NATION

PASSWORD

Help us fix old issues

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Option 353

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:45 am

I strongly believe that this statement in option should end in an exclimation mark, rather than a full stop

]Two and a half minutes of buffering later she continues, “Our internet is the slowest in Regionless. 
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:34 am

I strongly disagree. Look past that sentence:

“Our internet is the slowest in @@REGION@@. Our system needs a massive overhaul. We need to crank it up!

That exclamation mark serves for the previously two sentences too, as this is clearly laid out as: "Statement. Statement. Exclamation!"
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:20 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I strongly disagree. Look past that sentence:

“Our internet is the slowest in @@REGION@@. Our system needs a massive overhaul. We need to crank it up!

That exclamation mark serves for the previously two sentences too, as this is clearly laid out as: "Statement. Statement. Exclamation!"

This is why ylu're an IE and I'm justa shitty author!
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:23 am

A shitty author who has been published 4 times, and is one of the most active and helpful people on this forum, you mean? :)

Naa, you're good, Aussie, keep doing your thing.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:33 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:A shitty author who has been published 4 times, and is one of the most active and helpful people on this forum, you mean? :)

Oh, thanks! :hug:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:44 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:A shitty author who has been published 4 times, and is one of the most active and helpful people on this forum, you mean? :)

But on the flip side, it's only 4 issues, out of how many I've submitted? This is why I like to work with percentages. It gives you a more realistic figure

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:16 am

Australian Republic wrote:

But on the flip side, it's only 4 issues, out of how many I've submitted? This is why I like to work with percentages. It gives you a more realistic figure

Eh, it's not far off my percentage, and it's a pretty high score for a non-editor.

Not wanting you to get too big headed here of course - honestly, you're never going to be the right sort of issue-creator to join the editorial team, but you're a solid ideas-man, which is why you've gotten published multiple times.

Anyway, let's get this thread back on track.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:57 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:But on the flip side, it's only 4 issues, out of how many I've submitted? This is why I like to work with percentages. It gives you a more realistic figure

Eh, it's not far off my percentage, and it's a pretty high score for a non-editor.

Not wanting you to get too big headed here of course - honestly, you're never going to be the right sort of issue-creator to join the editorial team, but you're a solid ideas-man, which is why you've gotten published multiple times.

Anyway, let's get this thread back on track.

Thanks for the compliment. Let's get back on track!
Issue 001"
: Are we allowed to call it "60 minutes"? Does that not violate copyright?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:38 am

Australian Republic wrote:Thanks for the compliment. Let's get back on track!
Issue 001"
: Are we allowed to call it "60 minutes"? Does that not violate copyright?

No.

60 MINUTES, capitalised and in the recognisable font, is a registered trade mark of CBS Broadcasting Inc., and if you were to sell clothing with that logo on it, they'd have a good case against you.

Using the words "60 minutes" is, unsurprisingly, something you are totally allowed to do, even if using it to describe a "respected tabloid TV show".

Note that broadly, even registered trade marks are generally considered fair game in satire. You ever hear of a novel called Jennifer Government, where the main villain is Nike? You can bet that no formal permission was sought or granted for the use of that registered trade mark, nor was one needed, as within a piece of fiction it's just an assemblage of letters that happen to match those of a real life brand. If Max had used the corporate logo he'd have been in trouble, and if he'd presented a work of non-fiction defaming the company he'd be on dodgy ground, but there's far less of a legal minefield in these things than most people think there are.

It's worth noting that the main reason we avoid known brands, people and places in Nationstates isn't because of legal threat, but rather because the sideways references are visual signposting that you're reading a work of tongue in cheek satire. Farcebook, is funnier than Facebook.

Where the humour and satire cost too much in clarity, we use the proper real world terms. That's why I'm always telling people to just use the verb tweets when they're talking about tweeting, and why the effect line "intellectual snobbery has the cognoscenti sneering at anyone who doesn't have an opinion on the semiological drift of Umberto Eco's works" doesn't substitute that author's name with Emberto Uco.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:03 am

I see...
Though Nike isn't really fair. Max could argue he's refering to Nike, the Greek goddess of victory, who is the name sake of the clothing company
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:07 am, edited 4 times in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:24 am

Australian Republic wrote:I see...
Though Nike isn't really fair. Max could argue he's refering to Nike, the Greek goddess of victory, who is the name sake of the clothing company

You've read the book, right? He mentions a whole bunch of corporations by name, and Nike in this book is a clothing company that primarily produces high-fashion running shoes. Hard to claim he means the goddess of victory...

Marshian nation36
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Marshian nation36 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:04 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:no one ever addressed this concern:

No one addressed either concern because those names are not in the issues themselves. In both cases, you had an unlucky draw on the @@RANDOMNAME@@ table. It's quite possible no one else in the game ever saw that combination in that place, nor ever will again.

I'm not guessing, by the way - I just looked them both up.

I have some one lieing because they won't tell me the truth.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:32 am

Marshian nation36 wrote:I have someone lying, because they won't tell me the truth.

Fixed your post there.

Besides sorting out your spelling and punctuation, I have no idea what you are talking about here.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:59 pm

#707:

New effect lines, "@@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ are unrivalled in obstacle courses", "citizens buy season tickets on a 20-year payment plan", "unfit police officers collapse while trying to capture unusually athletic criminals", and "walking to the local pizza parlour earns a lovely sports participation ribbon" have a space at the beginning.

Also, you're using the wrong demonym. (Can't you set an automated checker to reject issues with @@DEMONYMADJECTIVEPLURAL@@? It's never correct.)

Meanwhile, in the issue text, "@@NAME@@ @@ANIMALPLURAL@@" (the sports team name) should probably be "@@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ @@ANIMALPLURAL@@". Also, make sure you're capitalizing every word in @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ - I don't actually know if you're not, but I thought I'd preempt it :)

"Cribbage, Monopoly, and Backgammon", "man, woman, and child" need an extra comma.

#706:

"@@A@@ @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ black cedar" should sometimes use "an".
Last edited by Trotterdam on Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Eris I Dysnomia
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Eris I Dysnomia » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:53 pm

Issue 302:

“As usual, science has the answer!” claims renowned engineer and futurist, Dr. Leia Cruise. “You’re probably aware that there have been numerous developments in unmanned aerial vehicles over the past several years. Well, my laboratory’s been developing this compact flying courier robot with VTOL and GPS and a bunch of other initialisms

The appropriate word is "acronyms". And if you're going to make an acronym joke, you might as well shorten "unmanned aerial vehicles" to "UAVs" :p

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:06 pm

Eris I Dysnomia wrote:Issue 302:

“As usual, science has the answer!” claims renowned engineer and futurist, Dr. Leia Cruise. “You’re probably aware that there have been numerous developments in unmanned aerial vehicles over the past several years. Well, my laboratory’s been developing this compact flying courier robot with VTOL and GPS and a bunch of other initialisms

The appropriate word is "acronyms". And if you're going to make an acronym joke, you might as well shorten "unmanned aerial vehicles" to "UAVs" :p

It looks like those words have overlapping definitions, but initialisms seems more appropriate as you pronounce those two (VTOL and GPS) each letter at a time. Although I guess it depends on who you ask as to how to pronounce VTOL.
Last edited by Luna Amore on Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:59 am

Trotterdam wrote:#707:

New effect lines, "@@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ are unrivalled in obstacle courses", "citizens buy season tickets on a 20-year payment plan", "unfit police officers collapse while trying to capture unusually athletic criminals", and "walking to the local pizza parlour earns a lovely sports participation ribbon" have a space at the beginning.

Also, you're using the wrong demonym. (Can't you set an automated checker to reject issues with @@DEMONYMADJECTIVEPLURAL@@? It's never correct.)

Meanwhile, in the issue text, "@@NAME@@ @@ANIMALPLURAL@@" (the sports team name) should probably be "@@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ @@ANIMALPLURAL@@". Also, make sure you're capitalizing every word in @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ - I don't actually know if you're not, but I thought I'd preempt it :)

"Cribbage, Monopoly, and Backgammon", "man, woman, and child" need an extra comma.

Hi Trotterdam, thank you for your comments.

To answer them in reverse order:

- The Oxford comma is a dialectical grammatical variation. Both examples are perfectly acceptable.
- @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ is capitalised.
- @@NAME@@ @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ is deliberate: in the style of the Miami Dolphins, or the Detroit Lions and similar.
- The demonym seemed correct in test-runs, but I'll take another look
- You're right about the additional spaces. I will raise the point. I must compliment your keen observational skills. :)
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:36 am

Luna Amore wrote:It looks like those words have overlapping definitions, but initialisms seems more appropriate as you pronounce those two (VTOL and GPS) each letter at a time. Although I guess it depends on who you ask as to how to pronounce VTOL.

I'm accustomed to the pronunciation "veetol".
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Big Brain City
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 09, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Big Brain City » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:59 am

Issue 699 option 3:
“Replacing the pipes would be so expensive, Dear The Big Brain. Fortunately, we can provide for the water needs of the whole State.” asserts Debra Merkel, Manager of The Glorious Big Brain City Water Bottling Plant, as she pours some of Mother Big Brain City’s slightly-cloudy product into a shot-glass. “With increased funding for advertisements, we will teach that all good Brainishes have a duty to buy our pricey...reasonable product, as sparking as a mountain stream.” Wincing slightly, she takes a sip from her glass.

Not sure if anyone caught this but
Brainishes

should be
Brainishpeople
THE STATE OF BIG BRAIN CITY
EXITUS ACTA PROBAT

The Big Brain wrote:Freedom? People are fools and unworthy of much freedom. Even I am a fool. Many people have recognized that and want me to suffer for it.
Unfortunately for them, I can glass their planets.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:44 pm

Tinhampton revoked its national faith at 22:42 BST. About an hour later, at 23:40 BST, I got the issue "Purge The Infidels!" This is what option 1 started with:
“We already have an official religion,” says Frank Poindexter, the white cloaked spokesperson for Tinhampton’s Concerned Citizens.

But if I've revoked my national faith, then surely I'd be ineligible to recieve an issue that states I have a national faith?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Varda I Ilmare
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Varda I Ilmare » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:02 pm

Luna, can you tell the other mods to stop deleting my nations every time I post something in "Got Issues" that has nothing to do with unusual issue effects? If the moderators want to expand this rule to "don't post anything in Got Issues, ever", then they need to explicitly say that, and not delete nations for a rule that hasn't been imposed yet.

- Katie
Last edited by Varda I Ilmare on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:39 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:- @@NAME@@ @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ is deliberate: in the style of the Miami Dolphins, or the Detroit Lions and similar.
If it's meant to be reminiscent of those examples, wouldn't @@CAPITAL@@ @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ be better?

The Free Joy State wrote:- The demonym seemed correct in test-runs, but I'll take another look
I don't remember the nation name, but I saw it in a nation that had an adjective of "Council" and a noun of "Councillor". The effect line incorrectly used "Councils".

Tinhampton wrote:But if I've revoked my national faith, then surely I'd be ineligible to recieve an issue that states I have a national faith?
Revoking the field is just cosmetic, you still count as having unlocked it for the purpose of issues (as also evidenced by the fact that you can reenter a new value at any time, rather than needing to re-unlock it with the original unlocking issue).

It's probably better this way, since it means issue validities remain based on actual issue choices, and caters to players who just can't make up what to put in the field. Plus, when unsure about if an issue is applicable or not, it's better to err on the side of letting players be eligible and just dismiss it if they don't think they should have gotten it.

Note that #070 was actually added into the game long before the custom fields existed, so unless it was reworked since then, it probably assumed you had a national religion regardless. Imagine it as an "unofficial official religion" that everyone associates your nation with even though the government never said so (like Christianity in the US...), and the narrative works.

Also, [violet] was kind of grumpy about implementing this feature in the first place, so maybe we shouldn't nitpick too much :)
Last edited by Trotterdam on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Humanist Prognostication
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby A Humanist Prognostication » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Note that #070 was actually added into the game long before the custom fields existed, so unless it was reworked since then, it probably assumed you had a national religion regardless. Imagine it as an "unofficial official religion" that everyone associates your nation with even though the government never said so (like Christianity in the US...), and the narrative works.

Yep. Many a nation i've had topping the charts for secularism and having no official religion, whilst some citizens insist on carrying on about our "official" religion. As a member of the IRL US political culture, while I disagree with them strongly, their mere existance has never struck me as bizarre. Lots of people have lots of strange ideas about what the "official" anything is.

In this case, keeping the backside relatively simple has the pleasant side effect of making them realistic too.

Trotterdam wrote:Also, [violet] was kind of grumpy about implementing this feature in the first place, so maybe we shouldn't nitpick too much :)

Else ye be smitten... **brimstone**
The whole world is just made of people who didn't kill themselves today. That's who's here. It's all of us who went 'ok, fuck it, I'll keep doing it.' -- Louis C.K.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:41 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:- @@NAME@@ @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ is deliberate: in the style of the Miami Dolphins, or the Detroit Lions and similar.
If it's meant to be reminiscent of those examples, wouldn't @@CAPITAL@@ @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ be better?

Perhaps some might feel so, but rechecking my editorial notes, that was the author's choice, and editors always yield to authorial choice where possible.

Additionally, some national sports teams also use animals in their names or nicknames.

The Free Joy State wrote:- The demonym seemed correct in test-runs, but I'll take another look
I don't remember the nation name, but I saw it in a nation that had an adjective of "Council" and a noun of "Councillor". The effect line incorrectly used "Councils".

Did it?

I'll raise the point backstage, and see what the rest of the team think.

Once again, thank you for your eagle-eyes, and for alerting us to a potential issue. :)
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Aibohphobia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Issue #699

Postby Aibohphobia » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:22 am

Option 3:
sparking as a mountain stream
"sparkling"?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads