NATION

PASSWORD

Southern Journal - Issue XXVII: PM Powers, Missing Cabinet

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Southern Journal
Secretary

Founded: Aug 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Minister of Foreign Affairs Candidate Interview

Postby Southern Journal » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:50 pm

Minister of Foreign Affairs Candidate Interview
Motivation to Run | Foreign Service and Integration | Treaties and Allies

Feirmont is the incumbent Delegate of the South Pacific and the sole candidate for Minister of Foreign Affairs in the November 2015 election. He agreed to sit with the Southern Journal to answer some questions about his motivation to run for this office and his objectives and policies regarding our foreign affairs.

Hi Feirmont. Thanks for taking the time.

Thanks for having me

I want to start with the most obvious question. Why did you choose not to run for reelection as Delegate?

There were multiple factors to why I didn't run for re-election. The major factor is that I would like to focus more on Foreign Affairs; as it is a section of NationStates that I haven't focused on previously (save for my short term last March). The idea of inter-regional communications and diplomacy has always been intriguing, and I wanted to focus my attention in that direction for the coming term.

Some have mentioned your decreasing activity during the later stages of this term. Did that influence your decision?

Only mildly. Admittedly my return to university hit me hard in the middle of my term, and I was struggling to keep up with my duties as Delegate, at least forum side. Arguably, the position of Foreign Affairs requires more activity; keeping an eye and an ear out for happenings around Nation States and bringing it to the attention of their fellow Cabinet members.

Are there any lessons from your term as Delegate that you will apply if elected?

Yes. The most importing thing I've learned about during my term as Delegate is patience. Listening to everyone and seeking all the information necessary to make a decision is something I am prepared to bring to the next Cabinet. Also, keeping an open mind when speaking with individuals from other regions, and keeping a friendly attitude during discussions.

An important topic in the previous election was the existence of the Foreign Service. Will you revive the ambassador corps or keep it disbanded?

I have an interesting idea for the Foreign Service. Integrating eager newcomers to the region has always been something I've been fond of. If someone had a question I would try to answer it to the best of my abilities. So, with that in mind I thought of a kind of individual 'hands-on' approach for the Foreign Service. I do want to continue to send monthly publications to regions we're normally in contact with, but I also want to give the chance for anybody to see what FA is all about. I decided that if I'm elected, I won't have a specific Foreign Service per-se. If somebody in the South Pacific wants to be an envoy, I'll let them be an envoy. If somebody wants to learn how to properly write a Treaty or Non-Aggression Pacts; or even just learn what it means to be in the Foreign Service. Judging by the previous amount of participants in the Foreign Service; I believe a one-on-one process would work.

Former Minister Sandaoguo once said that the nature of foreign affairs in NationStates means mentorship is possible, but more established involvement programmes as not that practical. How would you respond to that?

I think it's all about how you go about it. If you suddenly open the doors and hope everyone will understand what it means to work in foreign affairs you may (or may not) be in for quite a shock. If you lean more towards a mentorship, there's a possibility that your 'apprentice' won't pan out, and it would have been just a waste of energy. That being said, I lean more to agree with Sandaoguo's comment; but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try something anyway.

Another issue that surfaced in the previous election was cooperation with the Special Forces. Do you think this still applies today?

Communication is important for every Cabinet member; and I hope to keep communication high with everyone in the Cabinet to advance the goals of not only my ministry but most other aspects of TSP.  

Do we have adequate levels of communication and cooperation with our treaty allies?

We can never have enough communication with our allies. We can always do better. And Hileville's done a great job getting communications out and I hope to build on that. I know that if I'm elected I'll be hopping around myself, if only to say a friendly hello now and then to our allies.

What kind of communication or joint activities would you like to see with our allies?

Speaking as a former Minister of Regional Affairs; I always enjoy seeing joint festivals. Back in my campaign with Arbiter for Delegate, we spoke about War Games between allies. An idea we still have on paper and I haven't dismissed. I'd also, on top of the minimum monthly updates, like to work with the Southern Journal in a sort of International Issue to be sent at least once this term. Show what our writers, RPers and Spammers are capable of.

Is there any particular ally with whom you think more contact is needed?

I hesitate to say there is only one particular ally where more contact is needed; but I'd rather say we should have a higher amount of contact with all of our allies (at the very least the ones we have a treaty with).

Is there an ally with whom we haven't talked much in recent months?

The Rejected Realms. Although they had a Foreign Envoy sent went the program was still running this term, it has been a while since we've cooperated in an event.

What about potential friends and allies? Are there any regions that you would like to approach if elected?

There have been talks about Osiris, Albion and TWP. Taijitu is also another name that's been tossed around a fair bit

How would you describe your foreign policy?

Open. As an independent I'm not afraid to hear out most foreign bodies, while I try to keep what I believe TSP's best interests are internationally.

What do you think are our interests at this point in time?

TSP has become more and more focused on RP and Culture. We could benefit from finding regions that enjoy a cultural aspect as much as we do. This of course doesn't mean we should ignore regions that focus more on gameplay and their respective regional governments; that's just how I see TSP is right now.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Anytime! Thanks again for having me.

Disclaimer: This transcript has been edited for orthography and clarity in the flow of the conversation. While some words may have slightly different spelling and some interventions may have been placed in different order, the core content of the conversation has not been altered. A raw copy of the transcript may be provided upon request.

Southern Journal
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Chair of the Assembly Candidate Interview

Postby Southern Journal » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Chair of the Assembly Candidate Interview
Legal Reform | Integration | Civility

Sam111 is a former Vice Delegate. He is the sole candidate for Chair of the Assembly and agreed to sit down with the Southern Journal to answer a few questions about his candidacy and his goal of making the Assembly more civil and accessible to newcomers.

Welcome Sam. I appreciate you taking the time.

Thanks for having me.

I want to start with something that was largely absent from your campaign. You did not promise an overarching legal reform, unlike previous candidates. Was there a specific reason for that?

I don't believe it is something that you need to be in this position to do. I'd prefer to concentrate on things that I believe are the CoA's sole responsibility to do.

You did make a reference to changing the way Great Councils work. Was that in response to the recent Council? And what kind of reform do you envision?

It was in response to the lack of success with the recent Great Council. I would like to conduct a review on them and look at reforming them to something that will actually work. I see them possibly being more of a constitutional convention.

What would be different, compared to the current scheme?

Probably more actually looking at the laws and discussing them, less just looking at individual bills.

Going back to your earlier answer. What do you believe are some of the Chair's core responsibilities?

I feel like the chair is there mostly to guide the assembly, not to single-handedly undertake massive reforms. To moderate and bring improvements, but not unilaterally.

that involve guiding newcomers who wish to get involved in the Assembly?

Yes it does, mainly with the use of the new "Assembly Mentors" program I'd like to get up and running.

Could you expand on that Assembly Mentors proposal?

I would like to get a few people together who would be there to assist people with things like law making and to help them find their feet in the assembly. These mentors would work 1 on 1 with people, as well as also giving lectures about different aspects of the assembly.

One promise that several past candidates have make is to make the Assembly more civil and friendlier to newcomers. How much of a problem would you say that is today?

I believe it is still quite a large problem today. When you've got anyone, regardless of who they are, who is afraid, or unwilling, to take part in the assembly because of other people's actions, it's a large problem.

What steps do you think you, as Chair, could take to revert that situation?

This is a really tough situation. I need to make sure the assembly is well moderated, which will hopefully keep toxicity to a lower level. Possibly implemented awards for people, to encourage friendly participation.

Whether it is a direct insult or a unbecoming treatment of a fellow citizen, how exactly would you moderate debate in the Assembly?

The removal of offending posts, or parts of posts. Warning and discussing it with the person/people responsible, because sometimes people may not actually realise what they've done.

Thanks for taking the time, Sam.

Thanks for having me.

Disclaimer: This transcript has been edited for orthography and clarity in the flow of the conversation. While some words may have slightly different spelling and some interventions may have been placed in different order, the core content of the conversation has not been altered. A raw copy of the transcript may be provided upon request.

Southern Journal
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Minister of the Army Candidate Interview

Postby Southern Journal » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:43 pm

Minister of the Army Candidate Interview
Recruitment and Training | Internal Structure | Public Image | Missions and Cooperation

Siberian is the incumbent Minister of the Army and is running unopposed for reelection. His campaign has focused on increasing recruitment and continuing to improve the public image of the Special Forces. He agreed to meet with the Southern Journal to answer some questions about his campaign.

Welcome Siberian. Thanks for agreeing to this interview.

I'm glad to be here!

I want to start by giving you a chance to account for your term. What has been done during the past four months?

Well, I started off doing some internal work in which I tried a "Soldier of the Month" program, added new rank insignias, a new flag, and wrote an FAQ and signup thread. Towards the end of my term I introduced a "Field Reporter" rank which writes raid reports with a roleplaying theme to make them much more immersive and fun to read.

Alongside this I continued running operations at an active rate. In my term we had 7 total operations- 4 raids, 2 liberations, and 1 delegacy transfer. In these operations we both worked with other raider/defender organizations and did missions by ourselves.

Is there something that you feel could have been done better this term?

As much as I hate to say this, I do feel like I could've done a fair bit better. Since this was my first time leading a military I got too focused on bells and whistles that made our organization look better but didn't have a large effect on our efficiency. To the start of my term I did all but ignore recruitment, putting very little time into gathering new recruits- which is a crucial part to running the military. While I did start to pick it up later on I do think I could've done much better.

Oh, and visibility. While I did manage to put out some semi-frequent reports and messages I didn't reach out to the game-side community. I definitely hope to improve on both my recruitment numbers and visibility next term.

You have raised the issue of recruitment, which undoubtedly is the basis of running a military. What specific steps would you take to ensure recruitment remains at adequate levels in the future?

Shit. My cookies are burning. Give me a couple minutes

Sure.

Crisis averted. The cookies are safe.

What kind of cookies?

Peanut butter chip with a melted Toblerone chocolate in the middle. They're heavenly.

I can't say about peanut butter, but that Toblerone does sound incredibly yummy.

Cookies aside, I'd like to reach out to the gameside community and perhaps find a way to allow people into the SPSF without having to create a forums account. The details and kinks haven't been fully worked out yet, but it's something I'd like to take a stab at. There's another thing I brought up in my campaign that would go hand-in-hand with recruitment. Increasing our regional popularity. If we can manage to do that by increasing visibility and having some SPSF sponsored activities, I definitely think we'd see an increase in recruits.

Would recruits also have clear ways to get information and practical training on military gameplay?

They would. We've currently got some guides written by Arbiter08/The Sanghelios Legion and there's the "Complete Guide to Military Gameplay" on the NS forums which I tend to send people to. Once they've read those I like taking them over the IRC and showing them how to raid/defend by taking them on a few tags/detags. I'd like to maybe set either our Generals or Deputies on training as well, so if I am not here, the recruit would have other options. This is something we didn't have before and it's increased the caliber of our troops by tenfold.

You recently said that the General Corps needs to be reforms. What should be its ideal role within the Special Forces and what kind of appointment and membership scheme should it have?

Well, right now it's simply just a title. While I can count on General Resentine for some advice at times, it's still quite useless. With this in mind I'd like for the General Corps to be something chosen by the MoA and have their General rank removed once the MoA's term is over. This would allow the MoA to choose a group of people they can work with and trust without having to worry about whether they'll be compatible with the future MoA. My idea will also allow more different opinions to be heard- something we could use right now in the SPSF.

Basically making it a temporary rank, as opposed to a life statutory position?

Correct. Along with removing the need for a General to be approved by the Assembly.

You have also said that the current rank structure needs to be simplified. With that in mind, is the goal to encourage a closer and friendlier relationship between all soldiers? Or is it just a matter of pragmatism?

I never really considered the first point. The SPSF after all is a very open military. We don't have any sense of elitism within our ranks- a Rekrite is treated with just as much respect and a Depite. I wanted to streamline our rank structure to not only make it less daunting to new members, but to make it much more sensible in regards to our size.

What do you think is the current perception that the public has of the Special Forces?

It's much better than it was before, but it's not to the point where I want it to be. When I first joined we had topics about demilitarization and we were thought of as a complete separate branch from TSP. Now that we've been much more visible and active, I'd like to think people are much more accepting of us and are pleased with our achievements.

Is the release of regular mission reports relevant to maintaining that public perception?

Definitely. With the new rank of "Field Reporter" I no longer have to write out each report, format it, then post it. This will give me much more time to reformat the reports so I can upload them to different places.

One topic that has not surfaced in this election is our alignment and the type of missions we undertake. What criteria do you consider when planning missions, and what is the limit to what the Special Forces will do?

The SPSF will only target region if they are founderless, have little to no active native community, or are a Warzone. We do not have limits regarding banning/ejecting nations or refounds, but if a region shows sufficient active community we will not raid them.

Do you have any plans to increase our military cooperation with treaty allies or to host activities such as military games or tournaments?

At the moment I think we work with other militaries quite frequently, and I'm happy with our level or cooperation. Although, I would like to host some Brotherhood of Malice-inspired war games where teams need to complete certain objectives.

Are there any non-allied regions with which you would like to start cooperating or increase the cooperation that already exists?

Not at the moment. The gameplay field has been quite stale regarding new regions.

Thanks again for taking the time. That concludes our interview.

Pleasure being here! Don't forget to check out that "RON" person's campaign. I've heard he's got some pretty good ideas :P

Last edited by Southern Journal on Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Southern Journal
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Issue XIII

Postby Southern Journal » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:26 pm

TOP STORY: OLD MEETS NEW AT MORA PROMOTIONS
by Kringalia

Standard office for Deputy Ministers

In a leadership shakeup, Minister of Regional Affairs Punchwood announced on March 15 a new set of Deputy Ministers and Advisory Councillors, to replace resigning officials and rotate other long serving members.

Former Minister Kringalia was brought back as Deputy Minister and member of the Advisory Council. Currently the longest serving member of the Ministry Staff, Kringalia has already served twice as Minister and twice as Deputy Minister. Former Minister Cathalea was also brought back to the Advisory Council, having served once as Minister and being a long-term member of the Staff.

As part of a newer generation, former Army Minister Siberian was appointed to the Advisory Council and offered a position as Deputy Minister, though he declined the latter due to his ongoing commitments with the Special Forces. Though not a newcomer to the South Pacific, Siberian is rather new to the Ministry of Regional Affairs. He has been instrumental in the development of the Southern Radio. A newcomer by the name of Rinian was also appointed to the Council.

Asked about the ongoing work of the Ministry of Regional Affairs, Cathalea was deliberately vague, saying that the Ministry was "coming close to unveiling a nice project which has been in the works for a while" and hoping that the region would like it.

Roleplayers Wrap Up Convention
by Kringalia

Dinner at the Roleplay Convention

Recent events in the South Pacific may have convinced many residents and foreigners that drama and controversy dominate the region, and while that might have been the case for the regional government a few weeks ago, a quieter but equally important event has been taking place in Treasure Island.

There a Roleplay Convention has been underway, a gathering of all those who actively roleplay on the regional forum, in order to discuss the status quo and whether any improvements can be made to the roleplay forum layout and their overall community. This meeting was convened by Kringalia on February 6 to discuss the satisfaction with the layout of the roleplay forum and possible changes to it, as well as the possibility of encouraging roleplays that deviate from the regional canon.

As participants took notice of the Convention, they quickly suggested the addition of a subforum where they could post their factbooks and national information, since threads of that nature are currently spread over different sections of the roleplay forum. Layout changes have continued to be suggested throughout the Convention, ultimately leading to a consensus proposal that would separate Treasure Island as its own forum category and create a section dedicated to roleplays outside the regional canon. This proposal has been considered by Forum Administration, though a consensus is yet to be reached.

By February 19 there were still discussions about layout, but discussion had also turned to the issue of roleplays affecting inactive nations and the possibility of removing certain nations off the claims list. Opinion was mixed with regards to the former, some being comfortable with having roleplays that affect inactive nations, while others said it was important for all nations to give consent before having their nation involved in a roleplay. Though sentiment ultimately seemed to gravitate towards the consent requirement, there has been no specific decision yet.

A more complicated issue has been the removal of some nations from the claims list. As it currently stands, nations that cease to exist gameside lose their corresponding claim on the regional map, which would open them for future claim by a different user. There is growing concern among several roleplayers that allowing such claims over certain national plots would cause problems for the regional canon, since future claimants would be able to erase all the history associated with the plots in question.

In particular, many have asked that the plots formerly associated with Ryccia and Sporaltryus be reserved, since most events since the current canon was established are directly related to those two nations and could not have happened otherwise. Chief Cartographer Rhinotaz has allowed users Ryccia and Cathalea to reclaim their former plots, but has so far rejected the possibility of removing any plots from the claims list. As a compromise, Ryccia and Cathalea were allowed to reclaim their plots, but no actual reservation has been agreed upon.

There is no formal decision making mechanism at the Convention, so decisions are mostly taken when there is broad consensus on each matter, with the exception of map-related issues, which are decided by the Chief Cartographer. With most of its objectives already accomplished, there is good chance that the Convention might close soon, unless other outstanding issues are raised.

Cabinet Declares International Republic of Cake
by Punchwood

On the 16th of March residents were greeted by a new World Factbook Entry stating that The South Pacific will be reorganised into an International Republic of Cake. It also stated that all Pie Supporters shall face trial in the High Court for “crimes against the region.”

The move was caused due to the long fought war in The South Pacific splitting people into two different camps “Team Pie” and “Team Cake.” Cabinet sources tell us that to end the bloodshed the current Minister for Regional Affairs, Punchwood took it upon himself to declare the new regime stating that he believe what he did was right and that the Cabinet would back him due to a majority of them being Cake supporters.

A region-wide telegram was sent out on the same day urging clam, and to notify the Cabinet of any known Pie supporters. It also warned residents not to approach Pie Supporter due to them being “aggressive.” It ended stating that another telegram would soon be sent out with new developments and known pie supporters.

Public opinion is hard to tell, some have clearly back the move showing their support on the RMB. While pie supporters have shown their opposition to the move and others stating they wish to remain neutral.

Southern Journal
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Issue XIV

Postby Southern Journal » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:44 pm

TOP STORY: GREAT COUNCIL WANTS PRIME MINISTER, MORE IN-GAME PARTICIPATION
by Roavin

Citizens involved in heated discussion

With overwhelming consensus, the Great Council plans to create a prime minister position for the Cabinet. The new position is intended to head the Cabinet instead of the Delegate, who would then focus more on game-side issues. The proposal stems from discussion about better separation of powers between the branches of government during the “Broad Solutions” phase of the council between April 2 and April 17.

Also in wide agreement is strengthening the relationship between the in-game community and the forum community. Delegate and Chair of the Great Council Tsunamy states “I'm especially excited about the discussions to have better representations from in-game active nations. It's been something I've pushed for a while now, so I'm hopeful it can finally come to fruition”. However, specific solutions remain hotly debated - various suggestions such as proportional representation in the Assembly or a bicameral system have received both praise and criticism.

In response to security concerns after a coup attempt earlier this year, changes to the security institutions have been debated. Utilizing a higher endorsement cap in-game to hinder large-scale ejections has been generally met favorably, while the exact role of the CSS in the future is still being decided upon.

Further discussions revolve around revamping the citizenship system, using election commissions, and addressing forum moderation.

On April 17, the Chairs of the Great Council declared the start of the draft phase. Currently, the council is voting on whether to work with full drafts or partial drafts; at the time of this writing, the current results favors full drafts slightly (53%). Several members have already expressed intent to work on drafts while the vote is ongoing.

As the vote draws to a close, another surge of activity can be expected drafting, debating, and ultimately bringing the new laws to a vote for all citizens. Delegate Tsunamy is optimistic, stating “[We] still have a lot of work ahead of us with actually ironing the the details, but I think the region and all involved are in a good place.”

"I see TSP as a great place to be right now"
An Interview with Vice Delegate Drugged Monkeys

Vice Delegate Drugged Monkeys in his usual state

Drugged Monkeys is no stranger to the executive branch. He has served multiple times as Minister of the Army and as member of the Committee for State Security, which gives him an intricate knowledge of military gameplay and regional security. He had been on an informal hiatus until the recent coup, when he returned to full activity defending the Coalition, the second such time, after being a prominent member of the opposition to Milograd in 2013. In his current position as Vice Delegate, he has led the efforts to reform the government at the Great Council and has devoted himself to keep the citizenship roster updated and the CSS an effective institution in these changing times.

He recently agreed to set aside some time in his busy schedule, to answer a few questions about his current role and his hopes for the region in the near future.

You had been chronically inactive before this year, but during the recent coup you were at the frontlines, constantly defending the Coalition. How would you describe your rise from citizen to Vice Delegate?

Well for me this isn't the first time I've had to deal with a coup in TSP. Having been a former Cabinet member on several occasions. and a longtime citizen here, it was only natural for me to stand up and defend the Coalition. I'd hope that others may do the same if the events ever repeat themselves, I was just doing what I thought every citizen of the Coalition should do. As for becoming Vice Delegate, it all happened so fast that I'm not really sure how to describe it. But I will say it has been interesting.

What have been your main priorities and duties as Vice Delegate?

Citizenship, CSS, and the Great Council. Citizenship is an important part of how TSP operates, so that has received a lot of my attention. The CSS is led by the Vice Delegate, so this has been something I have put some time into as well. The Great Council has been the biggest priority of myself, and the rest of the cabinet, trying to make sure it goes as smooth as possible and follows a timely schedule.

You had already served in the Cabinet, most recently as Minister of the Army. Do you notice any differences between the Cabinet then and the Cabinet now?

I see a lot of new faces that are becoming involved in regional politics! That is the biggest difference I have noticed. Back when I was heavily involved in regional government it seemed to be a revolving door of the same people switching positions. New faces and new ideas are the only way we will progress into the future.

What are the priorities of the Cabinet, besides moving the Great Council forward?

While some have described this as a caretaker government, I think now it has become much more than that. Since we have all been in office for so long now I think our priorities have shifted back to our actual campaign promises instead of "Let's just get the GC over with and hold new elections". Everone is more focused on their respective office's requirements, while also committing to constant cabinet discussions about any hot topics in the region.

How do you think the Great Council is doing so far?

I think we started a little late but that wasn't too big of an issue, although we may have lost some interest. The pace of the GC has been doing ok as well, with each stage ending in a timely manner. However, recently we hit a snag on how we would like to proceed with presenting drafts of ideas. This should be resolved soon and the GC should be able to finish within a reasonable time frame.

What are the most pressing issues that should be addressed at this point?

I believe Regional Involvement and Administrator Accountability are the two biggest issues under discussion.

Aside from the actual reforms, what lessons should we take from the Great Council, now that it enters its final stages?

Be nice. Don't take everything so personal. The GC has been an excellent example of how one should handle themselves in an Assembly discussion.

How much will this Great Council change the region?

It's too hard to say how much the GC will change the region. People have to be willing to accept change for it to actually work. I hope this has some positive effect on the region, but we will have to wait and see.

Is there anything beyond legal reform that we should change in the region?

Regional Security. Our current system is a little on the rough side and could use a good overhaul.

How do you see the region now? How would you like to see it by the end of this year?

I see TSP as a great place to be right now, as I did when I first came here. I would like to still see it that way at the end of the year. We can change legislation and government, but we will never change the heart of The South Pacific.

Trouble in Osiris
by Punchwood

Orians awoke on April 18 to the news that outgoing Pharaoh Tim Stark and Cormac Montresor-Stark had declared the establishment of a Transitional Government. This measure was taken after The Almighty Jesus Whale was elected as Pharaoh and survived an immediate recall, aming accusations of corruption due to vote buying, in exchange for executive appointments.

Cormac Montresor-Stark has been designated Pharaoh of the Transitional Government with the blessing of Tim Stark and former Pharaohs Koth and Joshua Bluteisen, as part of a system where the outgoing leader would appoint their successor. In contrast, former Pharaoh and renowned diplomat Joshua Ravenclaw has expressed serious concern about this turn of events and stated that this kind of behaviour was not what he had in mind when he agreed to work within the Osiris Fraternal Order, when it was first established.

The Assembly is currently debating behind closed doors a response to what the interregional community overwhelmingly calls a coup, though what how exactly that debate is going remains a mystery. It appears that the Cabinet has chosen to remain neutral in the meantime, while sources close to it say an internal discussion is still ongoing, likely pending the result of the Assembly debate.

With formal relations frozen at little more than mutual courtesy since early 2014, some are suggesting that the South Pacific should let both factions solve their own issues. Others argue that the South Pacific should work to uphold democracy in its sister regions. A regional poll has shown that most gameside residents would rather not get involved in this issue.

TWP Celebrates Autism Awareness Week
by Ryccia

The West Pacific's World Factbook Entry

The West Pacific has been celebrating its Autism Awareness Week, which primarily lasted from April 14 to April 20. This was an idea from Benjamin Mark, a West Pacific who was diagnosed with autism.

In consequence, their World Factbook Entry was, and to this date still is, painted with blue, associated with the autism spectrum. The West Pacific also invited other regions to participate in the celebration, with the goal of spreading awareness. This has been well received in several regions, some like Warzone Airspace and HYDRA Command joining in the celebration. The main advertising dispatch has garnered as many as 128 upvotes thus far.

EDITORIAL: Renewing our Commitment
by Kringalia

As the Southern Journal makes its return to full activity with the publication of bimonthly issues, it does us good to remember the values under which it was founded, and reinforce our commitment to upholding them above all else. These values are what made this newspaper the preeminent news source in the modern South Pacific and an excellent venue for open debate and the free exchange of information.

The Journal was founded in September 2014, at a time when there was no media of any kind in the region, with the purpose of informing citizens of recent happenings and increasing the likelihood that information would be exchanged freely among citizens and between the forum and the gameside region. In pursuance of this goal, it was imperative that issues be publish both forumside and gameside, and that the editorial line remain unbiased, free from undue interference from government institutions or subject to the interests of its officials, regardless of how inconvenient any news might be.

That is a careful balance to strike for a newspaper owing its very existence to the Ministry of Regional Affairs, an institution led by government officials with an understandable stake in the success of their endeavours or seeking to bolster support for government actions. Examples of this would be any temptation to avoid reporting a scandal involving a popular official or publishing seemingly objective pieces that actually praised the Coalition during the recent coup, even if the latter might initially seem, to some, more tempting and necessary.

As much as the individual writers have their particular views, the Journal must remain above the fray, either reporting objectively or providing both sides of an issue the chance to have their say, regardless of how appealing or repellent we could find them. That is because our institutional interest is not the advancement of certain views or the publication of propaganda. Our aim should be to inform the region as objectively as possible, to lay out the facts, so each can make their own determination. We must shape the agenda only insofar as we enable others to take action, but the nature of their action must be their own choice, not tampered or influenced by any particular intent on our part.

In reading this issue and all that will follow, let us remember the kind of quality journalism that has defined all our writings so far and renew our commitment to that cause, so that the practice will remain one dominated by an ethical code and personal standards, rather than political conveniences and personal views. We owe that to ourselves, but most importantly, to the region we seek to inform, and the democracy that has thrived in it.

OPINION: We Come In Peace
by Sandaoguo

At the start of April, the Gameplay world faced yet another departing: Game Admins decided it was time to pursue damnatio memoriae against the raider groups DEN and Cimmerian Mercenaries. Earlier in the year, the United Imperial Armed Forces dissolved due to infighting. Prior to that, the United Defenders League continued its slow self-inflicted death, and the Founderless Regions Alliance continued being a group much talked about but little seen. The military forces of Game-Created Regions are nothing to write home about, either, of course.

Perhaps it is just because I was directly involved back then, but Gameplay seems to be dead compared to the zenith of its intrigue during the autumn of 2015. The South Pacific went from backwater to middling power, using diplomacy as our main tool. With the vacuum of power that doesn’t seem to be filling up anytime soon, we have an opportunity to return to the diplomatic chessboard. But what kind of power should the island paradise be?

Game Admins plan on introducing an annexation feature sometime in the future. This feature will be used by regions to denote “control” by a metropole. Naturally, raiders and Imperialists will delight in this feature. But I argue that we can, too. The movers and shakers of South Pacifican politics ought to seriously consider the possibility of the Coalition’s position in the Great Game, lest we be left behind altogether or relegated once again to irrelevant backwater.

Is this a call for imperialism? Perhaps. I would argue imperialism is a term owned by the gameplay style of the United Imperial Armed Forces and its former constituent regions. It’s a destructive form of play that often leaves the invaded regions barren and broken. But a more benevolent power could use something like the annexation feature not to collect dusty trophies, but to expand its cultural and diplomatic influence across the game in a way that fosters activity rather than hampers it.

I do not envision a Coalition military that forcefully captures regions and conscripts its people into its empire. Rather, we should start building an infrastructure that is attractive to small regions – particularly regions without their own developed culture, history, customs, etc. Carrot, not stick. Federation, not empire.

When annexation is finally implemented, the game will be changed by adding this question: Should we join this large alliance, or go out on our own? This is a common trope in many MMOs: guilds in World of Warcraft; corporations and alliances in EVE Online. Perhaps I’m too optimistic, but I expect that the annexation feature can lead to this style of gameplay having a larger role in NationStates. It’s a far way off, but The South Pacific should be thinking now about what the future holds. As a Game-Created Region, we are offered a special seat of power. Will we utilize it, or isolate ourselves from it?

Benevolent Thomas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benevolent Thomas » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:31 pm

Southern Journal wrote:OPINION: We Come In Peace
by Sandaoguo

At the start of April, the Gameplay world faced yet another departing: Game Admins decided it was time to pursue damnatio memoriae against the raider groups DEN and Cimmerian Mercenaries. Earlier in the year, the United Imperial Armed Forces dissolved due to infighting. Prior to that, the United Defenders League continued its slow self-inflicted death, and the Founderless Regions Alliance continued being a group much talked about but little seen. The military forces of Game-Created Regions are nothing to write home about, either, of course.

Perhaps it is just because I was directly involved back then, but Gameplay seems to be dead compared to the zenith of its intrigue during the autumn of 2015. The South Pacific went from backwater to middling power, using diplomacy as our main tool. With the vacuum of power that doesn’t seem to be filling up anytime soon, we have an opportunity to return to the diplomatic chessboard. But what kind of power should the island paradise be?

I don't think we've been playing the same game. I'd say GP is far more interesting now than it was in the fall. There were no ongoing GCR coups then and all of the military might was centralized in just a few groups. Now you see a decentralization of power on both sides, leading to the (re)creation of more organizations which is leading to more dynamic gameplay. Admins have also been promising a new feature to be implemented that seeks to eliminate barriers of entry. There is also this new sexy coup in town that has seen invaders, independents, imperialists and defenders alike vowing to take it down. If the government in exile can gather all of these resources that have been pledged to assist them and rally them all together, we could see one of the largest update operations most of us will ever see.
Ballotonia wrote:Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong with a game if it willfully allows the destruction of longtime player communities in favor of kids whose sole purpose is to enjoy ruining the game for others.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Southern Journal - Issue XIV: Prime Minister in TSP?

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:50 pm

I don't think we've seen a decentralization of power so much as an absence of it altogether.

The Gameplay world of 2015 didn't need GCR coups to be interesting or active. We had diplomatic conferences, shaping and reshaping of alliances, and a greater "Cold War" that made things interesting the cost of physically tearing governments and communities apart. If one coup after the other is what we have to live for in 2016, that's really depressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:54 pm

Benevolent Thomas wrote:There is also this new sexy coup in town that has seen invaders, independents, imperialists and defenders alike vowing to take it down. If the government in exile can gather all of these resources that have been pledged to assist them and rally them all together, we could see one of the largest update operations most of us will ever see.

The'res a key word in your post that determines whether it becomes a very significant Gameplay event, or a huge lost chance by the government in exile:
If
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Benevolent Thomas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benevolent Thomas » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:24 pm

Ridersyl wrote:
Benevolent Thomas wrote:There is also this new sexy coup in town that has seen invaders, independents, imperialists and defenders alike vowing to take it down. If the government in exile can gather all of these resources that have been pledged to assist them and rally them all together, we could see one of the largest update operations most of us will ever see.

The'res a key word in your post that determines whether it becomes a very significant Gameplay event, or a huge lost chance by the government in exile:
If

Yup. It was not a coincidence that I used that word ;)

Also, I don't know how GR fails to see the very interesting dynamics at play in GP at the moment. Auralia and HYDRA Command are emerging as invader powers while Unknown is looking to get back into the game. Relations between raider regions/organizations are being tested as well as their relationships with independents/imperialists. Kingdom of Alexndria is looking to make a splash with its RLA in the independent realm. Defenders are enjoying a new enthusiasm which has seen the addition of a combination of new and old faces.

I don't believe we have to rely on coups to keep generating activity, but the political ramifications of this specific coup in Osiris could shape the perceptions and even the relationships groups have about one another. I think GP has been turned on its head and we will continue to see interesting developments well into the summer.
Ballotonia wrote:Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong with a game if it willfully allows the destruction of longtime player communities in favor of kids whose sole purpose is to enjoy ruining the game for others.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Re: Southern Journal - Issue XIV: Prime Minister in TSP?

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:02 pm

I don't see at all, you're right. I see a relatively small level of activity that hasn't resulted in greater Gameplay activity. Alliances aren't fundamentally shifting. And if they are, it's not happening visibly, which means it's not really affecting a large part of the community.

The war between defenders (and sympathizers) and the Independent-imperialist sphere was a huge driver force of activity in almost every part of Gameplay. He affected every debate and every region, pretty much.

Where is this defender enthusiasm? What major operatives have been happening? There haven't been any, as far as I can tell. Again, if there's a moving dynamic among the anemic defender community, it's not visible.

Relations between raider groups are being redefined by the deletion of one, and the repercussions of that. But is that driving activity, or are they simply figuring out a way to settle into a game with two fewer groups and a dearth of skilled leaders?

Settling back into the defender vs raider war would be great for Gameplay. There needs to be a larger narrative. You may have individual groups with their own activity, but there is a difference between that and an active Gameplay community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elegarth
Envoy

Founded: Feb 08, 2006
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Elegarth » Wed May 04, 2016 7:40 pm

Late is Bette than never: thank you guys for acknowledging our awareness week! We will be surely rising similar events in the near future
Elegarth, The Seeker of Power
Royal Duke of The West Pacific
Patio Emperor of The West Pacific
Former Dragon Delegate of The West Pacific

The Delegarth

Icecream Princess
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Icecream Princess » Wed May 04, 2016 8:17 pm

Shockingly, I am with Glen-Rhodes on this one. There has been a dearth of any meaningful gameplay lately besides the Osiris coup and mod stuff caused by cheating. I think that regions and those supporting various ideologies have been more isolationist than in the recent past and that emerging regions simply haven't had an impact in NS. Where are the big raids, where are the big defenses? There are no big GCR battlegrounds for ideological supremacy either. Lazarus has been couped twice and won by the defenders who only engaged in the first coup. TSP is doing its thing etc etc

Kringalia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 03, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kringalia » Wed May 04, 2016 8:37 pm

I must admit I generally like it when TSP does its own thing. It'd be happy if we just focused on cultural and roleplay stuff.
Chief Justice of the South Pacific
Delegate of the South Pacific (Apr - Dec 2014)

Interviewed Max Barry | Tuesday Couper | Commended by WASC #422

Southern Journal
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Issue XV

Postby Southern Journal » Fri May 13, 2016 8:47 pm

TOP STORY: TWO DRAFTS REMAINING AS GREAT COUNCIL APPROACHES VOTING PHASE
by Roavin

Sandaoguo’s working group preparing their draft

Two full drafts of the entire set of laws continue to be debated by citizens. Delegate and Chair of the Great Council Tsunamy presented his draft on April 28th, with Sandaoguo presenting another draft by an as yet unnamed working group a mere 23 hours later.

Discussions remain about the in-game endorsement and influence requirements of officers for eligibility in the respective draft’s security institutions. The Tsumamy draft eschews explicit requirements further than World Assembly membership, while the working group draft sets strict numeric bounds for entry into and maintenance of a security officer position.

Both drafts address many of the previously agreed upon broad solutions in very similar ways, among them eliminating the concept of citizenship in favor of legislator status, introducing a new Prime Minister position to replace the Delegate’s government duties, and electing the Delegate via a gameside poll.

Differences between the drafts include the recall procedure for administrators, with the Tsunamy draft proposing an Assembly vote, while Sandaoguo and his working group prefer that the Court prove abuse of power allegations. Furthermore, Tsunamy’s draft proposes that bills affecting the gameside region must additionally be voted upon by a regional poll. The working group has instead proposed a weighted vote of 20% by a Local Council representative on any bill being voted upon in the Assembly.

The nascent party Alliance for the Preservation of the Coalition (APC) had proposed the first draft to the Great Council on April 24th, but has since retracted it. Its Chair Omega stated that “both remaining drafts are high quality and would serve our region”, but later endorsed Tsunamy's draft.

Voting is tentatively slated to begin on May 20th.

Interview with Tsunamy and Sandaoguo

The Southern Journal sat down with Tsunamy and Sandaoguo, the authors of the two drafts of laws currently being debated in the Great Council. Tsunamy is no stranger to this region, having joined in early 2003, and currently serving his third non-consecutive term as Delegate. Sandaoguo joined the region in 2013 and has since served as Chair of the Assembly, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Justice.

What motivated you to write a draft for the Great Council?

Tsunamy: When I drafted my version, we only has one proposal, so I thought it would be productive to have more voices in the process.

Sandaoguo: Rewriting our laws has been a side project of mine for a while now, prior to the Great Council. I've felt that our laws are disorganized and poorly formatted, despite the stated effort by former governments to write laws that were easily understandable. I've always thought Europeia had the most well organized and best formatted laws in the game, and that provided a lot of inspiration. As for direct motivation, though, it's really important to me that the the new laws have a lot of input from people who didn't see it 'right' to coup the region. We had fought against a coup and won (against all odds) thanks to some high-level defections. So the idea of coup participants leading the rewriting of our laws really bothered me, and it was a big possibility that would happen. Not that they couldn't have some good ideas-- but that I felt it was fundamentally wrong to let that happen. So I sat down and started writing, thinking that my efforts probably wouldn't pay off, but it was worth the shot. I didn't write with the mindset of punishing anybody, though. It's always been about creating a better government, which is something I've been arguing for a long time now.

Did you collaborate with anybody else?

Tsunamy: Nope — just me.

Sandaoguo: Yes. Early drafts included many people I no longer remember. The core draft presented was written largely by myself and Roavin, with contributions and ideas from several other players.

The current drafts vary wildly in their approaches, from a conservative modification of existing laws to a rewrite and reformatting of all laws. What made you choose that particular approach?

Tsunamy: Well, frankly, I don't believe we needed a drastic overall and that tweaks could fix the major problems. We have this idea as a region that we need wild, sweeping changes and that's rarely the answer. And, it's certainly not the recipe for stability in the region.

Sandaoguo: I think the status quo clearly didn't work. It led to stagnation, gridlock, feelings of resentment, and finally a coup. I want to completely upend the traditions and customs of TSP, so that we can forge a new era. That can't be done with mere edits here and there to the existing laws. I hope we go even further after the Great Council, too!

On the topic of separation of powers, the Great Council decided to separate the Delegate from the role as head of the government. This is reflected in all three drafts. How do you see the former duties of the Delegate split up between the Delegate and the Prime Minister/Chancellor in practice?

Tsunamy: Personally, I see most of the day-to-day governmental activities run by the PM with the delegate dealing with activity and other in-game issues.

Sandaoguo: In practice, I think the Delegate will almost always be somebody who has more connection to the RMB than to the forum. That will be the litmus test. With that reality, I didn't want to grant the Delegate too much power over the forum community. I firmly believe we are two separate communities, with vast differences in interests, culture, and wants. While we can build bridges, it's a mistake to try to merge everything together into a seamless unit. The Delegate should preside over the RMB, and the Prime Minister over the forum. Because of the game position's role, the Delegate must be involved in security aspects of the region, though.

In the future, do you see the Cabinet continue as a collective decision-making body?

Tsunamy: I imagine it will be and I think a lot of the region wants it that way.

Sandaoguo: This has always been a contention in our system. The Cabinet member are elected separately, and can be elected based on different and opposing platforms. In the past year, we've had more of those Cabinets than ones that are all on the same page. I don't think switching to the Prime Minister system will change that, really. The role of the Cabinet is largely the same as it was before. This is an issue that we'll have to fix sooner or later, but the appetite for the real fixes (like appointed Cabinets or doing away with the Cabinet system altogether) isn't there yet.

Incorporating game-side opinion, another Great Council topic, is addressed quite differently across the drafts. What is your approach, and why is it better than the other approaches?

Tsunamy: My draft was to include parts that the in-game active nations would use without throwing too much at them. Having a say over the delegate is the most important part of the game for them — the suppressing of posts and helping keep the RMB active and engaged.

I'm ecstatic that other plans have additional abilities for the RMB-active nations. I've long been an advocate for greater say and I'd be happy with my plan or the Working Group's Plan. Both give a greatly say to the in-game nations.

Sandaoguo: My approach is devolution. Following my belief that we're two separate communities, I think it's better to devolve issues to the RMB community when those issues are largely about them. I'm greatly opposed to bicameral systems, or even a grand legislature idea, where the RMB community has a veto over laws passed on the forum. While others see that as an ideal way to include the RMB, I see that as forcing one of the two communities to assimilate into the other.

Having survived a coup attempt in the region just a few months ago, regional security is a concern among citizens. The Great Council promises to deliver changes to this effect. What do you foresee as necessary steps to keep the Coalition secure, not just during, but also beyond, the Great Council?

Tsunamy: We really need to broaden the amount of people involved. In my draft, I delineated that seven to 10 nations would be in the CSS with the idea of building greater endorsements and influence for more nations.

Sandaoguo: I think we need to start taking the security institutions seriously. If somebody doesn't have the chops, we shouldn't add them just because they're likable or they have gameside connections, or whatever. I also think anybody who has participated in a coup cannot possibly be trusted to fight against one in the future. We need people who believe in the fabric of their being that no coup is ever justified, and have the judgement necessary to prevent and fight against them. In my Charter, as well, the CRS is given the power necessary to actually fight. In Hileville and the rogue Cabinet's coup, the CSS lacked the legal tools allowing it to fight effectively.

What is one thing that one of the other drafts does extremely well in your opinion?

Tsunamy: I think the Working Group's Draft did a great job of rethinking the entire governmental structure and included many points discussed in the Great Council.

Sandaoguo: I appreciate that Tsu's draft splits the laws up.

What is the one thing people should know about your draft? What makes it awesome?

Tsunamy: I think my draft is useful since it really is all that different than what we're using now. We won't have to fight many of the same battles and feel out the laws since we've already done a lot of it. Again, since my draft is tinkering rather than radical change, we won't all be learning a whole new government and can use many things we've already litigated.  

Sandaoguo: Well, I think the draft I posted is very well thought out. It introduces an entirely new system of government, and fixes many of the issues we've had in the past. I also think it's pretty, haha :P

Finally, the most important question: Cake or Pie?

Tsunamy: Cake ... of course.

Sandaoguo: Pie <3

Thank you for your time!

ROLEPLAY - Farengeto Civil War: Country divided
by Ryccia

In blue areas controlled by Reyist forces. In red forces where rebels forces or sympathisers are active.

Farengeto City, Farengeto - War has broken out in Farengeto.

Opposing the government of President Maximilien Rey are the Parliamentary Coalition and the Free Farengeto Alliance. Led by former Prime Minister Christopher Tatham and former President Percy Larue, both groups accuse President Rey of being an authoritarian ruler and of trying to increase his powers to the point that he would be a dictator. In turn, Reyists accuse both of wanting to topple the legitimate government to increase their own power.

Other factions also fighting Rey are the Communist Party of Farengeto, allegedly supported by Bruuma and Puerto Pollo, the Cephio Nationalists, various groups that demand the independence of the Cephio Islands, and the Nouvelle Alliance, a fascist group led by the imprisoned Murphy Lévêque.

The Federal Union and Ryccia originally supported the Parliamentary Coalition, but after the bombing of the Farengeto Parliament building and subsequent breakout of hostilities, both have stayed neutral. Bruuma allegedly supports the Communist Party, and Kringalia is believed to support President Rey. However, there have been no official statements from nearby governments as to who they might support.

Feelin' the Sern
by Kringalia

Sernie Banders addressing the Cake Workers Association

Government Island. In a move that suddenly and unexpectedly broke the unspoken truce between supporters of cake and pie, renowned city councillor Sernie Banders has taken up the mantle of the cakeist cause, denouncing the monopolistic behaviour of the cake factories and calling for all South Pacificans to have a fair chance of eating the dessert of their choice.

At an improvised rally on the historical Arembee Square, Banders said no cake factory should be too big to fail, promising to bake them up and bring upon a dessert revolution. In further exchanges with those present, he said that the pieletariat was controlling the cake industry for its own benefit, to the denutrition of the region.

He closed his speech with the following call:

Let’s send a message to those in Government Island that enough is enough! We need a dessert revolution in this region, where the people, not the pieletariat or the factory owners, decide what desserts we can eat and how much we can eat. With your support, we will transform this region and make it its best.

Banders was constantly interrupted by opposing claims from pie supporters. A pieist named Dark Strait said Mr Banders was no friend of the pieletariat, while an individual who simply identified as a seller of pencil sharpeners claimed cake supporters were violent and elitist. However, the city councillor remained undeterred, and criticised the pieletariat for preventing the South Pacific from “being the only major region not to guarantee equal access to desserts”.

It remains unclear whether Mr Banders will make further appearances, to gather support for anti-pieletarian measures at the City Council.

OPINION: Rebuilding Democracy
by Belschaft

For over thirteen years, The Coalition of The South Pacific has prided itself on being the oldest and greatest democracy in NationStates. More open, more transparent, more willing to accept new ideas, new leadership, dedicated to empowering the in game region to the greatest extent possible. Since the introduction of regional polls we have all possessed the ability to directly transfer elective and legislative power to the in game region in a secure and democratic manner, yet no major region in NationStates has been willing to do so; once again NationStates oldest democracy will lead the way. It is now certain that as a result of the Great Council currently being conducted by TSP’s Assembly every single WA Nation in The South Pacific will be directly enfranchised, granted the right to elect the Delegate of The South Pacific.

This is a major step forward, and one that should be celebrated; it has been a long and hard thought battle to bring us to this point, with numerous political insiders opposed to transferring power away from themselves to the region at large. Particular credit must be given to Delegate Tsunamy, who has been a consistent and prominent voice in support of regional enfranchisement; without his leadership on this issue, we would not be where we are today.

However, we should not be satisfied with “minimalist” reforms, transferring as little power as possible away from government insiders whilst appearing to provide reform. We must continue to demand and campaign for genuine reform, and that means the granting of not only the right to elect the Delegate to regional WA members, but broader enfranchisement including legislative powers. Arguments against such “maximalist” reforms have been presented, but they are fundamentally cynical, anti-democratic and elitist. We have been told that the majority of TSP cannot be trusted to make decisions about its future; that they are ignorant, immature and ill-informed; that they will be susceptible to populist demagoguery. These arguments should be familiar to anyone who has studied the real world suffrage struggles; they were used to oppose granting the vote to women, to non-whites, to the poor. It is an insult to the very principles upon which The Coalition of The South Pacific was founded that such arguments are being made, never mind listened to. The people of TSP should be offended that such arguments have been made to oppose granting them voting rights. We must continue to move forward, in defiance of those cynical voices, and rebuild democracy in The South Pacific; we must demand nothing less than the greatest and most extensive transfer of power to the average player in NationStates history.

I believe that the people of TSP will defy those who think so little of them. They will prove themselves to be more informed, more mature, more invested, than the insiders and elitists think them to be. I believe that once again TSP will rise to the occasion, and prove why it is the oldest and greatest democracy in NationStates.

Disclaimer: this piece is the opinion of its author and does not necessarily reflect the views of the Southern Journal or the Ministry of Regional Affairs.

Southern Journal
Secretary

Ex-Nation

TSP Weekly #23

Postby Southern Journal » Fri May 20, 2016 8:25 pm

Issue #23

TSP Weekly is a weekly newsletter published by the Ministry of Regional Affairs, associated with the Southern Journal, that summarises events in the South Pacific during the past week. It is aimed at those who have an interest in South Pacific events but cannot keep up with them on a regular basis.

• Great Council approaches voting phase
    In accordance with the schedule put forth by Co-Chair Awesomiasa, the Great Council will begin its voting phase tomorrow Saturday. Voting will last for 5 days, and elections for a new regional executive will begin on June 1.
  • Tsunamy withdraws laws draft
    Delegate Tsunamy withdrew today his draft of laws from consideration by the Great Council, throwing his support behind the sole remaining draft, the one drafted by a working group led by former Chair of the Assembly Sandaoguo.
  • Citizens show their talents in “Shameless Self-Promotion” thread
    Citizen Seraph has started calling on South Pacificans to show their talents, calling his thread “a safe place to promote […] how wonderful you all are”. So far, several members have contributed music and videos they have made, with more expected in the near future.
  • Tsunamy marks 100 days
    Yesterday marked the 100th day in the third term of Delegate Tsunamy. Many South Pacificans have congratulated the Delegate on the Regional Message Board. Tsunamy attained the position after a coup attempt by former Delegate Hileville.

ROLEPLAY

• Rey wins the Battle of Gritlis
    In a major victory for loyalist forces, the Farengeto Army beat the rebel Parliamentary Coalition for partial control of the important region of Modia, part of an ongoing war between President Rey and former leaders Lévêque and Larue, among others.
  • SCO repeals ban on Qvait membership
    Following months of rehabilitation and even close cooperation during the Second War, the Southern Council repealed the section of Res. 003 that banned Qvait from membership due to its role in Operation Affirmed. It has since reapplied to the Organisation.
  • Rasmick closes off Sporaltryus
    Chancellor Rasmick has closed off this nation’s borders to most outside contact, in his continued attempts to rebuild and reunify the former Sporaltryus. This move has been condemned by several major powers.
  • Federal Union criminalises emergency lines prank calling
    The Federal Union recently criminalised the act of prank calling emergency lines. The drastic jail times attached to the crime had prompted several foreign personalities to prank call the Union emergency lines, some even during live shows, as a sign of protest.
Written by the Ministry of Regional Affairs

Cormactopia II
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormactopia II » Fri May 20, 2016 9:31 pm

It's nice to see the Great Council will be coming to an end soon with positive results. Congratulations to Delegate Tsunamy for 100 days in office.
Cormac Skollvaldr
Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris (3x)

Awards, Honors, and WA Authorships

"And to the contrary, the game is insufferably boring without Cormac's antics" - Sandaoguo (Glen-Rhodes), 22 September 2016

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Sun May 22, 2016 3:25 pm

I'm actually really looking forward to the prospect of in game elections for the delegacy of such a large region. The results should be interesting.

Southern Journal
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Issue XVI

Postby Southern Journal » Mon May 23, 2016 8:02 pm

TOP STORY: GREAT COUNCIL - ONLY ONE DRAFT, NOW UP FOR VOTE
by Roavin

Citizens waiting to vote

In an unexpected turn of events, Delegate Tsunamy withdrew on May 20 his draft of laws, thereby leaving as the sole contender the draft by Sandaoguo's Working Group. In his statement, Tsunamy said that this was "for the ease of the [Great Council]", but left open the possibility of revisiting his drafts should the remaining option fail its impending vote.

As further stated, Sandaoguo and Tsunamy had discussed several changes to the Working Group drafts, including some proposed by the latter. Indeed, several notable changes had been made in the days leading up to the voting phase, presumably the result of such discussions. For example, the Working Group drafts now include language requiring the consent of the gameside community for laws passed by the Assembly, should they affect them; a key aspect of Tsunamy's own drafts. Other changes stemming from public discussion were made as well, such as a provision for the granting of leave for legislators.

Voting began on May 21, and will conclude five days later. Tsunamy's statement was issued a mere 20 hours before voting began - on such short notice that the ballot prepared by Co-Chair Awesomiasa still contained the Tsunamy drafts as an option. This clerical error was mended shortly after. At the time of publication, the polls show the Working Group drafts winning by a 16-1 margin, against the mandatory option of No Change.

ANALYSIS: The Evolution of Regional Roleplay
by Kringalia

While many have at least a basic notion of the complexities of our regional politics, not many know the complexities of our regional roleplay, or how in recent years it has done from a small an inexperienced community to a diverse and intricate community, whose conflicts and interactions have moved towards increasingly realistic and dynamic events, and with that the promise of a more engaging and immersive roleplay experience.

There is no clear date for the start of the current canon, but for the sake of simplicity, let us assume that it started on October 2014, when Sporaltryus declared war on Qvait, due to the attempts of the former to export communist policies to the latter. Soon this turned into a conflict between capitalist and socialist nations, the latter grouped into an organisation that came to be known as the Southern Socialist Union.

As interesting as this was in its time, the downside is that the theme was very common and what was evidently lacking was any kind of background or underlying motivations behind the actions of each nation. To some extent that is understandable: it was the first major event of the canon, participants were mostly inexperienced, and nations had had no previous contact or backstories to justify their actions prior to and during the war, beyond the familiar ideological confrontation.

Much happened in the following months: systems of alliances were formed, nations experienced serious international crises, and bilateral relations were either strengthened or destroyed, all while new nations constantly started getting involved in the international stage. Events like the Consortium War, Ryccian Civil War, the Government Island Summit and so on were key opportunities for each nation to develop its own interests and positions on the different issues that plagued our region, and with that set the stage for their responses to future events.

Today the world faces the Farengeto Civil War, a conflict between President Maximilien Rey, who took power after a military coup, and several rebels groups, many led by the likes of Percy Larue, Murphy Lévêque and Christopher Tatham, former officials who collaborated with Rey only to be subsequently ousted. Apparently a purely internal conflict, the truth is this war is a perfect example of how far our regional roleplay has gone since the days where capitalists fought socialists, for no other reason than their ideological stances.

Instead, discussions at the heart of the Southern Cooperation Organisation, the largest alliance in the region, show serious divisions between members. While some support Rey and accuse the rebels of sabotaging the legitimate government, others are at the very least expressing serious concerns over the continued legitimacy of the Rey regime. In the months since he took power, Rey has made few friends in the international community, something undesirable given the recentness of the intervention in Ryccia for the exact same instability that now plagues Farengeto.

On a deeper level, we can see that interest, not ideology, is what actually dominates the decisions of the various governments in determining their stance towards Rey. Bruuma is rumoured to be materially supporting communist rebels. Karnetvor and Sedunn are prominent voices in asking for negotiations and a government of national unity, naturally out of principle, but also because they lack any close ties with the Rey government, and would likely enjoy similar or closer ties with Farengeto in the event of a rebel victory. In turn, Kringalia has been a strong supporter of Rey, despite generally being a major voice for democratic governance, because they have enjoyed close ties in areas ranging from international diplomacy to space exploration, a relationship that is not guaranteed to continue being as close under a rebel government.

This is by no means an exhaustive study, nor is it meant to be a revolutionary finding. It is simply meant to be a reminder that these changes are taking place, even when we might consider them obvious or overlook them altogether. If these trends continue, it should be safe to assume that we will see an increasingly more dynamic and immersive roleplay experience, where our responses to different situations will be more realistic and, as a result, the roleplay community will continue to thrive.

Note from the Author: hours after this was originally written, Ryccia landed a small military force on the coast of the Federal Union, prompting strong responses from the Southern Cooperation Organisation. In yet another example of the referenced growing dynamism, the previous crisis took a backseat to a more urgent, though completely unexpected, development.

RYCCIAN CORNER -  Iceland invades Ransei, easily takes over
by Ryccia

Despite this region having 17 countries, the Icelandic Police easily took over

Ransei, Icelandic Empire - Despite having no army, Iceland has taken over a region called Ransei. Even when this region has 17 kingdoms, Icelandic Police were able to take over all of them in a single day. Reports say that these kingdoms only had 6 people with Pokémon as a standing army. Icelandic Police just shot them and were able to take control of entire nations.

Soon after, Iceland declared an empire, entire minds blown at such impossible scenario. It is reported that the entire Danish nation exploded upon hearing this.

In other reports, Greeland's happiness levels rose by 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000% and the suicide rate has dropped to -964 654 756 656 305 218%. Greenland's HDI is now 775 475 385 364 376,85, higher than that of any other country on Earth.

OPINION: Regional Affairs - What has been done?
by Punchwood

On the 23rd of February, almost three months ago, I was officially elected Minister of Regional Affairs. After running for the office three times, I had been finally elected on one issue: to bring back life to the Fellowship Programme. And I believe that, to a point, I have accomplished that.

Kris [Kringle] is back in the Ministry as a Deputy, helping things get done in a timely manner. Roavin, who has just been in the Ministry for a month, is already a Deputy and has very much taken control of the Southern Journal, and makes sure it gets published every two weeks, and that there is much more in it than ever before. Ryccia has helped out whenever he can, and has started planning a regional festival. Omega has begun planning the South Pacific Awards. Siberian, who wants to finally get the Radio Project up and running. Plus everyone else in the Ministry who does their bit to help out and get things done. These are the people who have brought, and are bringing, life back to the Fellowship and to the Ministry.

The Southern Journal is now back in motion, releasing new issues on a regular basis, and it has much more content than it has ever had. Resident Spotlights are starting to make their way back and soon we'll have our very first Cabinet's Questions. There is planning going ahead for the South Pacific's very own Award Ceremony, and though I wasn't keen on a regional festival, or even planning for one, that has been going on too. There are experienced players in the Advisory Council, and there is an updated list of jobs for Fellows to work at.

Sure, I haven't done nearly as much as I would have wanted or expected to do. Hell, I thought this job would be easy, and it really isn't. Now I have the utmost respect for all my predecessors. However, I do still believe that my main concern has been dealth with. I can't take all the credit for myself; I don't really think I can take much of it for myself. The real people who have helped get the Ministry working again are the people who work in the Ministry, and I want to give my thanks to all who have worked here before, and especially to those who are working in it now. While the Ministry may not be the great big machine it once was, its engine has started up again, and that can and will lead to many possibilities in the next term, and to all those after it.

Disclaimer: this publication is the opinion of its author and does not necessarily reflect the views of the Southern Journal or the Ministry of Regional Affairs.
Last edited by Southern Journal on Mon May 23, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Southern Journal
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Issue XX

Postby Southern Journal » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:12 pm

Issue XX
Special Edition - Part I

TOP STORY: DELEGATE ELECTION IN THE SOUTH PACIFIC

On January 15, 2017 the official TSP Delegate election results were announced on the forums and RMB. Incumbent, Tsunamy, won the election in a landslide with 86 votes from WA nations in the region. Sandaoguo / Glen-Rhodes received 23 WA votes.

The RMB WA voting phase for the Delegate position, now a six month term, is a new process in TSP that began last summer after the Great Council and followed the first phase which was an IRV vote on the forums. The use of IRV confused some voters and during the election an Assembly debate began in which many voters, including candidates, supported switching to a more suitable system for choosing two candidates such as STV. It remains to be seen whether the system will be changed.

The new system and changes to the delegate position have really transitioned the position from one of political leadership to one, first and foremost, for the security of the region, but also as a social figurehead. The Southern Journal interviewed both Tsunamy and Sandaoguo / Glen-Rhodes about the changes that have occurred in governance in the South Pacific over the course of the past two years.

Interview with Tsunamy, Delegate of the South Pacific

How do you feel about winning the election?

It's great. We had a lot of interest in this election and I'm really honored to have won the trust of the region again.

How long have you been in TSP? How is today different from when you started? What do you like most about what has changed? What do you remember nostalgically from the past?

I've been in TSP for my entire existence in NS, which started in 2003. There were a couple years where I stepped away, but I've been consistently back since 2013.

I think the biggest change is just the development throughout. I mean, in 2003 we really didn't [know] where this was going to go or even how long the game was going to last. Since it was really just a marketing ploy, I don't think anyone thought it would last this long. So really the growth into regions with specific and long-lasting identities and relationships really changed the face of the game.

There have also been developments in the platform which has certainly changed the game, such as the adoption of influence, which wasn't around in 2003.

I'm not sure if there's something I remember nostalgically, per se, but one of my favorite memories was the Milo coup of the region. It really exemplified the region and how people care about it when big names from the past came back to help out.

How do you see the next six months unfolding under your delegacy?

I hope the next six months will be relatively stable and uneventful. With the changes made to the role of the delegate, I don't have a lot of political power so really my role is to hold down the fort so DM (or whoever the PM is) can take the lead.

What do you believe are the roles and responsibilities of delegates?

That's a good question since it's currently in flux. I see the delegate role, I suppose, mostly as a good host. Someone friendly and willing to direct people and mix it up when needed. But really, just someone making it possible for others to do what they want in the region and game.

Several new players would love to be delegate of TSP, what do you think about this? Is the delegate position becoming a security position rather than a position for new people?

So, it would never have been my preference of the delegate to be elected. The position has so much power and potential to upend the community that I think democratically electing the delegate was/is always a risky venture. That's not to say that the delegacy shouldn't change hands, but it's important for the delegate to be someone with long-term trust in the region and who we know isn't going to attempt to usurp the laws and such of the region. Unlike UCRs where a founder can take control, we don't have the option. As such, we need to be a bit more careful about who takes the position. I've had new nations TG me about how they can become delegate and my answer is always the same -- start out in other positions and build some knowledge and trust before you take on being delegate.

Would you ever support term limits on becoming delegate?

I'm not sure. One of the things I struggled with this last election was when is it time for me to step aside to let new blood into the seat. Of course, I'm a huge fan of Fudgie who was delegate for more than three years. I think if people are happy with the way things are going, do we really want to force the risk and the change?

One thing I liked about the old system was the vice-delegate position...do you think it might make a comeback at some point?

I doubt it. It seems completely unneeded. I had two vice delegates during my first turn at delegate and, while both were great, at times there just wasn't a lot for them to do.

How did you like the NS World Fair? Did you get your fortune told, a tattoo, or a drink in TSP’s regional booth :P?

I've been exploring. It seems like a great time. I hope to get to explore more.

What was your NSWF lecture about?

I'm hoping to use my lecture for the basis of a research project. Essentially, I've been thinking a lot about how people develop their identities in game, how that differs (or doesn't) from the RL personality, and how that affects what region they end up in. I hope the lecture will be a bit about how others understand their in-game personality separate from their NS personas.

Finally, what is one question I haven’t asked that you’d like to answer?

My favorite spice is cinnamon. :D

Yum, now I’m thinking of cinnamon rolls :P

VISITOR'S ACCOUNT: The South Pacific at the Nation States World Fair

This year the South Pacific partook in the Nation States World Fair, hosted by Todd McCloud and Almo, and had a regional booth that showed off our particular talents to a host of other regions including the major feeders and sinkers. There was some political controversy before NSWF even began due to the founder of The Allied States sending an immature and offensive message, that referenced Hitler, to the delegate of Europeia. Several regions threatened to boycott the fair before the host was changed.

TSP's booth included the classic Lampshade Bar and Grill which was the site of some unruly shenanigans; MS Paint Art requests by Roavin, who was in high demand; and Imki's Inks, where Imki / Imkihca / Imkitopia created custom tattoos. There was also Cake-onut or Pie-napple where cake won 9 to 7. Seraph / Erinor shared an excerpt from the popular TSP horror story The House of Lampshades, Escade told NSers their fortunes. And the one line collaborative story A Night in the South Pacific turned into a horror story very quickly.

Delegate and prominent TSPer Tsunamy gave a lecture titled “Questions of Identity: How do we become 'us' in NationStates?” Tsunamy hopes to conduct a large scale interdisciplinary communications project that examines the relationship between identities and personas in NationStates.

Local Council leader Belschaft gave a lecture titled “Making Government Accountable: Polls, Dispatches and Regional Affairs.” Belschaft stated that, “We have the same old decision making process, the same old power structures. While we have new tools that allow us to organise our community differently, in a way that improves accountability and allows more people to have a say, we haven't done that.” The lecture marks a shift in Belschaft’s views on the role and centrality of of government over the past few years.

When I (Escade) first entered TSP, in April of 2013, the region focused on forum government to the exclusivity of the RMB. Interactions between the government and the game side community were minimal and relegated to telegrams regarding endorsements. Now we see a healthier balance where delegate Tsunamy serves to meet and greet players along with cabinet members and prominent forum users.

Finally, the outstanding thread from which to steal for our regional forum, from this year's NSWF, was UCR Forest's Fortunately / Unfortunately thread which was a delightful variation on the one line collaborative story. In addition, Forest is one of the small UCRs that has a great map, timeline of history and a very dedicated cultural theme.

Overall, the fair did seem more subdued this year but this may be a result of a confluence of factors including the associated drama and the timing. Like always, however, the fair is a fun and fresh way to meet people in other regions and to display the best and brightest of your own.

TSP Winter 2016 Cabinet Exit Interviews - Roavin, Minister of Military Affairs

As elections are complete in TSP for the Spring 2017 term, we interview exiting cabinet members about their terms.

When did you start in NS? How did you get into TSP?

Roavin was founded on April 5, 2016 - right here in the South Pacific! I was accepted very graciously into the community by a variety of people, and even though I looked around a bit to see what other places looked like, nothing was even close to feeling like "home" like the South Pacific did. So, I stayed here, and I don't regret it one bit.

What is your current position? Have you held any other positions in the TSP government?

Currently, I'm the Minister of Military Affairs, a job that (I think) suits me pretty well. Previously, I was the Minister of Regional Affairs, but a pretty bad one at that.

What do you think the role of the Minister of Military Affairs is? What are qualities that make a good MoMA? What kinds of experiences should a MoMA have?

The Minister of Military Affairs is the civilian leader of the South Pacific Special Forces. Next to being on the General Corps ex officio when it comes to making decisions regarding both day-to-day and longer term operation of the military, the minister works on recruitment, the roster, coordination with the MoFA, and other "paperwork" duties.

Actual experience in gameplay isn't necessary, that's what the General Corps is there for, but a good MoMA absolutely needs to exude good leadership. As we have it set up in our laws, actually participating in military operations is optional for a MoMA, but in practice I'd argue that it's good leadership when the leader is in the trench fighting with the others. Furthermore, each soldier is different - they should all be held to the same standard, but there's wiggle room in how to get them there, and a good leader will try to tickle the best out of each in whichever way fits best for that individual.

What are some of your key accomplishments this term?

While I was unfortunately not able to expand the roster of SPSF as I would have liked, I'm quite pleased that the people that we do have are dedicated, and very good at what they do. Barely any defensive operations in the past months happened without SPSF contributions in some form.

What projects or goals that you would still like to implement in the future?

Well, my term is almost over and I'm not seeking reelection, so I'm unlikely to be able to! I hope for my successor to implement better training facilities and in general increase the size of our roster.

In terms of Military Affairs, what are your views on military alignment in TSP?

Primarily defensive, but offensive against hate - that's what I laid out in my campaign and we've been doing that pretty well. I believe that is the way for TSP to move forward as well. By not succumbing to the false claims of "independence" that would have militaries not pick a side for fear of offending anybody, we have picked a side and therefore have much more activity than we would otherwise, just as I predicted.

Is there anything you would like to share about your experiences as MoMA?

It's a wonderful feeling when a fellow SPSF soldier gets the Delegacy during a liberation with a bunch of other people. But in general, there are many, many wonderful experiences that I've made in this time, too many to list, and I'll surely shed a virtual tear on my last day when I pass on the reigns to my successor.

Anything that I didn't ask, that you would like to comment on?

Motivating pilers can be frustrating. :P

TSP Winter 2016 Cabinet Exit Interviews - SJS Republic / Sam111, Minister of Foreign Affairs

As elections are complete in TSP for the Spring 2017 term, we interview exiting cabinet members about their terms.

I first joined when I saw one of my friends on NS during a class in 2014, and I thought it looked like fun.

I stayed in TSP at first simply because I had nowhere else to go.

About a week later, several of my friends and I made a region, and when I went to move my nation over, I decided that I couldn't bring myself to leave, having seen that the region looked to be fun, based on the RMB and WFE, so I just moved a puppet over there instead.

What is your current position? Have you held any other positions in the TSP government?

I’ve been a Local Councillor, Vice Delegate, Justice (briefly), Chair Of Assembly, Minister of Foreign Affairs, and am currently on the CRS or the Council for Regional Security.

I've also been active in the fellowship programme and as a member of the advisory council.

LC was good, because I enjoyed working with the gameside community, although my half term was plagued with inactivity from the other members.

I really enjoyed working with Tsu as VD and I've loved my time working in the MoRA.

What do you think the role of the Minister of Foreign Affairs is? What are some of your key accomplishments this term?

I think the MoFA should always strive to work towards what's best for the region, and be able to put aside any personal feelings and not be working for their own personal agenda.

We had a really successful festival with TNP, which helps to reaffirm our close friendship.

A lot of my term has been spent working on CAIN, and mending and strengthening relations with regions.

I'd like to see us continue to be a member, and part of that would be for us to work together as a region to address issues we have, and for me to then work on that with the other signatories.

What projects or goals that you would still like to implement in the future?

I would still like to see some form of training program, but I just don't think it's viable right now.

I would like to see a bit more of a cultural approach, too.

Is there anything else about your time in government that you’d like to share? Where does MoFA get the money for their lavish parties? :P

I probably shouldn't share this, but as a member of the AC, I've been siphoning money from the MoRA's budget.

Besides NS, what do you like to do for fun? What are your hobbies?

I like to do a bit of gaming, watch sport, listen to music, try and play guitar, when I'm not busy with school and stuff.

What games, besides NS, do you enjoy?

The main ones I play are Civ V, men of war, company of heroes, age of empires

I also play some like FIFA :P

Assembly in a Debate over APC-TIL deal; Roavin backs out of MoFA race
By Spenty

Months after the Political Parties act was passed, a debate emerged in the Legislators' Lounge over the legality of an APC-TIL deal to swap endorsements, which some decried as "an act of treason" and "electioneering". The deal, which was made before the elections even started, involved two of the major political parties in the Coalition: the Alliance for the Preservation of the Coalition and The Island League. In the deal, TIL would endorse General Vietnam for Minister of Military Affairs while APC would endorse the current MoMA Roavin for Minister of Foreign Affairs. Both players are highly respected in the region.

Some thought that the deal would give Roavin a more secure place in the highly contested MoFA elections but that the APC would not benefit from the deal. The APCRC later on revealed that the decision was unwise.

Belschaft, who debated that the deal was undemocratic, boycotted the SPN debate between him, Roavin, and Escade. In addition, a fiery debate between Belschaft and Omega emerged in the Assembly. Following this debate, Roavin backed out of the MoFA race stating that he wanted to focus on the assembly. Stay tuned for Spring 2017 Election Coverage in our next edition.

Personalities Win Big at the South Pacific Coconut Awards 2017
By Spenty

The 8th of February marked the culmination of the South Pacific Coconut Awards or the Cocos for short. The Coconut Awards are a series of awards given to outstanding citizens of The South Pacific in the areas of RMB, Roleplay, Regional Affairs, Military and in the Assembly.

Before the awards started, many personalities strutted at the red carpet and rolled into the event fashionably late. Escade wore a long elegant dress while Omega wore his signature grey suit along with a sparkling blue tie.

As the awards were announced there were large cheers from the audience as each winner went up onto the stage with pride. Between the breaks they exchanged congratulations and handshakes as they drank champagne brought by Griffin.

The best was saved for last as the Cabinet Awards were announced for the best new personalities in each ministry, including the Assembly. Spenty came up onto the stage twice to receive the Chair's Award and the Minister of Regional Affairs' Award. Apparently, he was shocked upon receiving two awards and almost fainted.

Vietnam received the Minister of Military Affairs' Award for having contributed the most in the South Pacific Special Forces while Nahuelm received the Delegates' award for being the most active and helpful on the Regional Message Board. While our very own Minister of Regional Affairs, Seraph won the Prime Minister's Award for being the best new politician.

The award show was generally a good night as people exchanged smiles and congratulations after the show. Please do watch out for the next Cocos!
Last edited by Southern Journal on Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Escade
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Escade » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:56 pm

Thank you to everyone who contributed to the issue :)

Editor-in-Chief: Seraph\Erinor
Director of Journalism: Escade
Writers: Escade, Spenty
Publisher: Kringalia

Escade
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Southern Journal - Issue XX, Special Edition Part 2

Postby Escade » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:01 pm

Southern Journal
Issue XX, Special Election Edition Part 2
March 2, 2017

Stories
I.Spring 2017 Election Results
II. Chair of Assembly Resignation
III. Spring 2017 Special Election Interview - Glen Rhodes\Sandaoguo\Hierocles, Chair of Assembly
IV. Spring 2017 Cabinet Interviews - Seraph\Erinor, Minister of Regional Affairs
V. Spring 2017 Cabinet Interviews - Drugged Monkeys, Prime Minister
VI. Resident Spotlight - The Federation of Lioniel
VII. Classifieds

Editor-in-Chief: Seraph
Director of Journalism: Escade
Writing Staff: Escade, Spenty AKA Pederal na Republika Ng Pilipinas
Publisher: Kringalia

I. Spring 2017 Election Results

Congratulations to the newly elected Cabinet and Chair of Assembly!

The South Pacific Spring 2017 Chair of Assembly Special Election Results
Calculated by the Election Commissioner

Chair of Assembly:

Sandaoguo - 17 votes (77.3%)
Rebeltopia - 4 votes (18.2%)
RON - 1 vote (4.5%)
Sandaoguo is the new Chair of the Assembly

The South Pacific Spring 2017 Cabinet and Prime Minister Election Results

Prime Minister:
Arcadia and Ameriga - 2 votes (6.1%)
Drugged Monkeys - 28 votes (84.8%)
RON - 3 votes (9.1%)
Drugged Monkeys will continue a third term as Prime Minister.

Minister of Regional Affairs:
Seraph - 29 votes (85.3%)
RON - 5 votes (14.7%)
Seraph\Erinor will continue a third term as Minister of Regional Affairs.

Minister of Foreign Affairs:
Escade - 21 votes (61.8%)
Belschaft - 11 votes (32.3%)
RON - 2 votes (5.9%)
Escade is the new Minister of Foreign Affairs.

Minister of Military Affairs:
Vietnam - 26 votes (83.9%)
RON - 5 votes (16.1%)
Vietnam is the new Minister of Military Affairs.

Craziest Person:
Third Cycle:
Gordon Freeman - 9 votes (47.4%)
Rebeltopia - 10 votes (52.6%)
In a close election, Rebeltopia is crowned Craziest in TSP.

In addition a non-binding poll was undertaken on the TSP gameside for the MoFA election. Only WA Nations could vote in the poll:
Escade - 27 votes
Belschaft - 14 votes
RON - 4 votes

II. Omega Resigns as Chair of Assembly
Written by Spenty

This month, the Assembly convened to debate a motion to recall the Chair of the Assembly, Omega. According to the legislators who authored the resolution, Omega, the Chair of the Assembly and the vice chair of the political party Alliance for the Preservation of the Coalition (APC), needed to be recalled as there were very long periods of time between the debate and voting periods. In addition to this, three members who were supposed to have been stripped of legislator status remained able to vote and were not aware that their status should have changed.

As tensions grew in the Assembly, Omega chose to resign his position as Chair of the Assembly, stating that he was busy with other commitments in real life. Ryccia, the Deputy Chair of Assembly also issued an apology on the forums.

A new Chair of Assembly has been elected after an emergency election that took place last week. The candidates for the election were both seasoned legislators: Rebeltopia, who recently returned to activity in the region, and Sandaoguo who won in a landslide. The Chair of Assembly position has, historically, been a government position with a high number of recalls, resignations, and general drama.

III. Spring 2017 Special Election Interview with Sandaoguo\Glen-Rhodes\Heirocles, Chair of Assembly

What do you think are the roles and responsibilities of the Chair of Assembly?
It's mostly administrative. Make sure the laws are right, legislator apps are processed, and votes are put up and closed in a timely manner. Aside from that, Chairs can prod the Assembly into thinking about certain issues and get debate going.

What do you hope to accomplish this term?
I want to accomplish everything on my campaign agenda. I'm in the process of standardizing our formats. I've started an audit of legislator voting requirements, since that kind of fell to the wayside. Next I'll be ensuring our laws are up to date. From there, it's really a matter of guiding the debates that will come up in the next four months, making sure they're fruitful and come to something we can vote on.

How long have you been in TSP? How is different today from when you started? What do you like most about what has changed? What do you remember nostalgically from the past?
I've been part of TSP since April 2013, so a couple months shy of 4 years. When I started, TSP was pretty inactive, but it was one of the few really democratic regions that wasn't closed off by an elite class. While TSP is still a bit inactive nowadays, I still prefer it to other regions.

Unfortunately, TSP of today is a far cry from 2 years ago, which I consider the zenith of my time here. Back then, you had a Cabinet that really had ambition and ideas, and the real will to execute them. Kris was an amazing Delegate and really drove a lot of the cultural change in TSP at the time. Then everything changed and the community got a lot more toxic and a lot less fun. Hileville reshuffled the admin team, Kris and I found our way onto it. The whole forum crisis (the first one) happened then, and there's just been a struggle in the community since then.

I think there are a lot of people in the upper echelons of TSP who don't really enjoy it anymore, but don't know what else to do if they gave it all up.

Sorry for the depressing answer, I guess. :P It's just that TSP's change over the past 4 years has probably been a net decline, even though there are plenty of good things I can think of that have happened.

How do you see the next six months unfolding under Tsu's delegacy?
Tsu will, in all likelihood, be in the center of a political fight between Belschaft and... everyone else, I guess, about moving more and more of TSP from the forums and onto the RMB. I don't envy him, though I've tried my best so far to prevent that fight from happening. Other than that, I think Tsu is a great person and has always been a stabilizing force in TSP.

What do you believe are the roles and responsibilities of delegates?
The Delegate today is there to be a bulwark against instability. It's not a hands-on position. It's a figurehead. It's the Queen/Crown to our parliament.

Several new players would love to be delegate of TSP for the first time, what do you think about this? Is the delegate position becoming a security position rather than a position for new people?
No, I don't think the Delegate is a position for new(er) players. It's for trusted and established senior members of the community. We just don't function well as a community when the Delegate seat is in flux and politicized.

Would you ever support term limits on becoming delegate?
Nope.

One thing I liked about the old system was the vice-delegate position...do you think it might make a comeback at some point?
Again, nope. It's pointless. We aren't a Delegate-centered government anymore. We have a Prime Minister and a Cabinet as our government.

How did you like the NS World Fair? Did you get your fortune told, a tattoo, or a drink in TSP’s regional booth?
Honestly, I think the NSWF took a nose dive when Unibot stopped organizing it. It was his brainchild, and it's really shown since he's been stigmatized over the past couple years. I declined to write a lecture in large part because I didn't see any real excitement about the fair this year. Also, NS as a whole has been utterly devoid of life the past year, so I don't have anything to write about. And I think the current lectures kind of speak to that, too.

Finally, what is one question I haven’t asked that you’d like to answer?
What am I doing in my downtime? Well, I just binge watched The Magicians and it's only one season, so I'm impatiently waiting for the season 2 premiere on Wednesday :D Also I'm playing a shit ton of Dragon Age.

The Magicians is seriously underrated, I binge watched season one and am excited about season 2!

IV. TSP Cabinet Spring 2017 Interviews - Seraph\Erinor, Minister of Regional Affairs

How did you get into NS? How did you find the game and what kept you here?
I actually joined on the recommendation of a friend (shoutout to The Land Without Shrimp!) and so I thought I'd give it a try. I probably would have played it for a few weeks and then given up if it weren't for the hints of something much deeper beyond the front page. That intrigued me so much that I decided to stick around and see if I could build up the courage to explore the mysterious forums and all this talk of regional government.

Yes, the forums seems like a mysterious and unknowable place in the beginning :P What made you stay in TSP or choose TSP?
I was founded in the South Pacific and I've honestly never been strongly tempted to move anywhere else. It was here that I started to get involved in things beyond the issues and here that I've made the majority of my NS friendships. I'm interested in the idea of exploring other regions, but only really as a tourist. TSP has become my home and if I think it's missing something somewhere else has, then that's only an incentive to make TSP better!

What do you like most about TSP? Do you remember your initial impressions of the region? Have they changed or stayed the same?
My initial impressions of TSP were that it seemed big and daunting, but full of interesting and enthusiastic people. Overtime my impressions have changed, of course. I've seen the darker side of the region in the relationships which have been broken in the past and in the arguments that erupt now and then, but that's all balanced out with a general welcome and acceptance which is truly quite special. I think that, as much as anything, is what has kept me 'playing' this game, because game or not, it's the community and being able to serve it that I most enjoy.

How did you get involved in the Ministry of Regional Affairs?
I guess I got involved in the Ministry by accident. It was an area I was interested in, but wasn't fully sure what it involved or how best to get started there, then Roavin asked for some help proofreading something and I volunteered. Before I knew it I was researching and writing something for a festival and then put onto Roavin's advisory council when he became minister. I wasn't very involved for most of that term, but gradually, I got a sense of what it all was about and how I could contribute and, by the end of Ro's term I knew it would be worthy trying for minister.

Under your leadership, MoRA has really solidified as one of the strongest centers of activity, comrade, and community. What do you attribute your success to?
I'm not sure it has been that much of a success, to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased with what the ministry has achieved during my first term, but I set myself one major goal at the start and that has not yet been met: recruiting a sizable number of new people. There has been a serious lack of involvement in the region since before I started and whilst there are plenty of players on the MoRA books, there are hardly any who are actually active and involved in that activities of the ministry or the region as a whole, for that matter. My efforts to fix this last term have largely been a failure, with a lot of the stuff that has been achieved being on the backs of a relatively small number of individuals, which isn't sustainable in the long term. My goal for the new term remains the same, with the modification of trying out new avenues to encourage engagement.

As for what successes we have achieved? I'd attribute that to persistence and, when all else fails and nobody steps into the breach, trying my damnedest to do things myself :P As I said, I don't think that's a sustainable way to run the ministry and it doesn't help raise up new players to carry on when I step down, which I plan to do at the end of this second term, so that I can devote more time to specific projects, rather than overseeing everything. We'll see if I hold my resolve on that one, but I'd really like to see other players preparing to take on more responsibilities.

What is the significance of your nation name Seraph\Erinor?
So, Seraph isn't a nation name, it's just the name I've been using on the internet since I was 16 (that's 17 years ago, eep!). It's from a Hebrew word referring to the highest order of angels, which fits with my faith and my interests in the fantastic, but, in truth, I originally took it from the name of the ultimate form of the final boss in my favourite video game, Final Fantasy VII: Seraph Sephiroth, the 'One-Winged Angel' of that famous boss theme.
Anyway, I use it everywhere, anyway, including on my blog (http://seraphicworlds.blogspot.com [/shameless plug]).

Erinor gets its name from a fictional world I was working on for a novel: Erinea, and, indeed, Eriniea remains Erinor's name in it's own language, Syaqin aren, which I created for the novel and have since expanded in the world of TSP RP. There's a longer story about how Erinea itself came from me reworking the name of a land called Urinor which was in an earlier novel attempt, but, like the vowel change, it was all just a case of 'let's not go there'.

Have you held any other positions in TSP? Would you like to hold any other positions?

The only other elected position I've held is Local Council, which I did for a term before running for MoRA. As for running for anything else, I'm not sure. I can rule out MoFA and MoMA straight away, as I'm just not involved in those aspects of the game, nor am I likely to be. I think that rules out PM as well, really. I might consider delegate some day, but, to be honest, being involved in Regional Affairs is where its at.
(and I've got the laptop back, yay!)

Favorite book, movie, or song?
My answer to those questions will usually depend on my mood, but, right at this precise moment, I'll venture: The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson (which is cheating, 'cost it's really eight novels in three volumes), the Two Towers (but really all six Middle-Earth films) and Dark Road by Annie Lennox.

Cake or pie? Why?
I'm a well-known Independessert. :P Indeed, as far as I know, I'm the founder of Independesertism.

A third player has entered into the foray of the Cake\Pie wars. Let’s see how the Independesserts fare :P

V. TSP Cabinet Spring 2017 Interviews - Drugged Monkeys, Prime Minister

Honestly, I learned about NationStates by pure accident, randomly stumbled upon it while surfing the internet for some sort of world domination game if I remember correctly. After reading the main page, I thought "why not". One of the first things to entice me was the freedom NS gave you to be unique, allowing you to personalize your nation. This alone got my foot in the door and the rest is blurry history.

I've been in TSP for around seven years give or take. After all my past endeavors in NS, My path crossed with some TSP operatives in WZ Australia. From there I made the transitions to a feeder region for the first time in my NS career. The reason I stayed at first was because I wanted to give it a try in a feeder region, but the friendliness and the tradition here in TSP are what really makes me stay.

What do you like most about TSP?
Besides poking fun at Belschaft? No seriously, that is fun but what I like most is the freedom and sense of belonging. As soon as someone walks through TSP's doors they are overwhelmed with the sense of belonging. Welcomed with open arms and helpful direction in any aspect, this is what I like most about being a resident of TSP.

Currently, I’m the Prime Minister which is another way of saying Head Honcho..Captain America...Kim Kardashian. :p Other positions I’ve held include “Distributor of Bananas.”

As a former MoMA, what was one of your typical missions like? What did being a soldier of TSP involve circa 2013?
As MoMA, my missions we are straightforward and easy. Planned around an update, where a player would set up the most timely triggers. From there we would hang out on the IRC channel bantering until it got close to go time. Channel fell silent until the order was given to GO! I tried to keep it fun and interesting when I was MoA, otherwise people lose interest fast. So being a soldier in TSP, or even NS is a very demanding task. Finding the time to be around for update is the hardest part for most people. Right now is TSP, the only mission so far under new MoA Southern Bellz was a non update mission. This allows people to transition into the New Southern Army lifestyle more easily and slowly.

What is the significance behind your nation's name?
I think it fits my personality, combined with my flag it is a symbol of who I am. It's the legacy I have created here in NS, that is the significance behind it. I've had many names since I've been in NS, most I don't remember because Drugged Monkeys is who I truly am.

The interviewer and DM headed to a bar and the rest of the interview was unfortunately lost 8)

VI. Resident Spotlight - The Federation of Lionel

Today we sit down for an interview with The Federation of Lionel, a long-time TSPer.

How did you learn about NationStates? How long have you been playing NS?
Google. It was morning, and I was bored out of my mind, wondering what to do before my classes started in the afternoon. So, to relieve the ennui, I started searching for political sim games aside from Democracy 2 &3 - Tropico, but a browser-based version of that said game if there was any - so I started searching for it and, lo and behold, nationstates was the first thing that popped up. To be honest, I didn't go through the site studying its contents. My utmost concern was just to relieve boredom, so I just read the FAQ, skimmed this and that and I liked it! It took me an hour to decide whether to plunge into the site or not, but fudge it! I said to myself. I liked what I saw, so, why not?.

How long have you been playing?

I've been playing NS for three years, since Oct. 2, 2014. I've been playing NS a I started answering issues, peeking at the forums for soon-to-be issues, and lurking at the RMB.

How long have you been in the South Pacific? What has made you stay so far?
3 years since 2014. I'm not really interested in the raider/defender portion of the game, nor having a desire to participate in ideological tug-of-wars (commie themed regions, capitalist themed, nationalist, etc). I prefer to have casual chit-chat with my fellow TSPers ;)

Civil Rights, Economy, or Political Freedom? Which is most important for your nation and why?
Hmm.... that's a tough one since at first Lioniel was somewhat based on my IRL country which is a capitalist, conservative “wunderland” XD! Secondly, I wanted to mix the first with some of the progresses in east asia and the U.S., so this took me while but i felt that Economy=Civil Rights>Political Freedom are preferable for my nation. Sure, this may seem like a certain southeast-Asian country, but in actuality this is an ideal combination for me, first a strong but balanced economy

If you were delegate of TSP for a day what would you do?
DECLARE MARTIAL LAW!! xd, but seriously I'm not fit for that. If I was a few years younger, then maybe, but I have too much on my plate right now. I would hand it over to someone with more perseverance, goodwill and a lot of time in his hands.

Cake or pie? Why?
Cake, cake is more common where I come from, it’s found almost everywhere. The only pie I tasted is buko (coconut) pie. I joined the war for giggles and I’m willing to try more varieties of pie if and when available.

Favorite book, movie, or song?
Books? WellI I do have a predilection for books authored by Tom Clancy. I’m not sure how I got hooked up, the action, or maybe the characters with a can-do attitude.
Movies? I don’t but I prefer a light-hearted animated show that isn’t too preachy.
As for songs.. I have too many to list here and sometimes I would go on for days, months even just liking a particular genre, artist, or song and then it’s just something to distract myself. For example, November was for Vaporwave. Now it’s a bunch of songs that are trending right now.

What is the significance or story behind your nation's name?

Well, when I made this nation, I thought of a nation based on my star sign (Leo), and I wanted it to be semi-based in Africa since most nations in nation states are either based on the Americas, European, or Asian design so my noggin thought that if I made my country based in Africa I’d be all hipster about it and people would say; “ow, African country”, “heart of darkness,” “so outlandish”, “wow!” Finally it is pronounced Lee-onn-iiel when put Lioniel as my nation name as the finishing touch since it sounded good at that time, now I’m not so sure.:p

It’s stats would be based on the best from east to west: the discipline of the Germans and Japanese, the FREEDOM ala ‘Murica, and the strict but fair economic regulations ala Scandinavia.

What do you do when you're not on Nation States?
Work (a government job) doesn’t pay much but at least I can be independent-ish - internet, hanging with friends (but they have jobs and responsibilities now so no more), if work doesn’t leave me exhausted throughout the weekdays, I try go to the countryside or another town that I haven’t been to.

It's always fun to get to meet another TSPer, and I would love to see you more often on the forums or Discord!

VII. Classifieds
The Southern Journalwould just like to take a moment to advertise (and recruit for) our other publications.

Firstly, you may remember that we produced a new publication last summer: The Southern Pioneer, the first and, so far, only issue of which, you can read here.

The idea behind The Southern Pioneer was to be a travelogue for NationStates, showcasing other regions from the inside, so that the diversity of this enormous and crazy community could be made more accessible. As you can see, however, and as I have mentioned, there has only been one issue and the reason for that is that, since becoming Minister of Regional Affairs, Seraph/Erinor has been unable to spend the time required to visit other regions and get under their skin. As such, The Pioneer seems dormant, but it does not need to be so! You could help!

If you enjoy writing and are keen to get out into the big world of NationStates, then perhaps a job writing for The Southern Pioneer would be for you? If you’re interested, please send a telegram to @Erinor or e-mail tspmora@gmail.com with a brief description of why you want to help out and what you think you can offer. Samples of your writing would be appreciated too, but are not a requirement.

Secondly, we also publish The Treasure Island Report, a monthly newspaper focussing on stories from our forum-based roleplaying community, Treasure Island. You can read the latest issue here and, again, if you want to contribute, send articles to @Erinor or e-mail tspomora@gmail.com. Google docs enabled for commenting are best.

Thank you!
Last edited by Escade on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:57 am, edited 6 times in total.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Issue 26

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:33 am

Issue 26 · THE SOUTH PACIFIC · Thursday, March 15, 2018

Featuring contributions from Pencil Sharpeners 2, Nakari, Roavin, Glen-Rhodes, Erinor &
Escade

A note from the Publisher & Editor
After a short hiatus, the Southern Journal is back for its 26th edition and fourth year in publication. Our organizational structure has changed, now that we're utilizing the recruiting and talent infrastructure of the Ministry on Regional Affairs, but we remain a fully independent publication dedicated to the freedoms of thought and speech. The Ministry's goal as publisher is to develop a new generation of NationStates journalists, and revive a niche of play that offers a creative outlet that serves to educate and record history. Our editor-in-chief, Glen-Rhodes is a name many will know and is no stranger to the bygone era of prolific journalism. His opinionated and thoughtful approach to the development of the re-imagined Southern Journal will hopefully get debate flowing, grab readers' eyes, and provoke genuine community discussion of various issues and happenings in the game. Our focus will be on editorial content, rather than mere reporting, and we will strive to have pieces that reflect a diverse set of interests, politics, and cultures. As always, the contents of the articles reflect the views of the author(s) only, and not the publisher, the editors, or the government of The South Pacific. We hope you enjoy our comeback issue and we're excited to start work on our next edition!

The Ides of March
BY Glen-Rhodes

In the Rome Republic, the Courts of Justice re-opened on the first day of every year, and debtors were given one week to settle their debts or be sued. This debt-settling deadline fell on what was known as the ides of the month. Beware the ides of March, the soothsayer said to Caesar.

In cosmic beauty, our ides has been one of settling debts in NationStates. In August-September of last year, Wolf and his pack of seeking alphas called the Lone Wolves United, propped up Funkadelia’s coup d’région in Lazarus. The dessicated army of this new Undead Dominion denied fervently that the Lone Wolves were in power, to the belief of no one. It was a native-backed uprising against electoral fraud and foreign entryists, of course.

It was only natural that Funkadelia pay back during the ides what was owed-- control of Lazarus, in full, to the Khanate of wolves in sheep's clothing. (Quite literally; look at Aleister’s flag.) Wolf has regained a semblance of relevance again, thanks to the hard work of Funkadelia and the propagandists in Balder, Osiris, and The West Pacific who protected the flock from the pesky truth.

Aleister's flag, proudly displaying a wolf in sheep's clothing.

“This day you take control of your own destiny, this day your chains are broken!” howls the new World Factbook Entry. But to what were Lazarenes chained before the wolfpack unveiled their duplicity? The regime of Funkadelia, who banned long-time players for threatening his fragile grip on the government? The outsider raiders who were artificially inflating Funkadelia’s endorsement count? The unprincipled Edward Bernays trying to push the actions of a disloyal failed Delegate as the new Torches of Freedom? Whoever did the public relations last year needs to be re-hired before the Lone Wolves have another Freudian slip.

As with all of his endeavors, my good friend Wolf will eventually prove once again that he can’t keep the wind in his sails for very long. The Triumvirate never did deliver the booming activity they promised, and Lone Wolves United is hardly known for their staying power. What’s unfortunate is that Funkadelia’s insecurity at losing his reelection means Lazarus, a once-proud sinker, will remain a dried-out husk until Wolf loses his bark again.

“Beware the ides of March,” the soothsayer told Caesar. When the day came and nothing happened, Caesar thought he was safe and exclaimed, “The ides of March are come!”

To which the soothsayer replied, “Aye, Caesar, but not gone.”

≡≡≡≡

Interview with Auphelia
BY Southern Journal Staff

At the time of writing, the Local Council elections were in full swing and this publication was keen to learn more about one of the rising stars of the gameside community. With a constantly-changing catalogue of pre-titles, Auphelia has become an irrepressible presence on the Regional Message Board since her founding on the 5th January 2017, but it’s fair to say that not many know much about her or understand the enigmatic power by which she holds sway over so many conversations and keeps the tone of the RMB just a little bit less sane.

With this in mind, we sent World Assembly Delegate and occasional Southern Journal writer, Erinor, A.K.A. Seraph to track Auphelia down and find the answers to some of these pressing enigmas. After spanning the globe, Seraph at last cornered Auphelia atop the Altiplano of Bolivia, herself hunting the missing TSP Llama.

~~~~

Auphelia: Alas! I almost had him! Oh, Erinor, what brings you to the Alpaca Lands?

Erinor: I’m here to interview you, actually. The readers of the Southern Journal want to know more about their future supreme overlord - I mean their potential Local Councillor.

A: That’s great, but I’m kinda busy here! Perhaps you could help?

At this point Erinor’s transcript becomes increasingly confused, with notes about Alpaca Rebels, trap setting and something about going undercover for a while, ‘perfumed as one of their own’. Several hundred pages later it regains some clarity with some discernible questions as Erinor and Auphelia were apparently taking a break between Alpaca camp raids.

E: Auphelia, you're a very familiar presence on our Regional Message Board, but I don't think that many South Pacificans would claim to know a lot about you. Can you give us a bit of a rundown of who you are, what you do and where you're from?

A: I am a woman/girl at heart living (most of the time) in India. I spent some of my childhood in America. I detest physical exercise for the sake of exercising, because I have better things to do than run for no reason or lift large chunks of metal. I do enjoy reading, caramel (sweets in general), and Broadway music. I don't like to reveal a lot about myself on the interwebs, because I may or may not have a secret double life as a spy (I don't, but a girl can dream).

E: So, what first got you started in NationStates?

A: I got started in NationStates when... I think a friend recommended it to me, though I can't quite remember. I have always loved games like this, getting to rule my own land with an iron fist - erm, compassionate touch.

E: You were very active when you first arrived here (so much so that we founded Knowhere largely - if not solely - on the basis of your posts) but you then fell into a period of inactivity when we didn't hear anything from you at all. What brought you back?

A: Well, I stopped when I went to America for a few weeks, and then... *cringes* ... forgot about NationStates. I know, shame on me and all of that. I didn't mean to, but it happened. What brought me back was suddenly remembering: I forgot to respond to Montron's telegram. Out of nowhere, months after I left, that thought popped up. I have no idea why. Remembering how much fun it was here, I immediately resurrected Auphelia and haven't stopped since. Now NationStates has become a part of my schedule, thanks in part to the fact that I am usually awake at all hours of the night.

E: What do you enjoy most about NationStates and the South Pacific and what would you like to see here in the future?

A: I love the polls, the amazing conversations we are able to have in the RMB, and the elections when I get to go all out for a candidate I believe in (It was totally you, Erinor). However, I would like to see the polls used more! It seems they pop up whenever there are elections or special events, but never nearly enough! My running for LC may or may not have the singular goal of getting to create polls every week.

E: Which leads me to ask, what made you decide to run for Local Council and how do you see your TSP political career progressing if you're elected?

A: I decided to run for Local Council because I felt it was time I give back to the community in ways that are more than humorous escapades and brilliant ban hammer fight scenes. I am often online, more than most at any rate, and I find that I and others who are also frequenters of the RMB are often helpless in the face of spammers and trolls. As for my career, if I won I would try to do an acceptable job and get re-elected. I don't really see myself going past being an on-again-off again Local Councillor, as I find the forum (no offence meant) to be somewhat of a hassle to get to. But I do love the RMB and I hope it continues to thrive and earn us our spot as the Party Region.

E: As a resident of one of the less-well-represented nations on earth within NationStates, do you think that the game in general or our community in particular helps to broaden the horizons of its players? If not, then what do you think players need to be doing differently?

A: I don't think NationStates (or at least this region) serves to broaden our horizons too much. But that isn't really a problem. We are a feeder and most of our members seem to be from majority English speaking and English descended countries (The US, Canada, the UK, Australia) or people who write in English very well and have a firm(ish) grasp on Western culture. This helps new players, as most seem to be from the Western world in general, to acclimate to the game and learn until they (far too often) leave us. If you want to broaden your horizons there are regions for that, but we need to serve the needs of the many. Of course, this lack of understanding has led to a few "incidents" where terminology is different (silly Americans), but those are usually few and far between.

E: What has been your favourite memory of your time in the South Pacific, so far?

A: Favourite memory... that is a hard one. There have been so many good moments, but I think my favourite was during the delegate election that you won (#VoteTsunamy) when I had a small news channel all to myself. Water skiing squirrels, punny names, rodent uprisings, surprise kidnappings; my studio had it all! My favourite bit was when It's Morning, Auphelia! was taken over by the rodents and a white rabbit recited a heavily edited version of the Communist Manifesto. I personally found it to be hilarious. Then again, my sense of humour is hardly conventional.

E: You're well-known for your eccentricities and wild imagination on the RMB. Just where do you get your ideas from?

A: I am not really sure. Most just magically pop into by brain, others are slight adaptations from what I read, and some are callbacks to earlier craziness that I have engaged in. It's difficult to fully explain what it is like, but I will often just start typing and let myself get rid of the filter that people normally use in their interpersonal interactions. It's pretty fun, and has led to some fairly interesting circumstances.

E: You've shared a lot of songs from musicals lately. Which is your favourite and why?

A: I. Hate. You. But you are forgiven, just this once. Telling me to pick an all-time favourite musical or song is like asking me to fly. It's absolutely impossible! But thinking off the top of this head, right at this moment, I would have to say my favourite musical for plot is Chicago, my favourite song is Defying Gravity, and my favourite musical for songs averaged out is Gypsy. I love the plot and the way the songs of Chicago go together so well and intersect with the story and Roxi's point of view, showing her dreams as a star and the way people are so flexible and willing to be sheep. It really gives me hope if I ever have to go to trial for my various crimes against humanity. But Defying Gravity has the sheer force and emotion that even the likes of Rose's Turn (emotional) and Cell Block Tango (force) fail to match. The high, wavering notes, the crash of the brass instruments, and the way the story has led up to that moment is almost unsurpassed. Then again, it all depends on who sings it. And then there is Gypsy. It may not have all of the greatest songs, but the way that it uses the influences of vaudeville and the voices of the cast creates an overall more beautiful effect than most other musicals. Of course, there are a few bad songs (Little Lamb), but the best songs serve to average out Gypsy into a beautiful tale of either a daughter finding independence from her mother or a mother learning that she has given her entire life to her children just to be taken for granted and left behind. The ending ruined it for me, which is why it is not my favourite musical for plot as well.

E: It’s traditional to end one of these interviews with a Cake vs. Pie questions, but you recently came out publicly as an Independessert. To what extent do you feel that that ideology of having your cake and eating pie too defines your outlook on life and NationStates?

A: I am usually one to find the middle ground, or better yet, create my own ground. I tried to get an Ice Cream revolution off of the ground, but it failed, so I joined the Independesserts because if I can't have it my way I will help those trying to find a safe place in the middle of this violent and delicious conflict. This has allowed me to move past the petty squabbles of the various factions and become more involved in welcoming others and not committing mass genocide against the Cakeitalist heretics.

E: Finally, what do you actually plan to do with the TSP Llama if you find him/her?

A: Obviously, I shall harness the Sacred Llama Crystals of TSP, calling down all of the ghosts of TSP Llama's past, present, and future to fight against the Alpaca Extremists! Of course, I need the TSP Llama itself to activate the Crystals, hence why we are searching for it. Then, once both sides are incapacitated from fighting each other, I shall make Norman the Turtle the Official Mascot of TSP while the TSP Llama is too weak to defend its throne! My master plan, revealed! Oh. That may not have been a wise decision, revealing my master plan to the Delegate. Oops. Can we just uh . . . strike that from the record?

The rest of the transcript is torn and there are signs of a struggle. Erinor has not spoken about his experiences since he returned from the Andes, so exactly what happened up there on the Altiplano will have to remain a mystery for now.

≡≡≡≡

A note from the Ministry of Regional Affairs:
The South Pacific and Cultural Activity in NationStates

Since March 2017, The South Pacific has emerged as the central region for those seeking vibrant cultural activity. We’ve prided ourselves on inclusivity towards a wide variety of regions and peoples, and like to reflect that in our cultural events. The Ministry of Regional Affairs would like to take this opportunity to go over some of the great things TSPers have done so far.

Our first big event of last year was the CULT festival with The Rejected Realms and the Celestial Union. We had a killer movie night, awesome design competitions, spam games, and fan-fic and original story contests. And over the past year, TSP has grown and built events that have gotten only better and more exciting. Our Ministry of Regional Affairs has been working day and night to be a leader in inter-regional activity, and we’ve been rewarded each time with meeting an assortment of players who are curious to mingle and enjoy each other’s company. But most of all, we just want to have fun!

The Game of Thrones festival with New Pacific Order saw the addition of trivia, quizzes, chess, Mafia and post N-day fun. This event had about 30 members partake and spurred a lot of discussions about the fandom. In addition, it introduced TSPers to other fellow NS players who loved and enjoyed the same books and TV shows.

Next up was the Harry Potter and the Festival of Friends (Year 1) with 10000 Islands, which drew the largest crowd of members at the time (over 50) and also the largest membership in terms of having people from all parts of NS enjoy themselves. Custom Buzzfeed quizzes helped sort people into Hogwarts Houses. They competed for points through activities such as dueling, banner designs, custom Harry Potter-themed Cards Against Humanity tournaments, themed Mafia games, and a roleplay thread around the fandom. This event also saw the heavy use of voice-chat that extended way into the morning! Again, fans discussed favorite characters (sometimes strongly disagreeing :P), fan fics, and their love for the wizarding world. The staff from TSP and XKI working on this event also collaborated really well and self-assessed on how to improve things for the next event. All in all a really wonderful time that we hope to replicate each year!

The most recent event, the Interregional Olympics Games, saw over 85 members with over 50 players signed up to compete. The Olympics were an amazing amalgamation of different regions and culture, much like the real world, and we saw some of the highest quality of participation we’ve seen in a long time! This was another great event where a love of Olympics, sports, games, or hanging out led to a lot of shenanigans and activity. In addition to the R\D games there was trivia, Werewolf, Cards Against Humanity, and a lot of VCs and hanging out.

So what’s next for TSP? We hope to run a Lord of the Rings themed event with some allies and friends in the near future. We’re also interested in helping allies and friends host events themselves! One way to overcome stagnancy or attrition is to make sure your region is a place where people have opportunities to enjoy the things they love with other people :)  So keep an eye out for our events and also partake and enjoy the game with someone new! Want to help learn how to host or just like to be part of the party planning committee?  Join the TSP Ministry of Regional Affairs Discord here! 

≡≡≡≡

Promise Fulfilled: RMBer Pencil Sharpeners 2 now on CRS
BY Roavin

On January 11, 2018, The South Pacific passed a milestone long-awaiting by government reformers: the confirmation of a game-side member to the Council on Regional Security. Pencil Sharpeners 2, known locally as just PS2, carries the distinction of being the first security official to not be a long-time member of the forum-side governance of the Coalition of The South Pacific. After applying in early December, the CRS formally recommended his admission to the Assembly, which passed the resolution by a 35-2 majority.

Pencil Sharpeners 2 has been a resident of the South Pacific for close to four years and has become a stalwart figure on the RMB. His two terms as a Local Council member redefined the potential of that institution with his unprecedented activity levels and the introduction of the extant Local Council election laws as well as the introduction of the daily QuickNews, an institution carried forward even today (rebranded as “SlowNews”). Next to that, despite not being a Legislator, Pencil Sharpeners 2 participates in the off-site Discord chat, attends festivals on the off-site forum, and is a prolific writer for the Southern Onion, a satirical publication in the South Pacific.

The potential to have a security official not involved in forum-side politics is relatively recent, having been introduced in the new Charter written during the Great Council of 2016. The change was initiated by Tsunamy, a long-time member and reliable advocate for the rights of the game-side community, who initially suggested the requirement to serve two terms on the Local Council as an alternative to six months of legislator status, and successfully forced its inclusion into the so-called “Working Group draft” that would later become the new Charter.

With PS2’s acceptance into the CRS, the Coalition of the South Pacific has become the first GCR to field a security official who is not part of forum-side governance. The Coalition continues its promise to the greater community of nations within the region: that the forum is not an elite oligarchy, but rather a facet of something much larger, with both forum and on-site communities needed to ensure the South Pacific’s success.

≡≡≡≡

LC Elections Roundup
BY Pencil Sharpeners 2

The February 2018 Local Council elections saw a field of fourteen candidates, the most of any of the eleven LC elections in TSP’s history. The candidates were a youthful bunch, with eleven of them being founded less than a year ago, and all but one having never served in TSP’s government before.

The campaigning on the RMB brought a new meaning to the word ‘enthusiasm’, with several candidates posting campaign dispatches and messages even before the campaigning period had started. With the LC being a more flexible position than most, and many of the candidates being new nations, campaign ideas and techniques varied wildly. Some candidates focussed on the activity they would bring to the role, with polls being a focus of both Auphelia and Tilipria’s campaigns. Games and quizzes were also frequently mentioned as an aim, with North Prarie and Midand citing Aumeltopia’s contributions last term as something they would continue. However, RMB moderation was the most common thread among campaigns, with some disagreement between candidates. New Haudenosaunee Confederacy advocated a tougher stance, stating ‘I've seen rule-breaking posts unmoderated before and I believe that these posts need moderation’. Rikutso, on the other hand, favoured a more tolerant approach, saying ‘we need to be lenient and make sure they know they're doing something wrong before bringing down the wrath of Poseidon’.

Due to the NationStates polling function only allowing a maximum of twelve candidates, there had to be preliminary polls first to reduce the number of candidates to eleven, with Re-Open Nominations being the final option. The draw for these preliminaries was done randomly, with seven candidates in each. The lowest three candidates from across both polls were to be eliminated, though Zaluen Kelva was automatically disqualified due to leaving The South Pacific. The other two to be eliminated were The First Order 1, who received two votes despite not posting a campaign, and Nagaland and South East Asam, the newest nation to run, who also received two votes.

The first main round of voting was very one-sided, with Auphelia receiving 40 votes, more than triple the number of second placed Midand, and therefore becoming the first confirmed Local Councillor for this term. The second poll was a closer affair, with Midand and Havenfell neck and neck for much of the three-day voting period. However, Midand pulled away towards the end, securing the second seat with 38 votes to Havenfell’s 23. The third poll was even closer, with North Prarie, whose Island Democratic Party had already seen member Midand elected, pulling into an early lead. However, Southern Progress Party member Havenfell clawed back the deficit, and in the end won comfortably, with 29 votes to North Prarie’s 16. Unsurprisingly for First Past the Post elections, candidates other than the two leaders in each poll did not fare well, with none of the third placed candidates achieving more than 6 votes. Voter turnout was reasonably consistent throughout the five voting periods, with the first four all having between 80 and 90 voters, though the fifth saw a drop-off to only 68 voters.

Having beaten off a very strong field of candidates, the elected Councillors have very high expectations to live up to, and we await to see what this term will bring.

≡≡≡≡

Westphalia, Twice Failed
BY Glen-Rhodes

With the defeat of the second Liberation resolution in the Security Council, it’s become a virtual certainty that the once-bourgeoning Westphalia will be wiped out of NationStates by the hands of The Black Hawks and Unknown. The destruction of Westphalia, a region with known defender ties, stands as a testament to the strength of raider piling armies, but also the weakness and disorganization of the defender establishment.

On February 4, 2018, TSP Delegate Seraph voted against the original Liberation resolution in the Security Council. He was advised by Prime Minister Roavin, Minister of Foreign Affairs Tim, and General-Commander Vietnam, to cast TSP’s 500-plus votes against the resolution. According to them, along with the leadership of The Grey Wardens, the Liberation was submitted too soon and wasn’t worded as well as they would like. Additionally, they attempted to argue that Westphalia’s security would be harmed by a Liberation, if The Black Hawks ended up leaving the region and the Liberation could not be repealed. Tim noted in the Security Council forums, “No point passing needless Liberations before there is a clear and looming danger.”

Fast forward roughly 20 days, to the shock of absolutely nobody, The Black Hawks announced with fanfare “the last of Westphalia’s native population was removed from the region.” Westphalia was on track to be destroyed—all natives purged, the region locked with a password, and ultimately refounded by raiders as a trophy. The defender establishment’s assessment of the threats turned out to be the farthest thing from prescient.

Big, but Fragile Egos

In the wake of the disaster in the Security Council, the defender world banded together with the victims of destruction in Westphalia. They vowed to fight to the bitter end, to organize a diplomatic and military response, and help Westphalians learn how to win their home back.
At least, that’s how things should have gone. Instead, The Grey Wardens spent the days following the destruction of Westphalia blaming the natives and a small defender organization, SWORD, for the debacle. The Grey Wardens told Westphalia to ban a sleeper agent; they didn’t. The Grey Wardens told Westphalia to institute a password; they didn’t. That much is true.

Had they banned the sleeper agent and put a password on the region, The Black Hawks wouldn’t have been able to invade. Yet, innocent regions have been making these mistakes for the past decade. Defenders are supposed to do everything in their power to help regardless, and show sympathy and empathy when things don’t do as desired.

The crassness of The Grey Wardens shows how big but fragile the modern defender ego is. Facing criticism, the new defender elite pointed the finger at inexperienced players. They wiped their hands and seemed unperturbed that a defender-friendly region was being destroyed. The mere suggestion that maybe The Grey Wardens and other large defender organizations had some level of fault, is being met with disdain for anybody who isn’t an expert military strategist. As Frattastan (Rejected Realms Foreign Affairs Officer, and Rejected Realms Army High-Commander) put it, “One might think that [Westphalia] retroactively ‘deserved’ destruction because it was piled too high for anyone to free it.”

A Lone Dissenter

Perhaps the Wardens know military strategy well. Where they clearly lack, however, is in political strategy. While high-level Wardens were arguing against the first Liberation resolution, Frattastan delivered prescient retorts.

First Warden Vincent Drake argued that it was too early for a resolution, because without a clear intent to destroy (like instituting a password), raiders would claim that they aren’t going to stay anyways. With 120+ raiders in the region, as Frattastan pointed out, and the rhetoric of the founder being an evil forum destroyer, it was plain as day that destruction was in the works.

Warden Fauxia, echoing the advice given to TSP Delegate Seraph, argued that the Liberation would put Westphalia in more danger if the raiders were to leave and putting a password in place is made impossible. Frattastan’s response shows the value in listening to a more experienced player:

“I don't buy the idea that the impossibility to password is a burden on security

If the Liberation is passed and the raiders leave, Westphalia will not be more vulnerable than it used to be: it didn't have a password most of the time.

And if the natives want to repeal it - whenever that's the case, one day or one year after - I doubt anyone will refuse that to them.”

The smartest guys in the room wanted us to believe that destruction wasn’t a foregone conclusion in early February. “Why?” is a question I’m not sure we could ever get a straight answer to. Were the Wardens acting out of spite, after SWORD didn’t take their advice? Or, perhaps more likely, the motley crew of cosmopolitan defenders are just not the greatest political movers of our time.

The Lobby

While there were legitimate concerns with the wording and timing of the Liberation resolution, it is beyond baffling why 10000 Islands stood alone as the major defender region voting in favor. The South Pacific and The Rejected Realms stacked against the Liberation, with a combined nearly 700 votes. It was truly a shameful display of disunity and callousness towards a region at threat of destruction.

Why would it have cost to vote in favor, after all? The timing and wording objections became irrelevant the moment the resolution reached the floor. At that instant, the only question to be answered was, “Should Westphalia be destroyed?” The decision to aid the Independents, imperialists, and raiders with defeating the resolution is a prime example of political ineptitude. The Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs should be made to answer why they issued their “nay” recommendation, and to explain the clearly wrong analyses they made in early February.

In trying to figure out why The Rejected Realms voted against the first Liberation, I also found a troubling conflict of interest. Quite a few Warden names popped up in the resolution thread in TRR’s forums, including our own Minister of Foreign Affairs. Why were Wardens lobbying against the resolution in foreign regions? Why would TSP’s Minister of Foreign Affairs go to TRR and argue the opposite of what TRR’s own Foreign Affairs Officer was trying to persuade his government to do?

In full disclosure, Tim is a legal citizen of The Rejected Realms. He has every right to lobby their Delegate. However, this behavior is unbecoming of a TSP Cabinet member, and having the legal right to do so does not change the ethics. Nor does it excuse the poor judgement in lobbying against the Liberation in the first place.

If defenders had taken the advice of one of the most long-time and experienced members of the community, perhaps things would be different. Instead, TRR's Delegate voted against the Liberation, along with TSP. In their corner were the familiar regions of Balder, Osiris, The West Pacific, Europeia, and of course the very raiders the Grey Wardens ostensibly live to fight against. Odd company to keep, for sure.

Lessons Learned?

The Grey Wardens may have believed in good faith that it was too soon to submit a Liberation. They were wrong every step of the way. The Black Hawks did always intend to destroy. They did install a password. And Westphalia will be refounded as a trophy. All of this after Grey Warden leaders confidently dismissed the original Liberation because they didn't see the threat of a password materializing.

When I brought this failure up in a discussion on Discord, numerous Warden-TSPers expressed confusion as to why a new Liberation wasn't submitted after February 25, the day the password predictably materialized. I share their confusion. Why didn't The Grey Wardens, the defenders responsible for rallying the community against the Liberation, submit a new one when their requirements were now met? Why were they more focused on a bizarre counter-propaganda campaign to deny that Westphalia was even a defender region?

When the second Liberation resolution, written by a member of 10000 Islands, reached quorum, defenders failed to stack in favor of it again. Those critical first hours of voting often decide the fate of any resolution. So where were they all? Again, the defender establishment blames anyone but themselves. It was the author’s responsibility to organize a stack, after all. The East Pacific could have been persuaded to vote in favor, had the author only politicked Yuno prior to submitting the resolution. TSP and TRR could’ve been alerted to stack when it hit the floor.

Warden autopsy reports tend to be heavy on some great lessons, but it leaves you wondering why exactly the Wardens seem to exempt themselves from strategic failures. If The Grey Wardens want to be the premier defender organization of our era, they need to do some organizing themselves, instead of keeping their advice for later so that they can tsk-tsk others for not following it.

Westphalia was a collective failure of the defender establishment. A know-it-all attitude coupled with a disdain for natives and "lesser" defenders as an obstacle to overcome, rather than groups to protect and educate, led The Grey Wardens to fumble in the most serious of ways. Our own Cabinet members misguided the Delegate with poor judgement sourced from the badly wrong defender establishment.

What comes next must be a reflection on what lessons need to be learned from this disaster. Security Council political strategies need to be rethought. And attitudes on natives need to be corrected. The destruction of Westphalia was not a matter of fate. Defenders can and must do better.

≡≡≡≡

The Drama Llamas
BY Nakari

She's beauty, she's grace, she'll spit in your face~~

Those who know TSP well will recognise the llama as its mascot – it is part of our forum logo and drama llamas are the government’s currency. But TSP’s theme is a tropical island paradise, far from the hilly, chilly Andes where llamas live in real life. So how did llamas get here?

The first reference of llamas in TSP was a thread talking about how cute they are, but llama references really seem to have increased after July 2004. At that time, a song about llamas was released, and was often referenced on the TSP forums. Often, llamas were mentioned alongside badgers – clearly associated because both animals rose to internet prominence through viral songs. While Badgers stayed relatively famous, the Llama Song faded, as did mentions of llamas in TSP…

Until 2012, when whispers were first heard of ‘the drama llama.’ The drama llama was an abstract entity of chaos that caused turmoil wherever it visited, and TSPers prayed for it to leave the region be. I like to think that the choice of llama was not only rhyme, but recollection of the meme status of llamas in TSP in 2004. In March 2014, Hileville introduced a currency system to the forums, known as ‘drama llamas’, which made llamas an official part of TSP for the first time, and references to llamas skyrocketed. By August, llamas were suggested as an official national animal.

Although the forums have since moved and the currency system gone, drama llamas remain the currency used in the Lampshade Bar, and government officials are paid salaries of drama llamas. Kringalia has the highest net worth: as of October he had earned over 19,125,000 drama llamas.

So that’s the TSP drama about llamas. How about in real life?

Llamas were used as pack animals at least since the Inca empire, since they can carry 30% of their body weight. The Inca empire’s success may have been built on the backs of llamas, as it formed in the area of South America with the most llamas, and its territory at its largest roughly correlated to the distribution of the llama population. They were used also for their meat and their fur, especially after the colonization of South America by Europe, as horses replaced llamas as pack animals.

Today, llamas are still used in South American hiking, for their fiber, and for their meat. In North America, llamas are employed on farms as guards for livestock, since they become extremely protective and have been known to kill attacking coyotes.

Possibly the most overlooked use of llamas is in medicine. Llamas, alpacas and other camelids have smaller antibodies in their blood than humans, so these antibodies can attack small viruses, and they are more stable than human antibodies. So scientists can give weak versions of diseases to llamas, as if they are vaccinating them, and the llama’s body will create antibodies against that disease without the llama being hurt. These antibodies are extracted from the llama’s blood and examined. The way that the llamas combat the disease can then be used to develop drugs that combat the disease in a similar way. Llama antibodies even have promise of fighting HIV. Recently, however, a method to create similar antibodies using yeast instead of llamas has been invented, so llamas may not have this use for much longer.

Llamas are surprisingly useful creatures. You can wear llamas, walk with llamas, eat llamas, even have your life saved by llamas. And you can visit the land of the llama, the South Pacific!

(Yes, this is an alpaca, but it’s so cute…)
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Escade
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Escade » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:30 pm

Glad to have TSPers write such a variety of content and honestly alpalcas so adorable <3

Malphe
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 02, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Malphe » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:40 pm

+1 for the Alpaca.
Malphe Vytherov

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:43 pm

I never thought I'd see the day I'd compliment you, Glen, but very well done op-ed on Westphalia.
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay