NATION

PASSWORD

We are going to Mars

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ochea
Spokesperson

Founded: May 26, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ochea » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:27 pm

Imperial Union of America wrote:Okay, technically the moon is not a planet. But what I'm trying to say is that it will be the first time the white race has ever landed on a celestial body other than earth.

No need to prod me with technicalities -- I'm not a scientist.

Why are you so racist?

By the way, you're wrong again. The first time humans landed on a celestial body was 1969 on the moon. The moon is a celestial body, but not a planet.
Last edited by Ochea on Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
——|★|—— World Assembly Delegate of Nesapo ——|★|——
International News: Pres. Storm continues trade embargo against Corumon | Corumon's economy continues to fail as the country tries to become communist
"People in power want to stay in power. People in control want to maintain control." - President Ryan Storm

Jordkloden
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 18, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jordkloden » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:27 pm

Jordkloden wrote:
Gauthier wrote:
Will it be something in the neighborhood of "FUCK YOU CLARKE, FUCK YOU"?

They said, "surprising activity." Not aliens, but deffo interesting.

http://phys.org/news/2016-09-nasa-reveal-jupiter-moon-europa.html
I’m a communist. Not much else to say.

UED
Senator

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby UED » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:29 pm

Imperial Union of America wrote:http://futurism.com/its-official-were-going-to-mars/

I think this wonderful. We haven't been to a new planet since 1969. This is a brave new step and will allow the greatest country on earth to lead once again.

Stephen hawking once said that man's future -- if we are to continue to exist as a species -- lay in space travel and colonization. I agree.

Let's plant the flag on Martian soil and claim the red planet for the United States and the White Race.

Do you think we'll eventually colonize the red planet? Do you think this will make America an enthusiastic forward looking nation? Will we all gather to watch on TV as the White Race takes another giant leap?

Why are we even taking this seriously?

I would like to point out that anyone who thinks that the moon is a planet obviously doesn't know what s/he is talking about. I don't know how you expect us to take this seriously if you don't know what the moon is. The average person knows more about celestial bodies than you do.

And then there is that whole white race thing but you already lost credibility regarding the moon.
Political and religious views don't define whether you are a good or bad person, unless you want to actively hurt everyone who doesn't believe what you say.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:30 pm

Jordkloden wrote:
Jordkloden wrote:They said, "surprising activity." Not aliens, but deffo interesting.

http://phys.org/news/2016-09-nasa-reveal-jupiter-moon-europa.html

If we're lucky it'll just be a shitload of microbes.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Imperial Union of America
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Union of America » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:39 pm

UED wrote:
Imperial Union of America wrote:http://futurism.com/its-official-were-going-to-mars/

I think this wonderful. We haven't been to a new planet since 1969. This is a brave new step and will allow the greatest country on earth to lead once again.

Stephen hawking once said that man's future -- if we are to continue to exist as a species -- lay in space travel and colonization. I agree.

Let's plant the flag on Martian soil and claim the red planet for the United States and the White Race.

Do you think we'll eventually colonize the red planet? Do you think this will make America an enthusiastic forward looking nation? Will we all gather to watch on TV as the White Race takes another giant leap?

Why are we even taking this seriously?

I would like to point out that anyone who thinks that the moon is a planet obviously doesn't know what s/he is talking about. I don't know how you expect us to take this seriously if you don't know what the moon is. The average person knows more about celestial bodies than you do.

And then there is that whole white race thing but you already lost credibility regarding the moon.

Never claimed to be any sort of expert or enthusiast regarding space. I wouldn't say my knowledge is less than average. I did correct myself that it was not a planet - but that doesn't matter.

If you don't want to take this thread seriously, I'm not forcing you to participate.
Last edited by Imperial Union of America on Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a Fascist and i believe the constitution should be suspended. All enemies of the state should be rounded up and permanently deported.

"But perhaps I am partial to the complexion of my Country, for such kind of partiality is natural to Mankind." - Benjamin Franklin

Freefall11111
Negotiator

Founded: May 31, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Freefall11111 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:08 pm

Imperial Union of America wrote:Okay, technically the moon is not a planet. But what I'm trying to say is that it will be the first time the white race has ever landed on a celestial body other than earth.

The Moon is a celestial body.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:22 pm

Congress increased the NASA budget from $19.3 billion (this year) to $19.5 billion (next year), put Mars on the agenda, and we're cheering for WHAT exactly? That money is being ripped out of NASA's science programs for an all-muscle-and-no-brain dickwave at Mars that won't even happen ..?

Is there any serious possibility that the anti-science anti-spending morons of the House will stump up the starting cost of $100 billion, let alone the inevitable cost over-runs up to half a trillion?

Nothing to see here.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Bakery Hill
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakery Hill » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:23 pm

Speak for yourself mate I'm staying here.
Founder of the Committee for Proletarian Morality - Winner of Best Communist Award 2018 - Godfather of NSG Syndicalism

Bakery Hill
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakery Hill » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:26 pm

This is true. NASA has ever used Black, Asian and Latino astronauts during the moon landings, due to Cultural Marxism.
Founder of the Committee for Proletarian Morality - Winner of Best Communist Award 2018 - Godfather of NSG Syndicalism

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:27 pm

I think this wonderful. We haven't been to a new celestial body since 1969 December 1972. This is a brave new step and will allow the greatest country on earth to lead once again.

Fixed. Apollo 17 was the last time humans walked on the moon.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:28 pm

Ailiailia wrote:

Congress increased the NASA budget from $19.3 billion (this year) to $19.5 billion (next year), put Mars on the agenda, and we're cheering for WHAT exactly? That money is being ripped out of NASA's science programs for an all-muscle-and-no-brain dickwave at Mars that won't even happen ..?

How much money did they actually allocate for this red elephant? The OP's story is vague, and I couldn't quickly find a summary of the new budget.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:55 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:

How much money did they actually allocate for this red elephant? The OP's story is vague, and I couldn't quickly find a summary of the new budget.

Different source doesn't even mention Mars, and it seems the budget increase is even less (ie, a budget cut considering inflation).

Scant mention here

Here it says Space Launch System and Orion capsule are part of a Mars program. I'm pretty sure they have other purposes though. They're about $3 billion in 2017, and the House version is similar.

So $3 billion ..?

Neither the House nor Senate committees killed the Europa mission, so I suppose that's good.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:04 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:How much money did they actually allocate for this red elephant? The OP's story is vague, and I couldn't quickly find a summary of the new budget.

Different source doesn't even mention Mars, and it seems the budget increase is even less (ie, a budget cut considering inflation).

Scant mention here

Here it says Space Launch System and Orion capsule are part of a Mars program. I'm pretty sure they have other purposes though. They're about $3 billion in 2017, and the House version is similar.

So $3 billion ..?

Neither the House nor Senate committees killed the Europa mission, so I suppose that's good.

Yay!

This PDF gives NASA's 2016 budget estimate for "Exploration Systems Development", which seems to mean SLS and Orion, as $2.8B. So, this bill adds $200M and tells them to go to Mars. Eventually. Whee?

It wouldn't surprise me if a couple of science missions got killed, though, even though those are generating all of NASA's good PR these days.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:08 pm

NASA will probably not be the one go to Mars. NASA cannot even put a man into space anymore. It is a pathetic politicized and overly risk adverse shadow of what it used to be.
Everytime a program runs into a problem any more the cancel the whole thing.

Private companies or China will probably beat NASA by decades.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:15 pm

Kingdom of Kong wrote:

This is quite evident.

*** Warned for flamebait. ***
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Dahon
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dahon » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:25 pm

Innovations in terraforming technology can't come fast enough -- the direst predictions on the speed of climate change have all of us earthlings dying off by 2030.

On to Mars -- a new Earth for all Earth!
Last edited by Dahon on Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Authoritarianism kills all. Never forget that.

-5.5/-7.44

al-Ibramiyah (inactive; under research)
Moscareinas (inactive)
Trumpisslavia (inactive)
Dahon the Alternative (inactive; under research)
Our Heavenly Dwarf (Forum 7)

The Great Devourer of All
Minister

Founded: Dec 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Devourer of All » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:29 pm

Dahon wrote:Innovations in terraforming technology can't come fast enough -- the direst predictions on the speed of climate change have all of us earthlings dying off by 2030.

On to Mars, for a new beginning!

Links, please. National Geographic seems to think that the seas will only rise five feet or so in this century, and the change in temperatures accompanying such a rate of climate change probably wouldn't cause extinction-level events for at least a few hundred years.

However, I most certainly agree that climate change is a big problem.
Last edited by the Devourer 9.98 billion years ago

Pro: Jellyfish

Anti: Heretics

Yymea wrote:We would definitely be scared of what is probably the most scary nation on NS :p

Multiversal Venn-Copard wrote:Actually fairly threatening by our standards. And this time we really mean "threatening". As in, "we'll actually need to escalate significantly to match their fleets."

Valkalan wrote:10/10 Profoundly evil. Some nations conqueror others for wealth and prestige, but the Devourer consumes civilization like a cancer consuming an unfortunate host.

The Speaker wrote:Intemperate in the sea from the roof, and leg All night, and he knows lots of reads from the unseen good old man of the mountain-DESTRUCTION

Roskian Federation
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Roskian Federation » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:35 pm

Imperial Union of America wrote:Let's plant the flag on Martian soil and claim the red planet for the United States and the White Race.

63% of the United States is white, which isn't evena 2/3rds majority.

Please cut the racist bullshit. Fuck going to mars if we are just gonna be racist as shit - that's the first thing to get us fucked if we do encounter another species.
RIP ROSKI, UNJUSTLY DELETED on 12 JULY 2016 +15,601 posts

RSS Madenska set to fully activate on October 15th
Yugoslovenski and Maldania reaffirm the Central States Alliance

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:46 pm

Roskian Federation wrote:
Imperial Union of America wrote:Let's plant the flag on Martian soil and claim the red planet for the United States and the White Race.

Please cut the racist bullshit. Fuck going to mars if we are just gonna be racist as shit - that's the first thing to get us fucked if we do encounter another species.

Actually 77% is white,
"Race/Ethnicity (2015 estimates)[193]
By race:[193]
White 77.1%
Black 13.3%
Asian 5.6%
Two or More Races 2.6%
American Indian and Alaska Native 1.2%
Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander 0.2%
By ethnicity:[193]
Hispanic/Latino (of any race) 17.6%
Non-Hispanic/Latino (of any race) 82.4%"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States

But yeah, racism has no place in discussions about space. Nobody will be claiming anything in the name of the "white race" which is a lose concept that is not a legal entity and thus cannot claim things.
Last edited by Novus America on Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:54 pm

I'd like to see asteroid colonization. There could be platinum mining.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:58 pm

Pope Joan wrote:I'd like to see asteroid colonization. There could be platinum mining.

Paying two cents for a kilo of platinum does sound like a nice change of pace, yes.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:01 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:I'd like to see asteroid colonization. There could be platinum mining.

Paying two cents for a kilo of platinum does sound like a nice change of pace, yes.

It would lose its value in jewelry. It's main value in jewelry is from its rarity.

Though it would make it more available for industrial uses. Kind of funny the idea of platinum being treated like lead or iron.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Imperial Union of America
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Union of America » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:02 pm

Novus America wrote:
Roskian Federation wrote:

Actually 77% is white,
"Race/Ethnicity (2015 estimates)[193]
By race:[193]
White 77.1%
Black 13.3%
Asian 5.6%
Two or More Races 2.6%
American Indian and Alaska Native 1.2%
Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander 0.2%
By ethnicity:[193]
Hispanic/Latino (of any race) 17.6%
Non-Hispanic/Latino (of any race) 82.4%"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States

But yeah, racism has no place in discussions about space. Nobody will be claiming anything in the name of the "white race" which is a lose concept that is not a legal entity and thus cannot claim things.

I believe that makes us more than a 3/4ths majority.
I'm a Fascist and i believe the constitution should be suspended. All enemies of the state should be rounded up and permanently deported.

"But perhaps I am partial to the complexion of my Country, for such kind of partiality is natural to Mankind." - Benjamin Franklin

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:08 pm

Novus America wrote:
Senkaku wrote:Paying two cents for a kilo of platinum does sound like a nice change of pace, yes.

It would lose its value in jewelry. It's main value in jewelry is from its rarity.

Though it would make it more available for industrial uses. Kind of funny the idea of platinum being treated like lead or iron.

the industrial demand for platinum is increasing. It is one major incentive for Elon Musk et al in their plans for space exploitation.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:08 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:

Scant mention here

So $3 billion ..?

Yay!

This PDF gives NASA's 2016 budget estimate for "Exploration Systems Development", which seems to mean SLS and Orion, as $2.8B. So, this bill adds $200M and tells them to go to Mars. Eventually. Whee?

It wouldn't surprise me if a couple of science missions got killed, though, even though those are generating all of NASA's good PR these days.

Adding "Space Launch System" to my search for "2017 NASA budget", found me this:
http://www.universetoday.com/130996/approval-nasa-authorization-bill/ which has a link to the bill.

The bill, as amended
SEC. 412. Goals and objectives.
Section 202(b) of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010 (42 U.S.C. 18312(b)) is amended—
(3) by adding at the end the following:

“(5) to achieve human exploration of Mars, including the establishment of a capability to extend human presence, including potential human habitation, on the surface of Mars.”.

SEC. 413. Vision for space exploration.

Section 20302 of title 51, United States Code, is amended—

(1) in subsection (a), by inserting “in cis-lunar space or” after “sustained human presence”; and

(2) by amending subsection (b) to read as follows:

“(b) Future exploration of Mars.—The Administrator shall manage human space flight programs, including the Space Launch System and Orion, to enable humans to explore Mars and other destinations by defining a series of sustainable steps and conducting mission planning, research, and technology development on a timetable that is technically and fiscally possible, consistent with section 70504.”.

Also from the bill, but boxed instead of quoted because I've put the NASA requests from your source in:

There are authorized to be appropriated to NASA for fiscal year 2017, $19,508,000,000, as follows:

(1) For Exploration, $4,532,000,000. (NASA requested $4,482.2 million)

... includes Exploration System Development (SLS and Orion) $2,895.7 million)

(2) For Space Operations, $4,950,700,000. (NASA requested $4,191.2 million)

(3) For Science, $5,395,000,000. (NASA requested $5,367.9 million)

(4) For Aeronautics, $601,000,000. (NASA requested $580.0 million)

(5) For Space Technology, $686,500,000. (NASA requested $735.7 million)

(6) For Education, $108,000,000. (NASA requested $90.2 million)

(7) For Safety, Security, and Mission Services, $2,796,700,000. (NASA requested $2,885.7 million)

(8) For Construction and Environmental Compliance and Restoration, $400,000,000. (NASA requested $436.1)

(9) For Inspector General, $38,100,000. (NASA requested $38.0 million)

Yeah, so a $49.8 million increase, presumably all to Exploration System Development ... but maybe a bit more if "Commercial Spaceflight" in the same category was cut.
"Exploration Research and Development" which makes up the rest of the category ($401.7 million) seems relevant to Mars, so it makes no difference if that was cut in favor of ESD.
There's other spending (advanced space suit and other things mentioned in your source) but the specific increases for those aren't in the bill ... maybe the House bill but I haven't checked that.

The Daily Fail, like the OP's hysterical source, is reporting this as "$19 billion for a mission to Mars" which it so isn't.

Not entirely relevant, but it's got Bill Nye and the first line suggests there might be something else to look forward to on Monday, besides a geriatric donnybrook in the evening. ;)

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General