NATION

PASSWORD

How to Build a Region

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
Naivetry
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

How to Build a Region

Postby Naivetry » Wed May 26, 2010 11:13 pm

I. Creating a new region
A. How do I create a new region? >>>
B. How do I put colors, links, etc. in my World Factbook Entry? >>>
C. What does "%NATION% has permanent access to Regional Control" mean? >>>
D. What does "The region's World Assembly Delegate can access Regional Control" mean?>>>
E. Should I have a password? >>>
F. How do I upload a regional flag? >>>
G. Help! My region disappeared! >>>

II. Growing your new region
A. How do I get people to join my region? >>>
B. Where can I post recruitment messages? >>>
C. Which nations should I recruit? >>>
D. How do I send recruitment telegrams (with that nifty button at the bottom)? >>>
E. How do I send recruitment telegrams manually?
>>>
1. How do I find new nations to send telegrams to? >>>
2. Can I send a telegram to multiple nations at once? >>>
3. What is a template and why should I use one? >>>
4. How do I send recruitment telegrams using a template? >>>
5. How do I send recruitment telegrams without a template? >>>
F. How do I send recruitment telegrams using telegram stamps? >>>
G. How do I send recruitment telegrams using the API? >>>
H. Okay, but how do I get people to want to join my region? >>>
I. Help! My region's nations are disappearing! >>>

III. Regional development
A. How do you get a World Assembly Delegate? >>>
B. How do I communicate with members of my new region? >>>
C. What are offsite forums? >>>
D. How do I keep my region safe?>>>

IV. Interregional politics SECTION UNDER CONSTRUCTION
A. How do regional governments work? >>>
B. Where can I go to meet people from other regions? >>>
C. How do in-game embassies work?>>>
D. How do diplomatic relationships work on forums? >>>
E. How can I earn other people's respect for my region? >>>

After reading through the material posted here, please feel free to use this thread for any additional questions you may have about building a region.
Last edited by Naivetry on Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Naivetry
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Wed May 26, 2010 11:18 pm

I. Creating a new region

A. How do I create a new region?

From your nation page, click on the name of your current region. On that page you will see a line that says: "Tired of life in %REGION%? Move to a new region!" When you click on that link, it will take you to a page that gives you the option of creating your own region.

Or you can simply follow this link: http://www.nationstates.net/page=create_region

Once you create your region, your nation will automatically move to the new region, and you will be listed as the regional Founder.

BEFORE CREATING A REGION: If you would like to ensure the safety of your region while maintaining sole control over your main nation, you may want to consider creating a new "puppet" nation to be the Founder of your new region. That way, you will be free to pass the Founder nation to another player should you need to be absent from the game for any length of time. For more information, please see section III.D. below.

B. How do I put colors, links, etc. in my World Factbook Entry?

The World Factbook Entry uses a limited number of formatting tags that you can use to decorate your World Factbook Entry. From the NationStates FAQ:

C. What does "%NATION% has permanent access to Regional Control" mean?

Regional Control, also known as "Administration", is a special page that you can have access to as a Founder. Regional Control allows you to change several settings in your region:

Appearance:
  • The World Factbook Entry (WFE)
  • Dispatches
  • The regional flag
  • Regional tags
Border Control:
  • Whether or not the World Assembly Delegate can access Regional Control
  • The regional password and its visibility
  • Ejections and bans
  • The ban list
Embassies:
  • Proposing, accepting, rejecting, or closing in-game embassies with other regions
  • Regional Message Board (RMB) posting permissions
Communications:
  • Region-wide telegrams
  • Automated welcome telegrams
  • Polls

Access to Regional Control also allows you to suppress (hide) unwanted posts on your RMB.

If you select the box that says "%NATION% has permanent access to Regional Control", the Founder nation of your region will always be able to use these controls. (This is the default setting.) If you deselect this box, the only way you will be able to use these controls for your region is if you become the World Assembly Delegate. (For what it takes to become the World Assembly Delegate, please see section III.A. below.)

IMPORTANT: You cannot change this setting later, so think through this decision carefully. For more information on the security issues at stake, please see section III.D. below.

D. What does "The region's World Assembly Delegate can access Regional Control" mean?

By default, the regional Founder can always access Regional Control. The Founder has the option of checking a box to allow the region's World Assembly Delegate to access Regional Control as well.

Because this option allows someone other than you to control the settings of your region, you should think carefully before allowing the World Assembly Delegate to access Regional Control. Even if you know and trust your World Assembly Delegate, there is always the possibility that a nation you do not know will be elected Delegate instead. If the WA Delegate is allowed to access Regional Control, they will also be able to suppress (hide) RMB posts by other nations in the region.

If the Founder nation leaves the region, the WA Delegate will immediately and automatically be able to access Regional Control for as long as the Founder nation remains outside of the region. If the Founder nation ceases to exist (is deleted for breaking the rules or for inactivity), the WA Delegate will likewise be able to access Regional Control. Finally, if the Founder chooses to give up permanent access to Regional Control when the region is created, the World Assembly Delegate will always have access to Regional Control.

E. Should I have a password?

Regional passwords in NationStates are useful for groups of players who know each other already, and who would like not to be disturbed by other nations.

Passwords are not useful if you plan to recruit many other nations to your region, because they impair growth without providing much protection.

F. How do I upload a regional flag?

You can upload an image from your computer to use as a regional flag after you have created your region. It is an option under Regional Control, so only a region's Founder or WA Delegate can upload or change the regional flag.

G. Help! My region disappeared!

Regions will cease to exist if no nations are present in them during one of the two daily game updates. If this happens to your region, you will need to create it again from scratch. None of the settings will be saved.

EDIT: Added in RMB post suppression!
EDIT2: Altered to add new Regional Control options, including Founder power opt-out.
EDIT3: Clarified that a Founder must be located in the region in order to keep the WAD from accessing Regional Control.
Last edited by Naivetry on Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:57 am, edited 11 times in total.

Naivetry
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Wed May 26, 2010 11:22 pm

II. Growing your new region

A. How do I get people to join my region?

You will need to recruit other nations to join your region if you want it to grow. Only very rarely will new nations stumble into your region on their own.

There are two basic recruiting methods. One is to post a general advertisement ("adspam") for your region in one of the places where regional advertisements are permitted (see below). This method is popular with newer regions because it requires little effort, but it is also extremely ineffective.

The second method is the one used by all major regions in NationStates. This is to send recruitment telegrams to individual nations. There are several different ways to send telegrams. For more information about each of them, see below.

B. Where can I post recruitment messages?

You may post a general recruitment messsage or advertisement ("adspam") for your region once every 24 hours in each of the following places:

1) In the Gameplay forum. All of your recruitment messages in the Gameplay forum must go in a single thread you have created for that purpose.
2) On the Regional Message Board (RMB) of any region with the "Recruiter Friendly" tag.
3) On the Regional Message Board (RMB) of any game-created region (feeders, sinkers, and warzones). The game-created regions are:

The Pacific
The North Pacific
The South Pacific
The East Pacific
The West Pacific
The Rejected Realms
Lazarus
Balder
Osiris
Warzone Africa
Warzone Airspace
Warzone Asia
Warzone Australia
Warzone Europe
Warzone Sandbox

Although you are allowed to post adspam in these regions, the delegates of these regions are also allowed to suppress your posts as they see fit. Adspam tends to upset the permanent residents of the game-created regions, because it makes it difficult for them to hold a conversation on their own Regional Message Board. You may want to avoid posting adspam, therefore, if you would like to form a friendly diplomatic relationship with a game-created region.

C. Which nations should I recruit?

You are allowed to send a recruitment telegram to any nation in the game. There are several things to keep in mind, however:

1) New nations are the ones most likely to join your region, since they have not yet chosen a regional home.
2) Refounded nations (nations which have ceased to exist due to inactivity and which are refounded in Lazarus, Balder, or Osiris when they become active again) are less likely to join your region than new nations, since refounded nations may still think of their previous region as home. Some refounded nations, however, are not very attached to their previous region and may be open to moving to yours.
3) Nations that are located in user-created regions are not very likely to join yours, since they have already made a choice to move to their current region. Keep in mind that although recruiting from user-created regions is legal, a number of regions disapprove of it and consider it to be "poaching." You may want to avoid recruiting nations from a user-created region, therefore, if you would like to form a friendly diplomatic relationship with that region.
4) Nations that have been located in any one region for a long period of time are not likely to join yours, since if they have not already moved after months of other recruitment telegrams, they have probably made a commitment to stay. This is especially true if the nation holds a prominent position in their region already (such as Founder, WA Delegate, or government officer).

Historical note: before the telegram system was redesigned in February 2013, you were only allowed to send recruitment telegrams to nations located in the game-created regions. In addition, you had to manually keep track of which nations you and your friends had telegrammed, so your region did not end up telegramming the same nation twice.

D. How do I send recruitment telegrams (with that nifty button at the bottom)?

Regional recruitment telegrams automatically come with a special "Move %NATION% to %REGION%" button at the bottom. There are three basic ways to create and send such recruitment telegrams:

1) Manually (with or without a template)
2) Using telegram stamps
3) Through the NationStates API (Application Programming Interface)

Each method has benefits and drawbacks. Briefly:

Manual recruitment:
+ Allows you to choose which nations to recruit on an individual basis
+ Allows you to send unique, personal telegrams
+ Telegrams are more likely to be received*
- Takes the most time and energy
Telegram stamps:
+ Contact many nations quickly and automatically
+ Low effort (no need to remain logged in)
- Limited customization of telegrams
- Small cost to purchase stamps
API:
+ Contact many nations automatically
+ May allow you to choose which nations to recruit based on a set of detailed criteria
- Telegrams sent at very slow rate (one every three minutes)
- Requires either programming skills or access to pre-existing script/application

* Manual telegrams are more likely to be received because of the way they are treated in the telegram delivery queue. This distinction is due to user feedback on how the new telegram system was affecting regional recruitment, which led the administrators to try to balance the way different kinds of recruitment telegrams were distributed to nations. This change was implemented on Feb 6, 2014.

E. How do I send recruitment telegrams manually?

In manual recruitment, you choose which nations you want to telegram on an individual basis. Manual recruitment takes time and effort, but can be one of the most effective ways to reach new nations.

1. How do I find new nations to send telegrams to?

You can see a list of nations as they are being founded or refounded here: http://www.nationstates.net/page=activi ... r=founding

You can also find newly created nations by checking the Regional Happenings in the feeders - the game-created regions in which new nations are "born". The list of all nations in each feeder can be sorted by length of residency (from longest to shortest), so that the nations which have just been created will appear at the end of the list. The feeders are:

The Pacific
The North Pacific
The South Pacific
The East Pacific
The West Pacific

To generate a similar list for any other region, click on the link on the region page which says "%REGION% contains (number of nations)....". From there, you will see an option to "Sort by." Click on "Length of Residency." The nations that have been in the region for the longest will be listed first. The nations which have just moved in, and which therefore may be easier to convince to move somewhere else, will be listed at the end. You can also copy and paste the following link into your web browser, inserting the region name where appropriate:

Code: Select all
http://www.nationstates.net/page=list_nations/region=REGION_NAME_HERE/sort=residency

2. Can I send a telegram to multiple nations at once?

Yes! Even without using telegram stamps (see below), you can send a mass telegram to as many as eight (8) nations at once. Simply enter the nation names in the "To:" box, separated from each other by commas.

3. What is a template and why should I use one?

A template is a way of storing the text of a recruitment message so that you can easily reuse it. Templates are the most convenient way to recruit manually. There are several advantages to using a template:

1) You can easily store the text of a recruitment telegram and reuse it over and over.
2) You don't have to remember to flag your telegram as a recruitment message every time.
3) You can move the nation you are recruiting with to another region, but continue recruiting for your first region.
4) Delivery Reports: You can see lists and statistics for which nations did not receive your message and why, which nations received your message, which nations read your message, and which nations moved to join your region as a result.

4. How do I send recruitment telegrams using a template?

First, you'll need to create a template to use, if you don't have one already.

1) Compose a new telegram. In the "To:" line, write tag: template.
2) Make sure the box next to "This is a [recruitment] telegram" is checked. If the checkbox is not showing on your page, open the Advanced Options by clicking on the "▼" next to the box that says "To:".
3) Write the message you want to send in the body of the telegram. Helpful hint: you can personalize your message by adding %Nation% wherever you want someone's nation name to appear. This will automatically fill in the name of the nation that receives the telegram.
4) Hit send. You will receive a message that says, "Your telegram template has been created!" and gives you a link to view the template. In addition, it will give you a code that looks like this:

%TEMPLATE-0000000%

Save this code where you can find it again. Whenever you want to view your template or its delivery report, you can find the template telegram in your sent items folder and click on it to find the link to its page. Alternatively, you can simply take that string of numbers (the TGID) from your template code and fill them in where the 0's are in this URL:

http://www.nationstates.net/page=tg/tgid=0000000

When you want to use your template, fill in the names of the nations you want to send your message to in the "To:" line. Then paste the %TEMPLATE-0000000% code into the body of your message and hit send. You're done!

Note: Even if you have your template's code, you will only be able to view or use your template when you are logged in to the nation that created it.

5. How do I send recruitment telegrams without a template?

The main reason not to use a template is if you want to write a very different (e.g., highly personalized) message to each nation you recruit. If you are going to recruit manually without using a template, there are two things to keep in mind:

1) Every recruitment telegram you send must be tagged as a recruitment telegram. This means you must make sure the box next to "This is a [recruitment] telegram" is checked and your region name is selected every time before you hit send. Your nation may be warned or deleted if you break this rule.

If the checkbox is not showing on your compose telegram page, click on the "▼" next to the box that says "To:".

2) If you are not using a template, your nation must be located within a given region in order to send recruitment telegrams for that region. Every new recruitment telegram generates a button at the bottom that says, "Move %NATION% to %REGION%". The region named in the button will be the region where your nation is located when you successfully press Send. (If you change regions while composing a recruitment telegram and press Send, you will get a warning message before you can press Send again.)

F. How do I send recruitment telegrams using telegram stamps?

Telegram stamps are used to send telegrams to more than 8 people at a time. They can be purchased in the NationStates Store. You can either write a new telegram or use a template, as described above (section II.E.4). You will have access to a Delivery Report for your telegram either way.

There are two ways to use telegram stamps:

1) You can put a long list of nation names into the "To:" box, separated by commas. This allows you to select individual nations based on whatever criteria you would like, and send the same telegram to them all immediately, at a cost of one stamp per nation after the first eight nations in the list.

2) You can select groups of nations to send your telegram to. This costs one stamp per nation in the group. The most useful options for recruiters are the New (number) category and the Refounded (number) category. These put your telegram into a queue to be sent to the next (number) of nations either created or refounded. You then do not need to be stay logged in or online in order for your telegrams to be sent. NationStates controls the rate at which new nations receive telegrams through this method, so that new nations do not receive a flood of recruitment telegrams all at once. Because many regions recruit this way, however, your telegram may or may not end up being read. This will still use up one of your stamps, regardless.

For more information on how recruiting with telegram stamps works, see the FAQ.

G. How do I send recruitment telegrams using the API?

If you know how to write code, you can look at the full documentation on the NationStates API for sending telegrams. General discussion of the API, bug reporting, and feature requests take place in the API thread in the Technical forum.

If you do not know how to write code but are willing to deal with some technical information in order to make use of other people's programs, there are a few recruitment tools that have been posted publicly:

These tools have been independently developed by players. NationStates administrators do not offer support or help for users trying to work with them. If you are having trouble making use of the API or tools built on it, you can try asking for help in the Technical forum.

H. Okay, but how do I get people to want to join my region?

TO BE ADDED. :) Some helpful hints can be found in this post by Animal House Recruiter.

I. Help! My region's nations are disappearing!

Nations usually disappear from your region for one of two reasons:

1) They have moved to another region.
2) They have been deleted for 28 days or more of inactivity.

Both of these processes are natural events in the life-cycle of any region. There is no way to prevent your regional population from dwindling except by recruiting more nations to make up for those which move or cease to exist.

EDIT: Massive rewrite to account for telegram system overhaul.
Last edited by Naivetry on Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 28 times in total.

Naivetry
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Wed May 26, 2010 11:25 pm

III. Regional development

A. How do you get a World Assembly Delegate?

In order to have a World Assembly (WA) Delegate, you must have at least two WA member nations in your region, one of whom is endorsing the other. The nation with the most endorsements will become the WA Delegate within 12 hours.

In order to endorse a WA nation, your nation must be a member of the WA as well, and must be located in the same region. You can then endorse the other nation by clicking on the "Endorse @@NATION@@" button that appears on their nation page above the telegram box.

IMPORTANT: Each player may have only one nation in the World Assembly at a time. (You may have as many non-WA member nations as you like.)

For more information on electing a WA Delegate, see Military Gameplay: Election.

B. How do I communicate with members of my new region?

There are three in-game methods of communicating with the nations of your region: telegrams, the Regional Message Board (RMB), and polls.

Many regions set up an automatic welcome telegram for all nations entering the region. This can be done from the Regional Control page, and does not cost telegram stamps to use. In addition, Founders and WA Delegates may send a telegram to every nation in their region at once from the Regional Control page. This does not cost telegram stamps to use, either. Finally, many nations enjoy having one-on-one conversations via telegram, as well; this is a good way to get to know your regionmates!

The Regional Message Board is a great place to welcome newcomers to the region, ask questions, make announcements, and chat with your fellow nations. It is a good idea to maintain an active RMB generally, for the entertainment and edification of your region's members as well as any new nations who are considering whether or not to join.

If you have access to Regional Control, you can also set up regional polls for entertainment, as conversation starters, to gauge interest in a new project, or even as a way of making group decisions.

C. What are offsite forums?

The RMB is limited to 10 posts at a time, which can make it hard to develop a sense of community, history, or group integrity. For this reason, many regions have offsite forums through third party sites such as Invisionfree, Zetaboards, or blogs (e.g. WordPress).

An offsite regional forum serves as a place for planning and executing regional activities. Typical NationStates forums include an area for spam games (the forum equivalent of ice-breakers for new nations), a general discussion area, a section dealing with NationStates itself (especially the World Assembly), some form of roleplaying, and often a regional government. As the regional community grows and develops, the offsite forums may accumulate new sections and emphases depending on member interest.

D. How do I keep my region safe?

The Founder nation must be kept alive and in the region to ensure that your region is protected. If the Founder nation ceases to exist, or is ever located outside of the region for whatever reason, access to Regional Control will automatically revert to the WA Delegate. This leaves your region open to invasion by outside forces who can seize the Delegacy, change the World Factbook Entry, regional flag, embassies, polls, and password settings, suppress posts on your Regional Message Board, and eject your region's residents.

Because the Founder is so essential to a region's safety, some regions will share or transfer the ownership of the Founder nation from one player to another to ensure that an active player is always available to protect the region. If you choose to do so, be sure that the Founder nation is not a WA member. You should also refrain from using the Founder nation for activities besides regional administration, so that the risk of the Founder nation being warned or deleted is minimized.

If the Founder of your region has already ceased to exist, you have several options. One is to attempt to refound your region with another nation. In order to do this, the region must contain no nations during one of the two daily game updates. At that point, the region will cease to exist with all of its information, and you will be able to refound it by following the process for creating a brand new region. Be aware that other nations, including raiders, may attempt to refound the region before you in a process known as "region hawking". There is no way to prevent region hawking except to refound first, so you may wish to seek assistance from experienced players before pursuing this option.

Your second option is to remain as a Founderless region, but to form diplomatic and military ties with other regions who can help you in case of invasion. Usually, many regions and interregional organizations will be willing to discuss mutual defense agreements and similar arrangements to help keep your region safe.
Last edited by Naivetry on Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:02 am, edited 12 times in total.

Naivetry
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Wed May 26, 2010 11:25 pm

IV. Interregional Politics

A. How do regional governments work?

Regional governments in NationStates are social contracts developed by the players of the region - that is, an agreement of rights and responsibilities by which each member chooses to be bound. Typically, regional governments will include a constitution to define citizenship, outline government offices or positions, and establish procedures for administering and maintaining the region.

There are as many ways of organizing a government as there are NationStates regions. A great part of the fun for many players comes from the challenge of creating a solution that works for their regional community.

In the broader NS world, many regions exchange embassies or form alliances through Foreign Affairs offices, host regional or interregional events for their citizens and visitors, publish regional newspapers, form military organizations to raid or defend other regions, vote on WA resolutions, and much, much more. The possibilities are limited only by your imagination and your willingness to invest time and effort into a project your community cares about.

B. Where can I go to meet people from other regions?

TO BE ADDED.

C. How do in-game embassies work?

TO BE ADDED.

D. How do diplomatic relationships work on forums?

TO BE ADDED.

E. How can I earn other people's respect for my region?

TO BE ADDED.
Last edited by Naivetry on Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Astralsideria
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Astralsideria » Wed May 26, 2010 11:31 pm

Sorry to interrupt, but is there some way of sticky'ing this?
Vive la Sidéraure • Long live Astralsideria
AMOM's view: http://209.85.48.11/14831/181/emo/terrrrrrrrrize.png
Nobody does it better than Unicef: http://www.unicef.org/
« Quand on me dit, le capitalisme n'aime pas les pauvres, je réponds, c'est vrai, nous voulons en faire des riches. »

Weylara
Ambassador

Founded: May 09, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Weylara » Wed May 26, 2010 11:34 pm

Astralsideria wrote:Sorry to interrupt, but is there some way of sticky'ing this?

Doubtless, it just needs to be given modly approval.

Nice job, and I like how you mentioned how to help a region grow. For example, my region was brought together by a simple RP, while others just died because there was no central motivation, nothing that distinguished them from other regions. Recruiting just doesn't do it sometimes.
Last edited by Weylara on Wed May 26, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Naivetry
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Thu May 27, 2010 6:25 am

Sticky requested. Thanks for the comments. :)

Anime Daisuki
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Anime Daisuki » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:19 pm

I know a lot of us older nations like to use the acronym 'RMB'. ;) But someone in 10KI pointed this to me a few weeks ago, that there hasn't been a 'Regional Message Board' for years. Since a couple of versions back, the space where you type regional messages has been changed to 'Civil Headquarters'. You might want to consider updating the terminology.

Because the Founder is so essential to a region's safety, some regions will share or transfer the ownership of the Founder nation from one player to another to ensure that an active player is always available to protect the region. If you choose to do so, be sure that the Founder nation is not a WA member. You should also refrain from using the Founder nation for activities besides regional administration, so that the risk of the Founder nation being warned or deleted is minimized.

This is by no means a popular option. And it is one that comes with risk. I'll suggest either removing the suggestion in its entirety; or move the paragraph below the first two (after 'staying as founderless' (most popular), and 'attempting refound' (next popular)); or have the last sentence "the risk of the Founder nation being warned or deleted..." displayed much earlier in the paragraph. Keep in mind newbies are reading this... so we want to make sure they know the risks involved first and foremost.

If the Founder of your region has already ceased to exist, you have several options. One is to attempt to refound your region with another nation. In order to do this, the region must contain no nations during one of the two daily game updates. At that point, the region will cease to exist with all of its information, and you will be able to refound it by following the process for creating a brand new region.

Same thing. I think the responsible thing to do is to give a fair bit of warning when we talk about refounding: Something like "Refounding can be hijacked by invaders. Attempt at your own risk." This disclosure/warning is necessary. I have seen too many refoundings gone bad.

-AD
Last edited by Anime Daisuki on Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Southern Bellz
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 04, 2008
Democratic Socialists

Postby Southern Bellz » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:02 pm

How to really build a region:

Suck up to someone with a recruitment script:

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:00 am

Maybe you should edit the part saying you could recruit in the Pacific to say you will be automatically banned.
I am not at all interested in immortality, only in the taste of tea.

Naivetry
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:59 am

North Wiedna wrote:Maybe you should edit the part saying you could recruit in the Pacific to say you will be automatically banned.

Nonsense. You can still recruit in The Pacific, as you can in the rest of the feeders, by sending recruitment telegrams - as the vast majority of successful regions always have done.

AD - thanks for the suggestions. The "Regional Message Board" not actually existing always catches me by surprise. :P

I put the Founder option first because I consider it the least risky of all the available options. It certainly isn't the most popular, but I think that's because people tend to be attached to their nations. If you have a good community in place and know you can trust your fellow regionmates, passing on the Founder nation to one of them does secure the region with absolutely no risk of hijacking by raiders. And after all, it's not *more* risky than the alternatives. If the Founder does get deleted, then you're back in the position of making a choice between remaining Founderless and refounding.

Romanar
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 15, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Romanar » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:07 pm

Naivetry wrote:I put the Founder option first because I consider it the least risky of all the available options. It certainly isn't the most popular, but I think that's because people tend to be attached to their nations. If you have a good community in place and know you can trust your fellow regionmates, passing on the Founder nation to one of them does secure the region with absolutely no risk of hijacking by raiders. And after all, it's not *more* risky than the alternatives. If the Founder does get deleted, then you're back in the position of making a choice between remaining Founderless and refounding.

Passing on the Founder nation is the safest against outside attackers, but risky if the person you trusted with it isn't so trustworthy.

That said, if you DO decide to pass the Founder to a successor, it might be better to set that up from the beginning. It's probably easier to part with "MyRegionFounder" than "MyFavoriteNation".

Naivetry
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:11 pm

Romanar wrote:Passing on the Founder nation is the safest against outside attackers, but risky if the person you trusted with it isn't so trustworthy.

Yep. But there isn't much of a way to safeguard against betrayal, unfortunately.

That said, if you DO decide to pass the Founder to a successor, it might be better to set that up from the beginning. It's probably easier to part with "MyRegionFounder" than "MyFavoriteNation".

....Good point, that's something I may try to work in.

Rolamec
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:39 pm

No, we must not educate the peasants!
Rolamec of New Earth
A Proud and Progressive Republican.
"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Economic Left/Right: 4.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.05

Naivetry
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:45 am

But if we don't, where will the next generation of aristocrats come from? ;)

Skeleos
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Skeleos » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:21 pm

In my tiny region, the most important states and the founder nation are also the biggest and strongest. That helps a lot, especially since our Minister of Defence has the largest army.

Naivetry
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:38 pm

Skeleos, population size and the size of a nation's RP army or Defense budget do not contribute in any way to the safety of your NS region in-game. "Influence" does contribute somewhat, but Influence is not tied directly to population - just to endorsements and the time a nation has spent in a region.

New Danzbach
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New Danzbach » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:52 am

Tag.
Name of Nation: New Danzbach
Population: 92,225,857
Capital City: Danzig
Tech Level: MT/PMT
Leader: Chancellor Christian Lundgren (EARPIECE Party)
National Anthem: "Power To All" (Yeah, it's 8-Bit)

Oh my Days
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Oh my Days » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:21 pm

New Danzbach wrote:Tag.

"Tag" posts are spam, bookmark or subscribe to a thread instead, as it says in the One Stop Rules Shop.
Citizen of The East Pacific and Osiris

Yigales
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yigales » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:39 am

How do you elect a WA deleget in a reigon?

Pythria
Minister

Founded: Feb 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Pythria » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:17 pm

Yigales wrote:How do you elect a WA deleget in a reigon?
The WA nation with the most endorsements becomes the delegate. If there's a tie, I believe the nation which was in the region longer becomes delegate.
Last edited by Pythria on Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alkorra
Secretary

Founded: Dec 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Alkorra » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:30 pm

One thing I am not entirely clear on. At first, it says that you can only recruit in the game created regions, such as Lazarus. Then it says "3) You can find newly created nations by checking the Regional Happenings in the feeders - the game-created regions in which new nations are "born"." This would not include Lazarus. So, can you send recruitment TGs in Lazarus, or is it limited to the RMB?

Kalibarr
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalibarr » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:53 pm

You can send recruitment messages to Lazarus, as well as the Rejected Realms

Naivetry
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:01 pm

Alkorra wrote:One thing I am not entirely clear on. At first, it says that you can only recruit in the game created regions, such as Lazarus. Then it says "3) You can find newly created nations by checking the Regional Happenings in the feeders - the game-created regions in which new nations are "born"." This would not include Lazarus. So, can you send recruitment TGs in Lazarus, or is it limited to the RMB?

Yep - you may send recruitment telegrams to nations in Lazarus. The second section you quoted is a discussion of where to find new nations, because that is where your recruitment telegrams are likely to be the most effective.

No genuinely new nations are "born" in Lazarus. Most of them are nations revived by people who have already been playing, but forgot to log in or let their nation die, so that it Ceased To Exist. All such nations are automatically moved to Lazarus when the player logs in again and requests that the nation be restored. Any nation that is not in Lazarus because it was revived has moved there by choice. (The same goes for The Rejected Realms, except replace "revived" with "ejected".) That is why it is usually more effective to send telegrams to the actual new nations in The Pacific, etc... but it's still legal to recruit by whatever means you would like in all game-created regions.
Last edited by Naivetry on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay