NATION

PASSWORD

The Rejected Times

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:28 pm

NoblePhnx wrote:I think things are deliberately murky right about now, but of course no way to tell due to the aforementioned murkiness.

Yes, Rachel is being purposefully opaque in her intentions. I am returning in kind. I have no interest in falling for her pretty weak attempt at baiting me into confirming a secret evil defenderist agenda in TSP.

Solorni
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:35 pm

I'm pretty sure Syl can see I am simply asking questions...
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:32 pm

I can't speak for why the questions are being asked, but your questions do make me curious as to what the answers would be if someone with no relative background to the situation asked them.

So, on that note...

Glen, do you feel like defender influence is healthier for TSP than the other kinds of influence that could exist in the region?
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:21 pm

Ridersyl wrote:Glen, do you feel like defender influence is healthier for TSP than the other kinds of influence that could exist in the region?

Yes. Before defender influence, our players suffered from severe deficiencies in government. Disease was rampant. Hospitals were overcrowded and underfunded. This is what happens when you let Independents control everything. They don't stand for anything. They don't care about the sick and dying. Defenders care, and our regions has been better off under their stewardship. You see, it's not an evil defenderist plot. It's humanitarian aid.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:23 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Ridersyl wrote:Glen, do you feel like defender influence is healthier for TSP than the other kinds of influence that could exist in the region?

Yes. Before defender influence, our players suffered from severe deficiencies in government. Disease was rampant. Hospitals were overcrowded and underfunded. This is what happens when you let Independents control everything. They don't stand for anything. They don't care about the sick and dying. Defenders care, and our regions has been better off under their stewardship. You see, it's not an evil defenderist plot. It's humanitarian aid.

Oh god, when did this turn into the American Midterm elections?
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:43 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:

<snip>

At least you made the second question-dodge hilarious. Wait, does that mean the more questions you dodge, the more hilarious you are? Like some sort of awesome political dodgeball player? MORE!

Glen, if you could pick an influence to dominate TSP, would you choose defender influence over the other kinds of influence that could exist in the region?
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Re: The Rejected Times: Issue XXX!

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:01 pm

I would choose my own influence. I don't care for a lot of the leading defenders out there.

But I guess defender influence would be better than demonic influence. I think we can all agree on that.

Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:15 pm

The Stalker probably doesn't. :P
Valrifell wrote:Oh god, when did this turn into the American Midterm elections?
When people realized that a lot of the big shots advocating for being independent see it more like Greg Orman style independence than truly unaffiliated independence?

;)
AKA Weed

The Rejected Times
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 07, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby The Rejected Times » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:33 pm

A Smooth Rejectmas For Everyone!
COMMENTARY | TRR STAFF

As dawn approaches, custodians sweep broken glass from the floors of the empty, decrepit shopping malls. Today is the morning after Rejectmas in The Rejected Realms. A familiar tune echoes through the halls…

♫ ♪ “Are you hannnnnging up a caroller on your wall?
It's the time that every child has a ball!
Does he tell you his greatest fear?
Look to the stars and the moon,
Colour the house – purple, black and dramoon!” ♫ ♪

♪ ♫ “So here it is… Hairy Rejectmas!
Everybody's having fun
Turn the clock to three now,
It’s only just begunnnnnnnnnn!” ♬ ♪ ♫

♫ “Are you waiting for the family to arrive?
Are you sure you got a cupboard to spare inside?
Does your granny always tell ya,
That tangerines are the best?
Before mum puts her back in the cupboard, with the rest!” ♪ ♬ ♩

♫ ♩ ♬ “So here it is… Hairy Rejectmas!
Everybody's having fun
Turn the clock to three now,
It’s only just begunnnnnnnnnn!” ♩ ♫ ♪

… like always, Rejectmas has devastated the local shopping centres and authorities suggest that this year, in particular, there were even higher recorded incidences of violence targeting carolers than last year.

As the collective hangover passes, the Foreign Affairs department is expected to return to work shortly and sign the paperwork for The Rejected Realms’ eighteen new embassies, which had been approved spontaneously and without due consideration. The new embassies include, Union of States, Advanta, The Federation of Micro States, The Region for Christians, 786 Main St Deathland, The Red Raiders, The Social Quarters, Coalition of Allied Nations, War Weary, Swingsack, Eternal Silence, The World Alliance, The Republic Nations, The Order of Disorder, Brightport, Right to Life, An Escape, Sangreal and Thomasmoria.

When asked whether he felt the festivities had been, perhaps, too enthusiastic, the delegate, Unibot scoffed. “Get off it! It’s Rejectmas!”

How did the Reject’s delegate spend his Rejectmas, you might ask? Although slightly pained by a recent operation (wisdom teeth), the delegate had been bombarded with candy from citizens and appeared to be in good spirits as he gave the Christmas Lecture at the NationStates World Fair; “Speaking Truth to Power” describes itself as a comparative analysis of freedom of speech in Game-Created Regions.

“I spent Rejectmas like any good Reject should!” says Unibot, wearing the most god-awful jumper. “Eating tangerines and drinking coffee. Looted some fine presents in the morning. Watched some Doctor Who. Erm, watched a lot of Doctor Who. And of course, seafood. My aunt and I make it a tradition to eat seafood every Rejectmas. Not sure why, but it's good.”

His favourite present looted item?

“Actually, it might be a bit boring, but I got a couple of jumpers which I actually think are quite nice,” says Unibot, adding with a wink, “- think the gals might agree.”

As for what is in store for The Rejected Realms next year, Unibot insists you’ll have to wait and see.

“All I can say is: I was cooking up a storm in my kitchen for one of the region’s next projects,” explains Unibot, “smoke was everywhere. Haven’t nailed it yet, but I think it’ll turn out beautiful when I get it right!”

In the meantime, we here at The Rejected Times hope you all had a very Hairy Rejectmas!
Last edited by The Rejected Realms Media Corporation on Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:43 am

If the doctors find out at my next checkup that my cancer has come back, I'm going to tell them that it was because I read that article.
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos

The Rejected Times
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rejected Times » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:10 am

Ridersyl wrote:If the doctors find out at my next checkup that my cancer has come back, I'm going to tell them that it was because I read that article.

The Rejected Times: Giving you worse news than your oncologist since forever.

That's us!
Last edited by The Rejected Realms Media Corporation on Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kazmr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kazmr » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:39 pm

Ridersyl wrote:If the doctors find out at my next checkup that my cancer has come back, I'm going to tell them that it was because I read that article.

Wow, ur so kool dood. U get that dat from 4chan?
Former Chairman of the Peoples Republic of Lazarus
Officer of the Lazarene Liberation Army
Also known as United Gordonopia

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:08 pm

Kazmr wrote:

Wow, ur so kool dood. U get that dat from 4chan?

No, I came up with that joke when I was watching a terrible TV commercial during one of my chemotherapy sessions over the summer.
I modified it for this occasion, of course. :)
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos

The Rejected Times
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rejected Times » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:01 pm

The Office of Internal Affairs has decided to re-open the cold case on the murder of Kandarin. After reviewing and interviewing old suspects, collecting evidence, and analyzing the case file, The Office of Internal Affairs has decided there are six notable suspects.

Since The Rejected Realms has no court system, this case will be decided in the court of public opinion. The Office of Internal Affairs will hold a vote at the end of the month to decide who "the people" think was the killer.

Feel free to participate by voting in this thread's current poll.

INTERROGATIONS:

INTERROGATION: CRAZYGIRL

Please state your name and title.
Crazy Girl
High Commander of the Rejected Realms Army
Former Senatrix and Lictor of the Meritocracy
Former Secretary of Defense of the Alliance Defense Network
Second in command of the former Pacific Army
Founder of the Freedom Fighters
Other titles I have forgotten or want to forget
General trouble maker
Lover of coffee
Her excellency Dutchy Moddess
Queen of Sedgistan

High Commander CrazyGirl. You have been summoned today as a suspect in the murder of Kandarin, former delegate of The Rejected Realms. How do you know the deceased? What was your relationship with them?
I have known him as Delegate of the Rejected Realms and the lazy High Commander of the Rejected Realms who only popped in when his comfy seat was threatened. Our relationship was that I defended his lazy ass on his lazy throne. That and I named our BBQ&Grill after him. And I made a parody nation based on him. And anything else I'll deny.

What were you doing around 9:20 am on September 18?
Drinking coffee of course. What else?

Did you notice anything out of the ordinary that morning, or anyone acting suspiciously?
My coffee only had two lumps of sugar in it, instead of three. Quite worrying. Sedgistan had a smug grin on his face, though this is not entirely unusual, Dalimbar was sharping some knives, though he could just be keeping up something in the kitchen, Whamabama was pretending to be invisible under a cloak, Guy was putting up a weird accent, Naivetry was reading a book in ancient Greek instead of Latin, Darkesia was humming, skipping and even singing, which made me think the end of the world was near, Onderkelkia was watching Buffy the musical, and Frattle was hugging a teddy bear. I bet he is the one who messed up my coffee.

The initial police report states that you ordered the investigation closed without any reasoning. Why did you close the investigation? Normally the death of such an esteemed figure would lead to a massive inquiry.
Didn't you hear? My coffee only had two lumps instead of three! That investigation took priority, I couldn't waste manpower on Kandy. It's not like he was going anywhere.

Were there any tensions going on between the TRR government and the RRA at the time of the murder? Since the RRA isn't under the control of the government, I imagine there would be some butting of heads behind the scenes.
Butt heading is so 1990s. No, my dear, we resolved our differences with a Bake Off. Of course Kandarin objected since the judges were RRA soldiers and they knew who to vote for if they didn't want to run 10 extra laps at 3 am. But mostly they were jealous of our flag and the roof top pool room. When I fooled all of them to move to my forum though, all was well. Anything else simply got deleted.

We know of your love for coffee and other caffeinated products. A trail of spilled coffee was found leading from the entry hall to the site of the murder on the morning of the killing. Do you know where this trail came from?
No, but I will catch that culprit who dares to spill coffee. OFF WITH THEIR HEADS I SAY!

Who do you think would stand to gain most from Kandarin's death?
Naivetry, she inherited the throne. When it should have been me! Well, and everyone who wanted a damn constitution. New-fangled bull sh*t. *grumble*

Thank you for your time.
Thank you for the coffee
INTERROGATION: DARKESIA

Darkesia, Regional WA Delegate for TWP

Ms. Darkesia. You have been summoned today as a suspect in the murder of Kandarin, former delegate of The Rejected Realms. How do you know the deceased?
I noticed Kandarin early in my career when I spent a good deal of time snacking on the BBQ in TRR.

What was your relationship with them?
I was friendly with him and would sneak in to the region to stalk him often. He seemed to like the attention.

Preparing for International Talk Like a Pirate Day which remains one of my favorite occasions.

Did you notice anything out of the ordinary that morning, or anyone acting suspiciously?
Everyone seems suspicious to me.

We found a safe with some chocolate residue on it in one of the guest rooms. Is it true that you have an affinity for chocolate products?
Chocolate is life. But I would never waste it in such a manner as to leave it smeared all over the place.

Do you know what was in the safe?
Oh, I can't tell you that. Those pictures were private!

You were also mentioned in Kandarin's will as receiving some "chocolate, to be delivered when you least expect it." Did you expect to be mentioned in the deceased's will, and if so, did you expect to receive more?
I did not expect to be mentioned in the will. I can say that I have yet to receive that chocolate. Maybe because now that he mentioned it in the will, I am always expecting it!

As a fellow GCR delegate, you are privy to some conversations that others might not hear. Do you know why someone might have wanted to kill Kandarin, or who might stand to gain from his death?
Kandarin was well liked. I don't think anyone would want him dead. But he might have wanted someone to think he was dead. That's all I will say about that.

Thank you for your time.
Anything to help. Do you have any chocolate?
INTERROGATION: DALIMBAR

*takes a drag from his cigarette* Who wants to know? Oh, you do. Fine, fine.

Dalimbar
Former Pharaoh and Delegate of Osiris
Former Delegate of The North Pacific
Former Deputy Director of RLA Intelligence
Member of the Imperial Council of The Empire
Member and Bartender of the Ex-Feeder Tyrant Club
Folk Hero of the Pacifics

Yadda yadda, I'm sure I'm boring you by this point, sir.

Mr. Dalimbar. You have been summoned today as a suspect in the murder of Kandarin, former delegate of The Rejected Realms. How do you know the deceased?
Well, we've been acquainted for years. I first knew him when he was a dirty Papist, but he wasn't a bad Papist I guess. For the most part, he'd just sit on his throne, and sometimes we'd have to swing by and make sure someone worse didn't take it. His BBQ was certainly a treat for when we had to visit.

Platonic. Never got a chance to have him join my harem. Shame, really.

I was in a meeting. About what? None of your business.

What isn't out of the ordinary? Seriously, man, this whole place makes melting clocks look normal. Though, come to think of it, I did notice CrazyGirl looking particularly upset, I think someone spilled her coffee or something. Sedge looked, well, like how Sedge normally looks, so I didn't think too much about that. Unibot was awfully quiet, not ranting and raving about whatever thought came into his head that day. That was kinda eerie, to be honest. Hmm, who else. Wham looked a little bloodier than usual, but I did ask him to go hunt some meat for us for the BBQ we were going to do later that day. Guy seemed to be speaking some weird language, or at least had this weird accent going on, and at one point Naivetry threw a spare Latin book at him. No idea what that was about. Wait, hmm. Dark had a huge bar of chocolate, but not her usual favourite. This time, it was white chocolate. I think that's it.

We have found glitter all over a room near the scene of the crime. There also seems to be an association between you and glitter. Does the glitter all over that room have any connection to you? Also do you like Nickelback?
Ewwwww, glitter! God, that stuff is terrible. No matter how many times Nai and Nee protest, I still regard it as a weapon. A weapon of mass destruction. It gets all over your body, and no matter how hard you try, it never completely goes away. I'd never subject my enemies to that. Also, what was that about Nickleback? That makes it even worse of a crime! Glitter and Nickleback in the same place? My god. The horror.

Crazygirl claims to have seen you sharpening knifes in the kitchen on the day in question. Were you and why?
Wham and I always enjoy a good BBQ, so while he was getting the meat, I was getting the knives ready. Nothing more, nothing less.

You've couped some feeders in the past so you seem likely to know about wanting to make someone go away. Can you think of anyone who might have wanted Kandarin out of the way? Maybe you know of someone who might have gained from his death?
A lot of people. All the old folks in the RRA secretly wanted him out of the way so they could have their moment in the sun. The raiders certainly wanted him gone to make it easier to take the region and make it into, and I quote, their "crown jewel". As I say, a heck of a lot of people would have wanted him out of the picture.

Thank you for your time.
INTERROGATION: NAIVETRY

Ms. Naivetry?

Hm? Oh, right, that's me. Just "Nai" is fine, dear.

You have been summoned today as a suspect in the murder of Kandarin, former delegate of The Rejected Realms. How do you know the deceased?

Well. I used to hang out in Kandy's barbecue all the time: between-defense snacks, you know? You can work up quite an appetite switching between puppets at 4 am.

What was your relationship with Kandarin?

Not-so-secret fangirl since the Taijitu invasion of summer 2007. I respected him more than anyone else in NationStates; he showed me early on that it was possible to play with integrity, selflessness, and good humor. And did I mention the TRR barbecue? Good stuff. I got to know him a little better while I was working for Equilism FA, and we eventually became friends - sometime during the Empire's first takeover in TEP. Yeah. Remember Gnidrah? Gatesville? That one.

Let's see, 9:20 a.m. on Sept. 18... let me check my records... *pulls out a huge three-ring binder* Ah, yes, that takes me back. I was in the middle of a long Rule 4 funk at the time, so I hadn't taken the commuter train from Equilism to the NS board meetings for a couple of months. I was hanging out on embassy row instead in the mornings, enjoying my morning cup of coffee and people watching. ...No, sir, I'm afraid if you have to ask where that is, you probably don't have the clearance to know. I was always there in those days, in my spot on the couch. So afraid of missing out on the conversations. *sips tea* Of course, sometimes it's what people don't say that turns out to be the most important, don't you think?

As I recall, I ran into a number of people that morning. Nee and I had been up late working on a cookie-baking and glitter party the night before, though, and my coffee hadn't kicked in yet - so I'm a little fuzzy on the details. CG was stalking the halls and muttering about crimes against coffee - burnt or spilled was my assumption. I felt sorry for her new intern. Dali had his jackboots on in the salon, and was smoking a cigar, but that's not unusual. The rope he had piled next to the chair did strike me as strange, though. Wham looked furtive, and I heard the sound of sharpening knives from the kitchen after he disappeared in that direction - but I just figured he was about to try to procure some beef from The Pacific again. Unibot wandered by - I'm not sure from where - and stared at Darkesia rather oddly for a few minutes until Sedge had him escorted off the premises.

Do you know of the Order of the Violet Blood? If so, could you explain what they are and if they have any connection to the murder of Kandarin?

The Order of the Violet Blood? Is that a Klingon reference?

Having to take over for Kandarin after his murder might have given you some insight on who might have not been so torn up about his death. Maybe someone wanted the delegate spot and was unable to get that position for an example. Do you know why someone might have wanted to kill Kandarin, or who might stand to gain from his death?

The question is who *thought* they stood to gain. There aren't many people who would have benefited directly from his death besides those listed in the will. But lots of people might have benefited from a situation of disruption and general anarchy in TRR. It seems to me the question we need to ask is, who actually knew what was in Kandarin's will before he died? For that matter, who knew that he had a will? It certainly came as a surprise to me.

Now it is important to note it does seem like you benefited the most from Kandarin's death. Having gained the delegacy after all. In interrogations of both CrazyGirl and Unibot it was put out there that you stood to gain the most in their eyes. Now why do you think they were so eager to point the finger towards you?

Well, I would seem to be the obvious choice, wouldn't I? *grins* I just have to say that anyone who thinks the delegacy of TRR is a prize to be won doesn't understand what it takes to govern here the way Kandy did, and the way I wanted to. Yes, it's an honor... but you pay to wear it.

As for why they might have been eager to point fingers... *shrugs* I don't think CG has ever trusted me not to do something nefarious - or worse, incompetent. Although possibly she just got tired of hearing me moralize... that's a common sentiment, I understand. And Uni? Honestly, I'm not sure why he would blame me. From what I remember, he thought Sedge was the one who was really in charge.

Thank you for you time.

Certainly! Can I offer you a cookie before you leave? Fresh out of the oven. There you go. Have two!
INTERROGATION: SEDGISTAN

Sedgistan, aka Sedge, Sedgie, Sedgie-poo, Sedgehammer.
Old Guard of The Rejected Realms
FRA Oligarchy, Class of 2007
Primogenitor of the Security Council
Got More Issues Than You
CG's Dogsbody
Former Secretary-General of the COFR... actually, pretend you didn't hear that one.

Mr. Sedgistan. You have been summoned today as a suspect in the murder of Kandarin, former delegate of The Rejected Realms. How do you know the deceased?

He was the kindly old figure who lived in the crumbling TRR mansion until we did the place up a few years ago. A lovely chap, he always had a story to tell, but truth be told, he smelled a bit funny. Charred meat, I think.

I'd wave at him as I walked past his place, and we'd occasionally exchange pleasantries, but that was the extent of our relationship. It's hard to relate to someone from so many generations ago.

Cleaning CrazyGirl's boots. And worse, I was late! Those ketchup stains were really stubborn. Which is odd, as she never really liked ketchup.

Wham was smiling. He never smiles! CG's breath smelled of chocolate. How do I know? Well that would be telling...

You were the FRA Arch-Chancellor and probably knew the political climate around the time of the murder. Do you know why someone might have wanted to kill Kandarin, or who might stand to gain from his death?

It was a long time since I'd been Arch Chancellor of the FRA, in fact. My reputation was fading, and clearly it was time to do something to put that right. So really, I had the most incenti... oh, wait. Fratt. Kandarin always hated Italians. Something about sprinkling oregano on his BBQ. Fratt definitely wanted Kandarin dead.

During an interrogation it was mentioned how people may have thought that you gained power from the death of Kandarin. That you were in charge behind the scenes. Why is that?

Well, of course I was in charge. Who else would you trust to run the place? What you really need to be asking is who wouldn't want me in charge. And then hand me a list of names.

Thank you for your time.

No problem. Best of luck in your investigation, Officer - I'm sure you'll arrive at the correct conclusion. One would hate to think of the consequences if you didn't.
INTERROGATION: UNIBOT

Mr. Unibot. You have been summoned today as a suspect in the murder of Kandarin, former delegate of The Rejected Realms. How do you know the deceased?

*Looks to his lawyer* Lawyer: You can answer that.

*Nods*

I knew him when I was a WA Author. I used to speak with him - try to convince him to vote a certain way on a vote if at all possible.

What was your relationship with Kandarin?

He was friends with everyone, so I guess I could just say "friend". He often tried to mentor me here or there, but I'm often quite a stubborn mule. We got to know each other better as a member of a secret society, The Order of the Violet Bloo--

*His lawyer shakes his head furiously*

--od.

Well, I had stayed the night like the other guests, you see. Kandarin had invited us for a party. He was celebrating something -- the invitation was ambiguous. Perhaps it was a surprise retirement party... but of course, it was a surprise. *sobs*

I'm only up that early if I have coffee and the evening goes well - if you know what I mean. *winks* A gentlemen doesn't tell though!

I had been upstairs, I had forgotten something when the lights had gone dark and - *closes his eyes to remember* Guy let out a series of curse words in a weird accent... a really weird accent and .... what was Onderkelkia doing there!? I remember Onderkelkia and I remember he screamed - like really screamed. A little girl would have felt emasculated beside that shrill cry for help.

It's a bit fuzzy beyond that.

In an interrogation of Dalimbar, he mentioned that on the day of the murder you were oddly quiet. Do you have any explanation for this?

Well... uh... I'm often am nervous around beautiful women - that Darkesia she sure is looker! Might of had something to do with that dress she was wearing. Wowzer. Not many women can pull off glitter like that. I was also just a bit out of it - I swear there was something funky in my coffee. I had to be escorted out by the RRA - could barely keep my left and my right foot straight.

*his lawyer bangs head against the table*

Is your favorite color purple? If not, would you use that color to write messages?

Well... purple is the colour of the delegacy in TRR. It's been that way for years. The delegate's name on the forum is always in purple. Later on I chose purple as our regional colour for that reason - although I made it more of an indigo as a Doctor Who reference (Hah!). That having been said, the only ones I could think of that would write messages in purple however is the Order of the Violet Blood.

The Oath of the Guild was written in purple.

*clears throat*

I: I will uphold the safety of NationStates in these times of the Great Decline.
II: Survival is not enough.
III: I will retain my confidence of a revival at all times.

Being the current delegate of The Rejected Realms, you might know what it's like to have people who might want you out of power for whatever reason. They might be the same characters that didn't like Kandarin. Do you know why someone might have wanted to kill Kandarin, or who might stand to gain from his death?

Oh, well. There were a lot of people who waiting for Kandarin to die off so they could take power - The RRA for sure, but also Nai, I'd imagine. Plus Nai had friends like Dali and Wham who certainly were better off with Kandarin gone. Now that I think about it, most people stood to gain from his murder.

Thank you for your time.
Last edited by The Rejected Realms Media Corporation on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Klaus Devestatorie
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Klaus Devestatorie » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:07 pm

Crazygirl and Naivetry got really mad at each other on TRR's forums when Kandarin left over who was going to take control of the region. As I recall it, it was not an election that decided the next delegate, but Kandarin's will. It's almost certainly one of those two.

Unibot III
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Unibot III » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:59 am

Klaus Devestatorie wrote:Crazygirl and Naivetry got really mad at each other on TRR's forums when Kandarin left over who was going to take control of the region. As I recall it, it was not an election that decided the next delegate, but Kandarin's will. It's almost certainly one of those two.

And you would think I wouldn't approve of a reopening of a case that implicated me....
[violet] wrote:I mean this in the best possible way,
but Unibot is not a typical NS player.
Milograd wrote:You're a caring, resolute lunatic
with the best of intentions.
Org. Join Date: 25-05-2008 | Former Delegate of TRR

Factbook // Collected works // Gameplay Alignment Test //
9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Headlines from Unibot // WASC HQ: A Guide

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
✯ Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Sovreignry
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 14, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sovreignry » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:27 pm

Unibot III wrote:
Klaus Devestatorie wrote:Crazygirl and Naivetry got really mad at each other on TRR's forums when Kandarin left over who was going to take control of the region. As I recall it, it was not an election that decided the next delegate, but Kandarin's will. It's almost certainly one of those two.

And you would think I wouldn't approve of a reopening of a case that implicated me....

Ah ha! But you would say that to throw suspicion off yourself to get us to think that it wasn't you!
From the desk of
William Chocox Ambassador from The Unitary Kingdom of Sovreignry
Office 50, fifth floor, farthest from the elevator
You're supposed to be employing the arts of diplomacy, not the ruddy great thumping sledgehammers of diplomacy. -Ardchoille
It would be easier just to incorporate a "Grief Region" button, so you wouldn't even need to make the effort to do the actual raiding. Players could just bounce from region to region and destroy everyone else's efforts at will, without even bothering about WA status. Wouldn't that be nice. -Frisbeeteria

Why yes, we are better looking: UDL

Ever-Wandering Souls
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ever-Wandering Souls » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:42 pm

"Sedgehammer," in the Library, with Blaat's Ban-sickle. *nods*
Proud Raider; General of The Black Hawks, Ret.
TG me anytime; I'm always happy to talk about anything!

The Alicorns (Equestria) wrote:Let them stay, no need to badmouth them...From our view a bunch of nations just came in, seized the delegate position, and changed a few superficial things...we play NationStates differently...there's really no reason for us to be butthurt.
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8944227
http://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=8951258

Misley wrote:
Hobbesistan wrote:Don't think I understand the question.
The color or what?..

Jesus, Hobbes, it's 2015. You can't just call someone "the color".

Reploid Productions wrote:Raiders are endlessly creative

How Do I Telegram API?

Omnis delenda est.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:47 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:"Sedgehammer," in the Library, with Blaat's Ban-sickle. *nods*

Keep me out of this.

My account on the TRR forums has not been used in about a decade (2005). I have nothing to do with this!

I also don't have a bansicle, I'm not a communist moderator :p
Last edited by The Blaatschapen on Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Pestarzt the Traveller
Attaché

Founded: May 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pestarzt the Traveller » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:02 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:"Sedgehammer," in the Library, with Blaat's Ban-sickle. *nods*

Keep me out of this.

My account on the TRR forums has not been used in about a decade (2005). I have nothing to do with this!

I also don't have a bansicle, I'm not a communist moderator :p

Maybe you should be.
westpacific.org

Unibot III
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Unibot III » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:18 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:My account on the TRR forums has not been used in about a decade (2005). I have nothing to do with this!

You thought we'd fall for that? ;)
Last edited by Unibot III on Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[violet] wrote:I mean this in the best possible way,
but Unibot is not a typical NS player.
Milograd wrote:You're a caring, resolute lunatic
with the best of intentions.
Org. Join Date: 25-05-2008 | Former Delegate of TRR

Factbook // Collected works // Gameplay Alignment Test //
9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Headlines from Unibot // WASC HQ: A Guide

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
✯ Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

The Rejected Times
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rejected Times » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:49 pm

Issue XXXI | January 04, 2015.

Index

"Tim and Ridersyl Neck-And-Neck in Osiris Pharaoh Elections," by Unibot.
"The Revolution Will Not Be Revolutionized," by Cormac Stark.
"'2015 is The Year of the Reject,' says Unibot," by TRR Staff.
"An Eye for An Eye Makes The Whole World Blind," by The Church of Satan.
"A Good Old Fashioned Whodunit," by Unibot.
"NationStates Economic Model Overhauled," by Gruenberg.
"World Assembly “Warms Up” to Nuclear Arms Reform," by Unibot.
"Pivotal “Voting Rights Act” Passes in TNP," by Unibot.

Tim and Ridersyl Neck-And-Neck in Osiris Pharaoh Elections
“First Past The Post” Proves Problematic.
COMMENTARY | UNIBOT

What began as an open field in Osiris has become a very tight and exciting election for Pharaoh, who, of course, serves as the head of state and head of government in Osiris.

The race has narrowed between the two lead frontrunners, Tim Stark and Ridersyl, with Abacathea, Andrew and Vaculatestar trailing albeit closely. With an unusually large number of abstentions among the electorate and the opportunity to cast a decisive late vote, this election has proved to be a helter-skelter affair for its contenders, who have no doubt been anxious for the past few days for the election’s final results.

This election, the First-Past-The-Post system used in Osiris has also been found to be problematic. With so many candidates running in this particular election, the electorate has naturally been divided – vote splitting can favour candidates whose base of support is less divided than those whose base is divided between a number of candidates. In a region like Osiris where the region has some apparent divisions – undercurrents of imperialism, invaderism and independentism – the First-Past-The-Post system exacerbates underlying tensions by emphasising the need for mobilisation and unity among each Osiran faction to support “their” candidate. An alternative voting system such as Condorcet or Instant-Runoff Vote could more easily accommodate the preferences of voters and engrain the principle of majority rule into Osiran politics, which has long sought consensus and togetherness.

The unlikely frontrunner of the race has been Tim Stark, whose platform, like Ridersyl and his other fellow candidates, emphasises the need for a drastic effort to revitalise Osiris’s internal infrastructure. However, Tim has set himself apart from the pack by being the only candidate to emphasise a need for change in terms of Osiran foreign policy especially with regards to how Osiris should interact with other Game-Created Regions – standing behind the principle of feeder and sinker unity, Tim argued that supporting coups of other Game-Created Regions in the past had set Osiris back in terms of diplomatic prowess more than it benefited Osiris.

The Rejected Times was fortunate enough to speak with Tim about his campaign. He found that internal activity was the most pressing issue facing Osiris.

“As important as image, or military prowess might be, we can't cultivate those successfully without a strong, active citizen base to build off of,” says Tim. “I wish to focus on the Internal Affairs of Osiris, and increase the amount of citizen involvement within the region. This means providing more opportunities for our current citizens to get involved, and find new and effective ways to integrate potential citizens so that they may join our community. Once we fix our Internal Affairs, there can be a stronger focus on the other fronts, but this should for sure be the priority and key issue to deal with.”

Although, Tim has a reputation for running “joke campaigns” in Game-Created Regions, this campaign has been a serious attempt on his part.

“I've built up a reputation for joke campaigns and generally taking NationStates without even the lightest trace of seriousness,” admits Tim. “To have people actually supporting one of the few serious campaigns I've made in the past few years has been more than surprising, especially in a region like Osiris where I might not be the most well regarded person presently. I'd, of course, like to thank each and every person who has supported me or even gave my campaign thread a few minutes of time, as it does make me feel like I'm making a worthwhile campaign regardless of if I win or not.”

Tim also believes that Ridersyl and Tim’s different backgrounds set them apart as candidates.

“I think the biggest contrast, quite obviously, is the difference in R/D factions,” says Tim. “I'm a pretty staunch Defender, and he's a pretty staunch Raider. I guess I also offered free pizza where he didn't, but I'm more than happy to provide him some free pizza to give out as well. If there are other major contrasts, I don't know. I'd rather leave that up to the voters to decide.”

Ridersyl has presented him as the (self-described) “bright-eyed, inexperienced candidate”; naturally, in politics, inexperience is not necessarily a weakness. I would suggest that Osiris has some fault-lines starting to show within its community – especially between invaders and imperialists – and it appears as though Ridersyl has positioned himself as the invader’s candidate (awful terminology), given his background in The Black Riders and his recent comments with regards to the “unintentional toxicity” between Osiris and its imperialist allies. Ridersyl even went on to suggest in his campaign thread that he would be more likely to support a coup of The Rejected Realms perpetrated by The Black Hawks than one led by the United Imperial Armed Forces (UIAF), despite the fact The Black Hawks are not treaty allies of Osiris. Nonetheless, Ridersyl, like Tim, is majorly concerned with improving the internal health and activity of Osiris.

“We need to boost activity,” says Ridersyl, “and we need to do it while also ensuring we don't lead ourselves into a situation that could be toxic for the region. That's the most important issue of the election for me, and nothing else comes close to it.”

While Tim emphasised his differences with Ridersyl in terms of ideology, Ridersyl emphasised to The Rejected Times that their differences lay more in terms of leadership style.

“Tim and I have run on very similar campaign platforms,” says Ridersyl, “but where I and him contrast is that he's pretty much set on certain principles, whereas I'm more liable to take the approach that best makes sense for the situation and then adapt my position based on changing tides or new information. Another very obvious contrast is Tim's political experience, compared to my lack of it." Although Ridersyl does add, "Then, there's our opposite R/D alignments. He leans defender and I'm very much on the raider side.”

Regardless, Ridersyl was surprised by the strong showing of support he received in Osiris and complimented this election's civility and healthy debate.

“I have been a social and community-minded citizen of Osiris since I joined the region, so I knew that a lot of those eligible to vote were people that liked me as a player and a person,” explains Ridersyl. “However, liking someone as a candidate is a different matter, so when I put forth a very serious campaign despite my lack of political experience, I wasn't expecting much solid support. I have definitely been surprised in that regard, and I'm happy that voters have shown confidence in my proclaimed ability to adapt to a new role, as well as my other strong qualities.”

“The politics surrounding the election have been very active, and yet, free of any toxicity,” adds Ridersyl “Since all of us in the region want to see Osiris restored under the next Pharaoh, back into a healthy and active GCR, seeing a healthy and active election is an excellent start for us.”

Voting is expected to close this afternoon at 5:30 pm EST.

Tim is currently leading the race, 8-4, against Ridersyl, while Andrew and Vaculatestar are trailing with two votes each.

The Revolution Will Not Be Revolutionized
COMMENTARY | CORMAC STARK

"You say you want a revolution... wellllll, I guess..."

Earlier this week, the West Pacific Post, maintained by Pestarzt the Traveller, announced the formation of the Revolutionary Party of The West Pacific. Pestarzt is a nation maintained by the player behind Milograd, largely responsible for the successful launch of the People's Republic of Lazarus in 2013 that brought an activity boom to a region that had long looked like a Sinker retirement home for inactive, veteran imperialists. Pestarzt promised that the revolution in The West Pacific wouldn't be an anti-government revolution, "but rather a revolution against the cultural complacency and deference of proactivity towards the current leadership."

"The leadership is not at fault for our activity," the announcement went on to say. "[W]e are, because we haven't been the change we want to see."

Unfortunately, hopes that this revolutionary rhetoric might translate into actual, concrete change in The West Pacific were quickly dashed the following day, when Pestarzt announced that Cascadia had been invaded by The West Pacific Armed Forces and The Association of Imperialism. This invasion marked a continuation of the imperialist policy pursued by Delegate All Good People and continued by his successor, Darkesia. It was a random invasion to project The West Pacific's power, straight out of the playbook of the United Imperial Armed Forces, except that the invasion was so poorly conducted that it was liberated by a coalition of defender forces just one update later. So much for the projection of power; the invasion, like most other initiatives undertaken by the elite oligarchy of The West Pacific in recent years, was a failure that attracted little enthusiasm and participation from natives of The West Pacific.

Expressions of disappointment by Delegate Unibot of The Rejected Realms and former Lazarene Chairman Funkadelia following announcement of the invasion were, if anything, understated. Perhaps the greatest accomplishment of the player behind Milograd was recognizing that the same tired policy of so-called independence, and a foreign policy beholden to imperialists, would not rejuvenate the failed state that preceded the People's Republic of Lazarus. He recognized that a bolder approach was needed. Now, as Pestarzt, he is trying to launch a revolution with more of the same. He is trying to fight cultural complacency with cultural complacency. He is trying to break a pattern of deference to leadership by deferring to the failed policies of that same leadership.

It is no doubt disappointing for his former defender colleagues to see the player who was once the former Chairman of the People's Republic of Lazarus, a former Chief Lieutenant of the United Defenders League and former Arch Chancellor of the Founderless Regions Alliance, involved in invasions. But it should be far more disappointing for anyone interested in seeing an active and functional West Pacifican society and government. This revolution is not a revolution at all; if anything, it is counter-revolutionary in nature, reinforcing the reactionary imperialist policies of The West Pacific elite by dressing it up in the rhetoric of revolution.

The policies of oligarchy and imperialism have utterly failed to capture the imagination and inspire the participation of the natives of The West Pacific. While other Feeders thrive, it continues to wither. It is a shame for the people of The West Pacific that they do not have Milograd to challenge their tired status quo. Instead, they are stuck with Pestarzt the Traveller, a counter-revolutionary masquerading as the vanguard of change. It appears that if the natives of The West Pacific want to see actual change in their region, they will, as Pestarzt so aptly said, have to be the change they want to see.

"2015 is The Year of the Reject," says Unibot
Polling shows strong support for the government
COMMENTARY | TRR STAFF

"If we resolve, nothing can stop us." - Unibot.

Unibot, Delegate of The Rejected Realms gave a rousing speech in The Rejected Realms on New Years Day. The speech, titled “All Systems Go” showed a renewed government with an ambitious set of objectives for the coming months.

“I think we have something really progressing here,” writes Unibot, “a community that shares mutual ties as rejects and elevating what it means to be a region in terms of cultural development. What we need to do now though is to hold onto what we have that is … so very special for a community and expand on it - and quickly. Grow in terms of numbers. Grow in terms of reach and reception. Grow in terms of community spirit, participation and initiative.”

Unibot enthusiastically announced that he had planned cultural initiatives for the next twelve months – the first of which would be announced soon from the Office of Internal Affairs. The future of The Rejected Realms appears to be in safe hands with the Office of Foreign Affairs considering an ambitious foreign affairs campaign and the Office of Human Resources setting a new recruitment objective for The Rejected Realms: fifty new citizens and fifty new soldiers for The Rejected Realms Army (RRA). Furthermore, Unibot also hinted that during the month of March, The Rejected Realms might also be considering constitutional reform although he was vague on the specifics of the reform other than to say that it might involve greater democratisation and a Bill of Rights.

Polling in November showed a strong improvement for the Office of Internal Affairs whose support rose from 53.8% disapproval to 80% approval between the months of July and November. Support for the Office of the World Assembly and the delegacy stayed at a relative constant.

Officer Guy also would retire from the Office of Foreign Affairs with a career high – full support from the polled electorate. The delegate would later award Guy, The Order of the Greymarshes, for his years of civil service to The Rejected Realms.

“Guy has served diligently, by my side, as my Officer of Foreign Affairs for two terms,” writes Unibot in his letter of commendation. “He was always someone I could trust to perform admirably. Under his hard work, we've seen the drafting of The XYZ Treaty and Pan-Sinker Security Pact, alongside our most recent treaties with The South Pacific, Wintreath and Taijitu.”

Unibot announced in his speech that this year’s “new years resolution” for The Rejected Realms was, indeed, to grow stronger than ever both culturally and institutionally – proclaiming this year, “the year of the reject”.

An Eye for An Eye Makes The Whole World Blind
Association of Imperialism Forum Destroyed
COMMENTARY | THE CHURCH OF SATAN

"A Tragic Setback for The Association of Imperialism"

Shadoke, ex-chancellor, has destroyed the forum of his former region, The Association of Imperialism. When Rifty, co-founder of the Association, logged on, he was bombarded with messages from Severisen, Ever-Wandering Souls and Noblephnx, among others, asking if he was the one responsible. Rifty was, suffice to say, blindsided by this reception.

Flabbergasted, Rifty notes that he thought to himself,"Destroying my own forum?!? For what reason?!? What would I possibly gain?!?"

As we all know, forum destruction is widely condemned. Committing such an act reduces the status of anyone, no matter how much they have done prior, no matter how decorated or distinguished they might be, into a pariah. Rightfully so, of course, as the devastation caused is perhaps the one universal taboo we have. No military ideology, no political stance and no government dares sanction forum destruction officially or otherwise. So what would drive someone to do such a thing? Shadoke himself, after much scrutiny from his peers, admitted to his crime on the official NationStates forum after Rifty, Founder of The Association of Imperialism, posted an official statement on the matter as well as evidence clearly proving Shadoke's guilt.

Shadoke did express remorse for his actions. "I made a mistake. I am truly sorry," writes Shadoke. "Whether you believe me or not. Whether you believe me or not. After [Rifty's] comments towards Festavo I did the one thing I thought could hurt Rifty, without looking at the full scope of what it would do to AOI." However it is believed that he was insincere in that statement. Especially, after he responded to his critics, noting "[he] would not fix it if this was an attack against Rifty, and only he got hurt [...]. Eye for an Eye for what he said [emphasis added]."

Despite the fact that Shadoke confessed, he did not do so without a fight. Excuses were made, lies were told, but to no avail. First, he tried to play the blame game, passing the blame to NEO Rome Republic, claiming he had given the password to the ROOT admin account to him. NEO Rome Republic and Rifty had an uneasy history one year ago, but Rome held no grudge. When that failed, he put together a false screenshot that was intended to back up a claim of his account being hacked. Unfortunately for him, the rush job showed "hack_tool.exe" in the downloads section of his screen. If he'd simply closed it before taking the screenshot, maybe he could have delayed it, but he would be found guilty sooner or later, nonetheless. As Rifty interrogated him for the truth over Skype, Shadoke eventually buckled. Shadoke had also confessed to Cormac of his actions prior to this news becoming public knowledge. It's unclear if that particular confession was before or after Rifty recovered his final admission of guilt.

Some people, new players in particular, are unaware of the etiquette around NationStates and how much we all despise forum destruction. The effects of this act are usually more than just losing a forum. Forums contain a region's history, its culture, its very government. Without any of those, what is a region really worth? Clearly Shadoke was not thinking straight, but regardless, it is an inexcusable act committed for petty reasons.

The consequences of forum destruction are grave. Numerous regions are now "blacklisting" Shadoke from their regions in part to attempt to protect their forums, but moreover, to ostracize those who perpetrate forum destruction -- most notably this includes The Association of Imperialism, Osiris and Lazarus. No doubt other regions will soon follow suit. One thing is for sure, however, this will haunt Shadoke's NationStates career forevermore, just as it did for 94 Block, who even today still is being banned from regions because of the forum destruction he committed in the past. This may very well mark the end of his career, but at the very least, Shadoke will no longer be anything but a marginal player if he does stick around.

A Good Old Fashioned Whodunit
Sedgistan Implicated in the Murder of Kandarin
COMMENTARY | UNIBOT

Voters in The Rejected Realms and abroad have found Sedgistan to be the most likely suspect in the mysterious murder of Kandarin. Sedgistan captured a decisive 36% of the vote over his competition, including frontrunner, Naivetry (27%) – proving that, when in doubt, regardless of the sheer size or magnitude of a crisis, The Rejected Realms sticks to its old, yet surprisingly reliable tradition: “Blame Sedge”.

The Office of Internal Affairs had decided to reopen the case last year, noting irregularities in the original police report – after reviewing old suspects and interrogating them, the cold case was subject to public opinion. After all, The Rejected Realms has no criminal court, besides the court of public opinion. The Office of Internal Affairs decided there were six notable suspects: Crazygirl, Unibot, Dalimbar, Naivetry, Darkesia and, of course, Sedgistan.

Even Agatha Christie, renowned murder mystery author, made a surprise appearance on the Fisher Flannigan Show, an embarrassingly cheesy RBC3 talk show programme (hosted by David Frost’s second cousin twice removed), to discuss her theories regarding the case and how and why she believed Kandarin was murdered. Christie admitted that although the case had initially “stumped” her, she eventually concluded that Kandarin’s murder was a part of a misguided plot to inherit The Rejected Realms from Kandarin’s death and pin his murder on Naivetry, which later developed into a full-fledged political conspiracy to silence witnesses and 'manage' the region's democratic process.

Sedgistan, upon indictment, appeared surprisingly elated with the vote’s results.

“Well it looks like TRR citizens made the right decision as to who was guilty for Kandarin's death,” writes Sedgistan, while being escorted from the premises by two rather cross-looking officers.

No word yet on whether Sedgistan believes he would have “gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for [those] meddling kids and that damn dog!”

NationStates Economic Model Overhauled
"Refactor" Previews Changes To Game Engine
COMMENTARY | GRUENBERG

The NationStates economic system is to undergo changes to better reflect the long term consequences of issue choices. Game admin [violet] announced the overhaul - dubbed "refactor" - and has created a page where the effect of the change to the system on individual nations can be reviewed.

Refactor is an attempt to address problems with how NationStates respond to divergent issue choices over time. The economic model used by NationStates reflects the original belief that nations would not last long, and was not created with a view towards nations answering issues for years and reaching populations in the the tens of billions. For example, nations facing repeat issues may cut spending from departments that they have already abolished, or strongly support specific industries while otherwise restricting industry in general.

The balance of the game engine was previously skewed by the presence of impossible negative values. A nation that continually chose to cut Welfare spending might end up with negative levels of government expenditure on Welfare. This negative value could then eat into positive values from other, favoured, areas of spending, allowing nations to amass vast Defence budgets without ever seeing their income taxes rise.

The changes appear to affect such factors as government size, public vs. private sector share of the economy, and income tax rate, and will be reflected in changes on the national description, government, and economy pages, and World Censuses for government and public sector size. Although many of these changes are cosmetic, the impact on government expenditure and tax rate will also have consequences for unofficial "calculators" used to work out more meaningful economic statistics.

While NationStates has never been intended to be a completely realistic simulation, the hope will be that the refactor will force players to confront difficult choices: no doubt many real world politicians wish they could pay for government expenditure by cutting non-existent departments rather than having to increase taxes.

World Assembly “Warms Up” to Nuclear Arms Reform
Nuclear Arms Protocol Passes 7,805 votes to 2,897
COMMENTARY | UNIBOT

"Hiroshima No More."

During my time in the General Assembly as a young, budding and (often) misguided author, there were a few unwritten rules that every author knew: (1) avoid religion, (2) don’t mess with guns, (3) don’t touch pot, (4) don’t discuss climate change, (5) committees are bad, not sure why, and, (6) a proposal regulating nuclear technology will never pass – i.e., “we like our nukes”. Every author, however, also knows that the rules are meant to be broken (or at the very least, cleverly overcome) and no more so than Chester Pearson, who has tirelessly pursued the topic of nuclear weapons in the World Assembly.

Things were, by no means, looking positive for the intrepid author and his cause. The General Assembly has rejected several attempts to repeal the “Nuclear Arms Possession Act”, in addition to Sionis Prioratus’ “Defense from External Menaces”, plus numerous attempts to discuss the subject of nuclear proliferation, including Sciongrad’s “Responsible Armaments Trading” and several proposals from Chester Pearson himself, including “Nuclear Proliferation Accords”, “Strategic Arms Reduction” and previously this year, “Nuclear Arms Protocol” – all of which were widely defeated with maximum prejudice. The original “Nuclear Arms Protocol”, for example, was defeated 6,161 votes to 3,473.

However, during the past year, the General Assembly appears to have turned a slightly different corner on the subject, with resolutions passing with regards to international regulation of nuclear technology although nothing concerned, in particular, with conventional nuclear weapon delivery. Chester Pearson’s “Nuclear Security Convention” passed on the subject of nuclear energy and Sciongrad’s “Radiological Terrorism” took a tough stance against the possession and proliferation of radiological weapons (due to the threat of terrorism). Radiological weapons and nuclear weapons differ in only one respect: a radiological weapon produces radiation without a nuclear device; the resolution itself was quick to disclaimer that nothing in the resolution should be “be construed as placing any limitations on the possession, development, or use of nuclear weapons.”

Despite this conventional reluctance on the part of the World Assembly to pursue regulation with regards to nuclear weapons, Chester Pearson’s work appears to have paid off with the surprising passage of “Nuclear Arms Protocol” (Mk. II).

The Rejected Times managed to sneak in an interview with Chester shortly after the passage of the “Nuclear Arm Protocol” who admitted he was “shocked” by its passage. He was very grateful for the support he received from other member-nations.

“I sincerely did not expect this to pass on this go,” he says, “To see its success has filled me with a great sense of pride, and encouragement that the World Assembly is not just a club of warmongers, and that they are willing to accept restrictions on how they engage in international conflict. When I passed the Nuclear Security Convention, it became clear to me that the attitude of the WA was changing. Member nations were willing to take the stance that nuclear weapons technology should be protected. What I did not expect is that they would be willing to place restrictions on how those weapons were used.”

The proposal itself is a rather modest affair (perhaps accounting for its passage altogether), although it most certainly will encourage anti-nuclear and peace activists within the World Assembly to pursue even greater reform and regulation. The “Nuclear Arms Protocol” requires that member-nations limit their use of nuclear weapons to target military personnel only and thus, adequately assess deployments to ensure that the delivery of nuclear weapons will not endanger civilians unnecessarily.

“This resolution simply denies member nations the right to indiscriminately target civilians. Nothing more, nothing less,” explains Chester. “Critics argue that this will open the door to more sustained nuclear conflicts, and that nations will now be more willing to use their nuclear weapons. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Deterrence theory, and mutually assured destruction are still maintained even while this resolution is in force, stronger even. The fact that nations can now no longer target civilians, makes them have to choose their targets more carefully, and nations can finally move towards decommissioning high yield warheads, as they will no longer be needed.”

So, what’s next for Chester Pearson, you might ask? It appears as though he’s far from done yet.

“Now that we have solid legislation covering all facets of weapons of mass destruction, we can focus on more thoroughly enforcing those regulations,” says Chester. “To that end, I have had a war crimes tribunal on the back burner. Ever since the repeal of the International Criminal Court, the prosecution of war criminals has become increasingly difficult. We seek to end that with comprehensive legislation ensuring that nations who commit atrocities will be held accountable for those actions. I also have peacekeeping legislation that I am working on, and expect that to be a major point of contention.”

A replacement for the International Criminal Court stands as a very ambitious goal, but in the meantime, Chester Pearson can celebrate the success of his “Nuclear Arms Protocol”— introduced as legislation on January 03, 2015, 7,805 votes to 2,897.

Pivotal “Voting Rights Act” Passes in TNP
COMMENTARY | UNIBOT

"New legislation reshapes The North Pacific's citizenship policies..."

A critical part of r3naissanc3r’s legislative agenda has passed in The North Pacific – becoming a law on December 26, 2014 with the delegate’s signature. As per constitutional practice, the delegate can either elect to approve or veto legislation (otherwise the legislation would have automatically have come into effect on January 02, 2014). Naturally, since it was r3naissanc3r who proposed the law, he chose to approve the legislation in short order.

“I consider this by far the most important bill I have written here in TNP,” writes r3naissnc3r. “Considering that, ever since I joined the RA, I have been the region's most prolific legislator, introducing a wide range of innovations and far-reaching reforms, this should be telling. I also consider this bill a very important aspect of the campaign on which I ran for delegate, both times, which was a campaign that emphasized expansion of our community and integration of new members.”

Previously in The North Pacific, membership in the Regional Assembly was an additional extension of residency – this is to say that residents, “person(s) with an account on the regional forum and a nation in The North Pacific” could join the Regional Assembly which would grant them voting rights as both members of the electorate and the legislature. There were “citizens” too, but this was an administrative practice that had been ill-defined in law – residents could request a citizenship masking. This system proved particularly problematic because members, some of whom were not necessarily as interested in the ongoing activities of the Regional Assembly, would be disenfranchised during elections because they had failed to meet the strict activity restrictions imposed on legislators – despite being active, contributing members in The North Pacific elsewhere (as soldiers and roleplayers, for example).

The new system, which the “Voting Rights Act” has created, eliminates the need for residents to join the Regional Assembly since the Regional Assembly now automatically includes all citizens. Citizens will not be expected to meet the Regional Assembly’s standards of legislative activity, although the new quorum rate will distinguish active legislators and those who have missed three consecutive votes, or otherwise voted in the past twenty days.

The Voting Rights Act was passed 28-8 in the Regional Assembly on December 26, 2014, with thirteen abstentions – meeting the two-thirds majority required.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:59 pm

Unibot III wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:My account on the TRR forums has not been used in about a decade (2005). I have nothing to do with this!

You thought we'd fall for that? ;)

Yes
The Blaatschapen should resign

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:01 pm

You make it seem the loss of the AoI forum was a crushing blow to the morale of the citizens. Which it was not, they were in the process of shifting forums anyway and, to my knowledge, nothing of importance was stored there.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

The Church of Satan
Minister

Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Church of Satan » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:16 pm

That wasn't really the point of the article...
The Rejected Realms: Former Delegate | Former Vice Delegate | Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History - 824 Days
Free the WA gnomes!

Chanku: This isn't an election it's an assault on the eyes. | Ikania: Hear! The Gospel of... Satan. Erh...
Yuno: Not gonna yell, but CoS is one of the best delegates ever | Ever-Wandering Souls: In the liberal justice system, raiding-based offenses are considered especially heinous. In The South Pacific, the dedicated defenders who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Council on Regional Security. These are their proscriptions. DUN DUN.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay