NATION

PASSWORD

Net neutrality "wins"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hanchu
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanchu » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:50 pm

The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:
Hanchu wrote:Monopolies end all competition

Yes, exactly. Monopolies will always be the result of a free market, once the best company emerges and beats out all its competitors. There simply cannot be competition to the best company.

And then they kill off any competition , so even if they produce bad products people are still forced to buy them

The Confederacy of Nationalism
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:51 pm

Jute wrote:
The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:Why should there be competition if there's already a best company? A monopoly has already beaten out its competition, there's no reason to punish it for being the best.

Because there's always the possibility to improve things and no company can stay best all the time? Competition offers an incentive to make better goods and invest in new technology.

Well, shit, if the best company falls behind a bit, competition will arise. But the monopoly is the goal to strive for.
Keep right -->
Don't give in to degeneracy,

My honor, my dignity, my pride above my life. No regrets.
American Ultranationalist
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire / "If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it!" - Adolf Hitler
Resident Social Darwinist

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:51 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:OP, do you really know what net neutrality is? I have my doubts you do.

It's where the net is neutral *nods*

To be simply put. But to elaborate:
Net neutrality (also network neutrality, Internet neutrality or net equality) is the principle that Internet service providers and governments should treat all data on the Internet equally, not discriminating or charging differentially by user, content, site, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or mode of communication. (1)

I think that's amazing and, how can someone not be glad that was maintained?
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:51 pm

Hanchu wrote:
The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:Yes, exactly. Monopolies will always be the result of a free market, once the best company emerges and beats out all its competitors. There simply cannot be competition to the best company.

And then they kill off any competition , so even if they produce bad products people are still forced to buy them

No, people are not forced to buy anything.
Keep right -->

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire / "If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it!" - Adolf Hitler

Hanchu
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanchu » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:52 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Net neutrality (also network neutrality, Internet neutrality or net equality) is the principle that Internet service providers and governments should treat all data on the Internet equally, not discriminating or charging differentially by user, content, site, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or mode of communication. (1)

Propaganda

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:52 pm

Jute wrote:Because there's always the possibility to improve things and no company can stay best all the time? Competition offers an incentive to make better goods and invest in new technology.

Well, shit, if the best company falls behind a bit, competition will arise. But the monopoly is the goal to strive for.

No, it won't, because once a company is large enough that it is the sole operator in an economic sector then it has the position and capital to prevent anyone else from entering said sector.
Last edited by Camicon on Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:52 pm

Camicon wrote:
The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:Because the best has already emerged through the process of free market. Again, why should there be competition to the best company, that's pointless and futile.

Because without competition, the remaining company has no incentive to do anything over than provide the cheapest (shittiest) service possible, while charging the absolute most from their customers for said service. In an economy where the dominant belief is that companies exist only to generate profit for the shareholders, a monopoly will result in the worst possible service at the most expensive price.

Quite the contrary, because if they offered shitty service, they'd never have made it to the top in the first place.
Keep right -->

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:52 pm

The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:No. We do not need regulation to get infrastructure upgrades, we need another Eisenhower.

A simple regulation that seems to work in European countries is requiring companies that own the pipes carrying broadband to people’s homes lease space in their pipes to rival companies. This seems to have prevented any monopolies or duopolies from forming which isn't uncommon in the US. The average market there has only one or two serious internet providers.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:52 pm

Arkolon wrote:Postal services even 150 years ago could have had the same things said about them. Without them, no communication would have passed anywhere, which is mostly why a lot of them were nationalised and put under direct control of the head of state (in France at least). They still had 'premium services', though, and this wasn't a problem.

You want to send a letter to DC? Cool, ten cents.

You want to send a love letter to DC? Twenty.

What's that? You want to send the letter to a business office in DC? Forty cents.

This is not about 10 kbs v. 100, this is about discriminating between different types and origins of data or not.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

New Genoa
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Genoa » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:53 pm

Jute wrote:Because there's always the possibility to improve things and no company can stay best all the time? Competition offers an incentive to make better goods and invest in new technology.

Nope.
Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

For death and glory? For Rohan.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:53 pm

Jute wrote:How so? The free market requires competition in order to be a free market. With no competitors, quality of goods stagnate or even regress. That's the basic tenet of free market theory.

there cannot be competition to the best
the monopoly will ALWAYS arise from the free market, because the people will only use the best services offered. Once that "best" has been selected by the free markets, you've reached the pinnacle of the free market, you cannot get a more advanced system.

Not always. It's also based on the assumption that the best will stay best.

But again, Smith, Friedman all argue government intervention is justified in such extraordinary circumstances.

Planita
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Planita » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:53 pm

Hanchu wrote:And then they kill off any competition , so even if they produce bad products people are still forced to buy them

yes they are because in a monopoly their is only one producer to choose from. Its a take it or leave it

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:53 pm

Camicon wrote:
The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:Well, shit, if the best company falls behind a bit, competition will arise. But the monopoly is the goal to strive for.

No, it won't, because once a company is large enough that it is the sole operator in an economic sector then it has the position and capital to prevent anyone else from entering said sector.

Good, they can maintain that as long as people keep buying, and people will keep buying as long as the service is good.
Keep right -->

Hanchu
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanchu » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:53 pm

Hanchu wrote:And then they kill off any competition , so even if they produce bad products people are still forced to buy them

Unless you want a product that they control the market of

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:54 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

When you're fanatically dedicated to a principle or principles.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:54 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

*shrug* Every other communication service provider has 'premium' services for quicker delivery. Net neutrality just makes it illegal for ISPs to perform such a service.
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:54 pm

Camicon wrote:Because without competition, the remaining company has no incentive to do anything over than provide the cheapest (shittiest) service possible, while charging the absolute most from their customers for said service. In an economy where the dominant belief is that companies exist only to generate profit for the shareholders, a monopoly will result in the worst possible service at the most expensive price.

Quite the contrary, because if they offered shitty service, they'd never have made it to the top in the first place.

You seem to be missing the point: they provide shitty service after the incentive to provide quality service (competition) disappears. Because the only goal is to give money to the shareholders, they don't need give a shit about the customers when there is nowhere for them to go.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:54 pm

Planita wrote:
The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:No, people are not forced to buy anything.

yes they are because in a monopoly their is only one producer to choose from. Its a take it or leave it

People will then just choose to leave it, and the monopoly will go bankrupt unless it overhauls its service.
Keep right -->

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:54 pm

Jute wrote:How so? The free market requires competition in order to be a free market. With no competitors, quality of goods stagnate or even regress. That's the basic tenet of free market theory.

there cannot be competition to the best
the monopoly will ALWAYS arise from the free market, because the people will only use the best services offered. Once that "best" has been selected by the free markets, you've reached the pinnacle of the free market, you cannot get a more advanced system.

No, people will not always use "the best service", for different reasons, and it's not like opinions wouldn't be divided about what service would be the best anyway.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:54 pm

Camicon wrote:
The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:Quite the contrary, because if they offered shitty service, they'd never have made it to the top in the first place.

You seem to be missing the point: they provide shitty service after the incentive to provide quality service (competition) disappears. Because the only goal is to give money to the shareholders, they don't need give a shit about the customers when there is nowhere for them to go.

It's hard to give a profit to shareholders if nobody's investing.
Keep right -->

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:55 pm

Planita wrote:yes they are because in a monopoly their is only one producer to choose from. Its a take it or leave it

People will then just choose to leave it, and the monopoly will go bankrupt unless it overhauls its service.

Except if people depend on it, like an ISP.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:55 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Arkolon wrote:Postal services even 150 years ago could have had the same things said about them. Without them, no communication would have passed anywhere, which is mostly why a lot of them were nationalised and put under direct control of the head of state (in France at least). They still had 'premium services', though, and this wasn't a problem.

You want to send a letter to DC? Cool, ten cents.

You want to send a love letter to DC? Twenty.

What's that? You want to send the letter to a business office in DC? Forty cents.

This is not about 10 kbs v. 100, this is about discriminating between different types and origins of data or not.

Uhh, yeah?
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:55 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

When you're fanatically dedicated to a principle or principles.

Yeah, that is to put it simply. And it's true.

I mean, I was reading the arguments for it and I find them very convincing.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:55 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

*shrug* Every other communication service provider has 'premium' services for quicker delivery. Net neutrality just makes it illegal for ISPs to perform such a service.

Aye, and I think that the internet shouldn't get the special snowflake status, there's no reason why premiums shouldn't be charged on the internet too.
Keep right -->

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:56 pm

Planita wrote:yes they are because in a monopoly their is only one producer to choose from. Its a take it or leave it

You can't leave a service provider when said provider is the only one that can offer you vital things like clean water, or electronic communication.
Last edited by Camicon on Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General