NATION

PASSWORD

Cruithne Spaceflight Launch Vehicle Line

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]
Pharthan
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Cruithne Spaceflight Launch Vehicle Line

Postby Pharthan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:22 am

Go To Halcyon Arms Storefront For Purchase

RESTRICTION LEVEL ZERO - AVAILABLE TO ALL NATIONS

COMBINED DPR COST: $4 Billion NSD

Description:
The Cruithne Line a family of rocket-powered launch vehicles, intended as a spaceflight workhorse, designed and built by Halcyon Arms. Models include the single-core Cruithne Standard, the three-core Cruithne Heavy, and the seven-core Cruithne Magnus, each featuring a final transit stage to finalize the delivery of the cargo. All engines use Liquid Oxygen and Rocket-Grade Kerosene.

Each engine is controlled by three redundant computers using generic operating systems to ensure compatibility and reliability.
The Cruithne line is heavily tested, and designed for maximum survivability - accepting no loses of cargo. Each core is utilizes nine Icarus engines, with the propulsion spread out over all nine giving it superb "engine out" capability; even if a rocket fails, there is still enough propulsion left over; all engines utilize the same fuel source, so a failure of one engine conserves more fuel for the others to complete the mission. These engines are deployed in an octaweb pattern, eight engines configured in a circle surrounding the ninth, ensuring even heat distribution and ease of compensation by use of a gimble, should one of the other Icarus engines fail.
Each engine is allowed some degree of thrust-vectoring through use of a gimble, allowing the each core to guide itself without the use of fins, making the Cruithne more aerodynamic.

Each stage is separated pneumatically rather than explosively to ensure safety to crew and the components.

For those core-stages which do not break-up in atmospheric reentry - usually those which are discarded on the initial ascent - they are guided back to Earth, stabilized, and deploy parachutes. Before landing over ground, landing-legs are deployed to ensure the rocket-stage can be reused. Should the rocket on uneven ground or over water, airbags which double as flotation devices are deployed to ensure it's survivability.

The Heavy and Magnus models use "Asparagus Staging;" outer cores - two at a time - feed fuel to the "inner" cores, separating as their fuel load is expended. While reducing gross-thrust, it also is the most efficient way of reducing weight rapidly through expenditure of fuel and dropping propulsion stages. The initial stages are sufficient propel the rocket higher into the atmosphere where subsequent stages take over and are more effective, overall with more fuel than if all stages were used at the same fuel-burn rate. This method allows the Magnus to reach orbit with it's centerline core - and often one pair of outer-cores full of fuel, allowing the Cruithne line to push heavier payloads further; the Magnus can transport a load of 44 tons to Mars, or a full 60 tons on the Moon.

Last edited by Pharthan on Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:20 am, edited 11 times in total.
HALCYON ARMS STOREFRONT

"Humanity is a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"Besides, if God didn't want us making glowing fish and insect-resistant corn, the building blocks of life wouldn't be so easy for science to fiddle with." - Dracoria

Why haven't I had anything new in my storefront for so long? This is why. I've been busy.

Pharthan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Pharthan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:23 am

CRUITHNE
STANDARD MODEL

Unit Cost:$310 Million NSD
DPR COST: $620 Million NSD
Statistics:
ORBITER

Height:
-With Fairing: 85m (279ft)
-W/O Fairing: 72m (236ft)
Diameter: 5.18m (17ft)
Stages: 2
1st Stage Engines: 9
2nd Stage Engines: 1 Vacuum
Burn Time: 200 Sec (1st Stage), 400 Sec (2nd Stage)
Thrust: (1st Stage)
-Sea Level: 7356kN (1653695lbf)
-Vacuum: 8340kN (1874907 lbf)
Thrust: (2nd Stage)
1000kN (224808 lbf)
Payload to:
-LEO: 16380kg (36111lbs)
-GTO: 6040kg (13315lbs)
-Mars: 3745kg (8256lbs)

Last edited by Pharthan on Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
HALCYON ARMS STOREFRONT

"Besides, if God didn't want us making glowing fish and insect-resistant corn, the building blocks of life wouldn't be so easy for science to fiddle with." - Dracoria

Why haven't I had anything new in my storefront for so long? This is why. I've been busy.

Pharthan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Pharthan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:05 am

CRUITHNE
HEAVY MODEL

Unit Cost:$710 Million NSD
DPR Cost:$1420 Million NSD
Statistics:

Height:
-With Fairing: 95 meters (312ft)
-W/O Fairing: 72 meters (236ft)
Width: 22m (72ft)
Diameter:
-With Fairing: 9m (30ft)
-W/O Fairing: 5.18m (17ft)
Stages: 3
1st Stage Engines: 27
2nd Stage Engines: 9 (Part of 1st Stage)
3nd Stage Engines: 1 Vacuum
Burn Time: 120 Sec (1st Stage), 210 Sec, 400 Sec (2nd Stage)
Thrust: (Per Main Booster)
Thrust: (3rd Stage)
1000kN (224808 lbf)
Payload to:
-LEO: 66250kg (146056lbs)
-GTO: 26500kg (58422lbs)
-Mars: 16500kg (36376lbs)

Last edited by Pharthan on Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
HALCYON ARMS STOREFRONT

Pharthan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Pharthan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:12 am

CRUITHNE
MAGNUS MODEL

Unit Cost:$1.510 Billion NSD
DPR Cost:$3.02 Billion NSD
Statistics:

Height:
-With Fairing: 95 meters (312ft)
-W/O Fairing: 72 meters (236ft)
Width: 22m (72ft)
Diameter:
-With Fairing: 9m (30ft)
-W/O Fairing: 5.18m (17ft)
Stages: 5
1st Stage Engines: 63
2nd Stage Engines: 45 (Part of Previous Stages)
3rd Stage Engines: 27 (Part of Previous Stages)
4th Stage Engines: 9 (Part of Previous Stages)
5th Stage Engines: 1 Vacuum
Burn Time: 120 Sec (1st Stage), 210 Sec, 400 Sec (2nd Stage)
Thrust: (Per Main Booster)
Thrust: (5th Stage)
1000kN (224808 lbf)
Payload to:
-LEO: 147100 kg (324300lbs)
-GTO: 67420 kg (148635lbs)
-Mars: 40452 kg (89181lbs)

Last edited by Pharthan on Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:46 am, edited 5 times in total.
HALCYON ARMS STOREFRONT

Pharthan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Pharthan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:13 am

Reserved for Future Models
Last edited by Pharthan on Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
HALCYON ARMS STOREFRONT

Return to Global Economics and Trade