NATION

PASSWORD

Senator John Mccain has Brain Cancer.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23693
Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:44 pm

Nariterrr wrote:I respect him for actually having beliefs

what a bar

User avatar
Great Minarchistan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5952
Founded: Jan 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:42 am

MERIZoC wrote:
Nariterrr wrote:I respect him for actually having beliefs

what a bar


Nari has a point, many politicians in the Capitol are sneaky centrists just wanting to keep power rather than accomplish anything at all.
Awarded for Best Capitalist in 2018 NSG Awards ;')
##############################
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

User avatar
Arkinesia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13226
Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:10 am

I have nothing but respect for Sen. McCain. Personally I think this is a good opportunity to exit stage left, and let the governor appoint another Republican to the seat. His health situation would result in too many questions and instability between now and his next election in 2022.

Risottia wrote:Wasn't he linked to some bribery scandal back in the Eighties? Uhm... Yes yes, he was. He took bribes in money and services from a company.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_Five

Another reason why he should NEVER got within ten miles of the Presidency, since to some the vote of American citizens isn't enough. I wish him a recovery or a painless end (brain cancer isn't nice), but politically he's been able to go on only by exploiting his veteran status.

Relevant reading from the article.

Glenn and McCain were, in a sense, somewhat removed from what happened, though they were told to exercise better judgment in the future. McCain, for his part, became a major player in campaign finance reform, and paid back all the money the Keating concern had given him for travel expenses.
it is ultimately class which divides us.
I go by they/them now.
past Floridian, current ATLien (sorta?), future Chicagoan
I don't know what kind of socialist I am anymore, just call me a trade unionist.

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 138142
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:04 pm

Arkinesia wrote:I have nothing but respect for Sen. McCain. Personally I think this is a good opportunity to exit stage left, and let the governor appoint another Republican to the seat. His health situation would result in too many questions and instability between now and his next election in 2022.

Risottia wrote:Wasn't he linked to some bribery scandal back in the Eighties? Uhm... Yes yes, he was. He took bribes in money and services from a company.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_Five

Another reason why he should NEVER got within ten miles of the Presidency, since to some the vote of American citizens isn't enough. I wish him a recovery or a painless end (brain cancer isn't nice), but politically he's been able to go on only by exploiting his veteran status.

Relevant reading from the article.

Glenn and McCain were, in a sense, somewhat removed from what happened, though they were told to exercise better judgment in the future. McCain, for his part, became a major player in campaign finance reform, and paid back all the money the Keating concern had given him for travel expenses.


I remember when it went down, all 5 senators should have been jailed. The report was the Senates bi partisan effort to protect their own.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

User avatar
MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23693
Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:51 pm

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/24/mccain-obamacare-repeal-republicans-240906

So they're trying to ship McCain out for the healthcare vote. Puts his doctor in quite the spot.

Image

User avatar
AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27720
Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:59 pm

Arkinesia wrote: Personally I think this is a good opportunity to exit stage left


Leftist can exit stage left. Rightists can exit stage right.
But centrists have to jump off the stage and wade into the crowd.

Dumb joke, hardly more than a pun, but it's not malicious so forgive me please?
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

User avatar
AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27720
Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:00 pm

MERIZoC wrote:http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/24/mccain-obamacare-repeal-republicans-240906

So they're trying to ship McCain out for the healthcare vote. Puts his doctor in quite the spot.



That's funny, and quite insightful though slightly exaggerated. Your own work?
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

User avatar
MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23693
Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:16 pm

AiliailiA wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/24/mccain-obamacare-repeal-republicans-240906

So they're trying to ship McCain out for the healthcare vote. Puts his doctor in quite the spot.



That's funny, and quite insightful though slightly exaggerated. Your own work?

I'd like to say so, but no.

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 138142
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:24 pm

https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

User avatar
Targovia
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 387
Founded: Jan 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Targovia » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:26 pm

Well damn, that sucks. I know my dad will be crushed to hear his 5th favorite politician has cancer.
Politics is C A N C E R O U S

User avatar
AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27720
Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:57 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
AiliailiA wrote:
That's funny, and quite insightful though slightly exaggerated. Your own work?

I'd like to say so, but no.


Well then, I'll admit I flattered the cartoon somewhat. If you'd done it I wouldn't want to insult it.

Actually it doesn't make that much sense. Sending McCain back to Washington is the course most likely to lead to his early death, but it's the couse most likely to lead to the passage of WhateverCare. The only way they're alternatives is if McCain's doctor deliberately kills him, which is a bit on the nose ...

Not even sure what to call the Republican health care package now. Not Ryan or Trump Care. It's Senate version 3 ... or 4 ... it's just Whatever now.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

User avatar
MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23693
Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:08 pm

AiliailiA wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:I'd like to say so, but no.


Well then, I'll admit I flattered the cartoon somewhat. If you'd done it I wouldn't want to insult it.

Actually it doesn't make that much sense. Sending McCain back to Washington is the course most likely to lead to his early death, but it's the couse most likely to lead to the passage of WhateverCare. The only way they're alternatives is if McCain's doctor deliberately kills him, which is a bit on the nose ...

Not even sure what to call the Republican health care package now. Not Ryan or Trump Care. It's Senate version 3 ... or 4 ... it's just Whatever now.

yeah I think thats the idea lol

User avatar
Unstoppable Empire of Doom
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1798
Founded: Dec 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Unstoppable Empire of Doom » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:39 pm

I love watching him chew out the military advisors for trying doubletalk on him. At his age this is probably terminal.
Whoever said "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink" has clearly never drown a horse.

User avatar
The Burke Islands
Envoy
 
Posts: 309
Founded: Apr 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Burke Islands » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:45 pm

Poor guy, hope he pulls through, no one deserves to be killed by cancer.

User avatar
MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23693
Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:17 pm

I do hope each and every one of you liberals who wished the best for this diseased, depraved, and heartless piece of scum is happy with the vote today.

User avatar
Luminesa
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63017
Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:59 pm

MERIZoC wrote:I do hope each and every one of you liberals who wished the best for this diseased, depraved, and heartless piece of scum is happy with the vote today.

Hm? Just a couple hours ago I heard he was arguing against the Trumpcare bill.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

User avatar
MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23693
Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:23 pm

Luminesa wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:I do hope each and every one of you liberals who wished the best for this diseased, depraved, and heartless piece of scum is happy with the vote today.

Hm? Just a couple hours ago I heard he was arguing against the Trumpcare bill.

He voted for it to reach the floor, giving it the 50 votes it needed.

User avatar
Improved werpland
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1109
Founded: May 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Improved werpland » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:28 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Hm? Just a couple hours ago I heard he was arguing against the Trumpcare bill.

He voted for it to reach the floor, giving it the 50 votes it needed.

Which does not mean it will pass...

User avatar
MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23693
Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:34 pm

Improved Werpland wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:He voted for it to reach the floor, giving it the 50 votes it needed.

Which does not mean it will pass...

And the fact that its one huge step closer to being so shouldnt worry us?

User avatar
Neo Balka
Minister
 
Posts: 3124
Founded: Feb 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Balka » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:44 pm

MERIZoC wrote:I do hope each and every one of you liberals who wished the best for this diseased, depraved, and heartless piece of scum is happy with the vote today.


Yes, how dare people vote instead of bashing two rocks together.
The mere fact that i pissed someone off either means i stood for something or i said something offensive.
in this day and age it's both.
#garbagehumanbeing

User avatar
Improved werpland
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1109
Founded: May 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Improved werpland » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:57 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Improved Werpland wrote:Which does not mean it will pass...

And the fact that its one huge step closer to being so shouldnt worry us?

In the long run I don't think his action has changed anything in terms of the bill passing or not.

User avatar
MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23693
Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:06 pm

Improved Werpland wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:And the fact that its one huge step closer to being so shouldnt worry us?

In the long run I don't think his action has changed anything in terms of the bill passing or not.

Until he votes again to pass it.

User avatar
Greed and Death
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 53383
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:09 pm

AiliailiA wrote:
Arkinesia wrote: Personally I think this is a good opportunity to exit stage left


Leftist can exit stage left. Rightists can exit stage right.
But centrists have to jump off the stage and wade into the crowd.

Dumb joke, hardly more than a pun, but it's not malicious so forgive me please?

Stage diving is fun.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
Improved werpland
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1109
Founded: May 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Improved werpland » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:15 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Improved Werpland wrote:In the long run I don't think his action has changed anything in terms of the bill passing or not.

Until he votes again to pass it.

Do we know that will happen?

User avatar
Calladan
Minister
 
Posts: 3064
Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:22 pm

I have a sort of procedural question.

Before I start, I want to make it clear I am not wishing death on anyone, because that is just mean, and I only reserve that sort of thing for people I actually know and who actually deserve it, and Mr McCain falls into neither of those categories. So - we're all clear on that, right?

If, gods forbid, he dies before they get a chance to vote on it, and the Senate drops to 99 members and (more importantly I suppose) 1 less Republican, what happens to the vote? Does it get postponed until his seat can be filled? Or do they vote with only 99 sitting members?

Because if there are currently 52 Republicans (yes?), and (gods forbid) Mr McCain dies, then doesn't that make passing it even less likely? Would Trump want to postpone the vote until the seat can be filled? Would Democrats push for the vote right away, or would that make them look bad, taking advantage of the tragedy (so to speak)?

I am really asking out of curiosity, because this is the sort of thing that doesn't come up very often in the UK since a) there are 650 seats and 1 seat either way usually doesn't make that much difference, b) people don't die of natural causes (or unnatural causes) all that often and c) we don't have a lot of key votes that get this much attention (and - even when we do - see (a))
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aspheeric, Chess Socialism, Eahland, Eieryn, Good King Moogle Mog, Google [Bot], Greater Britannian Realm, Kurgao, Marenmia-Ocasia, Stellar Colonies, The Black Forrest, The Lone Alliance, The Notorious Mad Jack, Valemora, Valrifell, William Truderung, Zantalio

Advertisement

Remove ads