NATION

PASSWORD

Amen for separation of Church and State

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Amen for separation of Church and State

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:57 pm

Tiesabre wrote:And yes, SCOTUS HAS rule on 'In God We Trust' twice in fact. Here, I'll get the cases, again, and prove you wrong.

Good luck with that. I won't hold my breath.

EDIT:

Actually, I'll help you out. You cited Elk Grove Unified School District v. Newdow, 542 U.S. 1 (2004)--which (1) had nothing to do with the motto and was about the Pledge and (2) wasn't decided on the merits--and dicta from Lynch v. Donnelly, 465 U.S. 668 (1984). The latter is helpful to you, but I suggest you look up what "dicta" means. The case was about the legality of the inclusion of a creche among various "season greetings" on public property, not the motto. I also suggest that SCOTUS hasn't followed the majority line in Lynch in later cases.
Last edited by The Cat-Tribe on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:58 pm

Tiesabre wrote:
And yes, SCOTUS HAS rule on 'In God We Trust' twice in fact. Here, I'll get the cases, again, and prove you wrong.

Really? I truly want to see this...
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:00 pm

Muravyets wrote:TCT already addressed that very question in an earlier post. Apparently, you don't want to read the thread any more than you want to read the US Constitution

1) Seeing as the post I was responding to was before the one he posted in, you can't really blame me.

2) I thought it would be quicker to ask him than search through the internet for it.

Muravyets wrote:Well, how special for the UK. But we're talking about the US here, and we have different rules on account of we're a different country and all, thanks, bye.

I'm merely saying that here in England (different thing to the U.K., the U.K. as a whole has no state religion) there is no problem with having an official state religion. There aren't any averse effects.
Original join date March 25th 2008, bitches!
Economic Left/Right: 1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.12

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:00 pm

Tiesabre wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
Tiesabre wrote:90% of Americans agree with keeping 'In God We Trust' on the money. ((Wikipedia))

Other people have already attacked the biggest glaring flaws in your argument, especially your attempt to cite legal precedent and then dismiss legal precedent when it turned out not to support you.

I would just like to point out an additional flaw, the first one of the gate for you: The logical fallacy of "appeal to popularity."

90% of any group agreeing with something does not make it right. Therefore, even on this attempt to cite general opinion, you fail to invalidate the attacks on your points.

I've already mentioned something like that in a later post, pay attention

Yes, I know, but your half-hearted attempt to shrug off that logical fallacy, which has the effect of invalidating the point that was dependent on it, didn't actually work as a retraction of the flawed point. So I consider it still in play. I just like to be thorough and make sure that everyone knows exactly how many holes there are in your argument so far.

I've already mention the legal precedent too. But my dismissal of his was the fact that my legal cases I brought up were not 120 years old. Thusly the new legal case thumps the old legal case.

As in Legal Case one made 120 years ago Says Slavery is cool man. Legal case two made 90 years ago says Slavery is illegal. Case Two thumps case one.

Nope, sorry, it doesn't work that way. You see, for Case Two to "thump" (did you mean "trump"?) Case One, Case Two would actually have to un-do the decision in Case One. As TCT pointed out, that is not the case in the precedents you cited. You attempted to prove that his citations were undone by yours, but you failed to prove such.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:01 pm

Tiesabre wrote:And yes, SCOTUS HAS rule on 'In God We Trust' twice in fact. Not directly relating to 'In God We Trust' but ruling on the legality of in God we trust.

*sigh
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:05 pm

No Names Left Damn It wrote:
Muravyets wrote:TCT already addressed that very question in an earlier post. Apparently, you don't want to read the thread any more than you want to read the US Constitution

1) Seeing as the post I was responding to was before the one he posted in, you can't really blame me.

2) I thought it would be quicker to ask him than search through the internet for it.

In other words, you haven't been reading the thread. Lazy.

Also, you should know better than that with TCT, the Master of Massive Quotes. Having him post it again will not save you reading time.

Muravyets wrote:Well, how special for the UK. But we're talking about the US here, and we have different rules on account of we're a different country and all, thanks, bye.

I'm merely saying that here in England (different thing to the U.K., the U.K. as a whole has no state religion) there is no problem with having an official state religion. There aren't any averse effects.

Which is utterly and completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. The US quit being the UK for a reason, and one of those was that what you claim is not a problem for the UK most certainly was and is a problem for the US. As I said, I'm so glad that you don't have to deal with the same issues we do, but to use an analogy, you not being allergic to peanuts does not set a helpful example to someone who is allergic to peanuts in re how to deal with peanuts.

(Oh, btw, I think there could be a make-able argument that, if you lot had not kicked out all your Puritans to North America, you might have a different recent history with religion than what you do have.)
Last edited by Muravyets on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )

Irgaard
Attaché

Founded: Jul 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Irgaard » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:05 pm

There was an old lady handing out pamphlets outside of my school on Halloween warning us not to go out and commit to demonic rituals, and that while it may be fun, we were very close to defying God.

It almost ruined Halloween for me. Almost.

:rofl:
Last edited by Irgaard on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LunaticGoofballs wrote:I think that Quebec is mostly populated by pasty dull people who somehow thing that their desire for independence somehow makes them more interesting than they really are.

They are the Texas of Canada.

"For King and Country, for Irgaard and freedom!"
-King Hrolf of Syblheim, current King of Irgaard
"Why get someone to do a job for you, when you can do the job and boast about it later?"
-Old Irgaardian Proverb

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:07 pm

Irgaard wrote:There was an old lady handing out pamphlets outside of my school on Halloween warning us not to go out and commit to demonic rituals, and that while it may be fun, we were very close to defying God.

Paganism=Devil worship

Duh. :palm: How can you have the moral indecency to go out and do Satan's bidding?
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:07 pm

No Names Left Damn It wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:I'm no expert on religious freedom in the UK, either. I just don't buy your blanket statement that no government religious discrimination occurs there.

The way you've phrased that seems to indicate to me that your source does not provide evidence of Pro-Church of England or Church of Scotland discrimination by the respective governments of each country. Of course as I was unable to read most of the link, I could be totally wrong, but it seems to me as if you can't prove the above.

Or, perhaps, I don't want to be bothered with cutting-and-pasting from the source when the whole question is an irrelevant side-issue.
Last edited by The Cat-Tribe on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:09 pm

Irgaard wrote:There was an old lady handing out pamphlets outside of my school on Halloween warning us not to go out and commit to demonic rituals, and that while it may be fun, we were very close to defying God.

i hate those nasty old fundamentalists who try to ruin halloween for kids.
whatever

Irgaard
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Irgaard » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:10 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Paganism=Devil worship

Duh. :palm: How can you have the moral indecency to go out and do Satan's bidding?

I was unawares that dressing up in costumes is Satanic!

I need to inform the nearest Catholic Boy's choir! Their souls are in DANGER.
LunaticGoofballs wrote:I think that Quebec is mostly populated by pasty dull people who somehow thing that their desire for independence somehow makes them more interesting than they really are.

"Why get someone to do a job for you, when you can do the job and boast about it later?"
-Old Irgaardian Proverb

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:11 pm

Ashmoria wrote:

i hate those nasty old fundamentalists who try to ruin halloween for kids.

I'm actually hoping that the pamphlet was actually worded the way Irgaard says. That would enhance Halloween for me. ;)

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:11 pm

Irgaard wrote:
Paganism=Devil worship

You bigot! How dare you insult Catholocism! :evil:
Last edited by Buffett and Colbert on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:15 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:In Roark v. South Iron R-1 School District, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit affrimed a Missouri U.S. District court's grant of a permanent injunction barring distribution of Bibles on school property during the school day.

Wish they'dve done this in Mississippi while I was in School....

It was always annoying as fuck when those guys would go around trying to convert you, and trick you into showing up for one of their "Student Meetings" >:(

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:16 pm

Irgaard wrote:
Paganism=Devil worship

Idk, Ive seen the Pope, one might say he's asking for it, ;)

(I kid, I kid)

Irgaard
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Irgaard » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:21 pm

Maurepas wrote:Idk, Ive seen the Pope, one might say he's asking for it, ;)

(I kid, I kid)

I want to drive the Pope Mobile, so very badly.

I am only assisting my good Christian brothers! Because all of us Americans all Christian! And if you're not, you're a dirty commie!

Muravyets wrote:I'm actually hoping that the pamphlet was actually worded the way Irgaard says. That would enhance Halloween for me. ;)

I can't actually recall what it exactly said but I do remember it saying something along the lines of, "While Halloween is a fun and enjoyable activity, costume themes such as Harry Potter encourages kids to do sorcery. All sorcery and magic comes from Satan, and is a direct affront to God"

Like I said. If it wasn't so LOLworthy, it would've ruined Halloween for me.

Liked how she assumed everyone at the School was a Christian, though.
Last edited by Irgaard on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Old Irgaardian Proverb

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:23 pm

Maurepas wrote:Idk, Ive seen the Pope, one might say he's asking for it, ;)

(I kid, I kid)

Thou shalt repent for thine blasphemes! :evil:

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:23 pm

Irgaard wrote:
I can't actually recall what it exactly said but I do remember it saying something along the lines of, "While Halloween is a fun and enjoyable activity, costume themes such as Harry Potter encourages kids to do sorcery. All sorcery and magic comes from Satan, and is a direct affront to God"

Like I said. If it wasn't so LOLworthy, it would've ruined Halloween for me.

Liked how she assumed everyone at the School was a Christian, though.

They distributed that around here! If only I wasnt too old to trick-or-treat, I had such an urge to do so after I read it, :lol2:

I still broke out my old Grim Reaper costume to hand out candy in though, :D

Irgaard
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Irgaard » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:24 pm

Maurepas wrote:They distributed that around here! If only I wasnt too old to trick-or-treat, I had such an urge to do so after I read it, :lol2:

HAH! What state are you in? I was in Northern California at the time. Still am, but I switched from the Yuba-Sutter area to Elk Grove.

-Old Irgaardian Proverb

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:25 pm

Irgaard wrote:I can't actually recall what it exactly said but I do remember it saying something along the lines of, "While Halloween is a fun and enjoyable activity, costume themes such as Harry Potter encourages kids to do sorcery. All sorcery and magic comes from Satan, and is a direct affront to God"

Harry Potter fills children's minds with horrible and nasty ideas of witchcraft and Devil Worship! They should be banned and burned! :evil:
Daniel Radcliffe is an atheist! He worships the devil! He eats babies!

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:27 pm

Irgaard wrote:I can't actually recall what it exactly said but I do remember it saying something along the lines of, "While Halloween is a fun and enjoyable activity, costume themes such as Harry Potter encourages kids to do sorcery. All sorcery and magic comes from Satan, and is a direct affront to God"

Harry Potter fills children's minds with horrible and nasty ideas of witchcraft and Devil Worship! They should be banned and burned! :evil:

He fucks horses.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:29 pm

Ifreann wrote:

He fucks horses.

And this is very sexy... :D

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:31 pm

Ifreann wrote:

He fucks horses.

Goddamit, he's inbreeding too?? :p

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:35 pm

Reply:
"Oh, yeah. like that book where the old wizard turned his staff into a snake, he parted the waters so that he and the people he was with could walk on dry land... and let's not forget when he caused food to fall from the sky and water to gush out of the rocks! then later in the book there was another man who walked on water, raised the dead, and created food." :rofl:
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:37 pm

Irgaard wrote:
Maurepas wrote:They distributed that around here! If only I wasnt too old to trick-or-treat, I had such an urge to do so after I read it, :lol2:

HAH! What state are you in? I was in Northern California at the time. Still am, but I switched from the Yuba-Sutter area to Elk Grove.

Mississippi, It is virtually run by the Churches, :roll:

Fortunately, the Coast isnt quite as bad as some of the rest of the State, :)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General