NATION

PASSWORD

Natural Born Citizen

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:27 pm

Ailiailia wrote:If the intention is to prevent anyone with loyalties to a foreign country becoming president, the implementation is lacking.

The US allows dual citizenship. Providing they were natural-born citizens of the US, an American could openly swear loyalty to a foreign country (by becoming a citizen of that country) and this clause of the Constitution wouldn't disqualify them from later becoming President.

Actually, no it doesn't. Technically US law is silent on dual citizenship, it doesn't forbid it, but it doesn't allow it either.

Ailiailia wrote:
Page wrote:
Therefore I think anyone born to an American citizen mother, regardless of where, even if they were born on foreign soil that's not a military base or an embassy, qualifies to be President of the USA.

Do you agree with this interpretation?

Nope. Being born overseas to a US citizen mother does not make a person automatically a citizen at birth.

Er, yes it does. Assuming the parent lived in the US for the required amount of time beforehand, having a single American parent makes the child automatically a US citizen at birth.

It's why both of my children are Americans, even though they were born in Japan and their mother is Japanese.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:28 pm

On topic, it's never been actually tested. Last time this came up it was pointed out that it's never been before the courts and given the lack of standing by anyone but their opponent, it's unlikely to ever do so.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:30 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Page wrote:
Therefore I think anyone born to an American citizen mother, regardless of where, even if they were born on foreign soil that's not a military base or an embassy, qualifies to be President of the USA.

Nope. Being born overseas to a US citizen mother does not make a person automatically a citizen at birth.

If you mean "should it?" I would say no. BOTH parents perhaps, but having it only the mother is arbitrarily sexist. That would have made sense in previous times when 'who the mother was' could be far more easily proven than 'who the father was'. It's unneccessary now with DNA paternity and maternity tests, and going only by whether the woman giving birth is the mother is less reliable now with surrogacy. It would have been a rationally sexist criterion then, it's not now.

U Sure?
Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is an alien and as long as the other parent is a citizen of the U.S. who lived in the U.S. for at least five years (with military and diplomatic service included in this time)
TET's resident state assessment exam
My sworn enemy is the Toyota 4Runner
I scream a lot.
Also, I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend.
Nanatsu No Tsuki wrote:the fetus will never eat cake if you abort it

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

Gold Harbor
Envoy

Founded: Feb 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gold Harbor » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:33 pm

Just because you were born someplace doesn't make you a committed defender of liberty. Citizenship should also have to be earned even if you were born here.

Middle Pacific
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Middle Pacific » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:35 pm

Gold Harbor wrote:Just because you were born someplace doesn't make you a committed defender of liberty. Citizenship should also have to be earned even if you were born here.

Exactly. When you think about it, individuals who are immigrants have to go through a citizenship test and take a lawfully mandated oath of allegiance to the United States. Individuals who were born US citizens don't have to do either.
#LoveWins: Beautiful progression video of the March of Marriage Equality, Chorus singing after SCOTUS decision
Proud American living in the great state of Hawaii.
Asian/Native Hawaiian. Buddhist. Progressive-liberal. Resident of Honolulu, Oahu Island.

Barack Obama / Joe Biden for America 2012 David Ige / Shan Tsutsui for Hawaii 2014/2018
Hillary Clinton / TBD for America 2016 Mazie Hirono & Brian Schatz for US Senate 2012/2014
Tulsi Gabbard & Mark Takai for US House of Representatives 2014/2016
Policy positions: Increased funding for NASA / 7th Mission to the Moon and Mission to Mars by 2030, renewable energy at 50% by 2035, strengthen naval presence in Asia-Pacific and military presence in NATO states in Eastern Europe.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:08 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:If the intention is to prevent anyone with loyalties to a foreign country becoming president, the implementation is lacking.

The US allows dual citizenship. Providing they were natural-born citizens of the US, an American could openly swear loyalty to a foreign country (by becoming a citizen of that country) and this clause of the Constitution wouldn't disqualify them from later becoming President.

Actually, no it doesn't. Technically US law is silent on dual citizenship, it doesn't forbid it, but it doesn't allow it either.

If law is silent on something, it allows it.

If you're saying that a dual citizen (whose US citizenship is by-birth) is not eligible to be President then quote the law or constitutional provision that forbids it.

Ailiailia wrote:

Er, yes it does. Assuming the parent lived in the US for the required amount of time beforehand, having a single American parent makes the child automatically a US citizen at birth.

It's why both of my children are Americans, even though they were born in Japan and their mother is Japanese.

Ailiailia wrote:
Page wrote:

I said "automatically". And your reply includes "assuming that...". If a period of residency is required, it's not automatic.

It's good to hear that citizenship can follow from either parent, and isn't sexist (as suggested by the OP). On the personal note, are your children also Japanese citizens?
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Liberty and Linguistics
Senator

Founded: Jan 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Linguistics » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:10 pm

I don't see the issue with foreign born citizens being President of the United States. Many Prime Ministers in the Anglosphere were not born in the countries that they govern. And, those countries haven't descended into anarchy.
I am: Cynic, Depressive, Junior in HS, Arizonan, Sarcastic, Wannabe Psychologist, Lover of Cinema and Rum.

Ziggy played guitar....
For ISIS | On Israel and its settlements | Flat Taxes are beneficial for all | OOC, Baby | Probably Accurate.

Middle Pacific
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Middle Pacific » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:12 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
NERVUN wrote:Actually, no it doesn't. Technically US law is silent on dual citizenship, it doesn't forbid it, but it doesn't allow it either.

If you're saying that a dual citizen (whose US citizenship is by-birth) is not eligible to be President then quote the law or constitutional provision that forbids it.

Indeed. It's a constitutional loophole to be addressed alongside allowing US citizens who earned their citizenship to run for the Presidency and Vice Presidency.
#LoveWins: Beautiful progression video of the March of Marriage Equality, Chorus singing after SCOTUS decision
Asian/Native Hawaiian. Buddhist. Progressive-liberal. Resident of Honolulu, Oahu Island.

Barack Obama / Joe Biden for America 2012 David Ige / Shan Tsutsui for Hawaii 2014/2018
Hillary Clinton / TBD for America 2016 Mazie Hirono & Brian Schatz for US Senate 2012/2014
Policy positions: Increased funding for NASA / 7th Mission to the Moon and Mission to Mars by 2030, renewable energy at 50% by 2035, strengthen naval presence in Asia-Pacific and military presence in NATO states in Eastern Europe.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:44 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
NERVUN wrote:Actually, no it doesn't. Technically US law is silent on dual citizenship, it doesn't forbid it, but it doesn't allow it either.

Ah, no. That's not how that works. If you look at the US State Department's website, it spells it out. The US simply does not forbid dual citizenship, it also doesn't recognize it (Unlike say, the UK). The State Department doesn't recommend it either. It would be more correct to say that the US simply doesn't care at this point in time.

I didn't say that, I simply said that the US doesn't allow dual citizenship.

Ailiailia wrote:

Ailiailia wrote:
Page wrote:

I said "automatically". And your reply includes "assuming that...". If a period of residency is required, it's not automatic.[/QUOTE]
No... no. Again you are mistaken. You have to fit the requirements, just as every OTHER American child (i.e. born within the boundaries of the US) otherwise, yes, citizenship is automatically given at birth. Or to put it another way, I had to provide documentation to the US Embassy in Tokyo for both of my children, but the Consular Report for Birth Abroad of an American Citizen (Their version of a US birth certificate) simply states that the child in question was an American citizen since birth. It's automatically awarded, but I do have a bit higher of a bar to prove it.

It's good to hear that citizenship can follow from either parent, and isn't sexist (as suggested by the OP). On the personal note, are your children also Japanese citizens?

Until age 22, yes. Japan awards citizenship by right of blood and does not allow dual citizenship once past age 22. At that age, a person must declare for one and renounce the other, though I am told that since no one bothers to check Japanese citizens who were born Japanese, many dual citizens just quietly put their other passport in a drawer and don't bother the Justice Ministry with it.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:44 pm

Middle Pacific wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:

Indeed. It's a constitutional loophole to be addressed alongside allowing US citizens who earned their citizenship to run for the Presidency and Vice Presidency.

If you mean addressed with a constitutional amendment, I must politely disagree.

And amendment which struck two words from article II section 1 ("natural born") might actually be ratified.
An amendment which did that and ALSO tried to set rules for dual/multiple citizenship would fail.
Just a question of practicality.

And by the way, I see no reason why dual nationals should be prohibited from running. Even if (in the spirit of the existing limitation) that casts doubt on their loyalty to the US, that's for the voters to decide.

I also object to the age requirement, but again, practicality. Trying to amend that and the natural-born requirement at the same time is much less likely to succeed, so pick the one which matters more which imo is the natural-born requirement.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:52 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:

Ah, no. That's not how that works. If you look at the US State Department's website, it spells it out. The US simply does not forbid dual citizenship, it also doesn't recognize it (Unlike say, the UK). The State Department doesn't recommend it either. It would be more correct to say that the US simply doesn't care at this point in time.

That's the thread subject! You pretty much admit that you're quibbling on a point of fact irrelevant to the thread subject.

So at this point I'll just concede both points. It clearly matters more to you than it does to me ...

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:58 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
NERVUN wrote:Ah, no. That's not how that works. If you look at the US State Department's website, it spells it out. The US simply does not forbid dual citizenship, it also doesn't recognize it (Unlike say, the UK). The State Department doesn't recommend it either. It would be more correct to say that the US simply doesn't care at this point in time.

That's the thread subject! You pretty much admit that you're quibbling on a point of fact irrelevant to the thread subject.

So at this point I'll just concede both points. It clearly matters more to you than it does to me ...

If you're making factually incorrect statements...

In any case, I've already noted that the law is silent on the issue of children born to US citizen(s) outside of the boundaries of the US and given the standing issue, it's unlikely to be resolved.

Lydenburg
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:01 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:

If that's the case, why even bother approving requests for dual citizenship?

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

United Russian Soviet States
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian Soviet States » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:03 pm

A natural born citizen is someone who was an American citizen at birth.
This nation does not represent my views.
I stand with Rand.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Sig.
:Member of the United National Group:

Romalae
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:07 pm

United Russian Soviet States wrote:A natural born citizen is someone who was an American citizen at birth.

Thank you, Noah Webster.
Economic Left/Right: -3.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79

Ideology: somewhere between left-leaning centrism and social democracy
Other: irreligious, white, male

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:37 pm

Lydenburg wrote:
NERVUN wrote:Ah, no. That's not how that works. If you look at the US State Department's website, it spells it out. The US simply does not forbid dual citizenship, it also doesn't recognize it (Unlike say, the UK). The State Department doesn't recommend it either. It would be more correct to say that the US simply doesn't care at this point in time.

If that's the case, why even bother approving requests for dual citizenship?

Well they're not. They simply approve (some) requests for US citizenship and don't require the applicant to renounce a foreign citizenship as a condition. As far as they're concerned it isn't "dual citizenship" just US citizenship ... or not.

Countries which ban dual citizenship wouldn't do that. Renouncing foreign citizenship is a condition of becoming a citizen of that country.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Middle Pacific
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Middle Pacific » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:19 am

Ailiailia wrote:
Middle Pacific wrote:

If you mean addressed with a constitutional amendment, I must politely disagree.

And amendment which struck two words from article II section 1 ("natural born") might actually be ratified.
An amendment which did that and ALSO tried to set rules for dual/multiple citizenship would fail.
Just a question of practicality.

And by the way, I see no reason why dual nationals should be prohibited from running. Even if (in the spirit of the existing limitation) that casts doubt on their loyalty to the US, that's for the voters to decide.

I also object to the age requirement, but again, practicality. Trying to amend that and the natural-born requirement at the same time is much less likely to succeed, so pick the one which matters more which imo is the natural-born requirement.

It would in fact be much more politically viable to replace the natural born clause with an exclusive US citizenship requirement. A simple repeal might draw more opposition than a proposed replacement to quell worries about loyalty (which such a proposed replacement would do so entirely, at least from a legal viewpoint).

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:12 pm

The whole requirement should be removed. As long as you are a legal citizen and have lived here for the past several years, you should be able to run for president.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:25 pm

Page wrote:Obama was born in Hawaii. No one who vaccinates their children and doesn't think Sandy Hook was staged disputes that. But I am interested in the interpretation of who is qualified to be the President of the United States as per the current constitutional requirement.

It's been established that a person born on an American military base on foreign soil can be President, as McCain was. As far as I can tell, the easiest and most straightforward definition of a natural born citizen is "naturalized at the moment of birth." As in, anyone who is granted American citizenship solely because they were born is a natural born American citizen.

EDIT: In support of my argument, military bases are not US soil. Therefore this interpretation already has precedent: http://military.findlaw.com/family-empl ... broad.html

It doesn't matter.

If the US were a real democracy, then anyone should be eligible to run... even a Canadian with no US passport.

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Insaeldor » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:25 pm

I've always felt that as long as you've earned your citizenship you've earned the right to become president. Although I'm pretty partial to the idea that everyone should earn their citizenship in some way to me, like taking a citizenship test your 12th grade year or something.
Time is a prismatic uniform polyhedron

Hladgos
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hladgos » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:29 pm

I'm still sad Arnold couldn't run for prez. I would've loved to put that sticker on my bumper. Schwarzenegger/Colbert 2016
Divair wrote:Hladcore.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're a nut. I like that.
Pro: being outside, conserving our Earth, the pursuit of happiness, universal acceptance
Anti: ignorance and intolerance
Life is suffering. Suffering is caused by craving and aversion. Suffering can be overcome and happiness can be attained. Live a moral life.

"Life would be tragic if it weren't funny." -Stephen Hawking

"The purpose of our life is to be happy." -Dali Lama

"If I had no sense of humor, I would have long ago committed suicide." -Gandhi

"Don't worry, be happy!" -Bobby McFerrin

Silly Pride

"No." -Dya

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General