NATION

PASSWORD

Issues FAQ and Repetition

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Sirocco
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Issues FAQ and Repetition

Postby Sirocco » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:00 am

Frequently Asked Questions About Issues

If there's anything you don't understand, isn't in the FAQ, or that you wish to be clarified, ask it on this thread and, if it's not already in my thread on how to write issues, I'll put it here. I sometimes talk about issues in my blog, too, if you're interested: http://siroccothemod.blogspot.com/

How do I submit an issue?

In your sidebar there is a link that says 'Issues'. Click it, and if you have 500 million citizens or over, a link will be there that asks you if you wish to submit an issue. Remember to read the guidelines.

Why does my nation have to have a population of over 500 million?

Because hopefully by then submitters will know what a good issue looks like.

Argh, I don't know where to begin writing one! How do I know what I can put in?

Take a look at the stickies of the forum, and other issues. This should help give a general idea of what issues consist of. Remember that you don't need to add the [stats] when submitting your issue, so don't fret if you can't figure out exactly how an option affects your nation (that's my job).

Can you give me any advice on writing issues?

Sure, I made a thread for that very purpose: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=80

If you want personal advice on how to make your issue better, you can always e-mail me at sirocco@nationstates.net

How many issues are there?

Check here: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=88

Can I submit suggestions for edits to already existing issues?

No. As far as new options for old issues are concerned, it's not going to happen. As for spelling errors or contextual mistakes, you can post them to the typos sticky in this forum.

How many options can I use when writing an issue?

Any number greater than one.

How do I know if my issue has been accepted?

If your issue has been accepted and put into the game, you'll get a telegram congratulating you, and you will get the issue you wrote to decide on as well, even if it's not valid for your nation.

How do I know if it's been rejected?

When an issue submission is deleted, the author is not informed. A good idea is to memorise when you submitted it.

Why?

Because the issue editors get to look at player-submitted issues in batches of about 2000 issues each which span across particular time-periods. If your issue was submitted in a batch which has been finished, then it has either been deleted or coded into the game. The admins show us these batches one at a time. Once we've worked through one, we can go to the next one. If you want to know whether your issue has been rejected yet or not, simply look here:

Issues from July 2003 to the 29th of September 2008 have been finished. All issues submitted during that period have either been deleted or coded and put into the game.

The batch we're working on now extends from the 29th of September 2008 to the 23rd of July 2009.

If my issue has been rejected, can I submit it again?

Yes, but I'd think about why it was rejected before doing so and make the necessary changes.

How long will it take for you to get to my issue?

It varies a lot I'm afraid. Could take days, could take months, it depends what batch it's in.

Update: COULD TAKE YEARS. :shock:

What happens to my nation if I dismiss an issue?

Absolutely nothing. A popular myth is that dismissing issues lowers your population's growth rate. This is not true.

I've already had this issue, so why am I getting it again?

There are only so many issues in the game. Eventually you are going to get ones you've ruled on previously again. If you want there to be more issues, why not submit one?

Is there a way to review all the issues about which I have already decided to see what my answers were?

No, you can only view the effects of the last few issues you answered in your nation's description.

Is there any truth to the rumour that there are two sets of issues, large nation and small nation? if so when is one considered a "large" nation?

There is only one set of issues. You can only get the first 31 (the ones that Max Barry wrote) for the first two weeks or so of playing before getting player-submitted issues afterwards.

What do I do if someone copies my issue when I post it in this forum?

There's not much you can do unless we notice two issues being exactly the same and being submitted by two different people. If we come across an issue which has been copied, we can check out this forum to see who proposed it originally. If it's your idea that's been stolen, well, there's not much we can do. If you're particularly worried about your issue, you can ask for advice on it by e-mailing me at sirocco@nationstates.net

My issue got accepted but it looks nothing like what I wrote! Why?

Some issues have to be extensively re-written to be of the high quality we want.

How many issue editors are there?

It varies. Currently, the only editor who works with any regularity is myself (Sirocco).

How do I get to be an issue editor?

Only game moderators can edit issues, as it requires access to the modcentre. I'm in the middle of changing this old tradition to allow players to help too by inventing a contest. I may or may not do this again if more are needed, we'll just have to wait and see.

Why can't we have more than two issues a day?

There's plenty of reasons as to why this is including the number of descriptors that fit on your nation, coding, values, etc. but in the end the answer will always be the same to any requests to make it bigger. The answer is no.

Is there a sticky anywhere listing the [stats] part of every issue option?

You don't actually need to put [stats] in, that's something that the issue editors will pore over anyway. And there's many variables that are secret too, so there's not much point in this. Besides: not knowing's half the fun!

So, what are all the different industries and government departments?

Since you asked so nicely... (copied from Myrth's old thread)

Industries

* Automobile Manufacturing
* Cheese Exports
* Basket Weaving
* Information Technology (IT)
* Pizza Delivery
* Trout Fishing
* Gambling
* Book Publishing
* Retail
* Furniture Restoration
* Door-to-door Insurance Sales
* Uranium Mining
* Woodchipping
* Soda Sales
* Beef-based Agriculture
* Arms Manufacturing
* Tourism

Government Departments

* Social Welfare
* Healthcare
* Education
* Religion & Spirituality
* Defense
* Law & Order
* Commerce
* Public Transport
* The Environment
* Social Equality
Last edited by Sedgistan on Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:26 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Fixing size tags

The Most Glorious Hack
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 11, 2003
Anarchy

Issue Repetition

Postby The Most Glorious Hack » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:55 am

Every week or so, someone posts a question along the following lines:

"I keep getting the same issues over and over again. What's up with that?"

Granted, some are more or less polite about it, but the question remains. So, let's answer it once and for all, and be done with it.

• There is a limited number of issues. At the writing of this announcement, there are around 200 issues for the game to choose from.
  • Not all nations qualify for every issue.
  • If you're a capitalist country, you don't qualify for issues about introducing capitalism.
  • If you're a democracy, you don't qualify for issues about granting people the right to vote.
  • If you have destroyed insert industry here you don't qualify for issues specific to insert industry here.
  • In other words, some issues have a "validif" phrase. If you don't meet its requirements, you can't get it.
  • Brand new nations only receive the original 30 issues.
  • Since issues are assigned randomly, you will get repeats. The game engine doesn't check to see if you just got said issue, all it cares about is if you qualify for said issue.
  • Everyone who's been playing for awhile has a specific issue that they seem to get constantly. For me, it's Harry Potter Censorship Row.
  • Yes, new issues are being added. However, only a handful of the Game Mods are coding them, so it takes time.

Please feel free to read the Stickies in this forum, as they have pretty much everything else you could want to know about Issues, including a list of them, and how to submit them.
Last edited by The Most Glorious Hack on Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

FAQ -- Capital City, Religion & Leader

Postby Kryozerkia » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:23 am

There are a few queries each week regarding the capital city, leader and religion fields and typically over when they can unlock the fields and what "Awaiting Legislation" means for them.

There are three customizable fields in your Settings that are greyed out when you first create a nation. These settings may also be greyed out for nations that ceased to exist before the fields were introduced.

The population requisite is straightforward. You need x-number of citizens to qualify for the issue. That will change when your population is high enough to "Unlockable: Awaiting Legislation".

EDIT: As per this post nations now receive the relevant "unlockable" issue as soon as they qualify for it, instead of having to wait for it to be randomly selected. Receiving the issue does not automatically unlock those fields. You need to vote on the issue. If you dismiss it or pick an option that is against any of these elements, the field will remained grey out. As issues do repeat and you either picked an option to not have religion, a leader or city, or simply decided to dismiss it but now want to fill in those fields, you just have to wait for the issue to reappear.

If you wish to view the issues before you get them, or ask questions, you can click any of the links below, which will take you to the NationStates Issues **SPOILER ALERT** thread.

Capital City: Unlockable with 250 million citizens.
#241: A Capital City For @@NAME@@?

Leader: Unlockable with 750 million citizens.
#242: Follow The Leader

National Religion: Unlockable with 1 billion citizen
#243: A Question Of Faith
Last edited by Sedgistan on Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Return to Got Issues?