NATION

PASSWORD

Ashes Of Aethion Worldbuilding and Brainstorming

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

which OOC ETA

As soon as possible ( within a week)
33%
When the wb is all done.
50%
Either
No votes
Whatever.
17%

Total votes : 6

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Ashes Of Aethion Worldbuilding and Brainstorming

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:36 am

Ashes of Aethion

Finished premise to go here

Tabletop RPGs were popular long before Video games became mainstream. While video games are older, they were far less popular in their time than they are now. The most iconic and notable of these TRPG's would have to be Dungeons and Dragons. Since its conception it has gone through many revisions as well as been subject to much controversy, regardless of this it has still had a solid fan and player base. In addition to that it has also inspired many Books as well as Videogames further boosting the already high popularity of the series and to a lesser extent the genre of game. This has and had been true for many years, decades in fact, but that all changed in early 2014.

Hello and welcome to the Ashes of Aethion (Working Name) Worldbuilding and Brainstorming thread. Ashes, will take place in a Fantasy world very unlike our own, there is swords and sorcery, as well as monsters and other fantastical things. This rp will take influences from Dungeons and Dragons one of the first well known Tabletop RPGS. Aside from that this is and will be largely original. by the bare content of the thread, you can probably tell that this is heavily work in Progress, that is why i need the help of you the rpers of P2TM. You will be accredited and acknowledged for your assistance. Due to RL commitments this rp may not be up for a while, but i and hopefully others will still be working on this to refine it so that the rpers participating will have a good worthy experience.

To be added

What needs to be done for the rp will be listed below as well as those who have said they will work on that portion. They will be striked when completed.
-Premise (Me and anyone else who can or will help)
-Picture
-Religions
-Kingdoms/Empires
-Mechanics refining and fine tuning
-Map making and refining (I am making the Map of Estau, but will need help fine tuning it.)
-Bits about magic (I am doing that now)
-Other things to be added and determined.

This is a Fantasy medieval rp, but will take some influences from other periods.
Aethion is the name of the World, while Estau is the name of the Continent the rp will focus on.
Other things to be added
Last edited by Shadowwell on Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 8 times in total.
✒ I'm a Proud Member of VARSITY ROW! Come check us out! ✒

I'M A MEMBER OF THOUGHT CAFE
WE'RE THE AWESOMEST, COME CHECK US OUT

When i am not being your average Drunk at the Pub, i am the Founder and Headmaster of The Academy. On my off time i am also a Member of the Mechanics Guild. Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Rp mechanics

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:36 am

Most of the few mechanics that will be in the rp concern the Creation of Characters.

Classes: In Ashes, there were the four basic starting classes, from classic RPG’s, The Mighty Warrior in armor wielding sword and shield The swift and stealthy Rogue, the soothing Healer, and the Wizard, master of the Arcane. In the beginning many of the players were disgruntled at being so restricted, though this changed with the discovery that your starting class morphed in a sense to suit the character. The factors that determined this were things such as fighting style, magics used, race, and some other things. An Elf Rogue that used Shadow and darkness related magic could become a Shadowdancer, A specialized Rogue that was harder to see and catch than the well-known Assassin class. Whereas a Human would become an Assassin or Shinobi, generally, many classes weren’t set in stone not even by race, most of the time. Many of the classes had certain condtions to be met before they could be used. A DeathKnight would be a Paladin or Cleric that started using dark magic and turned from the ways of light.

Skills: In Ashes there were two main types of Skills, Active and Passive. Active means the skill must be activated, most of these are combat related, Passive on the other hand means they are always active, most are support related, fopr example boosting health regen, or damage, or even reducing damage. Those two Types can then be divided into three subtypes: Class, Race, and General. Class specific skills are specifically for the Class and are ussualy part of Skill-Sets, which are just skills that are meant to go together. Race skills are much the same but usually enhance any notable aspect of the race, such as an Elves speed or accuracy, a Beastmans strength, etc. General skills are skills hat can be learned by any class or race, though class and race specific versions do exist that are of a higher tier so to speak.

Synergy: Some races classes and skills Synergized with each other strengthening the being. A Lich Necromancer for example, was far more powerful than your average lich and your average Necromancer, and their summoned minions or constructs are far more powerful than their normal counterparts. Synergy however comes at a cost while powerful synergised beings often have equally powerful weaknesses.

Stats: There are 6 stats that will be used during character creation. They will affect your characters so choose wisely, but beyond character creation a number will not be assigned to your stats. A stat cannot have higher than 7 during character creation. You get 12 stat points to put anywhere, humans get 13. Every character will start with a base of 3 in each stat, you cannot have less than a 1 as a stat, with few exceptions.

Strength Physical power and damage. Also influences your damage resistance in general.
Intellect Your logical and instinctual reasoning, the higher this is the easier it is to notice things. A high stat in this allows you to fight brain control and mind altering or confusing spells.
Swiftness your speed and agility. Affects how fast you move, and how silent you are when moving as well as how well you can use light weapons.
Intelligence This affects magical power and damage as well as magical resistance. A high stat here would allow you to cast spells faster and easier, as well as to resist some spell effects.
Vitality Your endurance and durability, also effects how easily your character is affected by poisons and the like.

Charm This marks how charming and persuasive your character is. A 1 means if you try to talk someone out of suicide it may encourage them. Whereas a 3 would allow you to charm lesser barmaids or barkeeps to give you a tab. With a 10 you can charm trained people with but a ook and a few words.

Race Stat modifiers: Each race will get bonuses to certain stats as well as negatives. These modifiers arent set in stone as I will allow exceptions, but they must be passed through me first.

Elves: 2 points to go to Intelligence, Charm, and/or Swiftness. -1 in vitality and strength

Humans: No strengths or weaknesses so they get 1 free stat point.

Beastmen:2 points to go to intellect and 1 to one other stat. That other stat will depend on the type of beast man. They get -2 in intelligence and -1 in charm.

Demihumans: Depending they get 2 stats to go to anywhere, but a - 1 to charm and a -1 anywhere else.

Events will simply put be incidents related to the story that will happen. They can range from minor or major, some will be smaller and character specific others will effect all the characters in some way. They will also effect how the cahracter is percieved by NPC's to a point.

While generally i will leave combat and what weapons you have to your discretion and judgment, Major combat and Loot will be different. Against bosses and the like,You the Rp'ers will post with your actions, then i will roll a die, and the result of the roll will determine whether the attack is effective, and a low enough roll might result i a counterattack towards your character.

Major loot will be found on occassion throughout the rp, I will describe the area, and after the chest or loot is found, i will roll and then describe it. It may fit the character that found it, or it may not, or it could be secretly cursed if the roll is low, but powerful nonetheless.
Last edited by Shadowwell on Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:47 am, edited 5 times in total.

When i am not being your average Drunk at the Pub, i am the Founder and Headmaster of The Academy. On my off time i am also a Member of the Mechanics Guild. Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

the Races and Monsters of Aethion (And possibly religions)

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:37 am

There are four common races in Aethion, though there are others than what is listed below.

Humans: The most numerous and mundane of the races, in the Continent of Estau, they are more numerous than anywhere else in Aethion. While generally of average talents in sword and sorcery they do on occasion produce individuals of note. Many of these individuals are noted in myths and legends as being Heroes, Kings, and Conquerors. Humans, while varied in temperament tend to be mostly self centered and egotistical, this is mostly on Estau, as they were isolated for much of their known history. Though since the arrival of the other races, namel Elves and Beastmen, this attitude has largely changed, though in many kingdoms the ancient Noble houses, haven’t changed, and take Beastmen and Elf slaves in secret.

Elves: Among the fairest and more beautiful of the races of Aethion, they are also one of the longest lived races. They possess eternal youth as well as immunity to aging and natural diseases. They have much variety amongst their race, like humans but the temperaments of the different types of Elves are very different, some are cruel and malicious others are peaceful and kind. They are known for their magic, and while superior physically to the average human, they are on the physically weaker side of the races of Aethion.

Beastmen: Generally stronger and faster than most of the races of Aethion, they are rather varied. Every Beastman takes a trait from an animal (Due to ancestral inheritance.), this gives every specific type of Beastman certain features, skills, and abilities that are inherent to them. Dog Beastmen have dog ears and tails and are loyal, as well as being stronger and faster than humans. Rabbit beast men are usually peaceful but fight when in danger and are extremely fast and agile. Beastmen in general can’t use magic but they can call upon the spirits to aid them in some way. They are rather proud as a race and are very militant and they revere the strong.

While the vast majority are unable to use magic like the Elves or Humans, and they lack the unique skills and traits most Demihumans have, they have a unique thing of their own. They can call upon spirits usually of the elements, to aid them in battle and elsewhere. The Spirits can give them control over an element to use physically or can use that element to enhance themselves physically. The difference is the first is similar to Enchanted wepons as thy can release blasts of the element and create walls and simple shields, the second is a bit different. Depending upon the element the spirit grants a corresponding physical boost is giving. Wind will boost speed, Earth, durability and defense, Fire will boost raw strength and power, Water, will make it difficult for attacks to connect, Lightning gives a boost to agility, reflexes and speed but is rarer than the others, light give an increased resistance to negative effects as well as diseases and poisons, a Beastmen with this can also speak with Spirits not their own, Darkness, rare as it is gives boosts to stealth and being unseen, this is unique as it allows one to blend with darkness to a point if conditions are met.

Demihumans: Orcs, Goblins, as well as Vampires and Werebeasts are amongthe types of Demihumans. They are considered inferior beings mostly by the Humans and many types of Beastmen. They are often sold as slaves, both for military use, labor and other adult purposes. There is a nation of Demihumans located on the Continent of Estau, but it is secret and not recognized by the majority of the Human kingdoms and the Beastmen sovereignties. They are very different from the other races, as while many are sentient and strong the large majority of the Demihumans aren’t, but can be controlled by those in power. Because of this, many Humans consider them to be little more than monsters.

Dwarves:??? may not be added

I realize that what i have typed out are the most common depictions of the Fantasy races, i will take suggests about what to do to make them unique

Within the world of Aethion there are normal animals, Magical beasts and monsters.

Magical Beasts:These are very similar to monsters, yet are also very different. Magical beasts are normal animals that have ingested stable magic. This makes them unique, or trather made them, as many havent been seen for a long, long time, since the Exodus. They can grow through eating magic and if someone tames one they can feed it their magical energy to make it suit them more. They don't just grow more powerful but also more intelligent, this is what separates them from Monsters. Dragons and other beings are Magical beasts, but are considered monsters due to ignorance. They can also reproduce, whereas monsters cannot.

Monsters:They are very similar to Magical beasts as they were once normal animals or beings that ingested powerful magic, but this magic was unstable and corrupt changing the being forever.
Last edited by Shadowwell on Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Maps, nations and other important things.

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:37 am

Nations and Empires of Estau
Normal Map

(The nations will not be put on the map yet)
Adaica-Elves-Holy Empire of Avalon
The High Empire of Šhal-Morzīnn-Human-Nea Videssos

Magic is a wondrous yet terrible thing, it is capable of healing nearly any wounds but can also destroy things in an instant. Magic can be learned in two ways, either just channeling ones magic power while imagining an effect and producing one after much trial and error, or through Tomes and Spellbooks which usually are in the hands of major powers or well-known magicians or Institutes. Tomes and Spellbooks supply spells, that are basic and well known, they are mostly to just provide a stable foundation until the mage gains enough knowledge and wisdom to make their own spells. Spells in books are more versatile generally than self-made spells but are less powerful per tier than Self-made spells, for the most part.

Types of Magic: There are several types of magic that are commonly seen.
Black magic: Also called the Dark Arts, this type of magic allows one to defy death adn to cause it easily. They can also harness darker corrupted versions of most other types of magic. Curses are also common as well as summoning or creating minions or constructs, and negatively affecting peoples emotions and state of mind. Most religions consider this a form of magic only practiced by those who do evil. This is why there are deep prejudices against those who use this, even if they had no choice.

White Magic: This is also called Holy Magic by many, if one possesses affinity towards light they will most likely be able to practice white magic well enough. They can heal and clear ones state of mind as well as to enhance ones self or provide some protection from certain things. Practitioners of this type of magic are usually pure, and have a graceful atmosphere, this is because when they awaken to this type of magic it cleanses them body and mind. not all users of this magic are good people however, one example is an Emperor of a certain Ancient Empire, that many thought was a child of the gods, as he could cause miracles and never seemed to aged. Sadly this was because he killed innocent people with the Light affinity and absorbed their life force through some means.

Elemental Magic; Like most types of magic besides Alchemy and Enchanting, Elemental magic requires a strong affinity in at least one element. This is because if one does not it will be difficult to use spells beyond the novice level. The elements are: Earth, Wind, Fire, Water, Lightning, Light, and Darkness. There are Variations of the elements that can be attained through high skill and affinity. Some skilled mages with multiple affinities can create new or rare variations.

Nature Magic: Nature magic is rather unique amongst most of the known magics. One does not need affinity for it, but is generally an almost unique magic, it is common, though the degree of ability is varied, it is extremely rare for someone to have good talent with this type of magic. Talented wielders of this magic can harness the elements to some degree, except for light and Darkness, though they can heal and soothe like many Light users. They are the most attuned to the movements of the Dark elements, this leads there to be few sane wielders of this as the darkness around them can change them for the worse. Generally during childhood someone with the talent for this has no affinity with any magic, as there is no known way to detect the ability to use this magic, reliably. Users of this magic most notably have appeared in the Elven race, though a few humans have had this. They are also usually skilled in Alchemy, due to their inherent connection with nature.

Alchemy: This is barely considered a type of magic by most. A user of alchemy can combine various ingredient magical and mundane for an effect. They can create magical potions and items, as opposed to Enchanters that can simply imbue items with a power temporarily. The reason it is barely a type of amgic is because it requires little magical opwer to use, and the effects mostly are barely on par with Acolyte or even Novice Spells. That is only in the hands of non masters of this art, There have been legends of Alchemists that could move mountains and heal people from the brink of death and grant near eternal youth through magical elixirs, but it has been centuries since any of these were even last mentioned by name, now they are but legends with few remembering the truth.

Enchanting: Enchanting while does requires much magical power or affinity like Alchemy is much more respected. This is because it requires astounding skill and control of magical power, while many require outside help either in the form of other mages or monster items with the needed affinity, some are able to control magic to such an extent That they can control the natural elements through specific enchantments and can imbue items with enhancements similar to those that can be granted with White Magic. While not truly powerful as many mages can be, successful and famous ones are often rather influential and well protected.

While these are the most commonly known types there still exist others that are rare or only mentioned in old legends such as Rune magic, which later became the basis for enchanting.

Tiers of Magic: There are 5 levels or tiers of magic, from Novice, beginner spells in the practice of the Magic arts to
Novice: The Beginning level of magic spells, can conjure a slight breeze or a ball of light. Though some people have mastered Novice level spells to the point they can contend with low Journeymen spells.
Acolyte: These spells are more advanced and varied than Novice spells, and are much more difficult as well. Some mages can master novice spells as easily as breathing but can't even begin to use an Acolyte spell.
Journeymen: While average compared to those that can wield Master ranks spells and little more than ants to one that can wield Sovereign level spells, a mage capable of efficiently using this class of spells can be considered a real mage. It is also at this stage that most good Masters let their students leave to experience the world.
Master: The Second most powerful Tier of magic, Users of these can conjure storms and fight to a point against some armies. These are costly spells and can be cast by multiple Magic users or a single rather powerful one. A mage capable of using this could be a major teacher or Headmaster at an Academy or Institute.
Sovereign: The most powerful tier of magic, even a weak Sovereign level spell can erase mountains and large cities from the land. As well as to alter the surrounding environment. Those that can use these level spells can be counted on a persons two hand, and the overall number throughout history probably will not exceed 10,000. Their are some Master Level Spells that can almost reach the Sovereign level but require hundreds if not more of mages and are still costly beyond the sheer manpower. that just shows how powerful a mage must be to use one of these spells well.
How to Cast it: For the most part one casts magic by reciting the spell phrase or chant in their head while imagining the effect. The larger the effect the more magic power is used, no matter the tier of magic, though through mastery one can use different tiers and types of magic more efficiently. One can also just imagine the effect without the chant, though this can backfire on the caster easly as well as having great costs otherwise. Other ways to cast magic include rituals, as well as simply channeling Magic energy into artifacts and relics which act as mediums in the same way the chant does normally.

Affinity: Affinity is one of the few things that is pretty much an absolute. One is born with an affinity to one or at most 3 of the elements, though 1 elf was born with all of them, though they died young due to the conflicting nature of some of the elements. It is rare that one is born with conflicting affinities, they usually don't end up well for the potential mage. There are exceptions however, to all of the above things, one with conflicting affinities can make them work if certain conditions are met and there are a few people who through certain means were able to gain affinities they didnt have.

Magic Power: Magic power or magical energy is something one is born with, not something that is gained. The amount of magic power one has, while not set in stone is mostly determined during training during ones youth, that is why most Magical institutes and Private tutors try to take students between the ages of 7-13 or even younger if they show the talent.

Institutes and Academies: In the world of Aethion there exist places that teach those with the talent for magic to use it. These places exist all across the world, they are places usually separate from the control of the nations, but in Estau it is different. In Estau, there are fewer Academies and Institutes than in the rest of Aethion. Some of the Countries and Nations in Estau do not teach all Affinities in their places of Arcane Learning. Some, such as the Imperium only teach and nurture those with strong Light Affinities.

Magical items and Mediums:
Mediums: Mediums are things, usually magical items of great power, that allow one to channel a great amount of magic easier. Small mediums do exist, usually staff or wands made of special materials, but they aren't that common as they are very expensive.
Magical items: These can be similar to Mediums as usually they are made from magical materials, but often they are simply enchanted items made from materials that while not magical can store or conduct magical energies rather well.
Last edited by Shadowwell on Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Nea Videssos
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nea Videssos » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:15 am

Would demihumans and beastman be related?
I've sometimes seen them overlap in other settings. Bit vague, so I suppose it depends on how you want to interpret the particulars.
Formerly Videssos. Just a femboy-obsessed degenerate. Also interested in history, mythology, fantasy, science fiction, metal and some other stuff.
A little bird told me, "Go, Go! Socialise! Talk to those fine people! And then, KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM! Plunge your knife into their throats when they ain't lookin', and then burn 'em to the ground!"
Well that's silly, isn't it?

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:18 am

Nea Videssos wrote:Would demihumans and beastman be related?
I've sometimes seen them overlap in other settings. Bit vague, so I suppose it depends on how you want to interpret the particulars.

Not exactly, though some types of Demihumans can be confused as Beastmen they are seperte for the most part.

Anything else you want to add so far, Oh Mighty Trapmaker/Master of Traps?
Last edited by Shadowwell on Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nea Videssos
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nea Videssos » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:26 am

Well, I could help with stuff like empires/states and background for them, among other things. Religions would be fairly easy for me to do, too.

Meanwhile, in regards to my idea of a character (when enough of the background stuff and the app is done, obviously) would probably involve a trap knight or a trap catboy (I did recently mention I'd gathered a ton of Felix Argyle pics recently).
Formerly Videssos. Just a femboy-obsessed degenerate. Also interested in history, mythology, fantasy, science fiction, metal and some other stuff.
A little bird told me, "Go, Go! Socialise! Talk to those fine people! And then, KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM! Plunge your knife into their throats when they ain't lookin', and then burn 'em to the ground!"

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:38 am

Anything for empires and states would be useful. Feel free to include geogeaphic land mamrks if you wish. I may make wb appfor such things though.

Kaledoria
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaledoria » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:07 am

The Elves Description is weird: "Among the longest living" implies that they get very old and then die, while "eternal youth" suggests immortality. I would word it in such a way: They can live for a few centuries and spend most of this time in a young adult physical state.

Also I would not throw Goblins, Orcs, Vampires and Lycanthropes into one bag.

A random idea way to far into the detail for this stage: I think Lycanthropy should affect Beastmen in a different way, since their civilized and animalistic soul is one unitary thing: Therefor, they will not change at full moon, neither voluntary. Eventually, they might permanently be altered into a Beastlike form or - unlike humans, orcs, elves, etc. - may actually be able to fight off and overcome Lycanthrope infection (without the need for powerful magic).

What would be an important point now is the matter: How is the world supposed to "feel" overall. This means things like:

- How advanced is technology / the sciences? (Concrete? Trebuchet? Full plate? Ships of the line? Black powder? Guns? Natural/Artificial Fertilizer? Streetlights? Glass Windows?)
- How modern is society / the social sciences? (Feudalism/Absolutism? Athenian/Merchant/Administrative Republics? Women's rights? Minority races' rights? Serfdom/Slavery(political/racial?)? Guilds/Unions? ...)
- How unlike earth is it really? (ratio of humans to non-humans? Ratio of non-earth beasts to earth-like animals, "magic-level" of monsters)
- What is magic like? (1. How frequent is it? 2. How powerful is it (in average, in exceptional cases)? 3. And how much does that influence the world (Is magic only a replacement for effects that you could also create with a 2-4 centuries more advanced technology, could it do more but people never had the idea to utilize that for their society, or does it really influence the base structures of the societies)?)

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:42 pm

Kaledoria wrote:The Elves Description is weird: "Among the longest living" implies that they get very old and then die, while "eternal youth" suggests immortality. I would word it in such a way: They can live for a few centuries and spend most of this time in a young adult physical state.

Also I would not throw Goblins, Orcs, Vampires and Lycanthropes into one bag.

A random idea way to far into the detail for this stage: I think Lycanthropy should affect Beastmen in a different way, since their civilized and animalistic soul is one unitary thing: Therefor, they will not change at full moon, neither voluntary. Eventually, they might permanently be altered into a Beastlike form or - unlike humans, orcs, elves, etc. - may actually be able to fight off and overcome Lycanthrope infection (without the need for powerful magic).

What would be an important point now is the matter: How is the world supposed to "feel" overall. This means things like:

- How advanced is technology / the sciences? (Concrete? Trebuchet? Full plate? Ships of the line? Black powder? Guns? Natural/Artificial Fertilizer? Streetlights? Glass Windows?)
- How modern is society / the social sciences? (Feudalism/Absolutism? Athenian/Merchant/Administrative Republics? Women's rights? Minority races' rights? Serfdom/Slavery(political/racial?)? Guilds/Unions? ...)
- How unlike earth is it really? (ratio of humans to non-humans? Ratio of non-earth beasts to earth-like animals, "magic-level" of monsters)
- What is magic like? (1. How frequent is it? 2. How powerful is it (in average, in exceptional cases)? 3. And how much does that influence the world (Is magic only a replacement for effects that you could also create with a 2-4 centuries more advanced technology, could it do more but people never had the idea to utilize that for their society, or does it really influence the base structures of the societies)?)

It means Elves can live longer than most of the other races, and while they do they are eternally youthful, though they still age, they just can't die of old age. (Youth here is a relative term as to someone who has lived for possibly millennia looking to be in their 80's would still be considered youthful.)

The only reason those races are under the moniker Demi-humans is because they are usually considered to be far beneath humans, at least on Estau. They are different races really, just having a few similar traits. else where they are considered full races(For the most part), but not on Estau. Also Vampires and Werebeasts (not lycanthropes as that is only were wolves) can reproduce sexually not just through turning others.)

It is Medieval what era medieval has yet to be determined. Trebs yes, full plate yes, Possibly ships of the line, Black powder yes, guns no (Though that might change), natural fertilizers, and Glass windows. (though much of this was obtained or can be attained through magic in some form or another

Slaves and vassals are a thing, have yet to be decided how the ranks are divided. Most of the non demihuman races are considered relatively equal. Guilds and unions are kind of a thing, but are only powerful in certain areas, around major cities and towns mostly.

Well there is more land on this world than water, and technlogy isnt that advanced maybe, and this is a tentative maybe, it is at the late 11th to early 12th century tech or so, it depends. This is because some of the tech has been enhanced by magic. Humans in the entire world of Aethion are a minority so far (Probably around 40% of the population or so), but their reproductive capacity has been helping in closing the gap a bit. Most of the normal animals are much like those on Earth, with some exceptions of course, then there are Magical Beasts and Monsters, which i will be writing a section for later, though for now just know they are similar yet different, but the humans of Estau mostly consider them to be nearly the same.

Magic will mainly work through spells, rituals, and formations. It is to produce a change not normally possible (description will be revised and i will put up a bit about magic later), some magic will replace what centuries of scientific advancement could produce, but it will also be capable of things science as of yet cannot. Magic is common among most of the races, but not every race can produce powerful mages. In some of the kingdoms of Estau it can influence society.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:31 pm

Poll is up, In case you are wondering the reason i didnt put map 2 up as an option is for Lore purposes, that Group of islands will be the birthplace of the sentient races that they were later forced to abandon.

I am typing the sections concerning magic now, but they will still need to be refined.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Magic stuff so far

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:22 pm

This has been moved to one of the above posts.
Last edited by Shadowwell on Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rygondria
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rygondria » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:55 pm

Would a Byzantine or Holy Roman Empire Style nation be acceptable.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:59 pm

Rygondria wrote:Would a Byzantine or Holy Roman Empire Style nation be acceptable.

probably, as i said to Vid, just give details and history, and they will be in the running. I have a few kingdom ideas myself but will give everyone else the chance first, as most of you are probably far more experienced than i in these things.
The actual rp will be character based though, the nations adn the like will only be for worldbuilding and lore purposes.

Nea Videssos
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nea Videssos » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:02 pm

Rygondria wrote:Would a Byzantine or Holy Roman Empire Style nation be acceptable.

I was thinking of something akin to a declining Byzantine fantasy empire myself, among other nation ideas. :p
Then again, I have a bit of a history of doing Byzantine influenced fantasy nations (especially in various old Fantasy RPs I used to be involved in, and a few I ran myself. There's also the fact that Videssos itself is a reference to Harry Turtledove's fantasy Byzantium setting, and the empire of Videssos).
I'm also thinking of some Venetian type nation, probably influenced by the fact that I was in Venice a few days ago. In turn, my inner Byzantinophile was somewhat triggered by the presence of the Byzantine bronze horses at Saint Mark's Basilica, lifted from Constantinople in 1204.

Anyway...
Last edited by Nea Videssos on Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rygondria
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rygondria » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:04 pm

Nea Videssos wrote:

I was thinking of something akin to a declining Byzantine fantasy empire myself, among other nation ideas. :p
Then again, I have a bit of a history of doing Byzantine influenced fantasy nations (especially in various old Fantasy RPs I used to be involved in, and a few I ran myself).
I'm also thinking of some Venetian type nation, probably influenced by the fact that I was in Venice a few days ago. In turn, my inner Byzantinophile was somewhat triggered by the presence of the Byzantine bronze horses at Saint Mark's Basilica, lifted from Constantinople in 1204.

Anyway...

An Hre vs Byzatine influenced nations, with a couple of border princes in the middle as proxies.
Last edited by Rygondria on Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:06 pm

i would like everyone to vote in the poll (So we can get to work on the Maps) as well as to voice any constructive criticism and opinions you may have. Especially about the Magic and mechanics portions.

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:07 pm

So, I see we have black powder, but no guns. Does that mean we're talking bombards and rockets then?
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:10 pm

Lunas Legion wrote:So, I see we have black powder, but no guns. Does that mean we're talking bombards and rockets then?

More like early explosives, most gun type things are replaced with magic spells mostly. Their are siege cannons and the like though. They arent widespread per se as much of Aethion depends on Magic in various ways.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:21 pm

The funny thing is i did expwrimentsl editing on a version of map 3 before i put up the poll, lol.

So i was thinking of adding labrynths and or dungeon or places like them. Would this be a good thing?
Last edited by Shadowwell on Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Tophat Empire
Senator

Founded: Sep 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tophat Empire » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:36 pm

can i run wild with a demi-human run nation somewhat akin to Reach from Erois?
would include nation, religion and stuff related

i stand able to assist with general military stuff, you know my references, so to speak

EDIT; is there possible to channel the magic from many users via the help of some arcane technology-thing?
Last edited by The Tophat Empire on Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FT, but roam where i please
It does not reflect my real life world political views, which are considerably less authoritarian and more moderate
Refer to my factbook for canon, it´s however out of date, and badly written. So take it with a grain of salt

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:45 pm

The Tophat Empire wrote:can i run wild with a demi-human run nation somewhat akin to Reach from Erois?

i stand able to assist with general military stuff, you know my references, so to speak

EDIT; is there possible to channel the magic from many users via the help of some arcane technology-thing?

Yes to both, in fact that is required for some spells, a strong enough medium would have to used though.

Also someon cropped maps 3 and 5 together and did some other map work for me.
Will add later.

The Tophat Empire
Senator

Founded: Sep 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tophat Empire » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:12 am

Shadowwell wrote:
The Tophat Empire wrote:can i run wild with a demi-human run nation somewhat akin to Reach from Erois?

Yes to both, in fact that is required for some spells, a strong enough medium would have to used though.

Will add later.

change that to a beastman nation, my fault, sorry.

btw, is the difference between different beastmen types large enough to warrant any thought(like, is a rabbit type just a bit faster than a dog type, or is it ludicrously, rocket on feet fast)

also, is crossbreeding a thing?
Last edited by The Tophat Empire on Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
FT, but roam where i please
It does not reflect my real life world political views, which are considerably less authoritarian and more moderate
Refer to my factbook for canon, it´s however out of date, and badly written. So take it with a grain of salt

Holy Empire of Avalon
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Empire of Avalon » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:25 am

The Tophat Empire wrote:
Shadowwell wrote:Yes to both, in fact that is required for some spells, a strong enough medium would have to used though.

Will add later.

btw, is the difference between different beastmen types large enough to warrant any thought(like, is a rabbit type just a bit faster than a dog type, or is it ludicrously, rocket on feet fast)

<.< If so that makes all my dreams come true *gets a big catcher's net*
I mean, not like I have plans to breed the ultimate adorable beast girl or anything...

Speaking of races and beast men though, I do have a race suggestion, they are a form of Elf with a twist

The Mikumwess (I presume it is to be said meek-oom-we-ss? Could not find a pronunciation of it and the word is well older than most nations so I give up on that), they are darker skinned Elves with a shaman like system of magic, at the age of adulthood each individual, if they choose and most do, goes on a spiritual journey into the nearby environment (woods, beach, tundra, mountains, just anywhere that they will not come into contact with people for their journey) and like an animal live off the land for their ritual, the end of this ritual shall be marked by a transformation into a creature that is half man and half beast - that beast being their new spirit animal.

Sources of inspiration for this, the Mikumwess are said by the indigenous peoples of north America to be The First People and are described to be a same creature in nature to how the Europeans describe Elves, this legend presumably being where the stereotypical lifestyle of the natives come from or vice versa. It was not uncommon for them to be given spirit animals after a journey into the wilderness in search of it, so I took that and ran with it a bit as differences between elves always seems bland (Oh, this one has destruco magic, this one is physically strong, this one heals - it always seems to RPG developed, odd thing to say but I hope you understand, this I feel makes it seem more "real" like could have developed form the chaos of a world and not simply a way of balancing a video game)

I will be suggesting some types of beastmen here shortly too. Are beastmen more like girls with animal ears or legit half way between man and beast? Cause I can find bundles of the prior easily, the latter I feel ventures too far into furry terrain for me to google e.e
Global War on Crime
______
Operation: VENGEFUL SPIRIT
|____|
Order of the Purple Cross
______
Al-Khalifiya Campaign
_|||_|||_
Arabic Spain Remembrance
______
Aravean Liberation
______
Magian Defense
||||||||

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:31 am

The Tophat Empire wrote:
Shadowwell wrote:Yes to both, in fact that is required for some spells, a strong enough medium would have to used though.

Will add later.

Rabit is much faster,
( between beastmen types?)
It can be though extremely rare, and mostly one or the other of the parents type are born, hybrids shoyld they survive birth are shunned mostly and treated bad. Though beastmen types with similar traits may give birth to a beastman that is stronger than normal and is more balanced as compared to normal hybriids.

Avalon both but to the less furry side mostly human regardless only weres will get close to furry territory looks wise. That reminds me of an incident at a renaisance fair i went to as a sxhool trip. A long time ago.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse