NATION

PASSWORD

The Shift: Ongoing Updates on the Grand Theocracy

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Olwe
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Olwe » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:51 am

Emperor Jason Frost decided to reread the report before giving voice to his initial reaction: What in the high holy fuck was that? It didn't get any better the second time around. He called his secretary in. "Do we have foreign relations with this Holy Marsh place?" he asked. He had heard of Lubyak before, and although he hadn't personally had any dealings with them the Olwean departments of Trade and Foreign Affairs had, and they seemed to get along well with Olwe. But Holy Marsh was a new one on him.

The secretary shook her head. "No, sir. I've never heard of them before. Apparently they're a theocracy, but not of a religion we've encountered before."

Jason made a disgusted face. "But still, a theocracy," he said, his words -- especially that last one -- dripping with disdain. "Should we even bother reacting to it? If a theocracy falls, that's good for us."

"Put that in your press conference and see how well it goes over with the international community," the secretary said.

"The international community can go fork a goat," Jason said. Although his thoughts weren't always Olwean-accented -- he was Welsh/Irish by birth -- he usually pronounced his F-bombs the Olwean way when he spoke out loud.

"Put that in your press conference, too," the secretary suggested.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The official reaction from the Olweans was as follows, culled from the press conference given by Emperor Jason Frost:

"There are reasons why magic and science must only be mixed very carefully, and under such desperately emergent circumstances that the situation actually calls for extreme measures. What happened in The Holy Marsh is a demonstration of why we separate magic from science in Olwe. Dick around with things you don't understand, and eventually you'll wind up splattered all over the place.

The Holy Marsh is a theocracy. I understand that that doesn't sit well with many of you, and I also understand why. I'm not a big fan myself. But the time may come when they ask for our help, and if they do then I plan to do everything within my power to provide that help. Any interference with the Olwean government providing said help will be viewed as an act of treason, and punished as such.

However, we aren't going to interfere in internal matters in another country when nobody's being actively oppressed as far as we can tell. Research into what, exactly, the state religion in The Holy Marsh is might later give us cause to go to war with them, but for now they're a neutral party in a state of emergency. Since they aren't allies we won't rush to their aid out of the goodness of our hearts, but as I said before... if they ask for help, they'll get it."
Founded: 2480
Current year: 5001
Magic: Non-negotiable
Ponies: Yes, occasionally
Tech levels incompatible? Then kick me out of the thread, because if you RP with me you accept my tech.
Note: Before 2480, Olwe was called Athan. If you see this word in a thread, it's because you mentioned a year incompatible with Olwe in that thread but still made it open to all techs and therefore are allowing Athan's magic.
RP population: 21 billion
Embassy program: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=203258

Holy Marsh
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 09, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Holy Marsh » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:18 pm

The Grand Theocracy watched as the responses rolled in from the international community over the following weeks. Naturally it didn't feel the need to respond to most of them. The Theocracy saw little cause to respond to most things directed at it internationally that it saw little benefit in. But as more responses came in, it decided responding was in the best interests of the state.

From the Desk of the Arch Bishop
To: The International Community

To answer the few questions that are commonly asked or implied in the many varied responses:
It is not currently believed that a way to reverse the process exists. Our contact with the alien race who created this technology, combined with our talks with Lubyak, lead us to believe it cannot be reversed. Therefore, coupled with two outright failures through our own experiments that resulted in full gender re-assignment for those who volunteered for the experiments, I have ordered that we cease further attempts at trying to reverse this. While we may look into new and different ideas, it is not considered a primary task. While society was understandably nebulous for a few days after The Shift it has since remained rigid in its formation and styling in supplication to the Church.

Secondly, those impacted are still technically male with working male genitalia. While in general they have undergone changes, we have not had many cases reported of someone undergoing either a full sex change or being rendered sterile. We see no large change in our population advancement in the next few decades.

NovayaEquestria
The mass confusion and at times indignation present in your responses brings equal measure of confusion to us. Why does it confuse and upset you so? It is nothing but flesh. To answer your confusion- advanced medical technology and magic were mixed via an accident and hit all those who used the Church's medical system. What exactly happened we do not know as all ground zero evidence has been lost and the memories of those there impacted most heavily. In the end, while this is a massive change in our physical nature, it changes nothing. We are still Marshite and we are still the Faith and the Fire. Little else matters.

Alexiandria
We thank you for your kind words directed at the Faithful. While society has truly been little impacted by this event beyond mere physical changes, kindness is appreciated. At this time we will not take your great nation up on its offer on scientific aid, pending the discovery of a method through discussions with Lubyak and the Alien.

Sardian Republic
We regret that your Minister has had issues relating to The Shift in your nation. Your team is always welcome to investigate the cause of the event as well as means of reversing it at the Minister's behalf, though we do regret to inform you that we see little for success there.

Ganos Lao
Cheeky and entertaining as ever, we appreciate the frivolity and light-heartedness that your nation always brings to the table.

Allanea
We appreciate the calm comments from the Slaver-Killer. Always forward!

Etoile Arcture
Eternal calm is what we've come to appreciate about the Technocracy.

Myric Empire
While we believe this response was in a joking manner, let us make clear that we do not need any aid in rebuilding. We appreciate the 'thought', though.

Auroya
At this time, we understand very little about the specifics of the magic involved. The technology involved is much simpler to understand and while it is far beyond any earth-based nation to replicate, it is something that can be attained through dealings with beings from beyond. We do not at this time feel it necessary to give you specifics, as we do not see any need for your nation to undergo the same.

Bemberna
To some extent, the Theocracy applauds your kindness and care directed at the Faithless. But that is where we consider the competence of your response to end. The Arch-Bishop has always been a woman, not a man, and would appreciate accuracy in reporting to maintain the use of proper pronouns. The theocracy was not experimenting. The Consortium was invited to better understand the Marshite Medical System and from what we can tell one or more of them tried to do something that caused all this. The Arch-Bishop sees no reason to resign as the Faithless have not been effected beyond the mere physical. Perhaps one day your society will be able to endure shocks to it and then you will understand.

Dark Waters Incorporated
We can, and always will, hunt you down where possible.

Akila
We are pleased to hear from you and to know that even in independence your Faith is strong.

AHSCA
We are interested in hearing that Marshites in your nation are undergoing further transformation. May we dispatch a team to investigate further? Many Faithless will be somewhat vexed by the monogender classification but the Church does not have a comment on the classification by others. Therefore, we recognize your decision.

Schantrac
Banning the religion is an act of war. You will hear from us soon.

Natrona County
While there is nothing to fear, there is also nothing to love out of this event. We are wary of such responses.

Romandeos
Sister-Empress, do not fear the Light that comes for us all in the near future to bring us to the new world. We have many things to discuss- more important than mere flesh. We will talk soon.

Olwe
We are very pleased to hear that despite your reservations regarding religion and theocracies that you would not silence yourself to our pleas for aid should you ever receive them. That is the surest sign of a morally strong nation. That having been said, there is currently no need for us to make such pleas. Society is largely unaffected. School was affected on day one as the younger ones had difficulty understanding what had happened. However, school did not shut down and while that day was considered a wash, the day after went by largely without issue. A few small car accidents were reported and as you can expect the initial rush of confusion was massive. But pass that initial rush, there has not been any major disruptions to report. While a great deal are unhappy with this change, very few seem to have been seriously harmed. In time, and not a long time at that, we see this fading in importance to the level of getting your oil changed.

Romandeos
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 13, 2005

Postby Romandeos » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:46 pm

Official Message from the Imperial Federated States
For:
Her Grace the Arch-Bishop Lainika

It is not fear, but uncertainty which plagues us in the moment. With eighty-five percent of my people being practicing Marshites, and a further thirteen percent having had access to the Lubyakan imported medical technology despite not being of the Faith themselves, this...Shift is almost universal. Ninety-eight percent of the people have been in contact, which means nearly every male is indistinguishable from a female at first glance.

In the moment the situation is largely controlled. I have reports from Tarasport, Leiston, and elsewhere of limited rioting, but the local garrisons remain in control, and much of the rest of the land remains calm and quiet, apart from the odd murmurings of distress. People are going to work and school, and even sending their children out to play once in a while.

I only hope this strained calm does not come apart. That would be the worst possible outcome at the present time.

Warmest Regards for My Sister,
HIM Empress Taunja I Lockeheart
If you RP with me, you are choosing to acknowledge The Shift by default. No negotiations.

Southeastasia wrote:Romandeos is like an enormous dog: happy and friendly, but when angered, ruthlessly sadistic.

Yo’ur spalling ability and use of gamrmer is artcioous.

Facts and Figures of Life

The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant.

The careful application of terror is also a form of communication.

Someone who thinks logically is a nice contrast to the world.

Things are more like they are today than they ever were before.

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

Friends may come and go but enemies accumulate.

I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

If you think there is good in everybody, you haven’t met everybody.

RIP Tanaara: 1/17/10.

Olwe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Olwe » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:23 am

Holy Marsh wrote:We are very pleased to hear that despite your reservations regarding religion and theocracies that you would not silence yourself to our pleas for aid should you ever receive them. That is the surest sign of a morally strong nation. That having been said, there is currently no need for us to make such pleas. Society is largely unaffected. School was affected on day one as the younger ones had difficulty understanding what had happened. However, school did not shut down and while that day was considered a wash, the day after went by largely without issue. A few small car accidents were reported and as you can expect the initial rush of confusion was massive. But pass that initial rush, there has not been any major disruptions to report. While a great deal are unhappy with this change, very few seem to have been seriously harmed. In time, and not a long time at that, we see this fading in importance to the level of getting your oil changed.

Though we would still be willing to offer it should the need arise at a later time, we are pleased to hear that you don't need help. One of the ways it occurs to me that we could help is that if some of the people who were changed are still having trouble adjusting, our own hermaphrodites could come and talk to them... Olwean space is home to a fully hermaphroditic humanoid species called the Futanari who bear a great physical resemblance to your description of the people who were changed by The Shift (except the Futanari have both male and female genitalia).
Tech levels incompatible? Then kick me out of the thread, because if you RP with me you accept my tech.
Note: Before 2480, Olwe was called Athan. If you see this word in a thread, it's because you mentioned a year incompatible with Olwe in that thread but still made it open to all techs and therefore are allowing Athan's magic.

Independent State AF
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Independent State AF » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:29 am

President Eden sat at his desk looking over the report. "...What...? I dont....I cant...."
After several minutes of silence, a cheer erupted from him. "This is wonderous, imagine the medical possibilities! Not to mention many more candidates for the position of First Lady of ISAF!"

Eden then had flyers of applications for those who wanted to become his First Lady to turn in their application at the nearest ISAF embassy
When IC please refer to my nation as The ISAF
Official Member of the Universal Technology Alliance!
HUMAN AND A MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!
Proud member of The Anti Democracy League
ISFJ (The Nurturer) Personality type
Pro: LGBT Rights,UK/US, Big Defense Spending, Authoritarian/Totalitarian/Fascist Government, Pro-Choice, Nationalism, Robotics, Imperial US, VOCALOID (Google it).
Anti: Religion, Homophobia/Transphobia
Want my IC Stats? Look here! We grow ever stronger! http://www.broomdces.com/nseconomy/nations.php?nation=Independent+State+AF

Bemberna
Attaché

Founded: Jun 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bemberna » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:04 am

BEMBERNA STANDARD
HOLY MARSH LEADERS WILL NOT SOLVE CHROMOSOME CRISIS

Theocratic leader absolves himself of responsibility; condemns population to an unwanted fate!

PROVING ONCE and for all that we, the People of Bemberna, are truly fortunate to have the Central Executive Committee watching over us, the dictatorial Arch Bishop of the Grand Theocracy has washed his hands of the unusual situation currently affecting Holy Marsh, claiming that it was an accident, and that he "sees no reason to resign as the Faithless have not been effected beyond the mere physical."

Reported on last month, the male citizens have been inexplicably converted into women in an event known dispassionately as "The Shift", after their leaders indulged in experiments with technology beyond their comprehension.

But while the citizens of Holy Marsh are left picking up the pieces, their government has banned any research into a way to reverse this. No outside help is being accepted, and it is unknown if the callous government is offering any psychological aid to its distraught citizens.

"While this religious leader of theirs may think that no damage has been done, the psychological effects of this monumental change could easily be catastrophic for those affected," Dr. Aynne Lawsone, a leading psychiatrist in the People's Welfare Service, told the Standard. "Imagine if you had been attacked in the street and disfigured - this is far worse, from a mental health perspective. If no way to reverse it is forthcoming, psychological aid should at the very least be made available. To withhold it, as they have done, is morally reprehensible.

"For their leader to dismiss [The Shift] so casually reinforces my view that the Central Executive Committee is the wisest, and most compassionate, government we could have wished for after the civil war," she added.

No apologies have been offered by the Marshite government either for their involvement in this incident, nor their casual disregard for the welfare of their People in their dismissive statement afterwards. It is truly telling that the response of the Central Executive Committee was more passionate, more reasoned, and more concerned for the People of Holy Marsh, than that of their own government.

In their statement, as you may have also heard from some unauthorised sources, the Marshite government also called into question the reliability of this paper, accusing us of "making up facts". We would like to take this opportunity to remind all readers that this newspaper is rigorously fact-checked and 100% accurate. We're also completely independent and free from government interference. That's why we're your most trusted newspaper, bringing you all of the truth, all of the time - unbiased, and honest.
Last edited by Bemberna on Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Romandeos
Chargé d'Affaires

A Letter to the Bemberna Standard

Postby Romandeos » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:40 pm

"Gentlemen,"

I am writing to you today to correct a series of errors in one of your most recent publications. For the sake of propriety, I shall do you the courtesy of assuming these were legitimate errors.

Firstly, the insistence on referring to Her Grace the Arch-Bishop with male pronouns. Lainika is, always has been, and likely always will be, a woman. Unlike men affected by the Shift, she is legitimately 100% female.

Next of course we have your statement that all men in the afflicted countries have been "converted into women," which is only partially true. Those afflicted still have functioning male genitalia, having otherwise taken on the appearance of the fairer sex. They still regard themselves as men, and can still take part in reproduction as before. The statement that research into a possible cure has been banned is also only partially true, as the Arch-Bishop has halted all state-sponsored research following a number of incidents.

That no apologies have been offered by those who have done no wrong should not shock anybody.

I would finally like to note the repeated efforts by your publication to congratulate and aggrandize its masters while lambasting the Marshite people. Far be it from me to accuse you of shameless, inept, self-congratulatory literary masturbation, but you may wish to be more discreet about it in future.

Sincerely,
Nelson "Nelly" Fowler, Esq.

P.S. Having been a victim of the Shift myself, I count myself a credible source of information as to the impacts it has had on my society, if not that of the Marshites, and would like to offer my intellectual services to assure the accuracy of any future publications you may wish to print. I won't even charge a fee.
If you RP with me, you are choosing to acknowledge The Shift by default. No negotiations.

Southeastasia wrote:Romandeos is like an enormous dog: happy and friendly, but when angered, ruthlessly sadistic.

Energia
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Energia » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:56 pm

Spiera, Energia

SInce about 0.2 percent of the population is Marshite, the government has decided to flush them out.

Many men in Energia have fortunately not turned into women, but those that have had will be deported. All males will submit to compulsory tests if they are turning feminine.
Superial Republic of Energia

Capital: Lunedun (formerly Spirea)
Biggest City: Spirea
Seat of Legislature: Lunedun
Races:
31% Earth Pony, 49% Pegasi, 20% Unicorn
Allegiances: None.
Rivals: Novaya Equestria, Greater Pony Herd, The Lubyak.
National Languages: Energian: 95% Rheinian: 3% Equestrian: 1%
RP Popoulation: 950 million
Ethnicity:
Energian: 89% Rheinian: 8.4% Equestrian: 2.1%
Flag Carrier: Skyloft
Rivals: (As in cities) Flankfurt am Mane, Canterlot, Nueva Puerlla City, Manehatten.
Exchange rate: (All Currency) = 0.25 Kyraein
List of Cities: Lunedun, Kyrskia, Pierra, Spirea, Batalla Mareangeles.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:18 pm

Energia wrote:Spiera, Energia

SInce about 0.2 percent of the population is Marshite, the government has decided to flush them out.

Many men in Energia have fortunately not turned into women, but those that have had will be deported. All males will submit to compulsory tests if they are turning feminine.

We'll take any Marshites (and other undesirables) that you wish to deport.

This nation is controlled by the player who was once Neo-Ixania on the Jolt Forums! It is also undergoing reconstruction.

Romandeos
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Romandeos » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:31 pm

Official Message from the Imperial Federated States
For:
The Superial Republic

I have been informed that you have announced plans to "flush out" your Marshite minority due to recent events. I feel compelled to tell you this would be decidedly unwise. The leaders in the Marshite Church today are notoriously unforgiving of those who assault the Faith and its adherents. If the Arch-Bishop calls a Crusade, many will answer, and many Romani will march beside those brethren recruited from the Theocracy and elsewhere.

Friends, take heed. You are a small country, and while your people are no doubt as strong as any and your soldiers brave, what hope can you have against such an onslaught?

None.

Be wise about this. Cancel the deportation orders and seek to aid your Marshite citizens in dealing with this troublesome change. Do not condemn yourselves.

Signed,
Imperial Diplomatic Representative Tiziano De Santis

Holy Marsh
Negotiator

Postby Holy Marsh » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:19 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:

We'll take any Marshites (and other undesirables) that you wish to deport.

OOC- You do realize that since he is a 100% sapient pony nation that these Marshites would be sapient ponies, whom you do not recognize?:P

From the Desk of the Arch-Bishop:

Energia, let me be frank: If I willed it, your nation would be dust. I do not will this just yet, but I must seek to have this simple query answered. "Flushing Out"- deportation? Forcibly for no reason other than your own uncomfortableness? Citizens who previously were loyal to you whom you now betray for the changes that they had no control over?

If this is true, then that can only mean you are a treasonous government betraying the loyalty of those below you. Such unbridled hatred of your own citizens violates Marshite beliefs at a fundamental level- especially when those being expelled are of the Faith. Betrayal is a sign of Cultism, a sign of the illness that plagues a soul. We cannot allow such illness to plague your national character and would be forced to intervene en masse, slicing out the cancerous growth killing your nation for however long it takes and no matter how deep it is found.

The other possibility is that they are leaving of their own accord or that no such deportations are actually occurring. If this is the case, apologies.

What is the correct interpretation?

With Wonder,
Arch-Bishop Lainika
The Hand That Holds the Sword
Thought for the Day: Ignorance is no Excuse for Heresy

Shalotte
Envoy

Founded: Oct 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Shalotte » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:29 am

The Community of Shalotte
Office of the Gaeltyn

We bid you greetings and good tidings.

I do not claim to understand the nature of this 'shift' that has taken place in Holy Marsh. News trickles into Shalotte slowly at the best of times, let alone news of this flavour. All of your men look like women now? It happened because some kind of infernal contraption was broken? And there is nothing to be done about it?

It's not really my place to understand it. Nor do I think I'm qualified to try. I haven't heard of any of our menfolk turning into women, so I can't say that it's been a problem here, really.

Shalotte has little, but what we have is available to those who need it, if you think it will help. If there are affected people in need of a getaway, to think about things or just have a moment of pause, they are welcome to visit our small islands. The weather isn't always nice, and they'll have to work for what they need, but there's no better place to get away from the hustle and bustle and clear your head. Our people are warmer than our climate, and always welcome those in need.

Thankfully,

Riagán of Damnoni
Mon'gaeltyn of Shalotte

Last edited by Shalotte on Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Holy Marsh
Negotiator

Postby Holy Marsh » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:43 pm

An Update on The Shift and it's effects on the Holy Marsh, nearly a year later:

It has been almost eleven months since the arcanotech accident known as The Shift hit all Marshites the world over. The initial slap of panic and confusion that struck local as well as international concerns ceded quickly to normal Marshite characteristics of grittiness and an ability to adapt quickly. Functions of the nation returned to normal within days, with Church approved clothing establishments working overtime to accommodate the new forms of the populace. Education and physical standards did not change as the nation had never had separate requirements for the genders. Tourism took a dip at first due to the fears of it being transferable, but afterwards experienced an unusually high uptick.

Religiously, The Shift's largest impact was on Shrines. The Female Shrine, which believes that the Holy Marsh is female and that females are the chosen people, experienced an enormous growth and became the largest non-numerical based Shrine in the nation. Semi-Radical Cleric Cerisa Alahana became Cardinal of the Shrine and is currently by right of Shrine population the most powerful Cardinal in the nation. The Male Shrine suffered a catastrophic blow and became one of the many Minor Shrines, a position which means it lost the right to place a Cardinal on the Council. Following three internal votes, Bishop Superior Markias El'Sara is attempting to reorganize the Shrine in accordance with recent events.

Politically, the fallout was tremendously beneficial, something the Church had not expected. Most allies stood by without fail and, most important, the impacted nation of Romandeos decided to go through with a political union with Holy Marsh. The Romani-Mars'i Union was formed, creating the largest superstate in the world. The revelation of this technology and the existence of magic internationally caused consternation, but the Marshite ability to aid friends and new-found contacts alike helped bring the nation into closer contact with the international community.

Militarily, the change in form of the Marshite soldier necessitated a change in equipment. Previously stalled projects were given the funding and focus and several new weapon systems and pieces of equipment were deployed, many of which were considered ahead of even the equipment offered by Lyran Arms. Several Crusades were launched due to the Shift, including the annexations of Natrona County and Schantrac. These wars provided ample testing ground for the new weapons and Marshite soldier.

Meanwhile...

OOC- If you have ideas on how The Shift has effected your nation a year later, relations between our nations, or ideas for what you want me to write about, post here (ICly) or TG (OOCly).
Last edited by Holy Marsh on Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:59 am

OOC: I lol'd at the pictures used to illustrate the "effects", so here, have an IC post.

The inside of Doctor Antar Kaensa's office was comfortable despite the undefinable smell, its air conditioning a welcome respite from the oppressive heat that blasted the Federation of Czardas throughout the wet season. It was therefore difficult for Léo Asturia to understand his own anxiety, or the sweat gradually pooling around the sides of his neck.

The Doctor was smiling kindly. He must have been about sixty and, to Léo's secret gratification, stood two or three inches shorter than Léo's own post-Shift height. Everything about his features stamped him as a Czard, from the mahogany-brown skin to the close-cropped mat of dense curly hair. Léo had been hoping for a Marshite—they seemed to be everywhere in the city of Lamia (largest in Czardas's interior), settling it as missionaries and reformers—but he could not help be reminded that they made up only one percent of the nation's people.

"This is only a routine psychological examination, Mr Asturia," said Doctor Kaensa, still smiling. "All your blood work is in order, but we're required to do these examinations by federal law. However, unless there are any glaring issues, I think you should be good to go."

"Thank you," said Léo. He tried to relax into the chair, but it was almost too soft and comfortable, and did nothing to keep him on balance.

"This first question is just curiosity on my part," said Doctor Kaensa, "and—as with any of these questions—you are free to decline to answer. As I know quite well—" he half-smiled; the Maweke Heights Endocrinology & Reproductive Health Clinic was the largest of its kind in western Czardas— "this so-called Shift occurred over a year ago. Yet you are only coming to us now—why is that?"

Léo let out his breath in a long exhale. "I thought I could just deal, you know? Everyone was, all my neighbours and friends. We all got messages direct from the home country, and the Archbishop told everyone not to panic and basically implied it was divine will." He ran a hand through his hair. "I tried for a while. I bought skirts and... that kind of thing... and let my hair grow and just tried to, you know, fit in."

"You did not notice any other attitudes among your neighbours and friends, apart from acceptance?"

"No. Well..." Léo shrugged. "There were people who weren't happy and wanted to change back. But they kind of dropped off the radar for me and we lost track of them. I also saw the notice from the Theocracy that they had stopped trying to fix things because of the risk of turning everyone into genetic females, or something." He stared into space for a moment before asking the Doctor, "You ever come across anyone like that?"

"Oh yes." Doctor Kaensa smiled. "There are about two million Marshites living in Czardas, mostly in the Lamia-Junction corridor and a smaller number in Czarna. The Ministry of Health has estimated that close to a hundred thousand of them have sought hormone replacement therapy and other such procedures, either in this country or abroad. Obviously we don't have accurate numbers, but it's certainly quite a few. I personally have seen many Marshites, mostly within the first few months afterwards, and I believe my clinic has provided a few thousand testosterone implants."

Léo's mouth opened and shut several times before he was able to say, "You have? Really?"

"Yes. If you're interested afterwards, I can give you information about a support group, which attends mass at the Male Shrine on the Sanevias Road." Doctor Kaensa scribbled a few notes on a pad of writing paper and then looked up expectantly. "Anyway, continue. You tried to adjust and fit in with your... coreligionists, but that didn't work out, I take it?"

"No," said Léo, his mind still full of questions about the other Marshites who... his brain couldn't find a word to describe it. The ones who were male again, he thought. "I couldn't do it, it was too difficult. Maybe it would have been easier if—"

He stopped abruptly, and there was a long silence while Doctor Kaensa waited for a continuation, but none came. Eventually the Doctor took up the thread. "Too difficult because of a lack of social acceptance, or for some other reason?"

"That was partly it," Léo agreed. "Not from Marshites, from Czards, who thought I was a transsexual and made... unpleasant remarks. But also just..." He spread his hands. "I was a meter eighty-five before the shift, but I've dropped down to a meter and... sixty-... nineish? Maybe even a bit less. It's shot my spatial senses to rubbish, honestly. I've grown D cups but they just feel like dead weight sitting on my chest; I hate how they feel, I hate how they look in the mirror. I don't see any positives. My voice feels like an alien's, like it belongs to someone else. I've never gotten used to it. Even my skin feels strange."

The Doctor nodded in understanding. "And what would have made it easier? Being surrounded by Marshites, all going through the same transformation?"

"Ha! Definitely not." Léo almost smiled. "My family moved to Czardas right at the end of the 'eighties, during the start of liberalisation and the Kastizan Administration. I was a child, but I remember the Theocracy well enough. People just sort of... accept these things. I went back home for a few weeks last year but it honestly felt so alienating. Everyone was just... dealing, and I couldn't, I felt like I'd been thrown away, like... my thread had been torn from the Wheel... you know?" He looked appealingly at Doctor Kaensa, whose face was grave. "Would have been easier if I'd been, well, attractive, if I hadn't become this fat, stocky, square-jawed—" he gestured at himself— "in-between thing."

Doctor Kaensa blinked slowly and owlishly. "I am sorry to disillusion you, Mr Asturia, but your weight is perfectly healthy and within average range. As well, in my experience men considered conventionally attractive by, well, feminine standards were no less likely to pursue masculinisation procedures. Possibly even more likely, despite the low chance of successfully passing as male afterwards."

Léo wasn't sure whether that revelation gave him hope or merely schadenfreude. He pressed on anyway. "I tried to just live my life as I had before—wearing men's clothes, keeping my hair short, wearing tight sports bras or binding my chest. Maybe that should have been enough, I don't know. But I still got called ma'am or miss half the time, probably because of my voice or general shape." Here he was treading on shaky ground—he knew Czards were still, by and large, a socially conservative people despite the great reforms that had been accomplished by the Kastizan government—but he continued, stumbling over his words. "And there's also the problem of my boyfriend."

Doctor Kaensa displayed no signs of surprise or disapproval, only nodded. It occurred to Léo that he had dealt with lots of Marshites—not only living in Lamia, reportedly almost one-sixth Marshite, but with the recent events of the Shift—and probably viewed same-sex relationships as just another idiosyncrasy of their faith. "He has not been supportive of your changes, then?"

"At first..." Léo hesitated for a long moment. "When it happened I was on my way home from work. I called him in a panic, and he reassured me that no matter what, I was still the same person, he still loved me and he would support me. And we did try to make it work. He tried more than anyone else, I think." His voice was starting to catch. "We thought there'd be a cure sooner. But over time, and as it's become clear that there's no easy fix, well... not only is all the oestrogen or whatever in my system affecting, er, bedroom activities but also, I mean... part of the physical attraction, when we started dating, was the presence of male secondary sex characteristics—I think that's true for both of us—and, like, that's what he expected when we started the relationship."

Doctor Kaensa smiled sadly and said nothing, and Léo continued to fill the encroaching silence. "And I've seen him sometimes, looking at photographs... of me from a few years back, but also of other men, not erotic ones just photographs of... men with their shirts off, with facial hair, with broad shoulders, with... strong muscular arms." For a moment his voice threatened to betray him, but he held it steady somehow. "With all the things I used to have."

"Have you noticed him becoming more distant, perhaps?" The Doctor's voice was very gentle.

"Yes, that's exactly it." Léo attempted to steer himself towards more emotionally secure ground. He'd never been good at expressing emotions productively. "The other thing, I guess, is the government classification. That really bothers me. I mean, apart from the fact that I'm a man, I'm not a Czard. I know I've lived here most of my life, but I've met more than a few daisa; they're pretty clear you can't be one unless you're born on the soil."

"Ah. Yes, a few others have had similar issues, I hear," said Doctor Kaensa. In the days following the Shift the Kastizan Administration had legally reclassified Marshite men as Czardas's cultural third gender, daisa, which lay somewhere between the categories other countries would consider "effeminate gay men" and "male-to-female transsexuals". This did accurately reflect their physical appearance and make things easier on a number of government agencies, but was quite far from the self-identification of the affected, almost all of whom still regarded themselves as men (and several of whom had requested legal changes in status). "That can be changed, with a certain amount of persistence. The Ministry of Health should have guidelines on their website, if they haven't been taken down yet."

"Thank you," said Léo, noting that down mentally. He had no problems with persistence (he'd gotten a few conversions that way, even). "So... I mean... are we done?"

"I should think so, yes," said Doctor Kaensa. "Although the reaction of your partner is important to you, I'm convinced that you are not doing this solely to please him. I am somewhat concerned with your negative comments about your weight and body—you need to be aware that, although your body fat distribution will return to a male pattern, the overall shape of your body is not going to change very significantly. You will not grow taller, your hip-to-shoulder ratio will remain characteristically female and if you choose to undergo mastectomy the results are... variable. Incidentally—" he paused momentarily, as Léo had opened his mouth, but then shut it again— "you are probably well aware that gender reassignment procedures are much more advanced in the Holy Marsh than here and can yield more satisfactory results?"

"Yes, I suppose so," said Léo, "but I don't think I could go back there, anymore. Anyway, they all use genetic manipulation for their procedures, and the impression I got was that... well... that doesn't work anymore, I guess? Like it'll either change me irreversibly into a woman, or it'll not do anything since the Marshite Y chromosome itself has been altered, or something."

"Very well," said Doctor Kaensa. "If you are interested in mastectomy I'm afraid Lamia General does not provide it. You will have to travel to Junction, which is two hours by train. The waiting list should be much shorter these days, probably down to two or three months—information is on this sheet here." He passed it across to Léo. "I'm afraid the Government only partially funds these surgeries, and there will be a charge. This sheet—" he indicated another one— "contains information about the implant you will be receiving."

Doctor Kaensa rose and crossed to a cabinet, from which he retrieved a small box. Warming to his subject, he continued, "The National Health Service recently adopted implants for hormone treatment in preference to injections, pills or patches, all of which had many more health risks or added expenses. You're probably aware already of the potential complications of testosterone."

Léo shrugged. "Acne and male pattern baldness, apparently."

"Among others," said Doctor Kaensa. "The positive changes will start immediately—you should notice significant deepening of your voice and the return of some facial and body hair within about three months, and changes to your body fat distribution within six. This early period is most critical for measuring potential health effects, so I will ask you to make an appointment to come back in three months. Within twelve months, the changes will be much more dramatic and noticeable—"

Léo Asturia emerged from the clinic into the sweltering January humidity, the air pregnant with monsoon rains, feeling more at peace with himself and resigned to seek out the Sanevias Road Male Shrine. He didn't imagine it would be hard to find. There couldn't be more than one in the city, these days.
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

The United Confederacy of Texas
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 06, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The United Confederacy of Texas » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:43 pm

OOC: Okay, I'll admit that I enjoyed writing this. Expect Captain Dornan to also be Red Forman.

Federal District of Arlington
Executive Residence, Arlington, Texas
10:00 PM, January 28, 2216
POV of Secretary Robert Lungsten, 3rd person

Secretary Lungsten's day was almost finished at the Residence. The past several weeks were more hectic given the Republic's recent military involvement, and the change of mood reflected in everyone, both physically and emotionally. Lungsten often felt tired, while President Roark had begun to develop wrinkles and even a larger beard than normal, despite only being 27. Lungsten had even noted that President Roark would barely be able to suppress his anger, as opposed to being able to remain level-headed. His thoughts were suddenly interrupted as he heard the President talking on his phone.

"Yes? Oh? How come I am only now receiving the news now, as opposed to when it would've been more of a major concern when it first appeared?" Lungsten swallowed hard; he could hear Roark's tone become dangerously low and silky, something Lungsten had only heard once during his 10 years in service to the President. "Well, it looks like I'll have to address this with the intelligence committees tomorrow morning. Good night." The phone was placed back in its cradle, the chair scraping as President Roark got up. He stepped out of his office, then faced Lungsten.

"Robert?"

"What do you need, Adam?" Lungsten, despite his rank, addressed President Roark by his first name, knowing that Roark favored a more familiar address rather than the usual formalities.

"If you can stay a little bit longer, I want you to send some e-mail messages."

"To whom should I send it to, Sir?"

"The first one I want you to have all the leaders and top employees in the intelligence agencies to arrive here, tomorrow morning at 9:00 AM. If they do not arrive, tell them that I will personally arrive to take them here."

"What about the second message?" Lungsten felt further unnerved as he listened to Roark. His anger was obvious, with his eyes twitching.

"Send it to Sergeant Arch Dornan from Camp Navarro. Tell him that his famous skills at addressing large crowds are needed. I'm afraid that if I were to lose my nerve, I will devolve into threats of homicide." By then, Roark had stepped outside onto the backyard patio overlooking Senreich Bay, the daily storm causing his coat to flap behind him. By then, Lungsten could barely hear him as he set out to write the messages.

Federal District of Arlington
Central Forum, Executive Residence, Arlington, Texas
9:05 AM, January 29, 2216

The large crowd of employees sat inside the Forum, barely any of them willing to make a sound. The message they received from Secretary Lungsten seemed urgent, so most arrived several minutes earlier. Only a few did not arrive, yet the President was nowhere to be seen. Suddenly, the side door of the Forum opened, the remaining employees rushing in, a look of fear reflected on their faces. President Roark soon entered; behind him, a man decked in armor followed. The air suddenly felt thick, everyone staying as quietly as possible. President Roark coughed once, before stepping up to the center of the room. As the remaining employees sat in whatever space remained, Roark began to speak.

"Well, ladies and gentlemen, I have called you all here today to address an issue involving the Holy Marsh and the incident known as 'The Shift.' I apologize for arriving late, but as I had Lungsten write, you were to arrive here, at 9:00 AM or I would personally hunt you down and drag you here. That was a promise I intended to follow through. On July 18, 2014, which is still almost two years for us given that they are in 2014, a magic-science error caused the entirety of the Holy Marsh's male residents, including those outside its borders and non-Marshites inside the country, to develop an external female appearance. The Shift has also corrupted the Y chromosome so that any male Marshite born post-Shift is also afflicted with this issue."

"Now, I am not here to address any concerns. The official government response is of support for the Marshite government's handling of The Shift, and I will admit that I have no issue. In fact, if we actually had formal ties with the Marshite government, I would state that the Republic would stand by its side. No, what I am here today is to address is the fact that NONE of you informed me of this when it happened almost TWO years ago." The employees grew more frightened; though they did not show it externally, they were stunned at the President's near-complete lack of composure. Instead, they saw him breathe loudly, before regaining his patience. "Now, as I can see, many of you are terrified right now, and I'll admit that I do not want to go into a vicious tirade. Instead, that is why I have brought our guest here today. As of now, Sergeant Arch Dornan has been promoted to Captain. I now demand that all of you stand to attention for Captain Dornan. If you are wondering why he is here, I have brought him from Camp Navarro because of his infamy for zero tolerance, and also because he will be the one delivering the following message to you. Captain, you now have the floor."

Captain Dornan stood up from his seat behind the President, shook his hand, walked up to the center of the room, pacing at the heads of the intelligence agencies, including Aaron de Klerk from the Board of National Defence, Paul Hermann from the Federal Intelligence and Security Directorate, Sarah Parker of the Warriors' Order, and Jacob King of Blackwatch.

"Well, well. I thought I was supposed to meet those from Intelligence. All I see are a bunch of paper-shuffling jackasses! YOU MO-RONS! I OUGHT TO HAVE YOUR ASSES FOR DINNER! YOU ARE THE SORRIEST EXCUSES FOR THE INTELLIGENCE AGENCIES TO HAVE MISSED AN EVENT LIKE THIS FOR NEARLY TWO YEARS!"

At that moment, an employee timidly whimpered, "We weren't aware that this happened, sir."

"I AM NOT A SIR! I WORK FOR A LIVING, YOU MO-RON! YOU WILL CALL ME CAPTAIN OR CAPTAIN DORNAN! DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?!"

Another employee, while still whimpering, said a little more loudly, "We're sorry that we missed it, Cap."

"IF I LIKE YOU, THEN YOU CAN CALL ME CAP. BUT GUESS WHAT? I DON'T LIKE YOU! DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!"

By then, several employees had already burst into tears, while others, including the various leaders of the agencies, still kept quiet.

"IF I FIND OUT THAT ANY OF YOU MANAGE TO SCREW UP AGAIN, I WILL PERSONALLY HUNT YOU DOWN, KICK DOWN THE FRONT DOOR TO YOUR HOUSE, AND I WILL RAM MY POWER ARMOR-CLAD FOOT SO FAR UP YOUR ASS, THAT YOU WILL BE UNABLE TO SIT DOWN UNTIL YOU ARE FIVE HUNDRED AND TEN YEARS OLD, WHICH WILL BE HOW LONG BEFORE I WILL FORGET THIS SCREW-UP! DO YOU ALL UNDERSTAND?!"

By then, Director de Klerk began to reply in an exasperated tone, "Captain, I believe we understand, now can you drop the drill sergeant act and let us continue our work?"

Captain Dornan wheeled around to face de Klerk, then approached him. "WITH ALL DUE RESPECT, DIRECTOR, I AM HERE TO ADDRESS ALL OF YOU ON BEHALF OF THE PRESIDENT. THAT INCLUDES YOU, SO YOU WILL SHUT UP AND LET ME FINISH OR YOU WILL ANSWER TO THE PRESIDENT HIMSELF!"

De Klerk stood there, stunned with no response, before turning to look at President Roark with a surprised look on his face. Roark simply shrugged, and stated, "I promised Captain Dornan that everyone gathered here will pay attention to him, and I even stated minutes ago that everyone stand and give him their full attention. Aaron, I understand that you do not appreciate having a subordinate drill a lesson into you, but this goes for everyone, including you. So please, just continue to stand there and let him speak. Am I understood, Director?"

De Klerk, still stunned, stammered, then reluctantly replied, "Yes, Adam. I will give Captain Dornan my full attention, with no complaints."

"Very well, Aaron. Captain, may you finish?"

"Certainly, Mr. President. NOW, AS FOR THE REST OF YOU, I BELIEVE THAT THE PRESIDENT WOUD LIKE THAT NONE OF YOU MESS UP AGAIN, AND IF THIS DOES HAPPEN AGAIN, I'M SURE THE PRESIDENT WOULD AGREE TO MY THREATS OF RAMMING MY FOOT UP YOUR COLLECTIVE ASSES! I EXPECT THAT ALL OF YOU, INCLUDING YOU CRYBABY MAGGOTS, HAVE LISTENED CAREFULLY AND TOOK WHAT I SAID WITH EARNEST ATTENTION! DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!"

After a minute of silence, one of the employees quietly said, "Wouldn't it have been best if the President simply gave us this tirade instead of simply calling in a lowly drill sergeant like you to try and make us shit our pants?"

Captain Dornan quickly charged up to where the employee was and stood directly in front of him. "OH LOVELY, THEY SENT ME A MORON. YOU ARE NOT TO QUESTION MY ORDERS NOR MY AUTHORITY! I AM NO LONGER A SERGEANT, BUT A CAPTAIN! IF YOU HAD BEEN LISTENING FOR THE PAST HOUR, YOU WOULD'VE KNOWN THAT THE PRESIDENT PROMOTED ME TO CAPTAIN, SO I AM NOT A 'LOWLY DRILL SERGEANT,' LIKE YOU SAID! IF I SAY JUMP, YOU JUMP! IF I SAY FIGHT, YOU FIGHT! IF I SAY TO DIE FOR YOUR COUNTRY, THEN YOU WILL CERTAINLY DIE! THE NEXT TIME I SEE YOU, I BETTER SEE THAT YOU WILL NOT QUESTION ME AT ALL! HAVE I MADE MYSELF CLEAR?!"

The employee, now cowering in fear, simply stated, "Yes, Captain. I will not question you anymore, Captain."

"EXCELLENT, NOW, ARE THERE ANY MORE MORONS WHO WOULD LIKE TO CHALLENGE ME?!"

By then, no one wanted to incur the wrath of the captain, so a collective "No" served as their answer.

"GOOD, NOW YOU HAVE ALL BETTER REMEMBER WHAT I HAVE SAID HERE! DISMISSED!" Captain Dornan walked back towards where President Roark sat, shook his hand once more, then walked out of the Forum. Roark got up to the center of the Forum, and concluded, "As the Captain made clear, I hope that a failure to reply like this will not happen again, lest I recall Captain Dornan to make good of his threat. You are all dismissed, and are free to return back to your jobs or back home to recover from this traumatic experience." With that, everyone got up and proceeded to exit the Forum.
Last edited by The United Confederacy of Texas on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Filthy center-left statist
Straight
Agnostic atheist
Hack who RPs with subpar posts
Somewhat RP (not used as much), NS stats are somewhat reflected, a tendency for realism/futuristic stuff in some cases
Tex or U.C.T. works
This country mostly reflects my personal views
Will update this signature with a factbook in distant future

Free Ariadna
Secretary

Founded: Jan 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Ariadna » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:13 am

The Armed Republic of Free Ariadna was 31% Marshite at the time of The Shift. As such, the events of The Shift caused a great degree of social turmoil. The counties of Johnston and Mervigia were populated heavily by Marshites, causing societal breakdown for several days before the Minutemen restored order. Over the next several weeks as information slowly leaked to us as to the reasons for these changes, confusion turned to outrage and fear directed at Marshites in the nation. This uptick in violence was met with force by both Marshite populations and the Minutemen, and caused the near secession of Met and L'efeert. Cooler heads have prevailed, and several influential Marshite preachers have used this opportunity to convert a great deal of the population, bringing the percentage of Marshites in the nation to 40%.

In this Parliamentary vote, the Marshite party emerged with the most seats. The new Chancellor of Free Ariadna has pledged to apply to join the Romani-Mar'si Union, but only after a current lawsuit against the Grand Theocracy for disregarding Ariadnan Protection Laws has been settled.

Scharrath
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Scharrath » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:04 pm

Somewhere within a deep grotto on Scharrath, moist and throbbing with quivering life, the Demon Lord Ragheb became momentarily distracted from the attentions of its attendents. "Ahhhh... the barrier foolishly clung to cracks so sweetly!... In the so called "Holy" Marsh... this can be used... Prepare yourselves... to bring them such delights!!!" The grotto began to reverberate with a painful and violent cacophony of quivering and screams of pleasure...

The Arthurian Isles
Envoy

Founded: Feb 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Arthurian Isles » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:59 am

How much more joyful this place had seemed in days gone by. In an office on the fourth floor of the Altinghusið, looking north-easterly over Vestmanaeyjar's suburbs and its frozen river, the lights flickered on in spite of the early hour. It was just past midday, but the view from the curtain window was like something out of a midwinter's evening. Thick, grey cloud had replaced the sky entirely and snow fell not with the grace of a thousand flakes but with the fury of a blizzard. Not a ray of sunlight reached the earth below. Under a blanket of white the world seemed colourless - even the trees, which usually afforded a colourful spectacle from that office, were dark and leafless for the winter. The only people outside were rushing by, most of them sliding their way down 'ski-lanes' which had been carved out of the snow-drifts.

Even the sight of it made Runær feel cold, though she knew that at least some of her shivers were also caused by the medicine. She sat behind her desk, thick woollen jumper on over her shirt, and stared out into the bleakness. Her office, though sparsely decorated, was homely and exuded a warmth that the elements seemed to be trying to dampen. Behind her was a wall of bookshelves, chiefly populated with the sorts of uplifting political pieces one would expect from their owner, but interspersed also with personal photographs and souvenirs. More of these photos had been placed there in the past few weeks, in fact, depicting Runær alongside her two brothers and elderly but lively parents. The most recent of all was a small framed picture of a shaggy beast - a Bernese Mountain dog which Runær had adopted a few months prior. In the photo the dog could be seen, tongue sticking out, running down a mountain path towards the camera. In front of the desk, that same mutt was lying deep in sleep like some great hairy pile which rose and fell with each breath.

On the desk itself, facing away from the rest of the office, were two more framed photographs. Only Runær could see them; only she knew what they showed. She did not look at them now, though, for directly in front of her was a thick report, embossed multiple times with signs of its official status. Next to it was a notepad, scribbled over with a mind-map of sorts and a few bold sentences circled or underlined in a sense of urgency. Runær was glaring down on this all with a furrowed brow and eyes narrowed in concentration. As was her wont, her free hand naturally drifted to fiddle with her hair, though it stopped when it touched a woollen hat instead. The hand came back down to rest on the desk, and Runær placed her pen onto the notepad. She looked up and swivelled to face the window, sighing heavily. It was unusual to see her as melancholy as this.

There was a knock at the door. Runær looked up instantly, grateful to be distracted from her own lonely thoughts. That sadness which was so unbecoming of her was banished at once, replaced with her typical smile, as genuine as ever. Andri was standing by the entrance, half leaning into the office and staring inquisitively at her. His satchel was draped over his shoulder, as usual, and in his hand was a single sheet of paper.

"Andri, come in." Runær called over with enthusiasm. She pushed herself out of her chair, more carefully than she used to, and walked over to her guest. The two of them hugged, heading for the armchairs in the centre of the room.

"Are you alright, Runær?" Andri asked.

"Ja, of course." She shrugged off his question, avoiding his eyes, but he would not let her get away that easily. After an uneasy pause and a stern raised eyebrow, she responded again, this time more earnestly. "OK, I'm nauseous and a little tired, but that's just the medicine. It's not going to stop me doing my work."

"Alright. But if it gets any worse then I'm going to insist we talk. All night if we have to." Andri looked serious. Runær appreciated his concern, though, and she slowly brought her gaze back up to meet his. The smile was still there. "Anyway," he continued, returning to his casual self, "I have something that might be of interest to you."

"You now how I enjoy getting more jobs." There was no irony in her voice.

"This," he presented the sheet of paper he had brought with him, "is a report by the ARB concerning the Holy Marsh. Of all submissions, it is perhaps of particular interest to the Foreign Ministry."

"Is it indeed?"

Runær took the paper from Andri. He watched her calmly but intently as she read it. It took her only a couple of minutes and by the end she had narrowed her eyes once more, that little trait of hers which she couldn't help but do when concentrating. Eventually, she let the paper rest on her lap. "Well." She began. But she could say no more.

Sensing that she was speechless - a rare occasion and one which he ought to have savoured - Andri interrupted. "A message of goodwill, I thought. With all that's been happening in Noctur, it might be beneficial to remind the people - and ourselves - of the kinder side of neutrality."

"Yes, but what can we say?" Runær replied. "We can't do anything; they already are more advanced in medical technology than us. And it seems disingenuous to merely speak about it without offering action. What do you think?"

"In this case, I think, to speak is to act." Runær glanced directly over to Andri, clearly confused by this. He smiled and carried on. "This," he gestured to the report, "is unprecedented. Those whom it has affected may well be scared and their government will be confused, concerned or desperate. For them to know that anyone, wherever in the world they may be, is on their side may come as some small relief."

Runær nodded. He was right, of course. If only he was in her party, they might have won the election.

He stood up and turned to leave. Runær was still sitting in her armchair, pondering what to do. Just before he reached the door he turned back to her and said, "And besides, they're allies in your fight for LGBT rights."

"LGBT plus rights, Andri." She winked at him. He smiled, looking her in the eyes, and then turned and left.

My Friend, Archbishop Lainika,

What has befallen Holy Marsh is indeed a surprising event, and potentially distressing for those affected. The Arthurian Federation, its people and its government, have no doubt that of any country, it will be your own that can best adapt to the circumstances now faced; Holy Marsh is, after all, unique in its treatment of gender, both socially and politically. I have personally seen reports of the Arturen Rejnbol Bund confirming these assertions.

Nevertheless, help is needed by even the best of us and it is for this reason that I write to you. The Arthurian government cannot offer you anything of practical value, for we are a small country and greatly inferior to your own in scientific achievement. What we can provide, though, is the assurance that the Marshite people will not be judged by Arthuria. You will not be threatened, mocked, derided or condescended by our nation or our state, and we will continue to affirm the great strengths of Holy Marsh. In short, we will not alter our policies or assessments in the wake of The Shift.

I understand, too, that in times such as this good intentions are often of negligible worth. Therefore, the Arthurian government asks you to keep us in your mind; whenever the Marshite people are in need they have only to ask us for assistance. If we can meet your requests, we will do so. It has been a long-standing policy of the Arthurian Federation to provide aid to those truly in need of it, and we will not cease on this occasion.

I hope that this can be of some relief to your government and people. In the meantime, Vestmanaeyjar sends its warmest regards.

Yours in friendship,

Federal Minister Runær Arnardotar.
On behalf of the Storting and the Arthurian People
Last edited by The Arthurian Isles on Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

Olwe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Olwe » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:50 pm

Emperor Jason Frost opened his eyes, which had closed without warning midway through a conference with his advisors. "Is everything all right?" Minister Of Nature Freyalise Gunnarson asked him.

"I sensed something... awakening," he said. "A massive amount of dark energy. Demonic energy. On a level of power I've not encountered in centuries."

"Can you tell exactly what it was?" Medwyn the Librarian asked.

"Or where?" Freyalise added.

"Or when?" Mandos Fiedor, the Walker Of Time, said.

"No," Jason said. "But it was too powerful, and focused, to just be random energy. Something that should have remained sleeping just woke up, and its mind is set to purpose." He paused, reaching out with his senses, trying to touch the energy again. He recoiled slightly at the way it felt when he found it, but maintained his connection to it despite his loathing. "I don't know where it's coming from," he said, "but I have an idea where it's going to." He opened his eyes again. "The Holy Marsh. Though I haven't the foggiest idea why." He turned to his Minister Of Foreign Affairs. "Andrea, get in touch with our embassy there. They can warn the necessary authorities. Mandos, put your wife on this." Enelya, Mandos' wife, was a prophet... if anyone could figure out why this dark force hungered for the Holy Marsh and where it was coming to them from, it was her. "Everyone else, we need a battle plan." While the men with specific tasks went to take care of them, Jason and his remaining advisors started discussing troop deployments... if the Holy Marsh came under attack, Olweans would be there to meet the attackers.

Goldsaver
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Goldsaver » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:34 pm

Official Communique from the Latark Holy Order of the Golden Dragons
Disclaimer: The views represented here are of the private views of the government officials who have authored them, and do not represent the position of the Federation.

An Open Letter Regarding the Transmutation Event Within the "Grand Theocracy."

We within the order are most fascinated by the events that have transpired in the the Holy Marsh, both as a significant display of the potential of paranormal powers and a promising avenue of study in regards to the transformation of the body. More cynically, this demonstrates a deeply disturbing example of how reckless use of such power can have enormous consequences. While some time has passed since the onset of the event, we within the Knights of Latark wish to extend an open hand to help in anyway we can.

As a matter of formal introductions: I am Knight-Commandant Asrian, Lord of Light of the City-State of Latark. I communicate the views of the ruling Council of the Knights of Latark; however, few of my fellows in the wider Federation share our interest in this event, though that could change quickly as I will soon discuss. For what it's worth, the general public thinks us a house of superstition, and word of the event that occurred within the Theocratic Empire has not been spread by major media networks, who have dismissed it as an absurdity. Our President, successor to the holy Emperor, has acknowledged our concerns and placed full faith in our ability to represent the Federation in this international issue, but is unable to give us official power to do so.

With that said, we have a number of concerns to be addressed to the appropriate leadership within the Grand Theocracy:

• Firstly, we inquire as to whether any significant number of individuals are adjusting poorly to the change in their bodies. The Knights of Latark would gladly offer therapeutic aid using best modern evidence-based practice if any finacial or other barriers prevent them from doing so in the theocracy. For those who are reacting extremely poorly to the transition- either a suicide risk or a survivor of suicide attempts- we would like to offer an experimental set of treatments to restore the appearance of their original bodies, using the abilities granted to us by the Heavens.
  • Secondly, we wish to have a discussion regarding the changes in mind and memories caused by this event. While the official position of the Marshite government seems to be dismissive, we find the mere possibility of such wide-spread mind-altering to be deeply disturbing, and our compatriots in the wider Federation share this concern. For our Emperor did decree: "None Shall be Held in Chains," yet this event seems to have demonstrated that individuals of ill intent may be able to access such technology or powers to throw chains upon all the world. We must be able to inform the wider Federation that there is no risk of a similar event resulting in wide-spread mind control by any being. If that possibility does exist, the Knights of Latark would like to extend a hand to ensure that that possibility is eliminated.
  • Thirdly, we would like to have an open discussion regarding the role of paranormal abilities in the modern world; such matters are widely considered fiction in the wider Federation, but our nation's own history highlights the importance of using these abilities in order to be ready for supernatural terrors. Specifically, we wish to see to the creation of an international defense force making full use of such abilities, limited in scope to fight such abominations.
  • Fourthly, in conjunction with the Lord of Thought of Dritlit, we wish to officially request access to any research regarding this event that the Theocratic Empire is willing to make public, so that we may determine a way to prevent similar events occurring within our Federation's borders or, indeed, across the world.
With our concerns announced, we hope for a fruitful discussion with the Theocratic Empire, and perhaps move towards a world where the truth of the paranormal might be revealed to the general citizenry of the Federation.

Gladly,
The Lord of Light, Asrian Night-Hunter, Commandant of the Knights of Latark
The Free Federation of the Golden Lands
Free Federation Q&A
Liberal Democracy; Militaristic; Federation; Feminist
"None Shall be Held in Chains"
"All May Find Shelter Behind Our Walls"
"No Evil Shall Survive Our Wrath"

Patrick OConner
Minister

Founded: Sep 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Patrick OConner » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:29 am

Square Office
Red House
Statesboro
Timocratic Republic

President General Marai Overhill was barely started her first term as leader of a nation of stubborn hard headed soldiers. She had enough headaches already, from clean up of the Rebellion to dealing with Senate which was always a chore when trying to get them to approve budgets. She was already starting to feel tired but tried not to show it. Her blue pants suit were sightly crumpled and her red hair was slightly rumpled but here green eyes were bright as ever. But this was a brand new headache of the most epic proportions.
"Tell me again what happened." Marai said looking at one of her cabinet members, this one in charge of health and human services.
"Well ma'am it seems that 7% of our population and suddenly and radically been altered. The male have become very feminine expect for the genitals which remain the same. The changes seem to be in the DNA."
"Connections?"
"They are all immigrants from Marsh."
"Interesting. Continue your investigation but do so quietly. I do not want to alarm anyone. Dismissed"
The man nodded and left. As he exited another man entered this one looking plain in every way.
"Director Felix please tell me that you have some answers?"
"I do man. As you know the Supernatural Suppression Bureau, while being secret has...certain methods not available to other...."
"Well? Out with it."
"We can confirm that magic of some kind was involved. Powerful magic as well but what kind we do not know."
"From where did it come from?"
"Holy Marsh seems to have been the epicenter of the event."
"Great...Begin cover up operations ASAP Felix. Dismissed" The man nods then turns and leaves the room.
Marai turn back to her work and sighs. She sets aside here current paperwork and sets about writing a letter to the Arch Bishop of the Holy Marsh.
Member of Task Force Atlas
IATA Member

I choose the second definition of it. This meaning rule by virtue and not owning land to be allowed to vote or hold political office. Instead one is required to serve time in the military (currently 6 years)

Tech Level: Mix MT/PMT

Holy Marsh
Negotiator

Postby Holy Marsh » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:13 am

An Update on The Shift and it's effects on the Holy Marsh and others, nearly four years later:

It has been four years since the arcanotech accident known as The Shift hit all Marshites the world over. The only new and notable development since the last update is a noticeable upswing in what is being termed 'Shift Memory Syndrome', or SMS. SMS has no seeming indicator of affliction or transference and is currently affecting 12% Marshites who were alive at the time of The Shift in the nation, with similar percentages in other nations. Those afflicted, or in some other eyes blessed, do not remember the Shift as having had any impact. Life and indeed all of Marshite history has always been this way to those thus impacted. SMS is found in 100% of all current children born to even one Shifted parent after The Shift, even if born minutes or days later. What is known is that it is developing at an exponential rate; it was 0.5% in the first year, 0.9% in year two, 3% in year three, and 12% with a few months left in year 4. Most estimates within the Theocracy believe that within five years, SMS will be found in every Marshite effected by The Shift. The cause is unknown.

Current plans call for this to be portrayed as a willing and knowing decision by the Marshite people to embrace such an unusual divine sign, with those few not touched by The Shift(The Holy Warriors chief among them) planning to ensure this. Educational materials, historical documents, recorded television programs, and a large raft of supplementary elements on culture are being subtly altered on a day to day basis for the eventual mass-change. While news spread out of the gates about something similar, the Theocracy has gone to great lengths to keep the expanding nature of the problem and its unknowable methodology from spreading. It is therefore a rather unknown element to The Shift.

Religiously, The Shift's impact on the Shrines has continued to balloon. The Female Shrine, which believes that the Holy Marsh is female and that females are the chosen people, has continued to experience a massive explosion in adherence to beliefs of the Shrine. It was the largest Shrine based on something other than the number of divine figures. It is now the second largest Shrine in the nation behind the Monotheistic Shrine. Semi-Radical Cleric Cerisa Alahana, Primary Cardinal of the Shrine, is currently by right of Shrine population the most powerful Cardinal in the nation by several magnitudes. The Male Shrine continues to suffer catastrophic membership losses and is now the least populated Major Shrine , a position which means it lost the right to place a Cardinal on the Council and has only one representative in the Bishop Circle. Bishop Superior Markias El'Sara's attempts to reorganize the Shrine in accordance with The Shift has proved only somewhat adequate, and a Religious Relevance Intervention is planned in August. The Cardinal Council will judge the Male Shrine's interpretations of holy text. Should it fail to provide adequate arguments, it will lose its place as one of the officially sanctioned Shrines.

Internationally, the bodies altered by The Shift have proven unusual in many ways. While they are obviously altered in the already known ways, the Shift had other effects than a swap of male physical characteristics. In multiple nations where Marshites and the Medical Service interacted heavily with Non-Humans, Sapient Ponies, and other physically different creatures from normal human forms, many Marshites underwent physical alterations to more closely match them. Some research suggest Shrine affiliation may have played some role, with Ponyist Shrine members become Marshite Equines, and the overwhelming majority of Marshites in nations such as AHSCA becoming various Non-Humans if they were affiliated with the Non-Human Shrine. Even Marshites who were members of other Shrines in these nations may have undergone changes. Universally these changes were completed without any sort of disabling deformity. Socially within these nations Marshites have, on the whole, had a genetic and chemical tendency to accept and promote any new classifications unless they interfere with day to day life. The cause of this is unknown.

Across the world many governments and doctors have used advanced and more rudimentary medical techniques to try and reverse the effects. Over the years, however, the Theocracy has attempted to stop. Hormonal and genetic techniques have failed. Cellular degradation and rebuild has failed. Transauric destabilization and transmutation has failed. A dozen more techniques have failed, usually with blowback. Normal sexual reassignment programs are not just unsuccessful, but in every case the patient's body has responded by dramatically increasing the presence of feminizing agents. In over 75% of cases, patients start to develop SMS.

–----

The following messages are post-marked several years in the past, at the time immediately after The Shift when the mentioned nations sent their missives:

Arthurian Isles

From the Desk of the Arch-Bishop, to Runný Arnadóttir of the Arthurian Isles:

It is in times of stress and the unknown that the character of a people can be best explored. Under duress we reveal who we are, and in our compassion and longing to reach out and share in the duress of others one can show great strength. Many are the boastful words and deeds better left unsung of those longing to be heard and failing to understand what you and your nation show most eloquently. The greatest strength that one nation can offer another comes not from technological achievement, the might of their armies, or the weight of their coin, but in the strength of character they can lend to those in need. We may not find need for it now, but know we have taken note of your nation and the people who call it home, and do so with a smile.

Goldsaver
From the Desk of the Arch-Bishop, to The Lord of Light, Asrian Night-Hunter, Commandant of the Knights of Latark :

Greetings Commandant Night-Hunter. I have summoned those most knowledgeable in the finer details of the event to help answer your questions.

First off, no significant number of peoples reacted with any exceptional distress post-Shift. At first we maintained that this was entirely due to our nation's rather unusual and time-honored ability to handle stress and sacrifice. And indeed, we doubt that any nation would have done as well as we because of that. But it is very true that nearly universally the numbers are much better than could have ever even been hoped for. We have every reason to believe that some side effect of the combination of magic and technology involved may have altered one's feelings regarding gender identity or expression, at least enough to forestall any serious disquiet. Additionally, we have tried now in some ways for nearly four years with a wide variety of magic and scientific avenues of attack, and any 'success' is very short-lived and undone and then some in much less time.

Secondly, only a few people seem to have been impacted from some sort of 'memory alteration'. We believe this may have been an interaction with the above magic; in an attempt to 'satisfy' the mind so it accepted the change more easily, those with memory changes instead underwent dramatic memory alterations. We have studied this extensively and seeing no real change over time with the number of reported cases, we can safely call it a 'glitch' more than anything. Your concern, however, is duly noted.

Third, we would love to discuss the matter of the arcane. The Theocracy is always puzzled by the denial of magic by the more advanced nations of the world. The evidence exists around them, yet they wallow in ignorance! Alas, no nation is perfect. We would be pleased to host such a discussion. The creation of an Arcanic Defense League is enticing.

Fourth, we would be pleased to share as much as we can about this event with you as possible, perhap during this meeting of the Arcane?

AHSCA
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 08, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby AHSCA » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:48 am

An Open Letter to the Great Church of Holy Marsh

Honorable Arch-Bishop Lainika,

I am reaching out to you in regards to the four years of watching how The Shift has effected our populations of the Great Holy Marsh and of AHSCA. For centuries our two faiths, Marshism and Madokamisim have always worked hand-in-hand, side by side for the building and strengthening of our communities. We've continued to see the effects of The Shift on our own and Marshite practitioners in our nation with the change over to female along with several turning into neko, kitsune and female alike.

Over the course of the years through much prayer, meditation, it's come to us divinely, This is a true miracle willed by the grace of Holy Marsh and Madokami herself. It leaves little doubt also in our interpretations of revelations, Holy Marsh is indeed a Female Goddess and that it is true the Female are the chosen people of divinity. That said, it can't reduce the role and importance of men in the world as lifetime companions, fathers, teachers and other members of society and no doubt we expect the same love for unaffected men to continue as we know the people of the Holy Marsh Kingdom to still be kind. It is unknown what will Holy Marsh has for your people or Madokami has for us but no doubt our two faiths are truly more intertwined than previously imagined or thought.

The point I am reaching for is, this is a divine will and should be allowed to continue by the faith of your people and any attempts to force or change should be stopped. Do mind, this is only a request from a private citizen, we don't know what our Government will feel about it if they have any response. In the mean time, I hope you may consider writing me back so we may talk further. Hopefully in the near future I might even make it to Holy Marsh when the seasons change again and the seas become more manageable.

Blessings of the Light upon you,

High Priestess Himeko Himamiya
Church of Madokamisim

Holy Marsh
Negotiator

Postby Holy Marsh » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:00 pm

From the Desk of the Arch-Bishop, to High Priestess Himeko Himamiya:

It was a pleasant surprise to receive a letter from a religious official from the church of Madokamisim. Our long-standing ties of friendship with you and yours has been one of the more public displays showcasing the value of religious cooperation and friendship, and it is pleasant to note that the events of The Shift have not dented or maligned them in any way. The changes in your nation to Marshite practicioners is indeed some of the more drastic, yet all the same, accepted with grace as the rest.

I myself am no member of the Female Shrine, as I consider the gender and sex of the Gods a rather mutable subject. I can say that within the majority of sects inside the Female Shrine, the male figure is not considered poor or unworthy of status or import in society. Just as those blessed with good health and fortune are expected to care for those less fortunate and build the proper bridges for society, so is the female the standard-bearer and leader, who is expected to develop proper methodology for the 'less fortunate' to follow. Of course the severity and extremity of these beliefs and the lengths that they can extend to depend on the extremity of that specific sect of the Shrine. Nevertheless, one who feels mistreated or maligned may always seek a Shrine better suited for them.

As for trying to stop or prevent this, any such efforts ceased years ago. All efforts failed and even more than that the evolving and changing nature of it all has surely silenced critics who did not believe this a religious event. It is no curse or bane, but a blessing and a boon for all believers. I would be most welcoming if you chose to visit our land, and stand ready to receive you and any company you bring at any time.

Yours in Friendship and Light,
Arch-Bishop Lainika of the Grand Theocracy

Holy Marsh
Negotiator

Postby Holy Marsh » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:03 pm

While the basic elements of The Shift hold true across the world in those who were directly impacted by it, many nations reported unique variances and developments over the years. Here are a few of the more noteworthy ones.

(OOC: Have ideas? Shoot me a message and we can come up with some fun ideas!)
--------
Mokastana

During the immediate aftermath of The Shift, the People's Federation of Mokastana placed many Marshites in temporary internment camps and asked Militia bases to enact a self-imposed lockdown. Several notable political figures- including four Senators, six Federal Parliamentarians, and a large number of national-level politicians- had been forced into the internment camps. Marshites complied due to long-standing ties of friendship, but after they were released when it was realized the effects were not contagious, the Marshite population realized it was vulnerable.

Marshite Militias had always been prominent in Mokastana as far as Militias go, but soon they created national-level strategic, logistic, recruitment, and training pipelines that stretched farther and went deeper than other Militias. With foreign aid from Marshites across the globe with donations and secret military support from the Theocracy, Marshite Militias made up a ferocious, well-trained, and well-equipped defensive force. They also were by pure numbers the largest religious militia in the nation. They worked closely with several friendly Militias, including non-religious Marshite militias, Nekomini Militias, political militias, and the like.

Organizing them was a shadow government set up by Marshites and focused around the Shrines, creating a national 'secondary government' whose primary duties lay in handling small-time Marshite affairs between one another and the handling of the growing militia forces. While loyal still to the Federation and its ideals, it foresaw a situation wherein Marshites and those they loved needed to fight for themselves, at least at scale and length until the Federation could aid them.

This was proven right a few years after The Shift when a radical Kyogist (Mashite term) militia launched an attack against nekomini citizenry in an effort to kickstart a nationwide movement. The Marshite Militias responded with great swiftness on the national level, seizing Kyogist supplies and headquarters and castrating the possibility of a larger uprising while also sending in forces to directly engage. By the time Federal forces arrived, the Marshites had reduced, blunted, and were in the process of counter-attacking, the radical militias.

Post-Incident, the Marshite Militias received a great deal of positive press from the PUF press. The Federation publicly was rather pleased as well, though further investigation would reveal the presence of many illegal weapons in Marshite stockpiles as well as the existence of the organized shadow government. Rather than consider this a major problem, the Marshites involved were eager to discuss future possibilities within the Federation. Marshite influence in Federal affairs had been growing at a rapid rate, and this had only grown more so in the aftermath of the conflict in the RSU. With the swift and effective moves of the Marshite militia in response to radical aggression and their ability to safeguard the interests of citizens plainly seen, the Federation saw an opportunity as well. And so, a deal was struck...

In AHSCA, the effects of The Shift were known early on. The majority of those affected started to develop non-human traits immediately, and this shift(pun not intended) in demographics continued. Within hours, nearly one-hundred percent of Marshites were non-human and by the end of the day that number had managed to encompass all Marshites. Over the next few years, it was observed that this change was not just cosmetic, but was a full species change, with those thus impacted changing their species completely.

Most changed to one of the many local species but a number changed to the ancient Tigris of Pushania, a non-human variant species known more commonly as 'Tigerpeople' who were thought extinct more than 4500 years ago. The re-emergence of this species has been lauded by the Theocracy, and Tigris have been offered vast luxuries to return to the Theocracy to repopulate the old tribal lands.

A large number also switched sexes during The Shift, which was one of many reasons that the local government used to classify Marshites as a monogendered people. There was little pushback initially from local Marshites, but over time such resistance has completely eroded. With The Shift's ongoing effects rumoured to be based on social and cultural cues, this goes some way to explaining the 80-20 female to male Marshite birth ratio since The Shift in AHSCA.

In Romandeos, the effects of The Shift long term were most unusual. In Romani Society, size determined power in relationships and in a larger role, society. Marshites are smaller by nature than their Romani cousins and The Shift only made this more so. Even though most Romani were likewise impacted, all Marshites were, which created a greater imbalance. With The Shift taking social and cultural cues from the nations that ethnic Marshites lived in, this created a very unique social dynamic.

Marshites were always amazing social adapters, quickly forming up behind whatever was culturally necessary to integrate themselves as long as it did not interfere with their faith. This was turned up dramatically in Romandeos Post-Shift. Marshites, always seeing themselves as naturally and pleasantly subservient to Romani in social and personal affairs, took it much further. A Marshite Service Industry grew by leaps and bounds as many Marshites felt a need to service and aid their Romani cousins. The Service Guild was born, which set standards and practices for the industry as a whole. Meanwhile, Romani-Marshite interpersonal relations skewed more Romani than ever before.

This came to a head when a Marshite led initiative in Romandeos was passed by local officials and finally by the Federated States as a whole, with the blessing of the Empress Herself. This created a servant class of citizenry, occupied mostly by Marshites, with certain privileges but mostly acceding many things to the 'Prominent Romani' in their lives. With the Service Guild policing contracts to ensure fairness and Marshites willfully giving up certain rights, the status of relations in Romandeos changed oddly. Still, a Marshite could always choose to abandon the so-called Domestic Sphere, and fierce watchdogging by the Theocracy, RMU, and vast political forces locally ensure that the right to choose, freedom of self and movement, and the ability to exercise all rights afforded them by the Church are kept sacred.

_______
Lamoni

Lamoni was always a nation with a fascination with the sea, being first born from the shipwrecks that rocked the coast. Marshite settlers who came later were long-ranging explorers seeking something other than the eternal war that scarred their homeland. It was no shock over time that these peoples would interact so well, and that Marshites would always take to the sea in great numbers. Indeed, it was said that the blood of the extinct Tel'Quessir non-human species in their veins.

The truth of this was revealed Post-Shift. Slowly at first and then by the tens of thousands daily, Marshites started to undergo dramatic changes (as if the general Shift changes weren't dramatic enough). Over the course of a half-year, all Marshites in Lamoni, and even a portion of those who were not, became the Tel'Quissir- or as they would be known to the world, Sea Elves. With a need to be submerged in water every 24 hours being discovered relatively quickly and only a few close calls, leaders began to call for a mass emigration to the coastal areas.

Some followed, but many more went one step further and started to build underwater cities. The old Tel'Quessir ability to shape structures out of corral and rock allowed such cities to get a great start. Soon, vast amounts of funding and modern technology flooded into the projects. Vast complexes of corral and modern construction materials, fiber optic cable lines, and giant biodomes littered the seas around Lamoni. Twenty percent of the nation took to the seas, and this mammoth change to Marshites and Lamonians alike is sure to have a long-ranging impact in the region.

_____
Palmyrion

In Palmyrion, The Shift caused 70% of the affected to become asexual/aromantic. The cause of this is not truly understood, though the society's deep scarring from past STD and viral outbreaks related to sexual intercourse is rumoured to play at least some part in it. However, in another twist, the vast majority of pregnancies that have cropped up since The Shift have resulted in triplets or more. Whether this will be able to ensure population stability without having to enforce alternate breeding methods is unknown.

______
Povolzhye Khaganate

Before The Shift in the Povolzhye Khaganate, Marshites were a rising ethnic and religious minority. Their fierce approval and work for the cause of independence earned them the rest of local while their good nature and hard work allowed them to find success in society. The events of The Shift, however, changed matters greatly in the Khaganate. The various Khanates are generally quite conservative, with several Khanates in particular having significant discrimination issues against the LGBT community. While distasteful to Marshite customs, it was believed that given time these attitudes could be changed.

The Shift made locals very uneasy and in some cases angry. Marshites were able to bargain the respect they had earned into having fruitful negotiations, but it was clear that they were going to lose certain things. Back and forth between local Marshites, who by and large wanted to prove themselves as quality citizens and to change the minds of locals through sheer excellence, and the Theocracy, who was ready and willing to enter into conflict should Marshite Basic Rights be effected, allowed local Marshites to make deals with the Khaganate.

They were helped in these negotiations by two factors. While Marshites had several culture clashes with locals, they had almost always proven themselves to be quality people and citizens. Secondly, The Shift had turned those affected into any individual Khanate's version of idealized beauty. This supernatural beauty and respect earned them the ability to negotiate in good faith with the Khaganate. The result is known as the Hijra Accords, named after the Caste that those thus impacted by The Shift belong to.

Hijra had an approved name list as well as a dress code to better aid locals in understanding who was what, which was a big fear of some more conservative elements. They had an approved jobs list, most of which conformed to purely or defined feminine roles in society with the exception of military service, where Marshites tenaciously argued and won the right for full and open service. A tax on all Hijra was put into play and called the Jizya, while the education system was altered to focus more on job training and beauty.

Marshites, meanwhile, won several important elements. They got the right to run their communities largely bereft of any and all interference from Khanates. Inside of such communities, the Hijra Laws wre considered null legally. They had the right to police themselves, run their own education and health systems, collect the required taxes, and other state functions as long as all responsibilities to the Khanate at large were fulfilled. Marshites would form several large guilds- the Housekeeper's Guild, Performance Guild, Brothel Guild, etc. to just name a few- that would give Hijra in such guilds access to information and resources that they would otherwise lack. This allowed Hijra, otherwise powerless, to find better employers and 'work', by diligently trying to shift away from those with poor records.

Marshites agreed to the Accords and adapted almost immediately to it. The belief firmly held by Marshites at large was that by consistent excellence in the face of adversity they would prove their worth, as well as the worth of their beliefs, to the extent that the laws would be struck and the Khaganate at large would benefit from the light of Marshism. Five years on, the laws are still in place, though several Khanates are speaking in some circles about relaxing them.

The Shift had another notable impact, this time limited to the Chuvash peoples and the Tatarstan, respectively. A small number of the Chuvash tuned into Vereçelen, known outside of the Khanate as the Dragon-Blooded. Vereçelen are a non-human species that share similarities in some ways with Lamias or other non-human species. They have a mostly human upper torso, the lithe bottom half a snake, but the mighty wings of a dragon. The exact cause is unknown as the Khaganate has not fully released such specimens for study, though some theorize that the Vereçelen may have been an off-shot of Lamias who mated with dragons in ancient time, and whose bloodline thus remained intact.

A number of Tatars turned into a non-human species as well, a variant of the Zilant. The Zilant shares many elements of similarity with Vereçelen, with a few notable exceptions. The top half is scaly, leading to an inhuman appearance even at their most human. Unlike Vereçelen and Lamias who lack feet, Zilants do have two legs and two feet- much like a bird's with talons at the end, with the body and wings otherwise being similar to a Vereçelen.

Both were revered as mythological and religious figures in their societies, which gave them certain rights and powers otherwise not likely to be granted. They also had responsibilities and lifestyles that could be considered restrictive, as they are in some ways viewed as more animal than man, and whose duties and worship are considered more important than free will.
Last edited by Holy Marsh on Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates