NATION

PASSWORD

The World Cup Discussion Thread (OOC, version III)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Saintland
Senator
 
Posts: 3644
Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:36 am

I guess I should be the latest to congratulate Welsh Cowboy on winning the BoF, something I have been unable to do in 2 attempts. You deserve it after your awful luck in the WBC.

By my count, there are currently 182 signups, assuming no CTEs, no errors on the signup thread OP and nobody attempted to sign up twice or violate the puppet rules. If all of that is correct and the hosts intend to use the 30x6 format, then we already have a full field.
Last edited by Saintland on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games
Official Name: Regnvm Sanctvsterra
Official Name in English: Kingdom of Saintland
Monarch: King Paulus XVI
Demonym: Sanctii
Trigram: SNT

User avatar
Audioslavia
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 3918
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Audioslavia » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:26 am

Saintland wrote:I guess I should be the latest to congratulate Welsh Cowboy on winning the BoF, something I have been unable to do in 2 attempts. You deserve it after your awful luck in the WBC.

By my count, there are currently 182 signups, assuming no CTEs, no errors on the signup thread OP and nobody attempted to sign up twice or violate the puppet rules. If all of that is correct and the hosts intend to use the 30x6 format, then we already have a full field.


Not quite. At last count we had two CTEs, so we're still waiting on two further sign-ups. If we don't achieve the full 182 by Sunday then we'll either be coaxing a puppet or two from some of you as-yet-puppetless nations or we'll be cutting a maximum of four nations (along with my own puppet Kjeligsted)

RP and Roster threads will be posted by tomorrow evening, and we're currently on the way to closing sign-ups (if they aren't full already) by about 8pm UTC on Sunday and drawing the groups the same evening, with the Syndicatian-scorinated Matchday One to come afterwards.
=♉︎=IF YOUR SIGNATURE IS LARGER THAN THIS, WHY? THE SHORTER THE SIG, THE GREATER THE LENGTHS PEOPLE GO TO READ IT◤♕◢

User avatar
Eastfield Lodge
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10231
Founded: May 23, 2008
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Eastfield Lodge » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:57 am

Audioslavia wrote:
Saintland wrote:I guess I should be the latest to congratulate Welsh Cowboy on winning the BoF, something I have been unable to do in 2 attempts. You deserve it after your awful luck in the WBC.

By my count, there are currently 182 signups, assuming no CTEs, no errors on the signup thread OP and nobody attempted to sign up twice or violate the puppet rules. If all of that is correct and the hosts intend to use the 30x6 format, then we already have a full field.


Not quite. At last count we had two CTEs, so we're still waiting on two further sign-ups. If we don't achieve the full 182 by Sunday then we'll either be coaxing a puppet or two from some of you as-yet-puppetless nations or we'll be cutting a maximum of four nations (along with my own puppet Kjeligsted)

RP and Roster threads will be posted by tomorrow evening, and we're currently on the way to closing sign-ups (if they aren't full already) by about 8pm UTC on Sunday and drawing the groups the same evening, with the Syndicatian-scorinated Matchday One to come afterwards.

You could bump up the signup thread with that announcement, and get the final two signups quite easily.
Economic Left/Right: -5.01 (formerly -5.88)
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.31 (formerly 2.36)
ISideWith UK
My motto translates to: "All Eat Fish and Chips!"
First person to post the 10,000th reply to a thread on these forums.
International Geese Brigade - Celebrating 0 Radiation and 3rd Place!
info to be added
stuff to be added
This nation partially represents my political, social and economic views.

User avatar
Welsh Cowboy
Minister
 
Posts: 2309
Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Welsh Cowboy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:55 pm

I truly appreciate all the congratulations (I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier, but I haven't quite discovered the habit of reading this thread often :blush: ). My appreciation also goes to the host, but I also thank the other participants for setting a high level for me to live up to. I think many others deserved the win as much, or more, than me.
Champions, 53rd Baptism of Fire

User avatar
The Licentian Isles
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1298
Founded: Jul 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Licentian Isles » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:58 pm

Congratulations to Welsh Cowboy, a very deserving winner.
Two Time Esportivan Champions

User avatar
Levivania
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 467
Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Levivania » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:00 pm

when exactly is world cup 66
2nd place: Silver Racket Tennis Tournament I, Banco del Prado - Tueres Tenis de Sangti
Semi Finals: Nation States Golf Championship 2013, Silver Racke Tennis Tournament II
quarterfinals: International Baseball Slam, International Baseball slam III, Twenty 20 World Championships 4, Market Cup VII
Hosted: Silver Racket I and II,
Other: 5-5 in NSCF 9 Made it the howling city Bowl


Independent leaning Libertarian

User avatar
Wight
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1118
Founded: Oct 14, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Wight » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:04 pm

.
Last edited by Wight on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
::: WIGHT :::
BECAUSE REASONS

User avatar
Neo Lemmitania
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 64
Founded: May 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Lemmitania » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:57 pm

Audioslavia wrote:If we don't achieve the full 182 by Sunday then we'll either be coaxing a puppet or two from some of you as-yet-puppetless nations or we'll be cutting a maximum of four nations (along with my own puppet Kjeligsted)


Neo Gilmeecia?

It could happen. The sacrifice could be made, if only to preserve the sanctity of a 182-nation World Cup group. Though the world may not thank me for bringing back Lou Gilsterson. But after all, last we left them, the nation was overrun by zombpires, and they're nothing if not undead and immortal.

In all seriousness, though, I wasn't planning to bring Gilmeecia back quite yet, so I hope we get a few more signups from legitimate nations. But I could work around an early return if necessary.

User avatar
Sangti
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1361
Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sangti » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:42 am

Only realized this sooner, as I am browsing the WC pre66 ranks (and projecting which pots would my nations be placed), there was a duplicate of New Lowerlands in the spreadsheet. I investigated further and found out that the two entries who had the same nation name was the same nation itself.

New Lowerlands should have not been eligible for the BoF, as they competed in the WC65 qualifying and had KPB points coming into the competition.

His signup in WC65 can be found here.
THE ROYAL UNION OF SANGTI AND THE FILINDO ISLES
Region: Esportiva | Sportswire | Trigramme: SFI | Leader: Alfonso Arias| Libertad Sportswear - re-opening soon
Founder, Trofeo de Paz
Winners, World Baseball Classic 29, NSCAA 6, Federation Club Cup I, Rugby Union World Cup 23 | Qualified for World Cup 68, 69 and 71

User avatar
Gregoryisgodistan
Senator
 
Posts: 3907
Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:21 am

Sangti wrote:Only realized this sooner, as I am browsing the WC pre66 ranks (and projecting which pots would my nations be placed), there was a duplicate of New Lowerlands in the spreadsheet. I investigated further and found out that the two entries who had the same nation name was the same nation itself.

New Lowerlands should have not been eligible for the BoF, as they competed in the WC65 qualifying and had KPB points coming into the competition.

His signup in WC65 can be found here.


And I came in third in his group. That hurts. I would have gone to the knockout stage. This isn't fair.
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
World Indoor Soccer Championship 6 - 2nd place
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
WB XXII 10th Place in Casaran, advanced to Round of 32
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WCoH 27 co-host and champs
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

User avatar
Saintland
Senator
 
Posts: 3644
Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:23 am

Sangti wrote:Only realized this sooner, as I am browsing the WC pre66 ranks (and projecting which pots would my nations be placed), there was a duplicate of New Lowerlands in the spreadsheet. I investigated further and found out that the two entries who had the same nation name was the same nation itself.

New Lowerlands should have not been eligible for the BoF, as they competed in the WC65 qualifying and had KPB points coming into the competition.

His signup in WC65 can be found here.


From what I can tell, there is nothing in the Constitution regarding how to handle this situation. Personally, I'd be in favor of going with the lower of the 2 KPBs in cases where an ineligible nation intentionally enters the BoF (see: this, this, this and this).
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games
Official Name: Regnvm Sanctvsterra
Official Name in English: Kingdom of Saintland
Monarch: King Paulus XVI
Demonym: Sanctii
Trigram: SNT

User avatar
Gregoryisgodistan
Senator
 
Posts: 3907
Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:28 am

It appears I confused New Lowerlands with New Lonopolian Empire who was also in my group. New Lowerlands came in 5th and only won one game.
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
World Indoor Soccer Championship 6 - 2nd place
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
WB XXII 10th Place in Casaran, advanced to Round of 32
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WCoH 27 co-host and champs
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

User avatar
Horusland
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21546
Founded: May 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Horusland » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:29 am

Saintland wrote:
Sangti wrote:Only realized this sooner, as I am browsing the WC pre66 ranks (and projecting which pots would my nations be placed), there was a duplicate of New Lowerlands in the spreadsheet. I investigated further and found out that the two entries who had the same nation name was the same nation itself.

New Lowerlands should have not been eligible for the BoF, as they competed in the WC65 qualifying and had KPB points coming into the competition.

His signup in WC65 can be found here.


From what I can tell, there is nothing in the Constitution regarding how to handle this situation. Personally, I'd be in favor of going with the lower of the 2 KPBs in cases where an ineligible nation intentionally enters the BoF (see: this, this, this and this).

Shouldn't his score be recalculated? :/
A series of strange bipolar phenomena collectively known as adolescence, taking over a nation formerly terrorizing NSG as an awkward and slightly braindead child.

User avatar
Saintland
Senator
 
Posts: 3644
Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:47 am

HorusLand wrote:
Saintland wrote:
From what I can tell, there is nothing in the Constitution regarding how to handle this situation. Personally, I'd be in favor of going with the lower of the 2 KPBs in cases where an ineligible nation intentionally enters the BoF (see: this, this, this and this).

Shouldn't his score be recalculated? :/


To include both? Wouldn't that be rewarding him for illegally entering the BoF? The options here are:

1) Include both his BoF 53 and WC65 Qualifying points in his KPB
2) Include only points earned in BoF 53
3) Include only points earned in WC65 Qualifying
4) Include the lower of the 2 scores
5) Include the higher of the 2 scores
6) Include neither

Options 1 and 5 reward illegal entry into the BoF. Option 6 is absolutely excessive. That leaves options 2 through 4.
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games
Official Name: Regnvm Sanctvsterra
Official Name in English: Kingdom of Saintland
Monarch: King Paulus XVI
Demonym: Sanctii
Trigram: SNT

User avatar
Horusland
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21546
Founded: May 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Horusland » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:59 am

Saintland wrote:
HorusLand wrote:Shouldn't his score be recalculated? :/


To include both? Wouldn't that be rewarding him for illegally entering the BoF? The options here are:

1) Include both his BoF 53 and WC65 Qualifying points in his KPB
2) Include only points earned in BoF 53
3) Include only points earned in WC65 Qualifying
4) Include the lower of the 2 scores
5) Include the higher of the 2 scores
6) Include neither

Options 1 and 5 reward illegal entry into the BoF. Option 6 is absolutely excessive. That leaves options 2 through 4.

Oh, I get it now. :/
A series of strange bipolar phenomena collectively known as adolescence, taking over a nation formerly terrorizing NSG as an awkward and slightly braindead child.

User avatar
Sangti
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1361
Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sangti » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:08 am

Saintland wrote:To include both? Wouldn't that be rewarding him for illegally entering the BoF? The options here are:

1) Include both his BoF 53 and WC65 Qualifying points in his KPB
2) Include only points earned in BoF 53
3) Include only points earned in WC65 Qualifying
4) Include the lower of the 2 scores
5) Include the higher of the 2 scores
6) Include neither

Options 1 and 5 reward illegal entry into the BoF. Option 6 is absolutely excessive. That leaves options 2 through 4.

I am not a member of the WCC, but for me option 3 would be the logical option, but it is just my opinion.
THE ROYAL UNION OF SANGTI AND THE FILINDO ISLES
Region: Esportiva | Sportswire | Trigramme: SFI | Leader: Alfonso Arias| Libertad Sportswear - re-opening soon
Founder, Trofeo de Paz
Winners, World Baseball Classic 29, NSCAA 6, Federation Club Cup I, Rugby Union World Cup 23 | Qualified for World Cup 68, 69 and 71

User avatar
Zwangzug
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5480
Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:49 am

We have precedent for this kind of thing, and in general, the standard procedure is to not count any BoF points if, like this, the team should not have been eligible for the BoF. So I'll delete New Lowerlands' more recent appearance now. Thanks for spotting this! :)
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

User avatar
Vaugania
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1545
Founded: Nov 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaugania » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:23 pm

I'm not quite understanding all of the columns in the newest rankings. Could someone explain them to me?

To be more specific, I would like to know what the numbers in column Q, S, U, W, Y, etc. are. Everyone has the same number in each column and I can't tell what it has to do with the rankings. Another thing I can't understand is why the number of games played in BoF 53 is under CoH 55, but my point total is under BoF53. Also, I am listed as having 1.56 pts, but 14 points over 8 games is 1.75, is it not? Or is there something to the formula I am missing?
My most favoritest picture ever | Sports Achievements | Poltical Test... just as I suspected
Population: 120,000,000
President: Kris Strong
Active Military: 2,000,000
Military Reserves: 6,500,000 (mandatory reserve service from 18-21)
VAUGANIA
RUSHMORE FOREVER
Just call me Vaug. Or not if that's how you roll.

User avatar
New Sideburn
Diplomat
 
Posts: 612
Founded: Feb 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sideburn » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:24 pm

Did you win any games after extra time or on penalties? Pretty sure one or both of those are counted as draws.
The old ways were best!

Original nation behind Nephara. New Sideburn now symbolises an ideal, rather than a nation.

User avatar
Karditan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1014
Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Karditan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:26 pm

I'm liking the shout-outs to Kiryu-shi's and my home stadium situations once-upon-a-time in the roster thread.
Champions: -n/a-
Runner-up: BoF 46; WBXX
Qualified for WC63
Hosted: WBXX; WBXL
<Audio> I'm singling out Karditan for reasons that should be fucking obvious after the past twelve months
<Karditan> Sssshh, some people haven't caught onto our man love, Audio.
<Audio> I'm drunk, I'll express my manlove for whomever I damned well please
<Karditan> And now, for a stirring rendition of the Equestrian States national anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmVWvOC_2HU
<Audio> why did I even click on that?
<Nephara> why did I expect that to be
<Audio> what was I expecting?
<Nephara> anything other than it was
Nephara clears internet history

User avatar
Vaugania
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1545
Founded: Nov 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaugania » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:27 pm

New Sideburn wrote:Did you win any games after extra time or on penalties? Pretty sure one or both of those are counted as draws.


Nope. Everything wrapped up during regulation.
My most favoritest picture ever | Sports Achievements | Poltical Test... just as I suspected
Population: 120,000,000
President: Kris Strong
Active Military: 2,000,000
Military Reserves: 6,500,000 (mandatory reserve service from 18-21)
VAUGANIA
RUSHMORE FOREVER
Just call me Vaug. Or not if that's how you roll.

User avatar
Equestrian States
Senator
 
Posts: 3869
Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Equestrian States » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:34 pm

Vaugania wrote:I would like to know what the numbers in column Q, S, U, W, Y, etc. are. Everyone has the same number in each column and I can't tell what it has to do with the rankings.

It's the maximum number of matches a team could theoretically play in that tournament, including both the group stage and the knockout rounds. They are included for all ranked teams as the spreadsheet would generate an "divide by zero" error if they were excluded. In short, it's technical stuff that involves maths and such, so you can ignore it if you want to.

And they're not new either. Look at the past rankings, and you'll notice that they've been there for quite some time.
83rd World Cup Champions
58th & 59th AOCAF Cup Champions
5x World Cup, 2x Cup of Harmony, 1x Baptism of Fire, 2x World Cup of Hockey, 3x World Baseball Classic, 1x World Bowl, 2x International Basketball Championship Host

User avatar
Vaugania
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1545
Founded: Nov 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaugania » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:38 pm

Equestrian States wrote:
Vaugania wrote:I would like to know what the numbers in column Q, S, U, W, Y, etc. are. Everyone has the same number in each column and I can't tell what it has to do with the rankings.

It's the maximum number of matches a team could theoretically play in that tournament, including both the group stage and the knockout rounds. They are included for all ranked teams as the spreadsheet would generate an "divide by zero" error if they were excluded. In short, it's technical stuff that involves maths and such, so you can ignore it if you want to.

And they're not new either. Look at the past rankings, and you'll notice that they've been there for quite some time.


I see. It would likely be pretty bad if we made any tears in the space-time continuum.
My most favoritest picture ever | Sports Achievements | Poltical Test... just as I suspected
Population: 120,000,000
President: Kris Strong
Active Military: 2,000,000
Military Reserves: 6,500,000 (mandatory reserve service from 18-21)
VAUGANIA
RUSHMORE FOREVER
Just call me Vaug. Or not if that's how you roll.

User avatar
Equestrian States
Senator
 
Posts: 3869
Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Equestrian States » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:48 pm

Vaugania wrote:I see. It would likely be pretty bad if we made any tears in the space-time continuum.

Indeed.
Audioslavia wrote:...asserting that your nation is comprised of eleven immortal goddesses who cannot be beaten won't be too believable if you're a lower-ranked nation, and telling us your players are all aged twelve yet are somehow ranked in the world's top ten is just as unbelievable...

Amusingly, both of these somewhat describe ideas I've had for WCC puppets. And though my team of aged twelve players may not have made it into the top ten, they did get into the top 100 before I pulled the plug on them. 8)
83rd World Cup Champions
58th & 59th AOCAF Cup Champions
5x World Cup, 2x Cup of Harmony, 1x Baptism of Fire, 2x World Cup of Hockey, 3x World Baseball Classic, 1x World Bowl, 2x International Basketball Championship Host

User avatar
Tasrailia
Envoy
 
Posts: 223
Founded: Feb 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tasrailia » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:48 pm

May I ask where the WC rankings are?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tikariot

Advertisement

Remove ads