must be Anthony..." he thinks to himself as he steps outside and runs over, he approaches the guard with an annoyed look on his face.

"He's trying to recruit people to help the Settlement, which is what YOU are supposed to be doing right now, eh? Instead of calling someone an asshole and saying nobody likes you for annoying their neigbours?"

He gives a "Just stop" look at the guard and thought "SHE's more of an asshole then he is, never liked her that much."

He steps backwards and says "I have a feeling you are gonna call me a troublemaker, or something of the sort, don't, I am actually trying to keep the peace in this settlement, which is actualy YOUR job, which you don't seem to be DOING right now."
Last edited by Vietmihn on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Helowi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Helowi » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:39 am

Vietmihn wrote:
ApplePieistan wrote:During her patrol of the residential areas, Erin couldn’t help but overhear annoyed people yelling at Anthony, who was apparently trying to recruit them for something. At first, Erin was apprehensive to stop him, because what crime was he committing? Annoying his neighbors is probably legal. At the same time, Erin knew she couldn’t let this continue, so she simply approached Anthony whilst trying to look stern and serious. Erin fully expected backtalk, though she hoped that if she acted aggressive enough, she could prevent it. Insults would help.

Once Joseph is about to get to work, he hears a guard yelling a few minutes-ish away.

"Damn, must be Anthony..." he thinks to himself as he steps outside and runs over, he approaches the guard with an annoyed look on his face.

"He's trying to recruit people to help the Settlement, which is what YOU are supposed to be doing right now, eh? Instead of calling someone an asshole and saying nobody likes you for annoying their neigbours?"

He gives a "Just stop" look at the guard and thought "SHE's more of an asshole then he is, never liked her that much."

He steps backwards and says "I have a feeling you are gonna call me a troublemaker, or something of the sort, don't, I am actually trying to keep the peace in this settlement, which is actualy YOUR job, which you don't seem to be DOING right now."

"Oh, don't worry Joseph, I'll handle this. Hello there guard, I am sorry that I have disturbed these people. I don't want to get into any trouble, so I will stop recruiting for the safety of everybody here. I don't want things to get violent, so I will stop. Sorry for the inconvenience." he begins to hold out his hand for a handshake.

ApplePieistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby ApplePieistan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:42 am

Vietmihn wrote:
ApplePieistan wrote:During her patrol of the residential areas, Erin couldn’t help but overhear annoyed people yelling at Anthony, who was apparently trying to recruit them for something. At first, Erin was apprehensive to stop him, because what crime was he committing? Annoying his neighbors is probably legal. At the same time, Erin knew she couldn’t let this continue, so she simply approached Anthony whilst trying to look stern and serious. Erin fully expected backtalk, though she hoped that if she acted aggressive enough, she could prevent it. Insults would help.

“Stay out of this! No one wants someone coming to their door and demanding they help him pick up sticks, or whatever you scavenger-types do. They have jobs; no one needs losers like you demanding they do more while they’re just waking up.”

Erin pauses for a second to ask herself if all her rudeness is really necessary. Deep down, Erin knows it’s not helping, but at this point, in for a penny, in for a pound. “Also, stop trying to defend this scavenger missionary. You’re obstructing justice.”

ApplePieistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby ApplePieistan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:50 am

Helowi wrote:
Vietmihn wrote:Once Joseph is about to get to work, he hears a guard yelling a few minutes-ish away.

"Oh, don't worry Joseph, I'll handle this. Hello there guard, I am sorry that I have disturbed these people. I don't want to get into any trouble, so I will stop recruiting for the safety of everybody here. I don't want things to get violent, so I will stop. Sorry for the inconvenience." he begins to hold out his hand for a handshake.

As soon as she heard the apology, Erin swiftly chilled out. In a now calm and collected manner, Erin responds “I ain’t shaking your hand, but thanks for your cooperation. Don’t cause any trouble again and we can put this behind us. As for your friend, get him to relax too and we can all go our separate ways.”

Helowi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Helowi » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:07 pm

ApplePieistan wrote:
Helowi wrote:"Oh, don't worry Joseph, I'll handle this. Hello there guard, I am sorry that I have disturbed these people. I don't want to get into any trouble, so I will stop recruiting for the safety of everybody here. I don't want things to get violent, so I will stop. Sorry for the inconvenience." he begins to hold out his hand for a handshake.

As soon as she heard the apology, Erin swiftly chilled out. In a now calm and collected manner, Erin responds “I ain’t shaking your hand, but thanks for your cooperation. Don’t cause any trouble again and we can put this behind us. As for your friend, get him to relax too and we can all go our separate ways.”

"I will try to stay out of trouble. Thank you for being so polite. I will now leave the area. Thank you for protecting our city." Anthony now leaves the scene and goes home.

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:48 pm

Ryder just kind of moved off to the side, uncomfortably watching as the guard decided that telling someone who wasn't actually causing trouble, to stop causing trouble was some kind of justice. Once Anthony left, he looked over at Erin,"He wasn't causing any trouble," He said, kind of quietly, but loud enough to be heard,"If people wanted him to leave them alone, they could just say so. We don't need you pushing people around just because you don't like what they're doing. That's not protecting us, like a guard should. That's just being a bully," He said with a sigh.

Hothnia
Minister

Founded: Mar 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hothnia » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:02 pm

Alexis Blount

Alexis has risen very early that morning and left the medical tent quietly, not wishing to wake her mentor, Doctor Jen Burns, and a teenage boy with a broken arm that they were caring for currently. Alexis had out on her dirty, but still warm, orange coat and pushed her way out of the tent, breathing in the cold, morning air. She blew into her hands and squinted as the rising sun pierced her eyes. Its getting cold again. We better be ready. Alexis started to walk around the encampment, waving to a few other early risers and generally looking around the small, but comfortable settlement.

After around an hour, Alexis had turned around and began to walk back to the medical tent. She had a feeling it was going to be a busy day today. As Alexis walked closer, she saw the Doctor step out of the tent and walk in another direction, likely towards the store or kitchen. Alexis made a face as she passed by an argument initiated by a guard known for being a bit high and mighty. We should be working together, not arguing. Damn idiots. Alexis reentered the medical tent and sat down on her "bed", coughing as quietly as she could.
Last edited by Hothnia on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Frozen Forest
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Frozen Forest » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:39 pm

James flashed yet another smile as Jen walked into the shop. He'd always respected her, then again it's not hard to respect someone who's saved the lives of countless neighbors. She was always a pleasant person in his opinion, she'd never caused his shop or him any trouble.

"Still trying to find the strength to get up every morning. I've prepared a soup for everyone, i hope you enjoy it" he said, scooping two portions into a metal tin and extending it to the older woman. For a moment he contemplated giving her a little extra but he knew that it wouldn't be appropriate, since she wasn't a supplier or scavenger. He glanced back at the second person in line, half gesturing towards the metal silverware to his left. People were expected to return it by the end of the day, and it was a harshly enforced rule. Silverware was valuable and hard to come by, so people wouldn't be tolerated for stealing it. He didn't really care though, because it wasn't his silverware. He just distributed it every meal.

A guard came into the shop, yelling and almost by instinct his hand fell to the pistol tucked in his waistband. Of course he couldn't use it, but it made him feel bolder. "Sir..." he gestured with his free hand at a sign above his head.
1. No Stealing
2. No Fighting
3. No Yelling
4. No Discrimination

The issue seemed to resolve itself though, and he let his hands slack back to his sides. He glanced at the next customer, a boy with a small black cat. He smiled, "What a cute little animal, is it yours?"
Last edited by The Frozen Forest on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:51 pm

The Frozen Forest wrote:James flashed yet another smile as Jen walked into the shop. He'd always respected her, then again it's not hard to respect someone who's saved the lives of countless neighbors. She was always a pleasant person in his opinion, she'd never caused his shop or him any trouble.

"Still trying to find the strength to get up every morning. I've prepared a soup for everyone, i hope you enjoy it" he said, scooping two portions into a metal tin and extending it to the older woman. For a moment he contemplated giving her a little extra but he knew that it wouldn't be appropriate, since she wasn't a supplier or scavenger. He glanced back at the second person in line, half gesturing towards the metal silverware to his left. People were expected to return it by the end of the day, and it was a harshly enforced rule. Silverware was valuable and hard to come by, so people wouldn't be tolerated for stealing it. He didn't really care though, because it wasn't his silverware. He just distributed it every meal.

A guard came into the shop, yelling and almost by instinct his hand fell to the pistol tucked in his waistband. Of course he couldn't use it, but it made him feel bolder. "Sir..." he gestured with his free hand at a sign above his head.
1. No Stealing
2. No Fighting
3. No Yelling
4. No Discrimination

The issue seemed to resolve itself though, and he let his hands slack back to his sides. He glanced at the next customer, a boy with a small black cat. He smiled, "What a cute little animal, is it yours?"

Ryder turned his attention away from the bully guard, glancing up at the sign, before giving James a small smile, which gave the impression he had a hard time giving actual wide smiles. "As much as any animal is really anyone's, anyway," He said, petting Charm,"I was wondering if you had any milk, or anything like that. I don't really know what she's supposed to be eating at this age."

Truth Incarnate
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Truth Incarnate » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:06 pm

The Doctor

"Thanks, James. I hope those aching joints of yours aren't getting in the way of life - though I'm a doctor, so I guess hope doesn't get me far."

Jen took the tin with a pleasant smile, and a hint of thankfulness. It worked like that around here, giving a little and getting a little in return. And everything the scavengers brought back added a little more stuff into that cycle. Hopefully, they could get their farms and running water back up again sometime soon (or at least, if it was on the agenda). There was a lot to look forward to, honestly. Everything was so busy and exciting - but she just didn't have the strength or the youth to help much anymore.

And so it happened that Erin passed by, and began something again. Always fussing, always so angry. It wasn't her place to judge, but Jen really did think that she was more than a little overbearing. Then again, what with the circumstances of this place, it wasn't so much a surprise that she'd behave like that, and more of an expectation. After all, this place already had its generously low number of disturbances, even considering the antics of a few. She sighed, and looked away once she left.

"Hmm... Erin needs to calm down. Maybe something's on her mind. In any case, I wouldn't be so quick to judge her. Circumstance makes the person. Maybe I'll see her later: get to know what's on her mind once I have some time."

She turned to Ryder, holding a small cat, and looking adorable as ever. He really didn't get out much. A strong boy, that little one. She admired him for taking care of his cat, but it also hurt her to know that others would only see it as a waste of resources. She took it upon herself to help those who needed it, and she saw a sort of kindred spirit in this young man. He'd make a fine nurse, if he ever took up the opportunity.

"Oh, hello there, Ryder. I've been seeing you around quite a bit. How are you doing?"

The Frozen Forest
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Frozen Forest » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:36 pm

Terintania wrote:
The Frozen Forest wrote:James flashed yet another smile as Jen walked into the shop. He'd always respected her, then again it's not hard to respect someone who's saved the lives of countless neighbors. She was always a pleasant person in his opinion, she'd never caused his shop or him any trouble.

1. No Stealing
2. No Fighting
3. No Yelling
4. No Discrimination

Ryder turned his attention away from the bully guard, glancing up at the sign, before giving James a small smile, which gave the impression he had a hard time giving actual wide smiles. "As much as any animal is really anyone's, anyway," He said, petting Charm,"I was wondering if you had any milk, or anything like that. I don't really know what she's supposed to be eating at this age."

James felt his heart go soft for a moment. He'd owned cats at various points throughout his life prior to the cataclysm. Having a dead one brought back to you to be turned into stew was one thing, but seeing a tiny little furball like that just softened him a little. He thought back to those long off days where he had owned a cat himself. They needed milk for the first few weeks and after that they always ate canned food.

"I'm sorry kid, if i had any milk i'd give it to you but it's so rare nowadays. The only source would be a nursing mother and most people don't donate any. I suppose i can ask around? In the meantime you should try to feed it solids. I can't really give you extra rations unless you can pay for them. That is, unless you work for me..." he trailed off, looking at the small black kitten carefully. "I could give you more nutritious rations until it's matured, i'm sure the others would understand. We need more mousers around here."

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:46 pm

Ryder looked over at Jen when he heard her say his name. In response to her question, he simply gave a small shrug,"I'm alright," He said, his soft voice always carrying a kind of weary tone to it. He lowered his gaze slightly, not meeting her eyes,"I...don't know if I ever learned your name. If I did, I forgot it. Sorry," He said apologetically, before glancing over to James again.
"Don't worry about it. I didn't expect you would, I just...figured I'd ask," He said in reply to the lack of milk,"I've been feeding her solids for a little over a week now, and she seems to handle them fine as long as they're softer meats. I-I can pay for the extra. I have a couple of caps," He said, digging through his pockets and trying to find his money.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse