NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] The PTSD Aid and Recovery Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Hogwarts Pride
Secretary

Founded: Jan 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

[Draft] The PTSD Aid and Recovery Act

Postby Hogwarts Pride » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:06 pm

Defining Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (also known as PTSD) as a mental condition caused by experiencing an extremely terrifying high stress/traumatic event which results in severe anxiety.

Stating that many servicemen and servicewoman who have seen combat return to civilian life without receiving the proper treatment on how to control post traumatic stress and reintegrate with society.

Saddened and applauded that the lack of proper treatment for PTSD results in countless veteran suicides a year.

Therefore all member nations are required to provide professional PTSD treatment to all returning combat personnel as needed and see to their mental well being as much as necessary.

Realizing that some nations are unable to fund and provide such treatments for their military personnel, therefore should a member nation be unable to fund this program, the necessary funding shall be provided by the World Assembly.

Urging the World Assembly to show compassion to suffering veterans and do their best to aid them.

(This is the first draft of this proposal, please point out if it goes against any current resolutions or other errors)

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:14 pm

"Speak for yourself. We don't have a military, therefore we don't have any military veterans with PTSD," says Iksana. "We do have a lot of civilians with, let's see, how did your definition go again? "Severe anxiety" from an "extremely terrifying high stress slash traumatic event." Let's take a conservative view when running the numbers and just say only most of our citizens have that. So either your definition is off or my nation is seriously fucked up. Probably both, to be honest."

"Anyway, why are only military members to receive aid from this?"
Trust Factbooks, not stats.

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

The Sheika
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 27, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Sheika » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:18 pm

Colonel Austin clears his throat before speaking, "While I can applaud the spirit behind the proposal, I do have to say that only designating the aid to veterans is a great disservice to member nations as a whole. Although Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is associated with those who have been in high-intensity combat situations, it is a disorder that can affect people from all walks of life from various experiences."

He pauses for a moment before offering a smile, "I support the effort, but you may have to increase the focus to more than military veterans."
Colonel Johnathan "Jack" Austin, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Department of International Affairs
Militaristic Federation of the Sheika
Regional Delegate of Absolution

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:24 am

OOC: Happily, as it doesn't define "all returning combat personnel", and those are the only people it requires you to provide anything to, it's very much a do-nothing one. And also possibly, due to requiring treatment to one class of people with PTSD, but not other classes, possibly a CoCR violation.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:35 am

OOC: This draft says a lot, but appears to actually do relatively little. It seems to be mostly preamble.

Hogwarts Pride wrote:Saddened and applauded that the lack of proper treatment for PTSD results in countless veteran suicides a year.

OOC: Applauded? Applauded?? You mean this: :clap: ?
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Hogwarts Pride
Secretary

Founded: Jan 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hogwarts Pride » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:20 am

Alright, thanks for the tips and curse spelling typos.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:18 pm

OOC: It also lacks category and strength/AoE.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

The Bible Baptist Republic
Spokesperson

Founded: May 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Bible Baptist Republic » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:15 am

While the Bible Baptist Republic applauds the sentiment behind this proposal, we question whether this issue may already be covered under extant World Assembly resolutions regarding health care access.
-- Ambassador Robert Make-Me-An-Instrument-Of-Your-Worship Conklin, Bible Baptist Republic

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tzorsland » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:08 am

Looking at this from the high level view, I see a major problem here. You start out by defining a forest, and then focus on a tree.

Hogwarts Pride wrote:Defining Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (also known as PTSD) as a mental condition caused by experiencing an extremely terrifying high stress/traumatic event which results in severe anxiety.

This definition is like a forest. It describes a very significant condition that a lot of people could, in theory, meet the criteria. Then at this point you narrowly focus on military deployed outside national borders. What about police/fire fighters/other first responders? What about victims of assault or terrorism?

I think you need to work on the forest first; get in the regulations for generic PTSD detection and treatment and then link in the service personnel deployed abroad in combat zones as an area where the government must supply these treatments at government's cost.
"A spindizzy going sour makes the galaxy's most unnerving noise!"
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

The Egyptian Pharocracial Suzerainty
Secretary

Founded: Jun 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Egyptian Pharocracial Suzerainty » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:27 am

Hogwarts Pride wrote:Defining Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (also known as PTSD) as a mental condition caused by experiencing an extremely terrifying high stress/traumatic event which results in severe anxiety.

Stating that many servicemen and servicewoman who have seen combat return to civilian life without receiving the proper treatment on how to control post traumatic stress and reintegrate with society.

Saddened and applauded that the lack of proper treatment for PTSD results in countless veteran suicides a year.

Therefore all member nations are required to provide professional PTSD treatment to all returning combat personnel as needed and see to their mental well being as much as necessary.

Realizing that some nations are unable to fund and provide such treatments for their military personnel, therefore should a member nation be unable to fund this program, the necessary funding shall be provided by the World Assembly.

Urging the World Assembly to show compassion to suffering veterans and do their best to aid them.

(This is the first draft of this proposal, please point out if it goes against any current resolutions or other errors)

Hmmm.

As long as We are not required to supply crayons, coloring books, safe spaces, and therapy puppies to the easily triggered, I actually see nothing to oppose in this resolution proposal, so far.

A true rarity in a piece of World Assembly legislation. Please to allow me to buy you a drink in the Stranger's Bar to celebrate your unique and exemplary accomplishment, sir (or madame).

- Ambassador Rorschach

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly