radioa century of excellence | 7 july 2014
les oiseaux out on narrow miss
goal after whistle sends saint james islanders home with a whimper
Andrew Ballymore: Welcome to Football Central on UCN Radio Sports. I'm Andrew Ballymore, here with my partner Jacques Sauveterre.Football Central on UCN Radio Sports - Programme Transcript
Jacques Sauveterre: Bonsoir. Hello.
Ballymore: Today we have a very special guest. With us is the unexpected star of the Saint James Islands at the Baptism of Fire and the team's leading goalscorer at six: one against Red Blackiland, Laiyenda, Lavertezzo, Casagrande and two against Melthing. The surprising leader of Les Oiseaux and the surprising Uniti Takatori, mister Mikaere Raia. Welcome back to the Islands, Mikaere! Welcome to Philibiscostal.
Mikaere Raia: Thanks for the welcome, Andrew. It is kind of good to be home. I'm especially looking forward to going back to Cantabria.
Sauveterre: (sarcastically) Sacrebleu.
Raia: No offence. I like Securu. I like Securu. It's just I have to go home to Tenaka at some point.
Sauveterre: You can't stay? Maybe make United Philibiscostal better?
Raia: (laughing) No. Sorry.
Ballymore: So, Les Oiseaux are struck out of the Baptism after an awful whimper, a one-nil loss to Lons in extra time. How did that feel Mikaere?
Raia: Bitter. I have to admit, it felt a little bitter. We were so close. So close and yet the whistle just took it away from us at the last second.
Sauveterre: We obviously have to talk about that. The goal that went in just seconds after the whistle blew, which would've been your seventh if it had counted.
Raia: I don't worry to much about those numbers. My goals are the team's goals. The team's goals are my goals. We share in that. What's most bitter about it for me is that it would've kept us in the competition, if only for one shoot-out.
Ballymore: So it has to be disappointing.
Raia: Yes. Obviously. I don't think there's another word to describe it. But when you try to get bitter and angry and throw away all of your accomplishments over one loss, it really devalues what competition means. Growing up in Tenaga, ʻe tou taane (my father) taught me that the true test of manhood is not in how you carry yourself in victory. The true test of manhood is how you carry yourself in defeat. The weak man bows his head in shame and turns his anger against himself. The true man holds his head high and uses his disappointment to improve himself and make himself better. He is gracious in defeat and I try to live up to that code my father taught me.
Ballymore: But if you had to blame one person for Les Oiseaux's loss, who would it be?
Raia: I can't do that. Our loss is a collective loss; our loss is on all of us. Assigning blame isn't what we should be doing right now.
Sauveterre: Now what do you do as a team going forward?
Raia: We've plenty of competition ahead. We've the World Cup qualifiers to prepare for and a regional competition that's in the works to look forward to, so we will be busy working towards those.
Sauveterre: And of course, what does the team take away from this experience? What can the team learn from this to make it farther in the next tournament?
Raia: We were highly experimental in the Baptism. We tried new things and new ideas and a new philosophy, an attacking philosophy. The philosophy worked. Not all of the ideas did. We pick up and try again.
Ballymore: I mean, how do you reflect on the competition, where many Saint James Islanders felt like their team had let them down? Do you think you could have tried any harder to move forward and keep going?
Raia: I think we could have changed a couple of things. Never underestimate your opponent and we underestimated Lons, so that was a huge mistake. But I don't think we could have done much differently. There wasn't much more we could have tried and I think we did really well for straying away from tried and true tactics. I don't think we can call this a disappointment at all.
Ballymore: Now do you go back to Uniti Takatori and try to prepare for the next Federation Cup and the next Lega season and try to recover some lost pride or?
Raia: What lost pride? We did well out there and while it feels terrible to be out, we still did a great job against some great teams, but there was a better one out there. Right now, Uniti Takatori can wait. The national team still calls and I think it's my duty as a Saint James Islander to help them out.
Sauveterre: Now one final question: are there any teams you're rooting for in the Round of 16?
Raia: The teams from our group for certain. Red Blackiland and Laiyenda are great teams that deserve to go far. And given our performance against them, teams that should have beaten us.
Ballymore: (surprised) Huh.
Raia: Well we were crap in those two games, to be honest. But if Cata Larga manages to defeat Laiyenda, I won't be too angry. To see a football team from a nation that isn't a football nation like us go far in the competition, it would do great things for the game. And you know what, I'll give Lons my backing. The underdog is always a favourite of mine.
Sauveterre: Well, on behalf of all Saint James Islanders, thank you for your hard work and your performance at the Baptism and on behalf of us, thank you for your time here today.
Raia: My pleasure. It's been great talking with you.
Ballymore: Mikaere Raia, everyone. When we come back, the Round of 16! Who will rise? Who will fall? Who will lift the trophy? We'll see you after the break.
END







Next up, the World Cup! Good luck guys! APG, go ahead and RP the game.