NATION

PASSWORD

The Citadel University Speaker Series [Open]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Havensky
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

The Citadel University Speaker Series [Open]

Postby Havensky » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:28 pm

Citadel University
Library District
Citadel City, Havensky

University President James Gatling smiled his wide smile as he walked the halls of the Grand Library. He was an older bald man long since retired from the grind of the business world and now relished his job of leading the growth of the best university in Gholgoth.

Managing a new university wasn’t exactly a bed or roses, but Gatling enjoyed his job. Citadel University was unique. It’s location on the coast of Citadel City allowed for unparalleled views of both the city skyline and Rico Bay. The city’s reputation for being a great destination for foreign travelers combined with the stellar reputation of Citadel City’s professors had enabled the university to attract a large and diverse student body.

In particular, the College of Diplomacy and Foreign Affairs attracted applicants from around the world who wanted to get a more global education. The College of Technology didn’t do so bad either in terms of attracting bright minds. His own College of Business was the largest, but he wasn’t allowed to play favorites.

Gatling still managed to teach some graduate level business classes, but most of his days were spent in meetings going over a variety of different administrative things. There was the budget, preparations to ask the board for more funding, building contracts, preparations to ask the board for permission to build more buildings, the reports from all the colleges, meeting with elected officials, meeting with the student body president, and finally meeting with his administrative assistant so that he could review all the notes from all the meetings.

It was an understatement to say that the university president was a busy man.

However, Gatling had made sure he had blocked out enough time in his calendar for this. The Citadel University Presidential Lecture Series. He had sent out invitations to political, business, and academic leaders to speak at the Library’s Windcharmer Auditorium. The venue was beautiful. The Grand Library was built like a cathedral to the learned arts. While most of the college was built with modern materials, the Grand Library was special. It had stone walls, stained glassed windows, and oak wood floors. The footsteps of students, particularly those wearing heels, echoed throughout the halls. Though, the days of students being in uniforms were long over. The students were a varied bunch from hoodies to suits to jeans to dresses. Gatling himself always wore a suit and tie - usually in red/blue colors of the Citadel University. As president, he felt a duty to be the biggest "Rook" fan of them all. Although, he didn't go to games bare chested and painting himself red/blue like the student body president did.

The Windcharmer Auditorium faced just to the south and the stained glass told the story of Prometheus stealing fire from the gods. If one looked closely, you could see Prometheus carrying fire across the heavens and down to earth as the sun traveled from left to right, The auditorium was perfectly suited for the lectures. The audience could seat five hundred people and each seat had it’s own pair of headphones that could provide translations in a variety of languages. The auditorium had camera equipment that could record the lectures for future use. It also boasted a small coffee and wine bar in the next suite called “The Speaker’s Lounge”. Gatling had arranged the series so that lecturers had the option of sitting behind the bar so that students could ask questions more one on one questions after the speech with the bartender helping to shuttle students on when their time was up.

For students, the series was free of charge and students were expected to attend at least once a month. People could also buy a ticket to the lecture which helped to fund travel for speakers. For Gatling, it was important that students hear from a variety of perspectives - and not just the traditional Skyan liberal ones either. Critical thinking was a prime virtue at the university and it was important for students to hear alternative points of view. Hate speech wasn’t tolerated of course. And there was one occasion where the speaker was being insulting to a minority group and the students responded by throwing cups of hot coffee at them - but for the most part the students would listen politely.

Gatling walked through the door of the auditorium and took out his notes. It was time to introduce one of the first speakers of the series.

OCC:
Hi, and welcome to the Citadel University Speaker Series! This is an open RP where you can send somebody from your nation to speak on almost any topic you choose to. It’s a great way to show off your nation’s point of view in a low-stakes environment. It’s completely open so feel free to post. After you post, I’ll post the audience reaction and may have the audience ask a question or two. The Speakers’ Lounge is also open for anyone to hang out while you’re waiting to speak or want to ask a previous speaker a question. Freedom of speech is highly valued so your characters are allowed to speak on whatever - but be warned that hate speech will get your speaker doused with hot coffee and thrown out.
Last edited by Havensky on Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Skybound Republic of Havensky
(Pronounced Haven-Sky)

Higher Japan
Senator

Founded: Oct 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Higher Japan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:39 pm

Empress Akichi walked onto the stage, before putting her things down and starting her talk.

"Today, before i start this talk, let me ask everyone one question, how many of you play video games, i know that it is a simple question. In the past, video games were obviously revolutionary, now it's a norm. You might be wondering why i'm talking about this, i'm talking about this because today's talk might just get you a career in gaming, esports. Esports is a sport that revolves around video games, and with sports obviously follows competitions which also includes monetary rewards. Esports at first was a highly thought of in most parts of the world, as an unrealistic idea, and now look where we are, games in this modern age like Clash Royale have competition, something that would've been laughed at long ago. Today, with enough time and thinking, anyone of you in this whole room could be a professional gamer. Now, i know you might be thinking that it's easy, but in reality, it's not.

In Esports, your strategy could also revolve around a few important pillars for winning war.

The first pillar is cooperation.in games like Counter strike global offensive, cooperation is of the most importance, whereas if there was no cooperation, everyone could be easily picked off one by one, resulting in a defeat. Where if there was cooperation, everyone could be covered, and a flanking attack could be used, increasing chances of victory. Likewise with how armies work, in order for an invasion to be a success, cooperation is required of all three basic branches of the military, the army, navy and air force. The army storms the beach, while the other branches provide cover

The second pillar would be the leader. The leader is of course the alpha, and controls mostly all of his members actions. Even they have no experience, is stubborn and inflexible, they would be unable to adapt and change to the situation, they would be bested. Whereas if a leader who had no experience as well, but was receptive to the team's feedback and is flexible to adapt to the situation, they have a better chance of kicking ass.

The last pillar important, is doctrine. Doctrine in terms of war refers to a strategy used by an army, like the blitzkrieg. It is easy to counter once seen, and also teaches you to accept defeat, as you need to learn their doctrine from defeat, before making your counterattack. Another important factor would be your mental strength. Under pressure, you must know how how to react.

Anyone can become a professional player, with a strong basis and a good team that works together, victory can be ensured.That is how war strategies can be factored into game strategies. Any questions?"
We don't use NS stats
A -0 civilization, according to this index.
Mod warning counter:
Unofficial: 1
NOTICE: As of 14/10, the empress has officially been granted greater control of the government, including military and financial sectors. That is all, have a good day.

Christoslavia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Christoslavia » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:43 pm

SUPREME OVERLORD walked up to the microphone, the sun shining through the stained glass windows glimmering off of his perfectly polished medals, of which his chest was full. His hair was neatly parted, his uniform crisp and wrinkle free, he looked at the audience with a hard stare, the face of a man who had seen a lot of war, and a lot of death. Stiffness permeated his entire figure as he adjusted the microphone in well executed movements, he stood at attention at first, then gradually relaxed as the near 70 year old man prepared to speak.. and so he cleared his throat.

"Good evening ladies and gentleman, may I say it is a pleasure to be a guest here, in a marvellous city with marvellous people. I am SUPREME OVERLORD, Ruler of the Eternal Empire of Christoslavia, and have been for some 30+ years.

Today, I would like to speak to you all about the realities of this world we live in, whichever school you attend at this prestiguous university, you are bound to encounter these truths at some point in your lives as you all go on to be global citizens. By every standard, I am what you would call a dictator, my nation a dictatorship. But what seperates a dictator from the monarchs of old? What is the negative connotation with dictator that makes it worse than serdom, the old monarchies and caliphates of history? Rule of one man is nothing new to human history, although it is true we have developed mroe refined ethics in the modern era, ethics are arbitrary. Human rights are decided by the ones in power, and so human rights are based on arbitrary values, which makes none of us the judge and jury of such things as much as we argue otherwise.

I am not here to preach to you the blessings and priveliges of authoritarianism, just to offer you the perspective. I rule my land with an iron fist, the people by your standards are terribly oppressed in terms of freedoms and rights, but still have the pleasure of living out their lives, and even advancing in society, along the standards set by my regime. I am neither a fascist nor a communist. All economic forms except capitalism, from which we rebelled against many years ago, are incorporated in our economy and politics, we encompass a broad range of conservative and liberal values, however we are run by a command economy, with private enterprise illegal. Profit is not the goal in our society, but duty. The Military permeates every inch of life, we have an unnaturally large and advanced military which has been very involved in the global war on terror. We do not believe in any threats to the rule of law, therefore the terrorists we are fighting could be communists, islamists, fascists, capitalists, what have you, it does not matter if we are fighting to prop up a nation ideologically opposed to us like a democracy; they are all the same to us...rebels, and we respect other nations sovereignty and right to rule by law. In Christoslavia, dissent is treason, and I do not often practice cognitive dissonance. I am a man of my word.

In this world, you will encounter dictators like me who are equally vile, but their personality cults are not built on a love or dedication to their country or people's, but for themselves. Their are narcissists, egomaniacs, true tyrants in it only for themselves. These dictators are unpredictable, and I'd argue more dangerous than I for their lack of rationality. These men are the monsters. Especially you foreign diplomacy students, will unfortunately have to experience them in one way or another. Dictatorship and authoritarianism is not as broad a brush as one would think. There is much room for nuance."

He waited a moment as the audience looked on, with a varying degree of reactions

"Questions?"
Last edited by Christoslavia on Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE ETERNAL EMPIRE OF CHRISTOSLAVIA
This country is no longer a totalitarian nightmare version of my rl views
Economic Left/Right: -4.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.08
IATA Member

Christoslavia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Christoslavia » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:43 pm

OOC: im sorry if i went out of any particular order you posted that just before I uploaded mine
IATA Member

Bernardias
Secretary

Founded: Feb 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

On the Doctrine of Power-politics, Militarism, and Empire

Postby Bernardias » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:43 am

Herman Frederick Klein, Second Army Corp Major-General, Imperial Army

Herman Frederick Klein sat quietly, waiting for his turn to speak to the students of the Citadel University. Compared to the other speakers and the students, the Major General felt out of place. Sitting there, in full Prussian dress uniform, Herman stood out like a sore thumb. "When the Kaiser said a foreign tour, speaking to a bunch of louts who've never fired a gun before was not what I had in mind" mumbled the Major-General, now in his mid fourties. When his turn came he rose, and slowly walked towards his place. "Students, esteemed faculty, and guests" he began . "It is an honor to speak at such a prestigious university, thought quite different from the one I went too" he said chuckling. "I attended Koingsbürg Academy of Military Doctrine and graduated with a post in West Swabia. I served in the Yubak Wars and fought communist insurgents in the 100 Days Rebellion in East Prussia" he told them for introductory purposes.

"Today I am here to discuss the topics of the power-politics of nations, the necessity of militarism and Empire." Herman pulled out a pair of glasses from his coat pocket to read the papers in front of him. "Since the day God created man, to our present hour, the wealth of nations is decided by the knowns and unknowns of world politics, wherein all nations no matter how just or cruel, enhance the position of state through power-politics. The Empire of Bernardias is no exception, nor is your own. Diplomatic maneuvering, gunboat diplomacy and strong arm tactics won your nation the Island of Pravoka did it not?" he told the students, hoping they had studied their own history. "The very lifeblood of the state comes from its will to survive, and expand influence. The 1st Yubak War between my nation and the pesky state of Derno-Yubacia, which had grown from a small border conflict with the neighboring Breesnoska, quickly drew our attention when Derno-Yubacia invaded. Fortunate for Breesnoska, Bernardian businesses were enjoying special privileges in Breesnoska and the threat of a collapsing market led to the SMS-Kaiser and SMS Bernard to bombard the capital, and the landing of a force of 13,000 men under the command of Field Marshall Hans Grubber and myself, only a Major then. Of course the later Yubak wars were over more than just our interests, yet the very core of all the wars were power politics and need to influence. No leader in any context can hope to last long if he does not use influence and power to achieve his or her agenda" the man continued, pausing for a drink of water.

"Now many of you know the very core of national power politics is militarism. I come from a long line of Prussian officers, each serving in a different war, going as far back as the Sepreatist War and the Samaria Wars. However I digress. The very lifeblood of the Bernardian state is our Prussian militarism. Each young Bernardian Prussian is instilled with the virtues of national pride, discipline, honor and the great prestige of military service, when they are young boys they learn to fire a gun and fight each other in manly outdoorsman fun. In their teens they will learn to goosestep, march in formation and to fight with aggressive vigor! When the time comes for the man to attend college, there is nothing in his mind more prestigious or honorable than a military academy, or enlisting immediately. Our nations moral backbone is upheld with the Freikorp Moral Police, where young men of faith come to enforce the moral amendments of our Prussian Consitituion. Our state could not have reached this far without militarism. Imagine your own lives as soldiers."

"Now onto my final topic. Empire. The coveted title of every nation, wether admitted or not. No nation will ever be content with their meager resources and boundaries. It is natural fact of every state to ever exist in history. The Bernardian State formed by the triggering of the Separatist Wars, when the Field Marshall of Bernard-Prussia conquered the states compromising of the nearby Bolvan Union, leading to the conflict of the Separatist Wars over the course of 45 years, the fragmented Olmian Empire, comprised of decentralized states and unions, tore itself apart when the North Harnal Confedration declared independence, and promptly attacked the Federation of Independent Cantons and then it's own member states. Through empire, Bernardias ended 45 years of on and off destructive conflict that left a total of 3 million dead and 12 million in total casualties. Empire brought the dying automobile market into the Yellowheue Republic which had closed its doors to foreign trade, saving the wealth of our own nation. When a nation has the power and prestige to claim Empire. The nation has saved itself from self-destruction" Herman finished, closing his paper and pocketing it, as well as his glasses. "Are there any questions?" he asked.
In the Kaisers Name:

Gott Mitt Uns

Havensky
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havensky » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:30 pm

Empress Akichi
The students listened to the Empress politely and were quite surprised to hear a pitch about e-sports. While those in the Software Development Department had understood that Higher Japan had a large and flourishing gaming industry like Havensky, the rest of the student body was caught by surprise.

The empress received a fair amount of applause when she was done. Several students from the software development department and business school headed to the Speaker’s Lounge to ask not about becoming an e-sports player, but rather advice on creating the next generation of esports games.

SUPREME OVERLORD
The student body had listened intently to Supreme Overlord of Christoslavia’s speech. This was one of the few opportunities to listen to an outright dictator outside of the usual propaganda reels issued out by other nations.

It was, jarring, to say the least to listen to the Supreme Overlord speak without a shred of compassion. Skyan leaders were expected to care about their people. Of course, Skyan leaders had to win elections.

There were no real questions for the dictator. The students had been too polite to openly challenge the overlord to open debate - since it wasn’t that kind of forum - but there had been grumblings in the crowd. The overlord was given polite applause.

Herman Frederick Klein
While most of the students had settled in for what they assumed would be another ‘the benefits of authoritarian governments’ speech, they sat up in their chairs upon mention of Pravoka. Most foreigners hadn’t realized that the port city in the Eastern Mediterranean belonged to the Skybound Republic nor knew the story of how the became a Skyan city. This had impressed many of the students.

The diplomacy students grumbled a bit at the notion that militarism was the core of a nation’s power. The Skyan school of diplomacy involved a greater focus on the aspect of soft power rather than military strength. For sure, the Skyans had a large military by normal standards but compared to other nations in Gholgoth it was quite small. It was also the least preferred method of getting policy goals accomplished. That said, some of the students did seem to recognize the logic behind the arguments.

There were also grumblings about the thought that all nations wanted to pursue the title of empire, but not as much as the Klein might have thought. When the Skybound Republic won its Gothic territories, there was a movement to declare the nation the Skyan Empire. However, popular opinion had turned on the idea quickly since the new territories would be given full fledged city-state status and would be considered equal under the law. Empire also implied a certain power over its states - a power which the central government didn’t have.

As Klein finished, he was greeted with light applause. As with the other speakers, he was escorted to the Speaker’s Lounge in case anyone had any questions or wanted to interact with the other speakers.
(Pronounced Haven-Sky)

Finium
Senator

Founded: Nov 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Finium » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:21 pm

Sir Phoebus Richardson, a tired sort of fellow in academic uniform, was the director of the National Academy of the Diplomatic Corps. The Academy was funded by the armed services to educate the upper echelon of the military on how to engage as diplomats. After several unsavory beatings at the close of the nineteenth century the school had been a necessity, it now served as the de facto school of diplomacy in Finium, funneling graduated into the foreign service and funneling the warriors out of the public eye. Wisps of hair on either side of his bald head formed a triangle with his pale, white goatee. He stood for several long, uncomfortable moments, quietly polishing his round spectacles and peering at the audience with squinted eyes.

“I should begin by saying that I have plagiarized everything in this speech from Dr. David Marianna, one of my former pupils” his humorous tone was dusty and creaked a little as though jokes were a loose board that had unexpectedly squeaked when he trod upon it. “I say this because Dr. Marianna is a very clever man and I think referencing him might make me sound more believable.”

He chuckled at his own joke, but ended it with a subtle cough. He donned his spectacles and produced loose leaf paper scribbled over hand-drawn diagrams and marginalia.

“Many people will disagree with me, but diplomatic discourse happens within a vacuum. Many people believe that diplomacy is a zero-sum game of wants, needs, and culture confusion. To believe this, however, is to imply that diplomacy is the definite science of accountants who merely change over values from one account to another. Diplomacy is, however, far more malleable.”

He produced a diagram from his notes, a series of boxes that were knitted together by a web of arrows and dotted lines. He took a moment to peer at his own handwriting suspiciously before continuing.

“Really, it is authority butting up against equal and opposite authority. Nation-states, act like bubbles that swell until they coincide with other bubbles. We should assume, like all good diplomats, that the bubbles are impermeable and permanent. The conjunction of these bubbles—or spheres of absolute political influence if you will—is where diplomacy happens. The interesting thing about this pipe-dream voyage you have embarked on with me is that the area of those intersections are painfully finite.”

Another dry chuckle hissed out, soft and gentle, much like the popping of so many bubbles.

“The intersection is where diplomacy occurs. It occurs in an area proportional to the areas of the intersecting spheres. Now I know you are about to fall asleep, disappointed in the mathematical and over imaginative vision I have presented, but fear not, for I will abandon it soon. The point is this: diplomatic relationships are finite coincidences between specific individuals. The bubbles do not collide and the entirety of their influences are not exerted on one another, they merely coincide at times.”

The first diagram vanished, replaced in the fragile, veiny hands of Phoebus by a doodle of two men shaking hands, each with a balloon in the other hand.

“Therefore, much of diplomacy has nothing to do with national values or military might at all, but is merely interpersonal dynamics. I do not mean this exclusively of course, you might call it interpersonal international relations, but I won’t call it that until I get around to publishing this. Working under this assumption, I have three applications that I think you might find practically useful rather than academically functional.”

Another dry chuckle and shuffling of papers.

“First, research is critical. I will explain why momentarily. Secondly, assume everything you can. When people coincide as diplomats there are inherently equal representatives of impermeable spheres of absolute political influence—bubbles or nation-states for those of you who are keeping up. Essentially, there is vagueness is that equality and it is decided by what the diplomat presumes and assumes. You should make assumptions about what the other party is willing to give up on an extremely personal level. This can take many forms. For example, during the First Marten War, the Prime Minister of Emperor Luke Ozazias wrote one hundred pages of letters discussing the willingness of the Marten representative, Prince Grothia Charn, to give up claims to castles that controlled access to the Aspidan Pass. When the treaty was signed, Prince Grothia gave up those castles without a single word of discussion merely because he had been worried that the Prime Minister would demand a tribute of horses. Thus, had the Prime Minister understood his opponent at the negotiation and assumed the Prince’s cooperation, he could have spent his many hundreds of pages demanding horses and crippled the Marten cavalry. In another instance, Minister Nix met with President Jürgen Samuelsson. Minister Nix, who was negotiating on behalf of Emperor Olegario Estavan at the time, assumed that Jürgen was a nonsmoker like most of his countrymen. Minister Nix planned the negotiation in the restored Palace of Windows, which has a strict nonsmoking policy. In the seventeenth hour of negotiation, however, Jürgen acquiesced 17 major claims of the treaty so that he could smoke.”

“While these parables may appear disjointed and unrelated—the reveal a key component of diplomacy that is forgotten amongst the minutiae of power balances and economic outputs. Adopt the assumptions of your counterparts! You see, conflicts come from when both sides adopt mutually exclusive assumptions. However, should you, the clever diplomatic students of the future, consider first what your opponent has assumed you want or are willing to give, you will find yourself tipping the balance of interpersonal communication.”

“Third: research is critical. Your ability to comprehend the decisions already made by other diplomats hinges on your ability to understand them personally, culturally, and politically. If you can understand someone so well that you can be friends, even if they are the most despicable e-sport playing knob-polisher in the world, you will be a far more successful diplomat than I could ever hope to be.”

“So remember: research is critical, make assumptions, research is critical.”
big chungus, small among us

Havensky
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havensky » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:44 pm

Tadashi almost spat out his coffee with a curse.

He had been slacking off this quarter and it was coming back to bite him. His Critical Thinking professor required that students attend at least two of these events per before the midterm and he had waited till the last minute. Which meant that he was stuck with this one.

“Really, it is authority butting up against equal and opposite authority. Nation-states, act like bubbles that swell until they coincide with other bubbles. We should assume, like all good diplomats, that the bubbles are impermeable and permanent. The conjunction of these bubbles—or spheres of absolute political influence if you will—is where diplomacy happens. The interesting thing about this pipe-dream voyage you have embarked on with me is that the area of those intersections are painfully finite."

Chikushō! was Tadashi's first thought. He was screwed. The class required that one be able to listen to an argument and understand it well enough to recite it in their own words and support it with additional evidence. The research bit was easy enough. Havensky had sent Sir Vincent Profecta as a mediator between The Resurgent Dream and Xirnium precisely because as a chaplain and a Heartknight he was doubly unimpeachable. He could be trusted - which proved vital when it turned out a third party had started the war.

The bubbles.. were a different story. He... he just couldn't follow. Which was a problem because once you were able to recite the argument you were then expected to be able to utterly and completely eviscerate the same theory. Any graduate of the Skyan School of Diplomacy worth their salt was expected to be able utilize their rhetorical skills to punch holes in flawed arguments the size of airships. The point of the course was to be able deconstruct a policy and lay out all the frames and kick out the ones that were rotten. In the reverse, they should also be able to lay down supporting arguments to enable the same policy to withstand the force of a hurricane. It wasn't to train Skyan diplomats and bureaucrats to be able to talk out of both sides of their mouth. It was to enable them to refine policy by ensuring all the weakness was wrenched out.

The problem... and the reason for Tadashi's distress...was that the argument hinged on...bubbles.. and he was completely lost.

As the professor finished, Tadashi hurried over to the Speaker's Lounge to attempt...somehow...to get him to explain it again.
(Pronounced Haven-Sky)

Christoslavia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Christoslavia » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:05 pm

Waiting Room

SUPREME OVERLORD was delighted by the crowd, but disappointed that not one of these democratic students sought to argue the virtues of democracy. However he well understood this wasn't necessarily that kind of forum, and was appreciative that they listened. While in the waiting room, he surveyed the other speakers, trying to read each one, and listened to each of their speeches with intent and intrigue. He further waited to see if any student would come to challenge him one on one.
IATA Member

Bezlan-Fahvgorad
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezlan-Fahvgorad » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:30 pm

Boris Vlahovic sat in his chair, waiting for the allocated time that the lecture was to begin. He wore a Fur Coat and Wool trousers, necessary for the bitter cold of his homeland. unnecessary here. When it time he stood, tall and proud, he then began speaking. "It is a honor to speak at such a esteemed place of learning, in my homeland Bezlan-Fahvgorad, such places are rare. My name is Boris Vlahovic, former Colonel in the Bezlan-Fahvgorad Republican Army during the 28 year Bezlan-Fahvgorad civil war. I fought both the Emperors brigands, and the savages in the Communist Peoples Revolutionary Front. I've had enough of war, I've spent most of my life in it, and I've had enough. Now i travel the world, trying to educate people like you as best as i can."

The general coughs for a few seconds, then continues "Today i wish to propose the idea of a Militant Republic, while answering some of the unfounded claims made against my nation. After the war, Fyodor Durov general of the BFRA established a new revolutionary form of Government, the aforementioned "Militant Republic" a Militant Republic functions much like a normal Republic, except for the fact that full citizenship is only given to those who have served atleast 15 years in our armed forces. Only full citizens may vote, our become politicians. Before i go on i must address a few misconceptions that many people have on our system, non citizens are not oppressed in any way, human rights apply to them fully. They just have no power in our political process, now let me explain why."

After a short moment of recollecting his thoughts, Boris continues with his lecture "You ask why? why would someone who is sick of war approve of a Militant system? that seems counter intuitive no? surely a act of doublethink! No it is not, because a Militant Republic prevents war. Mr Fyodor found that politicians out of touch with reality will gladly throw the lives of soldiers away for political gain or economic profit. But if those politicians have experienced the horrors of war first-hand, and know the difficulties of being a soldier, perhaps they would be less inclined to spend the lives of men, no?"

Boris takes out a flask from his Coat pocket, and drinks what is presumably water. "Some say that are system is un-democratic, that it limits the freedoms of those who refuse military service. To those i say that it is justified, when you become a solider. You sacrifice your personnel freedoms and comfort and even safety in protecting your nation. You ensure a Nations independence and sovereignty, you are the shield that protects the nation from outside threats. Why should those who have done nothing for the Government, be allowed to change it on their whims? only those who have served are morally fit to determine the future of the Nation."

Boris pauses for a minute then continues " On a final note the military instills honor, discipline, integrity, and national pride in the men and women who serve. It protects us all from threats both foreign and domestic, and is one of the most honorable professions a man can get himself into. You could say that I'm that I'm anti war, but pro military... any questions?
Last edited by Bezlan-Fahvgorad on Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join this thread if you want to influence Bezlan-Fahvgorads future
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=404244

Havensky
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havensky » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:47 am

Supreme Overlord

There was one student who stared at the Supreme Overlord with malevolence. She was about nineteen and dressed in the latest Skyan fashion. Most people would not have questioned her nationality or country of birth. Of course, it was different in the Skybound Republic. The Skyans boasted every shade of human and it was impossible to tell at a glance who was from where originally.

She hadn't spoken much, but if she had she would have had just a hint of a Christoslavian accent diluted by the cosmopolitan cocktail of different words and tongues.

She was a refugee. Her family had fled Christoslavia before she could walk. Her father hadn't made it. When her family had arrived in Havensky, they had changed their names. They became new people.

Her name was Liberty.

Liberty's friends had been by her side the entire time. It would be her choice to confront the man. The man whose minions had killed her father. The man who had caused so much anguish and sufferance upon her family. On the side of confrontation, the idea that she's never get another chance like this. On the opposite, the fact that it wouldn't change anything on it's own and actions born of anger were ill advised.

She simmered in her chair. She wished she was as brave as her mother.

Boris Vlahovic

The crowd listed to the general with interest. It was an intriguing concept. However, like a dissertation committee there were those in the crowd that would start to pick apart the concept in their heads.

"What of those not fit for military service? Even if they are willing to serve, if they can't perform their duty what happens to them?"

"Fifteen years is a long time, how would you train doctors? The military needs doctors. Would they be denied citizenship during their training?"

"Wouldn't having a huge military be tempting for a leader to use? Wouldn't it just encourage more warfare?"

"Does humanitarian service make one eligible?"

That last part was an important question to the Skyans who had sought to find ways to discourage warfare in the region. The Skyans had compulsory service, but it wasn't just a military service. It was often tied to either the Humanitarian Fleet or other forms of giving back to one's community.

There were other interesting implications to what the general was proposing.
(Pronounced Haven-Sky)

Bezlan-Fahvgorad
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezlan-Fahvgorad » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:13 pm

Boris sat, tall and proud. While listening with interest to some of the questions send his way. He was impressed with the students of this University, and the intelligence in their questions. Soon he began to answer the questions to the best of his ability.

"What of those not fit for military service? Even if they are willing to serve, if they can't perform their duty what happens to them?" asked one student

After contemplating the answer for half a dozen seconds, Boris began to speak. "Truthfully we have no such people, the 28 year civil war that ravaged my great nation has ended only very recently. Famine and mass killing were common, it was hard for the fit and strong who could pull their own weight to survive. Most people too weak to serve, died in the war. Though that is an issue that i could see occurring in the future, i will make sure to bring it up when i eventually travel back to Bezlan-Fahvgorad."

"Fifteen years is a long time, how would you train doctors? The military needs doctors. Would they be denied citizenship during their training?" one inquisitive student asked.

"Our Military at this point is more a loose collection of well trained Militia's rather than a professional, standing military. Being a soldier in our military is not a full time job, and one could easily enough be part of the military while pursuing an education." Boris replied

"Wouldn't having a huge military be tempting for a leader to use? Wouldn't it just encourage more warfare?" said one student.

Boris contemplated the question for around half a minute, then answered with vigor. "Because in our country those who want power, put their lives on the line to attain it. In many countries, politicians and the general public are disconnected, the politician does not care for the lives of the young men who would be sacrificed in such a war. In our country, full citizens and politicians are one in the same. Politicians not only know the plights of a soldier firsthand, but also likely still have friends and acquaintances, maybe even family in the military. We hope this is enough to ensure that no unnecessary wars are started, alongside with that of our voter base, all ex military as-well."

"Does humanitarian service make one eligible?" asked another student

"in truth no, as we have no Humanitarian services. Not because we have no cares for the plights of the people of the world, but because we are selves are a country that requires aid. As our country has been devastated due to the war. Though i personally think that once our country has been modernized and repaired, that we should implement a humanitarian aspect to are military."

The colonel coughs, his lungs damaged by years of Cigar abuse. "I will admit that you are some the most intelligent men and women i have had the pleasure to talk to. While i wish i could stay here all day answering your questions, i have to cut this session short to allow time for another's lecture. I hope that some of you visit me in the speakers lounge. Either to ask me more question on our form of Government, or if you just want to converse with a grumpy old veteran. Its been a pleasure. " and with that Boris set off towards the speakers lounge, a smile on his lips.
Last edited by Bezlan-Fahvgorad on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Join this thread if you want to influence Bezlan-Fahvgorads future
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=404244

Christoslavia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Christoslavia » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:26 pm

Speaker's Lounge

"That Boris fellow's a real kicker isn't he? I like him.", Supreme Overlord thought to himself. Besides that, something was distracting him, something familiar, and haunting...

He had seen a face in that crowd, one that reminded him of 20 years prior, almost halfway into his reign yet still a tumultuous period. He thought of the Socialist insurgency, the "freedom fighters", the killings, the defectors. Thankfully nobody had to worry about that anymore, since about 18 years ago he had made it mandatory for all citizens to be fitted with GPS chips, and 19 years ago the border was shut down to immigration and emmigration. Anyone who still managed to escape was usually kidnapped and killed or sent to a "re-education" center. As the state motto went, "Dissent is treason", and dissent could very well ruin everything he had worked to build.

SUPREME OVERLORD did not overthrow a capitalist hegemony, bring Christoslavians out of slavery into a realm of global power and prestige, eliminate poverty, and overall care for the vast majority of people, as well as watch millions die during the revolution, just for people to decide it wasn't good enough, and to start over ago. These people weren't patriots, they didn't understand. And those that did only lost their way. But there was something nonetheless about that girl...He had lost himself in his little internal dialogue when he snapped back to reality. He pulled out his phone and on a secure line called the Minister of Intelligence.

"Batavian, send me the files we have on Lucas Ortaron."
"Any particular reason sir?"
"Curiosity, and unease."
"It will be done, files transferring"
Last edited by Christoslavia on Sat May 06, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IATA Member

Havensky
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havensky » Sat May 06, 2017 7:56 pm

Dr. Gatling read the email on his phone as his stomach dropped. The Dean of Student's Office was supposed to have caught these kinds of situations in advance. He had just been informed by the Dean that Liberty Whitewing was originally from Christoslavia. Normally, the Dean's office talked with each student that was a refugee before sending out an invite. As much as the University valued free speech, in these kinds of particular situations they usually let the refugee students have a say in if they got invited or not. Sometimes, a student would organize a protest. Other times, the student would ask the speaker not to be invited. On rare occasion, the student wouldn't have strong feelings about it either way. (Usually, this happened when the student moved when they were very young and didn't really remember much from the old country.)

However, Liberty wasn't consulted.

"Ms. Whitewing...Sumimasen! Ms. Whitewing, excuse me!", Gatling said at just a few decibels above his normally quiet tone. Liberty turned around to face him.

"Yes Dr. Gatling?"

"Ms. Whitewing, I must apoligize. We didn't realize you're background until after the Overlord arrived. Are you ok?" "

Liberty contorted her face a bit as if she were still deciding.

"On your application, you had listed your hometown as Eldertree we assumed you had been born there. When you entered elementary school, you were listed as Skyan. So, on your transcripts it showed you as Skyan. To us, you've always been Skyan."

Liberty turned her head a bit.

"I suppose I've always been Skyan too."

OCC:
Apologies for the delayed response on this.
(Pronounced Haven-Sky)

Christoslavia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Christoslavia » Sat May 06, 2017 9:40 pm

OOC: My since this started I've actually become a partial democracy and have actually established a cannon, which doesnt involve GPS chips in the citizens. But ill continue this in character as a non canon event.
IATA Member

Vanadrene
Attaché

Founded: Jul 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Vanadrene » Sun May 07, 2017 12:12 am

Professor Stephan Lumina shuffled his half-dozen, off-white index cards as he stood behind the podium. He had scribbled on them a series of notes that he hoped he wouldn’t have to refer to - but this being a talk that would be open to questions begged more preparation. Lumina had long been part of the radical Vanadrenean tradition, and was a member of the Communist Party since the days of its underground, clandestine operations against the old bourgeois state. Now, with eight years passed since the seizure of power by the working class, and with a comfortable position near the top of academic prestige at the Vanadrene City University, he took his and his nation’s ideology on the road (and on this day, to a certain auditorium at Citadel University).

“Before I begin, I would like to thank President Gatling, and the whole University staff, for their kindness and generosity in facilitating this talk - and in fact dialogue that I hope to have with you all - today. I would like to also thank everyone in attendance for giving your time to hear what a delegate from a far-away nation, one that I’m sure you’ve heard a great deal about, both positive and negative, has to say about socialism, communism, imperialism, and the fight to emancipate humanity.”

Among the most powerful words in any language on this planet are “it does not have to be this way”. Those words contain an incredible amount of potential for awakening people from despair, and the shaking the masses from hopelessness and despondency.
You need not look any further than myself for someone who has lived through a revolution - a fundamental shift and qualitative change in the way society operates and is organized. I was involved in the fight for radical social and economic reforms starting from a time where that wasn’t very popular. When I finally found the organization of the Communist Party of Vanadrene - a Party that not only had the correct ideas about how to change things, but had a concrete plan, and a revolutionary leadership that I felt was capable of implementing and fighting for these plans - I knew I had a new home.

Vanadrene under the dictatorship of capitalism was much like many other places - widespread homelessness, crippling debt, privatized health care available only to the well-off, an education system that was stacked against the poor, and a social safety net that shrunk by the year. Our police and military were overfunded and armed to the teeth; always the loyal servants of the capitalist class, every demonstration and protest against the outrages and abuses of the bourgeois state were met with increasingly brutal force. It was after a certain May Day protest in which at least ten were slain by riot police that I and dozens of others, many Party members, were arrested. They held us on rioting charges, and if they had discovered we were Communists, we could face extended imprisonment and torture. I had friends who were locked up for more than four years without charges officially being filed, no court dates, or trials.

I just happened to share a cell with four other members, one of whom was Clark Stanimir. He was only recently elected as the General Secretary of our Party, but despite his new position in leadership, he was out there in the streets with the rest of us cadres. It was totally within his self-sacrificing nature to do this, and indeed he rallied us in the jail that night on this basis, that everything we did was to serve the people, and fight for the emancipation of all workers. I remember well the tone of his voice as he channeled Mao in that bleak, concrete cell. He said to us, “A revolutionary should look upon the interests of the revolution as his very life.”

My belief that we could win was solidified in that moment. I came to know in the months and years following, as we transitioned from an illegal to legal Party, and as the winds of change began to more swiftly blow over the Vanadrenean political landscape, that we had something that those we opposed lacked. We had then, and have now, a rare and precious leader, our honorable General Secretary Clark Stanimir, who dedicated his life to building revolution, and gives his entire being to its defense and progress today.
Every citizen of Vanadrene enjoys and holds dear the rights that are guaranteed to us by the Constitution of our People’s Socialist Republic - rights that you will never see in a capitalist nation. These include the right to housing, food, healthcare, quality education, and for the great masses of workers and youth to be an active part of the process for emancipating humanity from class division. Every person does their part to contribute to the great socialist construction, and in turn, their needs are met with efficiency and fervor by the Worker’s state, led by the vanguard of the People.

The Communist Party’s role in leadership is enshrined in the constitution, as the Communist Party is the premier and primary expression of class consciousness of the working class. This historically necessary mandate was brought about the revolution itself - the radical overturn of the old order paved the way for the creation of worker’s power in the same swift move. Under socialism, the needs and desires of the people are directly expressed through the institutions of worker’s councils and local People’s Assemblies. A radical new form of democracy has been instituted to replace the corrupt and stale nepotism of bourgeois parliamentary dictatorship.

When the revolution came to power, the economy of Vanadrene had imploded. Millions were out of work, banks were refusing to give back the money people had deposited, and more and more wealth had been concentrated into a few’s hands.
Very quickly we knew that something not only had to be done to reverse this for the good of all Vanadreneans, but also to show the world what socialism could accomplish in a very short period of time. It was the will of the masses that all of the productive forces of society - all those mechanisms and properties which had come into being under capitalism for the purpose of profit must be repurposed to suit human need. The only way we could bring this about was a direct and unapologetic undertaking to bring these industries under public ownership at the soonest possible time. The mass nationalization of industry was undertaken at a rate unheard of in any other socialist society. Everywhere you looked, another factory was being taken over by workers, another workplace was being democratized before your eyes. Workers and students experienced a tremendous awakening in both political expression and basic control over their lives.

It was this period of time that characterized and set the stage for the more advanced periods of revolutionary progress. For the first time, workers had made a genuine victory for themselves after decades of defeats and nominal successes, and all through this process people came to know that this would be impossible without the leadership of the Communist Party. A revolution can be chaotic, directionless, and ultimately accomplish little if there is not a guiding force to manage and direct the energies released through struggle. Additionally, if a revolution has faulty or revisionist leadership, deadly mistakes and miscalculations can sour and derail the project, leading to the restoration of old oppressions and the erosion of rights and accomplishments.

It is for this reason, coupled with the ferocity with which the bourgeoisie fights back and attacks our movements from their inceptions, that we have, and must proclaim a position of authoritarian might against the enemies of the people. We come to this conclusion not out of lust for power or vengeance against our enemies, but a scientific material analysis of the historical progression and trends of class society. We study very deeply and with open minds in regards to the relevance that they hold today, the immortal works of Marx, Engels, Lenin, and Stalin. That great tradition of revolutionary thought and theory have provided our Party with the beginnings of a framework to not only build socialism and strive towards world communism, but to defend those gains that we make from those who wish to crush us.

We do not apologize when we restrict the rights of the reactionaries to speak, or when we restrict the capitalists from forming political organizations that aim to destroy worker’s power and bring back the old chains of oppression. We do not shudder at the thought of silencing mercilessly the purveyors of sexist hatred and rape apology, those who wish to keep half of humanity enslaved. We do not blink an eye at banning the hatred of white supremacist racism and removing from our shores by any means those who advocate for it. Such activity is treasonous to Vanadrene and a betrayal of the oppressed of the entire world, who look to Vanadrene for guidance and light in this period of rising tensions and fascist resurgence.

We pride ourselves in upholding the policy of proletarian internationalism. We stand shoulder to shoulder with the peoples of any country that stands up to imperialism and world finance capital. Wherever workers have risen up and taken power, we are be there to greet them with open arms, and take up arms ourselves to help them defend that power. We stand unapologetically with People’s Korea in their struggle against American Imperialism, and in their rights to use nuclear weapons to do so. We stand with socialist Cuba, which has struck its own road to communism and kept the revolutionary traditions and spirit of the legendary Fidel Castro alive. We stand also with Lamerika, People’s China, Nocvep, Valgora, and Vietnam.

I hope that I have conveyed to you clearly the positions of our Party and leadership, and what we stand for in our socialist construction and international solidarity. Marxism is not a dogma, it’s a scientific way of looking at the world and analysing it, and as such it must thrive on discussion and contradiction. In that spirit, I will now open the floor for questions.”
☭ REVOLUTION, NOTHING LESS ☭
"Religion is the doctrine of submission - blind obedience; Marxism is the doctrine of rebellion - ever more conscious rebellion" - Bob Avakian
"It is right to rebel against reactionaries" - Mao Zedong

Havensky
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havensky » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:54 pm

The students were generally supportive of the government helping to level the playing field. After all, Havensky provided its residents with free healthcare, education, and public transportation. Of course, it was widely understood that none of it was free - it was paid through your tax bill.

What the student pressed the speaker on was the insistence that authoritarian measures were required to keep their system of government in place. It was an eminently slippery slope to ban one set of speech and allow another because it matches your political ideology. Some of the more moderate students found the zeal of Lumina a bit cultish. It was hard to imagine keeping one's mental state that devoted all the time.

Socialist policies like universal healthcare was one thing, full blown communism was another. The primary purpose of companies was to make money. That meant they had to out-hire, out-innovate, and find new markets if they wanted to be successful. The primary purpose of government was to ensure the protection, safety and welfare of it's residents. The lines were always the subject of debate but to most Skyans if the purpose of the organization was to make money - that's a company. If it was to keep you safe, healthy, and educated - that was the government.
(Pronounced Haven-Sky)

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 07, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

The Better Angels of our Nature

Postby Kylarnatia » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Citadel University, Library District
Citadel City, Havensky

[OOC: This post is linked to events transpiring in the following thread: Never the twain shall meet [Closed:Gholgoth].]

The sun had only just started to rise over Rico Bay, yet already Citadel University was abuzz with activity. Uncharacteristically, students had stirred themselves up in the very early hours of the morning in order to get a glimpse of the very important guest who was visiting the campus that morning. University security staff policed the swelling crowd of young adults as they set up cordons and kept the roads and footpaths clear, the students congregating on the university’s many green spaces under the green of the trees. All eyes were turned towards the main entrance, waiting in anticipation of the arrival of the Caesar.

The entire campus had been transformed with decoration to mark the occasion. Bunting in the colours of the university, red and blue, decorated all the buildings and lamp-posts along the footpaths, from which flew the purple and gold colours of the Vexillum, the bold image of the eagle and abbreviation “NOB. CAES.” (meaning Noblissima Caesar, “Most Noble Caesar”) clear even from a far distance. The groundskeepers had worked tirelessly to ensure that everything was spotless and in proper order, while one patch of green space which overlooked the campus had been left clear for the national and international press, who coordinated all their efforts from there as they had camera crews and reporters talking to students across campus, capturing the goings on and providing rolling updates to their studios. Photographers weaved in and out of the crowds, trying to find the best positions for the event that was about to transpire.

Eventually the University President, James Gatling, made his appearance - receiving cheers and playful jeers from the university’s many students - and stood patiently in front of the gates, prompting the crowds to hush a little as they realised something was happening. Accompanying him was the Student Body President, and both were dressed in their full university regalia, prompting the clicking of quite a few cameras. Clearly a lot of rehearsal had been put in for today’s event: months ago, an envoy from the Fangthane Palace had arrived to help plan and coordinate the day - giving regular repeat visits - and to give clear instruction on the expected protocol and etiquette. This was just an important an event for the Caesar as it was for the university, and so everything had been considered and prepared for, and no stone had been left unturned. All of this was to go off without a hitch; anything less would be unacceptable to her.

Sirens now became audible in the distance as all the cameras and eyes turned to the main entrance, and within a few moments the lights all became glaringly visible. A strong motorcade of Citadel Police streamed in through the gates in formation, protecting a small fleet of three vehicles that came in, one being a large beast of a car which had an angelic hood ornament: the Caesar’s State Car. The display was quite modest, considering that her standard motorcade could consist of at least forty vehicles, but due to reasons of practicality and wanting to demonstrate the trust they held in the Skyans, everything except the most essential were left behind. Cheers erupted from the students as their excitement and anticipation grew, and to pay respects to the Citadel Police officers who were held in ever increasing levels of regard in the aftermath of the attacks from the Scandinvan. As they dismounted from their bikes, the doors of the vehicle at the back of the motorcade swung open, and out stepped two members of the Caesar’s Guard, battle-hardened veterans who had proven themselves the most devoted to Caesar. Dressed in full black power armour, their helmets plumed and bodies decorated with the pelts of exotic animals from their homeland, one proceeded to make their way abruptly to the Caesar’s State Car while the other carried the Caesar’s Vexillum and proceeded much more slowly as they hoisted it high in the air, prompting a second wave of cheers, especially amongst the Kylarnatian students who attended the university.

Opening one door, out stepped the unmistakable figure of Lord Hyperion, who towered over everyone present and proceeded to observe the surroundings. The sound of cameras flashing intensified and the crowd gave a very audible reaction, some cheering while others were simply in awe that he was as large as had been said: seeing it in pictures was one thing, to see it in person was another. After a few moments of observing he gave a nod of approval to the Guardsman, who then proceeded to open the door that he had approached. Opening it fully before falling to one knee and bowing his head, out stepped Caesar, and for a moment all one could hear were screams of excitement and the flashing of cameras.

She smiled for a moment, waving to the crowds, before turning her attention firmly to President Gatling and the Student Body President and approaching them, Lord Hyperion and the Caesar’s Guard following close behind, as well as a small party of the Caesar’s Vestals who had emerged from the other vehicle. She was dressed in a blue business suit with black seams and a matching knee-length skirt, black stockings and heels, and also wore a small red scarf as a nod to the university’s colours, while on her lapel she had a diamond brooch styled in the shape of a lion’s head. Atop her head rested the Caesar’s Diadem, a golden band fashioned to look like angel wings, which complimented her locks of blonde hair which were fashioned in her signature ‘retro wave’ style. Her face bursting with colour, with a bright immaculate skintone to deep red lips and blue eyeshadow to compliment the suit, she was nothing short of breathtaking, and the photographers present went to every length they could to get the best photographs, while the cameras became fixed on her.

Arm outstretched, she first shook hands with the University President before then doing the same with the Student Body President, smiling warmly. The three exchanged a few unaudiable words before President Gatling gestured for her to follow, and so they began to make their way down a clearly defined route. As they walked through the campus and the Caesar was shown the highlights, the crowds eagerly followed, cheering and taking multiple pictures, the event very quickly trending all across social media. The Kylarnatian students - who at this point were swimming in a pure ecstasy of emotion - shouted cries of “Ave!” at the top of their lungs as they saw her, some going as far as to weep tears of pure joy. The press were captivated by this and were sure to capture as much of it as they could, and Caesar would occasionally turn to them and blow them a kiss as though to acknowledge them, sending them even more into a frenzy.

Eventually the trio had made it across to a large lake that sat on the far edge of the campus next to the impressive Rico Bay. Taking a moment to admire the beautiful scenery in front of her, they then made their way towards a rather new building which sat on the banks of the lake and was the first scheduled stop of the visit. This was the official opening ceremony of the brand new Institute of Seraphology.

Seraphology was the study of the language, history and culture of Kylarnatia. As such the new Institute would become the centre for all degree courses and classes dedicated to studying Kylarnatia and its people: from courses on Seraphic, to Kylarnatian history, theology, literature and many more, all that was on offer was designed to give Citadel University’s international corpus of students a greater understanding of the Kylarnatian way of life, one which was often seen as quite alien to the rest of Gholgoth let alone the world. Aside from just being a place of learning, the Institute would also be the focus of encouraging more cross-cultural exchange between the Skyan Republic and Imperium Antiquum, with scholarships and grants being made available for Citadel University’s students to do a year abroad in Kylarnatia, or even just to travel there for a time, and vice versa. There was even provision for the children of Kylarnatian parentage - either in part or fully - who emigrated to Citadel City or elsewhere in the world, to come to the Institute in order to reconnect with ones heritage, to allow them to reconnect themselves with their motherland, something that was seen as both socially and spiritually important for a Kylarnatian, as was evident by the behaviour of the Kylarnatian students present upon seeing Caesar. Fanaticism for her withstanding (though desirable), it was hoping that reaching out to generations of Kylarnatian descent would help create a sense of belonging and affinity in the long-run, even if they held a different citizenship entirely.

Caesar herself had privately funded the venture since the establishment of Citadel University, and years of planning had gone not only into the Institute’s programme but also it’s construction. A rather large complex of connected buildings, the Institute was a clear mix of both neo-imperial and contemporary design: the main building, known as the Kleio Building was designed to look like an imperial palace, with massive pillars and steps of marble. The front facade was decorated with a frieze of statues, all depicting the twelve Genetrix: twelve women whom the many noble families of Kylarnatia claimed descendance from, one of whom was Kleio, the building’s namesake. Known as “the Wise One”, she had according to Sacerdotium canon shared with humanity her knowledge of their history, nature and the importance of learning. All around the rest of the building the continuing frieze depicted angels known as Seraphim, and other scenes and images from Kylarnatian mythology, meanwhile the large front doors of the building were protected by two winged lions in the Seraphic style, though they were a clear nod to the Skyan lion, along the bases of which were etched the glyphic text of High Seraphic, a language spoken only by the priestesshood of the Sacerdotium and - so they claimed - the Seraphim themselves, giving an aura of magic and mysticism about them. On the top of the entrance building there was a golden rotunda, which once it was open to the public, one could step inside and look up and would see it was adorned with murals and paintings of Seraphim and Archseraphim in Avaris, the Sons and the Grand Mother firmly in the centre. Past this main entrance hall were the Institute’s lecture theatres, grand symposium’s for teaching and learning.

Further beyond that were two buildings, one slightly larger and another much smaller. The former was the Caesar Silvier Library, named after the principal donor, which was a contemporary glass building that went up several floors, which from the outside one could see the hundreds upon hundreds of bookshelves stacked high with books and tomes ready to be used for learning, as well as rows upon rows of desks for study fitted with modern appliances and large chairs for comfort. Each floor also had clusters of classrooms which could be used for seminars or by groups of students for group work and study, as well as all the amenities one would need for the long nights of studying and revision. At the ground entrance level there was a large café and social space open to all visitors during the day and for students during the evening, as well as a small public museum which displayed wonderous objects which had been granted on permanent loan from Kylarnatia’s many grand museums, including large illustrated copies of the Libro Divinatio and Libro Testamentum, the Sacerdotium’s holy texts. The final building was a rather modest in size but still lavishly decorated Templeum of the Sacerdotium: ministered by Citadel City’s own Fortum Basilica, the space was available for student’s religious needs, and it was agreed with the university that the space would be available for student’s of any faith who wished to have somewhere to practice and pray.

Once the Caesar, her hosts and her entourage had reached the winged lion’s guarding the Kleio Building, a ribbon had been tied across them to block the path. A waiting attendant stepped forward and presented Caesar with a pair of scissors: opening them, she then placed the ribbon through them before pausing for a moment to look back at the cameras and the crowd. She smiled and beckoned for the University and Student Body President’s to join her in cutting the ribbon, and as they did so the crowd cheered and the photographers took another long round of photographs as Caesar shook Gatling’s hand again in front of the building. The Caesar’s Vestals sang hymns in blessing, while a group of Kylarnatian students - dressed in ceremonial togas and dresses - clapped and cried in celebration as they began to dance and play a celebratory tune with drums, flutes and lyres.

With the opening now officially complete, the party moved towards the Windcharmer Auditorium, where the Caesar was to be made an honorary Dean of the University in recognition of her part in making the new Institute possible, and where she would give a speech to the five-hundred students who had been quick enough to secure a ticket, though the media had also been quick to secure space for their cameras to capture the speech and broadcast it live to the rest of Gholgoth and the world.

While the students were filing their way into the Auditorium, Caesar sat with President Gatling and the Student Body President on stage, while Lord Hyperion stood behind her and the Caesar’s Guardsman holding her Vexillum stood next to the lectern, unwavering in his duty, while the other Guardsman stood at the foot of the stairs leading up to the stage, watching everyone who passed her with eagle-eyed determination to pounce on anyone who caused her any suspicion. The Caesar’s Vestals had lined up in front of the stage and kneeled, their heads bowed and hands held together as they meditated. Silvier made small talk once again with both Gatling and the Student President, admiring the architecture and decoration of the Auditorium while observing the students as they came in.

Once everyone was settled, Gatling was the first to speak at the lectern, giving some brief introductory remarks explaining the honour of being a Dean of the University and why their guest was deserving of said honour. He then asked her forward, and under a shower of applause he awarded her with the Dean’s Chain, which he placed ever so carefully around her neck. Shaking hands once again, he then gave her the lectern and returned to his seat. Getting her notes ready and allowing the crowd to settle, Silvier took a sip of water from a glass that had been provided, while Lord Hyperion took his ever present position at her side. Once the Auditorium was silent, she began.

“It is impossible for me to express the joy and privilege I feel in being here with you all this morning, and you do me a great honour in making me an honorary Dean of this remarkable institution. The name of Citadel University, indeed Citadel City at large, rings with an air of fond familiarity to me. I feel as if I’ve known it for a long time, despite how short of a time it’s presence has been in the long and ancient history of the lands of Gholgoth.

Indeed, the word “citadel” invokes a feeling of safety and securedness that is often sort in these dark and mysterious waters. Yet here it has found an even grander meaning: not just one of safety and security, but of liberty and freedom. Of determination and progress. These are all the things that I have seen embodied in your most noble of statesmen and women, and in the men and women of the Skyan Legions who have already fought countless battles and bled plenty in the name of all these things, and of the Gothic Alliance which binds us together like strands of fabric in a grand tapestry, or the blood shared between siblings. Time and time again, the brave men and women of this most noble Skyan Republic have shown us the better angels of our nature, and within each and every one of you I witness and admire the same spark of life that I saw in both King and Queen Ironwing, who have been close to my heart since I first met them many moons ago.

My people are not so different from yours: We share the same strong commitment to safety and security, to the liberty and freedom of the human spirit, to progress in the name of humanity with a determination that shines as bright as an eternal flame in perpetual darkness. Of course, we have our differences in the nature of these things…” She paused for a moment to deliberately adjust her diadem, and to give Hyperion’s chest a few brief knock’s which echoed around the Auditorium, followed swiftly by some soft laughter amongst the audience, “...yet I do not think that has prevented us from uniting together for noble and just causes, nor ever should it. Our vibrant differences are what make our shared tapestry so grand and colourful, and we have much more to gain from sharing those ideas and learning from one another. This, I hope, is what the new Institute of Seraphology will achieve.

I shall give you an example: surrounding us is a depiction of the Greek titan Prometheus carrying fire from heaven to earth and giving it to humankind, an act deemed heinous and unforgivable by the vengeful and powerful deities of Mount Olympus, for it allowed humanity to progress without their divine intervention. In my culture, we share a similar theme in our own beliefs: it is said that when the angel Silvier, who had been raped and discarded by the power-hungry god Kronus, survived her fall to earth and resolved to bring justice against the gods, she taught humankind how to harness fire, and in so doing the first spark cleansed the corrupt and invisible link between humankind and the gods, allowing them from that point onwards to determine their own path and destiny. When the gods were finally overthrown and cast from Avaris and Silvier sacrificed herself to free the universe and its forces from the bonds the gods had created, becoming the Grand Mother in the process, the earth was cleansed with fire and began anew. The Eternal Flame still burns bright in the Magna Mater Basilica back in Krytopia to this day.

Whichever you believe, the same truth is evident: humanity was given the means to determine it’s own progress, to advance beyond what had originally been destined for them. It was a noble and just act, the consequences of which have echoed throughout time and space and even our very souls: we all feel that fire rage within us when we passionately believe in something, when we fight for greater causes. I truly believe we have just achieved a similar feat not too far from here, in the White Citadel where the Gothic Council is being reformed, and this was achieved in part due to the noble and just actions of our two peoples, and those of many others who followed.

It is impossible to overstate the significance of what has transpired over the past few hours: from this moment on, Gholgoth is being reborn anew. There is no going back to the old ways, for we have set in motion a chain of events which will forge a new path for our ancient and grand alliance. No longer will we be forced to succumb to our demons, to act with all the destructive and deadly nature of the plague of war and death that has ravaged the soils of this land, slaughtering hundreds of unknown generations in the process. From today we can carry forth the fire of progress and liberty, be a torch that shines upon high above the world, angels who are vengeful only to those who are deserving of our wroth. This change will take time, just as it did for humanity to progress, and with that comes plenty of challenges. But make no mistake: this is our destiny, and all it requires is for you to accept it in your hearts and believe it in your minds. You here now, and those watching all across Gholgoth, are our future: one day soon you will succeed us in carrying out this grand task, and will work within this new world order which many have died in order to give you, and will continue to die in order to protect for you.

The road ahead of us is an arduous journey, and will require even more sacrifice. In lands not too distant from here, the word “citadel” evokes a much more different feeling: of terror and decay, of eternal subservience and captivity. Of thoughtlessness and regression. Just like the gods of old, they do not approve of any progress that is not a part of their grand design, and will attempt to punish those who attempt it, just as the Olympians did Prometheus. I cannot predict what the punishment will be, but punish us they shall try and it will undoubtedly attempt to cause as much destruction and pain as possible, using fear in order to try and put us on a backwards step. I say let them try, for they are afraid; they may not know that word, or what it means, or even how it feels, but they know that the tide moves against them. That the fire is spreading, and that it cannot be stopped. Like divine beings who crave power above all else, they cannot envision a reality where it is not within their grasp. That, above all else, will be their undoing.

Let us then link our arms in camaraderie, our souls in eternal and undying love for one another and our creed, and let us carry forth the fire of human progress from our safe havens forward to face whatever challenges await us. Let us be those better angels of our nature, throw back the darkness that only seeks to envelop us, and cast back into the depths of the ocean the outdated and unflattering assumptions that have been made of us. We are not dead, for we never truly die: we are reborn. We are unwavering, unbroken and unyielding to any foe or false idea that seeks to see the sanctity of the human spirit undone. We are Gholgoth, Angels of Fire--Seraphim--and we are eternal. Our name shall henceforth inspire progress in the hearts of men, and fear in beings who attempt to play god.”

Her speech concluded, she stepped away from the lectern and acknowledged the crowd reaction, before departing from the stage and moving to the Speaker’s Lounge. At her request, the Student Body President joined her behind the bar, and in between any questions from the mighty crowd of students who gathered there, she spoke to them about them as an individual and their life at university, sharing private reflections on her own time as being both a student and once heir then co-regent with her father. It was a chance for her to be herself, appear human and form a genuine connection with someone, which she hoped would transmit further out into the young people who were the future of the region.

All she could hope for is that her words would resonate, and have their intended impact.
Last edited by Kylarnatia on Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

Havensky
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Press Conference

Postby Havensky » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:09 pm

It seemed like months before the Citadel University student press corps got their chance to have their press conference with the Caesar.

Most of the time, any audience member could ask questions of the speaker and there was a chance for back and forth. The Caesar’s role as the political leader of her nation, spiritual leader of a major religion, and a fashion icon meant that the demand would be too much for that sort of thing. Instead, it had been decided that this would be a great opportunity for the senior journalism students and would help mitigate some of the madness that would ensue when the Caesar made her appearance.

The speech, of course, was a smashing success met with great applause from the student body at large. Afterwards, there were a great many transfer students from Kylarnatia and beyond who wanted to get selfies with the Great Mother. The White Guard let it go on for a bit before gently pushing the crowds back to let the Gothic Lord pass through.

The Caesar was then escorted to a large conference room which was filled with soon to be journalists. There was a buzz in the room as she took the podium to ask questions and was met with a sea of raised hands. A placard had been placed on the podium to allow the Caesar to see the seating arrangement of each of the students so she could call on them by name.

“Oh my, this is quite a crowd! Hmm, let’s see…Quintus Gratian!” The young man, a transfer student from Kylarnatia, quickly rose to his feet. Before asking his question, he pounded his chest and uttered the phrase ‘Ave, Caesar!’, a slight audible shake in his voice. Clearing his throat with a sheepish smile, he then asked his question.

“My Caesar, the Sacerdotium has grown in popularity throughout the region. To what do you attribute these conversions to?”

“A very interesting question, young Quintus, thank you.” Caesar smiled, causing the young man to go bright red, visibly weakened as he sat back down. “I think it comes down to two things, really. First, in the past twenty years there has been a significant increase in the number of Kylarnatians going to work, study, serve abroad or even emigrate to fellow Gothic countries - a legacy of the policies of my father which I’ve continued - and as you well know, you may be able to take the Kylarnatian out of Kylarnatia…” She paused for a moment and whimsically flicked her wrist, the rest of that sentence clearly obvious to the press gaggle, who chuckled lightly.

“Indeed, Citadel City serves as a perfect example: a number of Skyans have converted, most due to marriage to Kylarnatian expats. Then you also have the re-emergence of our Telrosian brothers and sisters. Secondly, however, I think a number of conversions are also likely the result of groups of people questioning the nature of the divine: recent tragedies and hardships - both here in Gholgoth and abroad - have led people of faith to question what sort of God or even Gods would allow these sorts of things. The Sacerdotium provides a safe place for these people to explore that question, and find peace in their inner spirituality, even sometimes finding the truth underlined in their old faith. Thus, the Sacerdotium has a broad mix of different ethnic and cultural groups, for the Mother loves all humankind.” She smiled warmly again, the young Kylarnatian and others in the room bowing their heads deeply in reverence.

“Next question… Miles Perkerra!” A tall dark skinned man with a goatee and a letterman jacket stood up to ask the next question.

“Your Grace, what is your policy towards the Scandinvan Empire in Shen Almaru?”

“A good question, Miles. My - and thus, the Imperium’s - policy towards the recent actions of the Scandinvan Empire and the situation in Shen Almaru is that the Scandinvan’s have forsaken their sworn oath to the Gothic Council by not only supporting a rebellious entity against a fellow member-state, but also in threatening the stability and security of the region by attacking the Skyan Republic and provoking the wrath of the Golden Throne from Greater Dienstad. Therefore, I am committed to seeing these injustices corrected: I have already instructed my Supreme Command to begin enacting plans in coordination with the coalition forces committed to restoring Pudite control to Shen Almaru. The Scandinvan Empire shall be considered a rogue nation-state until such a time that it engages in peaceful dialogue and concedes it’s faults and takes active steps to right the wrongs and actively recommit to the Alliance.”

Then, the next question. “Ok, let’s try… Lizzie Usk!”

A tall student in a navy power suit and perfect hair stood up to ask the next question.

“Lord Caesar, how worried are you that the Kraven Reich will use the opportunity to strike again?”

Caesar’s composure and tone changed slightly, from one more relaxed and whimsical to more authoritative and assured, a spark in her eyes. “My father once said to me: ‘For so long as the Reich exists, conflict will be inevitable’. Do I believe the Reich are watching the situation and will, if the opportunity arises, exploit any weakness to further its own ends? Absolutely. Indeed, I require my Supreme Command to assess and account for the possibility with every operation. I am confident that in such an outcome, both my brave forces and those of our Gothic allies will be able to respond quickly and counter any such threat.”

“Alright, how about you… Edwin Nore?”

A brash copper toned young man in a suit and a high and tight haircut stood up and grinned. He adjusted his tie and began his question.

“Lord Caesar, what is your opinion on the Skyan elections? Are you rooting for Secretary Atticus?”

Caesar allowed a smile to develop on the edge of her lips as she took a sip from a glass of water from the podium while the young man asked his question. “Now, I don’t think it’s my place to comment on the internal politics of an allied nation, particularly when our systems are so distinct. That being said, I won’t deny that I am following them closely; I did, after all, choose to study your history and politics when I was your age. It’s a crowded field, and the Skyan people have a big decision to make. Though as long as I’ve known you, you’ve always risen to the challenge, and I’m sure this time will be no different.

Secretary Atticus is a man I respect very deeply and I’m sure would make a brilliant Prime Minister. I wish both him and all the other candidates all the very best of luck, and hope for a smooth and fair election campaign.”

Several of the professors in the back chuckled to themselves. Skyan reporters were always trying to get foreign leaders to comment on the election. They knew they’d all been told that the Skyan State Department discouraged it, but that never stopped anyone. It was a sure sign the students were learning. They had been very thankful that the Caesar had agreed to this. Not every country in the region appreciated free press and it was nice to give the students this experience.

The friendship between the two nations was strong.
(Pronounced Haven-Sky)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents