NATION

PASSWORD

Request for Clarification

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Request for Clarification

Postby Caninope » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Fris posted here
There is a difference between using a derogatory word for a group and posting an argument that is offensive to that group. We don't allow people to describe groups as "trannies", "kikes", or most other offensive stereotypical terms, but we most certainly don't censor arguments that certain players find offensive, as long as they are presented politely.

It is the consensus opinion of site staff that offensive arguments should be debated, not suppressed.

And may I ask for a clarification of this ruling? I know that I'm certainly not an involved party, but I'd like to ask for a secondary look, seeing as the sentiment seems to go against the rules. According the OSRS,

Flaming wrote:Erudite slams while maintaining a veneer of politeness can also be considered flaming.

Trolling wrote:Trolling is defined as posts that are made with the aim of angering people.

Neither give free reign to offensive arguments and/or comments because the poster has a silver tongue, and they seem to specifically discourage that idea.

Furthermore, if we are allowed to make offensive statements so long as they're made politely, may I now go around saying that "All those of European descent are inherently tainted with sin and a bloodlust that has led to a detrimental effect on the world as well as the cultural literacy of all societies"?
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:22 pm

Caninope wrote:Fris posted here
There is a difference between using a derogatory word for a group and posting an argument that is offensive to that group. We don't allow people to describe groups as "trannies", "kikes", or most other offensive stereotypical terms, but we most certainly don't censor arguments that certain players find offensive, as long as they are presented politely.

It is the consensus opinion of site staff that offensive arguments should be debated, not suppressed.

And may I ask for a clarification of this ruling? I know that I'm certainly not an involved party, but I'd like to ask for a secondary look, seeing as the sentiment seems to go against the rules. According the OSRS,

Flaming wrote:Erudite slams while maintaining a veneer of politeness can also be considered flaming.

Trolling wrote:Trolling is defined as posts that are made with the aim of angering people.

Neither give free reign to offensive arguments and/or comments because the poster has a silver tongue, and they seem to specifically discourage that idea.

You are confusing attempting to anger people and saying something that makes people angry. The first is trolling, no matter how it is said, the second is an argument.

I've said this many a time, but it bears repeating: Max is on record as stating that silly and stupid arguments shouldn't be verboten but drug out into the sunlight and shown to BE silly and stupid. The whole approach is how you go about it, a post designed to anger is trolling but that does not mean just because you are angry it was.

Furthermore, if we are allowed to make offensive statements so long as they're made politely, may I now go around saying that "All those of European descent are inherently tainted with sin and a bloodlust that has led to a detrimental effect on the world as well as the cultural literacy of all societies"?

We don't rule on hypotheticals.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:54 pm

NERVUN wrote:You are confusing attempting to anger people and saying something that makes people angry. The first is trolling, no matter how it is said, the second is an argument.

Then how do you justify punishments for trolling for people who genuinely believe their arguments?

If I truly believe that all X are Y, and I'm not trying to make you angry, isn't that still trolling?
I'm the Pope

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:07 pm

We 'justify' by stating, as we always have, that often it comes down to 'best judgment' and checking a player's post history, and other qualifying proofs of intent.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:10 pm

Edit: Nathi said it better.
Last edited by NERVUN on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:15 pm

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:We 'justify' by stating, as we always have, that often it comes down to 'best judgment' and checking a player's post history, and other qualifying proofs of intent.

Well that sounds incredibly nebulous, and it seems to lead to rather contradictory rulings that allow completely offensive statements and trolls go without punishment.

So, I want to revisit my question. Can I be incredibly offensive about things so long as I'm polite about it?
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:19 pm

Caninope wrote:
Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:We 'justify' by stating, as we always have, that often it comes down to 'best judgment' and checking a player's post history, and other qualifying proofs of intent.

Well that sounds incredibly nebulous, and it seems to lead to rather contradictory rulings that allow completely offensive statements and trolls go without punishment.

So, I want to revisit my question. Can I be incredibly offensive about things so long as I'm polite about it?

Caninope, we're not going to have this out, again. It's been explained to you before and honestly there is nothing to be gained from having yet another go-around.

We're simply not going to debate it.

Question answered, iLock.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation