NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Numismatics Appreciation Act (Edited)

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

PASSED: Numismatics Appreciation Act (Edited)

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:25 am

Well I never expected the first one to generate much interest anyway, but now that I know a few were actually looking into it, I'll post it here for advice and then actually submit it.

Council: General Assembly

Category: Education and Creativity

Resolution Name: Numismatics Appreciation Act

Effect: Cultural Heritage

APPLAUDING the attempt by many nations to preserve and promote their cultural heritage,

NOTING that the cultural heritage of a nation may span a wide range of topics,

RECOGNIZING a nation's currency in both coin and paper form are a monumental part of the history of a nation,

DEFINING a coin as a form of currency that is often metallic,

ALSO DEFINING a banknote as a form of currency that is often made from paper or paper-like materials,

1. Establishes the World Assembly Numismatics Authority (WANA) in the effort to educate the general public about the value of their nation's currency,

2. Dictates WANA shall be funded by the World Assembly General Fund and through donations made by willing nations and individuals,

3. Charges WANA with the duties of:

a) collecting samples of nations' currency through donations of money and/or actual currency and displaying them in museums accessible to the public of an individual nation,

b) holding seminars in willing nations about the appreciation, collection and preservation of currency for a nation's public to enjoy,

c) preserving the samples collected as best to the organization's ability so they may be appreciated by future generation,

4. Demands in one way or another that each World Assembly member nation preserve certain editions of its coins and banknotes, and urges that participation in WANA could help each nation meet this requirement.

EDIT-- Scroll down for current version.
Last edited by Kryozerkia on Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:14 am, edited 6 times in total.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Re: Numismatics Appreciation Act (Edited)

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:06 am

Again, My nation supports this proposal.

maybe add a mobile WANA exhibit aimed at school aged children, that could move from nation to nation? of course, that may well be something for the WANA itself, once established, to decide.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Meekinos
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:49 am

We are intrigue. How would this be profitable?
Ambassador Gavriil Floros
Meekinos' Official WA Ambassador
Deputy Treasurer, North Pleides Merchant's Syndicate
CEO & Financial Manager of Delta Energy Ltd.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Executive Senior Delegate
Educator
The Hellenic Republic of Meekinos
Factbook: Your Friendly Guide to Meekinos
The paranoid, isolationist, xenophobic capitalists.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:01 am

Numismatics is actually a profitable business if set-up correctly, honoured ambassador (Free Trade). The draft should not only raise educational awareness of historical coins and paper money, but also legalize the trade of banknotes and coins at collectors' value. Brilliant un-circulated notes or coins may be way worth more than its face value.

The honoured ambassador to Charlotte Ryberg is interested in this draft.

Meekinos
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:07 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Numismatics is actually a profitable business if set-up correctly, honoured ambassador (Free Trade). The draft should not only raise educational awareness of historical coins and paper money, but also legalize the trade of banknotes and coins at collectors' value. Brilliant un-circulated notes or coins may be way worth more than its face value.

A trade where money is the good. Interesting. We could very well support this. It is profitable, therefore it is good for Meekinos.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Educator

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:37 am

4. Demands in one way or another that each World Assembly member nation preserve certain editions of its coins and banknotes, and urges that participation in WANA could help each nation meet this requirement.

We cannot meet this requirement. We have no monetary system. There are others that are the same. So, unless you put in some kind of acknowledgment that some nations have no monetary system, and are therefore, exempt from this requirement, we cannot support it.

Paula Jenner, Rutianas Ambassador

Zivenzia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zivenzia » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:11 am

Meekinos wrote:We are intrigue. How would this be profitable?

Does encouraging people to learn the history and art of their nation and other nations through numismatics have to be profitable? I do not recall a requirement that proposed resolutions result in profit.

Zivenzia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zivenzia » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:13 am

Rutianas wrote:

We cannot meet this requirement. We have no monetary system. There are others that are the same. So, unless you put in some kind of acknowledgment that some nations have no monetary system, and are therefore, exempt from this requirement, we cannot support it.

how about "Coins, Banknotes, and other means of exchange".

Also, because your nation has no monetary system, does that mean that all should be excluded from this?

Meekinos
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:55 am

Zivenzia wrote:
Meekinos wrote:We are intrigue. How would this be profitable?

Does encouraging people to learn the history and art of their nation and other nations through numismatics have to be profitable? I do not recall a requirement that proposed resolutions result in profit.

It is a big determining factor for us.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Educator

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:58 am

Zivenzia wrote:how about "Coins, Banknotes, and other means of exchange".

Also, because your nation has no monetary system, does that mean that all should be excluded from this?

Sure, we'll just send in a sample of every item in our nation. We use the barter system, Ambassador. It's just not possible for us to meet that requirement.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:38 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Numismatics is actually a profitable business if set-up correctly, honoured ambassador (Free Trade). The draft should not only raise educational awareness of historical coins and paper money, but also legalize the trade of banknotes and coins at collectors' value. Brilliant un-circulated notes or coins may be way worth more than its face value.

It didn't occur to me to add this to the proposal. This is an excellent idea!
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:02 pm

Rutianas wrote:

I shall deal with this.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:07 pm

Buffett and Colbert has now put forth another draft of this proposal and it is as follows:

APPLAUDING the attempt by many nations to preserve and promote their cultural heritage,

NOTING that the cultural heritage of a nation may span a wide range of topics,

RECOGNIZING a nation's currency in both coin and paper form are a monumental part of the history of a nation,

DEFINING a coin as a form of currency that is often metallic,

ALSO DEFINING a banknote as a form of currency that is often made from paper or paper-like materials,

1. Establishes the World Assembly Numismatics Authority (WANA) in the effort to educate the general public about the value of their nation's currency,

2. Dictates WANA shall be funded by the World Assembly General Fund and through donations made by willing nations and individuals,

a) collecting samples of nations' currency through donations of money and/or actual currency and displaying them in museums accessible to the public of an individual nation,
b) holding seminars in willing nations about the appreciation, collection and preservation of currency for a nation's public to enjoy,
c) preserving the samples collected as best to the organization's ability so they may be appreciated by future generation,
d) creating an international standard grading system; this system shall clarify:
i) the condition of a coin or banknote and therefore establish a market price for them,

4. Obligates each World Assembly member nation to regulate the buying and selling of coins and banknotes; urging nations to adopt rules such as:

a) issuing fair taxation of sales in formal auctions and licensed currency dealers’ shops,
b) creating a license system for those who wish to formally sell currency,

5. Demands in one way or another that each World Assembly member nation preserve certain editions of its coins and banknotes, while exempting nations that do not have an established monetary unit from this requirement.
Last edited by Buffett and Colbert on Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:54 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Rutianas wrote:

I shall deal with this.

Thank you. With that one phrase being added, we now see no issues with the proposal. However, we are still questioning why this is an international issue.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:09 pm

Rutianas wrote:Thank you. With that one phrase being added, we now see no issues with the proposal. However, we are still questioning why this is an international issue.

Buffett and Colbert understands your concerns. We believe any aspect of a nation's cultural heritage is vastly important and deserves recognition. However in many nations, the currency of a nation is vastly overlooked as a piece of their culture. We believe with this resolution, the situation can change.

Stephen Jims, now actually signing official telegrams.

OOC: Plus it's a hobby of mine.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:18 pm

We totally agree and support the resolution.
OVERLORD Daniel Mercury of Firstaria
Original Author of SC #5 and SC #30

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:06 pm

Rutianas wrote: Thank you. With that one phrase being added, we now see no issues with the proposal. However, we are still questioning why this is an international issue.

A nations currency is also a marvelous window into a country. They are in themselves miniature pieces of art, painstakingly engraved. They frequently feature images that are important to that country, its people and places, things they believe important. It is no less worthy of preservation than any other forms of art.

Lord Henry James,
Harberian Ambassador to the WA

Not Ta'veren

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:34 am

Grays Harbor wrote:A nations currency is also a marvelous window into a country. They are in themselves miniature pieces of art, painstakingly engraved. They frequently feature images that are important to that country, its people and places, things they believe important. It is no less worthy of preservation than any other forms of art.

Lord Henry James,
Harberian Ambassador to the WA

I understand that. But why should the WA force them to preserve it? In other words, why is it worthy of WA consideration? I just don't see where it's a concern of the GA to force a nation to preserve their money. I also don't see where it's a concern of the WA to preserve some random nation's art.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:59 am

TO: Paula Jenner, Rutianas Ambassador

28 July 2009

My Dear Ms. Jenner;

We should like to draw your attention to this clause:

d) creating an international standard grading system; this system shall clarify:
i) the condition of a coin or banknote and therefore establish a market price for them,

This Proposal is not merely about "forcing" each nation to preserve examples of their own coinage, it is about the preservations of all nations coinage, the preservation of art for all nations to enjoy. It is about the potential for a WA Museum of Numismatic Art. It is about encouraging people to look at the hobby and study of numismatics. It is about the creation of a central repository of coinage and information on numismatics for all nations to study and enjoy.

The preservation of Historic Places, Liturature and Art has been an item of WA consideration previously;

HISTORICAL RESOLUTION #97 Universal Library Coalition
HISTORICAL RESOLUTION #207 Cultural Heritage in War
HISTORICAL RESOLUTION #216 Protection of Historical Sites
HISTORICAL RESOLUTION #242 UN WA Access to Literacy Project
GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION #48 - Access to Science in Schools

Precedent has been set. How is this, an encouragement to the preservation and study of the numismatic forms of art any different?

In conclusion, this is not merely about each individual nation saving examples of their coinage and currency; It is about the preservation and study of all nations coinage and currency for the benefit of all.

Yours Sincerely
Lord James.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Not Ta'veren

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:02 am

Well, I think thanks to Grays Harbor, Charlotte Ryberg and a vast assortment of WA Delegates, Buffett and Colbert is ready to submit this proposal to the World Assembly.

Stephen Jims,
Ambassador to the WA

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:04 am

Then we are ready to endorse it once again. We hope that more delegates are also ready to endorse this as well.

Not Ta'veren

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:04 am

You have got my approval as Delegate, and my promise of an affirmative vote once it reaches the floor.

Confused Deaf-Blinds
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Confused Deaf-Blinds » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:01 pm

I'm finding it hard to see this as necessary. Shouldn't it be the job of a nations schools to educate its populace about their history and culture? We're already putting copious amounts of money into education, why should we need to increase spending on something the schools already or should already be doing?

Anagonia
Senator

Founded: Dec 18, 2003
Democratic Socialists

Postby Anagonia » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:10 pm

You have our support and vote should this reach the floor.
Founded: September 14th, 0 AUR
Capital: Liberty, State of Liberty, CSA
President: Mileethus Canisilus
Population: 430.5 Million Anagonians
GDP: D$34.1 Trillion
The Confederate States of Anagonia (MT/PMT)
An autonomous unity; A Confederate Republic whole.
Left-leaning Libertarianism - Human/Non-Human Society
Current Canon Year: 108 AUR (2034 AD)
Embassy Exchange Link | GATORnet v0.5.2b

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:02 pm

Confused Deaf-Blinds wrote:I'm finding it hard to see this as necessary. Shouldn't it be the job of a nations schools to educate its populace about their history and culture? We're already putting copious amounts of money into education, why should we need to increase spending on something the schools already or should already be doing?

museums and hobby organization are not the responsibility of schools. This does more than merely educate, that is only part of it. The preservation of coinage and currency is also a major part of this, as well as promoting the hobby and study of numismatics.

(OOC - The RW United Nations has programs similar to this for both stamp collecting and coin collecting, so this is not an unreasonable or frivolous thing.)

Not Ta'veren

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives