NATION

PASSWORD

[UK] General Election 2017 Superthread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will you vote for?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:18 am

Conservative Party
29%
Green Party
4%
Labour Party
29%
Liberal Democrats
14%
Plaid Cymru
1%
Scottish National Party
7%
UK Independence Party
9%
Other
2%
Not voting
6%

Total votes : 638

Frank Zipper
Senator

Founded: Nov 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Frank Zipper » Mon May 22, 2017 10:58 am

The Wolfiad wrote:
Frank Zipper wrote:
How do you know millions of people believe this? Was there some survey I missed?

He knows because he doesn't live under a rock. I mean have you noticed the metropolitan elite rhetoric coming from May and what not? She does it for a reason.

So proof must be easily available to shove under the rock to show me.
Put this in your signature if you are easily led.

Frank Zipper
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Frank Zipper » Mon May 22, 2017 10:59 am

Irona wrote:
Frank Zipper wrote:
How do you know millions of people believe this? Was there some survey I missed?

For one millions of people read Breitbart and voted for Donald Trump. Both of these constantly reference a 'liberal establishment'

This is the UK we are talking about.
Last edited by Frank Zipper on Mon May 22, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Wolfiad
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolfiad » Mon May 22, 2017 10:59 am

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/22/jeremy-co ... s-6653633/

Hi guyz who defended Corbyn over the IRA comments (Calladan, Sous, Vassenor and Ifreann who is Irish), seems like Corbyn agrees with me now, though I wish he didn't take his bloody time to do it.

Sooo...
Last edited by The Wolfiad on Mon May 22, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Wolfiad
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolfiad » Mon May 22, 2017 11:01 am

Frank Zipper wrote:
The Wolfiad wrote:He knows because he doesn't live under a rock. I mean have you noticed the metropolitan elite rhetoric coming from May and what not? She does it for a reason.

So proof must be easily available to shove under the rock to show me.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/theresa-may-brexit-voters-brexiteers-liberal-elite-sneer-reserve-the-right-a7354561.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/theresa-may-conservative-party-speech-fighting-the-elite-historic-tradition-mark-steel-a7348936.html
Last edited by The Wolfiad on Mon May 22, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Zipper
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Frank Zipper » Mon May 22, 2017 11:15 am

The Wolfiad
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolfiad » Mon May 22, 2017 11:16 am

Last edited by The Wolfiad on Mon May 22, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Misconception
Attaché

Founded: Mar 07, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Misconception » Mon May 22, 2017 11:22 am

The Wolfiad wrote:http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/22/jeremy-corbyn-has-finally-called-the-ira-terrorists-6653633/

Hi guyz who defended Corbyn over the IRA comments (Calladan, Sous, Vassenor and Ifreann who is Irish), seems like Corbyn agrees with me now, though I wish he didn't take his bloody time to do it.

Sooo...

well while the Tories have an actual ex-IRA member, Maria Gatland/McGuire (Croydon Conservative councillor), amongst them, but they're keeping quiet about that...
"I am European by instinct and inclination." Albert Einstein.
Refugees (and migrants) welcome :)!

Jeremy Corbyn for PM

The Wolfiad
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolfiad » Mon May 22, 2017 11:26 am

The Misconception wrote:
The Wolfiad wrote:http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/22/jeremy-corbyn-has-finally-called-the-ira-terrorists-6653633/

Sooo...

well while the Tories have an actual ex-IRA member, Maria Gatland/McGuire (Croydon Conservative councillor), amongst them, but they're keeping quiet about that...

As I've said I wish this was a good argument, but it's a terrible false equivalence. She defected to the British side and had to live under police protection due to being at risk of assassination from the IRA. She may had once been part of the IRA, but she defected and fought against them, that's the point. Corbyn meanwhile defended the concept of the bullet not the ballot, opposed the Anglo-Irish Agreement, the Good Friday Agreement, met with IRA leaders (and this claim that he was negotiating 'peace' was ridiculous, like him agreeing with IRA leader that their shared view of an United Ireland imposed on the NI majority is not 'peace', plus he was not representing the British government) etc - he's only been on one side of this conflict and it certainly wasn't the good one.

The fact that he says the IRA were actually terrorists gives me an argument on the doorstep in case someone brings up the IRA.
Last edited by The Wolfiad on Mon May 22, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Zipper
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Frank Zipper » Mon May 22, 2017 11:27 am

The Wolfiad wrote:
Frank Zipper wrote:
Not even sure why you posted those.

Honestly I give up with you. I can't tell whether you're doing this deliberately to wind people up.

The claim that millions of people in the UK are voting for May because they think she is not part of the establishment is an extraordinary claim. Wanting some evidence for it is not trying to wind people up. What you posted was shit as evidence goes.

The Misconception
Attaché

Founded: Mar 07, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Misconception » Mon May 22, 2017 11:27 am

I hope everyone has registed, even if it is to spoil your ballot paper and tell the government to fuck off or vote some fringe party, better that then not engage at all.
"I am European by instinct and inclination." Albert Einstein.
Refugees (and migrants) welcome :)!

Jeremy Corbyn for PM

The Wolfiad
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolfiad » Mon May 22, 2017 11:29 am

Frank Zipper wrote:
The Wolfiad wrote:Honestly I give up with you. I can't tell whether you're doing this deliberately to wind people up.

The claim that millions of people in the UK are voting for May because they think she is not part of the establishment is an extraordinary claim. Wanting some evidence for it is not trying to wind people up. What you posted was shit as evidence goes.

I mean I actually give up my time to speak to voters and convince them not to vote for May, but ok I'm clearly ill-informed and have nothing useful to deliver. Not like I've had hundreds of conversations on the doorstep. Or have been reading the news for the last few months. Or have actually been educating myself about political issues.
Last edited by The Wolfiad on Mon May 22, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Zipper
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Frank Zipper » Mon May 22, 2017 11:38 am

The Wolfiad wrote:
Frank Zipper wrote:

I mean I actually give up my time to speak to voters and convince them not to vote for May, but ok I'm clearly ill-informed and have nothing useful to deliver. Not like I've had hundreds of conversations on the doorstep. Or have been reading the news for the last few months. Or have actually been educating myself about political issues.

What a load of egocentric tripe.

Calladan
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Mon May 22, 2017 1:42 pm

The Wolfiad wrote:
The Misconception wrote:

As I've said I wish this was a good argument, but it's a terrible false equivalence. She defected to the British side and had to live under police protection due to being at risk of assassination from the IRA. She may had once been part of the IRA, but she defected and fought against them, that's the point. Corbyn meanwhile defended the concept of the bullet not the ballot, opposed the Anglo-Irish Agreement, the Good Friday Agreement, met with IRA leaders (and this claim that he was negotiating 'peace' was ridiculous, like him agreeing with IRA leader that their shared view of an United Ireland imposed on the NI majority is not 'peace', plus he was not representing the British government) etc - he's only been on one side of this conflict and it certainly wasn't the good one.

The fact that he says the IRA were actually terrorists gives me an argument on the doorstep in case someone brings up the IRA.

(grin) Is it 12 hours ago already?
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

The Wolfiad
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolfiad » Mon May 22, 2017 2:42 pm

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3623936/j ... a-man/amp/

From the horse's mouth. Corbyn is a principled man, but his principles are terrible and evil. A principled past can't be whitewashed. Corbyn will live and die by this past. What did the party do to be saddled with such a Leader? We should be seeing a clear Labour victory, not having to celebrate the concessionary prize of 'hey we caught up with the Tories in the polls'. He's a despicable man, fighting an even more despicable Prime Minister.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon May 22, 2017 2:49 pm

The Wolfiad wrote:https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3623936/jeremy-corbyn-might-not-have-planted-a-bomb-but-he-made-it-easier-for-those-who-did-says-former-ira-man/amp/

From the horse's mouth. Corbyn is a principled man, but his principles are terrible and evil. A principled past can't be whitewashed. Corbyn will live and die by this past. What did the party do to be saddled with such a Leader? We should be seeing a clear Labour victory, not having to celebrate the concessionary prize of 'hey we caught up with the Tories in the polls'. He's a despicable man, fighting an even more despicable Prime Minister.

what about the libdems.

nah jk they're a joke now. greens would be cool if they stopped acting like dipfucks sometimes (most of the time>)
Last edited by Major-Tom on Mon May 22, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Mon May 22, 2017 3:07 pm

The Wolfiad wrote:https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3623936/jeremy-corbyn-might-not-have-planted-a-bomb-but-he-made-it-easier-for-those-who-did-says-former-ira-man/amp/

The Party betrayed its base's fundamental interests, so it was shaken up. What came after was Corbyn - an appeal, but not a complete one, to the base.
Restore the Crown

Chestaan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Mon May 22, 2017 3:28 pm

Well I'm glad we have you knocking on doors for the Labour party...
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

Calladan
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Mon May 22, 2017 3:34 pm

And hey - if you can't trust the word of a former terrorist printed in the paper that once wrote that Liverpool football fans PISSED on dying people, who can you trust?
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Mon May 22, 2017 3:45 pm

I don't think he's all that principled, either. NATO springs to mind. So do most defence/foreign policy related issues, for that matter.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon May 22, 2017 3:55 pm

Frank Zipper wrote:
The Wolfiad wrote:I mean I actually give up my time to speak to voters and convince them not to vote for May, but ok I'm clearly ill-informed and have nothing useful to deliver. Not like I've had hundreds of conversations on the doorstep. Or have been reading the news for the last few months. Or have actually been educating myself about political issues.

What a load of egocentric tripe.

He is right though, many people are fed up with what they view as the establishment which is equated in many circles as "metropolitan liberalism". BREXIT voters were partially motivated against this concept and some 17.4 million people voted Leave.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Mon May 22, 2017 4:00 pm

If he wasn't right, Corbyn's team wouldn't be trying to play him as anti-establishment; which they are, and which he is.
Restore the Crown

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon May 22, 2017 4:02 pm

Why should anyone be surprised? Corbyn most likely hates the very idea of the United Kingdom and is almost certainly a MTW. If he wormed his way into becoming Prime Minister I would ironically support this.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon May 22, 2017 4:04 pm

Questers wrote:If he wasn't right, Corbyn's team wouldn't be trying to play him as anti-establishment; which they are, and which he is.

^This as well. It's not only May firing up the rhetoric, but Corbyn has been doing it for quite sometime. Frankly, scores of people are fed up with how the political elites are handling things (not just in the UK but throughout much of the West as well). So many politicians are increasing their anti-establishment rhetoric, both left and right, as strategies to garner support. Not to mention that this anger towards the metropolitan elites is in many cases quite understandable if not outright justified.
Last edited by Napkiraly on Mon May 22, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon May 22, 2017 4:19 pm

Calladan wrote:

And hey - if you can't trust the word of a former terrorist printed in the paper that once wrote that Liverpool football fans PISSED on dying people, who can you trust?

Would the media really do that? Just print outright lies?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Mon May 22, 2017 4:25 pm

Napkiraly wrote:

Why should anyone be surprised? Corbyn most likely hates the very idea of the United Kingdom and is almost certainly a MTW. If he wormed his way into becoming Prime Minister I would ironically support this.

And you would be an enemy of the British state if you did so. People wuith different ideas about how foreign policy should be enacted are allowed to become leader of our country. Now if they were put in place or funded by a foriegn power then that would be a different matter, but it's not a given that fighting tooth and nail for places we currently own to be retained is the only good foriegn policy. Now I wouldn't support some one who threw people who wanted to be part of the UK under a bus, so I wouldn't support a united Ireland until a referendum victory, nor the sharing of sovereignty of the Falklands or the session of Gibraltar but then again there isn't an armed insurrection being undertaken in any of these places either.

This isn't even a new revolutionary foreign policy, we gave away our empire as well when it was clear it was both unfeasible and unpopular to keep it.
British, Anglo Celtic, English, Northerner.

Transhumanist, Left Hegelian, Marxist, Communist.

Agnostic Theist, Culturally Christian.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General