NATION

PASSWORD

The Rise of the Fitzpatricks [Regional Only]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Winst
Spokesperson

Founded: May 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

The Rise of the Fitzpatricks [Regional Only]

Postby Winst » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:19 pm

Rain fell on the passing funeral procession as it drove through the cemetery. Dozens of cars slowly approached the top of the hillside to their final destination; a newly erected of James Fitzpatrick III. Nearby his name had been freshly carved on the family mausoleum. His son watched from close proximity as his urn was placed inside the family vault. His younger sister was crying on the shoulder of her mother with her husband standing beside her trying tho soothe her. Jim, on the other hand, displayed no emotion for his dead father simply watching silently as a few words were spoken about his father. Once the quick service was over the attendants fled to a canopy tent that had been raised nearby crowding underneath to get away from the rain. As Jim joined the wet masses under the canopy he was barraged by people. Many only passing acquaintances who had to spend more time trying to get Jim to remember how he knew them than anything else. They would say a quick and empty condolence before pulling out a business card and giving a quick pitch. Jim faced the horde amicably it was well known that Winst never stops networking even in the face of death. Smiles and small talk continued for some time before he slipped away in a lull. He grabbed an umbrella and found a rather protected spot under a nearby tree overlooking his father's new statue. Where others saw a stoic face, and a gentle smile only found scorn and mockery. To Jim his father's statue was everything wrong with the man. Jim lit a cigarette while cursing under his breath sending a puff of smoke into the air.

"That'll kill you, you know." A man said approaching Jim's hideaway. Jim looked up to see the face of his cousin Edward Carnagie giving him a false look of worry.

"Says the man who got a new lung four years ago. I didn't expect you to show up for my old man's funeral Eddie." Jim replied in a cold unemotional voice. Edward's eye twitched a little when Jim called him Eddie. It was nearly impossible for most people to pick up on but Jim had devoted half of his life to pissing Edward off, time well spent in Jim's opinion.

"It's just Edward now Jim I'm the head of the Carnagie family." Of course, Jim already knew that and Edward knew that he did also, but such things would never be discussed publicly between the two, at least not anymore.

"My apologies Mr. Carnagie I meant no offense" Jim replied dryly

"Don't be like that Jim, I'm trying to reconnect here. We've fought in the past, but things are different now the circumstances have changed."

Edward exclaimed extending his arms out towards his father's statue. His voice and expression were carefully tailored as he softened his features looking more humble and saddened. Jim, however saw the truth Edward's eyes never changed they were sharp and calculating always looking for a chance to gain more power. Edward continued

"Your father was a great man, we need to continue working together to complete your fathers last project."

Jim took a long drag of his cigarette before exhaling with a sigh.

"No Eddie, no he wasn't. He was an antiquated fool who has driven my family into the ground. He wanted to keep us in the past where he felt safe, and worse of all he was far too trusting of "Family".

Jim's eyes grew harsh as he turned to face Edward for the first time. The sudden shift in mood broke through Edwards defenses forcing a smirk across his face before quickly disappearing.

"My father went to his grave thinking it was his fault the company collapsed, but Edward I know the truth you betrayed my Father to boost yourself up. He trusted you and you stabbed him in the back."

"What are you implying here Jim" Edward responded barely controlling his anger.

"You know damn well what you did to us for your own personal gain. Don't think that nobody noticed how you became head of the Carnagie Family. My father was blinded by his love for you, but people know the real you Edward. That fool can root in hell for all I care but I will restore my family, and I will do everything in my power to end you Edward.

Rage filled Edward's face before he regained control. The smirk returned to his face as he began to walk away "Good luck with that Jim, good luck with that."

"Edward, It's James Fitzpatrick to you"

Edward scoffed as he waved back at him before getting back into his car.

James took one last drag of his cigarette before dropping it on the nearby cement foundation of a bench extinguishing it with his foot. At his disposal was the rest of the Fitzpatrick wealth not much but enough to begin rebuilding the Fitzpatrick name little by little. Looking at his father's statue James proclaimed

"I will bring this family greatness you stupid fool. You shall be forgotten in the history of our family mark my words."

From behind the tree, a woman appeared in a black dress.

"I may be able to help you achieve your goal and my own at the same time." The woman began "My employer has been looking for a partner for quite some time you seem like a likely candidate. How much do you know about Mining in Abutu?" as a smile drew across her face.
Last edited by Winst on Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for a decent RP region to join? Try Greater Olympus.

Good people, Active RPs, Great Maps.

Greater Olympus is always looking for more dastardly democracies, maniacal monarchies, contemptible commies, and glorious failed states of all sizes to join our group!

Abutu
Civil Servant

Founded: May 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Abutu » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:46 pm

At first James was taken aback. This strange woman had appeared to have stalked him during the funeral, and only made her appearance after everyone else was gone. What she asked though was of even greater peculiarity to James. As one of the corporate families - even one that was falling apart like his, it was common to be approached by members of the business community to invest or to pitch an idea. However they usually just pitched some new financial product or technological device. But this woman mentioned mining in Abutu of all places was a first for him. Access to the Abutan mining industry has always been a dream for the Winstian venture capitalist, but with Akoni in power and the general instability of the Erekusian continent, it was always seen as an unrealistic dream.

“What I know about mining in Abutu is almost immaterial to me since investing in that country is basically asking for complete bankruptcy and living in the streets”

Taken aback by his forthrightness and dismissive attitude, her smile dissipated into a straight face and with a much sharper tone she responded

“Mr. Fitzpatrick, the laws in my country will be for my employer to handle, but for you, this presents an opportunity. Currently your family is on the verge of bankruptcy, however you and I both know your remaining assets are very liquid which is why you are such a good candidate for this partnership.”

As much as it pained Jim to admit it, she was right, he was desperate and he had enough to go big or go home, but this was not how he intended to rebuild the families corporate empire.

“Look what you're asking me, is to put everything my family and I have left on the line for a mysterious partner, one whom i will probably never meet who has some grand mining proposition that will somehow make my family as rich as it was before my father”

“Yes Mr. Fitzpatrick, that is exactly what we are offering to you. We just need your capital for the equipment and proper logistical operation to launder these gems ”

“ So the capital alone isn't for the mining, you also need to build the infrastructure to sneak it past numerous governments. This reeks of a venture waiting to end in a giant hearing and lost assets”

“Mr. Fitzpatrick, the value of this mine is worth trillions over the next 50 years, diamonds have both an industrial and commercial use, and these diamonds as found by my employers have a unique potential to be the highest quality in the world. When you flood the global markets with our diamonds, you will make billions and secure your family's future for the next 3 generations. I urge you to consider this offer Mr. Fitzpatrick, you will not receive another one like it."

She approached him with a plain white business card, no name, just a phone number with a Winstian calling code and digits.

“You have the next 48 hours to decide, otherwise that number will not work and you will not hear from me or my employer again. Thank you for your time Mr. Fitzpatrick.”

She then brushed passed and into her car, leaving James alone at the cemetery to ponder what he was going to do.
Last edited by Abutu on Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winst
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Winst » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:08 pm

James sat at his fathers in the study of the Fitzpatrick Manor. The building was old, built in the 17th century under the reign of François VII. It had replaced an older castle that had stood in the same location for nearly 400 years. The castle had collapsed due to disrepair and an earthquake liquefying its foundation. The rubble was cleared or used to fill in the surrounding moat and in its place a beautiful Baroque manor was built. Thomas Fitzpatrick had been granted the property after serving as the Commandant General of Fraçois VII, and had been in the family ever since. The manor was a source of pride of the Fitzpatrick family, however, James was faced with a tough decision keep it and risk financial collapse or sell it and enter into the risky Abutu venture.

Any attempt to rebuild his family would be met by interference by Carnagie. If he was lucky he could bring the family back from the brink as a minor house of Winst. However, James had more ambition than that. Edward Carnagie had stolen his father’s seat in the assembly of peers, brought his family near bankruptcy, and destroyed their new business venture in return for favor with another family, James wanted to undo the damage and restore his family fully. However, all he had left was the Fitzpatrick Manor, a few miscellaneous estates elsewhere, the Fitzpatrick Shoe Company, and investments left over from his grandfather. Most of the estates were being sold with exception to the townhouse in Silvus and another smaller country estate where his mother lived, and all investments and inheritance had been pooled together. The question remained the manor or the company. James furrowed his brow in frustration it was a decision he did not want to make.

Vincent Guillory entered the room his nappy black hair covering his eyes. His paint covered hands swept his hair aside revealing his cheerful demeanor before his hair quickly returned to its original position much to his chagrin. They had met while James was still Jim and going through what Vincent called his “drifter phase” a phrase that annoyed the hell out of James. That was six year ago, and they had been together ever since. Vincent jumped into the swivel across from James and began spinning in it.

“James why can’t we just go back to the old days when we lived in that loft in Silvus. We used to go out and see the city, not a care in the world as we lived off of my artwork.” He said as slowly stopped spinning.

“I clearly remember living off of my stipend, not your artwork Vincent.” With a smirk, James responded as he continued to look through the various papers on his desk.

James looked up to see Vincent’s pouty face before quickly returning to a grin as James stood up.

“You know your puppy dog eyes don’t work unless I can see your eyes,” James said with a sigh removing one of several hair ties from his wrist pulling Vincent’s hair back into a bun revealing the man’s full face once again. “There, now try again” James teased.

“I mean it ever since you learned of your father’s illness you haven’t been the same. Your carefree eyes have changed they are sharp now.”

“I know Vincent; I know I can’t continue to hide from my name. I want to be able to embrace it. Like my family, I’m far too prideful its part of who I am. It’s going to be tough, but if I succeed I can buy you all the art supplies in the world…” James paused for a second reaching inside his jacket pocket nervously. “and give you the wedding you deserve.” He said as he dropped to his knee presenting an engagement pendant.

The next morning while Vincent was still asleep. James made two calls the first to a Real Estate Agent, the second to the number on the card he had been handed at the funeral. I don’t give a damn about my families pride it has only led us to ruin if I have to destroy it to save my family so be it.

Greater Olympus is always looking for more dastardly democracies, maniacal monarchies, contemptible commies, and glorious failed states of all sizes to join our group!

Abutu
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Abutu » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:20 pm

As her employer predicted, she saw Mr. Fitzpatrick's number ring on the burner she acquired for this specific measure. She was surprised at his change of heart, considering his rather rude response to her initial advance. He must have changed his mind after seeing what was truly at stake for him. She looked at the number on screen one last time then accepted the call.

“Alright I’m interested in the deal, but before I meet you again, I have some questions”

“Mr. Fitzpatrick, I am glad that you have agreed to our proposal, however I must limit the questions in case you back out this deal and for when we brief you in person later about the full business model for the operation and your role in it”

“Fair enough, first, I want to know how many other investing partners we are dealing with”

“I can't provide you the numerical answer Mr. Fitzpatrick, but know that you will be a key investor in establishing the logistical operation, but you will be working with a few other associates at certain points during this time.”

“Will one of these associates ever be your boss?”

“Mr. Fitzpatrick, my employer will be meeting with you when you come to Abutu in the coming months”

“Why would I ever go to Abutu, last time I checked, it's illegal for people from Winst”

“You will be provided all the necessary credentials to get passed Kansoso International Airport, and you will be coming because you will be delivering the investments by cash, so as to minimize our digital footprint.”

“How do I know you aren’t just going to rob me and then throw my body down the crag.”

“We need a legitimate face for our operation, and it would take far too much time to just create one, time we don’t have. In fact, this conversation will be far better in person as we brief you on the proposed business operation later today. A car will be at the manor shortly to pick you up. Do not let anyone know where you are going and do not do anything to alert the suspicion of your significant other or family. Have a pleasant day Mr. Fitzpatrick.

She looked at the phone as it said call ended on the interface, looked out her hotel’s window to the skyline of Silvus, then threw the phone over the balcony deck. Mr. Fitzpatrick would be at the office shortly and she needed to finalize her preparations for the presentation.

Winst
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Winst » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:44 pm

James looked out the window of the car as he made his trip from the Fitzpatrick Manor to Silvus. It was only an hour-long trip from the Manor, which was situated between Silvus and Iré. The warm countryside was filled with pastures and small farmhouses, along with the occasional Vineyard. 400 years ago the land had been owned by the Fitzpatrick family. The manor sat on top of a hill could be seen throughout the area.

Unfortunately for James, one of his ancestors read some enlightened texts and help kick start the revolution. Not because of the revolution itself, the Fitzpatrick’s gained far more than what they lost, it was his giving away of territory to his serfs that bothered James. Other houses had planned better offering the land in return for clientage. Instead, the families here were now part of a large agricultural family now either directly or through clientage. The manor was simply an expensive house with no relation to the surrounding land.

The only vestige of the Fitzpatrick’s past glory was the small town of Talb named after another one of his ancestors. James had spent many years of his youth tormenting the small town of Talb along with other boys in the village, during their summers away from their boarding schools. The small town had survived more or less intact through the shift away from manufacturing a fate many small villages had not been spared from. The memory brought back the bitter taste of Carnagie into his mind. As he passed by the bakery they used to steal sweets from, although unknown to them at the time, their thievery was always covered by the nanny the second they had run out of sight. Now the sight of the bakery made his blood boil.

Passing out of the town the car headed for Silvus along the nearest Courant, Courant IV or “C4” the major traffic vein between Ville de Fleur and Silvus. Sunk into the ground the highway consisted of a center of 4 lanes of Rail, three lanes for cars on either side and finally another set of tracks for commercial traffic. James would usually take the Train back to Silvus, as it was a more comfortable trip, but the new maglev line was being installed above the rails and was out of commission until next year. The Populos’ tradeoff for the breakdown in service was the first year of operation would be free.

The Courant was a boring drive. Cement walls prevented seeing much of the view of surrounding scenery. A few towns had put local artwork on the overpasses or on the sides, but other than that the only thing to help pass the time was the occasional freight train. As they approached Silvus, however, the scenery began to change. The Courant began to fracture as different lines needed to go to different areas of the city. A web of different routes connected each other as the C1, 4, and 5 intersected. At the wrong time of day the “Pinch”, as it was known colloquially, could wreak havoc on your schedule. It was the poster child of bad management and under constant attack by Paige’s Public Transportation Plan.

Silvus itself was divided into 9 Districts. One for each of the Eight Lords of the Realm plus the King. Only 5 of the districts were still controlled by noble houses. The surrounding houses and business in the districts had sworn clientage to the major family. The other 5 general districts, consisted of the noble houses which had sided with the King in the revolution. In most cases, the nobles were killed and the land was taken “for the people”. Nowadays they consisted of independent nobles like the Fitzpatrick’s and the general population.

For the most part, the Noble Districts were far more lavish as a sense of rivalry had caused the districts to compete with each other. The General Districts attempted to keep up but were nowhere near the same level.

The car he assumed was heading to Masters as it was the international district and along the waterfront. As the car entered the periphery of town James noticed one of the many tent towns surrounding Winst. He let out a muttering of disgust before it passed from view.

Abutu
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Abutu » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:15 pm

The warehouse her employer owned on the Silvus waterfront was nothing special, on the exterior, it matched the surroundings, grey and uninspiring with mostly cement walls and a few window panes here and there. Inside however was much nicer. There was the lobby and common space with hardwood floors, red carpet, an aesthetically pleasing fountain in the center. Behind the lobby was some standard office spaces filled with fellow employees mainly accountants, logisticians and customs specialist. On the right of the center cubicles was the conference room where she would be briefing Mr. Fitzpatrick shortly.

She felt a buzz on her watch pager- a notification from the outside security guard that Mr. Fitzpatrick had just arrived. Putting on her black blazer, she proceeded outdoors.

“Mr. Fitzpatrick, I am pleased that you have accepted the offer, you will not regret it”

“Well, I am broke and desperate so its not like I have many other options”

“I see, well if you would follow me to the conference room so that the presentation may begin”

The pair exchanging brief small talk about Silvus as well as her providing him a brief tour of the building till their arrival in the conference room.

“This almost looks like a legitimate business, you are hard at work evading Winstonian taxes”

“Thank you Mr. Fitzpatrick, but no they are not evading taxes but rather just making entries and working on financing for now”

“I see, well lets get this started”, he plops down on a chair in a relaxing position

She picks up the laser pointer and began

“Recently a geological survey by my employer in southernmost provincial mountains has revealed a massive supply of diamonds and other precious gemstones. This mine if properly exploited would be the largest supplier of commercial grade diamonds and gemstones in the world. However we need your financial resources to begin the operation and develop the supply chain to get these diamonds on the market. The five big challenges we will face and require your business acumen to solve will be
1. Getting the harvesting equipment
2. Developing a refining plant in a country of your choice - preferably a nation where Winst has positive foreign relations
3. Creating a faux supply chain so as to throw off any authorities we might encounter
4. Creating the legitimate company distributor/ the face of the operation - preferably something attached to your name alone
5. A way to liquidly transfer investment funds and operate in Abutu

While most of these sound mundane, the Abutan market makes some of these much more challenging however i can assure you that if we are successful, the rewards will be well worth it. Now Mr. Fitzpatrick, as a connected Winstonian corporate, you will need to handle many of these things in the field. I will remain here and provide support and achieve anything you require here in Winst. For the future, you will either be working with a business operative we have in Abutu or my employer directly if needed.”

She approaches him and hands him the business card with the operatives cell number and the pager number for her employer.

“ Do you have any questions”

Return to International Incidents