NATION

PASSWORD

THE DEBATABLE LANDS (OOC/Sign-Ups) [Closed]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:08 pm

My post is mostly written, but I'm tired right now, so I'll finish and post it in the morning.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM Translation Service Thread
A Proud Portal Nationalist
The P2TM Depot – for all your RPing needs

Cosplaying as a Posadist | LOVEWHOYOUARE~ | Kinky Syndicalist

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:21 pm

APPLICATION

Name: ‘Fleetfoot’ (often spoken with connotations of him running away quickly from a FIGHT) Marcas Elliot

Appearance: Marcas isn’t all that tall…or muscled…or pretty. But he’s got a great person--…Uhh No nevermind…Hmm…let me start over.
Marcas stands a bit under 170 centimeters tall (a bit under 5 foot 6 inches), and is only 120 pounds, making him shorter than most and much lighter. While other Elliots muscles strain in the sleeves of their armor like thick branches on a tree, Marcas’ inevitably remind one of a somewhat sickly tree that isn’t fully grown yet. Unlike this metaphorical tree, however, Marcas is fully grown. Mister Middle Ages, he is not.

Body aside, Marcas seems to be aging beyond his years, perhaps as a result from all the outdooring. His face has already begun to wrinkle, and bags under his eyes were a phenomenon years ago. White already streaks his hair and, were he to allow it to grow instead of keeping it as under control as he can, his beard would have more salt in it than pepper.

Powergrid Attributes: INT:1 STR: 1 DUR: 3 SPD: 3 FS: 2
Though useful with an axe or spear at close-quarters combat, most of Marcas’ skill lies in usage of the bow, both because of its added practicality compared to close-in fighting skills (one can scarcely hunt with a sword or axe) and because it allows him to stay away from the pointy bits of an enemy’s weapon.

Marcas prefers to avoid the pointy bits of an enemy's weapon. Especially when his pointy bits can reach them.

Armor, Weapons, and Possessions: Devoid of armor for the simple, though perhaps stupid, reason that he doesn’t like wearing it and it makes him feel too heavy (not to mention it giving him something to brag about and lord over the OTHER Elliots), Marcas instead relies on very simple and reliable linen underclothes and wool tartan. Clothes suited to camping and hunting in, providing protection from the cold and nature, but little else.

Marcas eschewed much of the insight-taking and the like when he went on raids, and thus possesses quite few worldly possessions. Those he does own are incredibly practical in their application. A short axe and a significantly longer spear serve dual purpose for him as both his last-resort raiding weapons as well as tools for much more utilitarian tasks, like the previously mentioned hunting he takes part in. Beyond these, he possesses a simple long bow and a batch of arrows for using with it.

He much prefers the bow.

Personality: Braggadocios and insufferably arrogant to some of the Elliots in his earlier youth, Marcas is still possessed of an extreme self-confidence that borders on dangerous. He is quick to admit he may not be the smartest of men, but would just as quickly add that smart men aren’t what the world needs at the moment but hard men. And Marcas is hard. He was always possessed of a bit of an ‘off’ personality, killing wise. Far too comfortable with killing a man from afar or behind in order to gain an advantage. A good strategy yes, but Marcas had that insufferable quality of seeming to enjoy such cold-blooded acts a bit too much and relying on them even when other courses of action might be open that are just as effective.

Perhaps it is the cowardice. Few might be brave, or foolish, enough to mention it to his face, but Marcas is somewhat of a coward. Not wholly of course. Such men are disnamed or killed far too quickly for their actions. Marcas is instead possessing of that maddeningly middle-of-the-road cowardice that manifests as self and others-preservation being valued above all else. An overabundance of caution, if one were to be diplomatic on the topic. A frustrating tendency that assures him to be a very loud and hard to confront when he offers a critique of any plan of action the family might come to. One can hardly call him a coward when his concern is in fact the survival of the family and he hasn’t ran from the battles he’s been in (or at least, not in anymore than is an allowable manner for an Elliot…). Which makes his criticism all that much more potent. Despite his aversion to conflict or risk, he does take part in it if others can convince him of the benefit and security of the idea.

Strangely mystical in one otherwise so practical, Marcas displays an extraordinarily odd interest in the Otherworld and spirits. Perhaps a result of a very outdoor upbringing. Whatever the case, Marcas’ incessant bragging and overconfidence will come to a swift and sudden end as soon as the Otherworld, the Second Sight, or fair folk of any kind are involved. Incredibly enough, it seems like his overly cautious nature may abandon him on such topics as well. Exposing cold realism and a fervent hope that malicious spirits will not dabble in the affairs of the Elliots.

Abilities and Talents: A lifelong hunter raised by a lifelong hunter, Marcas is an incredibly skilled master of bushcraft. Tracking, stalking, foraging, carving, firecraft, fishing, terrain-reading, all fall under his set of skills that have been put to use both in their typical applications but have found plenty of cross-topic usage in assisting raids.

Faster than almost any Elliot regularly, in the glens Marcas becomes a blur. Instead of slowing him, uneven ground and the obstacles of the Debateable Lands less tamed areas only seem to spur him on to greater speed. It is said (usually by Marcas, and usually only by Marcas) that he won in a day-long race between him and another Elliot on horseback across their holdings and back. Of course, who said Elliot is remains unclarified by Marcas because he does not wish to "shame the poor man". So he's probably lying.

Over time, Marcas has become a serviceably decent flute player. Not good, mind you. Decent.

Weaknesses and Fears: Not all that strong by Elliot standards, Marcas relies too much on his speed and skill in the wild to survive. In an inescapable brawl, especially one begun at short-range (such as an ambush), Marcas will be thoroughly unimpressive to behold. Which is, perhaps, another way of explaining his ‘overabundance of caution’/cowardice. Making something up on-the-fly is difficult for him to do, and he relies upon planning and near-surety of success to make up for that.

Marcas also possesses a rather bizarre aversion to horses. He doesn’t like them, and will oft tell any who might be listening that he knows they are scheming behind those beady black eyes of theirs. No one knows where this distrust comes from, nor has Marcas explained what reason he may have for thinking this, but his complaints about the horses ill-natured intent and general all-around bastardliness have become regular background affair to any family event by now. Whatever it is, Marcas can at least fight past his distaste for the things to ride them to a raid...usually. He may be incapable of the more skilled feats of horsemanship his kin are capable of, or even ANY feats of horsemanship for that matter, but thankfully his role tends to eschew the need for any such horsemanship. Merely riding them is enough…for now.

The Otherworld and fair folk should also be mentioned here. Though not quite a fear, per se, Marcas views them with a mixed fascination and dread. Bizarrely he wishes to know more about them, if only because it might lead to a way in which to suitably counteract their presence even as a man. Deriving from this, Marcas has a tendency to be compliant with women concerning such issues and defer to their judgment wholly and completely. A tendency the women, and men, of the Elliot clan have taken note of.

Likes (optional): The wilds, animals, hunting, the chase, surprise, Elliots, vengeance, nature spirits

Dislikes (optional): Swords, armor, close-quarters, walled enclosures, Walter Scott of Buccleuch, horses

Personal History:
Born into the life of reaving, Marcas had a greater desire for taking advantage of the land itself. More at home in the woods than a real home, he spent much of his youth traipsing about the Elliots holdings…and some others besides when he became too caught up in enjoying the land. For Marcas reaving, and before that combat training, was a mere required side activity to his much more enjoyed pastime.

For years, Marcas has been 'that crazy cousin/nephew/son/in-law/second-cousin-twice-removed' to many of the Elliot family. Eschewing the care of the herds for weeklong forays into the outdoors with the excuse of 'guarding the border'. What precisely one lone Elliot would do to guard the border is an obvious question that either wasn't asked or wasn't answered by Marcas. His modus operandi in previous years was to drop-in, unannounced, to the disparate members of the family and share any news or family trouble he had learned in a previous visit to another member. The joy of knowing how everyone was doing every now and then was enough, usually, to override many of the family's discomfort over his sudden arrivals or his less-than-normal way of going about life.

At least, until that damnfool Four-Fingers Tam and his brothers got caught. Marcas had never liked them. They were impulsive and brash and always poked holes in his, admittedly ‘slightly’ exaggerated, stories at family gatherings. But they were FAMILY. Family quite unjustly wronged. At that point, Marcas’ quiet forbearance of the reaving turned into a much more enthusiastic participation. An enthusiastic participation precipitated by a personal oath that Marcas would be a voice of restraint to the rest of the family, ensuring no more of them died in reckless or overconfident raids that might expose them to any more arrest…and ensure that Walter Scott, and the entire Scott clan, would get theirs as they well and truly deserved.
Last edited by Occupied Deutschland on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rupudska » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:39 am

Norv, accept this man.
The Holy Roman Empire of Karlsland (MT/FanT & FT/FanT)
THE Strike Witches NationState | Retired King of P2TM
Best thread ever.
MT Factbook/FT Factbook|Embassy|Q&A
On Karlsland Witch Doctrine:
Hladgos wrote:Scantly clad women, more like tanks
seem to be blowing up everyones banks
with airstrikes from girls with wings to their knees
which show a bit more than just their panties

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.
Presumably they use advanced technology like STRIKE WITCHES

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:01 am

Obviously, Marcas is accepted - with enthusiasm. Go post in the IC.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:54 am

APPLICATION

Name: "Saint/Saintly" Thomas Elliot

Appearance: Thomas Elliot is a very tall and very scrawny youth with long and bony limbs who makes a gangly appearance and perpetually seems to be at unease in his own body. His face is long and thin with sunken cheeks a small nose and mouth and intense brown eyes. His hair and beard is black; he keeps the former cut quite short and the later cleanly shaven away leaving barely a stubble.

Powergrid Attributes:
INT-4
STR-2
DUR-1
SPD-1
FS-2

Armor, Weapons, and Possessions: Thomas's most valued possession in the world is his bible, a handwritten Vulgate in latin, he has copied himself. Representing hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of work, his love of knowledge and books and his devout nature. Though generally contemptible of attachment to worldly possession Thomas treasures his bible. He also owns a bagpipe that allegedly was played by a monk fighting for Scotland at the battle of Pinkie Cleugh with the men of Earl Angus. Apart from the inheritance from his mother Thomas owns little else and treasures nought.

Personality: A morose sullen youth of a dour disposition Thomas makes a rather cold first impression on people. Quite lacking in social graces and unintendedly coming of as arrogant due to his learnedness and outwardly displaying a great devoutness is a reclusive figure who prefers spending time in the local church and in the wild untamed nature of the highlands to socializing with the members of his Name. Emotionally scared by the rejection he experienced at the hands of his mother he both shuns and craves the affection and love of others.

Abilities and Talents: Literate and learned Thomas is an exceptionally skilled autodidact theologician who has memorized the bible in latin and can quote scripture for every occasion. Inasmuch as he has had the chance to study other subjects Thomas has also acquired a knowledge of medicine and local history the later of which he has sought to write a book about. Though trained in it Thomas has shown limited skill at most manly arts praised by his Name yet he is not entirely hopeless with a claymore. While not particularly strong he has at times of great emotional duress exhibited fairly impressive physical strength. Though not musically talented in general Thomas is also known as an extraordinary bagpiper. Thomas is quite familiar with the lay of the Debatable lands and its immediate surroundings, his one redeemable skill as far as reining goes.

Weaknesses and Fears: Though he has tried his best, and continues to try, Thomas remains a rather poor reiver showing little skill at, and no interest in, reiving the borders. Clumsy with claymore and a musket alike and at best an adequate horseman Thomas has shown limited skill at most manly arts praised by his Name.

Likes (optional): Learning, the Highlands, Bagpipes, The Roman Catholic Church

Dislikes (optional): Rape, Sin, England, the English, Protestantism,

Personal History: During the Rough Wooing Thomas's mother was raped by an English soldier, taking it quite poorly. She gave birth to her son roughly concurrently with the Battle of Pinkie Cleugh and named him Thomas. Thomas did not have a happy childhood. His mother never forgave him the circumstances of his conception and showed her son little interest. The unwanted bastard of a bitter woman Thomas grew up lonely and unloved yet this did not deter him from displaying signs of great intellectual promise at an early age. Before his first year had ended Thomas had spoken many words and rudimentary sentences. Though his first word, one he would repeatedly return to, was "mommy" his mother was not impressed.

Yet as Thomas grow others where. Hearing of a bright young parishioner a village priest showed an interest in the youth and took him under his wings teaching him to read and write first in Scottish and later, as Thomas's burning passion for and exceptional soil at reading became clear, in latin. A tender soul, hit hard by the rejection of his mother, Thomas would often cry when he had to go home from church because he couldn't bring the bible with him. As a result the village priest began teaching Thomas to write by letting him copy his own version of the village bible.

A catholic the village priest would not see his protege's education or bible completed. As the protestant reformation swept the Borders Thomas was robbed of his mentor and father figure as he had to flee, leaving a bagpipe for his protege, and Thomas was once more left with a bitter and indifferent mother. Growing, coming to terms with the fact that he was for all intents and purposes motherless, Thomas became increasingly reclusive, spending as much time as at all possible reading and copying and learning in the church. When not in church Thomas practiced with his bagpipe in the highlands which he eagerly explored in search of God who he was unable to locate within the village church.

Though Thomas developed a love for the rugged wild nature of his home he never managed to find God in it either. As he grow older he found it increasingly difficult to reconcile the words of the bible which he knew intimately with a growing intellectual skepticism. This profoundly disturbed him as he had come to view God as both father figure and only friend in the world. Nondenominational at the time he sought help from the new protestant priest but found it useless.

WIP
Nation RP name
Arda i Eruhíni (short form)
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:07 am

Still working on that post. I finally got a good night's sleep.

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:30 am

Saintly Thomas works for me. Go ahead and post in the IC, and I will get our two new arrivals added to the Dramatis Personae and Character Relationships when I get the chance.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Vulkanas
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkanas » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am

I should have my new app done somewhat soon. So that I can be accurate, would it be more likely for a borderer to use a crossbow or just a standard bow and arrow?
( ^◡^)っ✂❤

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:59 am

Another Thomas?

There can only be one.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:17 am

Vulkanas wrote:I should have my new app done somewhat soon. So that I can be accurate, would it be more likely for a borderer to use a crossbow or just a standard bow and arrow?

The answer is in the OP. There is a paragraph on Reiver equipment.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:18 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Another Thomas?

There can only be one.

No, you're Thom.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:22 am

I'll wait for Astro, and either NEI or Evraim, to post. Then I will reply.

Also, Grey Wolf, the announcement hasn't exactly been made that the Elliots are riding against the Scotts - that was just Red Duncan talking to his brother. Of course, Robert might have overheard - and even if he didn't, it wouldn't be hard to figure out what Roger's reason for summoning all the Elliots must be.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Nude East Ireland
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nude East Ireland » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:26 am

Reverend Norv wrote:I'll wait for Astro, and either NEI or Evraim, to post.

I'm working on one right now.
Part One of the Incredible, Invincible Team Dai-Zarkeland!

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:28 am

Reverend Norv wrote:I'll wait for Astro, and either NEI or Evraim, to post. Then I will reply.

Also, Grey Wolf, the announcement hasn't exactly been made that the Elliots are riding against the Scotts - that was just Red Duncan talking to his brother. Of course, Robert might have overheard - and even if he didn't, it wouldn't be hard to figure out what Roger's reason for summoning all the Elliots must be.

Apologies, removed the last two paragraphs.

Also, I have the feeling that Willie is basically the Fredo Corleone of this family.

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:30 am

The Grey Wolf wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:I'll wait for Astro, and either NEI or Evraim, to post. Then I will reply.

Also, I have the feeling that Willie is basically the Fredo Corleone of this family.

I wasn't going to say anything, but yeah, that seems basically accurate.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:32 am

Reverend Norv wrote:
The Grey Wolf wrote:

I wasn't going to say anything, but yeah, that seems basically accurate.

"I'm smart! Not like everybody says! Like, dumb. I'm smart, and I want respect!"

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:38 am

Fleetfoot Marcas and Saintly Thomas are added to the Dramatis Personae. My God, we have a lot of PCs.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:43 am

Cylarn wrote:Killing, raping, and other acts had been allegedly perpetrated by Willie and his cohorts, and since that wasn't Job's style, the brother of Red Duncan was opposed to his cousin. However, that wasn't to say that he was always wanting to kill Willie. No, Job wouldn't kill him without a direct reason to do so.

This is the Border in a nutshell. "I don't like you, cousin, but I'm not going to kill you until you give me a reason to do so. So we're good."

Actually, Cy, given that Wolf cut the last few paragraphs of his post, I'm not sure that Job's reply makes a lot of sense. But that's atwixt the twa o ye.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Cylarn » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:44 am

Reverend Norv wrote:
Cylarn wrote:Killing, raping, and other acts had been allegedly perpetrated by Willie and his cohorts, and since that wasn't Job's style, the brother of Red Duncan was opposed to his cousin. However, that wasn't to say that he was always wanting to kill Willie. No, Job wouldn't kill him without a direct reason to do so.

This is the Border in a nutshell. "I don't like you, cousin, but I'm not going to kill you until you give me a reason to do so. So we're good."

Actually, Cy, given that Wolf cut the last few paragraphs of his post, I'm not sure that Job's reply makes a lot of sense. But that's atwixt the twa o ye.

Oh shit. I was working on that post prior to his edit. Allow me to correct it.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:46 am

Reverend Norv wrote:

I was thinking of reusing those last two paragraphs after the announcement is made (albeit probably edited.)

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Postby Cylarn » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:50 am

The Grey Wolf wrote:
Reverend Norv wrote:

I was thinking of reusing those last two paragraphs after the announcement is made (albeit probably edited.)

If you re-use the paragraphs, I'll re-use my response.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:52 am

Cylarn wrote:
The Grey Wolf wrote:

What was your response? Just curious.

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Postby Cylarn » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:55 am

The Grey Wolf wrote:
Cylarn wrote:

I don't have it word-for-word anymore, but Job basically expressed his displeasure at Willie's apparent desire to handle this with his gang instead of riding with his kin.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rupudska » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:12 am

I'll get a post up soon. As usual for my early posts, don't expect anything huge.
The Holy Roman Empire of Karlsland (MT/FanT & FT/FanT)
THE Strike Witches NationState | Retired King of P2TM
Best thread ever.
MT Factbook/FT Factbook|Embassy|Q&A
On Karlsland Witch Doctrine:
Hladgos wrote:Scantly clad women, more like tanks
seem to be blowing up everyones banks
with airstrikes from girls with wings to their knees
which show a bit more than just their panties

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.
Presumably they use advanced technology like STRIKE WITCHES

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:12 am

Cylarn wrote:
The Grey Wolf wrote:

I don't have it word-for-word anymore, but Job basically expressed his displeasure at Willie's apparent desire to handle this with his gang instead of riding with his kin.

Alright.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse