NATION

PASSWORD

The Somewhat-Official Warzone Thread

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Severisen
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 15, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Severisen » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:56 am

There are many examples of Warzone communities since their inception. Why someone would want to build a community there is another debate. The communities certainly exist; that's an undisputable fact. For the most part, *real* raiders ignore Warzones, traditionally left as GCR military fodder. So, I haven't had much experience with them.

I have, however, not heard them crying when they have been invaded, but rather have weathered it as a necessary evil of being in a founderless region. In many cases, much better than the natives of other regions that I have seen invaded. Perhaps it's the safety of knowing the region will still be around when the next update comes. Regardless, to deny their existance is silly.

When I (finally) return to raiding, I don't plan to pay any visits to the Warzones.
Last edited by Severisen on Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
<mcmasterdonia> Ex-TBH dudes get all the NS girls.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Yeah but no one here can read. Literacy is a tool used by fendas, like IRC or morals.

Sichuan Pepper wrote:Should I be worried that Mall said he wanted to invade my region?
Member of the Cult of the Overgoat.

Married to my best friends Xoriet and Astarial
Father to Ramaeus, Sylvia, Greyghost, Bachtendekuppen, Liliarchy, Jar, Cookie. (And Guy)
Former: Everything
Current: Nowhere man.
Past, Present, and Future: Nobody.

Tlik
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tlik » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:26 pm

Severisen wrote:There are many examples of Warzone communities since their inception. Why someone would want to build a community there is another debate. The communities certainly exist; that's an undisputable fact. For the most part, *real* raiders ignore Warzones, traditionally left as GCR military fodder. So, I haven't had much experience with them.

I have, however, not heard them crying when they have been invaded, but rather have weathered it as a necessary evil of being in a founderless region. In many cases, much better than the natives of other regions that I have seen invaded. Perhaps it's the safety of knowing the region will still be around when the next update comes. Regardless, to deny their existance is silly.

When I (finally) return to raiding, I don't plan to pay any visits to the Warzones.

And defender fodder! *glares at Mordor* :P

Severisen
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 15, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Severisen » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:42 pm

Tlik wrote:
Severisen wrote:-snip-

And defender fodder! *glares at Mordor* :P

For Shame! :p WHY CAN'T YOU PEOPLE LEAVE THE WARZONES ALONE?!??
<mcmasterdonia> Ex-TBH dudes get all the NS girls.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Yeah but no one here can read. Literacy is a tool used by fendas, like IRC or morals.

Sichuan Pepper wrote:Should I be worried that Mall said he wanted to invade my region?
Member of the Cult of the Overgoat.

Married to my best friends Xoriet and Astarial
Father to Ramaeus, Sylvia, Greyghost, Bachtendekuppen, Liliarchy, Jar, Cookie. (And Guy)
Former: Everything
Current: Nowhere man.
Past, Present, and Future: Nobody.

Ambroscus Koth
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ambroscus Koth » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:00 pm

Warzone Airspace was pretty irate at me when I emptied their region and suppressed the shit out of their RMB many many months ago, that was really fun. I said it then and I'll say it now, it's absolutely nonsensical to establish a community in a Warzone and expect to be left alone. However, it is entirely possible to do so and to deny it would be completely ridiculous. As far as I can tell, these days whatever "communities" have grown in the Warzones (not unlike mold on month old bread) have pretty much accepted their scenario and don't bitch whenever they're invaded. Not that I've been paying attention.
☀ Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris (x2) ☀
Lieutenant of The Black Hawks | Sovereign General of the DEN
♥ Drunk married to Aurum Rider | Author of SC#172

Miniluv: Stability is Stagnation!

Jeffersonborg
Attaché

Founded: Dec 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeffersonborg » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:07 pm

Ambroscus Koth wrote:Warzone Airspace was pretty irate at me when I emptied their region and suppressed the shit out of their RMB many many months ago, that was really fun. I said it then and I'll say it now, it's absolutely nonsensical to establish a community in a Warzone and expect to be left alone. However, it is entirely possible to do so and to deny it would be completely ridiculous. As far as I can tell, these days whatever "communities" have grown in the Warzones (not unlike mold on month old bread) have pretty much accepted their scenario and don't bitch whenever they're invaded. Not that I've been paying attention.

I've mellowed a lot.

Though you guys haven't seen Ancian yet. He tried to get 'invading warzones' as a reason to condemn FRA :P

Ancian
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 11, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ancian » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:23 pm

That was bout my 1 month. Wow, i made some stupid sounding arguments. :lol:
Last edited by Ancian on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Governor of WZEU.
Economic Left/Right: -1.38 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

North Campbell Nation
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby North Campbell Nation » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:25 pm

Masopotani wrote:Also: Hello there, Campbell. :p How's Asia doing lately?

I'm doing well. We've been keeping plenty busy. At present we're working on establishing some different political parties for the politburo that will be tied to more specific Asian cultures and ideologies (all within the limits of our People's Republic government model, of course). There's also talk of a Chinese Civil War era character RP on our regional forums. So it's a very exciting time.

To those wondering why people bother to try and establish a government or a community in a warzone, I think one of the main reasons, at least for me, can be best summarized by the well-known quote from legendary mountaineer George Mallory, who, when asked why one would bother attempting to climb Mt. Everest, not once, but three times, responded, quite simply: "Because it's there."
Warzones are attractive to some precisely because they are the exception to our normal mindset on communities and regions. They are fought over and recognized as unique and therefore they are desirable. It is a challenge that yields the benefits of an active community and acknowledgement from others as unique.
WA Proxy of The Campbell Nation
Delegate and Chairman, the People's Republic of Warzone Asia
Khronion: I gotta say, I don't envy our delegates. Hopefully they live in non-punishing time zones.
Khronion: Curiously enough, all quiet now means "3 attacks repelled from the same group at major."
Severisen: You literally couldn't have missed the point more, even if you endorsed the native delegate.
Until I say otherwise, assume what I am saying does not represent the official views of the People's Republic of Warzone Asia. I get into much less trouble that way.

Astarial
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 12, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Astarial » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:39 pm

North Campbell Nation wrote:To those wondering why people bother to try and establish a government or a community in a warzone, I think one of the main reasons, at least for me, can be best summarized by the well-known quote from legendary mountaineer George Mallory, who, when asked why one would bother attempting to climb Mt. Everest, not once, but three times, responded, quite simply: "Because it's there."
Warzones are attractive to some precisely because they are the exception to our normal mindset on communities and regions. They are fought over and recognized as unique and therefore they are desirable. It is a challenge that yields the benefits of an active community and acknowledgement from others as unique.

This is certainly my motivation for my involvement in Warzone Europe. There's something thrillingly subversive about taking a thing which was designed to be soulless and breathing genuine life into it. You're not just building a region and nurturing a community, you're doing it in a context where that isn't supposed to happen. And you're a little bit thumbing your nose at the admins responsible for their design.

There's a defiance you can see in Warzone communities. Sometimes it's masked, and sometimes it's open, but it's always there. "Yeah, I exist. What are you gonna do about it?" It's cool to be a part of it, and to see the movement grow. It definitely leads to a community with a unique makeup.
Ballotonia: Astarial already phrased an answer very well. Hence I'll just say: "Me too."1
Purriest Kitteh, 2012

Venico
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Venico » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:44 pm

Being literally indestructible helps with that =P
Priest of Raider Unity

Raider Unity, Maintain a Founder, Sign a Treaty

Malice Never Dies...

Port blood
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Port blood » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:46 am

Mekhet wrote:
Sorry Port, you're arguments are utter tosh. There has been communities, and while it is true they aren't or haven't been very long standing ones, they can still exist. You can make a community out of anything. So, you're utterly wrong.

"hey buddy,watch out for that landmine"
No,I don't speak for TBR,TBH,your mom,moderation or any other person/organization,just saying before anyone thinks that
Sedgistan wrote:Discussion of UDL shirts belongs in the UDL thread.

Kelvaros Prime wrote:*Introduces head to wall repeatedly*
People are learning,join the revolution!

http://pastebin.com/JG8S5Txd

Tlik
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tlik » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:14 am

Astarial wrote:
North Campbell Nation wrote:To those wondering why people bother to try and establish a government or a community in a warzone, I think one of the main reasons, at least for me, can be best summarized by the well-known quote from legendary mountaineer George Mallory, who, when asked why one would bother attempting to climb Mt. Everest, not once, but three times, responded, quite simply: "Because it's there."

This is certainly my motivation for my involvement in Warzone Europe. There's something thrillingly subversive about taking a thing which was designed to be soulless and breathing genuine life into it. You're not just building a region and nurturing a community, you're doing it in a context where that isn't supposed to happen. And you're a little bit thumbing your nose at the admins responsible for their design.

There's a defiance you can see in Warzone communities. Sometimes it's masked, and sometimes it's open, but it's always there. "Yeah, I exist. What are you gonna do about it?" It's cool to be a part of it, and to see the movement grow. It definitely leads to a community with a unique makeup.

Honestly, one of my favourite NS communities was a bloke I talked to regularly in WZE. We spent a month or two just discussing life on an RMB, and every other day one or the other (or usually both - damn you Mordor!) would be kicked out and sent to join the BBQ. You wait a day, the bans expire, and you can carry on where you left off.

The Sapientia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 04, 2013
Corporate Police State

Postby The Sapientia » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:26 am

I remember when I was with TEK, my first raid was an occupation against Warzone Airspace. But I had no idea what I was doing so I got a bunch of people to just bumble on in and endorse like 4 hours before the update. I was then banned. This process repeated for a few days before he gave up and I gained delegacy.
BoM Veteran Assassin | Former MoMA of the South Pacific | Former Chief Justice of the West Pacific | TNP Security Officer
Obvious Threat to Regional Security

Masopotani
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Masopotani » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:38 pm

North Campbell Nation wrote:I'm doing well. We've been keeping plenty busy. At present we're working on establishing some different political parties for the politburo that will be tied to more specific Asian cultures and ideologies (all within the limits of our People's Republic government model, of course). There's also talk of a Chinese Civil War era character RP on our regional forums. So it's a very exciting time.

Sounds like everything is doing well in your region. :) Glad to hear it.
Gameplay puppet of Xoriet<3~

North Campbell Nation
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby North Campbell Nation » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:38 pm

Masopotani wrote:Sounds like everything is doing well in your region. :) Glad to hear it.

I would say on the whole it's definitely been positive, yes.

Venico wrote:Being literally indestructible helps with that =P

It is a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, there is the assurance that raiders can only cause so much damage to the region; they cannot permanently obliterate the region or the community without setting up a colonial administration. The flip side of the coin is that Warzones cannot be purposely passworded or refounded and arise Phoenix-like from the ashes like many a UCR after a decline. Warzones and those who choose to become involved with them are stuck with their immortality whether for good or for ill.
Last edited by North Campbell Nation on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Khronion: I gotta say, I don't envy our delegates. Hopefully they live in non-punishing time zones.
Khronion: Curiously enough, all quiet now means "3 attacks repelled from the same group at major."
Severisen: You literally couldn't have missed the point more, even if you endorsed the native delegate.
Until I say otherwise, assume what I am saying does not represent the official views of the People's Republic of Warzone Asia. I get into much less trouble that way.

Kringalia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 03, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kringalia » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:05 pm

North Campbell Nation wrote:The flip side of the coin is that Warzones cannot be purposely passworded or refounded and arise Phoenix-like from the ashes like many a GCR after a decline.

GCRs can't be passworded or refounded. You mean UCRs. :)
Chief Justice of the South Pacific
Delegate of the South Pacific (Apr - Dec 2014)

Interviewed Max Barry | Tuesday Couper | Commended by WASC #422

Benevolent Thomas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benevolent Thomas » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:32 pm

I like the notion of controlled chaos which is what the Warzones provide in my mind. I've found myself daydreaming what it'd be like if I were a WA member in a WZ trying to establish some sort of community while at the same time embracing the notion that I could be occupied at the same time. Of course my romantic view of it includes my occupiers putting their own unique spin on the region and collaborating with the local community rather than just sitting there and gaining the influence to temporarily ban me whilst trolling me. Almost like getting invaded by the Skeleton Army, but actually having them take the delegacy as well. Or some Game of Thrones fanboys invading the region and we have the GoT theme take over the region while they are there. I'd need one hell of a creative community and forum staff to pull that off though :P Of course Sandbox would have to be my home.

Maybe its just some sick fascination of mine to see people actually opting into Gameplay rather than having it be thrust upon them unexpectedly when their founder dies.
Ballotonia wrote:Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong with a game if it willfully allows the destruction of longtime player communities in favor of kids whose sole purpose is to enjoy ruining the game for others.

North Campbell Nation
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby North Campbell Nation » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:00 am

Kringalia wrote:
North Campbell Nation wrote:The flip side of the coin is that Warzones cannot be purposely passworded or refounded and arise Phoenix-like from the ashes like many a GCR after a decline.

GCRs can't be passworded or refounded. You mean UCRs. :)

Derp. My sleep deprivation is showing.

Ismailiyah
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ismailiyah » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:28 am

Bit of a backlog to cover. I joined the warzones because I wanted a bit of a challenge, and I wanted to make my mark on a region. Joining a raiding region seemed too mundane, I would be just another raider obeying orders. Although I did try it. When I joined WZAI, it was literally the first days of the current government. Campbell had taken control and didn't really intend to stay long. Now we have a dedicated government, a military, active forums, powerful allies and even time to work on international Warzone unity. I'd say that sounds like a community. Being in a warzone is a fun challenge, and well worth the stress of invasion. Now invasions are a rare occurrence in WZAI and WZEU, not an everyday thing like they're meant to be. I can look back at the early days and say that we have created something special, something worth staying and fighting for. It makes me smile to see a small stubborn community like us clinging on to our home in defiance, defiance of the game makers, the raiders and anyone else. Don't like it? Well we don't really give a damn. And we wouldn't have it any other way. :)

From the defence and foreign relations minister of WZAI.

Errum
Lobbyist

Founded: May 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Errum » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:33 am

I've always thought it would be interesting to try and build a large scale community within a WZ. Good luck to you all.
--Lt. Tano Holland of the Eastern Pacific Sovereign Army--
Also known as Tadeo

An Intelligent Hologram
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby An Intelligent Hologram » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:24 pm

Tlik wrote:Honestly, one of my favourite NS communities was a bloke I talked to regularly in WZE. We spent a month or two just discussing life on an RMB, and every other day one or the other (or usually both - damn you Mordor!) would be kicked out and sent to join the BBQ. You wait a day, the bans expire, and you can carry on where you left off.

We haven't touched the Warzones in months, having a disembodied eye as a leader doesn't make us the root of all evil. :P

The Isles of Random
Envoy

Founded: Feb 06, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Isles of Random » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:18 pm

I got involved with the Warzones immediately after WZAI had been tag raided by TBR. It is a fun game getting banjected and returning a day later to reclaim the WFE. It's sort of like a nomadic community that hops back and forth between two spots.
- From the desk of the Minister of Foreign Relations and Regional Propaganda of the Central Atlantic Islands of the Pacific

Join the party at Warzone Vacation Resort!
I finally gave in and now I have a quotes spoiler. Yay!
We Are Not the NSA wrote:If the real world was like NS, then Belgium could have just password protected itself, or simply moved somewhere else, away from Germany.

The Isles of Random
Envoy

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Isles of Random » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:39 am

This day in history: Warzone Airspace is the featured region of the day.
- From the desk of the Minister of Foreign Relations and Regional Propaganda of the Central Atlantic Islands of the Pacific

We Are Not the NSA wrote:If the real world was like NS, then Belgium could have just password protected itself, or simply moved somewhere else, away from Germany.

Port blood
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Port blood » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:13 am

Cue raid
No,I don't speak for TBR,TBH,your mom,moderation or any other person/organization,just saying before anyone thinks that

The Isles of Random
Envoy

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Isles of Random » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:17 am

Port blood wrote:Cue raid
Raid the raided region!

Port blood
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Port blood » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:12 am

The Isles of Random wrote:
Port blood wrote:Cue raid
Raid the raided region!

I'm not sure what allies TNP have but it seems it was taken moments ago by a unkown group - don't see any markings i know

edit:
Ah,it seems like a puppet from TEK,the people everyone loves to hate
Last edited by Port blood on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay