NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Group: Teaching science violates religious freedom

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

DesAnges
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 02, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:31 am

Atlatonha wrote:I'd just like to point out that the discussion about the scientific meaning of 'theory' is really kind of irrelevant as the -theory- of evolution is NOT the same thing as the phenomenon of evolution.

Evolution as a thing that happens is -completely separate- from the compiled information, observations, and extrapolations that are called the 'theory of evolution'. It's more like the difference between a computer and a computer manual: one explains how the other works, they are not the same thing.

So no matter WHAT 'theory' means, evolution is NOT called 'the theory of evolution'. It is NOT called a theory, and your argument based on that is not only dumb, it is wrong.

If you can't even read the manual what hope do you have for using the computer?
My name is Kim-Jong Ayatollah, and I'm a big boy. I'm ten and three-quarters. I have high levels of respect for this man. <3<32 NSG, two pages into a debate
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:39 am

Tatooene wrote:
Blasveck wrote:
1. Learn the definition of scientific theory, please.
2. Evolution is a fact. It happens. You can't stop it from happening.
3. I don't care what the minority believes. The minority is wrong.

1. I'm not sure what your problem is. I never called creationism a theory, I called evolution a theory.
2. So-called micro-evolution happens, yes. That is not proof of macro-evolution, or a biogenesis, or whatever it is evolutionists believe in.
3. I don't really care who you believe is wrong. There are still millions of people who believe in creationism and it deserves a brief glance-over at the least.

To paraphrase my textbooks
"When Catholic, Jean Baptiste Lamarck proposed his ideas of inherited characteristics, people didn't like the idea of being descended from worm-like creatures, back then, they believed that god had created humans as they were"
"People made fun at Darwin's theory at first, the main belief at the time was that god had created man and the Earth in seven days."
That is a good enough mention.
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

Solsteim
Envoy

Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Solsteim » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:43 am

Blakk Metal wrote:To be fair, "how life arises continues to be a scientific mystery and there are competing ideas about it" is a correct statement.

But they are not teaching a hypothesis of belief on how life arose, they are teaching the theory of evolution, which accurately explains how less complex organism developed into organisms we see today.
Male, British,
Pro: Universal healthcare, left wing economics, civil liberties, representative democracy, Atheism, choice, rehabilitation, science, Nuclear, solar and wave power, LGTB
Meh: Interventionist foreign policy, EU, monarchy, patriotism
Against: feminism, immigration, death penalty, conspiracy theorists, authoritarianism, first past the post, political correctness, discrimination, censorship, fascism, Thatcherism, fossil fuels, fundamentalism, nationalism, religion, circumcision
Economic Left/Right: -5.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.08
My nation represents my own opinions where possible.
Everything by me is written in British English, because I am not an American!

Bavaria-Saxony
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bavaria-Saxony » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:20 am

As an atheist, my opinion toward this is, why are they thinking about parents religious freedom?
What that means is they want to not give their child a choice in what they believe, it's enforcing religion upon them and not giving them an alternative.

They are blocking children's rights, and their education Should be more important Than the parents obsession to block them out from their own opinion.

Starkiller101
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Starkiller101 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:31 am

Teaching science has nothing to do with religious freedom so christians can stop saying that it violates there freedoms
Roll tide. Your local ''Floridman'' who should have left long ago xD

Atlatonha
Civil Servant

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlatonha » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:24 am

DesAnges wrote:
Atlatonha wrote:I'd just like to point out that the discussion about the scientific meaning of 'theory' is really kind of irrelevant as the -theory- of evolution is NOT the same thing as the phenomenon of evolution.

Evolution as a thing that happens is -completely separate- from the compiled information, observations, and extrapolations that are called the 'theory of evolution'. It's more like the difference between a computer and a computer manual: one explains how the other works, they are not the same thing.

So no matter WHAT 'theory' means, evolution is NOT called 'the theory of evolution'. It is NOT called a theory, and your argument based on that is not only dumb, it is wrong.

If you can't even read the manual what hope do you have for using the computer?

Oh yes, the manual is important, as the theory explaining a phenomenon is important. But they're not the same THING. If your computer manual were totally wrong, it would not mean your computer does not exist.

Destiny Island
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Destiny Island » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:41 am

*Sighs* Why? I may need to hit you with the cross of justice.
The game.
Kirby Delauter.

4years
Senator

Founded: Aug 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby 4years » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Tatooene wrote:As a Christian, I don't mind that evolution is taught in schools, especially since it is such a prevalent belief in the US. 1. My only point is that it is still a theory, and should be treated as a theory, not a fact. 2. And there should be at least a brief, non-condescending discussion of creationism, since a fairly large minority still believe in it. 3. Even if they don't believe in creationism, it would still be beneficial to students to learn what a good number of others believe.

1. Indeed, evolution is a theory and shouldn't be taught as fact. Likewise, gravity is a theory and should shouldn't be taught as fact. /sarcasm, but seriously learn2science
2. And if a minority of people loudly proclaimed that 2+2=3766 would you suggest teaching that in a non-condescending manner as part of a mathematics course?
3. And they can, right after learning about the Zues-lighting hypothesis in a religous studies course when the topic of debunked beliefs comes up.
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -10.00 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10
"Those who do not move, do not notice their chains. "
-Rosa Luxemburg
"In place of bourgeois society with all of it's classes and class antagonisms, we shall have an association, one in which the free development of each is the condition for the free development of all" -Karl Marx
There is no such thing as rational self interest; pure reason leads to the greatest good for the greatest number.

4years
Senator

Founded: Aug 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby 4years » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:47 pm

Tatooene wrote:
Blasveck wrote:
1. Learn the definition of scientific theory, please.
2. Evolution is a fact. It happens. You can't stop it from happening.
3. I don't care what the minority believes. The minority is wrong.

1. I'm not sure what your problem is. I never called creationism a theory, I called evolution a theory.
2. So-called micro-evolution happens, yes. That is not proof of macro-evolution, or a biogenesis, or whatever it is evolutionists believe in.
3. I don't really care who you believe is wrong. There are still millions of people who believe in creationism and it deserves a brief glance-over at the least.

1. The problem is that by your logic gravity shouldn't be taught as fact.
2. Umm, there is substational proof from both evolution and biogenesis, but the point I really want to make is: There is no ***ing distinction between micro and macro evolution.
3. Argumentum ad populum.
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -10.00 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10
"Those who do not move, do not notice their chains. "
-Rosa Luxemburg
"In place of bourgeois society with all of it's classes and class antagonisms, we shall have an association, one in which the free development of each is the condition for the free development of all" -Karl Marx
There is no such thing as rational self interest; pure reason leads to the greatest good for the greatest number.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:03 pm

Bavaria-Saxony wrote:As an atheist, my opinion toward this is, why are they thinking about parents religious freedom?
What that means is they want to not give their child a choice in what they believe, it's enforcing religion upon them and not giving them an alternative.

They are blocking children's rights, and their education Should be more important Than the parents obsession to block them out from their own opinion.

Can we honestly say that a nation that denies children political authority over themselves, sovereignty over themselves, and basic human acknowledgment recognizes the rights of children? Do they have rights in the US?
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:07 pm

Aurelio wrote:
Pacifornia wrote:California Dept. of Education is seriously effed up, but at least I go to sleep soundly knowing they wouldn't accept this kind of fruitloopery. I have to wonder what the hell these people in Kansas are smoking!

They are smoking Jesus. Obviously.

So you could say it's...

*puts on sunglasses*

Holy Smoke.

HALLELUJAAAAH
Images likely to cause widespread offense, such as the swastika, are not permitted as national flags. Please see the One-Stop Rules Shop ("Acceptable Flag Policy").

Photoshopped birds flipping the bird not acceptable.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:16 pm

Ayreonia wrote:
Aurelio wrote:They are smoking Jesus. Obviously.

So you could say it's...

*puts on sunglasses*

Holy Smoke.

HALLELUJAAAAH

One does not simply get high off a sun deity.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:24 pm

Benuty wrote:
Ayreonia wrote:So you could say it's...

*puts on sunglasses*

Holy Smoke.

HALLELUJAAAAH

One does not simply get high off a sun deity.

Yes, one does.
Images likely to cause widespread offense, such as the swastika, are not permitted as national flags. Please see the One-Stop Rules Shop ("Acceptable Flag Policy").

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:27 pm

There comes a time in every girl's life when a challenge is so monumentally difficult that she simply must give up. For this girl, it is understanding how the minda of the stupid work. It is simply beyond comprehension. When I read this OP, all I could do was laugh. I was mentally paralyzed be the sheer idiocy on display. Goddammit, Kansas.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Yuktova
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Yuktova » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:30 pm

Kansas can't into science
Last edited by Yuktova on Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Morrissey... Nice to meet you.
Goldsaver said: This is murder, not a romantic date!

Len Hyet
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 25, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Len Hyet » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:35 pm

4years wrote:
Tatooene wrote:1. I'm not sure what your problem is. I never called creationism a theory, I called evolution a theory.

1. The problem is that by your logic gravity shouldn't be taught as fact.
2. Umm, there is substational proof from both evolution and biogenesis, but the point I really want to make is: There is no ***ing distinction between micro and macro evolution.
3. Argumentum ad populum.

If I may?

There seems to be a basic misunderstanding of the definition of a Scientific Theory. A Scientific Theory cannot, and will not, ever, become a Scientific Law. The two are very different things and should not be treated as similar.

A Scientific Law explains what happens. For example. If I let go of this pen, it will fall.
A Scientific Theory explains why it happens. For example. The pen will drop because of the force of Gravity.

To dumb it down even further, laws are generally If - Then statements
Theories are Laws with an explanation tacked on. Generally speaking.
Last edited by Len Hyet on Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=][= Founder, 1st NSG Irregulars. Our Militia is Well Regulated and Well Lubricated!
On a formerly defunct now re-declared one-man campaign to elevate the discourse of you heathens.
American 2L. No I will not answer your legal question.

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:35 pm

Yuktova wrote:Kansas can't into science

It's almost like they don't even try.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:37 pm

Ayreonia wrote:
Benuty wrote:One does not simply get high off a sun deity.

Yes, one does.

An irrelevant Aegyptian pseudo-deity not worshiped by billions of people across the world.
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Yuktova
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Yuktova » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:38 pm

Ayreonia wrote:
Yuktova wrote:Kansas can't into science

It's almost like they don't even try.

They probably don't as far as I know
I'm Morrissey... Nice to meet you.
Goldsaver said: This is murder, not a romantic date!

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:38 pm

Yuktova wrote:
Ayreonia wrote:It's almost like they don't even try.

They probably don't as far as I know

They used to until 1954.

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:38 pm

Benuty wrote:

An irrelevant Aegyptian pseudo-deity not worshiped by billions of people across the world.

How is that relevant? Figuratively speaking, Akhenaten got high off a sun deity.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:40 pm

Ayreonia wrote:
Benuty wrote:An irrelevant Aegyptian pseudo-deity not worshiped by billions of people across the world.

How is that relevant? Figuratively speaking, Akhenaten got high off a sun deity.

Akhenaten experienced a false high while Jesus has experienced a continual high from his worship as a sun deity.

Len Hyet
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 25, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Len Hyet » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:41 pm

Benuty wrote:
Ayreonia wrote:How is that relevant? Figuratively speaking, Akhenaten got high off a sun deity.

Akhenaten experienced a false high while Jesus has experienced a continual high from his worship as a sun deity.

I'm so confused
=][= Founder, 1st NSG Irregulars. Our Militia is Well Regulated and Well Lubricated!
On a formerly defunct now re-declared one-man campaign to elevate the discourse of you heathens.
American 2L. No I will not answer your legal question.

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:42 pm

Len Hyet wrote:
Benuty wrote:Akhenaten experienced a false high while Jesus has experienced a continual high from his worship as a sun deity.

I'm so confused

Benuty means to say that Jesus is a sun deity and that one cannot get high off of the sun deity, Jesus.
Last edited by Lost Heros on Sun Mar 6, 2016 12:00, edited 173 times in total.

You can send me a TG. I won't mind.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:43 pm

Benuty wrote:
Ayreonia wrote:How is that relevant? Figuratively speaking, Akhenaten got high off a sun deity.

Jesus... sun deity?

wat

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General