NATION

PASSWORD

The NationStates Feminist Thread III

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Torsiedelle
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Torsiedelle » Tue May 30, 2017 9:39 pm

Panue wrote:Modern day feminism is cancer.

I love you.
Rostavykhan is my Second Nation.
⋘EXCELSIOR⋙
To Cool For School

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Tue May 30, 2017 11:41 pm

Chestaan wrote:Woman stabs boyfriend and is spared custodial sentence

Because it could ruin her career...

In other words, don't worry about it, it's only a man she stabbed! Society's view on DV is so fucked up.

That's bad paraphrasing. Sentences often consider the collateral impacts, it's not uncommon or unique to women.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Tue May 30, 2017 11:58 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Chestaan wrote:Woman stabs boyfriend and is spared custodial sentence

Because it could ruin her career...

In other words, don't worry about it, it's only a man she stabbed! Society's view on DV is so fucked up.

That's bad paraphrasing. Sentences often consider the collateral impacts, it's not uncommon or unique to women.

Except when judges in the UK have been told to be lenient towards women.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed May 31, 2017 12:05 am

That's not an except, it's an issue in and of itself and it's one worthy of discussion but considering the offenders future prospects when determining a sentence isn't something that only women get and it's improper to characterize it by saying "it's only a man she stabbed." This is the first step on the path to the place of madness where nobody takes you seriously.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Wed May 31, 2017 12:09 am

I'm inclined to believe that no one takes me seriously regardless. Anyway, the fact that she isn't being sentence because it "might affect her career" is no different to those American sports players who raped people in college but got off lightly because it "might affect their sporting careers". It's as much about elitism as it is about gender.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed May 31, 2017 12:28 am

Costa Fierro wrote:I'm inclined to believe that no one takes me seriously regardless. Anyway, the fact that she isn't being sentence because it "might affect her career" is no different to those American sports players who raped people in college but got off lightly because it "might affect their sporting careers". It's as much about elitism as it is about gender.

It's no different because those are also about the collateral impact of the sentence. A month in jail and a month in jail that ruins your career prospects are two different things.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Wed May 31, 2017 12:37 am

Des-Bal wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:I'm inclined to believe that no one takes me seriously regardless. Anyway, the fact that she isn't being sentence because it "might affect her career" is no different to those American sports players who raped people in college but got off lightly because it "might affect their sporting careers". It's as much about elitism as it is about gender.

It's no different because those are also about the collateral impact of the sentence. A month in jail and a month in jail that ruins your career prospects are two different things.

A month in jail would ruin your career prospects whichever way you shake the proverbial stick. The point is that you cannot apply sentences differently based on the social class of the criminal. Someone who was working class that committed domestic violence would not be met with such leniency.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed May 31, 2017 12:46 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
A month in jail would ruin your career prospects whichever way you shake the proverbial stick. The point is that you cannot apply sentences differently based on the social class of the criminal. Someone who was working class that committed domestic violence would not be met with such leniency.

No it really wouldn't, the impact of a sentence can be changed by the circumstances of the person being sentenced. If the sentence will end up costing you millions of dollars rather than just a month of your time the sentence has a greater impact on you than it would on someone else.

Someone who was working class and could face major collateral consequences based on their sentence may in fact be met with similar leniency. For example, people who may be deported often get lesser sentences specifically to avoid that collateral consequence. Either you're talking about a privileged class of people that's made up of women, athletes, and immigrants or you're barking up the wrong tree.

Mattopilos II
Minister

Founded: Feb 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Mattopilos II » Wed May 31, 2017 12:54 am

Torsiedelle wrote:

I love you.

Loving biases is normal, yes.
Anarchist without adjectives, Post-Leftist, Anti-theist, STEM major.
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.” - Max Stirner
“The victory of a moral ideal is achieved by the same ‘immoral’ means as every victory: force, lies, slander, injustice.” - Nietzsche
“Our duties - are the rights of others over us.” - Nietzsche

Audioslavia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Audioslavia » Wed May 31, 2017 3:41 am

*** Warning for trolling *** and an eye-roll for the complete lack of effort.

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Wed May 31, 2017 4:24 am

Des-Bal wrote:

I would assume that stabbing someone would affect your chances of being hired more than spending a month in jail. Then again, I'm probably biased against the former on account of not wanting my employees to stab people so what do I know?
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed May 31, 2017 5:49 am

Ors Might wrote:I would assume that stabbing someone would affect your chances of being hired more than spending a month in jail. Then again, I'm probably biased against the former on account of not wanting my employees to stab people so what do I know?

You may be surprised to learn that "have you ever served jail time" is a more common question than "have you ever stabbed anyone."

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004

Postby Hirota » Wed May 31, 2017 6:18 am

Des-Bal wrote:
Ors Might wrote:I would assume that stabbing someone would affect your chances of being hired more than spending a month in jail. Then again, I'm probably biased against the former on account of not wanting my employees to stab people so what do I know?

You may be surprised to learn that "have you ever served jail time" is a more common question than "have you ever stabbed anyone."
And yet is an equally common question compared with " have you ever been arrested or charged for a criminal offence."

Background checks can include both asking if you have been convicted and/or if you have been charged.

Source: I've worked in two public sector jobs, and one private sector job where I was asked. Luckily my warning for common assault does not have to be included if I am asked I was charged as a warning in UK law isn't a conviction.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed May 31, 2017 6:26 am

Hirota wrote:
And yet is an equally common question compared with " have you ever been arrested or charged for a criminal offence."

Background checks can include both asking if you have been convicted and/or if you have been charged.

Source: I've worked in two public sector jobs, and one private sector job where I was asked. Luckily my warning for common assault does not have to be included if I am asked I was charged as a warning in UK law isn't a conviction.

A sentence that landed you jail time reads worse than a sentence that did not.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004

Postby Hirota » Wed May 31, 2017 7:06 am

Des-Bal wrote:A sentence that landed you jail time reads worse than a sentence that did not.
Indeed, which means that given women are statistically less likely to be sentenced to jail for the same crimes, background checks disproportionately harm men more than women.
Last edited by Hirota on Wed May 31, 2017 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed May 31, 2017 7:28 am

Hirota wrote:Indeed, which means that given women are statistically less likely to be sentenced to jail for the same crimes, background checks disproportionately harm men more than women.

True, but to nail down the issue the referenced case doesn't necessarily show sexism.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:25 am

So there's a lot that goes on in this, and not all of it relevant (and Warren Farrell is not the greatest public speaker, although his thoughts are sound). He talks about in this video something he also talks about in his book. It's an unusual concept, but I think it's worthy of discussion:

Money represents power you've given up to get that money. Money isn't power per se, it represents power you sacrificed.

To be clear, he's not talking about inherited wealth, where the person who has it sacrificed nothing. He's talking about these men who work 60, 70, 80 hours a week in dangerous jobs where they're risking death to provide for their families doing a job they hate. He talks about, in times past, women literally risked death (in an appreciable fashion) to bring the next generation into the world. Childbirth was very hazardous (and in the US, sadly still is to an extent), and women literally risked their lives to bring the next generation into the world. Men also risked their lives to keep those children from harm by going into battle to defend their home.

Now, in most western countries, we've made childbirth very safe (again, the US has a poor record in this regard). It's not completely absent of risk, but neither is walking in the park. However, men are still risking death to protect their families. They're still drafted in some countries to protect their homeland. In other countries they're just under threat of draft (like the US), but even beyond that, they take the most dangerous jobs in the world to protect their families. It's just that now, they risk death to protect their families from poverty, exposure, starvation, and want.

So for all the men who make good money being garbagemen or police officers or underwater welders, and risk death for their families, are they earning more money than their wives because they have more power, or do they have less? They earn more money than their wives, but is that really a sign of greater power, or is it a sign they've sacrificed more of their power?

Relevant consideration: while men earn more money than women, women control more spending than men. Who has the power here?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:34 pm

I think women pretty much have 99% of the power in relationships, because not only do they control finances but also control access to sex and whether or not to have children, which is a massively important and life changing decision. Men's power depends on the dependency of his wife/girlfriend. If she is earning more than her partner, then there's no dependency. If she is working but earning less, then there is some dependency but not much. If she doesn't work, there is total dependency.

This power imbalance affects the dynamics of a relationship because it forces the man to be secretive with some aspects of his finance just to retain that little bit of freedom from his overbearing wife/girlfriend.

And this is why we're seeing the rise of movements like MGTOW, where men are quickly catching onto the fact that they're really only being used for their ability to provide in a relationship rather than for their inherent value as a human being.

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:51 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:I think women pretty much have 99% of the power in relationships, because not only do they control finances but also control access to sex and whether or not to have children, which is a massively important and life changing decision. Men's power depends on the dependency of his wife/girlfriend. If she is earning more than her partner, then there's no dependency. If she is working but earning less, then there is some dependency but not much. If she doesn't work, there is total dependency.

This power imbalance affects the dynamics of a relationship because it forces the man to be secretive with some aspects of his finance just to retain that little bit of freedom from his overbearing wife/girlfriend.

And this is why we're seeing the rise of movements like MGTOW, where men are quickly catching onto the fact that they're really only being used for their ability to provide in a relationship rather than for their inherent value as a human being.

Most women want to be with someone they love, which implies valuing their humanity. Relationships are about working together, and not getting leverage or power over your girlfriend.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

The Imperial Union of Scandinavia
Civilian

Founded: Aug 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Imperial Union of Scandinavia » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:54 pm

Not sure if y'all just want equality or the extermination of the male gender, so that will be dertermined by your response to this word:

MEN

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012

Postby New haven america » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:55 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:I think women pretty much have 99% of the power in relationships, because not only do they control finances but also control access to sex and whether or not to have children, which is a massively important and life changing decision. Men's power depends on the dependency of his wife/girlfriend. If she is earning more than her partner, then there's no dependency. If she is working but earning less, then there is some dependency but not much. If she doesn't work, there is total dependency.

You know that's not how healthy relationships work, right?
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

The Grene Knyght
Minister

Founded: May 07, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Grene Knyght » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:09 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:I think women pretty much have 99% of the power in relationships, because not only do they control finances but also control access to sex and whether or not to have children,
Thats just silly and patently untrue

Men control sex and procreation just as much as women. It takes two to tango.
If women controlled finances, than that counters your second statement below, which was easily as ridiculous on its own

Thats just ridiculous.
men are quickly catching onto the fact that they're really only being used for their ability to provide in a relationship rather than for their inherent value as a human being.

Yep, every woman is a soulless, emotionless, cash-hungry husk.
[_★_]
(◕‿◕)
Socialist Women wrote:Part of the reason you're an anarchist is because you ate too much expired food
Claorica wrote:Oh look, an antifa ancom being smartaleck
Old Tyrannia wrote:Bold words from the self-declared Leninist
Currently
Reading
2015: x=-8.75,y=-6.56
2016: x=-8.88,y=-9.54
2017: x=-9.63,y=-9.90
2018: x=-9.88,y=-9.23
2019: x=-10.0,y=-9.90
2020: x=-10.0,y=-10.0
2021: x=-10.0,y=-10.0

PRO: Socialism, Communism, Internationalism, Revolution, Leninism.
NEUTRAL: Anarchism, Marxism-Leninism.
ANTI: Capitalism, Liberalism, Nationalism, Fascists, Hyper-Sectarian Leftists.
Portal Nationalist | Proletarian Moralist

The Grene Knyght
Minister

Founded: May 07, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Grene Knyght » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:12 pm

The Imperial Union of Scandinavia wrote:Not sure if y'all just want equality or the extermination of the male gender, so that will be dertermined by your response to this word:

MEN
Hey sorry uwu you must be new here uwu but this thread is a safe space and word such as m*n are considered violence here. Please be more considerate of other people's triggers in future
[_★_]
(◕‿◕)
Socialist Women wrote:Part of the reason you're an anarchist is because you ate too much expired food
Claorica wrote:Oh look, an antifa ancom being smartaleck
Old Tyrannia wrote:Bold words from the self-declared Leninist
Currently
Reading
2015: x=-8.75,y=-6.56
2016: x=-8.88,y=-9.54
2017: x=-9.63,y=-9.90
2018: x=-9.88,y=-9.23
2019: x=-10.0,y=-9.90
2020: x=-10.0,y=-10.0
2021: x=-10.0,y=-10.0

PRO: Socialism, Communism, Internationalism, Revolution, Leninism.
NEUTRAL: Anarchism, Marxism-Leninism.
ANTI: Capitalism, Liberalism, Nationalism, Fascists, Hyper-Sectarian Leftists.
Portal Nationalist | Proletarian Moralist

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:20 pm

Hakons wrote:Most women want to be with someone they love, which implies valuing their humanity.

Actually women want financial stability.

Relationships are about working together, and not getting leverage or power over your girlfriend.

Except no one ever works together. You either have power imbalances in favour of men, especially those in relationships with much less experienced and much younger women, or you have relationships where the woman controls the finances and thus have the final approval of a lot of major purchases. Where is the equal balance of power in any of those relationships?

New haven america wrote:You know that's not how healthy relationships work, right?

So you're suggesting that at least 90% of relationships are unhealthy?

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:24 pm

The Grene Knyght wrote:Thats just silly and patently untrue

It is not. It is fact.

Men control sex and procreation just as much as women. It takes two to tango.

No we don't. Men are taught that we have to make sure that our SO's needs are met regardless of our own desires.

If women controlled finances, than that counters your second statement below, which was easily as ridiculous on its own

It doesn't counter, because that money that is hidden from women is not in the control of women. The majority of the wealth a couple has is in shared accounts.

Thats just ridiculous.

Denying it doesn't make it go away.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General