NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Minority Near Toxicity

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Pavonistade
Minister

Founded: Jan 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Minority Near Toxicity

Postby Pavonistade » Thu May 21, 2015 10:33 pm

OOC: It's ages since I drafted my last issue, so I'll give issue-drafting another shot. Also, I'm not sure if a similar issue has covered this topic before.

Name:
Minority Near Toxicity

Description:
@@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are divided on how to respond after the death of an ethnic minority family that lived dangerously close to a hazardous waste dump.

Validity:
Valid primarily for nations with low income equality and low culture. Also valid if there are low eco-friendliness, low environmental beauty, and/or high toxicity.

Options
[option]"Environmental racism isn't something we always hear in our daily life," says Save Our Souls Organization (S.O.S.O.) chairperson @@RANDOMNAME@@, "but just because we don't hear about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist! I see poor souls or minorities living in abandoned houses, sleeping on top of landfills, or even strolling around life-threatening dumps. They can die from radiation poisoning, being stabbed by littered scissors... it's endless. @@LEADER@@, the time to save the weak is not after something bad happens; it's before."
[effect]government attempts to isolate various locations from selected groups are met with accusations of discrimination.

[option]"The time to save the what!?" shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, leader of the Organization Heading Noticeable Opposition (O.H.N.O). "You're going to waste money on some broke or immigrant bums just because a few of them died? It's natural for everyone not @@DEMONYM@@ or rich enough to live in anywhere they can find. Besides I'm sure that nobody in @@NAME@@ is stupid enough to live in... something like rotting houses that are ready to crumble. Just give taxpayers a well-deserved break, and leave these ungrateful pigs alone."
[effect]@@NAME@@ sees a spike in the number of residents in overwhelmingly-dangerous zones.

Name:
Minority Near Toxicity

Description:
@@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ are divided on how to respond after the death of an ethnic minority family that lived dangerously close to a hazardous waste dump.

Validity:
Valid primarily for nations with low income equality and low culture. Also valid if there are low eco-friendliness, low environmental beauty, and/or high toxicity.

Options
[option]"Environmental racism isn't something we always hear in our daily life," says Save Our Souls Organization (S.O.S.O.) chairperson @@RANDOMNAME@@, "but just because we don't hear about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist! More and more poor souls are living closer to horrendous locations that they shouldn't be near. We have to get every single one of them away before they perish like that family. @@LEADER@@, the time to save the weak is not after the bad happens; it's before."
[effect]the @@DEMONYM@@ government enforces an exodus for everyone living too close to landfills.

[option]"The time to save the what!?" shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, leader of the Organization Heading Noticeable Opposition (O.H.N.O). "You're going to waste money on some lazy slums just because a few of them are gone? It's natural for those too poor to afford a living to live in anywhere they can find. I'm sure that nobody in @@NAME@@ is stupid enough to live in... falling buildings or something, but just do me a favor and give the taxpayers a well-deserved break."
[effect]the lowly and the well-off alike are finding rotting houses to be luxurious residences.
Last edited by Pavonistade on Sun May 31, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -0.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.97
President: Calvin Elmore
Vice President: Otakta Sgriki
IIwiki | Glossary | I don't use NS stats
[NEWS] Pavonistadian researchers make breakthrough in Terahertz wave generation and modulation | Selective screening protocols in place amid coronavirus concerns | "The USA is the greatest threat to Pavonistadian security," states interior minister

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 26, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Fri May 22, 2015 6:09 am

I like the premise of this issue: it's an interesting variation from the usual environmental issues. However, I don't think the effects match very well to the options, or at least, they're not all that well worded.

Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf » Fri May 22, 2015 8:36 am

I like it.

I support insanely high tax rates, do you?
This is Bunny:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
☻/This is Bob, copy& paste him in
/▌ your sig so Bob can take over the
/ \ world
10 - Completly Peaceful.
9 - Peaceful.
8 - Mostly Peaceful.
7 - Small Scale Crime.
6 - Major Crime.
5 - Terrorist Acts.
4 - Small Scale War.
3 - Moderatly Problematic War.
2 - Full-Scale Conflict.
1 - Nuclear War.
0 - Apocalypse.

Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Fri May 22, 2015 12:37 pm

I like the issue idea, although I did feel like the whole ethnic minority aspect was a bit lost in option 2. Maybe just add a throw-away line about how it's more than just minorities.

Also in option two, did you mean ''slums'' or ''bums''. You might have meant ''slums'' all along, but I for one have never heard of a lazy slum, or hard-working suburbia etc...

I have to agree with @Golgothastan here, the effect lines feel a bit out of place. A case could be made for the first one staying in, but the second one doesn't make much sense. Why would the well-off find rotting houses luxurious? And what link is there between rotting houses and living too close to a toxic waste dump?

Great idea though! Why didn't I come up with this one?!
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Pavonistade
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Pavonistade » Fri May 22, 2015 4:02 pm

Thank you all for your input, I'll try and edit the draft to fit with the inputs as much as possible.

Annihilators of Chan Island wrote:I like the issue idea, although I did feel like the whole ethnic minority aspect was a bit lost in option 2. Maybe just add a throw-away line about how it's more than just minorities.

Also in option two, did you mean ''slums'' or ''bums''. You might have meant ''slums'' all along, but I for one have never heard of a lazy slum, or hard-working suburbia etc...

I have to agree with @Golgothastan here, the effect lines feel a bit out of place. A case could be made for the first one staying in, but the second one doesn't make much sense. Why would the well-off find rotting houses luxurious? And what link is there between rotting houses and living too close to a toxic waste dump?

Great idea though! Why didn't I come up with this one?!

Regarding the actual meaning of option two, I was attempting to refer more to urban decay than to slums. It is also something that ethnic minorities or low-income people live in or near in the case of environmental racism. I misunderstood, bum should be the word I should use. It is nevertheless something that I should adjust. I'll also relate option 2 a bit more closely to ethnic minorities.

While the correlation between rotting houses (I assume that they risk collapse) and living close to toxic dumps may not be clear, they are all part of the issue that the lowly/ethnic minority tend to live nearer to hazardous locations than the well-off/ethnic majority. But I agree that the effects should make more sense and I will have that edited.
Last edited by Pavonistade on Fri May 22, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass:
[NEWS] Pavonistadian researchers make breakthrough in Terahertz wave generation and modulation | Selective screening protocols in place amid coronavirus concerns | "The USA is the greatest threat to Pavonistadian security," states interior minister

Pavonistade
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Pavonistade » Sun May 24, 2015 11:14 pm

Just wanting to give this a bump. (nevertheless I do know this forum doesn't have a lot of activity)
Last edited by Pavonistade on Sun May 24, 2015 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass:

Pavonistade
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Pavonistade » Sun May 31, 2015 1:58 pm

Seeing as there isn't much more input, I will have this draft submitted. Again, thanks to everyone that have given suggestions to make this better.
Political Compass:

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?