NATION

PASSWORD

Rome: Iron and Rust (OOC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Argentumurbem
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Argentumurbem » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:55 pm

One that allows transatlantic naval travel during Classical Antiquity?

Already I am starting to grow to the idea of a sequel, looking at the rise of the Empire / premature collapse of the republic. Would be pretty nifty to actually have some real senate discussions.
To Stop The Scythe - A Sci-Fi RP set in the world of Mass Effect. Join the Shadow Broker's team and hunt down the mysteries surrounding the Protheans, uncovering secrets that were best left unknown and fight your way to the knowledge that can bring about the destruction of the Reapers.

Western Pacific Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 29, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:56 pm

Argentumurbem wrote:One that allows transatlantic naval travel during Classical Antiquity?

Already I am starting to grow to the idea of a sequel, looking at the rise of the Empire / premature collapse of the republic. Would be pretty nifty to actually have some real senate discussions.

This RP will not end until there's a Roman colony in Cuba. Trust me 8)

Albertae
Senator

Founded: Oct 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:12 pm

Western Pacific Territories wrote:
Argentumurbem wrote:One that allows transatlantic naval travel during Classical Antiquity?

This RP will not end until there's a Roman colony in Cuba. Trust me 8)

Should I timeskip to Hispania?
Also, Cuba is said to be off the edge of the world if you were a Roman in Roman times.
My Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 2.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.33
Pro: Trump
Anti: Hillary

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -General George S. Patton
GENERATION 9: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

Gharin
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:17 pm

Nation/Faction Name: Cappadocia (Client state of Rome)
Leader: Ariobarzanes III of Cappadocia
Leader Age: Unknown
Leader Personality/Appearance: Persian and Greek
Other Characters in your faction (not named in the OP) and relevant details on them: Athenais Philostorgos II (Athenais, princess of Pontus); Isias Philostorgos (Queen of Commagene); Prince Eusebes Philadelphos (later Ariarathes X of Cappadocia)
Brief overview of faction/nation's recent history: Holding onto a tenuous rule following the death of his father, the King has sought to keep the independence of his Kingdom during the tumult with Rome. Originally supportive of Pompey the Great, the King has thrown his support behind Caesar after realizing the error of his ways.

* Successor of his father, Ariobarzanes II Philopator
* Favorite of Cicero and the Roman Senate
*Has attempted to thwart outside influence from Rome.
*Has held the Kingdom together following the failed reign of his father.

RP example: Which would you like to see?
Last edited by Gharin on Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Factbook: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47943
President-John Wallace

Vice President- Fiona Harold

Zoblus
Diplomat

Founded: May 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Zoblus » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:52 pm

Elepis wrote:
Zoblus wrote:Can help me with writing up about Malichus I, King of Nabataea?

what do you need to know?

Well, I couldn't find much about him personality wise or action wise, all I know is that he ended up becoming a vassal of Herod the Great.

Thinking things over, I might still app as Nabataea or I'll app as either Pontus or Parthia
"Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolutions."
- Khalil Gibran

The Ik Ka Ek Akai
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 08, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Ik Ka Ek Akai » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:31 pm

Zoblus wrote:
Elepis wrote: what do you need to know?

Well, I couldn't find much about him personality wise or action wise, all I know is that he ended up becoming a vassal of Herod the Great.

Thinking things over, I might still app as Nabataea or I'll app as either Pontus or Parthia

I screwed over Herod for my own Hasmonean needs, rewriting history, although just slightly. Nabataea's status is pretty open for interpretation, although having the Midianites alongside me couldn't hurt.

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:40 pm

In actual history Octavianus ends up ruling all of Rome. Suck on that. Though I have a feeling that's not going to happen in this. I just know that once Octavian gets to Hispania he's going to meet a nasty surprise.
My Political Compass:

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -General George S. Patton
GENERATION 9: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

Zoblus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zoblus » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:05 pm

Cool cool. I think I might stick with either doing Nabataea or Parthia now, I'll make my decision soon
"Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolutions."
- Khalil Gibran

Western Pacific Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 29, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:02 pm

Albertae wrote:In actual history Octavianus ends up ruling all of Rome. Suck on that. Though I have a feeling that's not going to happen in this. I just know that once Octavian gets to Hispania he's going to meet a nasty surprise.

Funny enough, before you apped I was planning on Octavian being gay and shipping Ptolemy x Octavian, only for both of them to get executed by Cleopatra, making Caesarion heir.

Gharin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:07 pm

Historically, there has been wide speculation that he was bisexual.
President-John Wallace

The Ik Ka Ek Akai
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 08, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Ik Ka Ek Akai » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:40 pm

Gharin wrote:Historically, there has been wide speculation that he was bisexual.

Most Romans were. Elagabalus, for instance, had like 4 wives and 1 husband who he treated like a wife.

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:54 pm

Yeah..
My Political Compass:

Gharin
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gharin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:11 pm

The Ik Ka Ek Akai wrote:
Gharin wrote:Historically, there has been wide speculation that he was bisexual.

Most Romans were. Elagabalus, for instance, had like 4 wives and 1 husband who he treated like a wife.

I'm aware (FYI I LOVE Elagabalus. Horrible at administration but WAY ahead of his time socially...); I'm merely pointing out that it would not be out of reach to merely use what we already know for the story.
President-John Wallace

Elepis
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:53 pm

Zoblus wrote:Cool cool. I think I might stick with either doing Nabataea or Parthia now, I'll make my decision soon

Parthia is taken btw
"Krugmar - Today at 10:00 PM
Not sure that'll work on Elepis considering he dislikes (from what I've observed):
A: Nationalism
B: Religion being taken seriously
C: The Irish"

Zoblus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zoblus » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:54 pm

Elepis wrote:
Zoblus wrote:Cool cool. I think I might stick with either doing Nabataea or Parthia now, I'll make my decision soon

Parthia is taken btw

Wait, by who?

*edit: Never mind
Last edited by Zoblus on Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Khalil Gibran

Argentumurbem
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Argentumurbem » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:32 am

Albertae wrote:Should I timeskip to Hispania?
Also, Cuba is said to be off the edge of the world if you were a Roman in Roman times.

I haven't even reached Italy yet and Pompey was already sailing before the rest of yous found out that Sextus had been removed from Africa :p

Albertae wrote:In actual history Octavianus ends up ruling all of Rome. Suck on that. Though I have a feeling that's not going to happen in this. I just know that once Octavian gets to Hispania he's going to meet a nasty surprise.

After what, two civil wars (excluding Gaius v Pompey which he was forced to sit out of due to illness I believe)? :p I mean he ruled well but bloody hell he was pragmatically ruthless.

And I don't think you'll find anything in Hispania, the riches are to be found in Africa or the East. Maybe some Iberians wishing to revolt against all Roman rule, or massive levies of Pompey's clients. That and by plot Pompey didn't leave any standing forces that I am aware of. However its Gaius you should probably be worried of. He already has the loyalty of your legions, and Egypt will sure swing the balance in his favour. One dead relation is nothing compared to First Citizen :eyebrow:

The Ik Ka Ek Akai wrote:

Was the law about men of higher birth being the passive in a homosexual relationship (the taker, in more unsavoury terms) with those of a lower birth still around? (I believe it was part of the "constitution" that it was considered perverted?)

@Western Pacific Territories: I think Pompey marching on Rome in aggression against Crassus is evidence enough that the Triumvirate was already dead and gone, if it had not already ended years before :lol2:

@Lunas Legion: What is the mechanic for raising levies and/or client legions? I am assuming that the Italic legionnaires are Crassi/Populares clients and or standard levies but how many men are there who are part of Pompey's network?

@South Mauristan: Where are you wanting to meet for this clash of arms?
To Stop The Scythe - A Sci-Fi RP set in the world of Mass Effect. Join the Shadow Broker's team and hunt down the mysteries surrounding the Protheans, uncovering secrets that were best left unknown and fight your way to the knowledge that can bring about the destruction of the Reapers.

Elepis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:00 am

Argentumurbem wrote:

I haven't even reached Italy yet and Pompey was already sailing before the rest of yous found out that Sextus had been removed from Africa :p

After what, two civil wars (excluding Gaius v Pompey which he was forced to sit out of due to illness I believe)? :p I mean he ruled well but bloody hell he was pragmatically ruthless.

And I don't think you'll find anything in Hispania, the riches are to be found in Africa or the East. Maybe some Iberians wishing to revolt against all Roman rule, or massive levies of Pompey's clients. That and by plot Pompey didn't leave any standing forces that I am aware of. However its Gaius you should probably be worried of. He already has the loyalty of your legions, and Egypt will sure swing the balance in his favour. One dead relation is nothing compared to First Citizen :eyebrow:

The Ik Ka Ek Akai wrote:

Was the law about men of higher birth being the passive in a homosexual relationship (the taker, in more unsavoury terms) with those of a lower birth still around? (I believe it was part of the "constitution" that it was considered perverted?)

@Western Pacific Territories: I think Pompey marching on Rome in aggression against Crassus is evidence enough that the Triumvirate was already dead and gone, if it had not already ended years before :lol2:

@Lunas Legion: What is the mechanic for raising levies and/or client legions? I am assuming that the Italic legionnaires are Crassi/Populares clients and or standard levies but how many men are there who are part of Pompey's network?

Me and Lunas are talking about this at the moment, currently 15,000 are to go north under Cldoius while 10,000 + 5,000 Vigiles + X thousands street gangs will hold Rome.
Not sure that'll work on Elepis considering he dislikes (from what I've observed):

South Mauristan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby South Mauristan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:24 am

Hey, just to confirm. Is my app as Publius Clodius accepted?
♂♀Copy and Paste this in your sig if you know there are 2 genders and didn't fail biology♂♀

Elepis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:31 am

South Mauristan wrote:Hey, just to confirm. Is my app as Publius Clodius accepted?

I don't think Lunas has seen it yet, I suggest you TG him

Argentumurbem
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Argentumurbem » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:39 am

Elepis wrote:Me and Lunas are talking about this at the moment, currently 15,000 are to go north under Cldoius while 10,000 + 5,000 Vigiles + X thousands street gangs will hold Rome.

Wouldn't this decision be made by South Mauristan (assuming app acceptance)?

Elepis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:42 am

Argentumurbem wrote:
Elepis wrote:Me and Lunas are talking about this at the moment, currently 15,000 are to go north under Cldoius while 10,000 + 5,000 Vigiles + X thousands street gangs will hold Rome.

Wouldn't this decision be made by South Mauristan (assuming app acceptance)?

we didn't know he existed when we were talking about it :p But I control Publius Crassus in Rome and he has no intention of marching to fight Pompey. Why march when you have the Servian walls and a loyal populace?

If we go by the thing me and lunas were talking about, Clodius would march north and either meet Pompey in battle by accident of fortify some city in North Lazio that Pompey would have to besiege

Albertae
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Albertae » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:38 am

Argentumurbem wrote:

The Ik Ka Ek Akai wrote:

I was just wondering if I should, but it seems most of you haven't gotten to where you'd be historically.

Haha, yeah! The wiki actually said Octavianus was very ruthless when he was younger, but transformed into a much more pleasant and calm ruler later on. *cough cough* Caesar's fault. *cough cough* Caesar's is MLG pro.

Darn... I'm marching 15,000 soldiers half of which are auxiliary's I better find some riches or my men are gonna get fidgety. All I know is that even though Octavianus makes himself like a god in his men's eyes he's gonna get a major morale drop when they don't find any riches for looting.. Fifteen thousand are going to be nothing compared to the probably thousands of angry Iberians. This is why I need Marc Antony to help! D: I don't know, I better just hope for the best and play it the smart way. Play the Iberians against each other.
My Political Compass:

Elepis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:50 am

Argentumurbem wrote:

No, it had faded out by this time. However it was still seen as taboo to be the passive partner

Elepis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:51 am

Argentumurbem wrote:
Albertae wrote:And I don't think you'll find anything in Hispania, the riches are to be found in Africa or the East. Maybe some Iberians wishing to revolt against all Roman rule, or massive levies of Pompey's clients. That and by plot Pompey didn't leave any standing forces that I am aware of. However its Gaius you should probably be worried of. He already has the loyalty of your legions, and Egypt will sure swing the balance in his favour. One dead relation is nothing compared to First Citizen :eyebrow:

Hispania actually had a lot of sliver and olive oil (which was expensive) so it is rich.

Elepis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:52 am

Albertae wrote:
Western Pacific Territories wrote:This RP will not end until there's a Roman colony in Cuba. Trust me 8)

Should I timeskip to Hispania?

No, that will throw everyone out of sink. As Lunas though, he maybe different.

(sorry for triple post, cba doing them all in one)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse