NATION

PASSWORD

The Manchester Attacks Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 178103
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ifreann » Wed May 24, 2017 11:52 am

Republic of the Roman Nations wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Oh look, continuing to not answer the question.

I'm suggesting that being related to suspected criminals isn't evidence of a crime. Pretty simple fucking concept.


It does create reasonable suspicion.

Not really.
He/Him
From damnation, immolation
He descends bringing our salvation
With heart of nuclear thunder
Iron will made of steel

Saoirse don Phalaistín

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 138142
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed May 24, 2017 11:52 am

Ifreann wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
1. Following your lead,

Oh look, continuing to not answer the question.
2. Are you suggesting the women knew nothing about what was going in their own home, and couldn't do anything about it? How sexist.

I'm suggesting that being related to suspected criminals isn't evidence of a crime. Pretty simple fucking concept.


1. Weird how you don't like it when it's done to you, yet you do it all the time.
2. And I am suggesting that living and raising a house full of terrorists is creating a conspiracy, which is a fucking crime
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

User avatar
Republic of the Roman Nations
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 432
Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Roman Nations » Wed May 24, 2017 11:53 am

Ifreann wrote:
Republic of the Roman Nations wrote:
It does create reasonable suspicion.

Not really.


Yes really.

User avatar
Vassenor
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 71162
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed May 24, 2017 11:54 am

Republic of the Roman Nations wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Oh look, continuing to not answer the question.

I'm suggesting that being related to suspected criminals isn't evidence of a crime. Pretty simple fucking concept.


It does create reasonable suspicion.


In what way?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN♀

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

User avatar
Lady Scylla
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15986
Founded: Nov 22, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Lady Scylla » Wed May 24, 2017 11:54 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Lady Scylla wrote:
Remind me, when someone related to you robs a bank, for me to suggest that you be arrested and charged also.


When my kid does it with the family encouragement, will do.


But you seem to be missing that part of the equation.
~ --- ~ The Queen of Sass ~ --- ~
~BisexualBaddie~
RIP Dyakovo </3


All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

User avatar
Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 60315
Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Corporate Police State

Postby Imperializt Russia » Wed May 24, 2017 11:55 am

Republic of the Roman Nations wrote:
Imperializt Russia wrote:No it doesn't.


Yes it does.

I am white and British as they come, as I'm sure you can tell from my picture there.

Say I contrive a bomb from the aether.
Tomorrow, I take it and detonate it somewhere, and am caught doing so.

What "reasonable suspicion" is there to consider my parents having colluded over this act?
Nuclear power maximalist, radiation specialist. Now, I didn't say expert, did I?
Cat dad, socialist, angry man. Playing a game of Pong (1972) between the left-auth and left-lib quadrants of the Political Compass. ex-Samozaryadnyastan.

Angry at the world and highly depressed about it. It's a cruel, dark, cold place.
Lamadia wrote:dangerous socialist attitude
Also,
Imperializt Russia wrote:I'm English, you tit.

User avatar
Republic of the Roman Nations
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 432
Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Roman Nations » Wed May 24, 2017 11:58 am

Imperializt Russia wrote:
Republic of the Roman Nations wrote:
Yes it does.

I am white and British as they come, as I'm sure you can tell from my picture there.

Say I contrive a bomb from the aether.
Tomorrow, I take it and detonate it somewhere, and am caught doing so.

What "reasonable suspicion" is there to consider my parents having colluded over this act?


That you're related to them, got your values from them, and you most likely want to make them proud.

That is grounds enough to detain and question someone, we do this for standard murders as well not just terrorism. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

User avatar
Questers
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13867
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Wed May 24, 2017 11:59 am

Imperializt Russia wrote:
Republic of the Roman Nations wrote:
Yes it does.

I am white and British as they come, as I'm sure you can tell from my picture there.

Say I contrive a bomb from the aether.
Tomorrow, I take it and detonate it somewhere, and am caught doing so.

What "reasonable suspicion" is there to consider my parents having colluded over this act?
Provide the context.

If you were white and German, and Britain was at war with Germany, and you did that, what reasonable suspicion is there to consider your parents having colluded?

The question about his parents being refugees is a false starter. It's distracting us from the obvious line of inquiry: this chap returned from Syria, and our government was warned, and provided with his identity, and did not place him under surveillance. There are multiple parties to blame - the government for being incompentent, and the human rights lobby also. How unusual that they should be bedfellows.
Last edited by Questers on Wed May 24, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Restore the Crown

User avatar
Vassenor
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 71162
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed May 24, 2017 11:59 am

Republic of the Roman Nations wrote:
Imperializt Russia wrote:I am white and British as they come, as I'm sure you can tell from my picture there.

Say I contrive a bomb from the aether.
Tomorrow, I take it and detonate it somewhere, and am caught doing so.

What "reasonable suspicion" is there to consider my parents having colluded over this act?


That you're related to them, got your values from them, and you most likely want to make them proud.

That is grounds enough to detain and question someone, we do this for standard murders as well not just terrorism. Don't get your panties in a bunch.


Don't we have stuff from them about how this was completely at odds with the values they taught him?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN♀

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

User avatar
Lady Scylla
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15986
Founded: Nov 22, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Lady Scylla » Wed May 24, 2017 12:00 pm

Republic of the Roman Nations wrote:
Imperializt Russia wrote:I am white and British as they come, as I'm sure you can tell from my picture there.

Say I contrive a bomb from the aether.
Tomorrow, I take it and detonate it somewhere, and am caught doing so.

What "reasonable suspicion" is there to consider my parents having colluded over this act?


That you're related to them, got your values from them, and you most likely want to make them proud.

That is grounds enough to detain and question someone, we do this for standard murders as well not just terrorism. Don't get your panties in a bunch.


What sort of fucked up court system are you living under?
~ --- ~ The Queen of Sass ~ --- ~
~BisexualBaddie~
RIP Dyakovo </3


All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

User avatar
Questers
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13867
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Wed May 24, 2017 12:01 pm

Lady Scylla wrote:
Republic of the Roman Nations wrote:
That you're related to them, got your values from them, and you most likely want to make them proud.

That is grounds enough to detain and question someone, we do this for standard murders as well not just terrorism. Don't get your panties in a bunch.


What sort of fucked up court system are you living under?
This is not dissimilar from how Britains courts operated with the IRA.

Racial profiling is actually a legitimate process.
Restore the Crown

User avatar
Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 60315
Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Corporate Police State

Postby Imperializt Russia » Wed May 24, 2017 12:01 pm

Republic of the Roman Nations wrote:
Imperializt Russia wrote:I am white and British as they come, as I'm sure you can tell from my picture there.

Say I contrive a bomb from the aether.
Tomorrow, I take it and detonate it somewhere, and am caught doing so.

What "reasonable suspicion" is there to consider my parents having colluded over this act?


That you're related to them, got your values from them, and you most likely want to make them proud.

That is grounds enough to detain and question someone, we do this for standard murders as well not just terrorism. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

That really isn't how it works. Who is "we"?
Nuclear power maximalist, radiation specialist. Now, I didn't say expert, did I?
Cat dad, socialist, angry man. Playing a game of Pong (1972) between the left-auth and left-lib quadrants of the Political Compass. ex-Samozaryadnyastan.

Angry at the world and highly depressed about it. It's a cruel, dark, cold place.
Lamadia wrote:dangerous socialist attitude
Also,
Imperializt Russia wrote:I'm English, you tit.

User avatar
Republic of the Roman Nations
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 432
Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Roman Nations » Wed May 24, 2017 12:02 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Republic of the Roman Nations wrote:
That you're related to them, got your values from them, and you most likely want to make them proud.

That is grounds enough to detain and question someone, we do this for standard murders as well not just terrorism. Don't get your panties in a bunch.


Don't we have stuff from them about how this was completely at odds with the values they taught him?


That response is so universal it's cringe. Most people don't expects their child to murder people, and those who do tend to try and deflect from their parenting.

User avatar
Republic of the Roman Nations
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 432
Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Roman Nations » Wed May 24, 2017 12:03 pm

Imperializt Russia wrote:
Republic of the Roman Nations wrote:
That you're related to them, got your values from them, and you most likely want to make them proud.

That is grounds enough to detain and question someone, we do this for standard murders as well not just terrorism. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

That really isn't how it works. Who is "we"?


Alright no, that is how it works under American and Common law.

User avatar
Republic of the Roman Nations
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 432
Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Roman Nations » Wed May 24, 2017 12:04 pm

Lady Scylla wrote:
Republic of the Roman Nations wrote:
That you're related to them, got your values from them, and you most likely want to make them proud.

That is grounds enough to detain and question someone, we do this for standard murders as well not just terrorism. Don't get your panties in a bunch.


What sort of fucked up court system are you living under?


The same one you're living under, I'm just paying attention and actually know what I'm talking about.

User avatar
Lady Scylla
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15986
Founded: Nov 22, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Lady Scylla » Wed May 24, 2017 12:06 pm

Republic of the Roman Nations wrote:
Lady Scylla wrote:
What sort of fucked up court system are you living under?


The same one you're living under, I'm just paying attention and actually know what I'm talking about.


Pfffft. Alright, then. Do educate us, Professor. :roll:
~ --- ~ The Queen of Sass ~ --- ~
~BisexualBaddie~
RIP Dyakovo </3


All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

User avatar
Republic of the Roman Nations
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 432
Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Roman Nations » Wed May 24, 2017 12:07 pm

Lady Scylla wrote:
Republic of the Roman Nations wrote:
The same one you're living under, I'm just paying attention and actually know what I'm talking about.


Pfffft. Alright, then. Do educate us, Professor. :roll:


First-

You're probably college age.

What degree are you getting or have?

User avatar
Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 60315
Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Corporate Police State

Postby Imperializt Russia » Wed May 24, 2017 12:08 pm

Questers wrote:
Lady Scylla wrote:
What sort of fucked up court system are you living under?
This is not dissimilar from how Britains courts operated with the IRA.

Racial profiling is actually a legitimate process.

The IRA was a secessionist movement with widespread popular support for the Republican cause. Family politics was arguably relevant since it was ongoing since 1916.

These situations are not the same as modern Islamic terrorism, which is really a product that began when the Troubles started winding down.
Nuclear power maximalist, radiation specialist. Now, I didn't say expert, did I?
Cat dad, socialist, angry man. Playing a game of Pong (1972) between the left-auth and left-lib quadrants of the Political Compass. ex-Samozaryadnyastan.

Angry at the world and highly depressed about it. It's a cruel, dark, cold place.
Lamadia wrote:dangerous socialist attitude
Also,
Imperializt Russia wrote:I'm English, you tit.

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 178103
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ifreann » Wed May 24, 2017 12:08 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Oh look, continuing to not answer the question.

I'm suggesting that being related to suspected criminals isn't evidence of a crime. Pretty simple fucking concept.


1. Weird how you don't like it when it's done to you, yet you do it all the time.

When I don't answer something someone asks me, I just don't respond, or I'll just quote part of their post so it's clear that I'm just responding to that. I don't keep responding to them but not answering, just saying irrelevant shit like criticising them for cursing as if I'm the fucking morality police.
2. And I am suggesting that living and raising a house full of terrorists is creating a conspiracy, which is a fucking crime

Did this family even live together? I think all the children are adults, they may well have all moved out. And even if they did, that's not a crime. It's entirely possible for people to live together without knowing everything that goes on in that house.
He/Him
From damnation, immolation
He descends bringing our salvation
With heart of nuclear thunder
Iron will made of steel

Saoirse don Phalaistín

User avatar
Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 60315
Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Corporate Police State

Postby Imperializt Russia » Wed May 24, 2017 12:09 pm

Republic of the Roman Nations wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Don't we have stuff from them about how this was completely at odds with the values they taught him?


That response is so universal it's cringe. Most people don't expects their child to murder people, and those who do tend to try and deflect from their parenting.

If a person actually expects their child to murder people, they don't do that, unless they themselves are murderers.
Nuclear power maximalist, radiation specialist. Now, I didn't say expert, did I?
Cat dad, socialist, angry man. Playing a game of Pong (1972) between the left-auth and left-lib quadrants of the Political Compass. ex-Samozaryadnyastan.

Angry at the world and highly depressed about it. It's a cruel, dark, cold place.
Lamadia wrote:dangerous socialist attitude
Also,
Imperializt Russia wrote:I'm English, you tit.

User avatar
Republic of the Roman Nations
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 432
Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Roman Nations » Wed May 24, 2017 12:09 pm

Imperializt Russia wrote:
Questers wrote: This is not dissimilar from how Britains courts operated with the IRA.

Racial profiling is actually a legitimate process.

The IRA was a secessionist movement with widespread popular support for the Republican cause. Family politics was arguably relevant since it was ongoing since 1916.

These situations are not the same as modern Islamic terrorism, which is really a product that began when the Troubles started winding down.


May be different but the court still operates the same way.

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 178103
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ifreann » Wed May 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Questers wrote:
Imperializt Russia wrote:I am white and British as they come, as I'm sure you can tell from my picture there.

Say I contrive a bomb from the aether.
Tomorrow, I take it and detonate it somewhere, and am caught doing so.

What "reasonable suspicion" is there to consider my parents having colluded over this act?
Provide the context.

If you were white and German, and Britain was at war with Germany, and you did that, what reasonable suspicion is there to consider your parents having colluded?

The question about his parents being refugees is a false starter. It's distracting us from the obvious line of inquiry: this chap returned from Syria, and our government was warned, and provided with his identity, and did not place him under surveillance. There are multiple parties to blame - the government for being incompentent, and the human rights lobby also. How unusual that they should be bedfellows.

Salman Abedi was English. And his parents are Libyan.
He/Him
From damnation, immolation
He descends bringing our salvation
With heart of nuclear thunder
Iron will made of steel

Saoirse don Phalaistín

User avatar
Lady Scylla
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15986
Founded: Nov 22, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Lady Scylla » Wed May 24, 2017 12:14 pm

Republic of the Roman Nations wrote:
Lady Scylla wrote:
Pfffft. Alright, then. Do educate us, Professor. :roll:


First-

You're probably college age.

What degree are you getting or have?


I'm the Queen of England.
~ --- ~ The Queen of Sass ~ --- ~
~BisexualBaddie~
RIP Dyakovo </3


All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

User avatar
Republic of the Roman Nations
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 432
Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Roman Nations » Wed May 24, 2017 12:16 pm

Lady Scylla wrote:
Republic of the Roman Nations wrote:
First-

You're probably college age.

What degree are you getting or have?


I'm the Queen of England.


Sarcasm noted.

I'm a Homeland Security major, I wonder which one of us knows more about the law...

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 138142
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed May 24, 2017 12:16 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
1. Weird how you don't like it when it's done to you, yet you do it all the time.

When I don't answer something someone asks me, I just don't respond, or I'll just quote part of their post so it's clear that I'm just responding to that. I don't keep responding to them but not answering, just saying irrelevant shit like criticising them for cursing as if I'm the fucking morality police.
2. And I am suggesting that living and raising a house full of terrorists is creating a conspiracy, which is a fucking crime

Did this family even live together? I think all the children are adults, they may well have all moved out. And even if they did, that's not a crime. It's entirely possible for people to live together without knowing everything that goes on in that house.


1. I am not a s good at this as you, you can feel free to ignore me if you don't like my ability to post and not put quotes in the proper places as you require
2. That is for the investigation and trial to determine.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kurgao, Montane, Nimzonia, Northern Socialist Council Republics, Shrillland, The Notorious Mad Jack

Advertisement

Remove ads