NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Protecting Migratory Animals

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Mosktopia
Envoy

Founded: Oct 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Protecting Migratory Animals

Postby Mosktopia » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:05 pm

This proposal has been submitted! Regional Delegates, please APPROVE!!

Protecting Migratory Animals
Category: Environmental | Area of Effect: All Business

The General Assembly:

Aware that species diversity is an irreplaceable part of our natural world, and that nations are constantly deriving new medical, scientific, recreational, social and economic uses from our world's biodiversity;

Recognizing that all nations have a duty to protect and conserve the world's biodiversity for future generations;

Noting that conservation of migratory animals requires the concerted efforts of every nation with jurisdiction over any part of the animals' migratory path;

Resolved that nations can and should work together to conserve and protect migratory animal species;

Hereby enacts the following provisions:

1. Notes that, as used in this act, migration refers to the forseeable, seasonal movement of an animal from one area to another on a greater scale than its normal daily activities;

2. Directs each member nation to catalog the migratory animal species that:
  • inhabit the member nation's territory between periods of migration, or
  • pass through the member nation's territory during migration;
3. Mandates that, where a migratory animal species ranges or migrates across international borders, member nations must collaborate with other nations to preserve and protect the animal's habitat and migratory path;

4. Requires member nations to restrain individuals, businesses, and organizations within their jurisdiction from unreasonably degrading the integrity of migratory animal populations living in, or traveling through, the territory of any nation;

5. Urges member nations to exchange research data on migratory animal species with other nations;

6. Clarifies that, notwithstanding any other provision of this act, member nations may take reasonable actions to deter migratory animals from damaging or destroying property, or becoming pests. Furthermore, invasive migratory species are not covered by the protections of this act.

The General Assembly:

Aware that species diversity is an irreplaceable part of our natural world, and that nations are constantly deriving new medical, scientific, recreational, social and economic uses from our world's biodiversity;

Recognizing that all nations have a duty to protect and conserve the world's biodiversity;

Noting that conservation of migratory animals requires the concerted efforts of every nation with jurisdiction over any part of the animals' migratory path;

Resolved that nations can and should work together to conserve and protect migratory animal species;

1. Notes that, as used in this act, migration means "the forseeable, seasonal movement of an animal from one area to another on a greater scale than its normal daily activities;"

2. Directs member nations to catalog the migratory animal species that:
3. Requires member nations to collaborate with other nations to preserve the habitat and migratory path of animal species that inhabit or pass through their territory;

4. Further requires member nations to restrain individuals, businesses, and organizations from unreasonably degrading the integrity of migratory animal populations living in, or traveling through, the territory or jurisdiction of member nations;

5. Urges member nations to exchange research data on migratory animal species with other nations;

6. Clarifies that, notwithstanding any other provision of this act, member nations may take reasonable actions to deter migratory animals from damaging or destroying property, becoming pests, or invading non-native habitat.

The General Assembly:

Conscious that species diversity is an irreplaceable part of our natural world, and that nations are constantly deriving new medical, scientific, recreational, social and economic uses from our world's biodiversity;

Recognizing that all nations have a duty to protect and conserve the world's biodiversity;

1. Notes that, as used in this act, migration means "the predictable, seasonal movement of an animal from one area to another on a greater scale than its normal daily activities;"

2. Directs member nations to catalog the migratory animal species that:
3. Requires member nations to collaborate with other nations to preserve the habitat and migratory path of animal species that inhabit or pass through their territory;

4. Restrains individuals, businesses, and organizations from unreasonably degrading the integrity of migratory animal populations living in, or traveling through, the territory or jurisdiction of member nations;

5. Urges member nations to exchange of research data on migratory animal species with other nations;

6. Clarifies that no provision of this act shall prevent member nations from taking actions deemed necessary to protect their territory and environment from harmful invasive species.
Last edited by Mousebumples on Mon May 05, 2014 5:52 am, edited 21 times in total.

Lithonia wrote:Although I am sad to see this proposal doing so well, I admit that its current success is proof of the great diplomatic ability of the Cowardly Pacifists.

The Eternal Kawaii wrote:With all due respect to the ambassador from Cowardly Pacifists, this has to be one of the most pointless proposals ever brought before this assembly.

Normlpeople
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Normlpeople » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:20 pm

"I am sorry ambassador, but if I read this right, it would restrict economic development of what could potentially be prime real-estate simply because some migratory bird uses it as a stopover for a couple weeks a year? If that is the case, then there is no way we can support it."
Words and Opinion of Clover the Clever
Ambassador to the WA for the Armed Kingdom of Normlpeople

Mosktopia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Mosktopia » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:26 pm

Normlpeople wrote:"I am sorry ambassador, but if I read this right, it would restrict economic development of what could potentially be prime real-estate simply because some migratory bird uses it as a stopover for a couple weeks a year? If that is the case, then there is no way we can support it."

Well, that's clearly not the intention. Could you tell me what wording leads you to that conclusion and perhaps we can work out a compromise.

Lithonia wrote:Although I am sad to see this proposal doing so well, I admit that its current success is proof of the great diplomatic ability of the Cowardly Pacifists.

The Eternal Kawaii wrote:With all due respect to the ambassador from Cowardly Pacifists, this has to be one of the most pointless proposals ever brought before this assembly.

Normlpeople
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Normlpeople » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:40 pm

Mosktopia wrote:
Normlpeople wrote:"I am sorry ambassador, but if I read this right, it would restrict economic development of what could potentially be prime real-estate simply because some migratory bird uses it as a stopover for a couple weeks a year? If that is the case, then there is no way we can support it."

Well, that's clearly not the intention. Could you tell me what wording leads you to that conclusion and perhaps we can work out a compromise.

Clover shakes her head "Sometimes, its just one word that makes the difference. In this case, its one I myself read wrong. I retract my earlier statement, and will consider/monitor this particular proposal. Aside from that one part I messed up, I rather like it."
Words and Opinion of Clover the Clever
Ambassador to the WA for the Armed Kingdom of Normlpeople

Stormwind-City
Minister

Founded: Dec 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwind-City » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:47 pm

Mosktopia wrote:1. Notes that, as used in this act, migration means "the predictable, seasonal movement of an animal from one area to another on a greater scale than its normal daily activities;"

That could be a good excuse for a loop hole. Unfortunately not all migrating animals move in predictable patterns, such as my nation's animal the Gryphon. I mean last week instead of sticking to a route used by them for twenty years in previous migrations, an eyrie of Gryphons Traveled through a major city disrupting traffic and endangering citizens! I think you should work to make a slightly tighter definition.
Last edited by Stormwind-City on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a woman.
Ambassador Alyssa Brightspark(Yes, a gnome)
Extra!Extra!: King dead at 89! Prince abdicates! Adopted Vanessa heir presumptive! (See FB)
Now Officially a funny poster:
If you have any questions/comments, or just need someone to talk to and a shoulder to cry on, TG me. I'll be happy to help.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:24 am

OOC: This is a fantastic idea for a resolution: migratory birds was a topic discussed in the past but nothing ever came of it. I really look forward to seeing this progress.

However, I refuse to take part in any drafting debate on resolutions of this nature until a clarification on National Economic Freedoms is received, so I won't be participating in character.

Rotwood
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rotwood » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:47 am

Mel bashes her translator to make sure it works properly
*What about those animals that would be considered pests? There are those that, while on their migratory path, consume or destroy a lot of natural resources, and some sentient-made ones, and are not lacking in numbers. This could effectively protect them from pest control*
Ambassadors Jericho Reigns and Felicia Honeysworth, The Discordant Harmony of Rotwood
Taleta Ouin Vyda - Decide Your Fate
Rotan Swear Jar Tally: 28 Pax
Economic Left/Right: -4.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:41 am

"Clause 4 is already covered by 'Sensible Limits on Hunting', no? And even if it weren't, the wording should require the member nations to restrain people within their jurisdictions from such actions, rather than have the WA try to impose that restraint directly...
Other than that point though, and the point that the ambassador of
Rotwood has just raised, we are inclined to approve of this idea."

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Mosktopia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Mosktopia » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:24 am

Stormwind-City wrote:
Mosktopia wrote:1. Notes that, as used in this act, migration means "the predictable, seasonal movement of an animal from one area to another on a greater scale than its normal daily activities;"

That could be a good excuse for a loop hole. Unfortunately not all migrating animals move in predictable patterns, such as my nation's animal the Gryphon. I mean last week instead of sticking to a route used by them for twenty years in previous migrations, an eyrie of Gryphons Traveled through a major city disrupting traffic and endangering citizens! I think you should work to make a slightly tighter definition.

Perhaps the word "foreseeable" in place of "predictable" would be better?

Rotwood wrote:Mel bashes her translator to make sure it works properly
*What about those animals that would be considered pests? There are those that, while on their migratory path, consume or destroy a lot of natural resources, and some sentient-made ones, and are not lacking in numbers. This could effectively protect them from pest control*

Hmmm... We see your point. Perhaps amending the last clause thusly:

"6. Clarifies that nothing in this act prevents member nations from deterring migratory animals from becoming pests or invasive species."

Bears Armed wrote:"Clause 4 is already covered by 'Sensible Limits on Hunting', no? And even if it weren't, the wording should require the member nations to restrain people within their jurisdictions from such actions, rather than have the WA try to impose that restraint directly...
Other than that point though, and the point that the ambassador of
Rotwood has just raised, we are inclined to approve of this idea."

We of course agree that Sensible Limits on Hunting requires all member nations to regulate hunting within their borders so as to keep the animal stocks involved at sustainable and environmentally suitable levels. Clause 4 is a bit more general, restraining any action (hunting, or whathaveyou) that would unreasonably degrade the integrity of migratory animal populations. We'll certainly reword the clause as you suggest:

"4. Mandates that member nations restrain individuals, businesses, and organizations from unreasonably degrading the integrity of migratory animal populations living in, or traveling through, the territory or jurisdiction of member nations;"
Last edited by Mosktopia on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cardoness
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cardoness » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:37 pm

One States pest is another States treasured creature. In my own kingdom, on the Isle of Skay, we have a type of wolf which migrates to the northern forests in the summer and to the southern plains in the winter. While they are greatly revered by the people in the north, who have a great love of the natural world, in the south they are hated and hunted as the wolfs kill a great number of the sheep which are the driving industry there. While we are committed to protecting the environment, we also reconcile that some species do great harm to the sustenance of the people in some states. We are interested if this proposal can thread this needle and bring an acceptable resolution to the floor.
Speaker Andreas, Ambassador to the World Assembly, Founder of the United League of Nations.
Frustrated Franciscans wrote:We are firmly against the godless, utopian, progressive overreach that a small number of nations in the World Assembly want to impose upon the multiverse...

Rotwood
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rotwood » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:14 pm

Cardoness wrote:One States pest is another States treasured creature. In my own kingdom, on the Isle of Skay, we have a type of wolf which migrates to the northern forests in the summer and to the southern plains in the winter. While they are greatly revered by the people in the north, who have a great love of the natural world, in the south they are hated and hunted as the wolfs kill a great number of the sheep which are the driving industry there. While we are committed to protecting the environment, we also reconcile that some species do great harm to the sustenance of the people in some states. We are interested if this proposal can thread this needle and bring an acceptable resolution to the floor.

Mel ponders this
*It does pose a problem, though I wonder if the target of this resolution is solely migratory animals that cross international borders or if it covers those which migrate domestically too*
Ambassadors Jericho Reigns and Felicia Honeysworth, The Discordant Harmony of Rotwood

Cardoness
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cardoness » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:06 am

Rotwood wrote:
Cardoness wrote:
One States pest is another States treasured creature. In my own kingdom, on the Isle of Skay, we have a type of wolf which migrates to the northern forests in the summer and to the southern plains in the winter. While they are greatly revered by the people in the north, who have a great love of the natural world, in the south they are hated and hunted as the wolfs kill a great number of the sheep which are the driving industry there. While we are committed to protecting the environment, we also reconcile that some species do great harm to the sustenance of the people in some states. We are interested if this proposal can thread this needle and bring an acceptable resolution to the floor

Mel ponders this
*It does pose a problem, though I wonder if the target of this resolution is solely migratory animals that cross international borders or if it covers those which migrate domestically too*

My point wasn't so much about the issues facing the people of Skay, but about the similar issues facing the greater international community. I was merely using it as an example of what could be a very serious problem with this proposal if there were an arbitrary line separating north and south Skay. We would love to be able to support a proposal like this one, however, it is going to be hard to draft a resolution which can solve this dilemma and still mean anything. Hard, but not impossible. Simplicity is the key, the more "regulated" one attempts to make a proposal the more loopholes develop and the more there is for other delegates to hate about it.

Another thing to consider, there is also a large migrating animal similar to a cow on my home island. It's a herbivore, far from vicious or blood thirsty and on the whole rather stupid and it has been given ample room to prosper in its natural environment. But if there were, say, a species of sentient plants along their path, that might cause some issues.
Speaker Andreas, Ambassador to the World Assembly, Founder of the United League of Nations.
Frustrated Franciscans wrote:We are firmly against the godless, utopian, progressive overreach that a small number of nations in the World Assembly want to impose upon the multiverse...

The Socialist States of Jediism
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Socialist States of Jediism » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:02 am

While I respect the intentions of this proposal, I believe this to be to broad. Migratory animals can include very common animals. This proposal should be reduced to protecting endangered migratory animals that cross national borders.

- Horus Powers,
WA Ambassador of Jediism

Mosktopia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Mosktopia » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:09 pm

A second draft is up which takes into account the comments made thus far.

Rotwood
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rotwood » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:18 pm

Mel pours over the latest draft on her tablet
*Reads well. I'm sure we can support this. Also, I like the puppy on your flag* :oops:

Zmaier
Secretary

Founded: Jan 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Zmaier » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:35 am

The nation of Zmaier is opposed to this because we have a large meat industry and our national animal the Dragon and it migrates yearly, and if this resolution passes we would have to stop which would make our economy tank
O tempora, o mores! Senatus haec intellegit. Consul videt; hic tamen vivit. Vivit? immo vero etiam in senatum venit, fit publici consilii particeps, notat et designat oculis ad caedem unum quemque nostrum. Nos autem fortes viri satis facere rei publicae videmur, si istius furorem ac tela vitemus. Ad mortem te, Catilina, duci iussu consulis iam pridem oportebat, in te conferri pestem, quam tu in nos [omnes iam diu] machinaris.

Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Socialist States of Jediism » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:02 am

Zmaier wrote:The nation of Zmaier is opposed to this because we have a large meat industry and our national animal the Dragon and it migrates yearly, and if this resolution passes we would have to stop which would make our economy tank

I must support Zmaier on this. Jediism will stand opposed to this resolution permanently.

Mosktopia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Mosktopia » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:55 am

Zmaier wrote:The nation of Zmaier is opposed to this because we have a large meat industry and our national animal the Dragon and it migrates yearly, and if this resolution passes we would have to stop which would make our economy tank

This proposal does not affect your ability to hunt (nor could it, as Sensible Limits on Hunting already covers that area of law). The proposal requires your nation to work together with other nations to preserve the habitat and migratory path of migrating animals. Someone who hunts, say, dragons should want their habitat to be preserved so the dragon does not go extinct.

The proposal only prohibits "unreasonably degrading the integrity of migratory animal populations." Reasonable hunting of migratory animals for meat is not going to violate this proposal. In fact, some amount of hunting may be necessary to preserve the integrity of certain migrating animals (the white tailed deer, for instance, actually benefits as a species from a certain amount of hunting).

Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Socialist States of Jediism » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:06 am

I am still concerned with how broad this proposal is.

Potted Plants United
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 14, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Potted Plants United » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:23 am

OOC: Whatabout species that are an invasive species across their whole migratory range? (European starlings introduced into USA come to mind - they still migrate with seasons.)
This nation is a plant-based hivemind. It's current ambassador for interacting with humanoids is a bipedal plant creature standing at almost two metres tall. In IC in the WA.
My main nation is Araraukar.
Separatist Peoples wrote:"NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE!"
- Mr. Bell, when introduced to PPU's newest moving plant

Potted Plants United
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 14, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Potted Plants United » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:24 am

Potted Plants United wrote:OOC: Whatabout species that are an invasive species in the countries across their migratory range? (European starlings introduced into USA come to mind - they still migrate with seasons.)
This nation is a plant-based hivemind. It's current ambassador for interacting with humanoids is a bipedal plant creature standing at almost two metres tall. In IC in the WA.
My main nation is Araraukar.
Separatist Peoples wrote:"NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE!"
- Mr. Bell, when introduced to PPU's newest moving plant

Mosktopia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Mosktopia » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:43 am

Potted Plants United wrote:OOC: Whatabout species that are an invasive species across their whole migratory range? (European starlings introduced into USA come to mind - they still migrate with seasons.)

The issue of migratory animals acting as invasive species was raised and addressed in clause 6:
6. Clarifies that, notwithstanding any other provision of this act, member nations may take reasonable actions to deter migratory animals from damaging or destroying property, becoming pests, or invading non-native habitat.

That should address the problem.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:56 am

Mosktopia wrote:The issue of migratory animals acting as invasive species was raised and addressed in clause 6:

To me that reads as a future action. "Invading [new] non-native habitat". If they already are an invasive species where they currently exist, can you waive the protection clauses and try to eradicate them?

Oh, and "deter" isn't same as "destroy".

OOC: Sorry the account change, but I got tired of arguing OOCly with PPU.
Last edited by Araraukar on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Mosktopia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Mosktopia » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:00 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Mosktopia wrote:The issue of migratory animals acting as invasive species was raised and addressed in clause 6:

To me that reads as a future action. "Invading [new] non-native habitat". If they already are an invasive species where they currently exist, can you waive the protection clauses and try to eradicate them?

Oh, and "deter" isn't same as "destroy".

OOC: Sorry the account change, but I got tired of arguing OOCly with PPU.

What if we changed "deter" to "prevent"?

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:28 pm

Mosktopia wrote:
Araraukar wrote:Oh, and "deter" isn't same as "destroy".

What if we changed "deter" to "prevent"?

Doesn't change the issue. You're suggesting that trying to prevent the migrating animals from getting into your country (which, in case of birds, good luck with) is equivalent to trying to destroy them not only when they're migrating, but also when they're in your country. That's clearly not the case.

I would instead suggest putting something earlier in the post that notes that invasive species, both present and future, are not covered by the protections of this act. (And yes you can use that wording if you want.)
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives