NATION

PASSWORD

What do your policemen look like?

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:35 am

The entire TurtleShroom police force (or, at least the humans) can be imagined by looking at this picture and reading the details below.

Not changing the hats, collars, badges, patches, shoulder items, or ties, give the officer a light, floor-length robe of that same drab color, a bulletproof vest, shiny black shoes, and their appropriate weapons.

For Highway Patrolmen, picture the same robed garb, but change the color scheme to grey and yello, and give them one of those flat-brimmed hats.

For those that think robed policemen are inefficient or fall over, I reccomend that you read TurtleShroom's official NS Feed page.

NS Feed for TurtleShroom wrote:Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare.

The robes are specially made to make running easy, and they are lightweight to prevent unnecessary sweating. Since some policemen can get rather large, we don't want any sweating.

{OOC: For those of you that don't know the picture, that's Don Knotts and Andy Griffith, respectively. They're the bomb.}

EDIT: Thanks to Nicksylvania's sillouette (and thank you Imerita for the explanation), I can now present a full portrait.

Last edited by TurtleShroom on Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Jesus Loves You and Died for You!!
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ש✞ש▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:41 am

City Police
County Police
Regional Police
National Police
IC Nation Name: The Glorious Empire of Luthoria
Monarch: Emperor Siegfried XVI

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:45 am

The national police, rather than the local forces (which vary considerably)?
That role is basically filled by elements from our traditional, cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies'... which the World Survey mistakes for
biker gangs
: So, Ursine bikers...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:04 pm

{OOC: By the way, where in the WORLD can I get a link to Nicksylvania's sillouette graphic? I see ti all the time and would appreciate if I could use it, too.}
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

British Dictatorship
Secretary

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby British Dictatorship » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:13 pm

All our police look like this:

The pathetic police of other nations are completely incapable of handling crime, police need to be well armed and equipped, just like the military.

Imeriata
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 02, 2009
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Imeriata » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:19 pm

TurtleShroom wrote:{OOC: By the way, where in the WORLD can I get a link to Nicksylvania's sillouette graphic? I see ti all the time and would appreciate if I could use it, too.}

OOC:Just take one of the many you can find here on NS that's what I did.
embassy program| IIWiki |The foreign units of the royal guard |The royal merchant guilds official storefront! (Now with toys)

So what? Let me indulge my oversized ego for a moment!
Astralsideria wrote:You, sir, are the greatest who ever did set foot upon this earth. If there were an appropriate emoticon, I would take my hat off to you.

Altamirus wrote:^War! War! I want to see 18th century soldiers go up againist flaming cats! Do it Imeriata! Do it Now!

Ramsetia wrote:
Imeriata wrote:you would think that you could afford better looking hussar uniforms for all that money...

Of course, Imeriata focuses on the important things in life.

Willing to help with all your MS paint related troubles.
Things I dislikes: Everything.

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:20 pm

British Dictatorship wrote:The pathetic police of other nations are completely incapable of handling crime, police need to be well armed and equipped, just like the military.

Our police happen to be spectacular at stopping criminals, thank you very much. Just look at what our page says about them! They are indeed well armed and funded.

Doesn't making them look like the military give the presence of a lack of posse comitatus, AKA making you look like police state? Policemen must do their jobs without crushing the Masses. There's a fine line between stopping crime and crushing your law-abiding citizens.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Saurisia
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisia » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:44 pm

This is what ordinary Police officers look like, though note this is Commander-In-Chief David Santorez, who wears a policeman-style uniform rather than the formal Grey one worn by other military officers:

Riot police attempting to deal with a riot, notice that these are Humans, rather than Dinosaurs:

There's the Special Counter Terrorism Directive (SCTD):

And finally, there's the Special Weapons Policing Unit (SWPU), our equivalent of SWAT:

SWPU operatives undergoing training

British Dictatorship wrote:The pathetic police of other nations are completely incapable of handling crime, police need to be well armed and equipped, just like the military.

Mm-hm, I'll bet our Dino policemen will kick your policemen's asses any day!
Israslovakahzerbajan wrote:Stealing a copy of The Land Before Time.
Coccygia wrote:The only good mammal is a dead mammal.
Pythria wrote:Fascist dictatorship run by dinosaurs. I like it
Tartonica wrote:2/10 because dinosaurs do NOT rule nations (Except for Saurisia)
The Tavan Race wrote:Yeah, your nation scares me
Wolohanistan wrote:Saurisia - Dinosaur Dictatorship is the best dictatorship, not that we support that sort of thing.
Conoga wrote:Dinosaurs-in-Bikinis-Boy
Lancov wrote:Condemn, because we now have to go soak our brains in bleach.
The Floor Kippers wrote:We Have Dinosaurs.....Argument Rendered Invalid
Grossrheinland Reich wrote:DINOSAUR FETISHIST
Tetraca wrote:Also: yay, Saurisia's here! This thread just became more awesome :D
FT Population: 1,000,000,000,000
DINOSAURS RULE!

Glugerstut
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Glugerstut » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:03 pm

British Dictatorship wrote:All our police look like this:

The pathetic police of other nations are completely incapable of handling crime, police need to be well armed and equipped, just like the military.

take a look at our SA members and gestapo members and tell me who's better equiped

SA Member(Also SS Uniform):

Gestapo Member(Which has many different units):
Last edited by Glugerstut on Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
your crazy, Matches my crazy - Wade Wilson/Dead-Pool
9 Out Of 10 Voices In My Head Agree, That I'm Sane...
Random Guy
I Don't Suffer From Insanity, I Enjoy It!
Psych Ward # 00001Zombie Jesus

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:18 pm

Saurisia wrote:Image

Saurisa, your posts never get old. My cops and your cops are my personal favorites.

I wonder if anyone else really knows the Anday Griffith reference I made... :|
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Saurisia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisia » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:23 pm

Ah yes, I wonder if you are familiar with the source I got the picture from...
Tartonica wrote:2/10 because dinosaurs do NOT rule nations (Except for Saurisia)
Wolohanistan wrote:Saurisia - Dinosaur Dictatorship is the best dictatorship, not that we support that sort of thing.
Tetraca wrote:Also: yay, Saurisia's here! This thread just became more awesome :D
DINOSAURS RULE!

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Saurisia wrote:Ah yes, I wonder if you are familiar with the source I got the picture from...

OOC: Nope. Sorry. :(

(OOC: I still love the image, anyway.)
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Dingerhollow
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dingerhollow » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:32 pm

The DDF:
For God and the Motherland!

i want you to ask xiao permission for you to open an africn sector

I dont like Africa its to hot...

well than i want you to run the south american sector its already set up

do I have to live in South America, cuz thats like frekin crazy talk your talkin right there

look i offered you cites and your complaining live on the island of curacoa its a small island and very comfortable

hey, dont get smart with m Mr. Manly, now if you need me, I will be with Hanz in our cottage...
]

Gnaea
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gnaea » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:39 pm

Communities in the Commonwealth of Gnaea are usually so small and tight-knit that ordinary crime is unheard of. Nevertheless, most have a small organization of (exclusively male) volunteers, usually the only people allowed out with lanterns after curfew. If the city is walled, these men will stand upon them, or they will patrol the alleyways. They usually also have the duty of opening gates and lighting fires around the town at daybreak. While the exact organization of such brotherhoods varies from town to town, most are organized at the local Churchhouse, with shifts established at the beginning of each month. Most volunteers are retirees who have nothing better to do, or young apprentices and students eager to earn brownie points. Volunteers can choose to carry arms if they wish, but most don't and simply have a whistle or horn to alert the town if they see anything amiss.

A typicall watchman from one of Gnaea's villages:

Dazchan
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dazchan » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:29 pm

Our policemen wear black trenchcoats and carry truncheons.
If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Saurisia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisia » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:35 pm

TurtleShroom wrote:
Saurisia wrote:Ah yes, I wonder if you are familiar with the source I got the picture from...

OOC: Nope. Sorry. :(

(OOC: I still love the image, anyway.)

OOC: Hmph, a darn shame, oh well! And thanks for appreciating the image, it was the only good one of a sentient Dinosaur I could easily find without resorting to drawing one myself.
DINOSAURS RULE!

Vidalea
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vidalea » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:35 pm

The City Police wear a olive green full-length overcoat, a peaked cap, and a badge.

The color of the shoulder patches, the color of the ribbon on the cap, and the badge differ from city to city.

The Imperial Guard wear blue full-length overcoats, a peaked cap, and a short dark grey cape.

Colmark
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Colmark » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:17 pm

The Confederate Troopers- they have jurisdiction across all of Colmark
They are supplemented by the Local Area Police (LAPS) who patrol cities and large towns
Rural areas are the domain of the Sherrifs, who are completely bad ass and shoot 40% of all people they try to stop.
There's a breathless hush in the Close to-night
Ten to make and the match to win
A bumping pitch and a blinding light,
An hour to play, and the last man in.
And it's not for the sake of a ribboned coat.
Or the selfish hope of a season's fame,
But his captain's hand on his shoulder smote
"Play up! Play up! And play the game!"

Communist Xomaniax
Minister

Founded: May 02, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Communist Xomaniax » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:33 pm

Our standard police:

Our Riot police:

you won't know who our secret police are. They dress in plain clothes.
MT: Democratic People's Republic of Phansi Uhlanga
FT: Ozun Freeholds Confederation

tren hard, eat clen, anavar give up
The strongest bond of human sympathy outside the family relation should be one uniting working people of all nations and tongues and kindreds.

The Phallic Squid
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Phallic Squid » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:41 pm

Dingerhollow
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dingerhollow » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:57 pm

The Phallic Squid wrote:Image

:eyebrow:
For God and the Motherland!

i want you to ask xiao permission for you to open an africn sector

I dont like Africa its to hot...

well than i want you to run the south american sector its already set up

do I have to live in South America, cuz thats like frekin crazy talk your talkin right there

look i offered you cites and your complaining live on the island of curacoa its a small island and very comfortable

hey, dont get smart with m Mr. Manly, now if you need me, I will be with Hanz in our cottage...
]

The Kingston Isles
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kingston Isles » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:04 pm

TurtleShroom wrote:For those that think robed policemen are inefficient or fall over, I reccomend that you read TurtleShroom's official NS Feed page.

NS Feed for TurtleShroom wrote:Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare.

The robes are specially made to make running easy, and they are lightweight to prevent unnecessary sweating. Since some policemen can get rather large, we don't want any sweating.

Just because your NS Feed says "crime is unknown" doesn't mean you can claim that one of the most ridiculous uniforms posted to date is actually effective. By this logic, as long as my crime rate is low on my nation page, I could say my "effective" police force is made up of LSD-using kangaroos? Come on.

3 Main Reasons robes are ineffective off the top of my head:
1. Police officers are often around scenes of accidents; a robe can easily get snagged on jagged metal or catch on fire. Not to mention that officers tend to enter and exit vehicles frequently. Robes are just asking to get caught in a car door.
2. Police officers often have to chase after suspects. I'm not just talking running in a straight line, I mean jumping over fences, switching directions quickly, moving through crowds and around cramped spaces (all of which can easily happen in a foot pursuit). Let's see how long that robe stays on.
3. Police officers get into fights with suspects. Not just a punch or two, but knock-down, drag-out, 'to the death' fights. A robe is just another thing for the bad guy to grab on to and your officers to get tangled up in. No matter what, robes will limit one's movement somehow. This is never a good thing.

Basically, it comes down to the fact that full-length robes are totally ineffective, detrimental to your officer's work, and even downright dangerous. The police already have enough to worry about, don't hinder them from doing their duties any more by giving them ridiculous uniforms.
This is a heavily satirical Victorian-era nation.

If you find yourself "offended" by any of the posts I make, think twice before getting out your flamethrower.
I'm mocking these attitudes and ideologies, not promoting them.

If you're having any trouble imagining it, this should help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCkFhafk26A&feature=related
- - -
The Kingston Isle's Factbook: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=57827
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.21

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:18 pm

The Kingston Isles wrote:3 Main Reasons robes are ineffective off the top of my head:
1. Police officers are often around scenes of accidents; a robe can easily get snagged on jagged metal or catch on fire. Not to mention that officers tend to enter and exit vehicles frequently. Robes are just asking to get caught in a car door.
2. Police officers often have to chase after suspects. I'm not just talking running in a straight line, I mean jumping over fences, switching directions quickly, moving through crowds and around cramped spaces (all of which can easily happen in a foot pursuit). Let's see how long that robe stays on.
3. Police officers get into fights with suspects. Not just a punch or two, but knock-down, drag-out, 'to the death' fights. A robe is just another thing for the bad guy to grab on to and your officers to get tangled up in. No matter what, robes will limit one's movement somehow. This is never a good thing.

OOC: You have very good points. VERY good points. Thank you. I'll merge those into consideration and create ideas to work around it. I never said that robes were the most effective things on the earth, but it's definately working if crime is nearly unknown. In fact, I can't remember saying "these are very effective at fighting crime and we reccomend them", I can only remember saying "this is what police dress in".

IC:
1. We've incorporated that into our police training. Billions of skillets get you good police regardkess of setbacks. Our officers know what to do if they get snagged and how to get around or out of it. When you spend a billion dollars developing a uniform, you take these things into consideration.

2. It's not like our officers can't throw their robe off when it's truly hindering. Despite what it looks like, the robe can be removed quite easily, belt included. The material is designed for that. We didn't sink a billion Skillets into designing and testing the uniforms for nothing. Also, in TurtleShroom, you could face a turtle as your criminal enemy. Those guys are slow unless in cars.

3. This is very true, but most crime in TurtleShroom is white-collar, not street riots and "gangstas". This being said, I don't really know exactly how a criminal can use a policeman's robe against him without grabbing the cop and resulting in the cop's reflexes kicking in and taking him down, but we will definately incorporate this into training.

OOC: Robed policemen shackle me from god-modding. Some of these "police officers" have weapons that could 3p|c4LLy wH00p t3h BAd gUYZ in seconds, and weapons and uniforms that seem more fitting for the military. My nation has posse comitatus, so the police are distinct from the military. In RL, policemen don't catch everyone, and not every good guy wins. With the policemen of some nations, that doesn't seem to be the case. I had to balence "unknown crime and well-funded police" with "cops don't always win". I have over-shackled MANY items because of my horrid fear and paranoia of god-modding. If there's one thing I never want to be, it's a god-modder.

OOC:

As for robes being crazy, I have and continue to see crazier things. The only limit here is imagination.

Vidalea wrote:*snip*

Vidalea also has robed police.

Novus Nicae seem to have their small-town policewomen in skirts without anything for their knees (falling would hurt), and Jalanat has somehow contracted Hooters' Restaurant to provide officers. Hermina's Gestapo seems to be robed as well. Gnea's are awesome but unarmed, and Phalic Squid... doesn't seem to HAVE cops.
Last edited by TurtleShroom on Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:19 pm

Colmark wrote:Rural areas are the domain of the Sherrifs, who are completely bad and shoot 40% of all people they try to stop.

:clap:
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Seperate Vermont
Senator

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperate Vermont » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:42 pm

TurtleShroom, you remind me of this:

You can take the Sherrif out of the Old Town, but you cant take the Old Town away from the Sherrif :lol:
No, we are not obsessed with Maple Syrup. Speaking of that, Would you like some 100% Pure Vermont Maple Syrup? We have a surplus this year.
http://www.mechiwiki.com/nationstates/index.php?nation=Seperate_Vermont
GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information