NATION

PASSWORD

Illegal Script Usage "Predator": Punishments

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Severisen
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 15, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Severisen » Tue May 03, 2016 9:31 am

Well, given he mentioned Osiris, I'd assume Koth was the one in question. Koth has been in Osiris for years and co-founded its off-site government 2.5 years ago.
<mcmasterdonia> Ex-TBH dudes get all the NS girls.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Yeah but no one here can read. Literacy is a tool used by fendas, like IRC or morals.

Sichuan Pepper wrote:Should I be worried that Mall said he wanted to invade my region?
Member of the Cult of the Overgoat.

Married to my best friends Xoriet and Astarial
Father to Ramaeus, Sylvia, Greyghost, Bachtendekuppen, Liliarchy, Jar, Cookie. (And Guy)
Former: Everything
Current: Nowhere man.
Past, Present, and Future: Nobody.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue May 03, 2016 9:35 am

In which case that's not a problem at all him being an Officer there.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Tue May 03, 2016 9:45 am

Sedgistan wrote:In which case that's not a problem at all him being an Officer there.

A lot of individuals have more than one 'home region' though.
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Evil Wolf
Minister

Founded: Apr 28, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Tue May 03, 2016 9:59 am

This recent ruling does beg the question: does the ruling allow for someone to maliciously appoint a Predator violator as a Regional Officer and then have someone else report them in order to get the Predator violator in more trouble?

It's clear the intention of the Moderation Team here is to try and make sure those being punished for Predator do not participate in raids, but the actual language of Sedge's statement does not make this explicitly clear, presumably to give the Mods more flexibility, and thus makes the ruling too flexible and opens up the possibility of a player intentionally appointing a Predator Violator as an officer so someone else can ModBomb them.

I would hope Moderation would see through such efforts, but, like I said, as the ruling stands now, it would appear that any Predator Violator with a WA ban can still be punished as the direct result of an intentional ModBomb set up.

You might want to narrow the terms of the ruling is all I'm saying.
Last edited by Evil Wolf on Tue May 03, 2016 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's ok! You can trust me! I've been Commended!

Kryozerkia wrote:In the good old days raiding was illegal
Crazy Girl wrote:Invading was never illegal
[violet] wrote:There is supposed to be an invasion game.

Mallorea and Riva should be a Game Moderator Game Administrator.

Severisen
Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby Severisen » Tue May 03, 2016 10:31 am

Which is why Sedge said home regions, plural.

And to EW, I like to think there is an element of common sense with respect to moderation and the enforcement of these policies. Presumably the region in question would have to show signs of invasion, and the appointed nation/player would have some affiliation with the invading group.

The water does become murky where a sleeper/infiltration comes into play. Hopefully there is an element of history of involvement in the region taken into account and someone who is there genuinely as a native, in spite of alignment as a raider, isn't caught in the crossfire.

The state of raiding is tenuous at best, and each misstep further is not helping our cause. Be safe; when in doubt GHR it out.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Yeah but no one here can read. Literacy is a tool used by fendas, like IRC or morals.

Sichuan Pepper wrote:Should I be worried that Mall said he wanted to invade my region?

Father to Ramaeus, Sylvia, Greyghost, Bachtendekuppen, Liliarchy, Jar, Cookie. (And Guy)

Bojikami
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bojikami » Tue May 03, 2016 10:33 am

Woah, what happened?
Be gay, do crime.
23 year old nonbinary trans woman(She/They), also I'm a Marxist-Leninist.
Economic Left/Right: -10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.33

Evil Wolf
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Tue May 03, 2016 10:44 am

Severisen wrote:And to EW, I like to think there is an element of common sense with respect to moderation and the enforcement of these policies. Presumably the region in question would have to show signs of invasion, and the appointed nation/player would have some affiliation with the invading group.

As a rule, I never assume common sense will prevail when dealing with vagueness.

Specifically the ruling states "players currently under a WA ban for Predator involvement should not serve as Regional Officers outside their home regions for the duration of their ban" so that would mean, by letter of the law, none of this explicitly applies to invasions, which means that the ModBombing scenario I explained earlier remains feasible, even outside of raids.

I can see what the intention was but what was intended and what was written doesn't seem to match up.

Severisen
Chargé d'Affaires

Father Knows Best State

Postby Severisen » Tue May 03, 2016 10:48 am

When taken in concert with the intention of the original ruling, i.e. to remove these people from actively raiding for the duration of their bans, I doubt the mods would feel that their hand was forced in the matter. "Welp, we said we'd lay the smackdown, so here we go!"

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue May 03, 2016 11:12 am

EW - we have a rule against using mods as a weapon, which already covers situations like the one you raised. Anyone who tried to appoint a Predator user as an RO to get them in trouble would find themselves mod-bombed.
Last edited by Sedgistan on Tue May 03, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Of crazed
Envoy

Founded: Mar 13, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Of crazed » Tue May 03, 2016 7:23 pm

Wow the cheaters are still finding loopholes even though all DEN material is banned? Who would have thought this could happen???!!

Evil Wolf
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Tue May 03, 2016 11:12 pm

Sedgistan wrote:EW - we have a rule against using mods as a weapon, which already covers situations like the one you raised. Anyone who tried to appoint a Predator user as an RO to get them in trouble would find themselves mod-bombed.

Yes, I remember. All the same, the possibility that it might happen and could go undiscovered until an appeal is filed, or maybe even not at all, still makes me uneasy.

The wolfman from den
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The wolfman from den » Wed May 11, 2016 2:23 pm

Sounds like den are like Dennis the menace and have had their catapults and water pistols aswell as ammo taken and sent to bed with no supper and are grounded

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Wed May 11, 2016 4:20 pm

The wolfman from den wrote:Sounds like den are like Dennis the menace and have had their catapults and water pistols aswell as ammo taken and sent to bed with no supper and are grounded

R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

We Are Not the NSA
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby We Are Not the NSA » Wed May 11, 2016 4:28 pm

The wolfman from den wrote:Sounds like den are like Dennis the menace and have had their catapults and water pistols aswell as ammo taken and sent to bed with no supper and are grounded

I have about 12 different reasons that this post annoys me, starting with the fact that the discussions seems to be pretty much over and the comment does not add to it, and ending with the fact that the poster is a resident of one of the splinter groups of DEN. Also, it's pretty much spam. :eyebrow:
\▼/We Are Not the NSA | Nohbdy | Eumaeus\▼/

Raiding HistorySecurity CouncilDear NativesTWP Raid

Retired Raider | He, Him, His | Bisexual

The wolfman from den
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The wolfman from den » Wed May 11, 2016 5:08 pm

Well not very bright move that was trying for humoure and if honest didn't realise that hydra is basically what was this. Any guesses how stupide I feel now cos if u guess 100% it's an understatement. Sorry fellow raiders for that stupide outburst

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue May 31, 2016 3:11 am

An update on this: the player "Texasa" has been added to the punishment list, with the deletion of their main nation and a 3 month WA ban commencing today.

For the record, I'm not noting later extensions to WA bans in the OP, but there are a few in effect.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Tue May 31, 2016 6:05 am

Sedgistan wrote:An update on this: the player "Texasa" has been added to the punishment list, with the deletion of their main nation and a 3 month WA ban commencing today.

For the record, I'm not noting later extensions to WA bans in the OP, but there are a few in effect.

Could I possibly get some more info on this? What was Texasa found guilty of, and why is their punishment being tacked on here 2 months after the Predator scandal? I'm mainly asking because the player is an active and seemingly innocent member of my region, and this unusual ruling comes as a complete surprise.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Tue May 31, 2016 6:09 am

Phydios wrote:
Sedgistan wrote:An update on this: the player "Texasa" has been added to the punishment list, with the deletion of their main nation and a 3 month WA ban commencing today.

Could I possibly get some more info on this? What was Texasa found guilty of, and why is their punishment being tacked on here 2 months after the Predator scandal? I'm mainly asking because the player is an active and seemingly innocent member of my region, and this unusual ruling comes as a complete surprise.

They probably found more information regarding his involvement in Predator.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Tue May 31, 2016 6:12 am

Luziyca wrote:
Phydios wrote:Could I possibly get some more info on this? What was Texasa found guilty of, and why is their punishment being tacked on here 2 months after the Predator scandal? I'm mainly asking because the player is an active and seemingly innocent member of my region, and this unusual ruling comes as a complete surprise.

They probably found more information regarding his involvement in Predator.

This is true. New information was brought to our attention, and we felt the need to act accordingly.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Tue May 31, 2016 6:17 am

Mousebumples wrote:
Luziyca wrote:They probably found more information regarding his involvement in Predator.

This is true. New information was brought to our attention, and we felt the need to act accordingly.

Alright then. I suppose that's the best I'll get, considering player privacy. Thanks.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Pro Life Nation
Civil Servant

Founded: May 31, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Pro Life Nation » Tue May 31, 2016 1:05 pm

Texasa Is innocent, His Puppet Boscovs Was the menace behind this.

Gest II
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 02, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Gest II » Tue May 31, 2016 1:39 pm

Pro Life Nation wrote:

Texasa Is innocent, His Puppet Boscovs Was the menace behind this.

I don't know Texasa but I'm pretty sure he is being railroaded since his conviction is likely based on him being reported for what he said in this forum: http://w11.zetaboards.com/NS_Right_to_Life

"I am Used to their Tool Known as Predator, In which produces multiple puppets at once, 1 of which is a WA puppet."

Someone who made such a statement clearly has no actual idea what it does and it would be foolish to punish someone based on such a fantastical confession.

I'd bet money he was talking about making puppets using NS++ which he confused into Predator, and then he was asked to confess.
Last edited by Gest II on Tue May 31, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ovybia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovybia » Tue May 31, 2016 1:47 pm

Gest II wrote:
Pro Life Nation wrote:Texasa Is innocent, His Puppet Boscovs Was the menace behind this.

I don't know Texasa but I'm pretty sure he is being railroaded since his conviction is likely based on him being reported for what he said in this forum: http://w11.zetaboards.com/NS_Right_to_Life

"I am Used to their Tool Known as Predator, In which produces multiple puppets at once, 1 of which is a WA puppet."

Someone who made such a statement clearly has no actual idea what it does and it would be foolish to punish someone based on such a fantastical confession.

On that forum he claimed that he was a former DEN officer and used predator twice. I asked him to send a confession to the mods and he did so.
Please approve Child Destruction Ban. If you don't, the Ovybian dragon will come eat you.
Prolife? Consider joining Right to Life, one of the 100 largest regions of NS
Signature Details
Practicing courteousness in an NS argument never hurt anyone.
Disclaimer: Admittedly sometimes I need to take my own advice.

Gest II
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 02, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Gest II » Tue May 31, 2016 1:52 pm

Ovybia wrote:
Gest II wrote:

On that forum he claimed that he was a former DEN officer and used predator twice. I asked him to send a confession to the mods and he did so.

No offense to Texasa but he types like he's a bit young or ESL so he might be getting things confused. He wasn't an officer, he was just a random guy who joined the region who didn't even have Skype, via looking at his profile. I'm almost positive he got NS++ confused with Predator, as people were instructed to use it to make a bunch of nations. Then you guys told him to confess which I bet was taken at 100 percent face value by the admins. This is a miscarriage of justice, there is no way this guy is guilty, just look at what he confessed to, Predator didn't make nations.
Last edited by Gest II on Tue May 31, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ovybia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovybia » Tue May 31, 2016 1:58 pm

Gest II wrote:
Ovybia wrote:On that forum he claimed that he was a former DEN officer and used predator twice. I asked him to send a confession to the mods and he did so.

No offense to Texasa but he types like he's a bit young or ESL so he might be getting things confused. He wasn't an officer, he was just a random guy who joined the region who didn't even have Skype, via looking at his profile. I'm almost positive he got NS++ confused with Predator, as people were instructed to use it to make a bunch of nations. Then you guys told him to confess which I bet was taken at 100 percent face value by the admins. This is a miscarriage of justice, there is no way this guy is guilty, just look at what he confessed to, Predator didn't make nations.

You might be right. I'll post the relevant part of the conversation here for the mods to see:

Ovybia: When you used predator did you know it wasn't quite within site rules?
Texasa: Yes i was aware,Then i realised it would probably be found so i escaped into this region without showing any signs of suspiciousness.
Ovybia: 1. How many times did you use predator, Texasa?
2. How were you able to hide your use of predator from the mods?
Texasa: [response to question 1] 2
[response to question 2] escaping den
Ovybia: I also suggest you submit a getting help request (click here: https://www.nationstates.net/page=help) to the mods saying that you used predator but you are very sorry and will not break site rules again.
Please approve Child Destruction Ban. If you don't, the Ovybian dragon will come eat you.
Prolife? Consider joining Right to Life, one of the 100 largest regions of NS
Signature Details
Practicing courteousness in an NS argument never hurt anyone.
Disclaimer: Admittedly sometimes I need to take my own advice.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay