NATION

PASSWORD

Hot Lead and Cold Hearts Worldbuilding and Interest Thread

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Hot Lead and Cold Hearts Worldbuilding and Interest Thread

Postby Shadowwell » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:58 pm

Hot Lead and Cold Hearts Worldbuilding Thread

(read in a film noir voice if you would) The year is 1921 and things are heating up in the bustling metropolis of Cross Timber, Pennsylvania. The name suggests a picturesque town possibly something found on a Hallmark card, the truth is far from it. Beneath the picturesque appearance of this lovely city lays a dark underbelly, which has only gotten larger with the Prohibition. Many of the city’s resident that had to leave due to the draft and other reasons have returned to the city recently. Several Private investigators have made offices and hired locals. Many of the returnees to Cross Timber have joined them for the steady job, and work it can bring. In the years following WW I, many immigrants from all over have come to the US, some of a less savory nature than others.

Cross Timber is little different from most Cities in the US, especially now with the increase in its residents since the end of WW 1, this comparison is only skin deep. As the newer businesses have established themselves, the city has prospered and grown, but it has also started to rot. Not many can see this, most are too enchanted by the city and its pleasures to notice. Some have however, the Police of the CTPD have noticed and have long been combating this encroachment on their fair city. the others to notice are those who live a life on the edge, between light and darkness, among them the Private Eye's of the city.

Welcome to Hot Lead and Cold Hearts interest and world-building thread. This is a Film noir style rp set in the fictional town of Cross Timber, Pennsylvania in 1921. I do have most of the things figured out, but I would like help coming up with lore relevant spots such as the clubs and PI offices, maybe a general outline of the city.
✒ I'm a Proud Member of VARSITY ROW! Come check us out! ✒

I'M A MEMBER OF THOUGHT CAFE
WE'RE THE AWESOMEST, COME CHECK US OUT

When i am not being your average Drunk at the Pub, i am the Founder and Headmaster of The Academy. On my off time i am also a Member of the Mechanics Guild. Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Things to be Done

Things to do

There are a few things that need to be done before the rp can be considered even remotely ready.

-Places of interest (PI offices, speakeasies, clubs, etc.)

-Char Apps- i am working on this.

-Other things to be added
Last edited by Shadowwell on Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

When i am not being your average Drunk at the Pub, i am the Founder and Headmaster of The Academy. On my off time i am also a Member of the Mechanics Guild. Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Places of note and interest

Clubs:

PI Offices:

Public Offices: Basically the places where public officials roam.
Last edited by Shadowwell on Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Lore and History (with other stuff)

Postby Shadowwell » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:59 pm

Cross Timber, Pennsylvania. At it's founding, the city was little more than a major crossing point into Canada when it was founded in 1803. Before, it was a bustling market for the logging industry but now, it's 1921 and things have changed. The years following World War 1 have changed the town greatly, while once it was a reasonably mid -sized city along the Canadian border it has become so much more than that. They have gotten many migrants coming through the Canadian and American waterways that run near the City. They have also gotten a lot of business, but some of those businessmen have turned to crime with the Prohibition.

Sadly noir-speak is rather scarce nowadays, thus I am including a couple links below in case you want to use any of the terms for your characters conversations.
http://iantregillis.com/words/a-hardboi ... than-night
https://www.miskatonic.org/slang.html
Last edited by Shadowwell on Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lorduex
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Lorduex » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:17 pm

Yes!
Hi, I'm Albertae. Some of you may know Albertae and participated in one of my Fantasy Medieval RPs or maybe I've RPed in the same RP as you.

Add 4467 to my post count.

Kinky Bastards
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kinky Bastards » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:35 am

Reporting for duty!

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:41 am

Should i add apps for the clubs and the like or just let everyone type out blurbs about them if they have ideas?

Vulkata II
Minister

Founded: Jun 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:05 am

Blurbs.

And tags
It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -George Patton

He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future. -Adolf Hitler

Part of the American dream is to live long and die young. Only those Americans who are willing to die for their country are fit to live. -General MacArthur
The player is currently:Clear|Busy
Great Tawil wrote:The thing is I hate fighting. I just wanna draw flags and make friends

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:24 am

info guidelines

Any info or suggested places of interest must contain a few things. People of note in the place, ie employees or the like, as well as a brief history of the place and the owner/operator. As much detail as possible without getting monotonous would be preferred.

The Irish County of the Beare-Mor
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Irish County of the Beare-Mor » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:41 am

I'll post here. I'll try to help when I can with the worldbuilding,
Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

"Want more comedy in your RP? Join "The Infinites!", the lamest group of D-level heroes who are out to save the day. Still open and still seeking players. OOC and IC

Zhaas123
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Zhaas123 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:43 am

Tag. I might have a few ideas kicking around later.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:54 am

Any help will be appreciated, and i will credit you, depending, whether you are in the actual rp or not.

Though i probably dont have to say this try to keep any added places or lore fitting for the time period, some leeway will be allowed of course.

Vulkata II
Minister

Founded: Jun 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:24 am

Shadowwell wrote:Any help will be appreciated, and i will credit you, depending, whether you are in the actual rp or not.

Though i probably dont have to say this try to keep any added places or lore fitting for the time period, some leeway will be allowed of course.

Should we have actual events like the Valentine's massacre or can it be mentioned or are we in another universe
It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -George Patton

He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future. -Adolf Hitler

Part of the American dream is to live long and die young. Only those Americans who are willing to die for their country are fit to live. -General MacArthur
The player is currently:Clear|Busy
Great Tawil wrote:The thing is I hate fighting. I just wanna draw flags and make friends

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:11 am

That was in 29 8 ish years after the rps start.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:09 am

I propose getting an IC started when you have at least one PI Office and one Club- the plot can be built around the PI, and the Club and serve as a launch pad for the rest of the RP.

Timber Detective Agency
The Timber Detective Agency, known as TED, was established by retired Sergeant Lester Norseman of the Chicago PD, and his Canadian Associate Alphonse Hardy who served at the Battle of Arras. Both men met at a Veterans Event, and found common ground. Between Lester's legal knowledge, and Alphonse's military history the Timber Detective Agency has managed to complete a number of cases around Timber Cross, and has found the need for additional hands to handle it's influx of clients. TED isn't known for being discrete (thanks to Alphonse), and this reputation for indiscretion is the only black mark on their record. Thus they find the majority of their clients being the more upright of Cross Timber's residents.
Last edited by Harbertia on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

Kinky Bastards
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kinky Bastards » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:29 am

Harbertia wrote:I propose getting an IC started when you have at least one PI Office and one Club- the plot can be built around the PI, and the Club and serve as a launch pad for the rest of the RP.

Timber Detective Agency
The Timber Detective Agency, known as TED, was established by retired Sergeant Lester Norseman of the Chicago PD, and his Canadian Associate Alphonse Hardy who served at the Battle of Arras. Both men met at a Veterans Event, and found common ground. Between Lester's legal knowledge, and Alphonse's military history the Timber Detective Agency has managed to complete a number of cases around Timber Cross, and has found the need for additional hands to handle it's influx of clients. TED isn't known for being discrete (thanks to Alphonse), and this reputation for indiscretion is the only black mark on their record. Thus they find the majority of their clients being the more upright of Cross Timber's residents.

I actually had an idea for a PI who was a former German sergeant who immigrated to America after the war (yeah, I scrapped my super-corrupt PI idea), so this fits perfectly I think, old veterans joining together to fight crime.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:33 am

Kinky Bastards wrote:
Harbertia wrote:I propose getting an IC started when you have at least one PI Office and one Club- the plot can be built around the PI, and the Club and serve as a launch pad for the rest of the RP.

Timber Detective Agency

I actually had an idea for a PI who was a former German sergeant who immigrated to America after the war (yeah, I scrapped my super-corrupt PI idea), so this fits perfectly I think, old veterans joining together to fight crime.

This is great news, and I am excited by the prospect of working with you on this. I know we'll get a lot done, and can get more character building done when a character sheet is established. I'm pleased that you've scrapped the corrupt aspect of your character, and am interested in how he'll be in the RP.
Last edited by Harbertia on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Kinky Bastards
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kinky Bastards » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:42 am

Harbertia wrote:
Kinky Bastards wrote:I actually had an idea for a PI who was a former German sergeant who immigrated to America after the war (yeah, I scrapped my super-corrupt PI idea), so this fits perfectly I think, old veterans joining together to fight crime.

This is great news, and I am excited by the prospect of working with you on this. I know we'll get a lot done, and can get more character building done when a character sheet is established. I'm pleased that you've scrapped the corrupt aspect of your character, and am interested in how he'll be in the RP.

Thanks! I'm a little tight now, so I'll be short. I haven't figured him out completely, but will probably base him a least a little on Philip Kerr's novel character Bernhard "Bernie" Günther, a German PI in the Weimar Republic and Nazi Germany (later also in Argentina, Cuba, and the US, but I haven't read those yet).

Looking forward to work with you too.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:49 am

Kinky Bastards wrote:
Harbertia wrote:

Thanks! I'm a little tight now, so I'll be short. I haven't figured him out completely, but will probably base him a least a little on Philip Kerr's novel character Bernhard "Bernie" Günther, a German PI in the Weimar Republic and Nazi Germany (later also in Argentina, Cuba, and the US, but I haven't read those yet).

I've have taken the liberty to look into the character, and find my interest has grown. My inspiration is The Adventures of Phillip Marlowe, a Radio Drama I've come to enjoy. A bit of his character can be found in both Lester, and Alphonse along with elements from the two main characters of the TV show Dragnet.
Tomorrow is made today.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:03 pm

Well i want atleast one major-ish PI office and two clubs one will be criminally connected the other will have an owner who is an associate of several of the citys PIs.

I will add more later.

Kinky Bastards
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kinky Bastards » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:59 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Kinky Bastards wrote:Thanks! I'm a little tight now, so I'll be short. I haven't figured him out completely, but will probably base him a least a little on Philip Kerr's novel character Bernhard "Bernie" Günther, a German PI in the Weimar Republic and Nazi Germany (later also in Argentina, Cuba, and the US, but I haven't read those yet).

I've have taken the liberty to look into the character, and find my interest has grown. My inspiration is The Adventures of Phillip Marlowe, a Radio Drama I've come to enjoy. A bit of his character can be found in both Lester, and Alphonse along with elements from the two main characters of the TV show Dragnet.

I've heard good things about Marlow but I haven't checked him out, so I appreciate your link. :)

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:11 pm

Timber Detective Agency

Looks good Harb. Any more you can tell me about Lester and Alphonse.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:04 pm

So i have a few club ideas, they can be tweaked to fit of course.

Frank's: Fine dining and entertainment, owned by Frank Bianchini, who recently moved here from New York. This is one of the more reputable clubs/establishments among the new ones that have popped up.

The Green Mill: This is one of the oldest places in Cros Timber, the building originally housed one of the first mills in Cross Timber, but was renovated near the turn of the century. Until recently it had been owned by one of the oldest families in Cross Timber, the Blackwood family who emigrated over from Britain. unfoprtunately during the Great War their only son died and thus they were forced to sell it to some less reputable indiviuals. They cater to any and all and are widely known in certain circles to be able to get whatever you want or need for a price.

The Wren: a unique club, open only to the wealthiest members of Cross Timber. Though it largely has a small clientele, they do host parties and events that let the general populace in, a charity they call it, give the less fortunate a taste of what they couldnt hope to obtain otherwise. This is a relatively young club, It was only established just before the Great War, but has a great reputation among the community.

opinions and comments, also, none of these three are entirely on the up and up, but can yuo guess which is the worst? lol

Kinky Bastards
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kinky Bastards » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:54 am

Shadowwell wrote:So i have a few club ideas, they can be tweaked to fit of course.

Frank's: Fine dining and entertainment, owned by Frank Bianchini, who recently moved here from New York. This is one of the more reputable clubs/establishments among the new ones that have popped up.

The Green Mill: This is one of the oldest places in Cros Timber, the building originally housed one of the first mills in Cross Timber, but was renovated near the turn of the century. Until recently it had been owned by one of the oldest families in Cross Timber, the Blackwood family who emigrated over from Britain. unfoprtunately during the Great War their only son died and thus they were forced to sell it to some less reputable indiviuals. They cater to any and all and are widely known in certain circles to be able to get whatever you want or need for a price.

The Wren: a unique club, open only to the wealthiest members of Cross Timber. Though it largely has a small clientele, they do host parties and events that let the general populace in, a charity they call it, give the less fortunate a taste of what they couldnt hope to obtain otherwise. This is a relatively young club, It was only established just before the Great War, but has a great reputation among the community.

opinions and comments, also, none of these three are entirely on the up and up, but can yuo guess which is the worst? lol

Sounds good to me. I can already see one of the more respectable crime bosses sit in either of the two finer establishments and eat, when the detectives arrive and reveal him, and/or makes a scene.

Lorduex
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Lorduex » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:56 am

Shadowwell wrote:So i have a few club ideas, they can be tweaked to fit of course.

Ooh! Perfect. You have one club for each level. Criminals, semi-professional criminals, crime bosses who make money from the sidelines.
Hi, I'm Albertae. Some of you may know Albertae and participated in one of my Fantasy Medieval RPs or maybe I've RPed in the same RP as you.

Add 4467 to my post count.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse