NATION

PASSWORD

The Rejected Times

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Blood Wine
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Blood Wine » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:06 am

I doubt we'll see much big from DXIV,although he will be present a decent lot I doubt he'll produce much to match or supersede "liberate panem"
Formerly known as Port Blood
Elke and Elba wrote:Well Mall, you want Haven? I'd want your Joint Systems Alliance badge, then.
Discoveria wrote:Port blood is a raider through and through. Honest.
Tim-Opolis wrote:The Salt Mines will be fueled for months by the tears of silly fascists.
Sedgistan wrote:Attempted threadjack on sandwiches and satanism removed.
[4:27 PM] Antigone: Port Blood = Gameplay Jesus
Former foreign Minister of gay
Current community leader in charge of foreign affairs of gay
ex corporal in The Black Hawks

Intelligent Holograms
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Intelligent Holograms » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:21 am

Blood Wine wrote:I doubt we'll see much big from DXIV,although he will be present a decent lot I doubt he'll produce much to match or supersede "liberate panem"

There's that enthusiasm and nurturing of new players that The Bruce spoke about in his interview.

Blood Wine
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Blood Wine » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:15 pm

Intelligent Holograms wrote:
Blood Wine wrote:I doubt we'll see much big from DXIV,although he will be present a decent lot I doubt he'll produce much to match or supersede "liberate panem"

There's that enthusiasm and nurturing of new players that The Bruce spoke about in his interview.

I'm actually being realistic here and simply commenting on the "rising star" part of the article - I consider this moment the height of him for a while and don't expect much more for the time being

Then again,I'm hoping he will see this as a challenge and prove me wrong
Elke and Elba wrote:Well Mall, you want Haven? I'd want your Joint Systems Alliance badge, then.
Tim-Opolis wrote:The Salt Mines will be fueled for months by the tears of silly fascists.

Blood Wine
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Blood Wine » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:19 pm

Also,what constitutes an achievement on NS? CoF is getting a lot of attention recently but not alot of it positive

Shizensky
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 29, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Shizensky » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:47 pm

I think we all set our own standards for what constitutes an achievement. When I came back I set out to rebuild my region. I succeeded in that, and surpassed it. I'd say that is a personal achievement at least. How many others care? Probably not many, but why should I expect anybody to care?

For the most part, those of us who dive into the deeper realms of GP probably have some sort of goal in mind. That goal probably changes, but at least there is a goal. As my region has grown and stabilized, new goals come up. At what point have I actually a achieved something? I guess that depends on when I feel satisfied with the work I've done. But if you are going to leave it up to GP at large to make that decision, you'll find yourself left disappointed in most cases.
"Look, that's why there's rules, understand?
So that you think before you break 'em."
My favorite thing about UDP jokes
is I don't care if you get them or not.

Intelligent Holograms
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Intelligent Holograms » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:03 pm

Blood Wine wrote:
Intelligent Holograms wrote:

I'm actually being realistic here and simply commenting on the "rising star" part of the article - I consider this moment the height of him for a while and don't expect much more for the time being

Then again,I'm hoping he will see this as a challenge and prove me wrong

I am well aware of what you are doing, it is simply a shame that merely three posts after an interview containing a segment about older players being overly critical about the ambitions of newer players, an older player criticises a younger player and writes-off any success in said player's immediate future. You have very nearly proven the point of that segment of the interview.

Reiterating Shizensky's point on the achievements we reward ourselves, District XIV is in no way indebted to you in answering any challenges you set. Nobody joins NS with the intention of living up to the expectations of the other people who play, we join so that we can try something different and have some fun along the way - it is absurd to think that any NS player should be doing anything else other than play their own game, be that region building, R/D or anything else.

Darkesia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Darkesia » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:30 pm

IH might just have become my favorite nation.
Blackbird wrote:Francoism is to fascism as Marxism is to peanut butter.
Greater Moldavi wrote:If I didn't say things like that then I wouldn't be...well me.
Katganistan wrote:I imagine it's the rabid crotch-seeking ninja attack weasels. Very hard to train, so you don't see them in use in many places.

Ananke II
Envoy

Founded: Mar 15, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ananke II » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:18 am

Gameplay has a tendency to favour drama and name recognition. Seems to me though that all the people who quietly work to build up new communities or better their own region are at least as commendable as anyone who post in Gameplay. Often few people outside their own region recognise them, but they help create the bedrock of stability that most regions need in between the drama and excitement. ;)

Blood Wine
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Blood Wine » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:47 am

Intelligent Holograms wrote:I am well aware of what you are doing, it is simply a shame that merely three posts after an interview containing a segment about older players being overly critical about the ambitions of newer players, an older player criticises a younger player and writes-off any success in said player's immediate future. You have very nearly proven the point of that segment of the interview.

Reiterating Shizensky's point on the achievements we reward ourselves, District XIV is in no way indebted to you in answering any challenges you set. Nobody joins NS with the intention of living up to the expectations of the other people who play, we join so that we can try something different and have some fun along the way - it is absurd to think that any NS player should be doing anything else other than play their own game, be that region building, R/D or anything else.

I have this a lot,what i actually mean differs from what i write
I'm by no means an older player,sure I've been around since 2007 (i think) but with a long break inbetween btw

See it like a graph,DVIX fame being the line,it started out steady/rising for some while,liberate Panem cause the line to spike upwards and now it's pretty steady again,it's like a MMORPG level system,he gotten pretty high with levels,now the rest are more important but harder/take longer to get

With "see this as a challenge" I meant something among the lines of "fuels the fires to better himself"

Intelligent Holograms
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Intelligent Holograms » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:49 am

Darkesia wrote:IH might just have become my favorite nation.

*Bows to the Lady Dark*

Blood Wine wrote:See it like a graph,DVIX fame being the line,it started out steady/rising for some while,liberate Panem cause the line to spike upwards and now it's pretty steady again,it's like a MMORPG level system,he gotten pretty high with levels,now the rest are more important but harder/take longer to get

With "see this as a challenge" I meant something among the lines of "fuels the fires to better himself"

You've missed my point entirely.

XIV does not and, indeed, should not need to match himself to your expectation. XIV is continuing on as he wants to play NS; it is true that the game is built around the player rather than the inverse, by this I mean the player chooses what they want to do on NS and then they find ways to make it happen, be that building forums, running/performing in RPs, debating etc. - NS is what it is because of the players rather than because of the tools offered by the game. The preceding rings true for all aspects of the game, XIV is not playing the same game or for the same goals as anyone else in NS, therefore it is impossible and foolish for anyone (yourself, for example Blood Wine) to tell them to 'better themselves' because you have no idea what goals XIV is playing by, the pinnacle of NS for you is likely to be completely different to the pinnacle of NS for him.

The fame graph you have drawn is largely irrelevant other than for telling what type of player you yourself are, Blood Wine.

Blood Wine
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Blood Wine » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:28 pm

I'm just not saying this right......

Judging from our posts back and forth,I think we're miscommunicating a lot,so lets just leave it at that

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:18 pm

The only one misunderstanding is you blood. IH could not possibly be any clearer in what he is saying.

PhDre
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 17, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby PhDre » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:46 pm

Seriously, I don't think you understand what IH is saying but what you are saying is perfectly clear and pretty condescending.
Former President of Europeia

Blood Wine
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Blood Wine » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:48 pm

Condescending? how so?

I'm hoping to see more from DVIX - I'm just saying I expected him to go into hibernation for a while before returning big,his efforts are on Panem atm,so he'll spending a lot of his energy there

District XIV
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:24 am

Blood Wine wrote:he'll spending a lot of his energy there

Indeed >_>

Blood Wine
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Blood Wine » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:27 am

District XIV wrote:
Blood Wine wrote:he'll spending a lot of his energy there

Indeed >_>

I was planning to send a TG about this,I meant no disrespect towards you - sorry if it came across like that

District XIV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:44 am

Blood Wine wrote:
District XIV wrote:Indeed >_>

I was planning to send a TG about this,I meant no disrespect towards you - sorry if it came across like that

Nah, you're good.
Last edited by District XIV on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Rejected Times
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 07, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby The Rejected Times » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:01 pm

"Back to School" for NS Universities?
FEATURE | KINZVLLE

Are NationStates Universities a "dying breed"? Kinzville considers possible causes of their decline...

Earlier this year I became the dean of Equilism University. When I first arrived in Equilism, I was engulfed in the sheer wonderment of the university. The dean at the time had worked tremendously hard before classes ended and the whole institution grinned to a halt. The same phenomenon repeated itself again when all of the teachers, besides my Assistant Dean, failed to accomplish anything with their courses. Granted, this is partly because I started right before the dreaded "summer hole". However, I reckon this is not the only factor playing a role in the decline in the University,

1. Real life: This is all a game. Real life comes first, surely, in all matters. Sadly when it comes to something like teaching a course, this can take time that many simply do not possess. Between typing documents, researching, editing, and teaching a class is no "lunch break" feat. Make no mistake: I am in no way blaming professors, just merely identifying real life as a key factor.

2. Losing interest: At one time or another, we are all guilty of doing this . In fact, the more you do something the less dopamine intake you get from that activity (brain fact). While losing interest halfway is by no means not a sin, it is a problem for the University. While a student losing interest is normally not a huge issue, a teacher is a whole new can of worms. Especially, if you are using the "class system" which Equilism uses, where any truancy by professors leaves a class stranded with no teacher.

3. Focus on the wrong subjects: Courses on World War II or the culture of Finland are amazing and fascinating, but they should not be the focus of a NS University. The last term the university was active, all of the courses were Non NS based (with the exception of Role Playing 101). We have to remember this is NationStates, the school ought to train new (and veteran) members in the fields of fancy and interest in regards to the actual gameplay sphere.

4. Necessity: As dean, I did attempt to get classes restarted but there was one snag... they weren't seen as necessary, and really are they? Most military training is done internally for good reason, same with Foreign Affairs and Diplomacy. With countless guides available on a range of subjects, I had to wonder if these classes really were needed...

We at the Equilism University are considering new arrangements, while those at the Europeia University are already transitioning from ongoing classes to pre-made courses with detailed guides. With this method, all the materials and information are provided, but can be worked on at a student's own pace and, since it is all to be presented as a finished project rather than post-by-post, a teacher's departure does not affect the overall system as much.

Of course, as with every system, there are flaws. First, it takes quite a long time to, not only get a class prepared and refined, but for an entire class to be completed. With this preparation time, I have to wonder whether this process is any slower or faster than that of open classes? It varies but the benefits outweigh this, I believe. The biggest issue with guide-led classes, however, is that just reading a guide isn't always what is needed to learn! Hands-on, practical learning can be extremely critical. The East Pacific may have found a compromise, however, between Europeia and Equilism's education systems: a system based on guides, in addition to a number of Q&A sessions, and supervised practices.

Regardless, there is still one more factor that help determines a university's survival. Are they relevant? As I stated earlier: with the way most subjects are taught there may not seem a pressing need for more training for these areas. Without that need what purpose does a university fill? This answer varies from region to region, topic to topic. Some fields like speech and debate fair better in a classroom than say immigration. Some regions would rather outsource training of ambassadors and such to public-run universities, while others still would view that as unsafe and prefer to keep it in house.

Rounding back to the topic, are NS Universities a dying breed? Regardless of the ideal system, the pulse rate of an academic institution is tied to its relevance. Not just in terms of actual relevance, but also in term of the public's perception of their relevance. If players see a value in keeping these institutions afloat, investing their time in there and maybe even attending classes, then mark my words: there will life. Sadly most universities nowadays have not found that enthusiasm and their "pulse lines" slowly but surely flat-line. As with past universities, many do hold great potential, but they may never live to realize it. There are some regions where universities may still grow and prosper, but for the most part, "the university" as a institution has outlived its relevance.

Blood Wine
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Blood Wine » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:06 am

I would actually take a class in RPing,but things often get into the way for me

Unibot III
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Unibot III » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:15 pm

Blood Wine wrote:I would actually take a class in RPing,but things often get into the way for me

Common sentiments with University Classes in NS - hence the article!
[violet] wrote:I mean this in the best possible way,
but Unibot is not a typical NS player.
Milograd wrote:You're a caring, resolute lunatic
with the best of intentions.
Org. Join Date: 25-05-2008 | Former Delegate of TRR

Factbook // Collected works // Gameplay Alignment Test //
9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Headlines from Unibot // WASC HQ: A Guide

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
✯ Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Joe Bobs
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 21, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Joe Bobs » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:39 pm

Ananke II wrote:Gameplay has a tendency to favour drama and name recognition. Seems to me though that all the people who quietly work to build up new communities or better their own region are at least as commendable as anyone who post in Gameplay. Often few people outside their own region recognise them, but they help create the bedrock of stability that most regions need in between the drama and excitement. ;)

Couldn't agree more Ananke! The region builders are the real heroes of this game, and as you say many may not be known outside their regions.

To all: If there is anyone out there you feel should be in the next Rising Stars issue, please telegram me! Also, if there's anyone from the class of 2002/3 you would like to see interviewed, let me know! I think I know who the players from that era who still play are, but there may be some of which I'm not aware.
Old Zertaxia: You crazy, drunk penguin.

GRA: Forum Administrator and Architect of the GRA Archives. Formerly: President; Speaker; First Minister; High General of the GRADF; Foreign Affairs Minister; Senator; Congressman; Ambassador Plenipotentiary; First Lieutenant of the GRADF.

FRA: Formerly: Arch-Chancellor; Vice Chancellor; Regional Liaison Officer; GRA Representative; Ranger.

Q102: Formerly: Delegate; Deputy Delegate; Foreign Affairs Minister; Immigration & Officials Minister; Judge; Ambassador.

ARC: Formerly: Founder; Chairman.

Other Former Citizen of The Rejected Realms, The West Pacific, 00000 A World Power, Lazarus, Europa, Scroll Islands. Former Correspondent for The Rejected Times. Regular visitor everywhere.

District XIV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:38 pm

I thought this next part would've attracted some controversy :P
The Rejected Realms Media Corporation wrote:JB: As a Gameplayer who is interested in RP, what are your views on the recent Liberate Haven / Ixnay / etc controversy? Should RPers be able to opt out of being raided?

DXIV: Mall was acting independently in the World Assembly, as any player has the right to do. The whole "Mallorea and Riva should resign" was a hilariously immature reaction to situation, for two reasons:

1. We all know "Liberate Haven" wasn't going to pass, much less go to vote.
2. As I stated before, Mall has the full right to act independently as any player, moderator or not, may do.

Although, I do think roleplaying regions should have an easy "opt out of R/D" ability; similar to the "Intergovernmental Organizations" feature Esternial suggested.

The Rejected Times
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 07, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby The Rejected Times » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:56 am

War between Osiris and Lazarus Motioned
Osiran Pharaoh motions to declare war on Lazarus
COMMENTARY | TRR STAFF

Osiran Legislature Convenes to Discuss an Osiran-Lazarene War

PALACE OF DESHRET, THEBES – The Pharaoh of Osiris, Cormac Somerset, has proposed a motion to the Osiran legislature, The Deshret, which would declare war on Lazarus, a fellow sinker.

The War Declaration notes that Lazarus’s harbouring of Karpathos and former members of The Empire, Dalimbar and New Kervoskia, stands against Osiris, especially given an off-the-cuff remark from Karpathos (“Go endotart man, I'm starting to get ideas”). While accusing Lazarene officials of anti-imperialism and hostility towards other Game-Created Regions, the Declaration also condemns Lazarus’s “[doubling down] on tyranny by adopting an authoritarian communist regime”. The full statement can be read here.

Chairman Funkadelia’s election and rise to power has already sparked a severance of relations between Lazarus and Osiris, earlier this year, when Osiris found the new Chairman to be an anti-imperialist. But this more extensive declaration may prove to escalate the conflict greatly.

Concerns have surfaced that the spectre of hostility and fear which comes with any large-scale war may overshadow Lazarus’s hosting of the 2014 Regional Sovereignty Conference, as well as the recent passage of the “Treaty of Friendship and Cooperation between The South Pacific and Lazarus”.

Lazarene officials have told The Rejected Times that they would not comment until after a statement from the PRL is published. The Osiran Pharaoh was unavailable for comment at the time of writing.

The motion is currently passing in The Deshret, 8-4. Voting ends late August 28th, 2014.
Last edited by The Rejected Realms Media Corporation on Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Waldeck-Pyrmont
Attaché

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Democratic Socialists

Postby Waldeck-Pyrmont » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:59 am

Fools.
Ancient Fool (but not too Ancient).

Alterran Republic
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Alterran Republic » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Bloodshed!
Like this will accomplish anything e.e
Vidarr Braighart Kasten
Alterra - Vidarr - Delta - Sherlock
NS History || Logbook of Quotes
<+IH> There needs to be some constant to life that we can hold onto, something extremely difficult to find if we are constantly on the move.
<@Vidarr> I hold onto the constant of change
<+IH> How delightfully paradoxical.

Old enough to remember, young enough to not care. -Holofurnace, Iron Snakes Chapter

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay